Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fairy Tail
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (11) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Oct 12, 2009 3:59 AM

Dec 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Was OK, although I didn't like the animation and coloring at some parts.
Hirano Aya as Lucy was great though, and the celtic folk BGM was awesome.
yakisobapanOct 12, 2009 6:58 PM
Oct 12, 2009 4:05 AM

Jul 2008
Need raw, now.

"I'd suck you~" Berri||Desu Ne?
Oct 12, 2009 4:26 AM
Mar 2009
Finally it is out just need to wait for the subs
Oct 12, 2009 4:31 AM

Apr 2008
Charliehsv said:

and the celtic folk BGM was awesome.

yeah the music was awesome

My english sucks....i know....
Oct 12, 2009 5:24 AM

Jul 2009
It's out now? Are there any subs out?
This is a signature.
Oct 12, 2009 5:25 AM

Aug 2007
I enjoyed it but it wasnt spectacular or anything. Still, Ill be watching it this season.
Oct 12, 2009 5:27 AM

Aug 2008
Subs were good quality... Only thing that was slightly annoying was "wizards."

As for the episode itself, it wasn't great. But then again, neither was the material that was being used...

Character animation wasn't too bad.
Magic animation was quite nice.
Background animation seemed pokemon-ish...

Natsu's voice was alright
Lucy's was good at some points, but terrible at others.
Happy sounded too much like Kagura.

OP music was strange, but awesome.
OP animation followed a similar structure to the earlier one piece openings, without giving away spoilers.

ED just doesn't fit the series.

Could have been better, but wasn't terrible. 4/5.
Oct 12, 2009 5:36 AM
Sep 2008
where can i find it not in crunchyroll or torrent ?
Oct 12, 2009 5:43 AM
Apr 2009
I'll watch it once one of the streaming sights has it up.
Oct 12, 2009 6:12 AM

Aug 2009
NATSU SHALL PIERCE THE HEAVENS WITH THE POWER OF HIS DRILL....(oh wait, same voice actor different show. My bad. )

First of all. Loved the opening. It was very soft for a shounen manga adaptation but that wasn't a bad thing at all. ED wasn't all that hot.

Okay so here it is. It was not too bad at all. I was already going into it biased because I still have horrible, horrible memories of Rave Master's hideous adaptation but it did do it's job well. For bringing out the first chapter, it was very good. Though some of the animation was a bit stiff at parts and for some reason, I never thought that kind of gruff voice would work that well with Natsu. Note that it's not a bad voice just a bit unexpected.

Anyway, glad it's finally here.
llamaben said:

Yeah, he also sounded like Shana, Louise, Nagi, Alphonse Elric, Miharu, Taiga...OH RIGHT! :P
Oct 12, 2009 6:27 AM

Aug 2008
garfield15 said:

llamaben said:

Yeah, he also sounded like Shana, Louise, Nagi, Alphonse Elric, Miharu, Taiga...OH RIGHT! :P

Kagura's voice is a lil different from all those... Happy was more that style.
Oct 12, 2009 6:32 AM

Mar 2008
The episode followed the manga well, but overall the animation and the used colors were just too bright.
I'm also having trouble getting used too the voices :s

The OP song/animation was good, but the ED was weird.
Miertje86Oct 12, 2009 6:53 AM
Oct 12, 2009 6:40 AM

Jul 2007
Amazing. I was at bit worried, but man it delivered. The music was incredible. Very well fitting.

I love the similarities to one piece humor, which is why I know I will love this show. Well that... and wizards + dragons + magic = awesome.

I was more than happy with the animation, and I thought all the voices were great.

I am so happy to finally have an anime adaptation.
Oct 12, 2009 6:54 AM

Feb 2008
Kinda disappointed, was expecting a bit more. I think the only part I actually enjoyed was the fight + music.
The voices are also bugging me, but that's something I'll just have to get used to.
Oct 12, 2009 6:56 AM

May 2009
It was really good. I have only complains with the animation, but it wasn't so bad either.

Followed the manga very closely, but I missed the Magic Council that was in the first chapter.
Oct 12, 2009 7:09 AM

Feb 2009
it's decent but its not as good as i thought
Oct 12, 2009 7:16 AM

Oct 2009
AWESOME in every way!!! ive been waiting for an anime like this to keep my mind of one piece and naruto from time to time =] i hope this show stays a live for a very long time =D

Oct 12, 2009 7:23 AM

Dec 2007
Fairy Tail made my day :P looking forward to the next episode~
Oct 12, 2009 7:39 AM

Oct 2008
Totally love it!!!
Oct 12, 2009 7:39 AM

May 2008
I liked I it but it wasnt what I expected.
I think it was because I seemed kind of childish.
It seemed different from the manga
maybe ill change over time like One Piece did.

Oct 12, 2009 7:40 AM

Jun 2009
HorribleSubs also has released this now
Oct 12, 2009 7:44 AM

Feb 2008
That was pretty awesome.
I laughed so much at the mermaid bit.
Oct 12, 2009 7:48 AM

Nov 2008
It was awesome, just like the manga.
Oct 12, 2009 7:57 AM

Jul 2009
nothing to complain xDD
Oct 12, 2009 8:01 AM
Oct 2008
Everything felt bland, especially the animation, which was some of the worst I've seen this season outside of Bantorra's horrible CG. I doubt I'll watch any more of this.
Oct 12, 2009 8:04 AM

Feb 2009
GreatRumbler said:
Everything felt bland, especially the animation, which was some of the worst I've seen this season outside of Bantorra's horrible CG. I doubt I'll watch any more of this.

i agree. it was dog piss
Oct 12, 2009 8:09 AM

Jun 2007
Well, that looked terrible and was terrible. Bottom of the barrel art and animation, uninteresting characters (Lucy being like a hyper and mentally challenged version of Nami didn't help either), and poor direction put this nice and squarely in the dropped pile. Which, I have to say, I don't often do after just one episode for a shounen series of this type. Although I suppose I did for Rave Master...

So yeah, pretty bad.
Oct 12, 2009 8:09 AM

Jul 2007
All I can say is:

FUcking epic.

Of course coulours are a bit too bright, but I am alright with it considering its one of less serious arcs. Once we get into War and Tower parts it will most likely darken.

EDIT:

MetatronM said:
Well, that looked terrible and was terrible. Bottom of the barrel art and animation, uninteresting characters (Lucy being like a hyper and mentally challenged version of Nami didn't help either), and poor direction put this nice and squarely in the dropped pile. Which, I have to say, I don't often do after just one episode for a shounen series of this type. Although I suppose I did for Rave Master...

So yeah, pretty bad.

Says the person with OP avatar and OP in his anime favs. Well, I guess it was inevitable - OPtards rushing to bash this awesomeness, I mean.
Oct 12, 2009 8:10 AM

Dec 2008
Wasn't that bad, though i feel that Lucy's voice is too much Haruhi >__>
The animation was... good. But i didn't like it in some parts.
The OP music was wonderful, but the sequence wasn't. And the ED was cute, but the music was... .___.

I hope the 2nd chapter will be much better.
Oct 12, 2009 8:13 AM

Jul 2007
Ferilonchia said:
Wasn't that bad, though i feel that Lucy's voice is too much Haruhi >__>
The animation was... good. But i didn't like it in some parts.
The OP music was wonderful, but the sequence wasn't. And the ED was cute, but the music was... .___.

I hope the 2nd chapter will be much better.

However looking at the brighter side - So far its the most faithful anime adaptation I have seen in years. Surelly they took some liberties with magic effects, but overall they did not add or cut anything, which I find relieving considering on just how Rave Master was raped by that anime studio...
Oct 12, 2009 8:27 AM

Mar 2008
Hmmmmm.... there was both good and bad in this episode. I would say 3/5

Animation and colors didn't really impress me. Natsu's voice is perfect, Lucy's ok but Happy.... TOO GIRLY! XD (Even though Rie is an awesome seiyuu <3) Also I was annoyed by the special effects of their magic attacks.
Oct 12, 2009 8:28 AM

Sep 2008
I felt a little disappointed,but I know what follows so it's still on my top list.
Oct 12, 2009 8:28 AM
Oct 2007
was really lookin forward to this anime but gotta say i'm quite dissapointed, this is my personal opinion so there will deff be people who disagree with my opinions but here they are

animation: 4/10 - the magic circles round natsu's magic are really unnecessary they didn't exist in the manga and really didn't need to exist in the anime, the character resemblance to the manga is quite different in certain ways aswell

voices:

Happy: 5/10 just because of who the voice actor is i love her voice acting but i just don't think it suits happy mabey her voice on happy will grow on me but not likley.

Natsu: the voice gets 1/10 i know there are alot of people who compare the fairy tail manga to one piece and there are arguments about how it doesn't even compare to one piece but i'm not gonna get into that right now what i will say is that a voice actor with the same type of emotion in the voice as Tanaka Mayumi who does luffys voice in one piece would have been way more suitable for natsus voice because of the type of personality natsu has. and as metioned befor the magic insignias when natsu uses magic are really unnecessary

lucy: great voicce actor playing her but yet again voice doesn't seam suitable for the anime based on the story of the manga ect it'll be hard to cope listening to the current lucy's voice in serious situations

narrators voice - generally good but disliked the way some things were said such as 'wizards' it should be 'mage' lol

overall 3/10 didn3't hate it but can't ssay i liked the first episode all that much i'll watch the continuing series to see how it develops but so far looking to be something children from the age 5-12 will enjoy more to watch

EDIT:

like Fai said their is people that are purley hating it because they are in love with one piece and yes i also agree it is sticking to the storyline very strictly which most usually don't and also i really am praying that what u said comes true about it getting to be serious and darker storyline when it gets to the serious plots that is why i will continue to watch and hope it becomes as we want it to be :P
metal-blazeOct 12, 2009 8:34 AM
shugochara1r1c1.png
shugochara1r2c1.pngmetal-blaze.pngshugochara1r2c3.png
shugochara1r3c1.png
Oct 12, 2009 8:42 AM

Jul 2008
The animation is not my favorites but otherwise it looked really nice ! Natsu had a really nice voice and Aya Hirano as Lucy didn't hear that bad either.And it followed the manga quite nicely :---------)))) And aww, Happy was much nicer there than in the manga ! *w*

&& the opening was nice !

Oct 12, 2009 8:50 AM

Nov 2007
Animation isn't very good, but I'm hoping that means that they're planning on adapting the whole manga, so they don't want to waste their budget.

Natsu's voice was much better than I expected.
Happy was great too.
Lucy on the other hand... some lines were fine, but quite a few made me wince.

It was a rather loyal adaptation overall, but I'm a little upset they cut out the scene with the Council at the beginning.

Fai said:
Says the person with OP avatar and OP in his anime favs. Well, I guess it was inevitable - OPtards rushing to bash this awesomeness, I mean.
lololol
How hypocritical.
amayadoriOct 12, 2009 8:53 AM

Znips: When Shay is born she just crawls back in the womb to shitpost for another year
Oct 12, 2009 8:50 AM

Jul 2007
The-Freedom said:

Natsu: the voice gets 1/10 i know there are alot of people who compare the fairy tail manga to one piece and there are arguments about how it doesn't even compare to one piece but i'm not gonna get into that right now what i will say is that a voice actor with the same type of emotion in the voice as Tanaka Mayumi who does luffys voice in one piece would have been way more suitable for natsus voice because of the type of personality natsu has. and as metioned befor the magic insignias when natsu uses magic are really unnecessary

No. Just no.

For one - the characters are NOTHING alike. Luffy is more like Easy-going fool who sometimes might to something great, while Natsu is hotheaded-badass fool. The only two voice actors I would have wished for him were R.Paku(Edward Elric in FMA:B) or T.Kirihara(Simon in TTGL). ANd my wish was answered.

For second: I DONOT want him to sound like Luffy. There will be enough of "omg it rippad ma fav one piece" rants in the next episode thread even without that.
Oct 12, 2009 8:53 AM

Dec 2007
The voice of Natsu wasn't the one that I'd imagined.
But that first episode was AWESOME !
Oct 12, 2009 9:02 AM

Jul 2009
Epic episode! I liked it a lot. I dont really know if the manga is better though... xD
Oct 12, 2009 9:08 AM

May 2009
I liked it, but I didn't love it. But then again, I was really hyped for this.

The animation and colors as well as the magic effects didn't look too great, so I hope that gets better. And what's with all the magic rings and effects, change of enviroment and Igneel in Natsu's fight? The manga fight is 10x more awesome.
The seiyuus will get some getting used to, especially Natsu's. I quite like Kugimiya Rie as Happy but it feels a bit too girly. I loved Hirano Aya as Lucy though, energetic and nice.

The opening was nice as well as the BGM throughout the episode. The ending, not so much - didn't fit in imo.
stAtic91Oct 12, 2009 9:11 AM
Oct 12, 2009 9:09 AM

Aug 2008
Pretty good start for the show ^.^ I guess Fairy Tail and One Piece are gonna be my weekly hapiness :D :D :D

Awesome xD By the speed they are gonna adapt the Manga into an Anime they got enough for ~75 episodes for now xD

My Anime Lists: AniDB & MAL
Oct 12, 2009 9:11 AM

Feb 2009
it's not as good as I thought when I see the trailer

they should use the word "mage" instead of "wizard" and I don't think they should translate the name of the attack and add the translation note at the first appearance.

stream: http://www.anilinkz.com/fairy-tail/fairy-tail-episode-1/
Oct 12, 2009 9:13 AM

Jul 2009
He..interesting..somehow i found new reason to follow battle shounen again..been long time, but i think i'll follow this one up..probably will started the manga too
Oct 12, 2009 9:24 AM

Apr 2009
Didn't like the magic effects at all but the music made up for that. Fai is right, this really was the first chapter of the manga animated, lines/gags and everything.

The one thing I can't stand is Happy's voice. He is a male cat right?
Oct 12, 2009 9:31 AM

Jan 2008
That was totally AWESOME!

I'm at a loss for words, really. I liked the Animation (not especially good, but not bad either), the seiyuus (Even though I was sceptical as Aya Hirano for Lucy...but it works) and the adaptation itself.
I love everyone of Happys "Aye!" XD Cant get enough of it!

Cant wait to see the next episode <3

Little Chara-spoiler
Oct 12, 2009 9:41 AM

Oct 2008
Kugumiya as Happy... DO NOT WANT!!

Celtish BGM was great though.
Oct 12, 2009 9:43 AM

Aug 2009
I thought ep1 was great, it was funny and it made you want to keep watching it. I feel like it will become a very worthwhile anime to watch
Oct 12, 2009 9:46 AM

Jul 2009
GAY4ANIME said:
I thought ep1 was great, it was funny and it made you want to keep watching it. I feel like it will become a very worthwhile anime to watch

i am in a succinct agreement
Oct 12, 2009 9:50 AM

Feb 2009
the opening was lame as hell and turned my off completely, uggg.... i'ma just marathon episodes in a few months.
Oct 12, 2009 9:50 AM

Aug 2009
Thank you sir
Oct 12, 2009 9:58 AM

Sep 2007
Having the reputation of being a "One Piece" clone, it sure wasn't that similar (except the eating part, though that is common anyway). Bland first episode, but as far as these shows goes (thinking mainly about One Piece here), it doesn't really start to be good before a couple of episodes.
Pages (11) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fairy Tail Episode 34 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Knave - Jun 21, 2010

83 by gannoncannon55 »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Fairy Tail Episode 33 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

garfield15 - Jun 7, 2010

114 by gannoncannon55 »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Fairy Tail Episode 92 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Kradical - Aug 12, 2011

92 by shiroyasha367 »»
Yesterday, 8:22 AM

Poll: » Fairy Tail Episode 169 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 15, 2013

103 by aod-kun »»
Apr 25, 10:12 PM

Poll: » Fairy Tail Episode 167 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Feb 1, 2013

186 by aod-kun »»
Apr 25, 10:02 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.