New
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jul 18, 2015 2:42 AM

Jan 2015
Can someone be a shut-out?
Twitter and it's consequences had been a disaster for the human race
Jul 18, 2015 2:52 AM

Nov 2013
I have to work, but other than that I don't really go out much. Plus, Its 100+ degrees out where I live for half of every year so I have no concerns. Being a complete shut in is unhealthy.. Having very few or no friends is not. At least force yourself to not be a NEET haha.
Jul 18, 2015 3:14 AM
Dec 2014
You die if you work.
Jul 18, 2015 7:34 AM

Nov 2011
Well, I was somewhat a shut-in before I got a job, staying at home playing video games and watching anime all day. After a while, it gets really boring and when you see how other people's live their lives, you won't like it, there will be sense of jealously and anger.

There's no future for shut-in unless you know shit and can be productive even while staying locked up in there.

Before you think about being a shut-in, think about your life, what have you been born into this world for? What kind of ending do you want for your life?

Jul 18, 2015 2:52 PM

Oct 2014
Well, you are not gonna suddenly get transported into a fantasy world and get a harem of warrior girls, so its kind of pointless being a shut-in unless you want to play games and watch anime 7/24.
Jul 18, 2015 8:20 PM

Apr 2014
I legitimately want to know how to do this too without being a leech off of my parents.
Like seriously think about that, if you work full time or even if its almost full time thats 8hours a day or 30-40hrs a week your getting back. You know how much you can do with 40 extra hours a week?! You could learn fucking college level information just from google all free, you could learn what ever hobby you have as in depth as possible, you can stop half assing everything in life and actually have the time to finish things and learn more things and actually enjoy life.
Working makes you fucking depressed, it makes you realize all your leading to is a hole in the ground, your literally wasting your precious time and youth doing tasks that don't matter at all for shit pay more than likely.
Jul 18, 2015 8:44 PM

Aug 2009
If I had enough money to live a comfortable life without leeching off my parents or the government and didn't have to interact with people it would be pretty decent. I'd probly still go outside for jogs, the gym and hanging out occasionally, but if I was so financially well off I didn't have to go to work or school it would be totally awesome. I'd probably spend most of my time alone watching anime, movies t.v series and playing video games. I could write a book, pick up martial arts and pursue my other hobbies. I always thought mountain climbing was pretty cool, I'd love to try that. I don't see the big problem.

If you're talking about the straight up don't want to talk to any people or they can't leave their room out of fear and have involuntarily chosen the life, because of their mental condition that's a different story. This is a pretty widespread problem in Japan and I feel pretty bad for these guys. I'm sure they'd like nothing more than to interact with people and have a family and kids and stuff, but I imagine they've either been constantly rejected or they find the social pressure too great and just give up.

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Jul 18, 2015 11:34 PM

Jan 2015
I have been a shut in these three months due to waiting for college.
I just graduated from high school
all I have been doing these months is only playing my computer
I still go outside though, running some errands given by parents.
but I rarely see my friends these months, I dont socialize enough these past 3 months.
I'm SO introverted (even family is often mad about me being so quiet, sometimes forcing me to talk), but not being social and doing nothing are SURPRISINGLY excruciating for me.

I used to think being a shut in is a good idea, doing internet, playing games, etc.
but what have happened these months have made me think it's not good enough as it sounds. I really think that I need to "get social and do things"
HumbleBratJul 18, 2015 11:39 PM
Jul 18, 2015 11:46 PM
Jul 2018
You might as well be a shut in. Nothing ever changes even when you are outside anyway.

I did the whole thing. Went to college for two years and nothing. No social life, no girlfriend, no life satisfaction. Not like I didn't try either, I joined clubs and I even volunteered at the local university hospital and had a part time job at Admissions. I was there but it was like I really wasn't.

I got nothing back from all of that. Dropped out and now I'm a shut in only watching anime every day. If you're invisible anyway no one is going to even notice if you never go outside, you'll always be alone and worthless.
Jul 19, 2015 4:24 AM

Jun 2015
RedTie47 said:
If you're invisible anyway no one is going to even notice if you never go outside, you'll always be alone and worthless.

This is so true...
Jul 19, 2015 4:44 AM

Oct 2013
I'd pity you if you really were born in 1987
"There's no shame in falling down... true shame is to not stand up again!"

"Aah? Of course I won't miss!"

"My blood tastes like Iron."

"Run through the tape in life! Never give up! Run through the tape!"
Jul 19, 2015 2:28 PM

Jun 2014
Currently I live at home and go to community college. I'm going to become an elementary school teacher though so while I won't be a shut in during the school year I can do so during the summer.
Jul 19, 2015 9:53 PM

Sep 2010
luuuul, dont be a shut in, ive been a shut in for two months do to serious injury, and when i first went outside, last week i was scared of everything, though my life was in danger, still think that way, do u really think its worth it, and yes im a a burden to my parents, but hopefully ill go back to be a productive member of society soon,
Jul 20, 2015 2:20 AM
May 2009
I need something more interesting in the outside world around me, otherwise I would not even be tempted to leave on the weekends.
Jul 20, 2015 4:18 AM

Apr 2013
html said:
Being a shut-in takes dedication. Better quit now if you're just gonna pussy out.
Jul 20, 2015 4:23 AM

Mar 2015
Daniel-Kami said:
So I am curious being a shut in means you don't leave your house for months right? So how do you have money for anime, food, and rent. Are shut ins just bums who live off of there parents, do some have online jobs? I am curious because I am planning my post high school life right now, and being a shut-in sounds like a fun occupation, but I am not sure how to start.
Beeing a shut in definitly is not fun believe me
Jul 20, 2015 7:18 AM
Apr 2013
jimbobyoo said:
I legitimately want to know how to do this too without being a leech off of my parents.
Like seriously think about that, if you work full time or even if its almost full time thats 8hours a day or 30-40hrs a week your getting back. You know how much you can do with 40 extra hours a week?! You could learn fucking college level information just from google all free, you could learn what ever hobby you have as in depth as possible, you can stop half assing everything in life and actually have the time to finish things and learn more things and actually enjoy life.
Working makes you fucking depressed, it makes you realize all your leading to is a hole in the ground, your literally wasting your precious time and youth doing tasks that don't matter at all for shit pay more than likely.

this
Jul 20, 2015 10:07 AM

Sep 2014
You are naive, kid.

Our lifestyle is not funny, it is depressing.
Jul 20, 2015 10:12 AM

Jan 2013
Karadzic said:
Can someone be a shut-out?

The homeless.

Also being a shut-in is pretty shit.
Nov 25, 2016 10:39 PM
Nov 2016
I've been shut in for periods of my life since highschool. Then before college after a job. Then later started staying in my room at college due to pressures and lack of how to break them. Then for the past 3 summer sometimes into fall. Its not all that fun. I have help from drs and have a learning disability and have a hard time getting over stuff that other people say doesn't need attention. Like my emotions and other peoples feelings on a matter. Its almost like trying not to be like a Darth Vader when dealing w issues like this. Anyway everything will get harder without help or some type of connection. I agree w others that a lot of people don't actively choose to be shut ins and kind of sink into it by pressures and slowly not being able to handle society as well. Or possibly being bullied.
Nov 27, 2016 12:10 AM

May 2015
Lo-Lo4 said:
I've been shut in for periods of my life since highschool. Then before college after a job. Then later started staying in my room at college due to pressures and lack of how to break them. Then for the past 3 summer sometimes into fall. Its not all that fun. I have help from drs and have a learning disability and have a hard time getting over stuff that other people say doesn't need attention. Like my emotions and other peoples feelings on a matter. Its almost like trying not to be like a Darth Vader when dealing w issues like this. Anyway everything will get harder without help or some type of connection. I agree w others that a lot of people don't actively choose to be shut ins and kind of sink into it by pressures and slowly not being able to handle society as well. Or possibly being bullied.

How do you overcome being a shut-in? How does the process work?
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Nov 27, 2016 2:34 AM

Aug 2016
Being a shut in means you will be conforming to the lowest possible point of degeneracy. Not only mooching off your parents for money and a place to live, but constantly avoiding them and any other living thing. Pissing in bottles and not showering for days, are you sure you're ready to live the life of pure scum OP?
Nov 27, 2016 3:13 AM

Dec 2009
There's a stark contrast between hikikomori shut-in hermits and simple NEETs. To hide away from the world you gotta live off social media, so in the end you aren't really avoiding people usually. That is unless you're a website builder or programmer or something to that effect.

Being a NEET means someone has to nurture your existence, or you fall in with whatever street gangs are around, be them decent guys or a bunch of scumbags.

Not everyone's cut out for the world, not everyone can figure out what they're doing... Some people have poor personal circumstances or depression in which they must fight in order to be self-sufficient. A lot of people like this get pushed aside, even by their families, who think they're just lazy-asses when they're honestly troubled.

If you want to be self sufficient without leaving your residence, you're gonna have to find an online job.
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
Nov 27, 2016 11:53 AM

Nov 2016
Doesn't shut ins generally suffer from huge social anxiety and/or other mental problems, which is the reason they "can't" go out?

Purposefully planning to become a shut-in sounds like a bad plan.
"In this world, evil can arise from the best of intentions. And there is good which can come from evil intentions"
Nov 27, 2016 9:44 PM
Nov 2016
TheBrainintheJar said:
Lo-Lo4 said:

How do you overcome being a shut-in? How does the process work?

Having a goal in mind can help, realistic. Not giving up on having dreams though. Having a healthy faith in God and any good things that someone can hope for. Accepting pain as a fact of life that may strengthen you. Accepting good things. Letting things go or work through them and sometimes having humor. Giving yourself and others credit when its due. Like don't resort to peeing in bottle or whatever when there is a bathroom. Have at least some respect toward yourself. (I read that part about the bottle in a post here). That's all more introspective I guess. Being open to giving life a try over and over again even if it feels horrible at the time. As for social- it can get overwhelming. Go out on extensions that are not the same place over and over. Once you get better talk to people in small conversation. It gets easy after a while. The hardest part for me is forgiving some past wrongs that were never my fault anyway. And giving myself credit for everything good I've done and can do. Others who are true friends and good at heart can help too, and the person who is going thru isolating has to give some too at some point for it to help. I don't know if this post was a joke or not but its not easy being by yourself almost all the time when other options can be available.
Nov 27, 2016 10:30 PM

May 2016
It's very interesting to hear about these perspectives of shut-in's. I watched Welcome to the NHK and I think that scared me straight from that lifestyle. To some extent, I can understand the feelings of wanting to shutting society out.

Overall, I don't think that's a good idea but it's really up to you in what you want to do.
Nov 27, 2016 11:11 PM

May 2015
FestivalsOfComfy said:
It's very interesting to hear about these perspectives of shut-in's. I watched Welcome to the NHK and I think that scared me straight from that lifestyle. To some extent, I can understand the feelings of wanting to shutting society out.

Overall, I don't think that's a good idea but it's really up to you in what you want to do.

Oh boy, that anime was terrible and cared nothing for the perspective of the shut-in. It's making light of a serious issue.
Nov 28, 2016 5:40 AM

Dec 2009
TheBrainintheJar said:
FestivalsOfComfy said:

Oh boy, that anime was terrible and cared nothing for the perspective of the shut-in. It's making light of a serious issue.

I haven't seen that anime, but yeah there's a lot that make light of the issue. I know i've seen ones that take it seriously, but i can't think of them off the top of my head.

Nov 28, 2016 3:17 PM

May 2016
TheBrainintheJar said:
FestivalsOfComfy said:

Oh, I see. Sorry, it's been so long since I've watched that anime so I can't remember much. Can you expand your point on what it made light of on the issue?
Nov 28, 2016 6:01 PM

Sep 2007
I tried being a shut-in, but it was too much work, so I gave up.

Nov 29, 2016 2:50 PM

Jun 2016
Yea, I've been there before. You don't wanna do that :p
Nov 30, 2016 1:01 AM

May 2015
FestivalsOfComfy said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

Oh, I see. Sorry, it's been so long since I've watched that anime so I can't remember much. Can you expand your point on what it made light of on the issue?

There's never a moment where we understand the rationality of the shut-in, how the world looks like from his perspective. When we do, it's using cute characters to exaggerate how silly it is - look at how this idiot thinks the world is hostile, when in fact it isn't!

Compare it to WataMote, which is far darker. When Tomoko is worried, we see a shopping list of her worries in a way that doesn't make it look silly, but real. She has a lot of fears, all of which can actually come true.

GenesisAria said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

I haven't seen that anime, but yeah there's a lot that make light of the issue. I know i've seen ones that take it seriously, but i can't think of them off the top of my head.

WataMote does it right. It's also comedy, but it doesn't think social anxiety is an easy issue to deal with. It uses comedy to face the darkness. Tomoko's pain is apparent and we're meant to sympathize with her, not mock her.
Nov 30, 2016 1:21 PM

Dec 2009
TheBrainintheJar said:
GenesisAria said:

WataMote does it right. It's also comedy, but it doesn't think social anxiety is an easy issue to deal with. It uses comedy to face the darkness. Tomoko's pain is apparent and we're meant to sympathize with her, not mock her.

Ehh, i don't quite know about THAT, Tomoko is the cringiest fukken retard ever lol.

Dec 1, 2016 1:44 PM

May 2015
GenesisAria said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

Ehh, i don't quite know about THAT, Tomoko is the cringiest fukken retard ever lol.

'Retard' isn't the right term. She just has a bad case of social anxiety and we see its pain, not just the quirks.
Dec 1, 2016 6:08 PM

Dec 2009
@TheBrainintheJar
She is totally a retard. If she didn't have social retardadion, she would have learned to fit in by now. Look up the definition of that word XD

Dec 2, 2016 1:18 AM

May 2015
GenesisAria said:
@TheBrainintheJar
She is totally a retard. If she didn't have social retardadion, she would have learned to fit in by now. Look up the definition of that word XD

A 'social retard' is just a vulgar name for extreme social anxiety.
Dec 2, 2016 2:34 AM

Dec 2009
TheBrainintheJar said:
GenesisAria said:
@TheBrainintheJar

You don't have to have anxiety to be charismatically inept.

Dec 2, 2016 3:42 AM

Jun 2016
TheBrainintheJar said:
GenesisAria said:
@TheBrainintheJar

Actually last time I checked "social retard" is what they call autistic people, but both are highly ignorant and offensive ...
Dec 2, 2016 2:25 PM

Jun 2014
I am pretty much one. I have to keep my door shut at all times because the cats pee in my room all the time and my dad requires me to keep it closed for that reason. It sucks because I spend most of my time in my room and I feel like keeping it closed just isolates me from the rest of the world.
Dec 2, 2016 6:36 PM

Nov 2014
It's cool to find people to hang out with at events, expos, anime conventions and stuff, but its equally as cool to roam around on your own and observe.
Dec 2, 2016 11:52 PM

May 2015
Otaku-Gunso said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

Actually last time I checked "social retard" is what they call autistic people, but both are highly ignorant and offensive ...

It's a term with more negative connotation, its purpose is more to insult rather than point out someone has a difficulty. Call me politically correct, but I wouldn't throw it carelessly around.
Dec 5, 2016 2:36 PM

Jun 2016
TheBrainintheJar said:
Otaku-Gunso said:

It's a term with more negative connotation, its purpose is more to insult rather than point out someone has a difficulty. Call me politically correct, but I wouldn't throw it carelessly around.

Yea, it definitely cuts deep. Dunno about anyone else but I've been called a social retard once before.
Dec 5, 2016 3:58 PM

Aug 2011
I've been a shut-in ever since I graduated high school three and a half years ago. I live with my parents, and they take care of my needs...
Dec 5, 2016 6:26 PM
Jul 2018
I've been a shut-in for over half a decade, and it's something everyone should avoid. I've had times where I haven't left the house for months on end, and times where I've been away from home for months on end, but overall I don't have anything to work towards that gets me out of the house, and finding the motivation for schooling (either college or finishing the high school qualifications I missed out on) is extremely difficult.

I'm sure most men could remain sane as hermits even with little human contact if they spent time exercising, had a good diet, and spent time in nature - unless you have an income you earn at home, however, it's not feasible in the long run.
Dec 5, 2016 10:10 PM

May 2015
Faederwulf said:
I've been a shut-in for over half a decade, and it's something everyone should avoid. I've had times where I haven't left the house for months on end, and times where I've been away from home for months on end, but overall I don't have anything to work towards that gets me out of the house, and finding the motivation for schooling (either college or finishing the high school qualifications I missed out on) is extremely difficult.

I'm sure most men could remain sane as hermits even with little human contact if they spent time exercising, had a good diet, and spent time in nature - unless you have an income you earn at home, however, it's not feasible in the long run.

If you spend time in nature, you're not really a shut-in. It's not just the lack of contact that drives people crazy, but long stays in an enclosed space.
Dec 6, 2016 4:52 AM
Jul 2018
TheBrainintheJar said:
Faederwulf said:

If you spend time in nature, you're not really a shut-in. It's not just the lack of contact that drives people crazy, but long stays in an enclosed space.

Hence why in the second section I used the word "hermit". As for being a shut-in, however, it's very much like being a prisoner to your own will. Just like prison, the main things that drive people insane are the enclosed spaces and lack of contact, as you say. The fact that you're technically just as free as any other person only serves to mock you. The major difference is that prisons are usually guaranteed to be rough environments, although one benefit of this is that the forced socialisation would make it easier to maintain social skills.

Dec 7, 2016 2:19 AM

May 2015
Yachty said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

That is very, very wrong. you can be confident/have no anxiety and still be a social retard. there's people I know that are uncourteous, lacks social awareness and do weird, socially unacceptable shit but does so with confidence. everyone avoids him and the worst thing is he doesnt know what hes done wrong due to his said 'confidence'. So no, anxiety and social retardation is not the same thing.

Your description reminds me of this person I know who's awful at social interactions, yet does it with confidence. He does things I wouldn't dare to.

You're right. I got the two mixed up. They're not the same.
Dec 7, 2016 2:28 AM

Jun 2014
Yachty said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

That is very, very wrong. you can be confident/have no anxiety and still be a social retard. there's people I know that are uncourteous, lacks social awareness and do weird, socially unacceptable shit but does so with confidence. everyone avoids him and the worst thing is he doesnt know what hes done wrong due to his said 'confidence'. So no, anxiety and social retardation is not the same thing.

Maybe somebody should help them and talk to them?
Dec 7, 2016 2:33 AM

May 2015
Faederwulf said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

Hence why in the second section I used the word "hermit". As for being a shut-in, however, it's very much like being a prisoner to your own will. Just like prison, the main things that drive people insane are the enclosed spaces and lack of contact, as you say. The fact that you're technically just as free as any other person only serves to mock you. The major difference is that prisons are usually guaranteed to be rough environments, although one benefit of this is that the forced socialisation would make it easier to maintain social skills.

I know that isolation chambers are considered some of the worst forms of torture, and they're never big places where nobody happens to be. They're always small.

I know some people develop fear of open spaces. I wonder how it happens, considering we seem to naturally fear enclosed spaces.
Dec 7, 2016 2:39 AM

Jun 2014
Yachty said:
Kagami said:
Maybe somebody should help them and talk to them?
most of his terrible social interaction skills is due to his personality (loud, obnoxious, inconsiderate), its something i cant teach unfortunately

Tell me what he does? Color me curious, haha.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» Do you celebrate your Birthday

ST63LTH - Yesterday

23 by chocomayu »»
1 minute ago

» can you tolerate spicy food?

removed-user - Mar 31

40 by LoveYourEyes »»
21 minutes ago

» Proper way to reply to profile comments?

Rokumi - Sep 7, 2014

40 by Kuldeep2 »»
44 minutes ago

» Have you ever put someone on the 'Ignored Users' list?

Thy-Veseveia - 7 hours ago

9 by SnipeStrike »»
1 hour ago

» What age range do you find the most physically attractive?

Ejrodiew - Apr 11

40 by Driz »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.