Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
No Game No Life (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (11) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Apr 16, 2014 7:11 PM

Nov 2013
I'm incredibly confused about the beginning - why did Stephanie lose and blame him for it if he did tell her last episode that her opponent was cheating? What happened here?

Aside from that, the rest of the episode is amazing! Top tier here with Black Bullet!
Apr 16, 2014 7:15 PM
Jul 2013
LOL

MY LITTLE FAVOUR IS TO...
FALL IN LOVE WITH ME
Apr 16, 2014 7:18 PM

Jan 2013
WRRRRRYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
Please check my music out on SoundCloud! There's something for everyone.

Apr 16, 2014 7:22 PM
Nov 2013
hahah that was a funny and cute episode can't wait for the next one.. really on my list to watch
Apr 16, 2014 7:30 PM
Jun 2013
Hahaha omg this is like actually such a great blend of comedy and seriousness xD
Apr 16, 2014 7:33 PM

Jan 2014
in a way sora is like lelouch but on a much smaller scale
Wanna listen to some good OP/ED songs? Head over to my profile!
Apr 16, 2014 7:36 PM

Mar 2010
Next episode please. The anime is now caught up with the manga... Can't wait...
Apr 16, 2014 7:36 PM

Jun 2013
This anime is awesome!

Wryyyyyy/5!
Apr 16, 2014 7:46 PM
Oct 2012
A problem with shows like this and Mahouka is that there is so much description that has to occur to understand the world setting that it can become boring in an animation. This is one of the challenges that animators have to do when they take a good world and covert it to visuals.

This show has done a good job at explaining things without becoming too much like someone reciting a laundry list. Note that they have now gone over the important "rules" of this world twice. They even had Steph explain a lot about the various races and the background to the stories.

Very very efficient. The use of Janken should how absolute those rules are, Steph fell in love with the MC because of them, even while she was trying to fight against it. That was another bit of world explanation done with a light touch.

Another thing I like is how the make very unhealthy relationships healthy. Sora and Shiro could easy become too creepy, but they clearly showed that Sora is not interested in that way, and that Shiro really has no issues with Sora also being with Steph (even going as far as forcing their relationship with that kick and video).

Sora and Steph's relationship could have been disgusting (she HAS to fall in love with him, which would be nothing less than a form of rape), but they quickly showed that she was naturally falling in love with him as a person whom has virtues she admires (and that Sora wouldn't abuse his relationship with her).

They also made it clear that Steph, while naturally and initially being put off by the siblings relationship, in the end completely got it (small touch, in Stephovision Shiro becomes increasingly more positive) and where she fits into their relationship (they have a bond based on their genius that she can not touch, but that she can become's Sora's lover as long as she understands that she is also Shiro's sister).

Not sure how well this is explained in the novels, but the animators have done a very fine job at setting up the situation that now they can focus on the main card: the games.

So compliments both to the writer and to the staff of the animation.
Apr 16, 2014 7:57 PM
Oct 2012
xxdeathx said:
I'm incredibly confused about the beginning - why did Stephanie lose and blame him for it if he did tell her last episode that her opponent was cheating? What happened here?

That is easy. In this world it isn't enough to know that your opponent is cheating, you have to prove it. So in her case, when Sora told her that her opponent was cheating it did nothing to help her because she could not prove that was the case. So not only did she lose, but she lost knowing WHY she had lost.

Sora could have exposed the other person and Steph would have won, that was why she blamed him.
However Sora was correct that it did not matter. Steph, because she knew that humans suck in magic, went into the match expecting to lose, and consequently she lost. So ultimately the blame was with her, and she was only trying to make herself feel better by blaming Sora.

The point of the Janken match wasn't that Sora actually won the game, but through the game he taught her that she would have lost the poker match even if the other person didn't cheat. That was why Sora "won" even though he actually didn't according to the rules he established (why he won was because she as he said, was so predictable that he could manipulate her to victory). Steph confessed defeat because she recognized the validity of Sora's lesson (and because she thought all she would lose was providing some lodging, but then Sora gave her another valid lesson).

This also explains why, in spite of her having to accept her vow, she personally has started to fall in love with Sora: she recognizes that he can play games far beyond her level. In this world that is infinitely more appealing than being the captain of a high school football team or having a cool car. Winning games makes you godlike.

In my post above I complimented the writer and staff for being efficient, this is another example. I am really looking forward to what happens next because if they can maintain this level of efficiency this will be an incredible ride.
Apr 16, 2014 7:57 PM

Apr 2009
Well said Takuan_Soho.
Apr 16, 2014 8:01 PM

May 2012
03:06 "Ai Rabu Jinrui" tee

09:36 dat A

09:41 LOOOL

7/10 for this ep.
Nice ED.
Isayama Hajime should be awarded The Manga with The Highest Inconsistencies of Characters' Appearances.
He keeps performing multiple plastic surgeries on those Shingeki No Kyojin characters in a SINGLE chapter.
Yes, I've read up to the latest chapter of Shingeki No Kyojin manga.
Forced myself to read through the kidsketching chapters after the anime's ended. At least from now on, I only have to go through the hell once a month.
Patiently awaiting SNK TV/movie/OVA anime-sequel.
The 2015 SNK live-action movie would probably suck.
Apr 16, 2014 8:05 PM

May 2013
There's a lot of headbutt scenes there and talk about Sora being perverted without Shiro noticing. Sooo excited when he becomes a King.
The world shall know the truth soon.
Apr 16, 2014 8:07 PM

Jan 2014
Love this concept of playing a game for value.
Rock-paper-scissor, never thought I'd get right into it and try to predict what the 'right move' wouldve been to beat Sora.
Steph fighting against her will, was the highlight for me.

Apr 16, 2014 8:12 PM

May 2013
A mere game of rock-paper-scissors can change ones life. lol
It's very entertaining.
Apr 16, 2014 8:15 PM
Oct 2012
NeverWinning said:
Rock-paper-scissor, never thought I'd get right into it and try to predict what the 'right move' wouldve been to beat Sora.

You know, Rock/Paper is really a game of skill more than a mere game of luck, I know this sounds like BS, but I can spot read people and have a 80% winning record (this may not seem like much, but based solely on odds I should be at 50%).

Basically aggressive people tend to go for stone, passive people do paper, and people who think they are smart go for scissors. If you can spot the personality type, you can generally win. The people you have to worry about are those able to do self reflection. Fortunately that is not a general skill.
Apr 16, 2014 8:22 PM

Aug 2013
OMG THIS EP WAS SO FUNNY XD
WHEN STEPH BANGS HER HEAD HAHAHA
AND WHEN THE SIBLINGS WRE APART HAHAHAHA
Went by so fast D:
☆*:.。. o(≧▽≦)o .。.:*☆

"There is something in this world that no one has ever seen before. It is gentle and sweet. Maybe if it could be seen, everyone would fight over it. That is why the world hid it, so that no one could get their hands on it so easily. However, someday, someone will find it. The person who deserves it the most will definitely find it. "
— Aisaka Taiga and Takasu Ryuuji
Apr 16, 2014 8:24 PM

Aug 2012
So far so good
Apr 16, 2014 8:39 PM
Nov 2013
First episode was a 5/10 or 4/10 for me. Can't believe I was expecting something from this crap, now I see how shitty the anime really is. Well, it's a shame.
Apr 16, 2014 8:48 PM

Aug 2013
I really really liked that. I LOVED the rock-paper-scizzors thing. I love the strategy behind that. I love seeing complicated strategy, similar to Mirai Nikki. In addition, the soundtrack is AMAZING, and so is the artwork.
Apr 16, 2014 8:50 PM
Dec 2011
rather than some crazy brilliant strategy didn't he just tell her that he was going to play paper so she would play scissors and get crushed with a rock? Am i missing something here? This anime might just get dropped for being that dumb. Or am I the dumb one?
Apr 16, 2014 9:08 PM

Mar 2014
Very entertaining. Steph is colorful and has some good analytical skills to back her up. Sora is one of my favorites for this show so far. I love a magnificent jerk who's good at manipulation.
Apr 16, 2014 9:10 PM
Mar 2014
Good episode cant wait till Sora becomes king and what game he will play to get the crown.

& Shiro "Praise me more" LOL
Apr 16, 2014 9:13 PM

Jul 2010
Dat JoJo reference.
Anyway, fuck off with all those colors Madhouse. I liked everything from this episode except the fanservice but that's fine. Sora is growing in me as a character, instead I can't like Shiro yet, just way too generic atm.

Also, I really liked those intermission sounds after the major dialogues, more like ZWAAAMP or SWIIIIIIISH. They almost feel like what DP uses for JoJo.
Apr 16, 2014 9:16 PM

Jan 2014
Takuan_Soho said:
NeverWinning said:

You know, Rock/Paper is really a game of skill more than a mere game of luck, I know this sounds like BS, but I can spot read people and have a 80% winning record (this may not seem like much, but based solely on odds I should be at 50%).

Basically aggressive people tend to go for stone, passive people do paper, and people who think they are smart go for scissors. If you can spot the personality type, you can generally win. The people you have to worry about are those able to do self reflection. Fortunately that is not a general skill.

It's amazing what having a sharp observation on people can really do for you. That rock-paper-scissor showed it in a straight forward manner. Although I've never taken the game in a seriously since I never had to play rock-paper-scissor for a high-stake but giving some thought to your theory, I have realised a mate will almost always play rock in the first round of 3 (He's an impulsive/aggressive when it comes to games or sports).

The series is fun to say the least, and having to exploit your opponents psychological side to gain a competitive advantage is what made me enjoy this anime so far.

Apr 16, 2014 9:29 PM

Nov 2013
It is pretty weird so far. And there is soooo much unnecessary and strange fan service….I have no idea why it is so highly ranked on this site right now.
Apr 16, 2014 9:33 PM

Dec 2010
Not a bad episode! We see some plot creeping in, and we have some super intense mind games that took me forever to get through because I was trying to figure it out! xD

There's finally more of an idea of where the series is going to go, and I think I'm liking it! Although, its probably the weakest show I'm watching this season, so far. But that doesn't mean its bad by any means, we've just got lots of good shows this season!

thisguy2011 said:
rather than some crazy brilliant strategy didn't he just tell her that he was going to play paper so she would play scissors and get crushed with a rock? Am i missing something here? This anime might just get dropped for being that dumb. Or am I the dumb one?

He told her he was going to do rock, but he opened up the possibility of doing any other move, because if he chose something besides paper he would lose, but if she chose something that was weak to anything but paper, and he chose something besides paper, they would tie, and he'd still get what he wanted. There's a lot more to it than just forcing her to pick scissors.
cyclone1993Apr 16, 2014 9:37 PM
Apr 16, 2014 9:38 PM

Apr 2014
It was ok the only problem is the fan service. I think they over do it a little. But still the episode is good.
"All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."
-Winston Churchill
Apr 16, 2014 9:46 PM
Oct 2012
NeverWinning said:
It's amazing what having a sharp observation on people can really do for you. That rock-paper-scissor showed it in a straight forward manner. Although I've never taken the game in a seriously since I never had to play rock-paper-scissor for a high-stake

Paper rock scissors is called Janken in Japanese, and the Japanese use it to decide so many things that it really helps to be good at it.

Outside of the basic paper rock move a lot of these games in Japan have the "aichi mude hoi" variation (basically whoever wins at paper rock will immediately move into the next round where they stick a finger in the face of the loser and move their finger in one of 4 directions, but the loser has to turn their head at the moment the person say "aichi mude HOI!" (i.e. it should be at the same second as the point), if the loser follows the finger they lose, if not they go back to the Janken round.

Watching this go on for several rounds without a moment's pause is really worth the price of admission, my skill at the game came about because I used to just watch people and from there just learned the archetypes.
Apr 16, 2014 9:58 PM

Nov 2013
NanoZero said:
The first half was annoying and sucked. Second half was much better. The rock paper scissors game was really not that clever, but tried its hardest to be. Some explanations on the fantasy world were helpful, so we know there's a hierarchy going on here.

I'll watch the next episode since it's the big game to determine to king. Sora's obviously going to win, so I feel it'll be a bit anticlimactic.

No Game No Life's sure to be one of the most hyped series this season, if not the most hyped.
I honestly stopped paying attention to the RPS game about 20 seconds in before it went in to total mind fuck mode. The second half was a lot more relaxed and my type of deal. Good episode though 4/5

Apr 16, 2014 10:03 PM

Apr 2010
198th?! Are you kidding me MAL?! I admit that at the end of the episode it got a little better, but so far these two episodes haven't been THAT good, in fact this one was even boring in the first half.

Loved the WRYYYYYYYY tho

"Can you feel that hybrid rainbow?"
Apr 16, 2014 10:06 PM

Nov 2013
Kimono_Kitsune said:
Whoa, this was incredibly hard to finish...
It got bearable in the 2nd half though.
The comedy, overanalyzing of the RPS scene only to get trolled by Sora, and headsmashing got hard to bear

Apr 16, 2014 10:17 PM

Jul 2013
This could end up my favorite show for this season. Everything just flows so nicely together and I'm loving the mind games.
Blindwolf Anime <- My Blog
Apr 16, 2014 10:27 PM

Dec 2013
As expected of a show I've already 10'ed from the get-go. The epic-ness begins to build up from this point onwards.

I love how they animated Steph being force-dere'ed! That part where Shiro couldnn't see Sora behind the door..... Wrrrryyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!

For those who still doubt the epic-ness of this show, keep watching. Things get even better!

Can't wait till the next episode already!
HESTIAAPPROVES
Apr 16, 2014 10:35 PM

Jan 2014
Interesting episode, I first though Sora was a dick, but he practically the internet personified, rude and brash on the outside, but sweet and caring on the inside
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 16, 2014 10:48 PM
Nov 2013
Shiro is so adorable, finally another loli I don't hate <3. The siblings interactions are very funny and I already love Stephanie because Yoko Hikasa. Silly first half, interesting second half. Sora was bound to become King anyway, can't wait to see it happen.
Apr 16, 2014 10:54 PM

Apr 2013
Great episode, I really like this series.
Apr 16, 2014 11:27 PM

Apr 2013
next episode! WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!
Apr 17, 2014 12:07 AM

May 2012
I'm definitely enjoying these episodes. The art especially is gorgeous. I can't wait to see what this has in store for us in the future.

Steph is kind of a perfect character for this show.
Apr 17, 2014 12:19 AM

Jan 2011
Sora was SO fapping in the bathing scene on that photo Shiro took when he was groping Stephanie :D
Hilarious, instant 8/10, lets hope it keeps up :)
Apr 17, 2014 12:43 AM

Jul 2013
Constantly lol'ed when Steph was banging her head against walls. And 'Steph vision' and also her voice while all that was happening XD
Apr 17, 2014 12:44 AM
Mar 2014
There's awesome fanservice like in Bakemonogatari, and shitty fanservice like in... Well, I don't want to insult anyone, but insert your generic cliche harem anime here.

NGNL isn't quite as awesome, but at least it's more creative than "guy accidentally walks in on a girl changing and gets punched" or "guy trips and accidentally gropes girl's boobs*".

*In NGNL he didn't trip, but was kicked by his sister. That's what I call innovation!
Apr 17, 2014 1:08 AM
May 2012
there is no better plot than trying to be a king
Ezsence
Apr 17, 2014 1:22 AM

Jun 2013
LOL @ Steph banging her head on walls and floors

Another awesome episode. Totally love the trust and bond that Shiro and Sora has, it's too cute.

"I'll become the king"

It's time.
Apr 17, 2014 1:25 AM
Oct 2013
Well I am starting to enjoy this anime. The details of the story is meh but I like its funny moments. I hope it gets better.
Apr 17, 2014 1:50 AM

Jul 2012
Man madhouse will swim in money now. This is pure win.

It's like the first good show in years Madhouse has done and I'm pretty happy with it.
Fanservice is nice, jokes are funny, it already has an interesting goal and cool mind games.

5/5 ep
I am falling, I am fading, I am drowning, help me to breathe.
Apr 17, 2014 2:06 AM

Dec 2013
Great episode. This is shaping up to be one of the best AOTS. Really loving the mind-games and word-play going on here. The Janken game was brilliant, he completely screwed her no matter what she did and she had no choice but to accept it. I have a feeling Steph will be a great character.

Once again Shiro proves herself as best loli of the season. KAWAIIIIIIIIIIII!

Can't wait for the next episode.
Odds are I'm not going to find my way back to a thread after my first post, it happens on occasion but not often. So, if I say something that offends you and you feel the need to force your opinion on me because obviously everyone should have your opinion or none at all, feel free to post it in the thread that I'll probably never see again. However, if you are interested in intelligent discourse, feel free to message me.
Apr 17, 2014 2:26 AM
Dec 2012
I just watch it again! It is so epic that I need to watch it at least two times. I will probably have a re-watch marathon of the whole season when it ends :)

Every silly little bit, every mind or game trick Sora uses, everything is so godly done in this series.

Still this echo is the spotlight of the episode:
"Fall ...
... in love with me!!!
... in love with me!!!
... in love with me!!!"

Can't wait to see how will they animate the epic show down between Sora and Kurami! Episode 3 is to freaking far away ...

As for those which don't know the author of the LN and manga, Kamiya Yuu is heavily involved in the making of the anime, which means that any differences between the anime and the other two should be taken as allowed by Yuu-sensei.

I also noticed that those rare people which don't find the episode(s) nice or:

1. Complain about fan service - but why did they then watch a 17+ ecchi anime in the first place? If it is 17+ it can be only almost nude fan service or crazy amounts of brutal blood baths - and the tags include games and ecchi AKA you must expect fan service.

2. Don't give a clear or any reason at all for not liking it.

Until later then and keep in mind that I am a No Game No Life fan 4 life!
Apr 17, 2014 2:59 AM

Jun 2008
Caleb8980 said:
-MgZ_ said:
So good... Every Anime that has a good MC will always be good. When will the others learn?!

Dat mind games janken...

The ecchi in this series is good. Not too excessive.

Steph is hot, glad that hiyocchi is voicing her.

Mr.Steam why do you even exist?

A badass and hilarious episode overall. Can't wait for the next episode.
Ineptia said:
His demand was "fall in love with me?" Something so transient and vague was somehow made into an absolute, but I suppose that is the power of being the main character.

Also, he's the one who suggested to play a game so why was he allowed to make the rules, or did she just randomly forfeit that right, including the conditions for winning and losing? But the real problem with the game to me was the implicit understanding that she would take the bluff seriously, when it wasn't a "rule" for him to play paper.

I don't understand this part too. Did he really made the rule or Steph was just forced to accept the rule because she is dumb? It makes sense that he didn't follow the him using only paper rule because the challenged player was only the one that can decide the rules from what I can remember...

In this world everything you bet on becomes reality, so the moment he said that Steph should fall in love with him, she literally did that; even against her own will. The stephascope-vision was there to show this. The moment she would think something like "I don't like/love him at all" that vision would spring into action and change her way of thinking until she got control back ;-)

Although for the people who watched closer, they already saw the major flaw Sora didn't realize while stating his condition for Steph ;-)

Only things that are possible can become reality. In the LN, there's a part, where, in order to be able to go in to the baths with the girls, without any issues, Sora bets, that if he wins (or loses, IDR), he'll turn into a girl, which doesn't happen.
Apr 17, 2014 3:03 AM

Apr 2010
Hisio said:
DAT OPENING DAT OPENING .... >.<

^
Pages (11) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » No Game No Life Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Cheesekao - Jun 25, 2014

1022 by NoFaceCastle »»
May 3, 11:14 PM

Poll: » No Game No Life Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 9, 2014

623 by hsallrounder »»
Apr 28, 5:41 AM

» No Game No Life’s Original Creator Pleads For A Second Season Of The Anime ( 1 2 )

deg - Apr 10

58 by Animeistaken »»
Apr 24, 8:33 AM

Poll: » No Game No Life Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 18, 2014

476 by FarCritical »»
Apr 22, 2:47 PM

» Your wishes for this april fool

Hickykissy - Mar 31

16 by sloth848 »»
Apr 19, 8:52 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.