Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 29, 2014 10:32 PM

May 2013
Since the majority of this site watch subbed shows, I want to know what is/are the best and worst fansub groups for you and please state WHY (with the exception of CR and Funi)

For me:
Best - Anime-Koi since tbh even though they're kinda late, I'm still grateful that they sub even the OP and ED
Worst - FBI because man, those non-sense notes are making me cringe all the time.
The world shall know the truth soon.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 29, 2014 10:36 PM

Jan 2011
I've seen sub scripts that look like they were machine translated. Those are probably the worse for me, I mean at least troll subs make sense.
Nov 29, 2014 10:41 PM

May 2013
ReaperCreeper said:
I've seen sub scripts that look like they were machine translated. Those are probably the worse for me, I mean at least troll subs make sense.

I see your point. I've seen ones like that too. And their quality is so unwatchable.
Nov 29, 2014 10:48 PM
Nov 2008
best: horriblesubs, because they're not uppity and egotistical and even when they do sub something themselves they just let everyone assume its a cr/funi sub rip because they care more about your enjoyment than their recognition. also, they're the only group that actually helped people download via their irc channel rather than acting elitist during the time nyaa was down.

worst: i dunno, the groups that rip from cr add some honorifics and then say it's their own?
Nov 29, 2014 10:50 PM
Mar 2011
dity said:
best: horriblesubs, because they're not uppity and egotistical and even when they do sub something themselves they just let everyone assume its a cr/funi sub rip because they care more about your enjoyment than their recognition. also, they're the only group that actually helped people download via their irc channel rather than acting elitist during the time nyaa was down.

worst: i dunno, the groups that rip from cr add some honorifics and then say it's their own?

horriblesubs, are over loaclized bull form wha iv seen of them
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Nov 29, 2014 10:51 PM
Nov 2008
FGAU1912 said:
dity said:

horriblesubs, are over loaclized bull form wha iv seen of them
we don't all give a crap about literal 'translation' fgau.
Nov 29, 2014 10:52 PM
Mar 2011
best from my very litmted use of subs [ for the site i mod for] are TV N very accuarte work alot better than dubbing scripts
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Nov 29, 2014 11:01 PM

Jan 2009
HorribleSubs is not a fansub, they are fanrippers that directly get their video and translation/scripts from CrunchyRoll, im surprise people still call them fansubs since actual fansubbing involved encoding their own video and translating/editing their own scripts and that actual fansubbing takes like 3-4 hours at most while HorribleSubs release their so called fansubs just minutes after it aired on CrunchyRoll
Nov 29, 2014 11:03 PM
Nov 2008
j0x said:
HorribleSubs is not a fansub, they are fanrippers that directly get their video and translation/scripts from CrunchyRoll, im surprise people still call them fansubs since actual fansubbing involved encoding their own video and translating/editing their own scripts and that actual fansubbing takes like 3-4 hours at most while HorribleSubs release their so called fansubs just minutes after it aired on CrunchyRoll
horriblesubs has automated ripping, muxing, and uploading. they however do their own translations from time to time. they've said so quite a few times.
Nov 29, 2014 11:09 PM

Mar 2012
Best = [&] subs, DameDame! subs and NBA subs
Worst = Commie, Deadfish
Do you play Azure Lane?
Then please join my fanclub
https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=74907
Nov 29, 2014 11:12 PM

Jan 2009
Zeta986 said:

Worst = Deadfish

DeadFish is just a re-encoder/transcoder though, they just remake the fansubs to h264 8-bit-depth and in MP4 container so that hardware media players can play it
Nov 29, 2014 11:14 PM
Mar 2011
dity said:
j0x said:
horriblesubs has automated ripping, muxing, and uploading. they however do their own translations from time to time. they've said so quite a few times.

i think thers reason they should be called horrible cuase there work is piss poor

Nov 29, 2014 11:20 PM

Aug 2011
Best for me is Hadena, too many to choose from for the worst though.

dity said:
j0x said:

They've said so, that doesn't make it true. There is a reason all their releases are so conveniently timed as to release after a legal site streams it.

FGAU1912 said:
dity said:

i think thers reason they should be called horrible cuase there work is piss poor

Why are you even watching fansubs?
Nov 29, 2014 11:25 PM

Jan 2009
mitch3315 said:

this is actually a joke

Hadena is the worse fansubs by far, their translation for Horizon in the Middle of No Where cause a lot of shitstorm on a lot of anime forums like 4chan /a/, im glad Hadena is inactive now

as for best fansubs i will go with GG fansubs, they are fast and have accurate translation with some trolling from time to time, another one is Dattebayo i grow up watching Naruto and Bleach from their fansubs
Nov 29, 2014 11:29 PM

Sep 2011
Minusing HorribleSubs since they're a ripping group and not a fansub group. The best groups would be leaning towards Vivid, FFF, EveTaku, UTW (DEAD) and Underwater in Terms of editing and translations. Anime-koi and or DDY would be better for the Song styling but that's about it. They lack the better editors and translators to be superior to any other groups.

I find it funny how people think HorribleSubs translates shows.
Nov 29, 2014 11:30 PM

Jul 2010
Best: Saizen, Eclipse Production (which does not sub anymore though), Unlimited Translation Works, Gotwoot

Worst: Horrible subs, Chihiro-Fansubs
Nov 29, 2014 11:30 PM
Nov 2008
mitch3315 said:

dity said:

They've said so, that doesn't make it true. There is a reason all their releases are so conveniently timed as to release after a legal site streams it.
thanks for stopping by.
Nov 29, 2014 11:32 PM

Aug 2011
Tyrel said:

I find it funny how people think HorribleSubs translates shows.

But, but, but they told me they sub their own shows!
Nov 29, 2014 11:35 PM

Jan 2013
Good: Underwater and FFF. Commie (BUT ONLY FOR SHOWS BY SHAFT. Also herkz is one hilarious dude)

Meh: Coalgirls (They're one of the few that go through the effort of blu-ray torrents but the file sizes... Sickening... If another subgroup releases a blu-ray torrent I usually go to that instead of Coalgirls at times.)

Bad: I don't really like horriblesubs, they butchered D-Frag (Had to resort to horriblesubs because I couldn't get my hands on FFF)
Nov 29, 2014 11:38 PM

Jul 2014
Based horrible subs.

on a more serious note, i like FFF, Underwater and UTW

Commie is awful because herkz is a jerk :)
Nov 29, 2014 11:40 PM

Jan 2013
Okashi_sama said:

Comeon now. He's an ass but the funny kind
Nov 29, 2014 11:40 PM
Nov 2008
VitaminCaim said:
Okashi_sama said:

laughing at him, or with him?
Nov 29, 2014 11:44 PM

Jul 2010
VitaminCaim said:
Good: Underwater and FFF. Commie (BUT ONLY FOR SHOWS BY
Meh: Coalgirls (They're one of the few that go through the effort of blu-ray torrents but the file sizes... Sickening... If another subgroup releases a blu-ray torrent I usually go to that instead of Coalgirls at times.)

Coalgirls does not sub. They use official subs or subs frome other fansubbing groups. Yes, some of their releases are bloated but their quality is top notch so for those that does not mind its size, they are one of the best choices and I like their releases even if they are 2GB for episode.
Nov 29, 2014 11:44 PM

Jan 2013
dity said:
VitaminCaim said:
Both. Genuinely lost my sides when I was browsing for a Blu Ray copy of Monogatari: SS and saw drama as Herkz accused Coalgirls of ripping Commie typesettings.

Nov 29, 2014 11:46 PM
Nov 2008
VitaminCaim said:
dity said:
Both. Genuinely lost my sides when I was browsing for a Blu Ray copy of Monogatari: SS and saw drama as Herkz accused Coalgirls of ripping Commie typesettings.

that avatar is glorious.
Nov 29, 2014 11:47 PM

Jul 2014
While Herkz is a funny person especially with the sarcastic comments, but unfortunately that doesn't change the fact that Commie subs are average/below average at best. the only good subs they did was the Monogatari series imo.
Nov 29, 2014 11:50 PM

Jan 2013
Okashi_sama said:
While Herkz is a funny person especially with the sarcastic comments, but unfortunately that doesn't change the fact that Commie subs are average/below average at best. the only good subs they did was the Monogatari series imo.
Hence SHAFT shows only. Though I did like what they did with Nisekoi.
Nov 29, 2014 11:50 PM
Mar 2011
mitch3315 said:

dity said:

FGAU1912 said:

Why are you even watching fansubs?

i help run a lovely anime and if i help fix a episode i i t has subs [ yes i back up every epidose for the siie on an external HDD its mre and one other guy running the site

Nov 29, 2014 11:51 PM
Nov 2008
FGAU1912 said:
i help run a lovely anime and if i help fix a episode i i t has subs [ yes i back up every epidose for the siie on an external HDD its mre and one other guy running the site
YOU fix subtitles

YOU?
Nov 29, 2014 11:52 PM

Jul 2014
VitaminCaim said:
Okashi_sama said:
Idk, i still can't forgive them for ruining Twintails by using western slangs.
Nov 29, 2014 11:53 PM
Mar 2011
dity said:
FGAU1912 said:
YOU fix subtitles

YOU?

no i re up vids that how i get exposure fan subs

Nov 30, 2014 12:00 AM

Sep 2012
I always download from BD or DVD groups for my anime, and they usually pick the best (or most popular) subs to use in their releases.

Best: UTW, Underwater, GotWoot, Static-Stubs

Worst: Hadena, Asuka-Subs

A lot of good groups have died off though. Other good ones are FFF and Doki.

I feel that Doki and Commie get unwarranted amounts of hate, especially Commie. Commie did great work on Psycho Pass and the Monogatari Series. Doki has great BD releases, at least video quality wise.
Nov 30, 2014 12:00 AM

Jan 2013
Okashi_sama said:
VitaminCaim said:
Worth

If they stopped the bullshit they'd be top tier imo. Rarely do you get these kind of subs

Nov 30, 2014 12:01 AM
Nov 2008
VitaminCaim said:
Okashi_sama said:
Worth

If they stopped the bullshit they'd be top tier imo. Rarely do you get these kind of subs
that mirror effect. love it.
Nov 30, 2014 12:03 AM

May 2013
dity said:
VitaminCaim said:
Worth

Lmao, how did they do that?
Nov 30, 2014 12:05 AM

Jan 2011
VitaminCaim said:

God that girl looks derpy.
Nov 30, 2014 12:05 AM
Apr 2013
SweetCoconut said:
dity said:

Lmao, how did they do that?
By using aegisub and some tags.
Nov 30, 2014 12:06 AM

Jan 2013
dity said:
Their Nisekoi sub effects though. Goddamn they were the best.

Nov 30, 2014 12:06 AM
Nov 2008
VitaminCaim said:
dity said:

this is the kind of thing i can get behind, really. the classic tl note makes it that much better.
Nov 30, 2014 12:07 AM

Jan 2011
dity said:
VitaminCaim said:

this is the kind of thing i can get behind, really. the classic tl note makes it that much better.
It suits the Shaft style too.
Nov 30, 2014 12:07 AM
Apr 2013
Best: Those who actually know how to encode stuff.
Worst: Those who don't.
Nov 30, 2014 12:11 AM

Jan 2013
dity said:
Good ol tl;notes. Those were fun. Helped explain a lot of puns I never got with some anime
ReaperCreeper said:
dity said:
Yeah, commie is the most suited for subbing Shaft imo
Nov 30, 2014 12:12 AM

May 2013
VitaminCaim said:
dity said:
Good ol tl;notes. Those were fun.
ReaperCreeper said:
Yeah, commie is the most suited for subbing Shaft imo

BUT DAT TL NOTE.
Nov 30, 2014 12:21 AM

Jan 2009
i also like Commie fansubs, they do not have a good translator and often just edit the script of crunchyroll too but they do put a good work on their ASS subtitle effects sometimes like shown in this thread, i also like their simple typesettings and their video encodes are consistent for the most part they use standard settings preset=veryslow and tune=aninmation and thats it, they do not pretend to be professional encoders that edits advance settings of x264, DarkShikari invented that presets and tunes to remove the complexity of x264 and they are following it
Nov 30, 2014 1:46 AM

Aug 2011
Commie are alright when they don't do stupid shit like shove their opinion down your throat with "Gay Swimming" or use some ridiculous word just to make themselves look smarter.
Nov 30, 2014 1:58 AM

Jan 2013
mitch3315 said:
Commie are alright when they don't do stupid shit like shove their opinion down your throat with "Gay Swimming" or use some ridiculous word just to make themselves look smarter.
Well you gotta admit, Free is pretty gay.

I mean comeon now
Nov 30, 2014 2:12 AM

Aug 2011
If you were a male watching a show full of fan service for females, than that would be pretty gay. The show itself wasn't gay in any other way.
Nov 30, 2014 2:21 AM

Jan 2013
^ For males too, look

The show was still pretty gay though.

Nov 30, 2014 2:22 AM
Nov 2008
actually makes me wonder how popular free was within the homosexual anime community. cos if it was popular, it's spot on.
Nov 30, 2014 2:27 AM

Jan 2013
dity said:
actually makes me wonder how popular free was within the homosexual anime community. cos if it was popular, it's spot on.
The first hentai doujinshi of Free! to upload on Fakku was a yaoi if that indicates anything (though I don't think it does)
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Why do people complain about "rapey" characters in anime?

Alpha_1_Zero - 12 hours ago

29 by -Ryu »»
1 minute ago

» Anime that you started watching because of Social Media

ST63LTH - 5 hours ago

21 by deg »»
2 minutes ago

» What if all characters, not just main, had infinite mana?

Catalano - 4 hours ago

3 by MogKnight »»
3 minutes ago

» Do you wish your culture was more represent in anime?

Spunkert - 2 hours ago

16 by deg »»
12 minutes ago

» Tell me why older anime is better that newer anime. ( 1 2 )

fluffycow17 - Mar 24, 2021

57 by MogKnight »»
13 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.