Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fairy Tail
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (11) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Oct 13, 2009 4:12 AM

Aug 2007
The colors were a bit off.
I like Happy's and Lucy's voice actors <3
The rest is OK or worse, well let's see how it goes on.

I don't understand people who write a review after only one episode...

So I gave them all Not Helpful :P
People writing a review without having read the manga and only having watched this one episode that is out are even worse...
Oct 13, 2009 4:17 AM

Jul 2007
kujika said:

People writing a review without having read the manga and only having watched this one episode that is out are even worse...

THIS.

The reviews.
I loled.

Seriously. Some people just do not know when to shut up.

Reviewing anime after its first episode has to be the lowest thing one can do. Seriously there should be a rule in MAL, forbidding reviews and recomendations till at least ~5 episodes have aired.
Oct 13, 2009 4:36 AM

Sep 2009
i rekon its good
either way i wont be swayed by anyone xD
i rekon fairy tail is awesome :)
i was happy with the first ep
lucy is looking good but she seems to look hotter in the manga :D
imo
rie is awesome as Happy :D
and if i close my eyes with every seen with natsu i would be thinking its ttgl
but oh well
ill get used to the voice :)
the music was awesome
and i like the animation as well :3
can't wait for ep 2

Oct 13, 2009 4:42 AM
May 2008
if not the fact that i'm following the manga, I would have drop this anime from the first episode. but hey, it's JUST the first episode. I'll stick around till Ezra appear. though from the preview in the OP scene she's a bad adaptation from the manga to the animated version.
Oct 13, 2009 4:49 AM

Jun 2009
Jin_uzuki said:
Horrible, just... horrible.

And Lucy is one of the most annoying female character i ever seen.

maybe you said that because you hate Hirano Aya??
Oct 13, 2009 5:30 AM

Apr 2009
Does anyone know how's the song used during the battle scenes called?
if we die we'll meet again in valhalla...
Oct 13, 2009 5:38 AM
Jul 2018
Nice episode. Liked it
Oct 13, 2009 5:41 AM

Jul 2009
First impressions are they covered the first chapter perfectly (although I didn't like the special effects for Natsu's fire) and the sound is good (OP is good and the ED is pure win XD). Natsu and Lucy have perfect voices but why does Happy have the same voice as Kagura from Gintama? (Not sure if this is to make him sound cute but he sounds too girly)
Oct 13, 2009 5:44 AM

Sep 2008
They fucked fairy tail, the quality is awful >_<
Oct 13, 2009 5:44 AM

Jul 2009
Zell182 said:
Natsu and Lucy have perfect voices but why does Happy have the same voice as Kagura from Gintama? (Not sure if this is to make him sound cute but he sounds too girly)
I even didn't noticed that Happy is a guy.. so what is happy's gender?
Oct 13, 2009 6:03 AM

Jan 2009
Laevantein said:
so what is happy's gender?

Happy's gender is thing, clearly : > Like Mieu from Tales of the Abyss xD
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Oct 13, 2009 6:24 AM

Apr 2009
Fai said:
y there should be a rule in MAL, forbidding reviews and recomendations till at least ~5 episodes have aired.

actually in the shounen anime's like this one there should be after 20-30 +...

and btw why the moderators are not deleting the reviews ? wtf?
Oct 13, 2009 6:24 AM

Jul 2009
Oosran said:
Laevantein said:

Well thanks for the example, now i won't be bother about it voice again
Oct 13, 2009 6:39 AM

Jan 2009
Laevantein said:
Oosran said:
Laevantein said:

Well thanks for the example, now i won't be bother about it voice again

: > Or well, actually Mieu is a he, but Luke (one of the mains in TotA), refers to him as 'it' : D So I'd like to think about Happy as an 'it' too xD
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Oct 13, 2009 6:40 AM
Jul 2018
Well now then you guys have mentioned it, Happy did sound like Kagura

That voice actress has done so many roles (Alphonse Elric for one) but this time her voice really sounded like Kagura (whose voice style is some what diff than other characters performed by this lady)
Oct 13, 2009 6:42 AM
Jul 2018
smokes said:
Fai said:
y there should be a rule in MAL, forbidding reviews and recomendations till at least ~5 episodes have aired.

actually in the shounen anime's like this one there should be after 20-30 +...

and btw why the moderators are not deleting the reviews ? wtf?

Agree. Most of the epic series (long running ones) kick off very late e.g. One Piece, Bleach, Katekyo Hitman Reborn

Reviews shouldn't be there so soon
Oct 13, 2009 6:55 AM

Aug 2009
Yeah, I remember people downright hated Reborn when it started coming out.
Oct 13, 2009 7:22 AM
Jun 2009
Only one episode out and there is people who have decided this show sucks? Come on.
Oct 13, 2009 7:29 AM
Oct 2008
-Tsume- said:
Only one episode out and there is people who have decided this show sucks? Come on.

There are already people deciding that the first episode wasn't good and that they'd rather spend their time watching other shows, I believe.
Oct 13, 2009 7:32 AM

Jan 2009
GreatRumbler said:
-Tsume- said:

There are already people deciding that the first episode wasn't good and that they'd rather spend their time watching other shows, I believe.

People have a tendency to be way too hasty when it comes to deciding whether something's shit or not >.> (Me for example, when it came to Element Hunters >.>)
Oct 13, 2009 7:34 AM

Jun 2008
yay finally, been waiting for this!

loved:
happy <3 he is as cute as ever
animation at some parts
soundtrack, really cool and fits very well too
that this is anime

disliked:
animation (especially on people) at times, could have been way better, also erza is pretty in manga, but here kinda not so much =\

unexpected:
that aye is actually hai x] but i should have suspected that actually heh..
natsu's voice, i thought it would be and would maybe suit beteer if it was like luffy's voice, but well yeah then ppl would complain about ripping off OP or something, oh well its ok as it is too

lets all hope there wont be no filler crap in this, and maybe this turn out as really great anime, afterall manga is pretty good
Oct 13, 2009 7:36 AM

Mar 2009
Oh God, the BGM is PERFECT for this show. Gotta download when it comes out.
Oct 13, 2009 7:56 AM

Apr 2009
Haven't read the manga, so it's only the anime I'm basing this off of, but so far so good :D
So, Lucy's basically a summoner?

BGM=awesome.
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
Oct 13, 2009 7:57 AM

Aug 2009
Shadoww said:

that aye is actually hai x]
No, actually I think in the manga it's "Aye" too.
Oct 13, 2009 8:09 AM
Sep 2007
I just finished watching Mamiko's subbed version. I haven't read the manga, but I love Fairy Tail and it met my expectations =D

By the way, did anyone else notice that Plue from Rave Master.

Plue = Cool
Oct 13, 2009 8:40 AM
Nov 2008
Only read a few chapters of Fairy Tail, and this was about what I expected. Enjoyed it for sure, and the soundtrack was awesome. I'll definitely be sticking with this one for a while.
Oct 13, 2009 8:56 AM
Jul 2018
Didn't read the manga, but I really liked this first episode!
Oct 13, 2009 8:57 AM

Sep 2009
Cenedess said:
Haven't read the manga, so it's only the anime I'm basing this off of, but so far so good :D
So, Lucy's basically a summoner?

BGM=awesome.

Yea, Lucy has the power

And start reading the manga NOW!

j/k you read it when you want it :p

I loved the anime. It was above my expectations and I was dying to see this first episode. For the ppl who didn't enjoy the first episode you should give FT more chance. It's just the first episode, FT is way more than that.
Oct 13, 2009 8:58 AM
Oct 2007
Awesome ep

But everyime Natsu talked I expected him to sound like Luffy lol
Oct 13, 2009 8:59 AM

Jan 2009
ShadowElite said:
But everyime Natsu talked I expected him to sound like Luffy lol

Luckily for me, I haven't watched One Piece : D
Oct 13, 2009 9:06 AM

Jun 2008
Well that was a typical shounen first episode. Nothing special, nothing wrong with it.
I bet the next few episodes won't make you say this show is amazing until it reaches some great big arc. I wasn't better or worse from what i expected.

I guess i'll have to get used to hearing Haruhi's voice now. That makes liking this Lucy girl a little difficult since Haruhi never shutting her mouth was one of the most annoying things. Her voice was like a nightmare.

BTW this show was shown yesterday. I saw it today right after getting back from work and there are already 12 pages. Ether it was the most anticipated show or you guys are annoying fast.
Oct 13, 2009 9:28 AM

Jan 2009
Monad said:
I guess i'll have to get used to hearing Haruhi's voice now. That makes liking this Lucy girl a little difficult since Haruhi never shutting her mouth was one of the most annoying things. Her voice was like a nightmare.

I'd say that's one of her redeeming features : D

Monad said:
BTW this show was shown yesterday. I saw it today right after getting back from work and there are already 12 pages. Ether it was the most anticipated show or you guys are annoying fast.

Well, I think this ought to have had a quite high anticipation, so that's probably it. (And then there're those like me who post useless comments like this, which kinda fills up stuff too : D)
Oct 13, 2009 9:30 AM

Apr 2009
This seems to be a nice anime filled with my humour :)
Oct 13, 2009 9:37 AM

Feb 2009
Monad said:
Well that was a typical shounen first episode. Nothing special, nothing wrong with it.
I bet the next few episodes won't make you say this show is amazing until it reaches some great big arc. I wasn't better or worse from what i expected.

This show was very antecipated, I saw it in the day it was released and it alreqady has 9 pages.

Actually I only heard about Fairy Tail from a friend who reads the manga, and it's not really my type of thing to start watching shows when they come out. However I guess I was taken by the hype and found myself starting watching it as well xD

Well since I like shows like One Piece and Naruto I thought "why not?" I didn't dislike the first episode, it has potencial.

For me Naruto started getting reallygood in the Chunnin exam (people say it starts going down from there, but I don't think so, and for me the series ends at ep 135), OP started getting really good in the Beratie arc (actually captain Kuro was already good) and bleach started its goodness in the SS arc (although I started enjoying bleach from the very beginning, but it started going down from there, unlike the other series which got better).
Oct 13, 2009 10:07 AM

Jul 2007
I kinda enjoyed it but found myself thinking halfway through that it was a bit generic but I will give it a good few episodes as it seems a lot of people are expecting good things from this anime.
Oct 13, 2009 10:31 AM

Jan 2009
It was ok, wasn't expecting much from the first episode. I knew it was going go be slow, as must Shonen's start out slow. The animation and character design's did get on my nerves a little bit, it was very blochy and characters didn't look as good as the manga.

Voice actor's don't really fit though, at least not Natsu's, i think he would've done better as Gary to be honest.
Oct 13, 2009 10:40 AM

May 2009
It was okay. It smells like an extensively long and stretched out anime waiting to happen, judging from the economy animation (repeating motions/sketch-like drawings) and sometimes excessive chit-chat and explanations (description of guilds, seemed a little forced in there).

But I'm not one to judge an entire show based upon what happened in one episode, which is why I'm going to follow it to see where it goes. The show has potential at least, since I so far enjoy the music/fight scenes.
Oct 13, 2009 11:00 AM

May 2009
It took me a bit to get used to Natsu's voice, but now that I am the only complaint I had with the anime is gone. I loved the first ep so much.
Oct 13, 2009 11:03 AM
Feb 2009
Hmmm just got done watching this, it was about as good as what I expected. :/ Hopefully they move away from using those cheap special effects for magic later on.

The only thing I really didn't like was Happy's voice...but that was mostly because I didn't picture him sounding like that at all. xD
Oct 13, 2009 11:31 AM

Apr 2008
Disappointing. The only good thing was the ED lol
Oct 13, 2009 11:38 AM

Apr 2009
tsundere cat ftw?
I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. It's the honest ones you have to watch out for. Honestly.
Oct 13, 2009 11:38 AM

Feb 2009
Dropped... not my style.
Oct 13, 2009 11:58 AM

May 2008
Not too satisfied with it, but actually the ties with One piece have been cut at least.
The animation was good at some point but not a high quality one I think. I almost cried when I saw Gerard, he looks horrible in the opening. The voices were good...well I continoue watching...
Oct 13, 2009 12:22 PM

Mar 2008
Well I found it pretty good overall since I expected something quite worse, though the great voice actors helped a lot.

It is such a shame that most of the jokes are One Piece rip-offs (like that Lucy scene at the magic shop, it was so Nami-like), still I enjoyed it thoroughly. I loved Natsu and Happy, and the somewhat plot-twist at the end poked my interest. I thought the kid was just some rookie xD

I'm keeping an eye on this.
Oct 13, 2009 12:24 PM

Jul 2009
mirichan00 said:
Well I found it pretty good overall since I expected something quite worse, though the great voice actors helped a lot.

It is such a shame that most of the jokes are One Piece rip-offs (like that Lucy scene at the magic shop, it was so Nami-like),

Knew someone would say that
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines!
Oct 13, 2009 12:28 PM

Oct 2009
It was alright, I got a bit of a laugh out of the scene with Aquarius.

Dropped, though I can't wait for the OST. The BGM is great.
Oct 13, 2009 12:30 PM
Dec 2007
Zac Bertschy - AnimeNewsNetwork said:
You know how in the grocery store cereal aisle they'll have the name brand cereals like Lucky Charms and Cocoa Puffs and then there's also a series of bins that has generic off-brand versions of those cereals that come in resealable bags instead of boxes and it's just Lucky Charms except it's called “Leprechaun Gems” or “Choco Balls” or whatever they have to call it to escape brand infringement?

Fairy Tale is the “Leprechaun Gems” version of One Piece.

Now, the similarities between the two are probably a little overplayed – most of the comparisons came about because of Hiro Mashima's wholesale plagiarism of Eiichiro Oda's art style in the manga version. Indeed, it's tough to really compare the two on any substantial level, given that even in its early episodes One Piece was a well-written top shelf work executed with finesse and Fairy Tale is a big ugly pile of generic shonen clichés that does not have one speck of creativity in it.

[...]

The characters are super generic – Natsu is a super-powerful hero with some comic foibles (he gets nauseous on any moving vehicle! Oh ho!), and Lucy is essentially a spell-casting version of Nami. The show is also trying really hard to be funny, and it goes about it in the laziest possible way, relying on the old “everyone overreacts to everything and yells at eachother all the time” trope that I guess passes for comedy for some people.

The animation is garbage, the spell-fighting at the end is boring and chock full of really crappy CG effects, and all in all this is a big steaming pile of who gives a shit. Watch One Piece or Naruto or Bleach or any of the other shonen series out there that are executed a million times better than this falderal.

Oh also, any manga author who uses the “hero character comically overeats!” thing should be dragged into the town square and pelted with spoiled produce."

I don't where to begin. I believe I've just witnessed one of the worst pieces of japanese animation in my life. Animation is utterly crappy, the "story" is generic as Hell and features dumb emo kids making outrageous faces for God knows what, not counting that there's absolutely no creativity whatsoever in this episode, as Zac Bertschy pointed out. I don't even want to speak about the direction, no word has been invented in the dictionnary to descibe how bad it is. Watching this episode was like my worst nightmare had come true, it's probably the weakest intro episode I have seen this season on. Or this year maybe. I'm definitely not a fan of shonen animes, although I found Kekkaishi, Hunter x Hunter and Fullmetal Alchemist to be great series that represent the genre very well, I consider Naruto and One Piece to be dull but slightly entertaining, and most of the others, among which Soul Eater, Bleach, D-Gray Man and co are just horrible to me. But I've never smelled before a shonen anime stinking as much as Fairy Tail. Its only redeeming quality - if you can call it that - is the interesting celtic-styled music (with Naruto OST overtones). Everything else is pure and absolute garbage, and I wouldn't want anyone I know watching this shit. I dropped without a second thought and I wish I didn't watch this episode.

On another note, have you ever wondered why Aya Hirano always over-plays her parts and ad-libs like crazy to fill the blanks? I do, and the more I listen to her voice acting, the more she annoys me. Then again, it may not be her doing, since it seems to be a common issue for all the characters of Fairy Tail, and the dubbing seemed incredibly weeker than in any other series I've watched recently.

To sum it up, a very bad work here by A-1 Pictures, but I guess they weren't exactly helped by the original manga.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Oct 13, 2009 12:39 PM

Mar 2008
unellmay said:
Knew someone would say that

Lol, it was so obvious I had to point it out. I can understand the facepalm-reaction x)
Oct 13, 2009 1:03 PM

Apr 2008
Tried to read the manga once and didn't get very far mostly due to being repelled by the cheap comedy, but I was rather excited about this anime. It's easier to watch something than read, so I figured the failings would be easier to glaze over in order to get to the meat of this incredibly popular series, but... man is that animation cheap. I could forgive it if they saved the budget for making the fights look awesome, but the combat proved just as lacking.

I'm still going to give it a bit more of a chance and am really hoping that fights against real enemies will have a bit more put into them, but my excitement over this series took a big hit.

On the plus side, I liked the voices, and that Celtic bgm is indeed awesome.
Oct 13, 2009 1:14 PM

May 2008
Well, it's just the first episode, maybe it will be criticized, maybe it will be bashed and insulted and stepped on. But with this I hope the producers see their errors and change the way they do the things. I , who am an One Piece and Fairy Tail lover, never seen any big details which would make one a copy of the other. Probably who said this, said the same about Naruto and 666 Satan... The only things I see in common about One Piece and Fairy Tail is the spirit of friendship between the characters, the powerful protagonist the girl that uses their sexual appeal and a mascot. Now let's see... How many SHONEN animes has all of this, or at least one of this things... humm... all of them!!! Friendship... let's see: One Piece, Katekyo Hitman Reborn, Dragon Ball, Fairy Tail, Naruto, D.Gray-man, Gintama, Bleach, Eyeshield, Kekkaishi, Hunter x Hunter, etc... Powerful protagonists: One Piece, Fairy Tail, Naruto, Bleach, Dragon Ball, Katekyo Hitman Reborn, etc... The sexy female characters: One Piece, Fairy Tail, Dragon Ball... The mascots!!!: One Piece (Chopper), Fairy Tail (Happy), Bleach (Kon), Eyeshield 21 (Cerberus, not the cute type), FullMetal Alchemist (that Kungfu panda, not shure if it parts with them or not), Gintama (Sadaharu), Katekyo Hitman Reborn (Lambo, not a pet but it's the same objective, Leon and all that Arcobaleno's pets)
What i mean is that, not everyone can come up with an purely original plot, there will always be similarities between animes, just an example: the Ecchi type animes (not that i dislike them xD).
Well my opinion about the episode is not the best of all too, my opinion is that it has the chance to get better and i hope they rise the quality of Fairy Tail.

Join my club: The Walking Dead
Pages (11) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fairy Tail Episode 34 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Knave - Jun 21, 2010

83 by gannoncannon55 »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » Fairy Tail Episode 33 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

garfield15 - Jun 7, 2010

114 by gannoncannon55 »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » Fairy Tail Episode 92 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Kradical - Aug 12, 2011

92 by shiroyasha367 »»
Yesterday, 8:22 AM

Poll: » Fairy Tail Episode 169 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 15, 2013

103 by aod-kun »»
Apr 25, 10:12 PM

Poll: » Fairy Tail Episode 167 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Feb 1, 2013

186 by aod-kun »»
Apr 25, 10:02 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.