Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jan 4, 2015 3:31 PM
Jan 2015
So a few months ago, I started watching SOA because of the whole, "trapped in a videogame" thing. I was disappointed in more than a few aspects, to say the least, but I sticked out until the end, and then I switched over to Log Horizon. If you're following the show like I am, then you probably know that they're still releasing episodes, and I don't have any new anime to watch at the moment, and I'm thinking of starting .hack, but I'd like to hear your opinions. So, is it worth it? And if so, where should I start? [since there are a few versions of the show, supposedly, and im confused af]
Jan 4, 2015 3:36 PM

Mar 2013
Quantum was alright.

I wouldn't really recommend the others.
Jan 4, 2015 3:39 PM

Oct 2013
No it's complete trash right alongside with SOA
Jan 4, 2015 3:42 PM

May 2013
Sign definitely isn't. It's about people standing around talking....and talking....and talking....
Jan 4, 2015 3:42 PM

Dec 2013
Sign is incredibly slow but has fantastic characters. I lot of people really hate it, but I thought it was pretty decent despite the snail pace.
Jan 4, 2015 3:43 PM

Mar 2014
Fierce_Deity22 said:
No it's complete trash right alongside with SOA
Jan 4, 2015 6:00 PM
Jul 2013
.hack//SIGN in my opinion is the best of the .hack animes. Nice characters from what I remember, and memorable soundtrack. After that there's //Liminality (the anime that accompanied the first game series on the PS2), and then the //Twilight one (I don't remember much about it). Then there is hack//roots which takes place years after the events of the first anime. This one was also followed by a series of games on the PS2, and some 3-part OVA from what I remember. //SIGN and //roots were pretty decent shows.
Jan 4, 2015 6:06 PM

May 2012
.hack//sign had some nice atmosphere and a beautiful setting but it's incredibly slow paced. I'm not sure about the others in the series but I don't hear that great of things about them.
Jan 4, 2015 6:13 PM

Mar 2013
SpaceHamster said:
I gave one of the .hack//SIGN 9/10, so it should probably be worth it once you get into it.

Also anyone find the naming of the show ridiculously retarded and wish to enlighten me on why they did it that way?

Probably cause it sounded cool or something.
Jan 4, 2015 6:27 PM

Jan 2010
.hack//Sign was more of a character analysis than a show about video games. Or even a show at that. I enjoyed the talking, but that's only because I'm a sucker for that type of stuff. It would be crazy boring for anyone not used to the pace though. I haven't watched any of the others, so I can't comment on those.
Jan 4, 2015 6:28 PM
Sep 2014
I'm currently watching .hack//Sign and so far it's 3, 4/10
Jan 4, 2015 10:35 PM

Jun 2007
As someone with no experience with the .hack// game franchise and only secondhand MMO experience: Sign was decent, Twilight was LOLTwincest, and Roots was an absolute slog (with a poor/game tie-in ending) that was only made bearable by the busty catgirl character. If you like the genre, Sign is good enough and self-contained enough that you don't have to go on to other entries if you don't want to.

But perhaps the best comparison to make would be to shows like Noir, Madlax, Avenger, and Tsubasa Chronicle (TV). They've got the same studio (Bee Train), same director (Koichi Mashimo), and same composer (Yuki Kajiura) as the .hack// franchise. If those shows put you to sleep, .hack// will be the same if not worse.
Jan 4, 2015 10:41 PM

Jul 2013
I was thinking about watching this but I am a little hesitant. lol.
Jan 4, 2015 10:52 PM

Oct 2009
Zalis said:
As someone with no experience with the .hack// game franchise and only secondhand MMO experience: Sign was decent, Twilight was LOLTwincest, and Roots was an absolute slog (with a poor/game tie-in ending) that was only made bearable by the busty catgirl character. If you like the genre, Sign is good enough and self-contained enough that you don't have to go on to other entries if you don't want to.

But perhaps the best comparison to make would be to shows like Noir, Madlax, Avenger, and Tsubasa Chronicle (TV). They've got the same studio (Bee Train), same director (Koichi Mashimo), and same composer (Yuki Kajiura) as the .hack// franchise. If those shows put you to sleep, .hack// will be the same if not worse.

Yuki Kajuira music is good for sleeping, btw.
Felt like a light trip, sometimes.
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Jan 4, 2015 11:32 PM
Nobody

Jul 2013
Only the CGI movie I watched was worth it imo

http://myanimelist.net/anime/11375/.hack//The_Movie:_Sekai_no_Mukou_ni

the rest of them is boring as fuck
Jan 5, 2015 1:00 AM

Oct 2014
.hack//SIGN is the most misleading series imaginable. The pitch: someone trapped in an MMO. So, you would think it would have action like an MMO, questing like an MMO, maybe some MMO jargon.

Nope.

It's a slow-paced anime that couldn't have less to do with MMOs. Most of the screen time is spent on characters sitting around in dull conversation.

Soundtrack is great though.
Jan 5, 2015 1:14 AM

Dec 2014
Just watch the 4 episode of Quantum and call it a day for the series.
Jan 23, 2015 6:03 AM

Jul 2013
So it's not worth watching?
Jan 23, 2015 6:10 AM

Aug 2008
Sign had excellent writing and characterization, as well as development. Tsukasa is one of the most unique and substantial protagonists that I've seen in anime.

If it doesn't suit your pace, that's on you. Nothing wrong with the show itself. My recommendation is to watch it.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.
Sep 12, 2016 1:10 PM
Sep 2016
I watched hack sign when i was 15 (25 now) i'm watching it again now, with my little brother 15, he likes it so much that we watch 3 episodes instead of 2 like we always do with other animes.

This anime has an amazing world, character and music wich each time i watch it (5 time now 3 time alone 1time with my dad and now with my little brother) immerse me totally, it's one of the reason i'm fan of MMO people who think that it isn't mmo enough because there's no questing are wrong, i don't care about questing or dungeons in mmo, only about interaction with other people, and it's exactly what you are getting here. If i could play in an mmo world it would totally be .Hack sign.

I know it's too late for the poster but if anybody come by here, do give this anime a shot, in the end it's a lot like Lain more than SAO or Log Horizon.
Sep 13, 2016 4:29 AM
Apr 2009
Now i have finished this anime completely and it is a good anime, filled with great colour and as time progresses you become more and more curious as to what will happen next. So on and so fourth till you get to the final episode (Which is episode 28). I recommend everyone give this anime a go, sure it has at least 2 filler episodes but unlike the annoying filler in other anime that makes no sense, when you watch the anime; filler included it makes it very enjoyable. I recommend everyone give this anime ago.
Sep 21, 2016 8:17 AM

May 2016
White_Sonja said:
do give this anime a shot, in the end it's a lot like Lain more than SAO or Log Horizon.

This. I've been rewatching .hack//SIGN because I remember watching it on TV when I was a little kid, and now I'm realizing that a lot of the psychology in this show hits dangerously close to home. It's honestly helping me heal.

Think of it as a psychological drama more than strictly an MMO action anime.
Dec 1, 2016 2:53 AM
Nov 2012
I own .Hack//sign and twilight
Mar 16, 2017 4:11 PM
Apr 2016
Yes if you have an open mind.
Jul 4, 2017 8:02 AM

Jun 2010
After having seen it complete, I would not recommend it, unless you have no anime in queue to see.
Sep 1, 2017 7:20 PM

Apr 2010
You might not enjoy it but you should watch it. Most people would say the sound track is the most outstanding element of the anime which it is rightfully so.

It also introduced the whole stuck in internet game story line which other anime titles have been based off.
Sep 21, 2017 9:54 PM
Aug 2007
Yes, but do you like atmosphere with slow pacing and character analysis? Most people like Kajiura's music at least.

More topics from this board

Poll: » .hack//SIGN Episode 18 Discussion

jacobpaige - Mar 29, 2008

22 by Lil-Bird »»
Mar 14, 9:46 PM

Poll: » .hack//SIGN Episode 10 Discussion

CyanideKoolaid - Jan 25, 2009

14 by StateofOhayo »»
Nov 25, 2023 5:52 PM

Poll: » .hack//SIGN Episode 5 Discussion

CyanideKoolaid - Jan 23, 2009

26 by StateofOhayo »»
Nov 25, 2023 7:13 AM

Poll: » .hack//SIGN Episode 4 Discussion

CyanideKoolaid - Jan 23, 2009

38 by StateofOhayo »»
Nov 25, 2023 6:34 AM

» [Deleted]

JustOscar - Jun 30, 2023

2 by Karinara »»
Jul 12, 2023 11:41 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.