3It was OK
9.7%
2Disliked it
1.8%
1Hated it
1.3%
Average 4.5
544 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Feb 17, 2008 2:35 AM

Jan 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
so... Keiichi didn't die this time. xD
but everyone else died 'cause he wished for it? 0.o
every wish he wished came true, huh?
oh well... onto the next episode. :]
Mar 10, 2008 1:19 PM

Jan 2008
Heh that was great ^_^
I got chills when heard that there actually was one survivor ^_^
Can't wait to watch the rest ;D
Mar 11, 2008 3:07 PM
Jul 2018
but why did Rika die?
this show is creepy.
Mar 11, 2008 6:21 PM

Dec 2007
The response to both the question and the statement:

That's the whole point!
Apr 15, 2008 10:46 PM

Feb 2008
Well, that's something unanswered. So far, we know that in this chapter, every time Keiichi wished for someone to die, it happens. And it is because of the Shrine God's curse or Satoshi?

I know now what happened to the arm of the sacred statue, etc etc.

What left unanswered is what happened to the uncle and why does Rika died?

Well, I have a speculation about what happened to the uncle. I think the uncle really died, but after Keiichi buried him, someone dug him up and TORTURED him. In episode 8, the first part of this chapter, we can see the uncle of Satoko floating in the river inside a garbage bag, right? And he was tortured with his entrails out and his fingers nailed.
Jun 5, 2008 12:24 AM

Sep 2007
Wait! Keichi died at the bridge!
And what, he lives at this gas explosion? :P

Damnit! Don't die without my permission!
Jun 5, 2008 12:26 AM

Apr 2008
He didnt die, he just fell~
Jun 6, 2008 9:40 PM
Apr 2008
the last episode threw me off, but this one brought me back, it's no longer confusing, just very interesting. the uncle did die, good. i wonder what happened to ooshi(sp?) though.
Jul 9, 2008 4:24 AM

May 2008
Yeah,I'd like to know what happened to that ooshi-san guy too. People keep dying or disappearing;that's the point of the anime,I guess ^^

The end was a cliff -hanger,or should I say bridge-hanger:so Keiichi falls into the river then survives a gas explosion...hmm.
Jul 12, 2008 6:49 PM

Jun 2008
This isn't the end of this chapter is it?? I hope not o___o

Keiichi didn't die!!! WHYYYY??? I still don't like him that much =/

Sig WILL change soon~
Jul 15, 2008 1:06 PM

Apr 2008
Scaary~

Jul 20, 2008 12:13 AM

Mar 2008
Uss said:
Heh that was great ^_^
I got chills when heard that there actually was one survivor ^_^
Can't wait to watch the rest ;D

i got chills too lol

that was so confusing lol
Jul 22, 2008 1:20 PM

Jul 2008
omg its getting weirder and scarier :o kawai dese!!!! Love this show!! keichi your one lucky bastard rofl :p up to the next episode :D

Grtz lsumi o(^^)o
Born to live
Born to die
Born to be, crucified
Give our souls and take our pride
Bleeding for the harder styles
Rising up, from the seed
Born to change, history
From the streets we unleash hell
Feel the power, decibel!! d(^.^)b
Aug 7, 2008 1:29 PM

Mar 2008
Wow, Keiichi actually didn't die this time. xD; Well, at least in this arc everyone that Kei wants to die actually does, but how does it explain Rika's death? He was pretty much insane during this whole ep. I don't blame him though...honestly, this just gets more twisted each time. I love it.
Aug 18, 2008 11:00 PM

May 2008
meconopsis said:
but why did Rika die?
this show is creepy.

Yeah I don't get that either, it's not like he wished for it.

So we've learned that when Keiichi doesn't die, everyone else does.D:

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Sep 2, 2008 5:49 PM

Oct 2007
wow that arch freaked me out :O
Sep 6, 2008 1:30 AM

Aug 2008
What a gruesome sight...
Rika-chan's murder...

Sep 13, 2008 3:24 AM

Jun 2008
Sooooo.... the village people died because of the vulcanic gas... while he was taken away by the river... so he didn't get that much of the stuff... awwww... I love this stuff... If there is a village like this, I'd really like to pay a visit ^^
Sep 20, 2008 10:21 AM

Sep 2008
I read somewhere that this show has 4 question arcs and answer arcs for the first 2 arcs. The sequel has 2 new question arcs and 4 answer arcs, answers to these arcs and the 2 new ones.

Higurashi: Retroactively asserting why scary and cute sound so similar in Japanese.
Oct 1, 2008 10:00 PM

Jul 2008
Wow that wasvery confusing. I was kind of thinking that this whole arc was just in Keiichi's mind because of the explosion for some reason. Or it was just that he got extremel lucky by being swept up in that river.

This episode confirms that the things that happened in previous arcs really did happen though, at the least the good things that is. Like the picnic in episode 2 I think it was. I'm interestd to see what else really happened. Oh, and it showed that all of these events are taking place in 1983 because of the expiration date on the food. What's so significant that it had to take place at that time and not now?
Oct 4, 2008 6:08 AM

Jan 2008
Die already, geez, well, on to the next arc (probably)
~de Arimasu
Oct 4, 2008 8:10 AM
Aug 2008
dude this anime doesnt make sense, everything feels so random WTF
Oct 15, 2008 3:28 PM

Aug 2008
Poor Keiichi...even though I don't really like him that much, I feel sorry for him. I'm not sure his survival could be counted as being lucky; I mean, how will he feel when he wakes up and realizes that everyone is dead because of him?
Oct 22, 2008 3:27 PM

Nov 2007
I guess every person who causes trouble is saved by the curse? That would explain why keichii is the only survivor.
Oct 28, 2008 5:51 PM

Aug 2008
Keiichi didn't die!! omg!
And this time around, everybody else died!
So who killed Rika, and why?

By the way, in the version I wacthed of this episode, Rika-chan's corpse was slightly "censored", as in the infamous "mysteryous" shade appeared around her body... I just saw her all bloody. If the version, if there's a different one, that any of you have watched, is different and shows more, can you tell me if she had any other injuries? ^^

babykeiji said:
Well, I have a speculation about what happened to the uncle. I think the uncle really died, but after Keiichi buried him, someone dug him up and TORTURED him. In episode 8, the first part of this chapter, we can see the uncle of Satoko floating in the river inside a garbage bag, right? And he was tortured with his entrails out and his fingers nailed.

Hmm I can't even begin to specualte anything... But...
B25Mitch said:
I read somewhere that this show has 4 question arcs and answer arcs for the first 2 arcs. The sequel has 2 new question arcs and 4 answer arcs, answers to these arcs and the 2 new ones.

.... ^Those "answer arcs" might.
I heard of them too, way before I started watching this anime, which was 2 weeks ago.
I wonder how those answer arcs will be like. hehehe...

Nov 1, 2008 2:19 AM

Jun 2007
Wow so i'm what the doctor said was right about him having hallucinations. I'm also guessing everything after the hospital part was a hallucination too. The part where he over hears the doctor talk about giving him some sleeping stuff seemed chaotic. It just ended with him against the wall screaming and then waking up the next day. so I'm guessing he never left the hospital at all. He probably passed out and they put him on a respirator for breathing. Volcanic gases spear throughout the town and everyone died except for him since he had a respirator giving him clean air. They mentioned he was in critical care in the end which further proves the point. They also zoom in on the respirator on the TV. So this time around it may have all been one huge hallucination. As for the killer gases..maybe Keiichi did have the power to wish for people's deaths while he was hallucinating.
Nov 8, 2008 5:51 AM

Feb 2008
DO NOT read my spoiler tags if you haven't finished KAI yet.

Genix said:
Keiichi didn't die!! omg!
And this time around, everybody else died!
So who killed Rika, and why?

By the way, in the version I wacthed of this episode, Rika-chan's corpse was slightly "censored", as in the infamous "mysteryous" shade appeared around her body... I just saw her all bloody. If the version, if there's a different one, that any of you have watched, is different and shows more, can you tell me if she had any other injuries? ^^

babykeiji said:

Hmm I can't even begin to specualte anything... But...
B25Mitch said:

.... ^Those "answer arcs" might.
I heard of them too, way before I started watching this anime, which was 2 weeks ago.
I wonder how those answer arcs will be like. hehehe...

My speculation there is wrong. A news just went out from the producer that they've made a mistake in episode 8. The person that is tortured there and has the entrails out is not Satoko's uncle (blond hair), but 'somebody else' (you'll know it later in the coming episodes); and that hair must be purple colored, not blonde.

DeathfireD said:
Wow so i'm what the doctor said was right about him having hallucinations. I'm also guessing everything after the hospital part was a hallucination too. The part where he over hears the doctor talk about giving him some sleeping stuff seemed chaotic. It just ended with him against the wall screaming and then waking up the next day. so I'm guessing he never left the hospital at all. He probably passed out and they put him on a respirator for breathing. Volcanic gases spear throughout the town and everyone died except for him since he had a respirator giving him clean air. They mentioned he was in critical care in the end which further proves the point. They also zoom in on the respirator on the TV. So this time around it may have all been one huge hallucination. As for the killer gases..maybe Keiichi did have the power to wish for people's deaths while he was hallucinating.

Conclusion after rewatching:

People can now open this spoiler below, it's just something for this episode.
Dec 9, 2008 3:15 PM

Jul 2008
Keiichi was nuts this whole arc, everything also spiraled on him and made him more and more unstable. Did Keiichi perhaps wish death on the entire village as he was falling off the bridge.
Dec 13, 2008 10:58 AM

Dec 2008
Im guessing... the first 3 arc are keichii's dream after the volcano killed everyone. haha.... Maybe the souls of the dead are lingering around and giving him these halicinations

The thrid arc showed how stupid Keichii was. He goes around telling everyone that he killed someone than in the end he was accused of murdering someone that had nothing to do with him.
Jan 26, 2009 5:46 PM

Dec 2008
meconopsis said:
but why did Rika die?
this show is creepy.

Deathfire's explanation seems to be the only one that answers that question- she didn't die (before the volcanic gas) if Keichii was indeed hallucinating. Still, "it was all a dream" is a rather weak story device and it, as Deathfire pointed out, would only make sense if Keichii was causing deaths by the curse while in his hallucination. Given that we have already had some bizarre contradictions and even that the basic structure of the show plays fast and loose with time and cause and effect, I still find this somewhat unconvincing.

I hope there will be a convincing resolution of all this!
fedaykinJan 26, 2009 5:53 PM
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
Feb 1, 2009 12:54 PM

Aug 2008
If everything WASN'T a hallucination Rika-chan's death was the torture they were talking about last arch, right?

Pulling out the intestines while keeping them alive?
Feb 15, 2009 9:30 AM

Aug 2008
got to keep watching to see how they are going to tie this all together. but wow, the ending sure is apt, Keichii instead of dying kills everyone he cares about instead... yikes.
Mar 30, 2009 3:49 PM

Jun 2008
Geez Keiichi pisses me off. I would like it if he died and didn't come back in the next arc!

Show needs to get better though, I'm becoming less and less interested.

Rule of Anime #18 - Law of Hemoglobin Capacity
The human body contains over 12 gallons of blood, sometimes more, under high pressure.
May 21, 2009 3:17 PM

Nov 2008
This arc is kind weird, imo for now, it's the less scary arc for now. oo
looking for the next episodes!
Deiciding his life style by rolling the dice.
Jun 10, 2009 1:47 AM
Apr 2009
Wait, who was that dead body in the beginning of the arc?
Jun 23, 2009 2:02 AM
Feb 2008
Bladecatcher said:
Wait, who was that dead body in the beginning of the arc?
The uncle's apparently
Jun 24, 2009 5:39 AM
Jul 2008
This one is a bit weirder than the previous ones. Didn't really like this ending as much
Jun 25, 2009 1:19 AM

Sep 2008
At 19:00 how did he even fall through the bridge railing..?
Jun 25, 2009 10:03 AM

Mar 2009
I totally loved this episode. I'm so confused though. @_@
Jun 26, 2009 5:51 AM
Apr 2009
I think everyone died in this episode. And survived Keiichi was not "pure" Keiichi. Remember last chapter where corpses walk around? IMO the same thing happened to Keiichi corpse this time. Or he might be döpplenger that was seen at festival.
But I'm feeling sorry for Rika. She dies too often. I hope she'll survive next time. Also this chapter is not as scary as previous chapters.

btw, it doesn't seems like he could kill people just by wishing death: uncle didn't die, though Keiichi wanted his death with no doubt.

Unanswered questions: how did uncle survive(maybe another corpse-walker?), why did Rika die,
and how did Keiichi fell of the bridge. It would be hard for him even on purpose.
Jul 4, 2009 10:10 AM

May 2009
I think that's another keichi, like maybe the one who fell WAS a demon?
"The weak get washed away by the tides of fate...The strong drink it up."-Godot
Jul 10, 2009 10:31 AM
Dec 2008
Even that he fall he couldn't possible die from that,that's just stupid of people who think in such way. Anyway I am glad he survived.

Jul 11, 2009 7:49 AM

Dec 2008
I mostly disliked this ep
Keichi was so emo all the time, he told everybody, "ah I killed the uncle" bla bla bla

Rika was dead again ; (
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 16, 2009 2:49 PM

Nov 2007
keiichi seriously needs to watch some CSI before he commits murder. every time he'd do something stupid i felt like slapping him upside the head.
the masochist says "hurt me! hurt me!" the sadist replies "no"
Aug 4, 2009 11:37 AM

Dec 2008
Satoko was really cute in this chapter, until she became crazy at Keichi.
Aug 7, 2009 12:55 PM

Dec 2007
Lol at when he was swinging the axe. I was expecting him to get caught.
Aug 8, 2009 9:29 PM
Jul 2009
Keiichi pulled a page out of The Shining. All that was left was "HERE'S KEIICHI!"
Aug 24, 2009 2:57 PM

Jan 2008
Christhepirate said:
At 19:00 how did he even fall through the bridge railing..?

I was thinking exactly the same thing.
Shouldn't have worked...Only if Satoko practically punched him high up into the air so he flew over the--- Erm. No.

Sep 1, 2009 10:41 AM

Aug 2008
hah, that was great.
When Keiichi was falling off the bridge he had a "wtf" moment.
Probably thought "Wow, this is the stupidest death... of all time"

I loved it, but from his point of view that had to have been the lamest way possible for that to end.
Sep 6, 2009 6:49 PM

Aug 2009
My head hurts......I don't get this whole question arc, answer arc thing! It just makes me even more confused! GAHH

How did Rika die?
Why did it seem like Satoko's uncle was still alive?
Who was the person in the bag in the beginning of this arc?
How did Keiichi fall through the railing?
How come everyone he wished to die died but not Satoko's uncle?
Was he hallucinating or not?
How does Rena going crazy at the mention of Oyashiro tie in with this arc?
Were the deaths just a coincidence?
Why did all Keiichi's friends say they saw him at the cotton festival even though he wasn't there?

All these questions and no answers!

I'm a bandwagon whore

Ow. My Heart. <3
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Tekky99 - Mar 14, 2008

268 by walgreenscanada »»
Apr 13, 9:49 AM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

mitsukuni07 - Feb 16, 2008

171 by Extremo888 »»
Mar 27, 3:44 PM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

mitsukuni07 - Feb 16, 2008

142 by ohwaitwhat69 »»
Mar 21, 9:56 AM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Voltlighter - Dec 28, 2007

148 by Ratris_Decision »»
Feb 4, 12:14 AM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

xo_cl2 - Jan 19, 2008

205 by josh_exe »»
Jan 26, 12:55 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.