Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Aldnoah.Zero Season One
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (13) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »
Jul 5, 2014 9:42 PM
Aug 2011
My body is ready Urobutcher. Let the mass deaths begin!
Jul 5, 2014 9:47 PM

Apr 2007
So let me get this right . . . these spacepeople consider themselves superior beings and a separate race due to them being far-flung descendants, in the words of the princess, "if we go back far enough", of the humans who were on the crews to go to Mars . . . . in the mid-1970s. This great Darwinian leap that coincided with the distant historical rise of disco (which probably never existed in this timeline, thank you butterfly effect.) And anybody over 40 years old was born on earth and still likely has family there.

Forgive me, but I'll be rooting for that well-spoken, calm protagonist boy whose name I haven't learned yet to slam all of their smug asses into the side of the moon that hasn't blown up yet with his magical Marsmech that he'll get soon.

Also, the princess is almost certainly alive. I watched nearly this same scenario play out on an episode of 24: Live Another Day a couple of weeks ago.
Jul 5, 2014 9:48 PM

Jun 2012
Was surprised when I saw the episode count go from 24 to 12, but if it's split-cour then it's alright.

On to the episode, well that was intense to say the least. Really looking forward to what comes next. OST is really good, and an ending by Kalafina can't be wrong in my opinion hehe.
Jul 5, 2014 9:48 PM

Oct 2013
pretty good first episode loved the music at the end will continue watching this :D
Jul 5, 2014 9:57 PM
Dec 2013
Jonesy974 said:

I find it hilarious how absolutely trounced earth got by the martians. Like we are literally nothing to them.

Which is why I'm convinced that a Gundamjack of one of the mecha we saw at the end of the episode is in store. I think it will be Inaho who does it, too.
Jul 5, 2014 10:05 PM
Aug 2011
Getting some Gundam Seed vibes

Inaho = Kira
Slaine = Athrun
Princess Asseylum = Lacus
Inaho's sister = Murrue Ramius
The Lieutenant = Mu La Flaga
Jul 5, 2014 10:06 PM
Jan 2011
Another one of those ET invasion themed animes.
Jul 5, 2014 10:07 PM

Jun 2013
jzmagic said:

Inaho = Kira
Slaine = Athrun

lol what, Inaho is not nearly obnoxious enough to be Kira. I don't see a connection with any of the others, either. Maybe Slaine secretly knows Inaho, then that could make sense. Sort of. I guess.
Jul 5, 2014 10:10 PM

Oct 2007
jzmagic said:

Inaho = Kira
Slaine = Athrun

Maybe Seed Destiny Kira.
Jul 5, 2014 10:19 PM
Aug 2011
ex_necross said:
jzmagic said:

Inaho = Kira
Slaine = Athrun

lol what, Inaho is not nearly obnoxious enough to be Kira. I don't see a connection with any of the others, either. Maybe Slaine secretly knows Inaho, then that could make sense. Sort of. I guess.

I see it as more of the tropes being similar rather than the personalities. Slaine and Asseylum start off the series with a relationship, kind of like Athrun and Lacus (they were engaged).

Inaho's sister will obviously have some kind of thing with the lieutenant. Most likely Inaho will fall under the command of those two.
Jul 5, 2014 10:26 PM
Oct 2012
So what exactly is Urobutcher's role in this show. Is he just credited as Original Creator and just supervising, or does he actually have control of the script?
Jul 5, 2014 10:33 PM
Oct 2010
amehmood16 said:
So what exactly is Urobutcher's role in this show. Is he just credited as Original Creator and just supervising, or does he actually have control of the script?

As far as I can tell he's the original creator and script writer for eps 1-3 then the hentai writer takes over. To be honest, I wish these studios would just stop throwing his name into everything and making it seem like he's fully involved.
Jul 5, 2014 10:46 PM

Jul 2009
skudoops said:
amehmood16 said:

As far as I can tell he's the original creator and script writer for eps 1-3 then the hentai writer takes over. To be honest, I wish these studios would just stop throwing his name into everything and making it seem like he's fully involved.

Who?
Jul 5, 2014 10:50 PM

Nov 2012
wow, this was a pretty good start in the story with some awesome visuals. if the rest of the show continues in this quality this could be really good..
Jul 5, 2014 10:52 PM
Oct 2010
Kurogashi said:
skudoops said:

Who?

http://myanimelist.net/people/7034/Takayama_Katsuhiko
Jul 5, 2014 10:53 PM

Feb 2014
I never knew Urobuchi would start us off with millions of people dying already caught me off really badly

♪All his life has been, a roller coaster ride of dream
No time for looking back, forgetting who or what
His song is all that he leaves behind,
On silent nights I hear him still, whistling a tune I know so well
Gun in hand, rose in another, He's Lupin the 3rd♪

Jul 5, 2014 10:57 PM

Jan 2013
Meh, something to watching during the summer. Way too predictable though on the whole planned attack on the princess to start a war they've been aching for.
Jul 5, 2014 11:13 PM

Feb 2013
Breathtakingly cool. Following this

Jul 5, 2014 11:25 PM
Nov 2008
So Mobile Suit Gundam: Urobuchi version. Not bad at all... Though they got their work cut out for hem if they indeed intend to "surpass Gundam". Topping the likes of Zeta and Victory in the Grimness and Tragedy of warfare is no easy feat.
Jul 5, 2014 11:30 PM

Apr 2010
That was surprisingly good. Looking forward to the next episode.
Jul 5, 2014 11:36 PM

May 2014
Jimb0 said:
I've logged over 200 days worth of watching anime and this is the first time I've ever seen New Orleans in an anime, and then it gets decimated lol. Usually its just LA or NYC that basically represent US cities.

You can't nuke something that was already nuked in the past.
Jul 5, 2014 11:45 PM

Dec 2012
I guess I'd probably be hooked in this one. Great OST.
Jul 5, 2014 11:53 PM

Jul 2013
LOLLL. "there's a missile coming."

Main character doesn't give a fuck.
"Komugi, are you there?"

Jul 5, 2014 11:59 PM
Aug 2013
That was fairly decent with a nice looking bomb explosion at the end. 6/10 for the first episode.
Jul 5, 2014 11:59 PM

Sep 2013
Interesting first episode, really like the OST
Jul 6, 2014 12:04 AM

Oct 2012
Liked this a lot, if anything because Urobuchi didn't wait for a thing to happen before starting his regular butchering.

Also, awesome music.
Jul 6, 2014 12:11 AM

Oct 2007
Zarmyn said:
So Mobile Suit Gundam: Urobuchi version. Not bad at all... Though they got their work cut out for hem if they indeed intend to "surpass Gundam". Topping the likes of Zeta and Victory in the Grimness and Tragedy of warfare is no easy feat.

I'm wondering what exactly their metric for this is supposed to be exactly. I'll just say that I don't watch Gundam just because I expect a lot of character deaths, grimness and carnage. I mean in my younger days I kind of did, but after numerous rewatches of various series over the years it's kind of come to be about a lot more than that and I can keep revisiting it and finding new stuff I never noticed before or seeing a key scene from a different angle. That's the kind of franchise it is, the one that kind of ages with you, so I kind of hope they don't equate "surpassing Gundam" with just things like shocking moments and ham-fisted if exhilarating portrayals of conflict between larger than life characters because if that's the case the series they are looking for is Code Geass not Gundam.
Jul 6, 2014 12:21 AM
Oct 2010
Kaioshin_Sama said:
Zarmyn said:

I'm wondering what exactly their metric for this is supposed to be exactly. I'll just say that I don't watch Gundam just because I expect a lot of character deaths, grimness and carnage. I mean in my younger days I kind of did, but after numerous rewatches of various series over the years it's kind of come to be about a lot more than that and I can keep revisiting it and finding new stuff I never noticed before or seeing a key scene from a different angle. That's the kind of franchise it is, the one that kind of ages with you, so I kind of hope they don't equate "surpassing Gundam" with just things like shocking moments and ham-fisted if exhilarating portrayals of conflict between larger than life characters because if that's the case the series they are looking for is Code Geass not Gundam.

I mentioned it earlier but they have a really good setup with the 37 clans, I hope they do some world building for them and show the political side of having no chain of command for the orbital guard and even show their relation to the empire and emperor himself. It maybe something like warhammer 40k where each chapter operates on their own and the empire having it's own main army which would explain why only 19 out of the 37 ships decided to make a move.

Imo they have a really good setup, would be a shame if they wasted it on mindless carnage and over the top scenes. Now don't get me wrong, I love my carnage and crazy scenes but if they are planning to make this as big as Gundam they need to setup their world and conflict properly.
Jul 6, 2014 12:31 AM

Oct 2007
skudoops said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:

I mentioned it earlier but they have a really good setup with the 37 clans, I hope they do some world building for them and show the political side of having no chain of command for the orbital guard and even show their relation to the empire and emperor himself. It maybe something like warhammer 40k where each chapter operates on their own and the empire having it's own main army which would explain why only 19 out of the 37 ships decided to make a move.

Imo they have a really good setup, would be a shame if they wasted it on mindless carnage and over the top scenes. Now don't get me wrong, I love my carnage and crazy scenes but if they are planning to make this as big as Gundam they need to setup their world and conflict properly.

The setup is fine. I question whether a split cour 24 episode series can carry the gravitas of a full Gundam 50 episode Gundam TV series let alone the sprawling multiple century spanning timeline of U.C Gundam but I think it could definitely function as a good mecha series that would have me anticipating it's entry in Super Robot Wars.

I think the thing that gives me hope is that Knights of Sidonia in only 12 episodes managed to be pretty fantastic and consistently engaging. If that show can manage it I don't see why this show can't. It really depends on whether it wants to actually focus on making the most of it's premise or will just go for the shocker moments. I mean I thought Guilty Crown had an okay if not great setup episode in terms of getting your attention and boy did that go south in an awful hurry in my book at least.
Jul 6, 2014 12:36 AM
Jul 2012
I'm going to bet that at some point(probably 12th episode), they are just going to say that the Princess is actually in another car, and then pull some weird stuff afterwards. Even if this is Gen. Also, I kinda want to watch more, since this 1 episode, feels really incomplete.
Jul 6, 2014 12:37 AM
Jun 2014
i doubt she's dead and i doubt she was in the limo. She probably will come down to earth in her own mecha rather than a armored limo.
Jul 6, 2014 12:54 AM
May 2014
so basically the princess dies in the first episode when shes a main character. dam ths sucks but im pretty sure that she isnt dead but was just used to launch war against japan. my thoughts
Jul 6, 2014 1:04 AM
Jul 2014
Acxelion said:
I'm going to bet that at some point(probably 12th episode), they are just going to say that the Princess is actually in another car, and then pull some weird stuff afterwards. Even if this is Gen. Also, I kinda want to watch more, since this 1 episode, feels really incomplete.

Its almost a given, no one in animes die without a facevalue. When only her back was shown it just added more doubt. Probably Limo Princess was a double.
Jul 6, 2014 1:04 AM

Apr 2008
SKYflare said:
so basically the princess dies in the first episode when shes a main character. dam ths sucks but im pretty sure that she isnt dead but was just used to launch war against japan. my thoughts

I think you meant to say the war against the entirety of EARTH
Jul 6, 2014 1:08 AM

Jul 2013
Yeah.. I bet that princess is a decoy. They didn't even show her face. The attackers are predictably from Mars themselves wanting to start a war.

One thing funny is how their ship landed hard enough to cause a city-wide shock wave yet it's not damaged at all. It was even more baffling that they didn't initiate an evacuation considering it must take quite some time for them to land. The earthlings didn't even try to attack the martians mid-way, considering the US is pretty strict about their air defense this is just plain dumb.

This show can be entertaining but I think it must be watched with the mindset of watching a Hollywood block buster like Pacific Rim where there are a lot of fancy stuffs littered with plot holes.
Jul 6, 2014 1:23 AM

May 2013
Urobutcher style in this anime. Are you kidding me? Please don't kill the Princess.

Overall, there are some parts that are boring for me and oh, hi there Kaori and Yuki's VA from Isshuukan Friends and the MC's VA also voices the MC for Tokyo Ghoul, well well well.

Sawano's music is very impactful in this episode and gotta give props for Mika Kobayashi for singing a OST in this episode.

The showdown between Kajiura and Sawano begins in this season for the OST's
The world shall know the truth soon.
Jul 6, 2014 1:52 AM

May 2012
00:52 dat track

01:28 Kotomine!!

02:24 dat zoomout

11:07 another nice track

16:03 my-pace ftw

18:38 sensou ja!!

Sawano Hiroyuki + Kajiura Yuki + Kalafina = 10/10
9/10 for the ep.
Isayama Hajime should be awarded The Manga with The Highest Inconsistencies of Characters' Appearances.
He keeps performing multiple plastic surgeries on those Shingeki No Kyojin characters in a SINGLE chapter.
Yes, I've read up to the latest chapter of Shingeki No Kyojin manga.
Forced myself to read through the kidsketching chapters after the anime's ended. At least from now on, I only have to go through the hell once a month.
Patiently awaiting SNK TV/movie/OVA anime-sequel.
The 2015 SNK live-action movie would probably suck.
Jul 6, 2014 1:56 AM

May 2013
This wasn't half bad. The destruction part was okay. I guess firing missiles is trending nowadays.

Amarrez said:
AMERICA GOT REKT AFTER INDEPENDENCE DAY

Haha. Good one. That's right. It was 4th of July before this was aired. Haha.
Jul 6, 2014 1:58 AM

Jan 2012
Was quite good for a first episode , there is still a lot of questions that need to be answered. Hopefully they answer most of these as the series goes on.
Jul 6, 2014 2:01 AM
Apr 2013
@ NicoBlade,

It is still a mystery to me why Gen Urobuchi gets the love that he does despite his story-construction and writing style.

A lot of the love, as shown by tons of replies in this thread, comes from the fact that he "kills off characters". WTF?

Then some like him because he "brought back mature action anime" (F/Z), whatever that means, "deconstructed the magical girl anime" (PMMM) or just has interesting ideas (Psycho Pass).

That's all well and good but his characters are, um, I'm looking for the right word here but let's just go with "shit" and his writing style is pretty amateurish, and curiously heavy handed.

But if I were to boil down everything that is wrong with the fact that this guy gets so much love I would say that it is because his writing lacks heart.

Like really badly.

"No Response. The Story is A Corpse" badly.

I can safely say that I had zero plans of watching this UNTIL I read that he'd only be writing 3 episodes!

Hope the other writers turn this show into something amazing, though, because I really like the art-style and want to hear Hiroyuki Sawano's music for this (despite how same-y it's beginning to sound).

The things I've read so far (un-emotive MC, naïve princess, mass deaths, the ironic wish of the kids at the end) will make it hard for me to get through these first three episodes, though, but hopefully the transition from Uro-nonsense to hopefully better writers will be smoother (I'm thinking character development here).
ollythirteenJul 6, 2014 2:12 AM

Jul 6, 2014 2:09 AM
Jan 2014
MoeGod said:
Yeah.. I bet that princess is a decoy. They didn't even show her face. The attackers are predictably from Mars themselves wanting to start a war.

One thing funny is how their ship landed hard enough to cause a city-wide shock wave yet it's not damaged at all. It was even more baffling that they didn't initiate an evacuation considering it must take quite some time for them to land. The earthlings didn't even try to attack the martians mid-way, considering the US is pretty strict about their air defense this is just plain dumb.

This show can be entertaining but I think it must be watched with the mindset of watching a Hollywood block buster like Pacific Rim where there are a lot of fancy stuffs littered with plot holes.

I doubt it was decoy. If it was, that would be plain outlandish. Why would the Martians need such an elaborate ruse to jump the gun? They had implied overwhelming military power compared to Earth and without neighbouring powers to worry about, they can just invade whenever they want without justification whatsoever. I doubt any factions besides the princess cared since the prevailing Martians attitude is they are superior to the Earthlings and look down on them. Besides, it would fit nicely with the historical precedent we have.

I think this is an impressive first episode, love the way they took their time to prop the settings before the explosive final moments. I had shivers from listening to the soundtracks, outstanding! I have good feelings on the coming episodes.
Jul 6, 2014 2:13 AM

Sep 2013
An excellent first episode, as expected from Urobutcher. A lot of exposition, but I got over it. A very gripping start, let's hope it won't end up like Gargantia.
Jul 6, 2014 2:17 AM

Oct 2007
ollythirteen said:
@ NicoBlade,

It is still a mystery to me why Gen Urobuchi gets the love that he does despite his story-construction and writing style.

A lot of the love, as shown by tons of replies in this thread, comes from the fact that he "kills off characters". WTF?

Then some like him because he "brought back mature action anime" (F/Z), whatever that means, "deconstructed the magical girl anime" (PMMM) or just has interesting ideas (Psycho Pass).

That's all well and good but his characters are, um, I'm looking for the right word here but let's just go with "shit" and his writing style is pretty amateurish, and curiously heavy handed.

But if I were to boil down everything that is wrong with the fact that this guy gets so much love I would say that it is because his writing lacks heart.

Like really badly.

"No Response. The Story is A Corpse" badly.

I can safely say that I had zero plans of watching this UNTIL I read that he'd only be writing 3 episodes!

Hope the other writers turn this show into something amazing, though, because I really like the art-style and want to hear Hiroyuki Sawano's music for this (despite how same-y it's beginning to sound).

The things I've read so far (un-emotive MC, naïve princess, mass deaths, the ironic wish of the kids at the end) will make it hard for me to get through these first three episodes, though, but hopefully the transition from Uro-nonsense to hopefully better writers will be smoother (I'm thinking character development here).

I think it's been pretty fairly established that Gen Urobuchi does not do human feeling characters particularly well at all but writes rather writes them around philosophical concepts and ideas to be pitted against each other. As a writing style it's reasonably unique as far as anime goes both for some good and bad reasons.

That said I was actually surprised that he did a little better than usual at least in the first half before we got a face full of super evil Martian overlords, idealistic pacifist princesses getting bombed, and random children that just wish for peace. Some of the interactions with the school cast while a touch awkward mainly thanks to the wooden as hell MC (what's up with Urobuchi and having this type for an MC? Kiritsugu, Ledo and now Inoha or whatever his name was) felt plausible and the colonel guy who fought in the initial conflict actually felt like a plausible character as well that had undergone trying experiences and was motivated by them rather than some sort of hard line and obvious philosophical idea that Gen supplanted having an actual character as mouthpiece for instead.
Jul 6, 2014 2:19 AM

Feb 2014
its quite good so far
Flying without feathers is not easy; my wings have no feathers
Jul 6, 2014 2:29 AM

Apr 2011
From what I've seen, I'm interested. If this show is good enough and I make it through 12epds (Most likely) I pray the 2nd half to be better than Valvrave. the last 3 epds ruined it for me.
Glorious Titties Nuff Said!

Make America Great Again!
Jul 6, 2014 2:40 AM

Sep 2011
I thought it was a pretty good premiere episode

it's pretty obvious the princess didn't die and it was her empire that tired to kill her

For them acting like they are so superior to earth humans, they sure do act like them being hungry for power and what not.. kind of ironic
Jul 6, 2014 2:43 AM

Jul 2014
Did the princess just pull a Euphemia? But why do I sound so surprised? This is Urobutcher after all.
Jul 6, 2014 2:52 AM

May 2014
Eh, rushed as hell, bland MCs, the lieutenant is the obvious mouthpiece for ideals.

Rushed as heeeell, at least for me. So dramatic, yet so little character foundation.
Also the entire 15-year ago conflict just irks me, a society does not forget or forgive war for so little time, even the younger generations are well familiar with the horrors of war.
Jul 6, 2014 2:59 AM
Nov 2013
The visuals and soundtrack were fucking top notch. The last scene was so intense and well done, there's no way the princess is dead (unless we get fucked over by Urobutcher, this is Urobutcher.)

Also, kalafina's opening song was insane. I haven't heard something that angelic and beautiful in a long time. I will play the shit out of that song when I get my hands on it.

Really looking forward to this show, one of my top picks of the season.
Jul 6, 2014 3:12 AM

Dec 2013
Less than 24 hours and we already have 16 pages in this episode thread. Wow... just... wow....

I don't know anything about the "hype" that this show is receiving. For the record I don't really care either. Heck, I just picked it up on a whim, but holy hell hole I just lost my first (and presently only) 9 of the season to it!

Great music, excellent animation, an interesting story and plot, with Characters that aren't inexplicably stupid-but-lucky or unrealistic "Hero's of Justice" types. I can't believe I'm saying this for a Sci-Fi animation, but I can't believe just how real the characters are in this thus far. It reminds me more and more of what they did for Gundam 0083 or Macross Plus.

Epic.... just epic...
I can't wait for the next episode!
HESTIAAPPROVES
Pages (13) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Aldnoah.Zero Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 20, 2014

2123 by Softhenic03 »»
Apr 24, 9:01 PM

Poll: » Aldnoah.Zero Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 13, 2014

319 by Softhenic03 »»
Apr 24, 1:22 PM

Poll: » Aldnoah.Zero Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 6, 2014

474 by Softhenic03 »»
Apr 24, 12:50 PM

Poll: » Aldnoah.Zero Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 30, 2014

837 by Softhenic03 »»
Apr 24, 12:04 PM

Poll: » Aldnoah.Zero Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 23, 2014

715 by Softhenic03 »»
Apr 23, 2:10 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.