Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 5, 2014 7:30 PM

Apr 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I have not read the Lensman series by E.E. Smith yet so I don't know if this is a faithful adaptation of the source material but just seeing firstly my impression is that they made a loose adaptation of it. Anyway that aside I viewed this with eye for it's entertainment value, I think it was just an OK anime movie. It's a very typical 80's anime so 6/10 for me.
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Aug 12, 2015 4:24 PM

May 2012
I'm actually not sure what to think about this anime to be honest as I've got mixed feelings about it, that together as I only found the Eng Dubbed version it didn't really was to my liking either as the dub was very plain and generic.

That said the original story was pretty okay, the sci fi setting was pretty okay and the overall atmosphere and action was decent as well.

So while I can't really say that I enjoyed watching this anime, it was still okay for what it was. I'm probably not going to watch the full TV series though.

All in all an okay movie.
Dec 28, 2015 9:32 PM

Jun 2014
I really enjoyed this movie. There was definitely some Star Wars/Tron influences in there, and it was very exciting.

I hope someone fansubs the series some day, as I would love to see it.

Mar 30, 2017 7:45 AM

Dec 2015
Action-packed adventure surfing the Star Wars trend (you can link characters from both movies). It was typical, it was average but his sole purpose was perfectly served by a good animation and the mechanical and extraterrestrial designs were not only good and helping the adventure to look exotic but also well drawn on screen.
The 3DCGI was certainly good for its time but it doesn't prevent it to look uselessly ugly (intro, virtual reality) apart from the computer screens who were a good use of them. While the same rendering fit well in Tron or The Lawnmower Man, it is not entirely justified here and a cellulo character pasted on it makes it look worse than it actually is.
As for the sound... the songs insertions could sound random and the overall background musics placement was questionable.

Enjoyment: 4/5
Score: 5,5/10
Rei_IIISep 19, 2022 4:41 AM
Apr 26, 2020 1:53 PM

Aug 2016
Seiya said:
I really enjoyed this movie. There was definitely some Star Wars/Tron influences in there, and it was very exciting.

I believe the original Lensman books came before Star Wars (don't know anything about Tron). I believe Lensman was originally made late 30's/early 40's.
Though the movie/tv show adaptations were possibly created because Star Wars was so popular.
Apr 26, 2020 4:03 PM

Jun 2014
DancingTheBa said:
Seiya said:

I believe the original Lensman books came before Star Wars (don't know anything about Tron). I believe Lensman was originally made late 30's/early 40's.
Though the movie/tv show adaptations were possibly created because Star Wars was so popular.

Yeah, I heard that the movie/tv show was so different from the source that the author of the Lensman books kids' got really angry, and because of that, you'll likely never see Lensman re-released on a newer format like DVD or Blu-ray, so my VHS tape and the Laserdisc versions are as good as it's gonna get.

Apr 26, 2020 4:16 PM

Aug 2016
Seiya said:
DancingTheBa said:

Yeah, I heard that the movie/tv show was so different from the source that the author of the Lensman books kids' got really angry, and because of that, you'll likely never see Lensman re-released on a newer format like DVD or Blu-ray, so my VHS tape and the Laserdisc versions are as good as it's gonna get.

So his kids were the ones who didn't like it, not even the dude who wrote it? Seems kind of weird to me to be honest. Shame it'll never get re-released as the movie was pretty decent, haven't seen the show though.
Apr 26, 2020 4:23 PM

Jun 2014
DancingTheBa said:
Seiya said:

So his kids were the ones who didn't like it, not even the dude who wrote it? Seems kind of weird to me to be honest. Shame it'll never get re-released as the movie was pretty decent, haven't seen the show though.

Yeah, the author died in 1965, 19 years before the movie was made. We can only hope that his kids have a change of heart, and allow it to be re-released, although it's unlikely.

The series never got officially released in English, with the exception of the first 4 episodes. Someone is currently fansubbing the series, using old Japanese Betamax tapes that recorded it off live TV over 35 years ago. 12 episodes have been fansubbed so far, and there's no guarantee that every episode was recorded, so only time will tell.

Apr 26, 2020 6:14 PM

Aug 2016
Seiya said:
DancingTheBa said:

Yeah, the author died in 1965, 19 years before the movie was made. We can only hope that his kids have a change of heart, and allow it to be re-released, although it's unlikely.

The series never got officially released in English, with the exception of the first 4 episodes. Someone is currently fansubbing the series, using old Japanese Betamax tapes that recorded it off live TV over 35 years ago. 12 episodes have been fansubbed so far, and there's no guarantee that every episode was recorded, so only time will tell.

I doubt that they even remember/care about the series anymore. I think even if they did allow it to be re-released, I believe they wouldn't bother anyway as I don't think many people care about Lensman. Though I don't really know how they deal with lesser known series like Lensman when it comes to re-releasing stuff.

I know that the movie was dubbed into English, so do you know why they just did the movie and 4 episodes? Like did the people releasing it go bankrupt partway through or something?
At least we got 12 episodes, it's better than it being fully lost forever. Maybe if I ever hear that they end up finding/subbing the entire series I'll check it out. Though unless if somebody luckily finds the entire series somewhere I doubt that'll be anytime soon.
Apr 26, 2020 6:30 PM

Jun 2014
DancingTheBa said:
Seiya said:

I doubt that they even remember/care about the series anymore. I think even if they did allow it to be re-released, I believe they wouldn't bother anyway as I don't think many people care about Lensman. Though I don't really know how they deal with lesser known series like Lensman when it comes to re-releasing stuff.

I know that the movie was dubbed into English, so do you know why they just did the movie and 4 episodes? Like did the people releasing it go bankrupt partway through or something?
At least we got 12 episodes, it's better than it being fully lost forever. Maybe if I ever hear that they end up finding/subbing the entire series I'll check it out. Though unless if somebody luckily finds the entire series somewhere I doubt that'll be anytime soon.

Harmony Gold likely only dubbed 4 episodes to see how well it would do before doing the rest, but who knows? They also dubbed the first episode of Dr. Slump, which was never officially released, because they decided against picking the series up. That one dubbed episode is now on Youtube.

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.