Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (17) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 10 » ... Last »
Jan 8, 2015 4:08 PM

Sep 2014
tiya_n said:
Is it different from manga storyline? (I'm not a manga reader so I don't know)

Yep, very different. Kaneki never joins Aogiri in the manga, so where the show is going no one knows.
Jan 8, 2015 4:10 PM

Mar 2013
Ok, I get this is going to be alternate plotline as opposed to the manga, but what good reason is there for Kaneki joining Aogiri. Anteiku were the only ones who cared for Kaneki. Unless Kaneki has some ulterior motive in eventually taking down Aogiri, they could've just gone with the source material. My thinking for the anime going this route is to milk out the cool/psycho Kaneki for as much as they can because that's what a lot of people prefer.

Really though, this is looking worse and worse.
Jan 8, 2015 4:10 PM
Dec 2014
CNTRI715 said:
tiya_n said:
Is it different from manga storyline? (I'm not a manga reader so I don't know)

Yep, very different. Kaneki never joins Aogiri in the manga, so where the show is going no one knows.

Atleast we get to see more of Eto and Tatara. I cant wait to see the interactions of Agori now with Kaneki
Jan 8, 2015 4:12 PM

Oct 2014
ChaoticSilence said:
Kikusui said:
Seems like it's gonna take a completely different turn compared to the manga. I'm gonna stop looking at this as the manga, and rather look at it as an original story. That might be a good way for me to enjoy it.
Yeah you probably should. So that way I don't have to see these absolutely atrocious score curves due to people bitching about scenes skipped from the manga.

Not defending this anime or anything. I just find all the people complaining about skipped scenes annoying.

Still, the score curve is not as bad as Akame ga Kill's last 5 or so episodes due to it going the anime only route.

VanishingKira said:
Just started the episode but wow the OP was just as bad as I heard.
I need to hear this OP just to see if it really is as terrible as everyone's saying it is.

I was planning on waiting till the Blurays came out to watch this though I may change my mind

About the rating score:
I'm gonna be all out honest with everyone, my tolerance for manga-readers are getting slimmer after each episode. For the first 12 episodes, I can understand the frustration so I was able to tolerate the complaining. But coming into season 2 after knowing that Ishida is going along his original draft, and that this is an anime-only plot, most manga readers still whine and complain! Like honestly, every single comment section I see about tokyo ghoul is about the horrible way Pierrot adapted this. I'm gonna admit, I was too frustrated since I'm also a manga reader, but I got over after the one cour break. I seriously can't come to these forums and enjoy talking about a wonderful episode without some butt hurt manga-reader saying, "blah blah bah, no 103 bones!!!!, blah blah blah...". Like seriously, it's annoying. It's not just one, it's an army doing this (this is sarcasm btw). Oh well, in the end, it's Pierrot's fault for pissing off Ishida, so yeah I'm blaming this on them, not the manga-readers.

About the OP:
I'm being optimistic here, I know Ishida loves to mess with the hearts and minds of his fans so here's my theory on the OP. What if each episode has a different visual for the opening of different things regarding Root A. The same song however. Then is episode 12, all these visuals were mashed up and sped up individually to look like 1 whole opening while "Unravel" plays. I know this is a bit too hopeful but hey, Ishida is an unpredictable mofo. I'm just saying, I really think there is more tot his opening than meets the eye.

Episode review:
I fairly enjoyed the new episode overall. The opening told a depressing story of a man who's innocence turned to his pain and strength which really captivated me. I still liked to opening for it's depth, however unravel just shattered the bar so I knew this op will never be better than that. The new Kaneki looks badass as usual. The Ayato vs Kaneki fight was just epic until Noro interfered (no 103 bones *tears*) but it served it's purpose to reveal Ayato's true intentions. The owl vs doves fight was sight to behold. I thought Pierrot would botch the Kakuja armour's at first, which was the impression for the first minute of the fight, but when they increased the juice in the armour, the animation for that was beautiful. That eto and Kaneki scene in my opinion acted like an invitation for Kaneki. The OST when Kaneki left Touka and join Aogiri was so sad and beautiful. I think it's obvious that Kaneki has other plans on his agenda so we'll just wait and see. LOL at Ayato sneering at Kaneki, probably still mad about his secret being revealed. The ED was way better than the OP in my opinion. The overall plot going into Root A will definitely be interesting. I have faith Ishida will deliver with this season. Ratings:

Animation: 9/10 (surprising since pierrot did this, awesome Kakuja glowing!!!)

Soundtrack: 9.5/10 (opening is a bit iffy with me, visuals were good, song was eh. The ost near the end was beautiful!)

Pacing: First 10 minutes-(7/10)(I assume Ishida just wants this arc to be over with so he ended the fights quick. Guessing I can throw this rating section out now since it's no longer an adaptation.)

Plot Progression: 8/10 (I'm very interested with the new plot. I think Kaneki joining Aogiri is a nice plot twist that no one expected.)

Character Progression: 9/10 (who doesn't love Kaneki's new personality?)

Episode rating: 8.5/10 (good episode)
Jan 8, 2015 4:12 PM

Sep 2014
Oreo_Assassin said:
CNTRI715 said:

Atleast we get to see more of Eto and Tatara. I cant wait to see the interactions of Agori now with Kaneki

Yeah I'm getting the vibe that Eto might be a main character this season, very cool considering how little we see her in the manga. Really curious if they're going to have *that* reveal of her on the anime.
Jan 8, 2015 4:22 PM
Dec 2014
So no ones gonna talk about Uta and Nico when Nico says Clowns always get the last laugh? Glad i watched it twice or i wouldnt have seen Uta with Nico
Jan 8, 2015 4:25 PM

Jun 2013
Season 2 picks up just where season 1 left off. Both new opening and ending are pretty good, still love the first season 1 opening the best though. Kaneki joins Aogiri at the end there which was very surprising but I'm sure there's a reason for it.
Jan 8, 2015 4:27 PM

Sep 2011
Maybe they will change the opening cause, wow... really bad
I really liked the route the anime is taking and how it differs from the manga. I'm hyped
Jan 8, 2015 4:44 PM

Sep 2007
"Original Story" is an understatement. We've totally traveled to a parallel universe.

Darn I was hoping to see Kaneki kick some serious butt... otherwise guess it's an ok start...
(My avatar is an original creation-please don't take it)
Jan 8, 2015 4:56 PM
Aug 2014
Gave it a 3/5. I thought the first episode was very weak for a first episode.
Jan 8, 2015 4:57 PM

Aug 2013
The first episode was okay, nothing exceptional in my opinion.
Like everyone said, the OP is a bit strange, I like much more the ED.
Jan 8, 2015 4:58 PM

May 2013
My only disappointment is that we didn't get to see Ayato get his ass beat. I'm actually excited the anime is taking a different approach from the manga.
Jan 8, 2015 4:59 PM

Jan 2015
Snaita said:
Makaze_no_Moujuu said:

But that doesn't mean that it was bad; just not direction he ended up going in.

Honestly, if this season was 24 eps they could've made the Aogiri Raid arc wrap up two episodes instead of one. That way, we may have gotten some sort of convo between Kaneki and Tatara, or Eto, that convinces Kaneki to join their group.

Even if this story is great, the rushed pacing due to the 12 ep limit could very well ruin what could've been an awesome season.

Yes, original content apart, they could do a good story but the rushed pace and left out explanations(yes there quite a few) just kills it... Kaneki fight against flying bastard is one of the bests in the manga, here they didn't even tried because he joins Aogiri.
Still the original draft was excluded for a reason, if the story was good, the author have gone with it...

1) Yeah, it's an epic scene between Kaneki and Ayato, but I've always felt that that scene sold Ayato short, so I'm kinda indifferent to the scene not being animated (yet).

2) Just because an different draft isn't used, doesn't mean it sucks. It depends on the kind of story that the author wanted to tell, and that's subjective. Same goes with a completely original take, not done by the author. Yes, more times than not, when a studio takes artistic liberties with the story, it can end up having problems, but that doesn't mean it's automatically gonna be horrible. There are good anime originals: original FMA, Cowboy Bebop and the GitS animated franchise (I believe).

I'm going to at least give this one a good chance seeing as Ishida is clearly more involved in this season than the last (which was meh except for ep 12).
Jan 8, 2015 5:06 PM

Jul 2014
Looks like it's going to be a great season! But poor Touka at the end :(
Jan 8, 2015 5:06 PM

Jun 2012
Hmm gotta say having read the manga I'm extremely disappointed in this episode. I know the plots are going in two different ways but this episode is basically a PG version of Chapter 75 (this is where the anime and manga diverge). There is an actual fight in Chapter 75 that isn't in the anime that is between Kaneki and Ayato and it is brutal but awesome.
Jan 8, 2015 5:07 PM
Jun 2012
glad its back but man is this gonna like totally ignore the manga and go its own route or what. im a little dissapointed with the fight with ayato it was way better in the manga.and wtf since when does he join aogiri i guess its gona be a surprise to watch.
Jan 8, 2015 5:08 PM

Jun 2014
Ehhhhhh. It was ok.
Who directed this episode again? I found the direction to be pretty alright whenever there wasn't any fighting involved, but that's no where near what the first and last episodes of the last season managed: at these high points the anime actually improved upon what the manga did. This here though? it just feels watered down in a lot of aspects.
I was planning to watch this under the premise that it was some sort of ''what if'' alternate story line, but I was also counting in it having some of the directing prowess the last season put out. At this rate, starting this average, it's highly unlikely that it will be worth the watch in the long run (more so considering that the FS started pretty good and then plummeted in quality, so by the looks of it, this will get worse after it's average start). Here's hoping ''√A'', or whatever, doesn't follow the good->below average->good again structure that the prior season followed because if this is the good, then the bad is going to be pretty awful.
PD: can't beat Seijatachi.
thesecondkatJan 8, 2015 5:14 PM
Jan 8, 2015 5:08 PM

Nov 2014
In my opinion the opening was terrible :(
But on the good side the ending was amazing
Hi there
Jan 8, 2015 5:09 PM

Jun 2014
So I have to say for a season that is not going to follow the manga, started off excellent! No censorship in this first episode either! So glad to see the manga author taking the reins and writing an original story for S2!

I really don't think the OP fits well with this anime, but it was a very nice song, loved the ED though and the song before that!

5/5 for the first episode!
So glad that I'm not a huge manga reader, because the manga readers WHINE WAY TOO MUCH and have to RUIN every adapted anime for the ANIME ONLY WATCHERS!
Jan 8, 2015 5:12 PM

Jan 2015
LimeNade said:
Hmm gotta say having read the manga I'm extremely disappointed in this episode. I know the plots are going in two different ways but this episode is basically a PG version of Chapter 75 (this is where the anime and manga diverge). There is an actual fight in Chapter 75 that isn't in the anime that is between Kaneki and Ayato and it is brutal but awesome.

Well, based on the direction of the anime, including the Ayato jobbing fight (aka, Kaneki vs Ayato) doesn't serve the story.

What should've been shown:
- Arata flashback
- Suzuya finds Yamori/Jason
- Owl flashback/ Hirako "defeats" Owl (to foreshadow the godliness that is Arima)
Jan 8, 2015 5:13 PM
Jun 2014
i'm actually pretty excited to see someone (especially the main character) who started off on the "good side" head into the "dark side". I don't remember any anime that has done a twist like that.
Jan 8, 2015 5:16 PM

Jan 2015
ToMuchMayo said:
i'm actually pretty excited to see someone (especially the main character) who started off on the "good side" head into the "dark side". I don't remember any anime that has done a twist like that.

Desert Punk says yo.
Jan 8, 2015 5:18 PM

Aug 2014
Opening really does not match what happens next ....
Btw I read the manga, but... I feel like they skipped something really important in episode 1. Does anyone remember? or am i just high.
Jan 8, 2015 5:18 PM

Jul 2012
OP was a huge disappointment compared to Unravel. I didn't expect them to one up Unravel, but I didn't expect it to be that bad. I think that was probably just temporary animation for the OP. but I still don't like the song. We'll see how it turns out.
ED was great. Loved the song and art.

I love the atmosphere of this season so far. I hope it keeps up!
Jan 8, 2015 5:19 PM

Jul 2012
Yourchinguxd said:
Opening really does not match what happens next ....
Btw I read the manga, but... I feel like they skipped something really important in episode 1. Does anyone remember? or am i just high.

This season will have an anime-only story by the mangaka himself.
AndoJan 8, 2015 5:22 PM
Jan 8, 2015 5:26 PM
Sep 2014
I liked the opening song actually. I knew it would not be received well because everyone is pretty predictable at times but I liked it.

The visuals were very artistic as well.

On the the anime, √A looks to be something special. It was visually superb. Much nicer to look at than the first season.
Jan 8, 2015 5:33 PM
Jan 2011
The OP song sucks and I wanted to see him beat Ayato. But this new direction of joining Aogiri will be interesting. So Kaneki is going to become one of the high ranked members?
Jan 8, 2015 5:35 PM
Nov 2013
Although everyone is complaining about the opening song, the visuals are very stunning in both the opening and ending.

Shit going down on the first episode. Kaneki joins the dark side? I was not expecting that o be honest. Feel pretty bad for Touka, she looked pretty sad chasing after him. Agree that the song before the ending was great, can't wait to get the ost.

Overall, decent first episode. Although it'll be original, I hope it turns out good.
Jan 8, 2015 5:36 PM

Aug 2011
Overall, the first episode was OK. I was simply surprised at Kaneki's choice in the end.
Jan 8, 2015 5:36 PM

Aug 2010
Good thing about this anime is that I don't know what to expect. It's a chance for us manga readers to see an alternate route. I'm curious to how things will turn out from here.

Liked the insert song that played at the end. Kaneki, how could you leave your waifu like that? He was even more harsh to her than in the manga.
Jan 8, 2015 5:37 PM

Nov 2014
watched the 1st season and this episode was better then i expected since i haven't touched the manga, but the 1st episode was good, Op was meh but Ed was awesome....

can't wait for more
Jan 8, 2015 5:38 PM

Jan 2011
unravel couldn't be top so the new op is meh in comparison Ed on the other hand is amazing really like how they used the manga cover art style.

while i don't understand why they chose a new route with ken going to the darkside i am both interested and sad at the same time i might not get to see some of the cool stuff like the bones animated :( but at least it won't be butchered/rushed like the first season with anime original stuff?..
Jan 8, 2015 5:39 PM

Nov 2012
Lol he's finally done with the bullshit. The pussyness in him has completely vanished.
Jan 8, 2015 5:39 PM
Dec 2010
Terrible OP, boring as sh1t episode, decent ED.
Jan 8, 2015 5:47 PM
Aug 2011
Wow, honestly I was quite shocked after this episode ended. I didn't expect that the storytwist was already in the first episode and that it seems to be quite the opposite of the original story!

i am really curious what was up in Ishidas mind. To me, the Animestory looks like an parallel word.
i wonder why Ishida decided to make such a contrast to the Manga? (So i once read, that he was quite dissapointed about the first season of the anime, am i right?)

I am really sad about some facts. there were wonderful, authentic moments in the Manga ( http://media.tumblr.com/d70cb380e9a145d1a6cc734fb2d08fce/tumblr_inline_n78rjoxqNW1sw2lsr.png just to mention one example) Everything seemed quite shallow compared to the manga chapter. it didn't affect me in any ways although this one of my personal chapter-highlights!

I understand that they have to thighten the story, but why does Kaneki only say goodby to toka? they should have integrated all members from anteiku :( But thats a personal thing.

Nevertheless, i am very curious of the next episodes and there i think we won't be able to compare it properly to the manga!
Jan 8, 2015 5:50 PM

Mar 2012
ah shit kaneki goin' HAM
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Jan 8, 2015 5:58 PM

Oct 2013
I'm so hyped for more,great start.

Jan 8, 2015 6:09 PM

Oct 2014
I wanted to see Ayato being half-killed. T-T
Jan 8, 2015 6:12 PM
Dec 2014
Kaneki is honestly one of the most badass characters in fiction
Jan 8, 2015 6:21 PM

Jul 2010
I am only have to say the fuck with the opening song.
The symbolism I like the song HELL NO
Ayato and Kaneki fight ,they seem to be well matched .
Like to see that teamwork ,he was so pissed at the end
I must say I was excited about the episode and then back to being sad at the end
I need that OST song so beautiful song
The end part with Touka was sad to see him go
The ending song is great better than the opening
I am excited because I don't know what will happen.
Jan 8, 2015 6:26 PM

Dec 2013
the new OP song sucked and the episode wasn't too bad, art and visuals were outstanding as per usual. glad to see kaneki finally getting into some action without getting his ass kicked.
gunsnrosesJan 8, 2015 6:33 PM
Jan 8, 2015 6:27 PM

Jul 2010
mrsflakes said:
Wow, honestly I was quite shocked after this episode ended. I didn't expect that the storytwist was already in the first episode and that it seems to be quite the opposite of the original story!

i am really curious what was up in Ishidas mind. To me, the Animestory looks like an parallel word.
i wonder why Ishida decided to make such a contrast to the Manga? (So i once read, that he was quite dissapointed about the first season of the anime, am i right?)

I am really sad about some facts. there were wonderful, authentic moments in the Manga ( http://media.tumblr.com/d70cb380e9a145d1a6cc734fb2d08fce/tumblr_inline_n78rjoxqNW1sw2lsr.png just to mention one example) Everything seemed quite shallow compared to the manga chapter. it didn't affect me in any ways although this one of my personal chapter-highlights!

I understand that they have to thighten the story, but why does Kaneki only say goodby to toka? they should have integrated all members from anteiku :( But thats a personal thing.

Nevertheless, i am very curious of the next episodes and there i think we won't be able to compare it properly to the manga!

Dude Tokyo Ghoul √A is a whole different route to the manga ,maybe some parts to it ,maybe not.
Tokyo Ghoul √A is written the original way Ishida Sui intended to write the story.
Jan 8, 2015 6:27 PM
Feb 2008
Was a pretty good episode. At least Kaneki isn't a wimp anymore.
Jan 8, 2015 6:28 PM
Dec 2014
j0sh said:
Dictator said:

I'm still hoping they'll do that scene xD

I think they'll end the new arc with that and then lead back into the Manga arcs
Jan 8, 2015 6:32 PM
Aug 2014
This is still actually very interesting. Hopefully episode 2 remedies the confusion that the first episode created. Still waiting for the actual manga-adaptation that isn't compressed into 12 or 24 episodes.
Jan 8, 2015 6:35 PM

Mar 2013
Disappointing OP, but the ED is quite nice.
Story plot-twist already? Damn.
Since this is taking an original route, I just hope there are subtle developments between Kaneki and Touka.
Dictator said:

Yup, same :P
Jan 8, 2015 6:35 PM

Jul 2014
The OP was a let down.
I'm a fan of the manga, and I was really looking forward to the Ayato vs Kaneki scene, and the part where Uta tells Kaneki that the mask is starting to suit him.

That plot twist though. At this point, I have no clue what Kaneki is thinking.

I wanted more Uta. :(

I really hope that the rest of the manga gets animated. Like a Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood thing.

In conclusion, I hope I get over the fact that this anime is not gonna follow the manga, and that the plot will be equally or even better that I'm hoping it will be.
Jan 8, 2015 6:37 PM

Aug 2014
RosyXkid said:
mrsflakes said:

Dude Tokyo Ghoul √A is a whole different route to the manga ,maybe some parts to it ,maybe not.
Tokyo Ghoul √A is written the original way Ishida Sui intended to write the story.

How is Tokyo Ghoul √A written the original way Ishida Sui intended? No it is not. It's just an alternate version of events after the Aogiri part. Where are you getting that Ishida wanted it this way but never had the chance to do so?
Dec 2013
even as a anime only watcher I don't get why Kaneki joined up with the bad guys??
To Manga Readers what happened in the manga as opposed to what we got?

Dec 2013
anyone else find it funny that touka was advising kaneki to dye his hair a normal colour when she's rocking purple hair?
Pages (17) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 10 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul √A Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 26, 2015

760 by ShirJager »»
Apr 17, 5:39 PM

» How do you feel

JoahAnime - Apr 18, 2022

37 by Zimmu »»
Apr 3, 11:48 AM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul √A Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 5, 2015

402 by efectiviuli »»
Feb 18, 2:29 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul √A Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 12, 2015

256 by dustyblue »»
Feb 7, 12:39 AM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul √A Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 15, 2015

300 by RapidPhantom »»
Jan 23, 7:50 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.