Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 15, 2009 2:38 PM

Mar 2008
Is there a way to block Ads using Google Chrome?

(Don't suggest to use other browsers, I really don't wanna go back to the likes of Opera or Firefox, they crash alot on me and drain my CPU like crazy.)

My Anime List | My Video Game Collection

Discord ID: KidRyan89 | Telegram ID: KidRyan
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Oct 15, 2009 2:54 PM
Forever Fearless

Apr 2007
I use Fire Fox's add blocker add-on. Works like a charm. :D
Speed is Life - 1st ID... patch on my shoulder.

Oct 15, 2009 3:00 PM

Dec 2007
tesiga2003 said:

That wasn't the question though.

Baby_Naruto, Chrome should block ads by default, or at least attempt to do so. I don't know if it makes much sense though, that chrome blocks ads while the browser is sending the computer's usage data to the google servers for more specific advertisement. Even though you asked for us not to suggest a different browser, I'd still like to mention Ironware's version of Chrome. It has all regular Chrome has minus the usage tracker part.
Oct 15, 2009 3:03 PM

Mar 2008
tesiga2003 said:

I just said I don't use Firefox and will never use it lol.....

Chavez said:
tesiga2003 said:

Baby_Naruto, Chrome should block ads by default, or at least attempt to do so. I don't know if it makes much sense though, that chrome blocks ads while the browser is sending the computer's usage data to the google servers for more specific advertisement. Even though you asked for us not to suggest a different browser, I'd still like to mention Ironware's version of Chrome. It has all regular Chrome has minus the usage tracker part.

Where can I d/l Ironware's version of Google Chrome?

By the way, Chrome does not block ads, just some popups (not most/all).

Oct 15, 2009 3:07 PM

Dec 2007
Baby_Naruto said:

I totally got the name wrong, which made it hard to look for. It's SRWare's Iron, you can find it here.
Oct 15, 2009 3:10 PM

Mar 2008
Chavez said:
Baby_Naruto said:

I totally got the name wrong, which made it hard to look for. It's SRWare's Iron, you can find it here.

Thanks. I'll post back here to let you know if it works for me or not.

By the way, I can import all of my Google Chrome bookmarks & faves to SRWare's Iron version right?
KidRyanOct 15, 2009 4:00 PM

Oct 15, 2009 3:12 PM

Dec 2007
Baby_Naruto said:
Chavez said:
Baby_Naruto said:

Thanks. I'll post back here to let you know if it works for me or not.

By the way, I am import all of my Google Chrome bookmarks & faves to SRWare's Iron version right?

It shouldn't be a problem.
Oct 15, 2009 3:13 PM

Oct 2007
FF's ABP outclasses anything other browsers have to offer in this matter, so...
Oct 15, 2009 3:18 PM

Dec 2007
Bere said:

Chavez said:
tesiga2003 said:

Are you guys doing this for a higher post count or something?
Oct 15, 2009 3:29 PM
Forever Fearless

Apr 2007
Baby_Naruto said:
tesiga2003 said:

I just said I don't use Firefox and will never use it lol......

Sorry, i only read the title. >.<

Chavez said:

LOL.................. No...
Tracer_SenpaiOct 15, 2009 3:32 PM

Oct 15, 2009 3:45 PM

Sep 2007
The downsides of switching to Chrome is the lack of add-ons that Firefox has. If you want to have stuff like ABP, suck it up and use Firefox.
Oct 15, 2009 3:54 PM

May 2008
Now I know this is slightly off question, but I would just like note it is kinda asocial to use adblocking scripts. Especially on sites like mal.net which are provided for free and rely purely on the ads. (The only site I really find it acceptable on right now is mangafox (or any illegal (I know its not against the law, but still is kinda shadey) anime/manga provider for that matter), as they are even having an ad campaign right while earning there money on other people's work). Still the point I am trying to make, think about what you're doing when using an adblocker and create your own blacklist of sites, rather than blocking all ads in general.

Aside of all that, there is a ad-block extension for chrome, but extensions only work in the chromium nightlies with the tag --extensions-enable used as a flag. (Its pretty easy for most developers, but I ain't going into the trouble of explaining, especially as these extensions are pre-preview alpha right now (or something like that))
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 15, 2009 3:54 PM
Apr 2009
Edit your hosts file.

Edit:
Just get this: http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
Oct 15, 2009 4:05 PM

Mar 2008
neutralizer said:
The downsides of switching to Chrome is the lack of add-ons that Firefox has. If you want to have stuff like ABP, suck it up and use Firefox.

I will not and can not use Firefox, because I only have 256 MB Physical RAM (DDR1 133/266 PC 2100), my CPU is single core 2.19 GHz (Intel Pentium 4), and my Video Card Ram is 64 MB (Intel Integrated Driver).

Oct 15, 2009 4:08 PM
Forever Fearless

Apr 2007
Baby_Naruto said:
neutralizer said:

I will not and can not use Firefox, because I only have 256 MB Physical RAM (DDR1 133/266 PC 2100), my CPU is single core 2.19 GHz (Intel Pentium 4), and my Video Card Ram is 64 MB (Intel Integrated Driver).

Holy crap, dont you think its upgrade time? 0.o

Oct 15, 2009 4:09 PM

Mar 2008
tesiga2003 said:
Baby_Naruto said:
neutralizer said:

I can't, I don't have any money, I won't have any until Christmas and my Birthday.

Oct 15, 2009 4:10 PM

Oct 2007
Baby_Naruto said:
neutralizer said:

Despite the fact this thing is incredibly outdated anyway, the RAM is totally outweighed comparing to the rest, you should have like 512 if not 1 gig. It you're not planning an upgrade anytime soon, RAM costs nickles.
Oct 15, 2009 4:10 PM
Forever Fearless

Apr 2007
Baby_Naruto said:
tesiga2003 said:
Baby_Naruto said:
neutralizer said:

I can't, I don't have any money, I won't have any until Christmas and my Birthday.

Wow that sucks.

Oct 15, 2009 4:35 PM

Mar 2008
Bere said:
Baby_Naruto said:
neutralizer said:

Despite the fact this thing is incredibly outdated anyway, the RAM is totally outweighed comparing to the rest, you should have like 512 if not 1 gig. It you're not planning an upgrade anytime soon, RAM costs nickles.

I don't have any money, I have to wait until Christmas and my Birthday.

tesiga2003 said:
Baby_Naruto said:
tesiga2003 said:
Baby_Naruto said:
neutralizer said:

Wow that sucks.

Yah, it does suck indeed :(.

Oct 15, 2009 4:56 PM

Dec 2007
Chavez said:
Bere said:

Chavez said:
tesiga2003 said:

You can't deny that you didn't expect to see arguing about Chrome vs FF when you entered this thread though
Oct 15, 2009 5:19 PM

Nov 2007
Baby_Naruto said:
neutralizer said:

Odd. I have 256 ram on my PC and firefox works fine. The only thing is I can't leave it idle or it'll slow down the entire computer. But I use my laptop the majority of the time now for internet usage.
Oct 15, 2009 6:15 PM

Sep 2007
Baby_Naruto said:
neutralizer said:

CPU is plenty fast enough for web browsing. Video card ram has nothing to do with we browsing. 256 MB is plenty to web browse as long as long as you're not running 11ty billion things in the background.
Oct 15, 2009 6:32 PM

Jun 2008
Try uninstalling it then reinstalling it. Sometimes that fixes whatever problem you're having.
I'm back.
Oct 15, 2009 7:28 PM
Jun 2008
1. Download and install Privoxy. It should block most ads.

http://www.privoxy.org/

2. Then go into Chrome's Options (under the spanner icon).
3. Click Under the Hood tab.
4. Click Change proxy settings.
5. Click LAN Settings.
6. Check the Use a proxy server for your LAN.... checkbox
7. Click Advanced.
8. Next to HTTP, enter 127.0.0.1, in the port field 8118.
9. Ads should now be blocked.
Oct 15, 2009 8:54 PM

Aug 2007
Chavez said:
Bere said:

Chavez said:
tesiga2003 said:

It's MAL. :|

What Chavez said is good.

And @ Baby Naruto: FF should be fine with your current PC so long as you don't have like 50 tabs open. Also, half a gig of RAM can be gotten for... ~fifteen bucks. Seriously. If you don't have $15 at the age of 20, I don't know what to say.

Felli disapproves of this thread.
Oct 15, 2009 10:26 PM

Mar 2008
feder said:
Baby_Naruto said:
neutralizer said:

Odd. I have 256 ram on my PC and firefox works fine. The only thing is I can't leave it idle or it'll slow down the entire computer. But I use my laptop the majority of the time now for internet usage.

I do leave it idle, alot, especially if I'm uploading stuff to MegaUpload via their online multi-upload feature.

neutralizer said:
Baby_Naruto said:
neutralizer said:

CPU is plenty fast enough for web browsing. Video card ram has nothing to do with we browsing. 256 MB is plenty to web browse as long as long as you're not running 11ty billion things in the background.

All I ever have running is 1 web browser, mIRC, and important system functions.

By the way, I always close my web browser first before opening my video player to play videos.

Kags_the_great said:
Try uninstalling it then reinstalling it. Sometimes that fixes whatever problem you're having.

I've tried that before many times with Firefox, it doesn't work.

chrisclarke said:
1. Download and install Privoxy. It should block most ads.

http://www.privoxy.org/

2. Then go into Chrome's Options (under the spanner icon).
3. Click Under the Hood tab.
4. Click Change proxy settings.
5. Click LAN Settings.
6. Check the Use a proxy server for your LAN.... checkbox
7. Click Advanced.
8. Next to HTTP, enter 127.0.0.1, in the port field 8118.
9. Ads should now be blocked.

All that did was make me unable to visit any web page at all.

WinterNightsFall said:
@Baby Naruto: FF should be fine with your current PC so long as you don't have like 50 tabs open. Also, half a gig of RAM can be gotten for...~fifteen bucks. Seriously. If you don't have $15 at the age of 20, I don't know what to say.

I don't have $15, because I don't have a job or any other means of earning money.

I've been trying to get one for ages with zero success. And yes I have tried fast food places etc.

By the way, if I'm getting RAM, it will be 1 GBs, which only cost $30 at newegg.com. I'll be able to afford 2 of them when Christmas comes along.

Oct 15, 2009 11:01 PM

Jun 2009
Hahah bitches I have 43 dollars in my bank account right now thats enough to buy 2 ram sticks and still have enough money to buy my 882 scantrons and number 2 pencils. I'm rich.
Oct 15, 2009 11:22 PM

Sep 2007
Baby_Naruto said:

By the way, I always close my web browser first before opening my video player to play videos.

Clearly, you're running too much crap as "system functions." I've ran on computers with firefox with 256 MB of RAM just fine. Turn on the free up ram option on firefox so that it conserves memory when you have minimized.

Baby_Naruto said:
WinterNightsFall said:
@Baby Naruto: FF should be fine with your current PC so long as you don't have like 50 tabs open. Also, half a gig of RAM can be gotten for...~fifteen bucks. Seriously. If you don't have $15 at the age of 20, I don't know what to say.

I don't have $15, because I don't have a job or any other means of earning money.

I've been trying to get one for ages with zero success. And yes I have tried fast food places etc.

By the way, if I'm getting RAM, it will be 1 GBs, which only cost $30 at newegg.com. I'll be able to afford 2 of them when Christmas comes along.

You mean you don't have any savings at all? Do you like take every scrap of money that you have and spend it on worthless stuff?
Oct 16, 2009 1:23 AM

Mar 2008
neutralizer said:
Baby_Naruto said:

Clearly, you're running too much crap as "system functions." I've ran on computers with firefox with 256 MB of RAM just fine. Turn on the free up ram option on firefox so that it conserves memory when you have minimized.

All of the system functions are vital to keep my PC performing well.

Trust me, I have double checked to see if there was anything I could stop or remove, but everything that runs in the background is super important!

neutralizer said:
Baby_Naruto said:
WinterNightsFall said:

You mean you don't have any savings at all? Do you like take every scrap of money that you have and spend it on worthless stuff?

If by worthless stuff you mean food that I need to eat in order to live, then yes >.>.

Oct 16, 2009 2:19 AM

Sep 2007
Baby_Naruto said:
neutralizer said:
Baby_Naruto said:
WinterNightsFall said:

If by worthless stuff you mean food that I need to eat in order to live, then yes >.>.

I thought you didn't have a job... so you must live at home and so where is the money comng from for you to spend on food. But really? No savings? Not even to watch movies with friends or "rent english dubbed anime from netflix."

I've never used it for the purpose but Peerguardian 2 has an ad list that will block ads. Still won't be as nice as the frame collapse that ABP has though.
Oct 16, 2009 2:28 AM

Mar 2008
neutralizer said:
Baby_Naruto said:
neutralizer said:
Baby_Naruto said:
WinterNightsFall said:

I thought you didn't have a job... so you must live at home and so where is the money comng from for you to spend on food. But really? No savings? Not even to watch movies with friends or "rent english dubbed anime from netflix."

I've never used it for the purpose but Peerguardian 2 has an ad list that will block ads. Still won't be as nice as the frame collapse that ABP has though.

I get food money from my mother, but thats the only money I ever get.

As for friends and Netflix, my mom pays for Netflix, not me, so I don't have to worry about that, and I rarely see my friends so that doesn't matter.

Oct 16, 2009 2:47 AM

Dec 2007
BN, how much RAM does your OS use idle?
Oct 16, 2009 9:28 AM

Mar 2008
Chavez said:

Normally? It's at 175 MB/255 MB right now, I only have Google Chrome and mIRC running.

Oct 16, 2009 9:41 AM

Dec 2007
Baby_Naruto said:
Chavez said:

Normally? It's at 175 MB/255 MB right now, I only have Google Chrome and mIRC running.

And which OS do you run?
Oct 16, 2009 2:25 PM

Mar 2008
Chavez said:
Baby_Naruto said:
Chavez said:

And which OS do you run?

I only have one OS, Windows XP Professional 2002 Service Pack 3.

It's the legit OS that came with my PC, though it was a Service Pack 1 or Service Pack 2 at the time of installation (April 21, 2003).

Oct 17, 2009 2:44 AM

Dec 2007
Baby_Naruto said:
Chavez said:
Baby_Naruto said:
Chavez said:

And which OS do you run?

It's the legit OS that came with my PC, though it was a Service Pack 1 or Service Pack 2 at the time of installation (April 21, 2003).

I have made a custom Windows XP unattended edition myself, and stripped it down enough so that it uses 56 MB RAM while idle (15 processes), the entire installation takes up less than 1 GB. All together, I'm certain there's some services you can disable in order to positively influence your computer's performance.
Oct 17, 2009 8:07 AM

Jul 2007
Holy shit, I can't believe I'm logging back on to MAL. This thread, at the very least though, has more merit than the rest of the crap on here.

Alright, let's get started.
You're going to need to run a developer build, preferably 4.0+, for this to work. Alternatively, you can use the Ironware version or run the latest trunk build of Chromium, like me.

I think extensions are enabled by default now, not so sure about greasemonkey scripts, but regardless. here are the args to enable extensions and greasemonkey scripts: "--enable-extensions --enable-user-scripts"

Add those to the chrome shortcut.

There are a couple other args which are quite convenient, but they're not very relevant to your purpose.

As for adblock, you can try these once you have all of that setup:
http://www.chromeextensions.org/appearance-functioning/adblock/

I've never been a big fan of adblock, as it doesn't bother me too much. But have fun, it works well enough.

-edit-
Oh wow. You only have 256 mb of ram? Not so sure you want to run chrome. Firefox is more lightweight, if you strip it down enough.
Oct 17, 2009 2:16 PM

Mar 2008
Chavez said:
Baby_Naruto said:
Chavez said:
Baby_Naruto said:
Chavez said:

And which OS do you run?

I have made a custom Windows XP unattended edition myself, and stripped it down enough so that it uses 56 MB RAM while idle (15 processes), the entire installation takes up less than 1 GB. All together, I'm certain there's some services you can disable in order to positively influence your computer's performance.

How about I write up a list of all of the processes I have running and give it to you?

(I can upload it to pastebin or mediafire)

tr1ggers4d said:
Holy shit, I can't believe I'm logging back on to MAL. This thread, at the very least though, has more merit than the rest of the crap on here.

Alright, let's get started.
You're going to need to run a developer build, preferably 4.0+, for this to work. Alternatively, you can use the Ironware version or run the latest trunk build of Chromium, like me.

I think extensions are enabled by default now, not so sure about greasemonkey scripts, but regardless. here are the args to enable extensions and greasemonkey scripts: "--enable-extensions --enable-user-scripts"

Add those to the chrome shortcut.

There are a couple other args which are quite convenient, but they're not very relevant to your purpose.

As for adblock, you can try these once you have all of that setup:
http://www.chromeextensions.org/appearance-functioning/adblock/

I've never been a big fan of adblock, as it doesn't bother me too much. But have fun, it works well enough.

-edit-
Oh wow. You only have 256 mb of ram? Not so sure you want to run chrome. Firefox is more lightweight, if you strip it down enough.

I NEED all of the shit I have installed in FF though. Which is why I'm going with Chrome until I can afford more RAM.

Oct 18, 2009 5:11 AM

Dec 2007
Baby_Naruto said:

How about I write up a list of all of the processes I have running and give it to you?

I could do with a hijackthis log.
Oct 18, 2009 5:32 AM

Nov 2007
Please keep this on topic. This is about Chrome, not FF or IE or Opera or anything else. Baby_Naruto has stated he can't just upgrade at the moment, so stop telling him to - if you don't have any useful advice, simply don't post.

On topic, DDR1 is expensive and incredibly out of date, I very strongly recommend not wasting money on it, just save all your christmas/bday money and build a new machine. You could do a super budget machine that will still be a lot better than what you have for like $200-300.
Oct 18, 2009 6:45 AM

May 2009
I'd say update your HOSTS file. This will keep most nasties away until you can get a new machine. The newest list will ban most known adverts and bad sites from ever entering your browser.http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

Hope that helps...
Oct 18, 2009 7:03 AM

Aug 2009
I'm sorry but blocking ads is stupid.
-Fixing-
Oct 18, 2009 7:07 AM

Jan 2009
Wilio said:
I'm sorry but blocking ads is stupid.

what?..

Oct 18, 2009 8:08 PM

Mar 2008
Chavez said:
Baby_Naruto said:

I googled it, but it only talks about removing adware and stuff.

I just want to show you a list of the current running processes on my computer xD.

Asako said:
1.) Please keep this on topic. This is about Chrome, not FF or IE or Opera or anything else. Baby_Naruto has stated he can't just upgrade at the moment, so stop telling him to - if you don't have any useful advice, simply don't post.

2.) On topic, DDR1 is expensive and incredibly out of date, I very strongly recommend not wasting money on it, just save all your christmas/bday money and build a new machine. You could do a super budget machine that will still be a lot better than what you have for like $200-300.

1.) Thank You :) *ends off-topic*

2.) I can't build a new machine, I'm not handy at all with computers.

If I do buy a new machine, it will be pre-built lol.

TsukikageRan said:
I'd say update your HOSTS file. This will keep most nasties away until you can get a new machine. The newest list will ban most known adverts and bad sites from ever entering your browser.[url=http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm]http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

Hope that helps...

I'll try that out.

Oct 18, 2009 9:29 PM

Sep 2007
Baby_Naruto said:
Chavez said:
Baby_Naruto said:

I just want to show you a list of the current running processes on my computer xD.

Protip: a quick read through google won't tell you everything

hijackthis log will return running processes.
Oct 19, 2009 4:39 AM

Dec 2007
neutralizer said:
Baby_Naruto said:
Chavez said:
Baby_Naruto said:

Protip: a quick read through google won't tell you everything

hijackthis log will return running processes.

And some services with certain settings, so yeah, I second this. It'll help more than just a list of processes.
Oct 21, 2009 1:55 AM

Mar 2008
Okay, I installed HijackThis, I'll run it and get a log after I do my daily scanning and removal of junk.

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.