Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Parasyte
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Aug 16, 2014 2:48 AM

Jul 2014
I read it a long ago, but the one thing I remember that it was refreshing to have a protag, who was a sucessful guy right from the start. Well, it's not that every character, who wears glasses, is asocial or weak, of course, but we all know that this is going to be a miraculous transformation story now, which it wasn't in the original.
Also - female Migi? Er, not sure about this.

Anyway, the story is cheesy enough as it is, I doubt that they can really make it into a serious modern-looking horror. I would prefer if they went with the oldschool vibe and stylised it. But we'll see...
deadoptimistAug 16, 2014 3:06 AM
Aug 16, 2014 5:10 AM

Oct 2011
Nope said:
I think I know what they meant by his character development since he goes through quite a massive change both physically and mentally, but I'm disappointed with the change in artstyle since it really went with the overall tone of the story, it's like changing Niheis art style in BLAME! you just cant change shit like that.[/quote]
Parasyte's art style is hardly anything unique though. Stuff like Nihei's works or Kaiji have distinctive art styles which can be easily recognized.
Aug 16, 2014 11:26 AM

Oct 2011
dior said:
Cheesekao said:
I think I know what they meant by his character development since he goes through quite a massive change both physically and mentally, but I'm disappointed with the change in artstyle since it really went with the overall tone of the story, it's like changing Niheis art style in BLAME! you just cant change shit like that.

Parasyte's art style is hardly anything unique though. Stuff like Nihei's works or Kaiji have distinctive art styles which can be easily recognized.
it can easily be differentiated from many series

It's unique[/quote]
Nah I don't think so. It's nothing out of the ordinary for an 80's manga.

P.S. Is the quote button broken?
Aug 16, 2014 2:39 PM

Jul 2014
Nope said:
I think I know what they meant by his character development since he goes through quite a massive change both physically and mentally, but I'm disappointed with the change in artstyle since it really went with the overall tone of the story, it's like changing Niheis art style in BLAME! you just cant change shit like that.

It seems to me that go for a different kind of change in the anime though. As we all know, change can be positive and negative. In the manga Shinichi went from good to worse. I mean really, yes he became stronger, but he was ok from the beginning - he had a nice well-off family, was good at sports, had a girlfriend. He would've been better without all this horror.
The way he looks at the anime poster suggests that he is a weak person, so parasite will allow him to become better - to go from omega to alfa or, at least, to fix his poor eyesight.
I'd say that it is a pretty big change. I dislike it, because all the stories recently glorify monsters and show the transformation from human to monster as beneficial.
deadoptimistAug 17, 2014 12:41 PM
Aug 17, 2014 9:39 AM

Oct 2011
deadoptimist said:
Cheesekao said:

It seems to me that go for a different kind of change in the anime though. As we all know, change can be positive and negative. In the manga Shinichi went from good to worse. I mean really, yes he became stronger, but he was ok from the beginning - he had a nice well-off family, was good at sports, had a girlfriend. He would've been better without all this horror.
The way he looks at the anime poster suggests that he is a weak person, so parasite will allow him to become better - to go from omega to alfa or, at least, to fix his poor eyesight.
I'd say that it is a pretty big change. I dislike it, because all the stories recently glorify monsters and show the transformation from human to monster as beneficial.[/quote]
Is this an American thing or what? Nerdy looking? Sure, but weak? Where I live, people who look like Shinichi are considered as 'normal' as any other person. In fact, I'd say that I look a lot like the Madhouse version of Shinichi and nobody says that I look weak.
CheesekaoAug 17, 2014 9:47 AM
Aug 17, 2014 12:55 PM

Jul 2014
Cheesekao said:
Is this an American thing or what? Nerdy looking? Sure, but weak? Where I live, people who look like Shinichi are considered as 'normal' as any other person. In fact, I'd say that I look a lot like the Madhouse version of Shinichi and nobody says that I look weak.

Er, I wouldn't know, I am not American myself. But isn't improving one's eyesight a positive thing? Having bad eyesight is a disability to a certain extent too. We can argue about streotypes not always being true until the end of the time, and they are definitely not always true in real life, but this is visual storytelling, and nerdy character design usually suggests that the character is physically weak (unless it is a deliberate subversion), and original Shinichi wasn't weak.
In short, I mean that Sinichi on the poster looks very beta, and he will become alpha because of the parasite. The original Sinichi was alpha by himself, so for him the change was a less positive thing, which I found very interesting, when I read the manga.
Aug 18, 2014 7:24 AM

Feb 2013
Wind_Falcon said:
So they turned the mega awesome old school design of Iwaki into completely uninspired moe garbage and casted Aya Hirano as Migi.

This adaptation will be even worse than the Blade of the Immortal and Zetman ones, and I for one will spare my nerves and completely ignore this piece of trash in the making.

Today's Madhouse officially worst studio ever.

ummmm.......sorry but changing a few character designs does'nt make madhouse "the worst" studio...............it's as if you did'nt think before typing
Aug 20, 2014 6:51 AM

Dec 2010
Well i can see how you guys feel and are worry, BUT Mad House till now has proven to be capable to adapt very well mangas and LNs, take Claymore for example, is very well adapted (apart the original ending but i can't blame them since the manga is still ongoing).
They also have done a good job with Gosick, and this is a light novel adaption, so having a good source material and a strong plot make a crucial difference. C;H honestly is shit both anime and VN, dislike both.

In this case, they have a full and complete manga, they should do a good job, is enought if they follow tha manga and fit it into 26 episodes. Is not so hard if they really want.

I admit chara is not great and less mature, the manga isn't either but it mix well with the story, but is not something like Aku no Hana anime adaption fortunately, so guys don't blame it now and wait october for the premiere, then you have a valid reason to be mad if they fuck up the plot too.

Cross fingers.
Fn76Aug 20, 2014 6:58 AM
Aug 22, 2014 2:17 PM

Dec 2012
After HxH2011 I won't second guess them ever
Aug 22, 2014 6:53 PM

Jan 2013
Read everyone's posts and I have to agree, the character designs are understandable because they want to pander to a larger demographic and the source material is dated (although I dislike it myself), but that, in addition to the anime poster looking like a battle shonen (much like the transition between the manga of Tokyo Ghoul to the anime), and the seiyuu "miscast" really puts it over the top. I'm fastening my seat-belt for a censored mockery of the source material. Better underestimate than to over.
Or is everyone jumping the gun a little bit? I guess we'll have to see
Aug 24, 2014 3:31 AM
christmas cake

May 2008
Cheesekao said:
I'm not sure if this is true or not but it does seem plausible. Copypasta from 4chan.

"Okay, so there was Kiseijuu anime press conference today where they addressed some of fans disappointments. In summary:

> Hirano Aya herself thought Migi's voice would that of a man when she read the manga and was surprised that she got the role
> Director said that they wanted to make Migi unique
> Tanaka Atsuko was apparently first choice for Tamiya Ryouko
> They changed the designs to make characters more relatable for today audience
> Setting is modern day Japan for the same reason as new charadesign
> They are aware of their changes but they want to keep the spirit of the original intact
> They humorously addressed now infamous issue of "Glasses showing character development because nowadays audience is retarded" which soared through (not only) japanese internet
> "Just watch what will happen to Shinichi and his glasses."
> Akiko is anime original character and should not be asociated with Makiko"

Original character designs were more human in figure style. LOL @ the audience being more able to relate with less realistic character designs.

Also, really don't see a need to change the setting to modern day Japan for the audience. Isn't the time period for Parasyte even later than that for White Album -- didn't hear about the audience scratching their heads at the existence of clunky analog phones and cassette tapes. REASON DEBUNKED.
Aug 25, 2014 12:14 PM

Aug 2011
Sep 22, 2014 3:52 AM

Sep 2013
Sep 22, 2014 3:56 AM

Apr 2014
The glasses

THE GLASSESS!!!

Why madhouse??WHY???
Sep 24, 2014 4:55 PM

Jul 2010
G
Z4k said:
The glasses

THE GLASSESS!!!

Why madhouse??WHY???

IKR. Just why did they make him a total nerd.
Sep 28, 2014 12:40 AM

Nov 2011
New character designs:

They are parents of the MC, Shinichi.
Sep 28, 2014 12:48 AM

Jan 2013
>implying that tokyo ghoul wasnt a battle shounen

BTW this looks edgy and is done by madhouse. Obviously aoty 2014.
Sep 29, 2014 12:21 PM

Aug 2014
Those are some dramatic changes from the manga. I hope they stop at the character designs.
Sieg Zeon!
Oct 8, 2014 1:23 AM

Oct 2008
I'm not crazy about the art design. First, the excuse that they want to hold a wider audience doesn't hold water. There's tons of anime/manga that have a retro and/or distinctive art style that separates them from the generic one they chose for Parasyte, and more often than not people accept them readily (in fact welcome the change from all the generic style and moe shit), especially because they give more uniqueness to the show. And oh look! Goutou looks almost the freaking same as the manga style. Why is it acceptable for him to retain the style but not the others, hmm? At least they're honest and don't trust a wide audience to watch the show without some generic anime designs.

Second, Iwaaki's art style is not some kind of shoujo style full of tiny little lines that would be a bitch to animate. It has clean and clear lines, with good proportions and looks unique. It does have a bit of an old style in it, but one just has to look at his current work, Historie, and see that the same style has improved while holding its uniqueness. They could've consider his current art as a basis for the designs.

Third (and maybe my biggest gripe), why the HELL does Shinichi look so radically different from the original?? Why does a character have to look like a nerd (with glasses, wtf) and go through a huge image change? Which is essentially him losing the glasses midway and look like a stoic/badass bishounen or some shoujo crap where taking off the glasses makes all the difference. What was great about Shinichi (original) is that he looks like a regular kid. No nerdy, no thug, just a regular kid. When he goes through certain situations, changes his hair a bit and "looks" stronger, he doesn't radically change his looks... but you can still feel he's "changed" in some way (here I praise the amazing art of Iwaaki, he's amazing at minute face expressions/changes and such). What's great is that to an outsider he just looks like a teenager messing with his hair to look more tough, it's a normal behaviour. This was subtle and didn't require the generic anime trope of "without glasses I'm totally different" crap, that's so overused it's insulting.

And by the way this is just a pet peeve of mind, but I really dislike the fact that there are so many female characters on the freaking promotional poster, at least one of those high schoolers are not main characters or even directly supporting cast (I'm looking at you, girl from the art club). Where the hell is Uda-san, Akirumo, the detective, the freaking DAD? Because those are hell of a lot more important. But no yeah let's put all the moe/sexy female characters we can think of on the first poster ever, our main audience are lowest common denominator otaku after all *sarcasm*

I get modernize like give them cellphones, etc. that's ok. The manga IS old after all. Some of those are inevitable and it's not hard to conform the story to include those changes.

And Aya Hirano is Migi. I... have no fucking idea. She's a good seiyuu, just I always imagined Migi to have a male voice, although on the more androgynous side. Let's see what happens, as long as she doesn't sound like I'm hearing Haruhi/Konata I'm ok. As long as the voices fit their characters, I have zero complaints on that department.

Animation at least from the trailer looks amazing, so let's cross our fingers they keep it up and don't censor anything. Or if they censor is just some bars so we can at least see all the gore in the DVD/BR releases.

I ranted a lot, and it might sound like I'm super angry, but it's usually just me venting a bit, so don't take it as if I'm only attacking please or totally opposed. I'm actually pretty optimistic about this anime, it looks like it's gonna be fun.
Oct 8, 2014 11:39 PM

Jul 2011
LOL @ all the people complaining about the glasses.

Did you guys even read what madhouse got to say about that?
"Glasses showing character development because nowadays audience is retarded"

It's important for the plot, but nowadays, the majority of otaku in japan has an IQ less than 70, that's why they need to do something more obvious to show the character development.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kiseijuu: Sei no Kakuritsu Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bastek66 - Mar 25, 2015

655 by Akkumakira »»
10 hours ago

» Netfix - Parasyte: The Grey A Korean Live-Action series

sarahak - Aug 24, 2022

24 by Elfezen »»
Apr 23, 1:19 AM

» [SPOILERS] Parasyte: The Grey, Post-watch discussion thread

JVskunkape - Apr 13

0 by JVskunkape »»
Apr 13, 11:55 PM

Poll: » Kiseijuu: Sei no Kakuritsu Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 4, 2015

244 by httplatte »»
Apr 12, 12:25 AM

» Biggest plot hole? Or maybe not

egosumjohn - Apr 6

21 by Ankibank »»
Apr 11, 11:03 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.