Forum Settings
Forums

Best anime to make an "outsider" interested in anime in general?

New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jun 30, 2014 12:43 PM

Apr 2013
Zeally said:
Awakezzz said:

The only problem with using EVA as an entry anime to get people into anime in general is that they will use it as a home base comparison to everything else they watch and probably will end up being disappointing with everything they see afterwards.

That's assuming that everyone who watches it, reveres it. I personally did not like it.

You don't have to like it to see it's influence on other shows. Sure, if it wasn't your kind of thing then it's not like you won't enjoy anything after seeing it, but you can still see parallels and tropes between characters and elements that draw their influence from EVA.
AwakezzzJun 30, 2014 1:03 PM
Jun 30, 2014 12:57 PM

Apr 2013
Zergneedsfood said:
I think this is a problem with almost all anime really, and it just depends on how you branch out. The same could be said for Cowboy Bebop, Ghibli films, Clannad, and various other works where people watched and haven't found anything they liked as much since.

Having favorite anime is bound to happen to everyone with all kinds of shows, so in that regard I definitely agree, and certain shows tend to be well regarded and highly liked by lots of people like Cowboy Bebop. My point had more to do with the influence EVA had on the entire anime seen and how much you can relate it to the anime of today.

For example, I can say with certainty that the anime that got me "into" anime as a fan, was FLCL. I had seen other shows before here and there but it wasn't until I saw FLCL that I understood how good anime could be and how much you could do with it in terms of expression and creativity. But the thing is I can't look at anime today and really relate a lot that I see back to FLCL. I don't really ever see shows with plots/ characters and themes and go hey, that reminds me a lot of FLCL.

But with EVA, I'm constantly watching shows where I can clearly draw references and parallels all over the place because of the influence it had on anime in general. Is it really a good first anime to get people to watch when many characters from shows of today are just carbon copies and characters ripped from EVA? I feel as if it would almost ruin the experience of discovering new shows and characters when you understand that many aren't as original or as new as you would feel otherwise.
Jun 30, 2014 1:26 PM

Apr 2012
Awakezzz said:
Zeally said:

That's assuming that everyone who watches it, reveres it. I personally did not like it.

You don't have to like it to see it's influence on other shows. Sure, if it wasn't your kind of thing then it's not like you won't enjoy anything after seeing it, but you can still see parallels and tropes between characters and elements that draw their influence from EVA.

I still think people are over crediting/ over extrapolating Evangelion. I don't think its influence is as over encompassing as you think it is. Sure it had an impact on the industry namely the psychological anime that came after it (Lain, Text, FLCL, RahXephon, Zegapain, etc), but other than that I think its influences are waning.
Surely you jest when you say you see carbon copies of Shinji, Asuka, and Rei everywhere. They just sound like angsty teens with psychological problems to me; if that's your definition of original. There are better executed characters out there even if they are carbon copies out there.

It is a natural phenomenon to find references/ parallels in other anime. Carbon footprints are inevitable in any type of medium. I don't see how finding influences from other works should deter people from watching other shows o_O.

http://wiki.evageeks.org/Tributes_to_Other_Fiction_in_Neon_Genesis_Evangelion
zzzeallyJun 30, 2014 1:35 PM

Jun 30, 2014 1:34 PM

Jul 2012
Wow okay. No to Evangelion, especially for a Western audience in their teens. Even my friends don't want to touch it because they're too shallow to get into deep and confusing as fuck anime. Plus, the animation is outdated and most new fans like nice graphics and pretty things.
Jun 30, 2014 1:47 PM
Nov 2013
I would suggest things I think are good, but not the best. Also, when is very easy and fast to follow... Anime like Toradora, Death Note, Black Lagoon, Arakawa Under the bridge, Suisei no Gargantia. I would also suggest some movies from time to time.
Jun 30, 2014 1:51 PM

May 2014
Everyone is pretty much right. It really depends on the person and their interest. I got in to anime with shows like Dragon Ball because I enjoyed the action, which led me to watch shows like Naruto when it became big here in the U.S, which led me to watch Bleach at the same time, and then AoT came out and I pretty much got hooked from all sorts of anime at that point.

But a lot of my friends would probably enjoy anime that is already critically acclaimed and widely accepted. Like every Studio Ghibli film. Especially Spirited Away. Actually all my friends and staff at school as well as my family, have watched Spirited away which attracted them to other Studio Ghibli films.

But in my opinion, shonen shows are probably your best bet. They're simple and aren't too complicated or overwhelming to watch. Also someone said they got in to anime by watching Kara no Kyoukai? That's some distinct taste, because I feel like animes like that ARE too overwhelming to streamline people in to watching animes. It's too bizarre and... confusing.
Jun 30, 2014 1:56 PM

Jun 2014
I'd recommend Death Note or FMA Brotherhood.
Jun 30, 2014 1:58 PM

Apr 2013
Zeally said:
I still think people are over crediting/ over extrapolating Evangelion. I don't think its influence is as over encompassing as you think it is. Sure it had an impact on the industry namely the psychological anime that came after it (Lain, Text, FLCL, RahXephon, Zegapain, etc), but other than that I think its influences are waning.
Surely you jest when you say you see carbon copies of Shinji, Asuka, and Rei everywhere. They just sound like angsty teens with psychological problems to me; if that's your definition of original. There are better executed characters out there even if they are carbon copies out there.

It is a natural phenomenon to find references/ parallels in other anime. Carbon footprints are inevitable in any type of medium. I don't see how finding influences from other works should deter people from watching other shows o_O.

I'm not saying people shouldn't watch EVA, I would actually recommend it everyone, I just wouldn't recommend it as a first show to a new anime viewer. And of course you are right, references are common in all types of mediums, but understanding those references is what may take away from the viewing experience of a new show. Of course it always doesn't have to work this way, as some references when done correctly can be positive.

The turnabout though, is that they often can detract from your enjoyment when something feels "copied" or stolen/taken from something else. It removes the feeling of originality and feels cheap, as it is often is done purposefully in order to draw in viewers.

A good example of this I feel is The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzimiya. Don't get me wrong, I loved this show. It's one of my highest rated and the movie was amazing, but to me, Yuki Nagato was literally a carbon copied character of Rei Ayanami in NGE. An emotionless, expressionless, blank slate, inhuman female character who through the efforts and influence of the main character become more emotional and human. If I had never seen NGE before, Yuki might have felt like a new and interesting character and added to my experience for the show, but knowing she was basically Rei implanted into another show detracted from my enjoyment somewhat.

Here I dug this up for clarity, and to give a better idea of exactly what I'm talking about. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ReiAyanamiExpy

So you can see I'm clearly not jesting when I say I see carbon copies everywhere.
AwakezzzJun 30, 2014 2:13 PM
Jun 30, 2014 2:52 PM

Nov 2013
Naruto or one of the 'big three', that's how I was introduced to anime.
Raise it up, raise up the happiness.
Jun 30, 2014 9:17 PM

Mar 2012
LunaticFringe said:

Surely those are the best from starters.
I never seen someone watching DN without failing in love with animes.

Jun 30, 2014 9:20 PM
Jun 2014
For outsider, chibi or moe may not interest them. the best bet is let them watch some sport like ping pong or haikyuu!! and let them infect their mind hehehe (evil laugh)
There is something more vexing than being insulted, humiliated, and abused.

Having a slow internet connection
My time give back my Time T-T
Jun 30, 2014 9:21 PM
Nobody

Jul 2013
FMA is the best one to start them off with
Jun 30, 2014 9:24 PM

Mar 2013
A hentai. Any hentai.

Because what could possibly go wrong.
Mar 2011
ginga ei den
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong

Oct 2013
Monster for sure
The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth

Dec 2012
I got people with Elfen lied, AoT and Kill la kill
Jun 30, 2014 9:25 PM

Dec 2012
Boku no Pico
Jun 30, 2014 9:33 PM
Mar 2011
Link_of_Hyrule said:
Monster for sure

right i rcomend seinen and high art shojou ]manga and get shouted down
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Jun 30, 2014 9:33 PM
Feb 2014
I recommend romance anime, because who doesn't like a romance? 5cm/s is a very visuals can get any person hooked on to anime and with the flurry of emotions that this show can give you, your first timer friend would want more now that he found out how great an anime can be.

I also recommend Anohana because of it's friendship aspect, which everyone can relate to. Plus, it's just 11 episodes so it's not that intimidating compared to 20+ ep anime. Also, it may not be the best but it's easy to follow especially for first timers.
5 Centimeters Per Second - Or what I'd like to call as 5 Anime Wallpapers Per Second.
Jun 30, 2014 9:55 PM

Mar 2012
animundo said:
Boku no Pico

Wut?
Jun 30, 2014 9:58 PM

Jun 2014
SnK , i introduced it to a couple of workmates and they loved it
Jun 30, 2014 10:53 PM

Apr 2013
FGAU1912 said:
Link_of_Hyrule said:
Monster for sure

right i rcomend seinen and high art shojou ]manga and get shouted down

I would actually highly recommend Monster as well but only to an older viewer. For example I would probably recommend it to my friends who are in their twenties as a first anime to watch.

Younger people would probably be better off starting with the typical gateway shounen shows like FMA or any of the big 3.
Jun 30, 2014 11:02 PM

Mar 2014
goldslash said:
LunaticFringe said:

Surely those are the best from starters.
I never seen someone watching DN without falling in love with animes.

raises hands guilty :V
Jun 30, 2014 11:18 PM

Nov 2012
At this point, probably Attack on Titan. It's short enough so that it's tedious. It's got blockbuster style action sequences. A strong soundtrack and good animation (in most episodes) doesn't hurt it either. Characters are passable, but it's not like getting someone into anime requires well written characters; showing them the potential of anime is how you'd do it, and Attack on Titan demonstrates this pretty well in areas that general entertainment seekers are looking for.
Jun 30, 2014 11:30 PM

Dec 2012
Definitely Death Note or Attack on Titan, though it doesn't always guarantee that the person will become more involved with anime. I've met quite a few people who loved Death Note, but never really gave anything else a chance.

Popular shounen such as Naruto sprung to mind as soon as I read the topic title, but those are probably way too long to recommend to a beginner.

Jun 30, 2014 11:37 PM

Nov 2013
Kawaii_Snuffles said:
FMA is the best one to start them off with

Yeah, FMA or any one of the big 3 although for older friends it may seem childish for the big 3.
Raise it up, raise up the happiness.
Jun 30, 2014 11:39 PM

Oct 2012
Oni Chichi: Rebirth
Jun 30, 2014 11:41 PM

Mar 2014
AzuStar said:
Pokemon

seriously, it has everything anime ever.

1 dimension characters, 2D characters, Fighting, ShippingRomance, tentaclesFanservice, Plot, slice of life, Overbearing plot episodic adventures, plot-holes, mascot characters Monsters, shonen protagonist, shojo protagonist, conflicting ideals, cool villains, cool rivals, funny villains, lame rivals, GIANT EYES.

it got everything.

i stand by word unless digimon because Takari 5ever
Jul 1, 2014 12:18 AM

Oct 2013
Attack on titan, death note, and fmab.
Jul 1, 2014 4:24 PM

Nov 2013
If a teenager than Death Note would work fine.
If a person is older or has more of a critical way of thinking Monster should do a better job.
Signature was not removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Tulip & Flower Guidelines.
Jul 1, 2014 5:27 PM
Mar 2011
Temoze said:
If a teenager than Death Note would work fine.
If a person is older or has more of a critical way of thinking Monster should do a better job.

for older people id think the ones iv listed would be good

Jul 1, 2014 6:10 PM

Mar 2012
Naruto and Shingeki no kyojin
物事は良くなりますか ? 
Jul 1, 2014 6:13 PM

Apr 2013
You know thinking about it again.

I would probably recommend Monster to older males and Nana to older females.
Jul 1, 2014 6:19 PM

Jan 2014
A few people I know in my highschool got into anime because of Bleach. For people into sports I probably show them something like KnB, Baby Steps, Ace of Diamond, and Haikyuu. Girls I know are into action/fantasy shows so I'd say something like Magi and Black Butler.

Jul 1, 2014 6:52 PM

May 2014
SnK or Death Note would seem to be logical choices; oddly enough though, I ended up getting people to watch anime not through those but Steins;Gate and Baccano.

Then again, I wasn't trying to convert them to watching anime, I just show them stuff I think is good.
Anyone who doesn't hate anime hasn't watched enough anime.
- Anonymous
Jul 1, 2014 7:11 PM

Aug 2009
hentai_eucli said:
If you had to suggest one anime, to a person, that either has no idea what anime is, or they might have heard about them, but have never seen one, What would that anime be?

-I would probably make them watch Death note. I think its concept would be enough to make someone want to continue, and watch some other stuff from the medium.
-My second choice would probably be SNK just for the reason that it is good enough to make people look into other stuff.

Basically what I'm asking, is If you had to get a person into anime, what anime would be your best bet, to make them interested in the medium?
Explain why.

Depends what genres the person is interested in and whether or not that person likes animation already and I would start that person with dubbed anime. For someone into science fiction I would recommend the first Ghost in the Shell movie, Akira or even Cowboy Bebop.If that person is a fan of ninja or samurai movies I would recommend the Ninja Scroll movie or Samurai Champloo.
Jul 1, 2014 7:30 PM

Sep 2011
Death Note and Brotherhood are pretty safe bets.
Jul 1, 2014 7:32 PM

Aug 2013
Cowboy Bebop, Baccano and anything in my list of anime
Jul 1, 2014 8:06 PM

Jun 2014
I would not suggest Death Note. Yeah, it is pretty good, but it may too good for an anime newcomer.

Some people who watch animes like DN never go on to other anime.
Jul 1, 2014 8:11 PM

May 2008
[b]Moved to Recommendations Board[/b]

I am a banana.
Jul 2, 2014 4:53 AM

Sep 2010
AkatsukiWolf said:
Black Butler.
You got it all wrong. We want to hook a person to anime, not to make filthy fujoshi out of teenage girl.

There is such thing as shit taste. Only idiots think that every "work of art" should have the same value.

Persona anime are good. Deal with it.
Jul 26, 2014 10:08 AM
Jan 2014
It depends on that person's tastes. If they like Sci-fi, Steins;Gate might appeal to them. If they like action, an action anime will appeal to them. But there are people who just think anime are childish. I've found that the best way to get these people into anime is through Cowboy Bebop. It barely is an anime, and it feels more american than japanese. Most people will like good ol' Bebop. Then show them Samurai Champloo, the animation and design styles are very similar, and just stress the fact that it's made by the same guy who made Cowboy Bebop. That will introduce the person to japanese culture.

If everything went according to planned, the person in question knows that Watanabe's works are great, and is more at ease with watching japanese stuff, thanks to Samurai Champloo. Then give them some Zankyou no Terror. It's fast-paced, so they won't get bored while the plot develops and also by Watanabe. But the animation and design are more anime-like, which is usually a major con point for people who are not into anime(yet). That's basically it.
Jul 26, 2014 10:10 AM
May 2011
Berserk
Death note
Code geass
Black lagoon
Steins gate
Attack in titan
Jul 26, 2014 10:11 AM

Jun 2011
I'd say Shingeki no Kyojin, Full Metal Alchemist or Death Note.

My first anime was Kuroshitsuji. Before that, I was not even remotely interested in anime.
Jul 28, 2014 2:26 PM

Sep 2013
I wasn't really interested in anime for a long time but after forcing myself to watch an episode of Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood I'm now addicted

Recommendation: http://myanimelist.net/anime/5114/Fullmetal_Alchemist:_Brotherhood
Even if everyone calls you a liar, even if you hate yourself, I’ll be on your side. — Yuzuriha Inori, Guilty Crown
Blog/Website : http://FallenContract.com
Pinterest :https://uk.pinterest.com/FallenContract/
My Profile : http://myanimelist.net/profile/ExiledKnightmare
Jul 28, 2014 2:28 PM
Mar 2011
any prime time anime avoind lae night otaku bating anime

Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Similar animes to Tengoku Daimakyou ( 1 2 )

Salvaged - Apr 21

72 by traed »»
14 minutes ago

» Girls with guns and knives

LoveYourEyes - Apr 22

5 by Deserada »»
28 minutes ago

» Anime where guy hits girl back

Borito_Uzumaki - May 6, 2017

46 by Smennis »»
1 hour ago

» Anime male character not abused by female characters

EleganteX - Aug 15, 2015

21 by mo_lave »»
2 hours ago

» RomCom Suggestions for someone who's seen a lot of em

Benassiesto - 5 hours ago

4 by Horizon248 »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.