Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
No Matter How I Look at It, It's You Guys' Fault I'm Not Popular!
Available on Manga Store
New
May 4, 2014 5:41 PM

Jan 2013
Your problems are real. Her problems are stupid and exaggerated.

You are a real person. She is a giant joke meant to make people feel like their life is at least better by comparison.

This anime is in no way an expression of what it is like to be socially anxious or to have mental disabilities.

I can't be the only person who finds the people identifying with such an over the top character annoying can I?

Thoughts?
May 4, 2014 5:43 PM

Apr 2013
I agree with you, kinda.

When people say they are just like Tomoko, I assume they are exaggerating. Because if hey aren't, I don't really want to be associated with said person.
May 4, 2014 5:44 PM

Jan 2013
It's like people identifying with Shinji. These are not realistic characters.
May 4, 2014 5:49 PM

Feb 2014
They both have problems which can to related but not as extreme way as they are
Zero Suit Samus/ Meta Knight
M2k
DBZ
May 4, 2014 5:50 PM

Jan 2013
Well in that case I play video games. I'm just like Kirito.
May 6, 2014 1:07 AM

May 2009
SolviteSekai said:

You are a real person. She is a giant joke meant to make people feel like their life is at least better by comparison.

I agree that she may help people feel better, but I wouldn't go so far as calling her a 'giant joke'. A lot of her problem are real, even if they may be shown in a slightly exaggerated fashion (this is fiction, after all).

This anime is in no way an expression of what it is like to be socially anxious or to have mental disabilities.

Not true. There actually are people who are close to being as socially anxious as Tomoko. I've seen some very bad cases, you probably haven't.

I can't be the only person who finds the people identifying with such an over the top character annoying can I?

Why does it bother you so much in the first place?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 7, 2014 9:14 AM

Oct 2010
I can, in the same way I can relate to hundreds of other characters even if they don't live the exact same life I do.
May 7, 2014 10:25 PM

Jan 2013
I relate to her in that I often socially isolated myself when I was younger, it's incredibly painful to watch for that reason.

I am honestly surprised that people hate her so much, sure she has a lot of character flaws, but that doesn't make her a bad person. Its the fact that she is trapped in social isolation that she does such reprehensible things, and that should be a reason to pity her, not to hate her. People who would hate someone like this are the reason people commit suicide, she is deep in a hole and any true hatred will just push her deeper.
I don't have a signature.
May 7, 2014 10:29 PM

Mar 2014
Quit bashing. We may not be exactly like Tomoko, but we understand her pain and can relate to it, atleast somewhat.
"Fuck this shit, fun things are fun!"
May 11, 2014 10:03 AM

Nov 2012
Watamote is still more realistic than NHK.
Aug 9, 2014 4:17 PM

Apr 2014
Why does it even bother you though ? I don't mind people idenifying themselves with characters because it's none of my buisness really. Although I do find it very annoying when people go like "I totally have social anxiety because I only spoke to like 1000000000 people today" because you don't even know what it is if you say that ugh but that's an entierly different thing.
Aug 9, 2014 4:19 PM

Jun 2014
I can relate to her with the ant problem because I used to play with them a lot.
My signature is perfect.
Aug 9, 2014 4:39 PM

Mar 2014
i can actually relate to her thought process in certain situations for example when she wanted to avoid her classmates in the first ep. Although i do agree their over exagerrated.
Aug 10, 2014 12:26 AM

Nov 2011
Nah I pretty much did almost the same things of the same nature as her when I was much younger. The male hormones are a magical thing.
Oct 12, 2014 1:45 PM

Jan 2012
There are a few key differences between her and me. I'm not shy or soft spoken. I can talk to strangers perfectly normal. And I also don't sit around fantasizing about stuff. But the way she keeps thinking things will get better when they don't. When she is constantly alone and miserable. When she has one distant friend who she both loves and hates. That is/was me and I think the fact that I can laugh at myself rather than get offended shows I have grown as a person.
Oct 12, 2014 1:48 PM

Apr 2014
We are similar to each other, but she is a way more extreme case that's kind of pitiful.
Oct 20, 2014 7:39 AM

Oct 2011
SolviteSekai said:
This anime is in no way an expression of what it is like to be socially anxious

I disagree completely. Found it very true to how I felt when I was in school.
Oct 20, 2014 7:44 AM

Aug 2011
Feeling related to her and that she is unrealistic are completely different things.
The fact she's clearly overreacting to everything doesn't mean that someone didn't go through anything similar (even if remotely) before.

In other words, people can relate to her. It's not like if you can decide what people feel related to, you know? lol

kthxbye

» Escapism.

Oct 20, 2014 4:16 PM

Dec 2007
Not all people with social anxiety are the same. People with extreme cases like Tomoko exist. I do think Tomoko is a realistic character. Especially the way she rationalizes everything so that everyone but her looks like a villain in the end.

I can't relate to her as a character but there are individual events where I go "yeah I do that too". I think that's what people mean when they say that she's "just like" them. But I'm sure there are people who can really identify with her too. Although if you really identified with her that would mean you could see your own flaws in her too (like her misguided anger) so you could work towards fixing those .-.
Oct 21, 2014 10:56 AM
Jun 2014
Are you by any chance suffering from SAD? Because I am, and if you are not, don't you ever dare to judge whether this anime is portraying people with social anxiety right or not, because it is.

My problems are almost as ~stupid and exaggerated~ as hers, mind you. Just toned down a /bit/. And I'd not be surprised if there are indeed plenty people out there who are just as pathetic as Tomoko, or even more. Well I even personally knew one duh, someone who had severe social anxiety and ended up going crazy (and died) lol.

That being said, I absoloutely, completely, and perfectly can relate myself to Tomoko. And if you find me annoying then that's your problem, not mine.
Oct 21, 2014 12:05 PM

Apr 2014
I might be socially timid like Tomoko but I'm no where close to thinking hugs call for butt touches.

looket all them demons
oh boy am i scared
i better run

Nov 1, 2014 8:01 AM

Apr 2012
I'm an introvert but not on Tomoko's level. Saying thanks and normal greetings is so easy for me but I'm the same as her when it comes to creating topics to have a conversation going so I can relate on her with that.
Signature removed. Please check your inbox
Nov 1, 2014 8:06 AM

Jul 2011
People who blame their problems on others can relate to her easily
Nov 10, 2014 10:15 AM

Sep 2014
SolvitePriest said:

Thoughts?

I guess tons of people can actually relate to the problems she has. Being lonely, not talking to people and all that. I am in sort of similar situation lately. It's just the action she takes and all her overreactions that aren't really realistic, but that's what makes it a comedy. If someone really wanted to make it completely realistic it could never be funny.
Nov 10, 2014 10:16 AM

Jan 2013
marriage said:
People who blame their problems on others can relate to her easily
Apr 12, 2015 7:10 AM
Aug 2013
ixsetf said:
I relate to her in that I often socially isolated myself when I was younger, it's incredibly painful to watch for that reason.

I am honestly surprised that people hate her so much, sure she has a lot of character flaws, but that doesn't make her a bad person. Its the fact that she is trapped in social isolation that she does such reprehensible things, and that should be a reason to pity her, not to hate her. People who would hate someone like this are the reason people commit suicide, she is deep in a hole and any true hatred will just push her deeper.

She's one of the few anime characters I hate (I don't hate any Code Geass characters, for instance), so I'll take this on. I hate her because I get to know what she thinks, and what she thinks is complete bilge. She's obsessed in the most boring way possible. In real life, I'd ignore her (as I do with most people), but as a main character, she's forced onto me. In real life, I wouldn't hate her, and given that I wouldn't know what she was thinking, I'd probably think that she was okay. I'm more likely to hate this sort of person having watched this show.
Sep 19, 2015 7:17 PM

Apr 2015
Hmmm......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XO8A1liUcGU

Im not bad at english Im just a horrible speller
Sep 26, 2015 1:16 PM

Aug 2014
Many people haven't known true social isolation and that's why they hate her. Her thought process and emotions, at least most of them, are understandable considering her situation.

Oh, pitiful shadow cloaked in darkness.
Thy actions cause men pain and suffering.
Thy hollow soul drowns in thy sins.
How would you like to see what death is like?
-Enma Ai
Nov 4, 2015 12:22 PM

Jul 2015
I can relate .I was not popular for most of my secondary school years and many of the things popular kids did didn't make sense to me until later .The situations were exaggerated yes but they were understandable .
Wohooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Apr 14, 2016 10:08 AM

Apr 2016
I don't particularly relate to her as a person, but to what decisions she makes or what actions she takes and it is her thought process and the awkward situations she's in that make it relatable or understandable. Her situations and actions are exaggerated and almost all genre of anime is guilty of doing that, but that doesn't mean we stop empathizing with the character just because it isn't exactly like how it would go down.

Also, it seems that people who can fully relate to her are socially awkward and/or inept at social situations, so it's something that does happen to them. If you're not socially awkward, how would know what goes on with them and/or in their minds in the first place? While I do agree that most take everything at face value and attribute it to themselves despite being normal or only somewhat awkward, I don't doubt the fact that there are people out there who for valid reasons can relate to her to a high degree if not fully.
bikers123Apr 19, 2016 3:22 AM
Something witty that makes you think I'm funny

Defeating a sandwich only makes it tastier
Apr 18, 2016 6:12 PM

Jul 2014
I don't personally relate to Tomoko, but I have seen people saying that they do.

And then they act like being like her is something to be proud of.
Jan 12, 2017 12:32 PM

Jul 2015
People can relate to her because there are a lot of shy teens who have some trouble landing dates

More topics from this board

» Need help identifying a song

XeroBeat - Apr 26

1 by CatChud »»
Apr 26, 5:35 AM

Poll: » Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui! Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Aug 5, 2013

240 by Thnikkakid »»
Apr 11, 7:56 PM

Poll: » Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui! Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 9, 2013

201 by 5hadow17 »»
Apr 11, 4:27 AM

Poll: » Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui! Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 15, 2013

377 by OpelManta »»
Mar 27, 3:48 PM

Poll: » Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui! Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

rederoin - Jul 8, 2013

653 by OpelManta »»
Mar 27, 3:26 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.