Forums
New
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jun 23, 2015 7:37 PM

May 2014
astroprogs said:

laidellent said:
meh,Gil's English VA wasn't that good

He sounded more whiny than graceful and kingly, yeah, but his performance was serviceable IMO.

Perfect for UBW then.
Jun 24, 2015 1:09 PM

May 2015
Can't wait for rewatch.I like it.Though other people might have different preferences,it was a decent show for me.And as an Eng Dub fan,i'm looking forward to it.
Jun 24, 2015 2:21 PM

Oct 2014
I thought Gil's VA was good :/
Jun 24, 2015 9:21 PM

Apr 2014
nocorras said:
I thought Gil's VA was good :/

I thought David Vincent did a great job as Gil and pulled off the arrogance and kingly demeanor quite well. Of course, Seki Tomokazu is still the best King of Heroes.
Jun 26, 2015 10:23 AM

Oct 2013
Comic_Sans said:
nocorras said:
So they can destroy our ears with Rin and Shirou's VA.
What a piece of shit

And the dub fans be like STFU THIS DUB ROCKS

And then they be like I WANNA PLAY THE VN

And then they be like Y IS THIS NOT IN ENGLISH Y DIDNT THE JAPS HIRE THE ENGLISH VAS INSTEAD

oh my gosh please tell me this is not something you believe we dub fans actually think or would say. ._.

Anyway, as far as I'm aware this is being dubbed by the same studio that dubbed Fate/Zero. Considering the F/Z dub is flawless, I'm pretty interested. It'll be a lot weirder to watch a F/SN dub than it was to watch F/Z's dub due to F/SN's cast having voices I'm already intimately familiar with due to the VN. It took me quite a while to get used to Kari Wahlgren as Saber in F/Z despite how excellent her voice acting for it was.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Jun 26, 2015 10:33 AM

Mar 2013
F/Z dub was arse

they cut out Kirei's magnificent engrish in the last episode.

doesn't matter how good or bad the rest of it was, that alone makes it automatically shit.
Jun 26, 2015 10:52 AM

Oct 2013
fst said:
F/Z dub was arse

they cut out Kirei's magnificent engrish in the last episode.

doesn't matter how good or bad the rest of it was, that alone makes it automatically shit.

Thank goodness I never watched it subbed then, heh heh.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Jun 26, 2015 11:29 AM

Aug 2010
I wonder how they'll deal with " I am the bone of my sword". I know it sounds awkward in English, but UBW isn't UBW without the magnificent Engrish chant.

2006's dub utterly butchered it, while the movie retained it, so it can go both ways at this point.
Jun 26, 2015 11:31 AM

Mar 2013
astroprogs said:
I wonder how they'll deal with " I am the bone of my sword". I know it sounds awkward in English, but UBW isn't UBW without the magnificent Engrish chant.

2006's dub utterly butchered it, while the movie retained it, so it can go both ways at this point.

2006 dub didn't have engrish, but it gave us gay bulge instead, so I'm ok with that.
Jul 2, 2015 6:40 AM

Aug 2010
Aniplex sets up the Fate/stay night wall at Anime Expo:
Jul 2, 2015 6:44 AM

Feb 2015
not genuine..there should be only Saber in that poster after all :P

Anyways nice one
Jul 2, 2015 7:16 AM

May 2015
astroprogs said:
Aniplex sets up the Fate/stay night wall at Anime Expo:

Yes!!!!!! Dub!! Here i come!!
Jul 2, 2015 7:44 AM

Mar 2015
I'm attending. If anyone from here wants to chill let me know.

Strangely I have no idea what to ask Miura without coming off as crazy (WHY DID YOU RUIN UBW?!)

Any suggestions?
Jul 2, 2015 7:45 AM

Feb 2015
Ask him if Mind of Steel end is confirmed in HF...he is heading HF last time I checked
Jul 2, 2015 7:56 AM

Aug 2010
Caliburn220 said:
I'm attending. If anyone from here wants to chill let me know.

Strangely I have no idea what to ask Miura without coming off as crazy (WHY DID YOU RUIN UBW?!)

Any suggestions?

You're going? That's great.

Hmmm. You could ask him if there was any conscious decision to make the adaptation more similar to Fate/Zero by putting more focus on the characters around Shirou (sort of emulating an ensemble cast feel)?
Jul 2, 2015 6:16 PM

Oct 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDFWHD9cm-E

This sounds awful 'you are to be rejoicing boy'
Jul 2, 2015 6:17 PM

Jul 2007
And here I thought ufoUBW could NOT become worse.

GG dub.
Jul 2, 2015 6:19 PM

May 2014
nocorras said:

I just can't. I'm too deep in the nippon.
Jul 2, 2015 6:22 PM

Aug 2010
nocorras said:

Well, the good news is Shirou's voice actor: Bryce Papenbrook (Eren Yeager from AoT). He's a very good VA.
The bad news, THE FUCK DID YOU REPLACE LIAM O'BRIEN FOR?

At least Kirei, Saber, and Rin sounded from alright to great.

But damn, i can't get over Archer's voice.
astroprogsJul 2, 2015 6:28 PM
Jul 2, 2015 6:29 PM

Aug 2010
Fun fact: Bryce also voices Kirito.
Oh this is just too good LMAO.
Jul 2, 2015 6:40 PM

Jul 2007
> shirou's VA
> Good
> Voices screaming idiots like eren and kirito.

GG astro.
Jul 2, 2015 6:44 PM

Aug 2010
CookingPriest said:
> shirou's VA
> Good

GG astro.

It's perfectly suitable for this Shirou. A more calm and older sounding Shirou wouldn't really mesh with what's actually happening on screen.

Or this could just be me glad it's not Sam Riegel.
Jul 2, 2015 7:11 PM

Jun 2015
Bryce Papenbrook... Eeeeeeeh. I know Yuri Lowenthal is almost cliche at this point, but I would have preferred him, since I think he captures the sharp, pointed quality of Noriaki's voice really well. He sounds very generic at the moment and not much better than Riegal. Maybe that will change once I've seen the dub but eeeeeeeh.

Archer sounds weird. I thought Liam was too deep but whoa that Archer sounded really off.

Mela Lee Rin I've always enjoyed.

lol they ruined Rejoice. Also Crispin Freeman sounds too young for old Kirei. But I like his voicework so maybe I'll let it slide.

Tony Oliver Lancer I can dig, but I'll always hear him as Zhang Fei.

I always liked Kate Higgins Saber but Kari is decent.

Mixed feelings about this dub. I have this really big feeling that I won't enjoy it near as much as I enjoyed the F/Z dub.
-Sherou-Jul 2, 2015 9:37 PM

Jul 2, 2015 7:12 PM

Mar 2013
CookingPriest said:
> shirou's VA
> Good

GG astro.

implying Shirou isn't a screaming idiot

in all seriousness I can never take these dubs seriously because WHY THE FUCK DOES KING ARTHUR SPEAK LIKE AN AMERICAN
Jul 2, 2015 7:21 PM

Aug 2010
Sherou said:
Bryce Papenbrook... Eeeeeeeh. I know Yuri Lowenthal is almost cliche at this point, but I would have preferred him, since I think he captures the sharp, pointed quality of Noriaki's voice really well. He sounds very generic at the moment and not much better than Riegal. Maybe that will change once I've seen the dub but eeeeeeeh.

I LOVE Yuri, but he has exactly four voices:
1) The kiddy voice (early Simon from Gurren Lagann).
2) The whiny voice (Yosuke from P4).
3) The badass protagonist voice (late Simon).
4) The emo character voice (Sasuke - Haseo from .hack// - Yuki Makoto from P3 - and tons more...).

That's all the voices he's absolutely perfect in doing, from what i can see. He doesn't suit Shirou that much IMHO.

fst said:

in all seriousness I can never take these dubs seriously because WHY THE FUCK DOES KING ARTHUR SPEAK LIKE AN AMERICAN

LMAO. Exactly my thoughts when i watched Zero's dub.
Jul 2, 2015 7:23 PM

May 2014
astroprogs said:
I LOVE Yuri

Me too.
Jul 2, 2015 8:30 PM

Feb 2015
>That Shirou
>That Rin
>That Archer

Nope.Just Nope
Jul 2, 2015 8:45 PM

Oct 2014
laidellent said:
>That Shirou
>That Rin
>That Archer

Nope.Just Nope

Pretty much my thought. Soon as I heard how they butchered 'Rejoice boy' I knew I wouldn't watch this.

It's a shame, because the F/Z dub was actually pretty good.
Jul 2, 2015 9:06 PM

Jun 2014
After re-watching F/Z in dub i had hopes that UBW dub will be decent , man i am really disappointed T_T mainly because F/Z dub was really amazing. It feels like the VA's are trying too hard to be too dramatic especially Shirou's VA.
Jul 2, 2015 9:16 PM

Sep 2013
astroprogs said:
fst said:

If we can accept that she spoke Japanese in her flashbacks to medieval Britain, I don't see much of an issue with her speaking like an American.

Seems like a silly thing to get hung up on.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 2, 2015 9:20 PM

Aug 2010
UPDATE: Trailer added to OP. Thanks nocorras.

Mickdrew said:
astroprogs said:

If we can accept that she spoke Japanese in her flashbacks to medieval Britain, I don't see much of an issue with her speaking like an American.

I get your point, but she's the, supposedly, only English speaking character in an English dubbed show. Wouldn't it make more sense to make her accent more British even if she was speaking Japanese in the show to the characters?
At least i think it would.
Jul 2, 2015 9:34 PM

Sep 2013
Oh gawd this dub won't be very good....

Kirei should be Jamieson Price, NOT Crispin Freeman. He did a good job as younger Kirei, but as older Kirei it sounds off. Price has the deep base that Kirei needs to have.

Saber should be Kate Higgins. Again, Kari will do a good job - she's a talented VA, but I just don't see her playing moe Saber very well.

Shirou is Bryce Papenbrook..... argggh kill me now. I never liked this guy. His voice is so melodramatic and over the top I could never take him seriously in other shows. Honestly, I'd have even taken JYB a million times before PapenBrook.

Why isn't Archer Liam O'Brien? Who is this new guy? He sounds terrible! I promise you, O'Brien would have been a hundred times better as him.

At least Ayako gets Brina Palencia <33
She'll do her justice 100%

Mela Lee was always good as Rin. I'm glad she's back.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 2, 2015 9:36 PM

Mar 2013
Mickdrew said:
astroprogs said:

That's not really the problem. In Japanese, that's all they can do. By that logic, Shirou speaking english in the dub should be just as unacceptable.

But in English, they have the opportunity to do something that isn't possible in Japanese that would have added a lot. Lancer with a legit irish accent would have been kick ass, and Saber speaking with a british accent adds a lot to the poise that the rest of her dialogue projects.

And they chose not to do that. It's tremendously disappointing because it's such a huge missed opportunity. If they don't go for touches like that and take advantage of the opportunities they have, they'll always be playing catch-up to the sub in terms of quality and enjoyability.
Jul 2, 2015 9:41 PM

Jun 2015
fst said:
Mickdrew said:

That's not really the problem. In Japanese, that's all they can do. By that logic, Shirou speaking english in the dub should be just as unacceptable.

But in English, they have the opportunity to do something that isn't possible in Japanese that would have added a lot. Lancer with a legit irish accent would have been kick ass, and Saber speaking with a british accent adds a lot to the poise that the rest of her dialogue projects.

And they chose not to do that. It's tremendously disappointing because it's such a huge missed opportunity. If they don't go for touches like that and take advantage of the opportunities they have, they'll always be playing catch-up to the sub in terms of quality and enjoyability.

This. One of the biggest reasons I enjoyed the Hellsing Ultimate dub more than the sub (sorry Wakamoto and Jouji) was that they managed to have authentic accents that fit the characters they were playing. It really helped elevate the dub from being a simple "anime dub" to actually sounding like a professional dub one might even hear in a well done American cartoon.

Jul 2, 2015 9:46 PM

Mar 2013
Like, the Black Lagoon dub would be just another dub if it didn't insert lines like "limp dick son of a bitch" all over the place (which I presume wasn't in the original, since japanese insults tend not to be as diverse, though they do say fuck a lot). I sure as hell wouldn't recommend people to watch the subbed version of Black Lagoon.

Baccano is another show that you just have to watch dubbed because of the accents.

Fate could have been one of those shows if they had done it well, but instead, they didn't even try.
Jul 2, 2015 9:47 PM

Aug 2010
Tony Oliver, the director and scriptwriter of this show, was also the director and scriptwriter of Fate/Zero and one of my favorite game trilogy ever; .hack//G.U. He's a real professional who worked on some VERY good dubs.

I think we're freaking up just a tad. I mean the majority of the cast are some of the best VA's, and they're working under a pretty awesome director with granted-to-be awesome script.

I mean, I'm still pissed off they replaced FREAKING LIAM O'BRIEN-ahem... with this guy: http://myanimelist.net/people/8491/Kaiji_Tang
But I'll give him a fair chance, and i think he'll be fine. NOT AS GOOD AS FREAKING LIAM O'BRIEN WAS, but decent enough.
Jul 2, 2015 9:49 PM

Mar 2013
to be honest, from the trailer, this doesn't even sound as good as the F/Z dub.
Jul 2, 2015 9:52 PM

May 2014
That's the crew you'll be getting for Heavens Feel too. Revel in agony.
Jul 2, 2015 9:53 PM

Aug 2010
fst said:

Yeah, i still remember F/Z's dub trailer. That shit gave me goosebumps from how epic it was.

This one, not so much. At least Kirei and Kerry are guaranteed to be great. All ten minutes of their screen time.
WrongPriest said:

Jul 2, 2015 9:54 PM

Jun 2015
fst said:

The F/Z dub was actually really good though, aside from some stilted dialogues and lack of accents. Pretty much every VA fit their characters unlike in this dub where we can hear at least 3 off VAs right off the bat.

Jul 2, 2015 9:55 PM

Oct 2014
WrongPriest said:

At least Sakura got a new VA, old one was beyond awful
Jul 2, 2015 9:59 PM

Mar 2013
WrongPriest said:

What agony?

I'm not going to watch the dub...
Jul 2, 2015 10:00 PM

May 2014
nocorras said:
WrongPriest said:

She did Homu-homu for the English dub of Madoka didn't she?

Was it any good?
Jul 2, 2015 10:00 PM

May 2014
fst said:
WrongPriest said:

What agony?

I wasn't talking about us sane people.
Jul 2, 2015 10:01 PM

Mar 2013
WrongPriest said:
fst said:

What agony?

I wasn't talking about us sane people.

>us sane people

pls

we spend far too much time here to be considered "sane" by the normal standards of society at large.
Jul 2, 2015 10:09 PM

Sep 2013
astroprogs said:
I think we're freaking up just a tad. I mean the majority of the cast are some of the best VA's, and they're working under a pretty awesome director with granted-to-be awesome script.

I watch dubs whenever there is a decent one available - the FZ dub was actually the first Type Moon product I ever experienced. Even I am enormously disappointed by this.

To be completely honest, I may have complained about Saber and Kirei's VA choices, but those are relatively minor issues. It's nothing that ordinary dub watchers like myself wouldn't gladly accept.

However, Shirou and Archer's voices cannot be overlooked. They're the two most important characters, and it's gone badly wrong. When I first watched SnK, I switched to the sub of my own choosing just because I couldn't stand hearing Bryce Papenbrook as Eren.
Jul 2, 2015 10:10 PM

Oct 2014
WrongPriest said:
nocorras said:

Was it any good?

Hmm I remember this person's work she voices this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wETniLRxcsw (this was a while ago)
Jul 2, 2015 10:11 PM

Jun 2015
WrongPriest said:
nocorras said:

Was it any good?

She also played Noel in Blazblue

Jul 2, 2015 10:11 PM

May 2014
I didn't know she voices Riven lol

'The time for talk is over"
Jul 2, 2015 10:14 PM

Oct 2014
WrongPriest said:
I didn't know she voices Riven lol

'The time for talk is over"

Only clicked for me because I remembered her face from a LoL tournament.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) 2nd Season Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Apr 11, 2015

1719 by icim_fitto »»
Apr 27, 4:58 AM

Poll: » Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) 2nd Season Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Apr 4, 2015

1557 by Swatheesh123 »»
Apr 9, 8:52 AM

Poll: » Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) 2nd Season Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Jun 13, 2015

1574 by ToG25thBaam »»
Mar 29, 12:29 PM

Poll: » Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) 2nd Season Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - May 17, 2015

1448 by ToG25thBaam »»
Mar 29, 9:40 AM

Poll: » Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) 2nd Season Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - May 9, 2015

1316 by ToG25thBaam »»
Mar 29, 9:35 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.