Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Dec 2, 2014 11:55 PM

Sep 2014
This honestly boggles my mind. I think if you took a kid off the street and asked if he watched death note or pokemon, 99% the answer would pokemon. Popular series like death note, bleach, naruto, DBZ, all have subs and I think Pokemon is just as popular as them. So why does pokemon get the short end of the stick when it comes to subs?

If you buy the pokemon dvds, they are only in dubbed format. If you legally stream pokemon online, it's only in dubbed format. And I mean I know there's a sub group for pokemon but they didn't even bother to sub all the episodes, so you're getting a mix of dubbed and subbed. So you can't even torrent or illegally stream to watch pokemon in japanese with english subs. (excluding pokemon x/y and I believe all series of the black and white saga.)

Isn't it kind of bizzare to only be able to watch a cartoon made in japan in english? I would totally watch every single episode of pokemon from every generation if subs were available for all the episodes. But for some reason, this hasn't come to fruition.

Dec 2, 2014 11:57 PM

Jul 2014
I wanna be...the very best
Like no one ever was

[b]“To be honest, as this world goes, is to be one man picked out of ten thousand.” - Hamlet [/b]
Dec 2, 2014 11:58 PM

Sep 2014
Gatsby42 said:
I wanna be...the very best
Like no one ever was

great theme song. love the pokemon rap as well.
Dec 2, 2014 11:59 PM

Sep 2014
RinArcher said:
Please make your way to the correct sub-board for your questions.

Thank you and have a good day.

this is discussing pokemon as a whole. not just one series.
Dec 3, 2014 12:01 AM

Sep 2014
RinArcher said:
If you really wanna know why, its because translating instead of just ripping translations off from places like CR is damn hard and no one is going to bother to do that with a long running series like Pokemon.

I don't know if most of the Pokemon shows had Japanese dubs with english subs encoded in them but if they didn't, there is your answer.

bleach and naruto are still going and have subs for them tho
Dec 3, 2014 12:02 AM

Jun 2013
Pokémon is always better in English. The sub is horrendous. I watched the banned episodes in sub and it was the most horrible thing I have ever heard.
Dec 3, 2014 12:02 AM

Jan 2011
Who the hell watches Pokémon subbed?
Dec 3, 2014 12:03 AM

Feb 2010
AnimeFreak-San said:
RinArcher said:
If you really wanna know why, its because translating instead of just ripping translations off from places like CR is damn hard and no one is going to bother to do that with a long running series like Pokemon.

I don't know if most of the Pokemon shows had Japanese dubs with english subs encoded in them but if they didn't, there is your answer.

pokemons an older show older shows tend to not be subbed as much as newer ones
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Dec 3, 2014 12:03 AM

Sep 2014
LelouchTheZero said:
Pokémon is always better in English. The sub is horrendous. I watched the banned episodes in sub and it was the most horrible thing I have ever heard.

interesting. I don't really care for the dubbed. Whoever took over for ash and made him sound like a kid ruined it. (I mean I know he is a kid, but still.)
Dec 3, 2014 12:04 AM
Nobody

Jul 2013
I don't watch polkemon sub due to the fact that they always call the pokemon by their japanese name, which I really don't like, but youcan easily find subs for it if you look hard enough

I find it difficult to find pokemon dub though, only 1 website where I can get it roughly just after it comes out, everywhere else takes a couple of days
Dec 3, 2014 12:08 AM

Sep 2014
hazerddex said:
AnimeFreak-San said:

pokemons an older show older shows tend to not be subbed as much as newer ones

hmmm i just looked and its only a few years older than naruto. but maybe that is one of the reasons.
Dec 3, 2014 12:12 AM

Jan 2011
AnimeFreak-San said:
LelouchTheZero said:

interesting. I don't really care for the dubbed. Whoever took over for ash and made him sound like a kid ruined it. (I mean I know he is a kid, but still.)
Wut?
Dec 3, 2014 12:14 AM
Nobody

Jul 2013
ReaperCreeper said:

AnimeFreak-San does
Dec 3, 2014 12:15 AM

Sep 2014
ReaperCreeper said:
AnimeFreak-San said:

Wut?

whoever the new voice actor is that took over doesn't sound good to me. I guess he sounds "more like a kid" to me which bothers me. (unless a third has taken over or the second one has improved, then I take back what I said.)
Dec 3, 2014 12:16 AM

Jan 2011
AnimeFreak-San said:
ReaperCreeper said:
Wut?

whoever the new voice actor is that took over doesn't sound good to me. I guess he sounds "more like a kid" to me which bothers me. (unless a third has taken over or the second one has improved, then I take back what I said.)
I'm more confused over how a kid sounding like a kid is a bad thing.
Dec 3, 2014 12:22 AM

Sep 2014
ReaperCreeper said:
AnimeFreak-San said:

I'm more confused over how a kid sounding like a kid is a bad thing.

I guess he went from a trainer that sounded somewhat mature and rational in battles, to just some kid happy to have discovered this first pokemon. I think a deeper voiced better suited his tendency to find good strategies in battle.
Dec 3, 2014 12:27 AM

Jan 2009
it has too many episodes that fansubbers do not want to bother translating at all
Dec 3, 2014 12:29 AM
Nobody

Jul 2013
j0x said:
it has too many episodes that fansubbers do not want to bother translating at all

only like 800 or so, that's not a lot, plus people subbed gundam even though that has a lot of episodes
Dec 3, 2014 12:31 AM

Jan 2009
JOAOAA said:
j0x said:

only like 800 or so, that's not a lot, plus people subbed gundam even though that has a lot of episodes

guess that means fansubbers do not like pokemon then
Dec 3, 2014 12:32 AM
Nobody

Jul 2013
j0x said:
JOAOAA said:

guess that means fansubbers do not like pokemon then

or the fact no one gives a shit about shows made for kids

Sep 2014
j0x said:

they could at least sub one season...and legally.

and all the other long-running series get their own legal subs...

Jun 2014
Because the main fanbase of Pokemon (the anime, not the games) are kids who probably don't even know how to use a computer properly yet, let alone watch subbed anime
Dec 3, 2014 12:43 AM

Sep 2014
Qans said:
Because the main fanbase of Pokemon (the anime, not the games) are kids who probably don't even know how to use a computer properly yet, let alone watch subbed anime

I hadn't even thought about that. I guess that even if some older people watch the show, the target audience is still kids. Who wouldn't fuss over not getting any subs and just want something fun to watch.

Bummer.

edit: (instead of making a double post...)

I just thought of something else. I mean doesn't the way that anime comes into america is that first it gets subbed than dubbed? isn't that the natural order for anime? maybe I'm naive...I just thought that was how all anime was done.
AnimeFreak-SanDec 3, 2014 12:56 AM
Dec 18, 2014 12:50 AM

Jul 2007
At least they are pretty fast with the official dubs, however they are still quite irregular and a few episodes behind.

I have found PMFansubs to be a pretty solid sub group who have not missed an episode, but they are not fast to release by any means.
Dec 31, 2014 7:14 PM

Mar 2008
It may be the kiddy aspect of it.

Or maybe why some stopped watching the anime at all, lack of any kind of progression. Like the fact that Ash has been journeying for 17 years and yet has barely aged. A guy who started out wanting to become a pokemon master and yet has avoided actually going after that goal, constantly moving to a new area, dumping 99% of this pokemon and starting at rookie trainer level.

Or could just reflect the state of subbing. Some shows are going to slip through the cracks and a long running one like Pokemon that might continue for eternity would be a daunting prospect.
Jul 5, 2015 10:17 PM
Jul 2015
AnimeFreak-San said:

I just thought of something else. I mean doesn't the way that anime comes into america is that first it gets subbed than dubbed? isn't that the natural order for anime? maybe I'm naive...I just thought that was how all anime was done.

This is a very recent (within the past 10 years) trend, by and large, anything new that comes out will have a subbed version first while they work on the dub - since the simulcast is a thing now. When Pokemon originally aired in the US, simulcasts weren't a thing yet - there was a target demographic for animation (children) and anything offensive and not family-friendly was removed - this makes it nearly impossible to go back later when the DVD comes out and put a dual audio track and subtitles into the show, since the dialogue won't be in time with the events on the screen anymore should anything be removed (such as a sequence in which Satoshi is slapped by Kasumi).

As for Fansubs of Pokemon not existing - I can't reach any sort of viable conclusion as to why no one has done it yet. I mean, I tried, but it just made me feel bad about myself as a Japanese major (some characters just speak very quickly and slur certain phonetics, so I can't get a baseline to translate from, and in other sequences, there are multiple conversations happening simultaneously).

As SpaceHamster said, translating things is damn hard. The only reason that Simulcasts work is because the people doing the translations a) probably have many more years of experience than much of the fan community, and b) likely have access to (at least) the transcripts of each episode days before it airs. I can't speak for everyone, but I lack the necessary experience to translate things without a written form to go from, and I have never been able to find a transcript or sub file for Pokemon in Japanese that I could work from - Otherwise, this is exactly how I'd be spending my time off before next semester starts.
Nov 11, 2015 11:10 AM
Nov 2015
There is a possibility that the some of the Pokémon anime is N/R. The DVD movies of Darkrai and Kyurem are two examples. Every movie before then was either G or PG. The Sub is probably unedited. Such as blood, mild ecchi; such as Ash falling on May, and situations fit for teenagers than kids. But probably after the indigo league(first series). I think I can find legal sites to stream official Pokémon subbed episodes.
Jan 13, 2016 1:17 PM

Jan 2016
Something interesting I found. A lot of the episodes havn't even been released in japan. This could be a reason it hasn't been subbed. Here's a list of the released episodes (it only goes up to black and white though.):
http://dogasu.bulbagarden.net/dvd/region02_tvepisodes.html#Isshu
"I'm gonna move it today! The mountain! The galaxy! Listen to my song!"
-Nekki Basara, Macross 7
Feb 24, 2016 2:50 PM
Jul 2015
I struggle with this too I don't like Satoshi's voice in the dub at all. I don't like how the dub voices sound and there are so many episodes that aren't subbed. So now I'm forced to watch the dub. I loved everything about sub and this left me a bit disappointed.
Feb 27, 2016 5:21 PM

May 2009
Cateleon10 said:
I struggle with this too I don't like Satoshi's voice in the dub at all. I don't like how the dub voices sound and there are so many episodes that aren't subbed. So now I'm forced to watch the dub. I loved everything about sub and this left me a bit disappointed.

The subbers were busy subbing the Hoopa movie from XY, they'll continue with XY&Z soon.
Mar 8, 2016 4:44 PM
Mar 2016
ReaperCreeper said:

Deaf/hard of hearing people.
Mar 8, 2016 5:01 PM

Apr 2011
The real question is: Why aren't you watching it in dub?
Apr 16, 2016 10:22 PM
Apr 2016
https://sites.google.com/site/pokemonsubsfanmade/home new site mantain for fast free accurate subs
Aug 2, 2016 4:22 AM

Jul 2015
ReaperCreeper said:

Me. Especially 4KIDS dubed episodes and XY episodes where Eureka's gag is censored by americans.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Jun 23, 2019 11:59 AM
Sep 2017
AnimeFreak-San said:
This honestly boggles my mind. I think if you took a kid off the street and asked if he watched death note or pokemon, 99% the answer would pokemon. Popular series like death note, bleach, naruto, DBZ, all have subs and I think Pokemon is just as popular as them. So why does pokemon get the short end of the stick when it comes to subs?

If you buy the pokemon dvds, they are only in dubbed format. If you legally stream pokemon online, it's only in dubbed format. And I mean I know there's a sub group for pokemon but they didn't even bother to sub all the episodes, so you're getting a mix of dubbed and subbed. So you can't even torrent or illegally stream to watch pokemon in japanese with english subs. (excluding pokemon x/y and I believe all series of the black and white saga.)

Isn't it kind of bizzare to only be able to watch a cartoon made in japan in english? I would totally watch every single episode of pokemon from every generation if subs were available for all the episodes. But for some reason, this hasn't come to fruition.

I agree. On 9anime the episodes for the indigo league, orange islands and all three seasons of Jhoto are all in one group, but of those 276 episodes, (considering if all of them are subbed) than only 169 of the 276 episodes are subbed, which puts it 9 episodes into the 2nd season of Jhoto, Jhoto League Champions
Feb 23, 2020 4:14 PM

Dec 2008
When Pokemon was first on the air, sure, it became hella popular, but most people just were satisfied with the dub. Some didn't even know that English wasn't the original language, and when they found out most fans didn't want to see the original. If you were one of the few who did, at the time fansubs (or bootlegs, this was a bootleg time) not just for Pokemon, but for other shows that aired with major cuts and rewrites, were rare. Forget official releases. So that's the background for lack of subs.

Moving forward and past the 1990s, things have gotten better. A huge backlog of episodes explains why it would be daunting for any fansubber to pick it up. At this point, I believe everything DP and after has been completely fansubbed. Parts of the original series and AG have as well, but not in complete, leaving major holes for anyone who wants to see the original subbed. I'll remember how it was and thank the fansubbers for what they have done. Love you guys!

As for official releases, yes, please, it's 2020, give us some kind of simulcast sub of the series at the very least. Digimon, previously dub-only, had subbed seasons on Netflix at some point. A lot of people will want to watch the dub only, so keep it for them, I don't care. And how about some DVD sets? Lesser known previously dub-only series like Monster Rancher/Farm have gotten their own sub DVD releases, so freaking Pokemon will probably make money. I guess they're making too much money with Pokemon Go to care, sigh.

I personally used to be a dub and original fan. Then I thought it was really shitty to fire/replace all the current VAs when the dubbing company changed. I gave the new ones a chance for over a year but I really didn't like it. Most were okay but I hated the new Team Rocket and they're my favs so yeah. Now I'll only watch subs or untranslated Japanese and that's why.
Oct 21, 2022 1:10 AM

Jan 2016
Pardon me for bumping an old thread but others have done so before it seems...

I dabbled in fansubbing in the past, and to make a decent-quality release of a 12 episode anime in a timely manner (1 episode every 7-10 days), you need 3 to 5 people. Pokemon has over 1000 episodes at this point. I personally have almost every episode in Japanese from the very beginning, all the way to the Sun & Moon era, sitting on my hard drive unsubbed, just in cases anyone wants to take up the task someday. I'm really not a fan of the English sub, *especially* the first few seasons, so that's why I keep these Japanese-language episodes - I'd really love to see them subbed. However, it would take a massive collaborative effort of 50+ people to make a serious attempt at subbing the Pokemon backlog without taking a decade plus to do it. Some of the stuff from about Diamond & Pearl onward seems to have been partially subbed, but a lot of it is in questionable quality with missing episodes. I'd really like to see one large group tackle everything in consistent, high quality.

Further hurting these chances is the fact that the majority of experienced fansubbers have retired by now. Simulcast streaming rendered traditional fansubbing irrelevant. The releases you find online today all use subtitles ripped from the official version. Nothing is fan-translated anymore aside from extremely niche projects or the occasional retro anime that never got a subbed release on VHS or DVD. In the 2000s and early 2010s, it wasn't hard to find new staff for a fansub project and new groups were popping up all the time. That isn't the case anymore. If there's a Discord out there full of people ready to seriously tackle the Pokemon backlog, send me an invite, but I haven't found one yet.
ZurenririOct 21, 2022 1:22 AM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Pokemon XY Episode 93 Discussion

ETX - Oct 27, 2015

27 by PrOxAnto »»
Mar 4, 7:48 AM

Poll: » Pokemon XY Episode 87 Discussion

Aipom - Sep 26, 2015

12 by PrOxAnto »»
Feb 20, 7:47 AM

Poll: » Pokemon XY Episode 86 Discussion

SweetKiichigo - Sep 9, 2015

19 by PrOxAnto »»
Feb 17, 8:33 AM

Poll: » Pokemon XY Episode 78 Discussion

SweetKiichigo - Jul 8, 2015

9 by PrOxAnto »»
Feb 7, 5:06 AM

Poll: » Pokemon XY Episode 72 Discussion

210125 - May 14, 2015

16 by PrOxAnto »»
Feb 6, 3:12 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.