New
Live a life with no pain
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Mar 29, 2014 7:25 AM
Nov 2008
Tachii said:
Heredity said:
Aylaine said:

No. First and foremost, feeling pain is a clear sign that I'm alive. Secondly, I'm a masochist. So pain to me is also pleasurable for me. Third, no pain would cause people to ignore hazardous situations that a normal person would know better to avoid, since they've felt the pain that encompasses said situations. It wouldn't be long before someone does an impossible stunt, transforming their life into a pool of crimson regret.
it sounds like you discount basic human intelligence, really.

there are better reasons relating to disease if you want to argue in favour of having pain.
There's a reason people with the genetic disorder of not feeling any pain don't last long. If they don't know what pain is, they cannot learn the necessity to avoid it. It has barely nothing to do with basic human intelligence. They either need to live in a completely sheltered life or is completely obedient and remember what something is painful even though they have no idea what pain is. That's asking more than a lot than basic intelligence.
my point still stands.

article said:
As you can imagine, Congenital insensitivity to pain is very serious. The reason few people with this don't live to be 25 is because they often catch a simple illness as most people do throughout the course of their life, but since they cannot feel it, they cannot notify anyone and cannot get the proper treatment.
i can tell someone that a cut can lead to blood loss or infection if they can't feel pain. i can't tell them about how to recognise a headache or a stomach cramp.
Mar 29, 2014 7:55 AM

Feb 2013
Nope pain is there for a reason. What I don't want is a world of extremes, like pain all the time (fibromyalgia-ish) or no pain at all (numb and unfeeling).
Mar 29, 2014 8:19 AM

Oct 2013
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Pain lets me know I am alive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On a serious note. I would like NOT to have pain. The type of shit I could get away with would be insane.
Mar 29, 2014 8:29 AM

Aug 2012
No. But look:

Everyone saying "pain makes me feel alive" is an idiot.

Everyone saying that wants to live a life without feeling any pain probably didn't spend a single minute thinking about it as well. I have seen some documentaries about people that can't feel anything (you can't simply not feel pain, you must not feel ANYTHING at all, losing tact) and it is terrible. The girl said she needs an alarm clock to tell her when to go to the bathroom. She needs to do a check-up everytime she wakes up. Going to the medic every week. It is a terrible life. We need pain. While some people think that pain is an enemy, it is actually our ally; it warns us about something that is harming our body.

Now, if I had the option to choose a life where there would be no CONDITIONS where I would feel pain, then I would take it. But losing tact is not interesting for me.
Mar 29, 2014 8:37 AM

Oct 2013
lupadim said:
No. But look:

Everyone saying that wants to live a life without feeling any pain probably didn't spend a single minute thinking about it as well. I have seen some documentaries about people that can't feel anything (you can't simply not feel pain, you must not feel ANYTHING at all, losing tact) and it is terrible. The girl said she needs an alarm clock to tell her when to go to the bathroom. She needs to do a check-up everytime she wakes up. Going to the medic every week. It is a terrible life. We need pain. While some people think that pain is an enemy, it is actually our ally; it warns us about something that is harming our body.

Now, if I had the option to choose a life where there would be no CONDITIONS where I would feel pain, then I would take it. But losing tact is not interesting for me.
lupadim said:
No. But look:

id·i·ot
ˈidēət/Submit
nouninformal
noun: idiot; plural noun: idiots
a stupid person.
synonyms: fool, ass, halfwit, dunce, dolt, ignoramus, cretin, moron, imbecile, simpleton; More
antonyms: genius
MEDICINEarchaic
a mentally handicapped person.
Origin
Middle English (denoting a person of low intelligence): via Old French from Latin idiota ‘ignorant person,’ from Greek idiōtēs ‘private person, layman, ignorant person,’ from idios ‘own, private.’
Mar 29, 2014 8:38 AM

Apr 2011
Both, yes and no. Pain is a pain in the ass. It's difficult to do shit when something's hurting... but that same hurting also tells me that something is wrong and allows me to take measures to keep it from getting hurt anymore. As big a pain that feeling pain is, it's still a necessity as it is a signal from the brain that something's wrong with your body.
Mar 29, 2014 8:39 AM

Aug 2012
Fierce_Deity22 said:
id·i·ot
ˈidēət/Submit
nouninformal
noun: idiot; plural noun: idiots
a stupid person.
synonyms: fool, ass, halfwit, dunce, dolt, ignoramus, cretin, moron, imbecile, simpleton; More
antonyms: genius
MEDICINEarchaic
a mentally handicapped person.
Origin
Middle English (denoting a person of low intelligence): via Old French from Latin idiota ‘ignorant person,’ from Greek idiōtēs ‘private person, layman, ignorant person,’ from idios ‘own, private.’

Let me choose the synonyms: Fool, naive, ignorant
Mar 29, 2014 11:19 AM

Jun 2008
Heredity said:
Tachii said:
Heredity said:
Aylaine said:

No. First and foremost, feeling pain is a clear sign that I'm alive. Secondly, I'm a masochist. So pain to me is also pleasurable for me. Third, no pain would cause people to ignore hazardous situations that a normal person would know better to avoid, since they've felt the pain that encompasses said situations. It wouldn't be long before someone does an impossible stunt, transforming their life into a pool of crimson regret.

there are better reasons relating to disease if you want to argue in favour of having pain.
There's a reason people with the genetic disorder of not feeling any pain don't last long. If they don't know what pain is, they cannot learn the necessity to avoid it. It has barely nothing to do with basic human intelligence. They either need to live in a completely sheltered life or is completely obedient and remember what something is painful even though they have no idea what pain is. That's asking more than a lot than basic intelligence.
my point still stands.

article said:
As you can imagine, Congenital insensitivity to pain is very serious. The reason few people with this don't live to be 25 is because they often catch a simple illness as most people do throughout the course of their life, but since they cannot feel it, they cannot notify anyone and cannot get the proper treatment.
i can tell someone that a cut can lead to blood loss or infection if they can't feel pain. i can't tell them about how to recognise a headache or a stomach cramp.
And a child who doesn't know blood loss or infection as painful won't be able to recognize it as dangerous. The fact this article mentions: "They constantly have to be inspected to make sure that nothing is bleeding or otherwise wrong." indicates their "basic intelligence" is not sufficient. It makes the implication that someone else need to observe blood loss because we can't expect the child's "basic intelligence" to understand that blood loss is an issue. Your article seems more in line with what I commented on:
"They either need to live in a completely sheltered life or is completely obedient and remember what something is painful even though they have no idea what pain is. That's asking more than a lot than basic intelligence."

tl;dr My point is that a person's physical experience (ie pain) will make it perfectly clear why blood loss is dangerous. I'm not saying they're stupid or lacks basic intelligence, but even telling them how blood loss -> death will be an abstract concept for them. When it comes to concepts that's alien and abstract to them, it should require more than basic intelligence to understand. This is especially important when it comes to teaching children, as well.
TachiiMar 29, 2014 11:30 AM
Mar 29, 2014 2:05 PM

Dec 2013
We need pain, without it we wouldn't appreciate the good things in life.
Immahnoob said:
They say Jesus walked on water.
People are made out of 79% water.
I can walk on people.
So I am 79% Jesus.
Sourire said:
I once fucked an apple pie.
Mar 29, 2014 2:38 PM
Jan 2014
lupadim said:

Elaborate kind lupadim. I'm trully interested to see your reasoning behind this statement.
idkwhatthisisMar 29, 2014 2:42 PM
Mar 29, 2014 4:47 PM

Aug 2009
Oh no, I saw a person like that in the House series. She didn't even notice when she broke a bone. I wouldn't want to be like that, it's very dangerous. You could be in a life-threatening condition and you would have no idea.
Mar 29, 2014 7:22 PM

Jan 2013
There is a reason that millions of years of evolution gave us pain receptors. Jus' Be Sayin'
Mar 29, 2014 7:25 PM

Dec 2012
"Master Chief John Urgayle: Pain is your friend, your ally, it will tell you when you are seriously injured, it will keep you awake and angry, and remind you to finish the job and get the hell home. But you know the best thing about pain?
Lt. Jordan O'Neil: Don't know!
Master Chief John Urgayle: It lets you know you're not dead yet!"
Mar 29, 2014 7:31 PM
Dec 2013
It's a no from me.
Mar 29, 2014 7:32 PM

Apr 2013
Physical pain?

Well, without it, I won't know what kills me in the end.
Just need to find out how to quote this every time so I can dodge the stupid 30-character limit.
Mar 29, 2014 7:35 PM

Aug 2012
Endycia said:
lupadim said:

Elaborate kind lupadim. I'm trully interested to see your reasoning behind this statement.
They didn't put even a single second of thought on that. They simply answered without even considering the other possibilities. They never in their life ever even considered if pain was really the evil thing or not.
Mar 29, 2014 7:47 PM
Jan 2014
lupadim said:
Endycia said:
lupadim said:

They didn't put even a single second of thought on that. They simply answered without even considering the other possibilities. They never in their life ever even considered if pain was really the evil thing or not.

Well maybe they did not feel like explaining, I can assure you that pain makes me feel alive, it really isn't easy to explain for me at least but trully it's just something that when you are deep down in slums feel. Sometimes pain can be the only thing that you can feel ( this sounds so fucking depressing).
Mar 29, 2014 8:03 PM
Nov 2008
Tachii said:
Heredity said:
Tachii said:
Heredity said:
Aylaine said:

my point still stands.

article said:
And a child who doesn't know blood loss or infection as painful won't be able to recognize it as dangerous. The fact this article mentions: "They constantly have to be inspected to make sure that nothing is bleeding or otherwise wrong." indicates their "basic intelligence" is not sufficient. It makes the implication that someone else need to observe blood loss because we can't expect the child's "basic intelligence" to understand that blood loss is an issue. Your article seems more in line with what I commented on:
"They either need to live in a completely sheltered life or is completely obedient and remember what something is painful even though they have no idea what pain is. That's asking more than a lot than basic intelligence."

tl;dr My point is that a person's physical experience (ie pain) will make it perfectly clear why blood loss is dangerous. I'm not saying they're stupid or lacks basic intelligence, but even telling them how blood loss -> death will be an abstract concept for them. When it comes to concepts that's alien and abstract to them, it should require more than basic intelligence to understand. This is especially important when it comes to teaching children, as well.
hey, get this: have you considered that there are part of your body you can't check visually? unless you can properly contort yourself, of course you are going to need to be checked constantly.

these people have a serious problem, this doesn't mean they're stupid. besides: how can you contradict yourself by going from asserting they lack basic intelligence to saying they're not stupid? that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. the article isn't in line with any of your comments as the article concludes the exact opposite to what you conclude - you can't cherrypick evidence and say it supports you because of that.

besides, death is an abstract concept for a child regardless. that's exactly why you educate them about what actions will result in such consequences, regardless of if they have the condition or not. you can't argue the intelligence of a child when we were just talking about people in general.

people who cannot feel pain die because of basic diseases and illnesses we can easily spot, not physical wounds. can you show me otherwise?
Mar 29, 2014 9:22 PM
Jul 2018
Heredity said:

It's difficult to count it when people's actions harm themselves or others, regardless of basic human intelligence. You know? Removing the ability to feel pain would only lead to people acting more reckless, since intelligence alone surely is not enough to deter people from harming themselves.
Mar 29, 2014 9:24 PM

Jun 2008
Heredity said:
I think we have a communication barrier here. I didn't say they lack basic intelligence nor did I say they were stupid. Also the article do support some of my statements rather than contradicting everything I've said. Either way, I don't think this is going anywhere so I'll drop it.
TachiiMar 29, 2014 9:30 PM
Mar 29, 2014 10:23 PM
Nov 2008
Tachii said:
Heredity said:
I think we have a communication barrier here. I didn't say they lack basic intelligence nor did I say they were stupid. Also the article do support some of my statements rather than contradicting everything I've said. Either way, I don't think this is going anywhere so I'll drop it.
lol, whatever you say man.
Tachii said:
"They constantly have to be inspected to make sure that nothing is bleeding or otherwise wrong." indicates their "basic intelligence" is not sufficient.

Tachii said:
I'm not saying they're stupid or lacks basic intelligence
'communication barrier.'

Aylaine said:
It's difficult to count it when people's actions harm themselves or others, regardless of basic human intelligence. You know? Removing the ability to feel pain would only lead to people acting more reckless, since intelligence alone surely is not enough to deter people from harming themselves.
oh, being more reckless i can understand. since it's probably hard for them to comprehend how punching someone and not leaving a mark (be it a bruise, welt, or otherwise) might still hurt another person.
Mar 29, 2014 11:46 PM

Nov 2012
To OP: Emotional pain is real pain

Well, if you mean going through life without physical pain...physical pain usually alerts us that something is wrong, so no. But if I could go through life without getting injured, or sick, or getting arthritis or something (being absurdly healthy), then sure I guess.
Mar 30, 2014 2:44 AM

Feb 2012
I would prefer no pain. I hate pain...

Mar 30, 2014 3:44 AM
Aug 2011
Why do you think we experience pain the the first place? It's a signal that lets us know there is a problem. If I didn't feel pain I would not realize if something inside my body was going wrong. If I couldn't feel pain, I may put my hand on something hot and damage my skin.

I doubt many besides the exempt few want to experience pain. However without it things would be worse.

Personally I wish after I figured out what was wrong with my body and fixed the problem I could tell my brain "all is well shut down pain receptors". That would be nice.
Mar 30, 2014 8:05 AM

Mar 2012
Somehow pain makes us human. Also it helps us making life changing decisions. So I guess it's important.
There's no such thing as a painless lesson.
They just don't exist. Sacrifices are necessary.
You can't gain anything without losing something first.
Although if you can endure that pain and walk away from it,
you'll find that you now have a heart strong enough to overcome any obstacle.
Yeah, a heart made fullmetal.
- Fullmetal Alchemist
Mar 30, 2014 10:19 AM

Nov 2013
MORE!!!! STEP ON ME MORE OJOU-SAMA!!!!!!! MAKE ME LICK THE DIRT OFF YOUR LOLI FEET LIKE THE FILTHY DOG I AM!!!!!!!!!! YES! YES! THIS FEELING IS.....)@#*@) *From this point on The Dark Lord Otaku ceased to make sense, and we have felt the need to protect the children's innocence by silencing this rant* (Sincerely The FCC)

TheDarkLordOtakuMar 30, 2014 10:33 AM
Mar 30, 2014 11:10 AM

Jun 2008
Heredity said:
Tachii said:
Heredity said:
lol, whatever you say man.
Tachii said:
"They constantly have to be inspected to make sure that nothing is bleeding or otherwise wrong." indicates their "basic intelligence" is not sufficient.

Tachii said:
I'm not saying they're stupid or lacks basic intelligence
'communication barrier.'
This is a clear indication of the language barrier. These two statements are not contradictory. Saying their "basic intelligence" is not sufficient does not mean "they're stupid" or they "lack basic intelligence". It means they need more than basic intelligence which I added by saying physical experience is important. Keep in mind when I say communication barrier I also mean that I myself might have not explained what I said well enough for there to be miscommunication. Don't take it the wrong way.
TachiiMar 30, 2014 11:14 AM
Mar 30, 2014 11:14 AM
Jan 2014
TheDarkLordOtaku said:
MORE!!!! STEP ON ME MORE OJOU-SAMA!!!!!!! MAKE ME LICK THE DIRT OFF YOUR LOLI FEET LIKE THE FILTHY DOG I AM!!!!!!!!!! YES! YES! THIS FEELING IS.....)@#*@) *From this point on The Dark Lord Otaku ceased to make sense, and we have felt the need to protect the children's innocence by silencing this rant* (Sincerely The FCC)

I'm scared
Mar 30, 2014 5:16 PM
Nov 2008
Tachii said:
This is a clear indication of the language barrier. These two statements are not contradictory. Saying their "basic intelligence" is not sufficient does not mean "they're stupid" or they "lack basic intelligence". It means they need more than basic intelligence which I added by saying physical experience is important. Keep in mind when I say communication barrier I also mean that I myself might have not explained what I said well enough for there to be miscommunication. Don't take it the wrong way.
dude, dude. stop. the hole has been dug.
Mar 30, 2014 5:21 PM

Dec 2013
If you didn't feel pain, you'd get injured all the time without realizing it, and it would get infected cause you didn't wash it, and you'd get sick all the time. I'd rather take the momentary pain that's actually a useful message.
Mar 30, 2014 5:29 PM

Mar 2014
TheDarkLordOtaku said:

I ain't no loli, but feel free to lick my feet. I used to when I was 6, so it'd be nice to have someone else do it for a change :3
Mar 30, 2014 5:33 PM

Sep 2011
LadyRenly said:

I ain't no loli, but feel free to lick my feet. I used to when I was 6, so it'd be nice to have someone else do it for a change :3

Dibs^

~~doki doki
kissMar 30, 2014 6:00 PM

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet
Mar 30, 2014 5:41 PM

Apr 2010
1) Pain is the body's method of alarming you to hazards. I'd very much keep.

2) I have a pain fetish. Very much keep.
Mar 30, 2014 5:46 PM

Jan 2014
But no pain, means... no feels!

Double edged sword really, but I think we definitely need pain.

It's a part of life. That's all there is to it.
Mar 30, 2014 5:52 PM

Nov 2013
cabacc2 said:
TheDarkLordOtaku said:

I'm scared
As well you should be my friend, for the mystical laws which govern the internet do profess that "Should another user ever learn your true identity, they need only chant it thrice aloud when the moon is three quarters full, and the forbidden Gate of Solomon shall open before them granting them access to your most sacred of havens, the place where you rest your head at nightfall."
Mar 30, 2014 6:11 PM

Jan 2014
No pain No gain
Proud founder of The Official Anti-Ging Freecss Fan Club Join now!
Kellhus said:
GuusWayne said:
there is a limit to the suspension of disbelief

And it's the fan that did it. Not the smoking porn reading rubik cube genius rape ape with a magic boat.
Mar 31, 2014 8:14 PM

Dec 2013
Pain is my biggest fear
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» How are your cooking skills

ST63LTH - May 2

39 by juanlqr »»
14 minutes ago

» Do you collect trading cards?

Malkshake - Apr 30

30 by juanlqr »»
16 minutes ago

» How do you travel daily

ST63LTH - May 3

39 by juanlqr »»
21 minutes ago

» Have you ever been falsely accused of anything? ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - May 1

57 by AdamBirch »»
58 minutes ago

» How do you feel about your digital footprint becoming your digital tombstone?

Shizuna - 2 hours ago

5 by Rhae »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.