Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (17) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »
Jan 8, 2015 12:47 PM

Aug 2014
Kaneki badass much? Can't wait for the next episode.

Oh, pitiful shadow cloaked in darkness.
Thy actions cause men pain and suffering.
Thy hollow soul drowns in thy sins.
How would you like to see what death is like?
-Enma Ai
Jan 8, 2015 12:47 PM

Dec 2013
Wow that was a shit opening!

Good start. Action was alright. Curious to see where this goes.
Jan 8, 2015 12:49 PM

Aug 2013
came into this knowing its gonna take a different route like announced before
it's not bad, pretty good

but still, some parts of me wants to see the manga animated adapted as is :l

op is shit

Jan 8, 2015 12:50 PM

Feb 2014
I was dissapointed there was no bones breaking and a lot of badass moments were cut out too.
The OP is terribly boring.

But i m looking forward to see Kaneki in Aogiri, it was quite a surprise /_o
Jan 8, 2015 12:50 PM

Aug 2013
I feel like this first episode would've made an intriguing last episode to the previous season, and I do like how this directly continues the timeline.

Joining Aogiri... I knew it, because I read the spoilers, yet I hope at the end of this season he ends up regretting his choice or something, and returning to Anteiku. If not, maybe it'll merge with the manga timeline somewhere... eh, what am I hoping for? It's probably going to be something totally new.

I hope this does reach some sort of meaningful conclusion though, something that can bring a nice end, unlike Psycho Pass 2.
Jan 8, 2015 12:52 PM
Dec 2010
Surphyse said:
Yes, I feel confused, a lot actually, but I think this episode is supposed to let you feel that way. The explanations are certainly coming in future episodes. I for once enjoy the feeling that you don't understand everything but accept it.

Here's what's pissing me off. I read the manga, so I knew what was going on. But I felt like to anyone who hasn't read the manga, this episode would be really confusing and wouldn't make much sense.

Also, I didn't like the changes they made. One specific part that's pissing me off is when Kaneki pulling the mask out and put it on after eating Yamori's kagune. Where would he get the mask from? He didn't have it. It just magically appeared? In the manga, Uta gave it to him, but in the episode it just appeared?

reading the manga or not. This episode is completely different from the manga. From the owl fight and the ayato fight, and the ending is completely from out of nowhere. This isn't even near canon so any manga reader should not have expected the results of both fights and the ending. None the less 2/5 episode.
blaze it
Aug 2014
Manga readers who are watching Root A should have done their research and have known in the first place this anime isn't a second season and has an original storyline >.>

It's going to be a while before we get Tokyo Ghoul "Brotherhood."

Jan 2014
I really don't understand why he'd want to go to Aogiri??
Im glad to see that there is less censorship in this episode though
Jan 8, 2015 12:55 PM

Aug 2014
Sweaty TG fans all around...
Jan 8, 2015 12:56 PM

Feb 2013
welp op is meh. no half kill scene, and kaneki joins aogiri out of the blue, but what bother me most is where the heck kaneki got his mask? i dont remember yamori bringing it with him when he kidnapped him. there is no scene where kaneki meets uta either, so wtf?
well atleast we will see the series from aogiri POV

we will not see kaneki's group formed v_v

Shiiiru said:
It's going to be a while before we get Tokyo Ghoul "Brotherhood."

i see what u did there :D
RazuhikoJan 8, 2015 1:04 PM
If anything in this life is certain, if history has taught us anything, it is that you can kill anyone
Jan 8, 2015 12:57 PM
May 2013
why is everyone so hung up on the broken bones? its a parallel universe so he cant just break ayatos bones then join him.

And even if he did people are saying that there is censors on some of the videos.so you wouldn't even be able to see it.

to person above me,he hinted it when he told ayato his secret for joining.
Jan 8, 2015 12:58 PM

Aug 2013
I am so glad it's back. Kaneki is awesome.
Jan 8, 2015 12:58 PM

Aug 2013
hibiki6 said:
why is everyone so hung up on the broken bones? its a parallel universe so he cant just break ayatos bones then join him.

And even if he did people are saying that there is censors on some of the videos.so you wouldn't even be able to see it.

to person above me,he hinted it when he told ayato his secret for joining.

cause him breaking bones, is like, literally one of the most badass scenes there were

Jan 8, 2015 12:59 PM

Jan 2008
That was pretty awesome. At least now people will stop comparing it to the manga in terms of adaption quality.
Jan 8, 2015 1:00 PM

Jul 2014
Paul said:
That was pretty awesome. At least now people will stop comparing it to the manga in terms of adaption quality.

Haha, no they wont.
Jan 8, 2015 1:03 PM

Jun 2014
OP was fucking trash, episode was alright and their wasn't that much censoring. Hopefully season 2 will be good.
Jan 8, 2015 1:05 PM

Jul 2014
Arcanix said:
Paul said:

Haha, no they wont.

They will say that the original route is shit or some crap.
"Hi!"
Jan 8, 2015 1:06 PM

Sep 2014
Arcanix said:
Paul said:

Haha, no they wont.
living in hope...

Jun 2012
quentariel said:
By the way. I'm really glad that I don't read the mangas before watching the animes. It seems that no-one is ever happy with any way the anime turns out, because it isn't exactly like the manga. (I have the same feeling with novels adaptated in movies, I always like the books more).

So I'm happy to watch anime without any lingering expectations. With this episode it was nice just to watch the aftermath of the battle without knowing what is to come, and without knowing the answers of all the questions.

There are numerous examples of well adapted mangas. There is only one problem of what you do. After you watch the anime and switch to the manga, the experience won't be new or fresh, much don't like read something they know. If you had started the manga first you would have a better story and would be surprise 10x more in positive than you were with the anime.
SnaitaJan 8, 2015 1:13 PM

Dec 2013
Paul said:
There's still writing quality to compare, its Ishida though so i'm expecting a coherent storytelling.
FragOutFire said:

Why am I a Berserk fan? All I ever experience is pain.

We are in the eclipse and Miura has sacrificed us

Jun 2013
Did I just see Kaneki join Aogiri???
Now this is how you don't follow the manga! Hype mode activated!!!
Jan 8, 2015 1:08 PM

Jan 2008
Arcanix said:
Paul said:

Haha, no they wont.

I'm sure they'll still refer and compare but what I'm expecting less of is complaining about that manga to anime adaption which was pretty much annoying seeing in every single discussion thread last season.
Jan 8, 2015 1:10 PM

Apr 2014
I'm actually really, really happy with all of this.
I hated season 1 for what it did to the manga's story.
But this... I really like this.
I like the opening, too. I think it fits Tokyo Ghoul as a whole very well. Like... very, very well.
ED was good. The insert song at the end was really great.
I just... really love this. The change in story is super interesting.
Can't wait for more!
Jan 8, 2015 1:12 PM

May 2014
Paul said:
Arcanix said:

Haha, no they wont.

I'm sure they'll still refer and compare but what I'm expecting less of is complaining about that manga to anime adaption which was pretty much annoying seeing in every single discussion thread last season.

Actually i doubt that, i can all ready see this shit-storming into anime VS. source material wars (exactly like what happened with F/SN)
In any case this will be entertaining :D
Dec 2013
Manga readers are butthurt as usual

Oct 2011
The Mangaka wanted this to be the original story line then?
Jan 8, 2015 1:15 PM

May 2014
AnimeFan500 said:

i "hear" that allot of people were displeased with how things turned out in the manga, maybe it's because of that, but i never actually red it , so .... not a clue o_o
Jan 8, 2015 1:16 PM
May 2010
RyuPeter said:
DISAPPOINTED!
Nothing like the manga... where Kaneki broke half of the Ayato bones...
Everyone who read the manga will feel the pain of this episode...

Totally agree with this here... T_T cos I'm feeling it...
Jan 8, 2015 1:16 PM

Aug 2013
What an intense start to the season! I really enjoyed this episode! I'm expecting great things from Tokyo Ghoul, since I liked season 1.

Side Note: You can never satisfy everyone. There will be people complaining no matter what.
PoeticJustice said:
nigga i am black, do you think my ass would fit in? "Oh look it is negro kun." Hell no.
Jan 8, 2015 1:18 PM

Jun 2012
AnimeFan500 said:

Nope, at least by my logic it doesn't make sense. This is the original draft, he may wanted to put this, but if it's not in the manga, it must been it has been rejected by editors, etc... and ultimatly by him in end.
Aug 2014
AnimeFan500 said:

No he wanted to do an original storyline because he didn't like the adaptation of the first season of the anime.

WAD1992 said:
AnimeFan500 said:

i "hear" that allot of people were displeased with how things turned out in the manga, maybe it's because of that, but i never actually red it , so .... not a clue o_o

Ppl were displeased with the way the manga ended due to a lot of loose ends but that was fixed when the manga sequel came out.

Dec 2012
They skipped the part where Kaneki broke half of all Ayato's bones...
Jan 8, 2015 1:19 PM

Jun 2013
HOLY FUCK TOKYO GHOUL PULLS ANOTHER 10 OUT OF FUCKING 10 FIRST EPISODE!

The animation was fucking amazing compared to the first season, it's like I was watching a BD or something, looks like no censoring bs and all that other crap that made the first season bad. So hype with just the first episode OMG

I don't even care that this is going anime original, this was still fucking amazing
Jan 8, 2015 1:22 PM

Jul 2014
I don't like the new OP :/
So there really was no anatomy class with Kaneki sensei? Bummer
Jan 8, 2015 1:26 PM
May 2010
Snaita said:
amare135 said:
He said it's the original draft, he changed his mind because it's crap obviously. No it's not better at all, you're just trying hard to be different.

+1
The author just doesn't want the actually story to be butchered by the studio, a smart person.

Ahhh! Yeh! o.O if that's so then that's way clever of him! xD Lol ... don't let them butcher his awesome work again! xD I actually had got my hopes up (foolishly) thinking Studio Pierrot would do a better job this time but... I really am beyond disappointed :/ Heck, even Psycho Pass season 2 disappointment wasn't this strong. The least they could have done was make a nice opening T_T maybe a decent one... I know that Unravel probably would still have be the better opening because it's hard to produce something of such a high quality again but... really... this opening... It's like they didn't even try.
Jan 8, 2015 1:28 PM

Apr 2013
lucidbrandon said:

The animation was fucking amazing compared to the first season, it's like I was watching a BD or something, looks like no censoring bs and all that other crap that made the first season bad. So hype with just the first episode OMG

I don't even care that this is going anime original, this was still fucking amazing

Really? 10/10? -.-
Jan 8, 2015 1:29 PM

Dec 2013
LeosApathy said:
lucidbrandon said:

Really? 10/10? -.-

Lols, nothing happened in that episode, like literally nothing. Calm yourself.
Jan 8, 2015 1:30 PM
Aug 2014
It's too early for me too rate this anime I'll wait until I finish episode 12.
Jan 8, 2015 1:34 PM

Apr 2012
wtf why is he joining the bad duudes
the ED art looks good. Also have to readjust to the new art style.

Jan 8, 2015 1:34 PM

Dec 2013
robis798 said:
LeosApathy said:

Really? 10/10? -.-

Lols, nothing happened in that episode, like literally nothing. Calm yourself.
Fight happened.
FragOutFire said:

Why am I a Berserk fan? All I ever experience is pain.

We are in the eclipse and Miura has sacrificed us
Jan 8, 2015 1:35 PM

Jun 2013
Zeally said:

read the manga to find out
Dec 2013
There was one scene I was really looking forward to, but it didn't show, so I'm really disappointed.
I didn't like the opening either.

But I did enjoy the twist at the end, so I'll keep watching.

Apr 2011
Most overrated anime of the season came fast it seems. Well, at least for now it's overrated. Probably nice for those who read the manga, for me it's.. bad... didn't understand what happened from the start till the end.
Jan 8, 2015 1:37 PM

Jun 2013
very nice episode this is so going to be better than season 1
better pacing than season 1 so far hope it stays that way
Jan 8, 2015 1:42 PM

May 2012
Kaneki22 said:
Zeally said:

read the manga to find out

?

Homm said:
Most overrated anime of the season came fast it seems. Well, at least for now it's overrated. Probably nice for those who read the manga, for me it's.. bad... didn't understand what happened from the start till the end.

Because the first season was rushed as hell and the arcs were switched around.

You could read up to ch 60 or 70 and you'll be caught up to this sequel.

Jan 8, 2015 1:43 PM

Jan 2015
Asheroth said:
quentariel said:
By the way. I'm really glad that I don't read the mangas before watching the animes. It seems that no-one is ever happy with any way the anime turns out, because it isn't exactly like the manga. (I have the same feeling with novels adaptated in movies, I always like the books more).

So I'm happy to watch anime without any lingering expectations. With this episode it was nice just to watch the aftermath of the battle without knowing what is to come, and without knowing the answers of all the questions.

It IS possible to make the anime as good or better than the manga-original. Attack on titan, Hunter x Hunter, Gintama, Kuroko no Basket & Haikyuu for some recent examples.

It's also possible to make great anime originals based off of mangas, such as the original FMA anime. While Brotherhood was good (and had better animation overall), it just felt WAY too clean and happy compared to the much more solemn original. A lot of people feel that the original anime's story was better than the manga's story (not by a whole lot, but still better).

As for this episode:

- Gotta say, I like the visuals and song of the OP. Yes, the latter lyrics are....odd, but it fits the overall tone of the OP fits the tone of the story that it seems that we're gonna get with Root A.

- So Kaneki's mask just materialized out of nowhere? Well, this isn't really surprising as in both the manga and anime Kaneki's cloths and nails just change coloring without any explanation XD.

- No 103 bones...well, I'm kinda 50/50 on this. On one hand it's an epic scene. Period. On the other hand, that scene is taken out of context to basically be "Kaneki rekt Ayato", which I hate. The manga, and Kaneki, imply that Ayato is on Kaneki's level; Kaneki straight up tells that Ayato could've killed him in their exchange and that Ayato is easily stronger, or just stronger, than Yamori/Jason as well, and has just been playing possum. It's just that Kaneki mind f*cks him with his by basically revealing Ayato's true feelings, after which Kaneki proceeds to blast a flustered/caught off guard Ayato thru like 4-6 floors XD. People need to realize that Ayato isn't Kaneki's b*tch, and is much stronger than he's shown; I mean, look how long he can fight despite his kagune type being the one with the least about of stamina.

- Amon's new qunique was broken in the Owl fight....that didn't happen in the manga. Does that mean that he's getting a brand new one soon, or is he gonna get Doujima Ver. 2 earlier than expected?

- The song at the end with Kaneki walking towards/with the Aogiri execs was amazing.

- Love the ending. Also, another "Rize raping Kaneki" pic XD.

Overall, I'll give it a 7.5-8/10. Good episode, but the pacing was off.

I really hate that this season is also 12 eps, instead off 24 eps, because it's going to get rushed. I really hope the CCG get their shine, UNLIKE in the first season.
Makaze_no_MoujuuJan 8, 2015 1:51 PM
Jan 8, 2015 1:44 PM

Feb 2012
What the hell is going on?
Jan 8, 2015 1:45 PM

Jan 2013
Seems like it's gonna take a completely different turn compared to the manga. I'm gonna stop looking at this as the manga, and rather look at it as an original story. That might be a good way for me to enjoy it.
Jan 8, 2015 1:47 PM
Jan 2013
Homm said:

I did not read the manga and I understood what happened. I don't know what to tell you :/
Jan 8, 2015 1:47 PM

Jun 2012
5/10 for me..maybe because i didnt knew it was going to be alternative world, but i got so pissed when they skipped the 104 bones breaking by Kaneki to Ayato...White haired Kaneki is much more badass in the manga, the fights so far have been so short...So much potential lost ( Kaneki x Jason , Owl vs 2 armored investigators , Kaneki vs Ayato ) geez...

And that ending Kaneki joining Aogiri tree..i didnt like it either but lets see where this is going.
Pages (17) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul √A Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 26, 2015

760 by ShirJager »»
Apr 17, 5:39 PM

» How do you feel

JoahAnime - Apr 18, 2022

37 by Zimmu »»
Apr 3, 11:48 AM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul √A Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 5, 2015

402 by efectiviuli »»
Feb 18, 2:29 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul √A Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 12, 2015

256 by dustyblue »»
Feb 7, 12:39 AM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul √A Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 15, 2015

300 by RapidPhantom »»
Jan 23, 7:50 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.