Forum Settings
Forums

Kickstarter for Sci-Fi Anime 'Under the Dog' Launched [Update 9/5]

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »
Aug 13, 2014 5:03 AM

Jan 2013
Tommk said:
PrOxAnto said:

Going strong so far!
130K in 5 days !

Pretty sure the first goal will easily be reached.
Just hope they get enough sponsors and funding for a potential 24 / 26 episode series.

Nope, their plan is to make it into a trilogy :D which ain't half bad nor dragged out

Yeah just read it ... trilogy film wouldnt be bad at all!
So excited though :)
Aug 13, 2014 10:44 PM
Dec 2013
Dropped my contribution as well. The team behind this is top notch and I know we can expect great things from them.
Aug 13, 2014 10:56 PM

Sep 2011
I kind of have a niggling feeling like this project is gonna fall just short of their goal. I'll watch this if it does go through but i just doubt it will.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Aug 14, 2014 7:23 PM
Mar 2009
Wow, this is a rare sight, an anime project in Kickstarter.

Although the premise sounds dumb. Like the UN will ever have the capability or competency to accomplish assassination squads. Hahahaha, okay.

And the character designer is the guy that made some of those god awful Awakening costumes? (Think Olivia).

At least the soundtrack sounds pretty damn good from that PV.
Aug 15, 2014 6:11 AM

Jan 2009
DarkMorpher said:
From their Project update page

So what about Little Witch Academia and Kick Heart?

Well, 1) Check the animation. Waaaaaay different production values here.

Really bad communication.
Aug 15, 2014 6:17 AM

Mar 2014
Okiura said:
DarkMorpher said:
From their Project update page

So what about Little Witch Academia and Kick Heart?

Well, 1) Check the animation. Waaaaaay different production values here.

what do you mean?
"Fuck this shit, fun things are fun!"
Aug 15, 2014 8:51 AM

Sep 2011
Yeah it looks like this will probably fail to meet its funding from the looks of it. Even one of their updates make it sound pretty aware how slim their chances are looking(the one where they are talking about the graphs)

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Aug 15, 2014 9:26 AM

Jan 2009
StardustNyako said:
Okiura said:

what do you mean?

From the part of those in charge to promote this project.
Charging Kickheart and LWA is unproductive. The phrasing seems unprofessional too.
The project is promising but they need better communication/marketing than this imo.
Aug 15, 2014 12:23 PM

Apr 2013
backing this. The team working on it is excellent, the premise is fairly interesting, and if it does get funded they'll probably do a full show using the more traditional methods of funding.

Plus, if more anime gets successfully developed on Kickstarter and other crowdfunding sites, the industry will likely begin to shift towards a more buyer-friendly environment for anime fans. And by this I mean we won't need to pay $200+ for entire box sets of half a season when all we really want is the bluray. -_-
Aug 15, 2014 12:25 PM

Sep 2011
@Okiura: You mean they should've phrased sit somewhere along the lines of "We simply have different production values compared to Kickheart and LWA" instead of "Looks at our animation, and look at theirs for comparison"?

If that's what you mean, then I can definitely see what you're getting at (even if I'm willing to back this project).
Aug 15, 2014 1:08 PM

Mar 2014
ArbiterofWhim said:
backing this. The team working on it is excellent, the premise is fairly interesting, and if it does get funded they'll probably do a full show using the more traditional methods of funding.

Plus, if more anime gets successfully developed on Kickstarter and other crowdfunding sites, the industry will likely begin to shift towards a more buyer-friendly environment for anime fans. And by this I mean we won't need to pay $200+ for entire box sets of half a season when all we really want is the bluray. -_-

They won't go to the more traditional funding methods because for that they must loose their creative fredom and they've expressed clearly how important that is to them.
Aug 15, 2014 1:17 PM

Jan 2009
ronri said:
@Okiura: You mean they should've phrased sit somewhere along the lines of "We simply have different production values compared to Kickheart and LWA" instead of "Looks at our animation, and look at theirs for comparison"?

Project Page
"If they were doing 24 minutes then their budget would have been ~$300k which is not a far cry from what we are doing here given the differences in animation effort"

Their suggestion that KH and LWA have lower production value and animation effort is pointless and counterproductive, because these two are well animated "sakuga" works and UTD is not even funded yet. The comparison should have ended at budget and duration.
OkiuraAug 15, 2014 1:22 PM
Aug 15, 2014 3:08 PM

Sep 2011
Too much violence in JUST the PV. That kind of violence really downplays values such as human judgment and scale...
"Justice Never Dies!" - Kenji Endou, 20th century Boys
Aug 16, 2014 1:23 AM

Mar 2013
I was impressed at the quick jump to 160k, but it seems to have cooled off.

I doubt it will get funded. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see it pull through, but 500k for ~20 minutes? Fuck that.

GodlyKyon said:
Too much violence in JUST the PV. That kind of violence really downplays values such as human judgment and scale...

Go watch your moe shit pleb
[size=200]MAL AVATAR SYSTEM BLOWS
Aug 16, 2014 4:48 AM

Sep 2011
Okiura said:

Project Page
"If they were doing 24 minutes then their budget would have been ~$300k which is not a far cry from what we are doing here given the differences in animation effort"

Their suggestion that KH and LWA have lower production value and animation effort is pointless and counterproductive, because these two are well animated "sakuga" works and UTD is not even funded yet. The comparison should have ended at budget and duration.

I think the point about bringing up KH and LWA came from people constantly asking them why their Kickstarter has a higher goal than the other two. From that point, it makes sense why they'd bring it up to be able to justify their costs. Rather the suggestion of "looking" at the animation of LWA and KH as means of judging their production values is definitely misguided and I agree with you in that regard. I mean this is essentially an indulgence on sakuga as well anyway (just with a higher budget), so putting it that way sounds really unprofessional.

Still backing this of course since I love the director's work and the sakuga in the PV here seems to match the quality in Sword of the Stranger and CANAAN, both of which I was very fond of. But yeah, they definitely need a better PR or editor for these updates.
Aug 16, 2014 5:10 AM

Mar 2014
I dunno, asside from that snip bit, he seems really enthusiastic/passionate about his pitch.

(Kickstarts are supposed to seem proffesional? Hmm, that may be truewith this kind of ambitious project especially)

I'vedecided I'll only back this up if they meet and pass their first goal and are funding for their secondgoal of a movie, since I would believe in that way more than one ep. Sorry but for the plot theyput out, an "exploration/ eye candy preddy episode just won't cut it)
Aug 16, 2014 5:17 AM

Sep 2011
StardustNyako said:
I dunno, asside from that snip bit, he seems really enthusiastic/passionate about his pitch.

(Kickstarts are supposed to seem proffesional? Hmm, that may be truewith this kind of ambitious project especially)

I'vedecided I'll only back this up if they meet and pass their first goal and are funding for their secondgoal of a movie, since I would believe in that way more than one ep. Sorry but for the plot theyput out, an "exploration/ eye candy preddy episode just won't cut it)
they more than likley wont even make it to their minimum goal let alone working towards a movie

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Aug 16, 2014 10:36 PM

Sep 2011
DerpHole said:
I was impressed at the quick jump to 160k, but it seems to have cooled off.

I doubt it will get funded. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see it pull through, but 500k for ~20 minutes? Fuck that.

GodlyKyon said:

Go watch your moe shit pleb

It's always funny when you do this to people, lol!

Also, you probably got my point wrong: I'm saying that mindlessly slashing down bodies = less impacting when depicting characters are humans. But maybe they will utilize this to make her question what she does?

Anyhow, looks like a mess in themes, a clusterfuck is what this will end up as.
"Justice Never Dies!" - Kenji Endou, 20th century Boys
Aug 16, 2014 10:39 PM

Sep 2011
GodlyKyon said:

Anyhow, looks like a mess in themes, a clusterfuck is what this will end up as.
There is literally so little to base what the themes of this series are even gonna be in the trailer let alone the creators even describing the series, themes are something that can only be seen when actually watching a finished product

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Aug 17, 2014 2:48 AM

Sep 2011
GodlyKyon said:

Also, you probably got my point wrong: I'm saying that mindlessly slashing down bodies = less impacting when depicting characters are humans. But maybe they will utilize this to make her question what she does?

I thought that was the point though? It's playing on the trope of brainwashed/hardened killing machines in light of maintaining their humanity in a violent environment. I don't see how the PV contradicts anything that they've laid out for the story so far.
Aug 17, 2014 2:56 AM
Sep 2007
If I knew japanese language, I'd suggest animators to make similar Kickstarter for the entire reboots of GTO series - starting with the Shonan Junai Gumi!, as well as entire reboots of Rurouni Kenshin, and Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou manga.

I think those would be simply masterpieces.
Aug 17, 2014 11:12 AM

Jan 2013
GodlyKyon said:

That's funny ...
It's shown she's pretty much being forced.

I guess you just cant stand "violence" then
Aug 18, 2014 9:47 AM
Jan 2014
$580,000??? i think thats a little bit excessive dont ya think?
Aug 18, 2014 11:25 AM

Oct 2007
Psajdak said:
If I knew japanese language, I'd suggest animators to make similar Kickstarter for the entire reboots of GTO series - starting with the Shonan Junai Gumi!, as well as entire reboots of Rurouni Kenshin, and Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou manga.

I think those would be simply masterpieces.
At bombing hard in the middle of a season, yes.
Aug 19, 2014 11:22 AM

Jan 2013
Wyzdm said:
At the rate they're going I don't think they'll reach their target in time.

Yeah going a bit slow now, should have been close to halfway so far
Aug 19, 2014 5:17 PM

Mar 2014
I think I've caught aa huge quite obvious flaw in this campaign.

They are trying to funfd an anime, but just speaking/ typing in English, no Japanese except the vids.
Aug 19, 2014 6:05 PM

Sep 2011
StardustNyako said:

They are trying to funfd an anime, but just speaking/ typing in English, no Japanese except the vids.
Well kickstarter isnt known in japan, little witch and kick heart both did the same thing and succeeded despite relying entirely on western audiences

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Aug 19, 2014 6:25 PM

Aug 2011
JizzyHitler said:
StardustNyako said:

Well kickstarter isnt known in japan, little witch and kick heart both did the same thing and succeeded despite relying entirely on western audiences

Is there a fairly well-known fundraiser website similar to Kickstarter in Japan? If there is, they could have promoted UtD there as well and gaining more money and faster in the process.
Aug 22, 2014 8:13 PM

Feb 2010
It plausible that they would hit their goal, good luck.
Aug 22, 2014 8:44 PM

Sep 2011
live2win said:
It plausible that they would hit their goal, good luck.
id say its possible but unlikley

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Aug 23, 2014 10:59 PM

Jul 2013
Okay guys we have 2 weeks left with more than half a margin to overcome.
"For the World Is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky"
Aug 24, 2014 1:03 AM
Jan 2013
They said if it reach till there goal, they are going to create a 2 episodes :P
Aug 27, 2014 6:40 AM

Jan 2013
Doesnt seem promising ... with only 11 days to go and not even halfway through their goal :/
Shame really
Aug 27, 2014 6:43 AM

Jul 2014
The trailer looks badass. I really hope they raise enough money for the project.
Aug 27, 2014 10:59 AM

Feb 2011
PrOxAnto said:
Doesnt seem promising ... with only 11 days to go and not even halfway through their goal :/
Shame really

It's half a million dollars. Imo you can't get that much from the fans only. It was a ridiculous sum from the very beginning.
Aug 27, 2014 3:04 PM

Nov 2013
I donated 10 dollars, but it seems it won't reach the goal.

It's a real shame, since this was an opportunity to show that our community still cares about this type of show, but their goal seemed unrealistic, especially for a project that no one heard about before they announced the Kickstarter.

Perhaps if the big anime youtubers like gigguk and arkada had made a video about it, things could have been different.
Aug 27, 2014 6:21 PM

Aug 2014
Looks like this won't make it.

Well I can't say they had me sold from the trailer.

It was Basically,

'Cityscape, Hans Zimmer Soundtrack, Highschool Girls, Edgy text, Guns pew pew pew, Base Jump, BEWBS.'

Didn't really tell me much about the anime itself. I was left thinking "Meh,nice animation".
Aug 27, 2014 6:28 PM

Jan 2013
UnbornMVs said:
PrOxAnto said:
Shame really

It's half a million dollars. Imo you can't get that much from the fans only. It was a ridiculous sum from the very beginning.

They did it with their game
Aug 27, 2014 9:04 PM

Mar 2013
PrOxAnto said:
UnbornMVs said:

Games typically give you more than ~20 minutes worth of entertainment
Aug 27, 2014 9:12 PM

Feb 2011
DerpHole said:
PrOxAnto said:

Games typically give you more than ~20 minutes worth of entertainment

Right but the pledge was 100k. This project reached 100k in a a week too.
Aug 27, 2014 10:54 PM

Apr 2012
I don't have very high expectations of this, especially considering it's a single 24 minute episode.
Aug 27, 2014 11:48 PM
Trickster

Jun 2011
I'd love to see a full series of this. I just wish it didn't cost so much.

I don't think the advertising was very good for it, hence the low amount of money.
Aug 28, 2014 12:12 AM

Apr 2014
kokusho36 said:
I donated 10 dollars, but it seems it won't reach the goal.

It's a real shame, since this was an opportunity to show that our community still cares about this type of show, but their goal seemed unrealistic, especially for a project that no one heard about before they announced the Kickstarter.

Perhaps if the big anime youtubers like gigguk and arkada had made a video about it, things could have been different.

We all do care. It's just not enough to show us it's worth my money. It's different from a BD purchase or merchandise. You know what you're getting then. This we don't. How do we know how things will turn out? It's just simply not worth the risk of our own money. Plus this seems like something that really needs more then one episode. I'd rather they go to a series offer like they said they've had, and produce a 24 episode series with some production committee influence, then just make one episode for half a million dollars with full control. If it was a kickstarter for a whole series, I could see it being different. But one episode? No thanks. I loved the PV, love the concept, but it's not enough for me to throw money at it.
Aug 28, 2014 6:04 AM

Apr 2013
Maybe it would work better if they released the episode first so we could see if we like it, and then launch the kickstarter.
Aug 28, 2014 9:17 AM

Aug 2014
I just backed it on kickstarter, so im expecting this anime to be pretty dam good, or else....... i'll
Aug 28, 2014 1:42 PM

Sep 2011
YumeNoMonogatari said:
Maybe it would work better if they released the episode first so we could see if we like it, and then launch the kickstarter.
I dont know how the hell people cant seem to comprehend the basic idea of this, the point of crowdfunding is to crowd fund money to MAKE SOMETHING, if they made the first episode then they wouldnt need the kickstarter in general

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Aug 28, 2014 3:10 PM

Apr 2014
JizzyHitler said:
YumeNoMonogatari said:
I dont know how the hell people cant seem to comprehend the basic idea of this, the point of crowdfunding is to crowd fund money to MAKE SOMETHING, if they made the first episode then they wouldnt need the kickstarter in general

Because a general populous will not throw money into something if they cannot see benefits from it from doing so. Crowd funding for something is not successful unless the donator can see actual effects of their donations. What I mean by this is if you fund a cause say cancer, you know your money is going into medical equipment, prevention and treatment for said cause. With this, we don't have any tangible evidence to go on. We only have a trailer episode of a show that hasn't even started production. You can't expect people to help you make something without some kind of proof of work. A trailer that tells me nothing about the show is not a proof of work. This is completely different from a PV of a show that's coming out soon. This trailer is supposed to make me want to help make it. It doesn't. Whereas an actual episode will show me things. It will show me the voice acting, the characters, the story beginnings. It will be an actual proof of work. An actual incentive to want to spend money for them to produce more.

Not to mention funding for one episode is ludicrous. We get one episode.... then what? Do we start another kickstarter for episode 2? 3? Half a million dollars per episode, even in the animation world, is waaaay too much money. Especially since a large portion of that money isn't even going towards the show, but to backer rewards.
Aug 29, 2014 2:45 PM

Mar 2013
8 days left and 306/560 funded

Unless Bill Gates takes a liking to anime and develops good taste within a week I don't think this will be funded.
Aug 30, 2014 12:09 AM

Jul 2014
This is a good opportunity to show japan that we as anime fans still care about good anime although asking for $580K is a bit too much but after reading the whole things and the video then it's pretty understandable. I hope it get funded properly, The animation and soundtracks catch my attention. Looking forward on this and please dont fail :C

Sep 1, 2014 10:06 PM

Sep 2011
Some updates were posted:

Digital Offering

The first is the announcement that we will be allowing all backers of the $20 tier and higher to have digital access to any future Under the Dog animations.

This means if we only meet the base goal of this KS campaign but go on to create our trilogy of films at some later time then you, the backers, will have access to download those for your original $20 or more contribution to this campaign!

Anthea and Her Power Suit

Kozaki-san wanted to do a slight modification and redesign of Anthea in her power suit and this is the result.

The power suit integrates with Anthea's trike, helmet, and rifle for targeting assistance, navigation, and mechanical stats as well as offering her information about her surroundings. The power suit can also transfer charge to any of these devices and is also designed to provide Anthea with additional strength, reflexes, and armor.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »

More topics from this board

» GoHands Produces Original TV Anime 'Momentary Lily' for Winter 2025

DatRandomDude - 7 hours ago

10 by Calal-Chan »»
8 minutes ago

» Manga 'Senpai ga Uzai Kouhai no Hanashi' Ends with 13th Volume

Hyperion_PS - 4 hours ago

6 by DrHizzle »»
1 hour ago

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - Apr 24

5 by Kushna »»
7 hours ago

» 'Code Geass: Dakkan no Rozé' Announces Additional Cast

DatRandomDude - Apr 10

17 by animegamer245 »»
9 hours ago

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Apr 23

31 by animegamer245 »»
11 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.