Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Oct 24, 2009 10:35 AM
Sep 2007
Not that I'm trying to troll someone, but I really wonder why is it that Clannad is ranked so high on MAL.

I'm on 6th episode, and so far it seems like any other annoying harem where every girl would suck main character's penis for every little thing he do, and other male characters are treated like a crap.

Sunohara is most likely the only good thing that happened so far in this show.
And what is he doing with Tomoya when he obviously isn't his friend?
Oct 24, 2009 10:37 AM

Sep 2009
You really have to grind through Clannad's like first 10-20 episodes before it gets good.

Credit to WingZero619 from Animesuki!!
Oct 24, 2009 10:42 AM
Sep 2007
cartier-ngo said:
You really have to grind through Clannad's like first 10-20 episodes before it gets good.
Well, I do intend to complete this show, since I never drop anything, but 10-20 episodes?
Isn't it like almost whole series?

After Story is ranked second on MAL, so I wanted to first complete original series, but I hardly think I'll be able to watch anything else from Clannad.

I guess cheap harems really aren't for me.
Oct 24, 2009 11:29 AM

Sep 2008
No, I guess they aren't.

Look who the anime is made by, if that isn't reason enough for the high rating.

I don't even remember where the first season starts picking up, if it does to begin with; maybe I just liked the entire thing and never noticed. the 2nd season however, doesn't really get going until the 9th or 10th episode.
Oct 24, 2009 11:31 AM

Jan 2009
Clannad and Clannad AS are completely different shows. Clannad is your typical harem anime, with a couple of completely useless arcs, but Clannad AS isn't i guess. I don't want to spoil anything but you will understand once you reach AS.
Oct 24, 2009 11:42 AM

Sep 2007
Asteriks said:
Not that I'm trying to troll someone, but I really wonder why is it that Clannad is ranked so high on MAL.

I wouldn't say it's "garbage" (there are some truly funny moments in the series, if nothing else), but it isn't very good either.

After Story has about 10 amazing episodes in a row. Like 9/10 quality, and I'm a pretty harsh critic. Then it goes back to being mediocre in time for the ending.

So yeah, don't expect too much from the fact that this series is highly rated and you'll enjoy it more. Also, nice favorites list you have there.
Oct 24, 2009 12:38 PM

Oct 2009
If you have just reached the 6th episode, you haven't even finished the Ibuki Fuko arc. :| You should really wait and watch more before making an assumption and calling an Anime as "garbage".

There are many story arcs of individual female characters in Clannad. Now according to your likings, you may love a few of the arcs, and you might just dislike a few or all of them. But the arcs unlike other Harems do seem to possess a relatively good storyline and accompanies many funny moments throughout the series. However, this is just Clannad. You haven't even reached Clannad After Story yet.

It will begin on the same note as Season 1, with a few minor characters having their own story arcs (not your typical harem here). And then begins the main story arc of the protagonist and his lover. Just hold your horses and keep on watching. You'll understand why it has been rated the way it is.

Oct 24, 2009 1:01 PM

Feb 2005
It's a rather mediocre harem imo, were it not for the comedy, which was rather good at times. I also did like some of the characters, and together with the humour, it did boost the score for my part.

AS had some really wonderful parts and could have been brilliant had it not suffered from a bunch of rather confusing, poorly constructed and imo, outright bad plot twists towards the end.
Oct 24, 2009 1:06 PM

Oct 2009
The bad plot twists?? LOL
The ending that came was in accordance with the end of the Visual Novel, which supposedly has 12 different endings to it. If you manage to collect all the orbs, then the perfect ending will appear, and that is what was shown in the Anime itself.

Oct 24, 2009 1:13 PM

Jun 2009
abhishek14 said:
The ending that came was in accordance with the end of the Visual Novel, which supposedly has 12 different endings to it. If you manage to collect all the orbs, then the perfect ending will appear, and that is what was shown in the Anime itself.

Just give it up while your ahead.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Oct 24, 2009 1:18 PM

Oct 2009
insan3soldiern said:
abhishek14 said:

Give what up? I'm just clarifying things here. :)

Oct 24, 2009 1:20 PM

Jun 2009
abhishek14 said:
insan3soldiern said:
abhishek14 said:

I'm saying that if you want to convince Baman about the ending, you will never succeed.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Oct 24, 2009 1:25 PM

Oct 2009
insan3soldiern said:
abhishek14 said:
insan3soldiern said:
abhishek14 said:

I'm saying that if you want to convince Baman about the ending, you will never succeed.

He's that stubborn is he? O_O
Well I didn't mean to force my opinion on him.
If he finds it bad then so be it. :P
I just clarified the reason behind those plot twists towards the end. =)

Oct 24, 2009 1:25 PM

Nov 2007
insan3soldiern said:
If you want to convince anyone in an Internet argument, you will never succeed.* Fixed

Even as a huge Key/KyoAni/moe fag who is easily impressed I found the ending to be quite rushed and confusing. Yes, I know how the arcs work. Yes, I've seen the timeline that explains it. As I haven't played the visual novel I can't say I know a better way that they could have approached it with but what they did sure as hell wasn't the right way.

Plus that entire bit with Fuko at the end made me want to shoot myself.
Oct 24, 2009 1:30 PM

Oct 2009
Xjellocross said:
insan3soldiern said:
If you want to convince anyone in an Internet argument, you will never succeed.* Fixed

That I definitely agree on. ^_^

Oct 24, 2009 1:54 PM

Feb 2005
The story did not do a good job at all to explain the nature of the light orbs and justify the sudden shift to the perfect ending for those of us who did not play the VN.

The whole bad ending/perfect ending deal works fine in a branching story VN, but I've rarely seen that implemented convincingly in a anime adaption. Trying to show both at once only clutter things more, they should have made the perfect ending a sequel or something like the other route OVAs.

And no matter how they'd patch it together, I'd still consider such a happy ending bad when it erases the all the tragedy, hardships and character growth that happened prior to it. As far as plot devices goes, it's almost as bad as the "Lol it was all a dream" ones.
Oct 24, 2009 2:08 PM

Jun 2009
Baman said:
The story did not do a good job at all to explain the nature of the light orbs and justify the sudden shift to the perfect ending for those of us who did not play the VN.

The whole bad ending/perfect ending deal works fine in a branching story VN, but I've rarely seen that implemented convincingly in a anime adaption. Trying to show both at once only clutter things more, they should have made the perfect ending a sequel or something like the other route OVAs.

And no matter how they'd patch it together, I'd still consider such a happy ending bad when it erases the all the tragedy, hardships and character growth that happened prior to it. As far as plot devices goes, it's almost as bad as the "Lol it was all a dream" ones.

Did you honestly believe that Clannad was going to turn out to be tragic? I am pretty sure that was never the intention to begin with. Also, why does everything have to be explained in words. Why can't you, I don't know, actually pay attention and think for yourself. And, the character development didn't get "erased". It is very clear, in your face clear, in fact, that Tomoya remembers everything that happens.

Also, this is very much turning into an After Story thread.

- Geralt of Rivia
Oct 24, 2009 2:25 PM

Sep 2007
insan3soldiern said:
And, the character development didn't get "erased". It is very clear, in your face clear, in fact, that Tomoya remembers everything that happens.
Yes, After Story's ending has a great message.

Oct 24, 2009 3:01 PM

Jun 2008
Clannad didn't even get that high a rating. It should be obvious that MAL's rating are inflated due to demography and what not. Still it's still somewhat relative. If you compare Clannad to many of the other romance comedies out there, it shines simply because it evokes emotion at a much higher rate than mostly any other in the genre, beside maybe some other works by Key. It also balance comedy and seriousness pretty well, arguably. Sometimes that's all the reasons you need to rate a show.

And don't watch a show based on hype. If this isn't repeatably stated already.
Oct 24, 2009 3:04 PM

Apr 2007
IT DOESN'T REALLY GET GOING TILL EPISODE 5 GUYS

what a dumb excuse
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 24, 2009 3:39 PM

Jan 2009
abhishek14 said:

Sigh, just because it ended the same way the VN did doesn't make it good. It was a very poor ending that completely destroyed the wonderfulness that was before it. I will refain from turning this into another Clannad AS ending thread so i will take my leave now.

Give it a try, AS is great up until episode 19.
Oct 24, 2009 3:45 PM

Feb 2005
insan3soldiern said:
Also, why does everything have to be explained in words. Why can't you, I don't know, actually pay attention and think for yourself.
I do believe I am quite good at reading behind the lines, I never had (much) problem with NGE even. But we just got to see some light orb effects now and then and then suddenly get a magic happy ending. Where's the logical connections there?
And, the character development didn't get "erased". It is very clear, in your face clear, in fact, that Tomoya remembers everything that happens.
After the happy ending resets everything? Did the anime explicitly state or even imply that?
Oct 24, 2009 4:29 PM

Jun 2008
burntlettuce said:
abhishek14 said:

Sigh, just because it ended the same way the VN did doesn't make it good. It was a very poor ending that completely destroyed the wonderfulness that was before it.
This. You're assuming that "whatever is faithful to the original is good." Disregarding if the original is bad. Or in the most basic sense "whatever is natural is good". Are hurricanes, earthquakes, and floods good?
Oct 24, 2009 7:14 PM

Jun 2009
Episode 24, the recap episode, Tomoya says that he remembers a world where episodes 16 through 21 took place or something along those lines.

And, anyway, between the alternate world and the light orbs I thought to myself "hey, that's got to come into play, there has got to be a reason for it."

I'm done debating the ending, it's obvious no one is gonna change their minds.

- Geralt of Rivia
Oct 24, 2009 10:14 PM
Sep 2007
The main reason I can't find harems enjoyable (excluding Vandread) is the fact that to me personally, in most cases, other male characters are far more interesting, than the main male lead.
But they're treated as trash anyway.

Sunohara is awesome, but he is still being treated by others like trash, by Tomoya, and by those few girls, even if he is more than obvious good guy with a few mischievous habits.
Oct 24, 2009 10:16 PM

Apr 2007
Sunohara should be the main character
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 29, 2009 1:01 PM
Aug 2009
I've yet to complete the series, but I really didn't like the Fuuko arch.

But after watching the Kotomi arch I really like this show :3
Oct 31, 2009 6:38 PM
Sep 2007
Finished Sunohara arc (I think). Now show can only be a bigger garbage than it already is. Seriously, does this serie have something against Sunohara?
Oct 31, 2009 6:52 PM

Apr 2009
wow i really dont see how you dont like it I completly loved every ep of both.

I even liked clannad and clannad AS more than air or kanon!

there wasnt even one ep i didnt like both clannad and clannad AS end at ep 22 then there are two specials for each
Oct 31, 2009 7:02 PM

Jun 2008
Asteriks said:
Finished Sunohara arc (I think). Now show can only be a bigger garbage than it already is. Seriously, does this serie have something against Sunohara?
It doesn't. And the Sunohara arc in After Story ended pretty nicely.
Oct 31, 2009 7:06 PM

Aug 2009
No. We get fans, and we get haters. If you didn't like it, you're classified as a hater. If you really liked it, you're classified as a fan.
Oct 31, 2009 7:13 PM
Sep 2007
Asteriks said:
Sunohara is awesome, but he is still being treated by others like trash, by Tomoya, and by those few girls, even if he is more than obvious good guy with a few mischievous habits.
Nov 3, 2009 8:31 PM

Nov 2009
I'm just watching it too, and while I do think Sunohara is a bit abused, I wouldn't at all say this show is garbage.

I disliked The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, negima, and a few other "harem" shows but so far am loving clannad. It has a few obvious stereotypes but IMO they're very well done.
Nov 19, 2009 3:27 PM
Nov 2009
this is sooooo boring :(
Nov 20, 2009 4:07 AM

Mar 2009
I have to agree .. clannad first season is too boring .. fuko arc took forever to end .. and it wasn't balanced very well .. some character didn't really get their chance .. plus it wasn't really funny ..

Nov 22, 2009 5:37 PM

Sep 2008
I dropped Clannad 5 times. Seriously. It took me one and a half years to get past the first 9 episodes and I hated the anime with a passion. I still forced myself to watch through it and now you can go check my top 5 to find Clannad After Story there. This anime is at it's worst in the Fuko arc and I think people should all definitely force their way through it. Just saying this for people who think they want to drop the anime early on. Don't do it.

LostHanyou said:
I disliked The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, negima, and a few other "harem" shows but so far am loving clannad. It has a few obvious stereotypes but IMO they're very well done.
Since when is Haruhi a harem anime. lol
Nov 28, 2009 7:35 PM

Jun 2009
Yeah, Haruhi is most definitely not a harem anime.

- Geralt of Rivia
Nov 28, 2009 7:41 PM

Oct 2009
meh not letting me quote

@5layer
i keep doing the same, forcing myself to watch an ep, then getting so bored i dont watch another for ages. does it get good after the first arc then? i much prefer kanon so far
Nov 29, 2009 12:24 PM
Nov 2009
Psajdak said:

Sunohara does take too much shit, especially from his supposed friend Tomoya. I think he's too wrapped up in Nagisa and the other girls and leaving Sunohara in the dust. He does act perverted and idiotic on occasion, but I can see that he has a genuine concern for Tomoya and Nagisa. (even if it is to get in her pants...)

Onimal said:
I've yet to complete the series, but I really didn't like the Fuuko arch.
But after watching the Kotomi arch I really like this show :3

Agreed, the Fuko arc was tedious, and it didn't quite make any sense until the end. Well, it still doesn't make sense to me; either Fuko has psychokinesis-like capabilities, or it was all a figment of the characters' imagination. Overall, not the worst thing I've seen.

And yeah, I like Kotomi for some reason. Maybe I just have an attachment to "odd" characters.
Nov 30, 2009 6:33 AM

Jun 2009
Is the VN any better?
Nov 30, 2009 8:39 AM

Jun 2009
I think it's pretty obvious that, if you don't like the anime, you won't like the VN. But, I suppose the VN would be better for someone who prefers the other girls to Nagisa.

- Geralt of Rivia
Dec 8, 2009 7:07 PM

Jan 2009
Oh yeah, if you don't want Nagisa - this is your perfect solution. And you can get rid of her pretty easy, too xD

lol. Yes, I'm a Nagisa hater and I still adore this show. Your reasons not to like this are unbelievable, I enjoyed every episode and I hated almost every episode with Nagisa in it. But let's call it a balance. Or maybe even some really strange kind of perfection.

What's with all the hate for the Fuuko arc ;O lol, the AS ending is the one who should take all the hate because it literally laughed at all the tears I shed but whatever. Still love this show. Still crying whenever I watch an episode with Ushio /besides the last one/. It's been an year and I can't even think of any other anime to be in my first place. Oh, I'm just a fangirl. Not thinking clearly but yes, I think, I really think it's worth it.

Oh, and excuse me but Tomoya is nothing like your cliche harem protagonist. That guy is maybe one of the coolest male anime characters ever. What nonsence >_< Noone should comment someone's personality unless he watches the whole thing. Or if he has strange taste like me :P But Tomoya is everything but cliche, boring, flat and everything that nowadays harem protagonists are.

The main reason I can't find harems enjoyable (excluding Vandread) is the fact that to me personally, in most cases, other male characters are far more interesting, than the main male lead.

Well I don't see the problem here? Sunohara is awesome but he's there for the fun. They are both awesome guys, it's just that their roles are set up and I can't even imagine replacing them.

Btw, in the VN, Sunohara plays major role In Kyou's route /omggg, drool/ . In the OVA they didn't quite show it, but if you play it, you can see that he's not there just to play dumb. :)

Talking about OVAs... I'm not satisfied with Kyou's... xD Dunno about Tomoyo's... She dumped me about a gadjilion times so I didn't complete her route D: I have Kyou, who needs Tomoyo anyway, lol
Nao-staniDec 8, 2009 7:35 PM
Dec 15, 2009 8:09 AM

Dec 2008
Half of this anime is useless IMO, it should have been like just 13 episodes and cut crap like that Fuko character which just doesn't fit in this anime.
Dec 15, 2009 12:42 PM
Jan 2008
Talvi said:
Half of this anime is useless IMO, it should have been like just 13 episodes and cut crap like that Fuko character which just doesn't fit in this anime.

I agree. Personally I enjoyed Clannad the movie much more than I did the series (both Clannad and After Story) for the very reasons you mentioned. Most of the "fat" was cut and a lot of the "comic relief" was cut as well.
Dec 15, 2009 2:06 PM

Aug 2009
Clannad is definitely a slow-moving show. Watch more episodes because it definitely gets better. If you still don't like it, then maybe these types of animes just aren't for you.
Dec 15, 2009 3:15 PM
Jan 2008
AceOfSpades24 said:
Clannad is definitely a slow-moving show. Watch more episodes because it definitely gets better. If you still don't like it, then maybe these types of animes just aren't for you.

I watched many episodes, personally I think it was the comedy in the anime, something about it just didn't work for me. (I did like After Story much more though, all except the ending). Personally it didn't even seem like Clannad was necessary to enjoy After Story.

No disrespect intended (and if I come off this way I am deeply sorry) but what types of animes are you referring to?
Dec 15, 2009 4:11 PM

Aug 2009
cancan31 said:
AceOfSpades24 said:

I watched many episodes, personally I think it was the comedy in the anime, something about it just didn't work for me. (I did like After Story much more though, all except the ending). Personally it didn't even seem like Clannad was necessary to enjoy After Story.

No disrespect intended (and if I come off this way I am deeply sorry) but what types of animes are you referring to?

Comedy-dramas like Clannad, Kanon, etc.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Clannad Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nodoka-koi - Nov 29, 2007

443 by Creepyy »»
Yesterday, 4:16 PM

Poll: » Clannad Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

nodoka-koi - Nov 22, 2007

193 by Creepyy »»
Yesterday, 3:27 PM

Poll: » Clannad Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

cyruz - Oct 5, 2007

273 by D-A-W »»
Apr 19, 7:58 PM

Poll: » Clannad Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

cyruz - Oct 12, 2007

192 by Creepyy »»
Apr 19, 5:26 PM

Poll: » Clannad Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Awesmoe - Mar 28, 2008

349 by EM1LL3US »»
Apr 10, 1:08 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.