Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

Why don't you like this anime or why do you? and why did you give it the rating you did?

Your Lie in April
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Mar 22, 2015 8:09 PM

Jun 2009
FranciscoZattoni said:
I gave 10/10 'cause I am a true lover of classical music, and independent of the rest I would give 10 the same way, just by the music.. And I would say that anyone who really love classical music, will do the same too.

I been playing classical piano (mostly from Baroque to Romantic Era) for roughly 8 years now, and I love classical piano; but according to you, I really don't love classical music since I gave it an 8/10. To give a show 10/10 for its music is biased. The show had a lot of unnecessary flash backs and character narration that was not needed. I know everyone is entitled to their opinions and ratings of shows, but in short, I believe it's biased to rate a show based on one aspect of it.
Mar 22, 2015 8:45 PM

Aug 2013
7/10
for me, the whole show is about character development of Kousei
and yet
the ending didn't tell if Kousei win the contest or what will he do in future
who cares about Kaori
Mar 22, 2015 10:32 PM
Feb 2013
LightBladeNova said:

Regarding the discussion about Kousei's trauma, I believe it's obvious that his mother's abuse is a very strong factor, but maybe HasHash is trying to ask whether or not that was the ultimate cause of it (if he's not asking that, and is actually skeptical of whether or not he has trauma, then I can't really further this discussion...). As we see in the show, Kousei mentally broke down and suffered his illness only after his mother's death, so was the abuse or the guilt (the guilt of saying "I wish you'd just die" as his last words to his mom) the final push?

I mean, regardless, they're both the 2 main reasons Kousei ended up like that, but yeah, what was the ultimate cause?

Also, this has been mentioned before, but I was kinda iffy about the developers making Saki appear sympathetic during that one episode (13 maybe) where Kousei plays Love's Sorrow in dedication to her. I mean, I guess I can understand her perspective, and her illness did warp her, but that doesn't excuse how she treated Kousei. The episode, however, paints Saki in this mostly loving light, and I believe even Kousei still felt he had done something wrong, when he had not (though, understandably, he has his guilt). In the end, I was just kinda uncomfortable with Saki's portrayal.

I mean the show goes out of its way to show(or at least imply) that the guilt he has from telling his mother to die and the death itself are the catalysts for his mental problems. The constant flashbacks to when he's telling his mom to die. The time when he's in the corner crying, asking for him mom to help him. Him attributing his mom's worsening health to his inability to meet her expectations. All the times he sees the ghost of his mom during his performances telling him that this is his punishment. Hiroko telling Kousei that his mom was happy that he went against her, which helped in resolving his problem performing(coupled with using Kaori as a crutch). When the problem came back in the last 2 episodes because another person he loves, Kaori is dying.

Through the entire show, Kousei doesn't even seem think too much about the times he was physically abused or his bruises from it, but rather the bulk of his flashbacks are involving the degradation of his mother's health and the time he told her off. Practically all the flashbacks to his injuries are done by Tsubaki instead(bar the time he gets caned and is bleeding, but that was the same time he tells his mom to die). Regardless, the physical beatings he took did leave an impact on him of course.
prawnprowlerMar 22, 2015 10:58 PM
Mar 22, 2015 11:15 PM

Jul 2014
prawnprowler said:
LightBladeNova said:

Regarding the discussion about Kousei's trauma, I believe it's obvious that his mother's abuse is a very strong factor, but maybe HasHash is trying to ask whether or not that was the ultimate cause of it (if he's not asking that, and is actually skeptical of whether or not he has trauma, then I can't really further this discussion...). As we see in the show, Kousei mentally broke down and suffered his illness only after his mother's death, so was the abuse or the guilt (the guilt of saying "I wish you'd just die" as his last words to his mom) the final push?

I mean, regardless, they're both the 2 main reasons Kousei ended up like that, but yeah, what was the ultimate cause?

Also, this has been mentioned before, but I was kinda iffy about the developers making Saki appear sympathetic during that one episode (13 maybe) where Kousei plays Love's Sorrow in dedication to her. I mean, I guess I can understand her perspective, and her illness did warp her, but that doesn't excuse how she treated Kousei. The episode, however, paints Saki in this mostly loving light, and I believe even Kousei still felt he had done something wrong, when he had not (though, understandably, he has his guilt). In the end, I was just kinda uncomfortable with Saki's portrayal.

I mean the show goes out of its way to show(or at least imply) that the guilt he has from telling his mother to die and the death itself are the catalysts for his mental problems. The constant flashbacks to when he's telling his mom to die. The time when he's in the corner crying, asking for him mom to help him. Him attributing his mom's worsening health to his inability to meet her expectations. All the times he sees the ghost of his mom during his performances telling him that this is his punishment. Hiroko telling Kousei that his mom was happy that he went against her, which helped in resolving his problem performing(coupled with using Kaori as a crutch). When the problem came back in the last 2 episodes as another person he loves, Kaori is dying.

Through the entire show, Kousei doesn't even seem think too much about the times he was physically abused or his bruises from it, but rather the bulk of his flashbacks are involving the degradation of his mother's health and the time he told her off. Practically all the flashbacks to his injuries are done by Tsubaki instead(bar the time he gets caned and is bleeding, but that was the same time he tells his mom to die). Regardless, the physical beatings he took did leave an impact on him of course.

Right, I forgot to mention his mother's actual death, my bad; that was one of the main catalysts too.

Yeah, now that I think more about it more, I feel the physical abuse itself did not directly cause his mental problem (not being able to hear the sound of his music), but it did contribute to his mild depression/low self-worth in general. I identify two kinds of trauma here: the mild depression/low self-worth trauma and the actual mental problem of not being able to hear the music. The physical abuse, his mother's death, the guilt - they all play a role in both traumas, but for the mental problem in particular, it's not the abuse that directly causes it; the abuse led to Kousei telling his mom off, which in turn led to his guilt.
LightBladeNovaMar 22, 2015 11:34 PM
"Beyond the veil of cherry blossom petals blown by the wind - almost like their promised reunion -

Feelings pile up with the passage of time: once the torrent of emotions comes rushing down, what is the spectacle that awaits?"
Mar 23, 2015 2:59 AM

Jul 2014
LightBladeNova said:
prawnprowler said:

I mean the show goes out of its way to show(or at least imply) that the guilt he has from telling his mother to die and the death itself are the catalysts for his mental problems. The constant flashbacks to when he's telling his mom to die. The time when he's in the corner crying, asking for him mom to help him. Him attributing his mom's worsening health to his inability to meet her expectations. All the times he sees the ghost of his mom during his performances telling him that this is his punishment. Hiroko telling Kousei that his mom was happy that he went against her, which helped in resolving his problem performing(coupled with using Kaori as a crutch). When the problem came back in the last 2 episodes as another person he loves, Kaori is dying.

Right, I forgot to mention his mother's actual death, my bad; that was one of the main catalysts too.

Yeah, now that I think more about it more, I feel the physical abuse itself did not directly cause his mental problem (not being able to hear the sound of his music), but it did contribute to his mild depression/low self-worth in general. I identify two kinds of trauma here: the mild depression/low self-worth trauma and the actual mental problem of not being able to hear the music. The physical abuse, his mother's death, the guilt - they all play a role in both traumas, but for the mental problem in particular, it's not the abuse that directly causes it; the abuse led to Kousei telling his mom off, which in turn led to his guilt.
To add to this, Kousei telling his mother off and her dying were two separate things. Even to a young Kousei, his mother's deteriorating physical condition would have been obvious. Case in point here is, he associated the death with his inability/indiscretion (or both) which is because the abuse had already destroyed whatever self esteem the child had. The trauma manifests in many ways - here in the form of lack of self worth which led to guilt and the psychosomatic disorder that followed. The trauma associated with guilt has its roots in the trauma caused by the abuse.
LightBladeNova said:
but maybe HasHash is trying to ask whether or not that was the ultimate cause of it (if he's not asking that, and is actually skeptical of whether or not he has trauma, then I can't really further this discussion...)
He seems to be questioning the existence of the abuse in the first place, and from what I understand from the origins of this thread - it was a cop out attempted to subvert criticism at the show's poor and disturbing handling of trauma by denying it's presence at all. There's the rub.
TerapinMar 23, 2015 3:17 AM
Mar 23, 2015 3:25 AM
Oct 2012
the only thing that left me disappointed was those unneeded comedy scenes. although I can somewhat understand why kaori pulled those stuffs, but still.
Mar 23, 2015 10:32 AM

Dec 2009
7/10, that was my score.

From the very beginning, I doubted it would go higher than that. How Miyazono and Tsubaki were abusing Arima really annoyed me. That was terrible. I'm glad they stopped doing that... mostly. Why Tsubaki had to always kick Arima when she was angry, it eludes me.

Arima's mother issue was also something I couldn't overlook. At the beginning they portrayed her as an abusive mother, but then they decided to say she was a nice mother before she was dying. Decide what she is, bad or good mother.

Miyazono's death was also predictable. From the first opening you suspected something bad would happen to one of the protagonists.

Lastly, those "comical" parts like deforming the faces or having the characters yell. It was boring, and distracting.

Thankfully, this anime also had good parts, like the OST and the visuals. Hikaru Nana is one of the best opening songs I have listened. That was quite beautiful. And I really liked those musical contests.
Mar 23, 2015 6:17 PM
Oct 2013
SaitoHajime said:
FranciscoZattoni said:
I gave 10/10 'cause I am a true lover of classical music, and independent of the rest I would give 10 the same way, just by the music.. And I would say that anyone who really love classical music, will do the same too.

I been playing classical piano (mostly from Baroque to Romantic Era) for roughly 8 years now, and I love classical piano; but according to you, I really don't love classical music since I gave it an 8/10. To give a show 10/10 for its music is biased. The show had a lot of unnecessary flash backs and character narration that was not needed. I know everyone is entitled to their opinions and ratings of shows, but in short, I believe it's biased to rate a show based on one aspect of it.

I understand, I agree with you. For sure, the correct and wise way to rate an anime is with all of your aspects, but sometimes, all of these aspects of judgement become covert by you. Because you loved so much of something in it that doesn't matter the rest, you just say "fuck everything, this show is a masterpiece for me". And you don't take much seriously the other side of the show. That's my point. In my other post I generalized too much the aspect of the music, saying that everyone would love just it.. Hope that you get my idea (sorry by english mistakes) Bye
Mar 23, 2015 9:58 PM

Oct 2011
7/10 . THIS IS JUST MY OPINION YOU HAVE YOURS!
Mar 24, 2015 1:41 AM

Mar 2009
Posts 10 and 11 nailed it. Nothing else to add really.

Most of the characters in this anime were selfish pieces of shit. And the author championed them. That's why I'll give this anime a low rating.
Mar 30, 2015 11:26 AM

Sep 2008
I gave it a 4/10. I couldn't stand the repetitive monologue that occurs throughout the series. The unrealistic, exaggerated drama, and how they had to lay everything out for us leaving us nothing to peruse. Good start, but became predictable, and extremely boring fast. Not the worst, but certainly not deserving to be in the top 100, let alone top 15. WHAT? Obviously overrated.
Mar 30, 2015 12:00 PM

Mar 2014
I enjoyed it very much, the only thing I didn't like were some comedic bits and a few over-dramatic and slow paced perpetual monologues. The characters were interesting, the classic pieces that were chosen were executed perfectly and the whole message that the series conveyed was really good imo. I also agree with all of your points, however I liked Tsubaki as a character and I don't think she was selfish beyond the normal degree.
So I rated it 9/10.
It is really fun to see how some users got so annoyed due to its high ranking. The poll is something trivial if you think about it more openly. It represents what many fans liked, not a universal fact. I don't agree with some rankings either but I don't bitch about it, nor many other people do as well. These things are clearly subjective.
Mar 30, 2015 5:29 PM

Jan 2015
Undeniably, this show has top-notch music and excellent animation. Unfortunately, the story and the characters hold a much greater sway on me than these superficial qualities. This is where the show does not excel.
-Kousei is quite well-written. But not masterfully written. I'm glad he's not an extremely overpowered protagonist despite being a prodigy. It's also a plus to see him constantly struggle and wrestle with his memories of the abuse he received from his mother, and gradually overcoming it with Kaori as his inspiration. Perhaps my only complaint is the fact that his friends don't seem too concerned about the abuse he got. Heck, his friends are not very well-written at all.

-Kaori is a plot device for drama. Her illness should have been hinted at the beginning, not in the ninth episode when the show's general direction should have been established already. And why did she not just confess to Kousei? It was indeed obvious throughout the show that she had feelings for Kousei because it was shown through her actions. She had plenty of perfect opportunities to confess, when it was just the two of them, after they worked really hard together and saw inspiration in each other. She's not exactly the type to shy away from a confession (she's not shy at all), so why didn't she? Oh no, that would make too much sense, and we won't get enough melodrama if she did. We have to hide her true feelings until the very end so the audience gets an extra kick in the feels after she dies.
Could it be that she didn't confess because she was concerned for Tsubaki and Watari? Could it be that she didn't want to burden Kousei too much? Then show her goddamn internal conflict. Don't leave the audience speculating about the intentions of such a crucial character, especially in a character-driven story. Make us remember her as a real person with real feelings, not just a forced sympathy-inducing device.

-Tsubaki is okay, I guess. She gets a lot of screen time (arguably too much in terms of Kousei-centered flashbacks). At least her feelings are clear-cut and plot-relevant. Still, it's ridiculous how a 14-year-old could be so serious about liking someone without even knowing it. And she has minimal interactions with Kaori and Watari. It's almost like they belong to an entirely different story whenever Tsubaki is in focus.

-Watari didn't get enough focus, when the show clearly could have benefited greatly from it. He has very shallow characterization, when there seems to be more to him than we see on the surface. So many unanswered questions about him. Why does he go out with several girls at once? What does he aspire to be? How important is soccer to him (he cries when his team loses)? How important are his friends to him? Did he see right through Kaori's lie? He seems to, but this is unclear. How does he feel about Kousei and Kaori's relationship? How does he really see Kaori? We didn't see any serious interaction between them, especially his hospital visits to her, and this is a huge minus in my book. It's like the writer doesn't care how shallow Watari's characterization can be. No normal human being can go on for so long without showing genuine concern for an ill friend.

They had plenty of time to answer these questions. But no, instead of giving Watari some focus, let's introduce a completely new character (Nagi) and explore her aspirations and inner desires. Let's show how she sees her older brother as her hero. Let's show all of these things even if they're completely irrelevant to the overarching plot. We can squeeze more feels from the audience if we focus on little girls more, right? RIGHT?

This show has a lot of shallowness in it. It's really not the masterpiece that a lot of MAL users see it to be. I gave it a 4/10 for story and characterization, and 10/10 for OST and art. It's 5.2/10 overall for me.
Mar 31, 2015 4:21 AM

Feb 2014
Somewhat they managed to fix a few things in the last 3 episodes and make it a little better. I think they tried to insert too much "feels" in the show so that we can't properly think of it while watching. Every performance followed by tons of flashback slideshows and countless "voiced" opinions (stop it! thats so unpolite), I don't think there is a single "performance" or moment where we can hear it without this kind of intervention (or arrangements that don't belong to the composition, which is also terrible), which only helps to build "cliffhanger" or "feels".
The director tried... but too hard, he need to get himself introduced to art cinema asap.
Apr 1, 2015 12:01 AM

Aug 2014
7/10
Too much drama for me. The art and the music are amazing, but it is all that is perfect in this anime. Also I didn't like the characters much.
People die if they are killed
Apr 1, 2015 2:18 AM
Feb 2015
I would give this 10^10/10 ...

dont just watch it like some idiot.. watch and think and FEEL..!
try putting yourself in character perspective.., and observe it better!
watch and feel them from all viewpoint possible for you..

For me the best anime are Clannad series, after watched this I think I'll have some doubt lingering..
I like it.. It made me cry for entire episodes!!! and Kao-chan is cutee!!!!!!!!!
Apr 1, 2015 6:08 AM

Dec 2009
I rated it 1/10.

Few anime are as bad as this one. Not satisfied with being one of the worst shows I've ever watched, "Your Lie in April" also belongs to the most detestable category of animation: the "I could use my big potential to be an awesome series but I decided to flush it down the toilet instead"-category. I really can't stand this kind of anime, because when you get the chance to have a great animation, a great soundtrack and a great direction, I mean, you can't afford to screw up so badly! Anyway, what makes "Your Lie in April" such a failure? I tried to list it down (spoiler danger).

- There's only one girl character. Kaori, Tsubaki, Nagi, Hiroko... they're all the same person with slight differences. They're all tsundere who show similar behaviours towards the protagonist ─ kicking him and shouting at him on the surface, but actually feeling worried for him and showing it only when it's really needed. Perhaps only Emi's a little different, but all the other girl characters look the same. I don't think I need to add that's not such a good thing, huh?

- Kousei's psychological problems are really exaggerated and overstated, especially during the first half of the anime. There's no way someone so disturbed could "magically" fix his problems thanks to a random tsundere girl, who really doesn't do much apart from showing him her love for music while yelling at him. The anime would have been much better if they'd made Kousei's problems less extreme. Someone who's constantly under pressure to win and be a perfect pianist would already show considerable psychological suffering, they didn't need to go as far as to make Kousei's mother beat him every other day. This looked like an awkward effort to focus on Kousei's pain using brutal, out-of-place, scenes, that contributed making this anime extremely unrealistic.

- Another unrealistic detail was Kaori's illness. It was handled in a very superficial way ─ which actually was no surprise after how Kousei's problems were easily solved. She's dying, but her fear of pain and death is for the most part absent. All we can see is her fear of being forgotten, but the pain and the seriousness of her situation is not well displayed, if not in few, short scenes. Even after her death, we can't really feel as if she's gone for real. There's no pain at all, no shock. Another thing I've found unrealistic is that her illness doesn't even have a name. Perhaps that's because giving it a name would have made it harder to use it merely as a plot device? Also, plot hole I've found annoying: if a person collpses she doesn't stay forever at the hospital. Come on Kousei & co., how couldn't you understand from the start it was something serious?

- The music scenes were boring. I got the feeling the director didn't know how to make the spectator appreciate classical music so, instead of simply showing how beautiful classical music is, they decided to add long monologues and to concentrate on the reaction of the public, which was almost always excessive. Thus long minutes of classical tracks were weighed down by unnecessary soliloquys and "omg, amazing, I can see the colours of the notes dancing in a fairy field (?)!!!" of the public.

- The whole "Friend A" story is plainly ridiculous, since it's clear from the very beginning who Kaori is interested in. It doesn't liven up the story at all, I don't even know how could they possibly think adding this THING would be good.

- Let's talk about the side characters. Calling Ryouta and Tsubaki "side characters" is very kind of me, since they are merely plot devices with underdeveloped personalities. They are tools to make the romance more interesting and to help the main characters solve their problems. They don't exist per se, but only in relation to the main characters. Emi and Takeshi have a little more credibility, even though their worship of Kousei is not very believeable, especially if considered at what young age they started being obsessed by him. Oh, right, I was forgetting about Nagi. But really, who cares about her?

- The last episode of the series revealed Kaori's secrets, from her old admiration towards Kousei to her plan to get closer to him. At this point of the anime I was not able to feel surprised anymore, I just registered the umpteenth nonsensical screw-up.
Apr 1, 2015 11:41 AM

May 2014
10/10 Because it's a masterpiece ;D
Don't need to say nothing more.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 1, 2015 8:53 PM

Sep 2013
I don't get how people can actually like this show :|
Apr 1, 2015 9:41 PM

Sep 2014
moevora said:
I would give this 10^10/10 ...

dont just watch it like some idiot.. watch and think and FEEL..!
try putting yourself in character perspective.., and observe it better!
watch and feel them from all viewpoint possible for you..

For me the best anime are Clannad series, after watched this I think I'll have some doubt lingering..
I like it.. It made me cry for entire episodes!!! and Kao-chan is cutee!!!!!!!!!

Well, I did think and it didn't make the experience any better. There was nothing to feel because for whatever reason the anime felt like it had to remind you every episode that Kaori was going to die sooner or later.
Apr 2, 2015 6:03 AM

Oct 2014
Wintovisky said:
I don't get how people can actually like this show :|

And the people that like this show can't get how you can actually dislike this show. And I, who like and dislike this show, can't get how people can actually either like or dislike this show. And Chuck Norris, who stands above all human, can't get how people can actually questioning the preference of other people.

mind=blown.
HOW TO SAVE ANIME IN THREE SIMPLE STEPS

1. To have Mars of Destruction, Skelter Heaven, and Pupa properly adapted in TV series form by Madhouse
  2. To have Inferno Cop properly adapted in TV series form by Bones, director: Urobuchi Gen
  3. An anime crossover of Mushishi x ARIA x Haibane Renmei.

Should even one of the above conditions cannot be done, anime is still at risk.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 19, 2015

1177 by ojarlos »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » What do you think of the character artstyle?

Mallony - Oct 10, 2014

40 by Keytee1 »»
May 5, 9:35 PM

Poll: » Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 18, 2014

335 by RickHatake »»
May 1, 5:07 AM

Poll: » Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 29, 2015

234 by exho26 »»
May 1, 2:25 AM

Poll: » Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 11, 2014

331 by RickHatake »»
Apr 23, 7:07 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.