Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Apr 16, 2011 7:59 PM

Jan 2011
People with a low IQ seem to be the only ones that have a problem with this show.
Apr 17, 2011 8:05 PM
Apr 2011
These days I wouldn't even call it overrated because if anything, the "worship" towards it is cancelled out by all the hate it also seems to get.

I don't really get the animosity towards Shinji either, to be honest. The 14 year old boy...
- loses his mother at a young age
- father abandons him (at a young age)
- get him bullied day in day out
(at this point, thinking no one cares about you is justified)
- said father calls him several years later "lol get in robo and die for ur country"
- school stresses? how about one screw-up and everyone dies and it's all his fault.
- anything he says is pretty much is used against him
(at this point, thinking everyone's out to kill you is justified)

I could probably go on, but to call him "emo" is just plain unrealistic. It's a work of fiction obviously, but still. It avoids being so clichéd.

The ending's not really that confusing, either. You don't "get it" right away, but you just have to actively think about it for a little bit - not something that generic shounen anime generally asks for.

If anything, the show's ending does leave a lot of the plot unanswered, but the movie clears that up; it seemed a bit rushed by episode 26, almost as if all they had for the plot wouldn't be covered with just 26 episodes, but again, in my opinion, the movie compensates for what was left unfinished.

Just a bit of a rant. xD;
Apr 17, 2011 8:25 PM
Mar 2011
No this is Underrated
its one or the select group of anime/manga that tell deeper story then the story you see in front of you
the others like this are Lain and N.H.K. ni Yōkoso and Densha Otoko

i wrote a Thisis aout Eva in Art History class and got an a so yeah
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Apr 18, 2011 10:01 AM

Dec 2008
How can people call this anime overrated it's not even in the top 100 for god sake.
Apr 18, 2011 10:53 AM

Jun 2009
Takeshi-san said:
How can people call this anime overrated it's not even in the top 100 for god sake.

People will generally call anything they dislike overrated. It doesn't matter if it isn't in the top 100, if they dislike it, regardless of general consensus or status, it can't possibly be good.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Apr 18, 2011 11:04 AM
Apr 2011
Takeshi-san said:

someone on 4chan said:
Top Selling Anime of All Time
1 Name: Anonymous : 2010-02-25 08:19

--------01~10--------
*174,353 Evangelion (1995)
*81,499 Gundam (1979)
*71,363 Bakemonogatari(4巻第1週まで)(2009)
*69,247 Gundam SEED DESTINY (2004)
*58,563 Gundam SEED (2002)
*52,923 Dragon Ball GT (1996)
*52,900 FMA (2003)
*47,671 Code Geass (2006)
*46,081 Macross F (2008)
*45,023 Cowboy Bebop (1998)
--------11~20--------
*41,337 Code Geass R2 (2008)
*41,037 Haruhi Suzumiya (2006)
*40,832 K-ON!(最終巻第1週)(2009)
*40,471 Dragon Ball Z (1989)
*38,349 Nadesico (1996)
*37,570 Gundam 00 (2007)
*37,436~37,441 Future Boy Conan (1978)
*31,696 Gundam W (1995)
*29,146 Lucky Star (2007)
Apr 18, 2011 11:11 AM

Jun 2009
DonkeyKong said:
Takeshi-san said:

someone on 4chan said:
Top Selling Anime of All Time
1 Name: Anonymous : 2010-02-25 08:19

--------01~10--------
*174,353 Evangelion (1995)
*81,499 Gundam (1979)
*71,363 Bakemonogatari(4巻第1週まで)(2009)
*69,247 Gundam SEED DESTINY (2004)
*58,563 Gundam SEED (2002)
*52,923 Dragon Ball GT (1996)
*52,900 FMA (2003)
*47,671 Code Geass (2006)
*46,081 Macross F (2008)
*45,023 Cowboy Bebop (1998)
--------11~20--------
*41,337 Code Geass R2 (2008)
*41,037 Haruhi Suzumiya (2006)
*40,832 K-ON!(最終巻第1週)(2009)
*40,471 Dragon Ball Z (1989)
*38,349 Nadesico (1996)
*37,570 Gundam 00 (2007)
*37,436~37,441 Future Boy Conan (1978)
*31,696 Gundam W (1995)
*29,146 Lucky Star (2007)

I think he meant on this website.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Apr 21, 2011 12:00 AM

Jan 2011
wow I see this forum is still going on
anyways I personally think evangelion is
"Where will a newborn go from here? The net is vast and infinite" - Motoko Kusanagi
Apr 21, 2011 12:36 AM

Jun 2009
cardtrick said:
wow I see this forum is still going on
anyways I personally think evangelion is

I can't even imagine trying to follow this series at such a young age.

- Geralt of Rivia
Apr 24, 2011 5:43 AM

Apr 2009
hottbill said:
People with a low IQ seem to be the only ones that have a problem with this show.

Gotta love these comments, it shows the etilism of this fanbase...
-
And btw, a lot of people hate Kaname Madoka, but Madoka doesn't have a fanbase screaming "OH GOD, BEST ANIME EVER, IF YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND IT THEN YOU ARE STUPID" all over the place, so of course NGE gets more attention and therefore, more hate.
Apr 26, 2011 5:20 PM

Dec 2010
I don't thinkEvangelion sucks, actually I'm one of those freaks who watched it more than three times. I admit that you need a bit of an IQ as well as lots of general knowledge to understand everything and I dare to say thatäs one of the reasons why not everyone likes Evangelion, but I think saying it sucks, just because you don't get it is stupid.

Neon Genesis Evangelion, as well as all Movies (expect the first one, I thought they were kidding me..xD) are really awesome pieces of plot and they're built to make people think.
I cried at Episode 24 when Shinji killed Kaworu and I also get totally braindead after watching one of the Rebuild Movies.

So I think Evangelion is only something for people who are able to combine their general knwoledge and make their own conclusions and let Evangelion just make them think. Cause I think that#s what it's built for and that has nothing to do with being overrated!
Apr 30, 2011 3:02 PM

Jan 2011
Jopsi-Chan said:
I admit that you need a bit of an IQ as well as lots of general knowledge to understand everything!

This.

Kingwel said:
hottbill said:

Gotta love these comments, it shows the etilism of this fanbase...

Has nothing to do with elitism, has to do with how complicated the show is and people bashing it because, *spits chewing tobacco into metal can* "Now wha' da' fu' is dis giant robot doin?!"

The rating of this show says it all, most people enjoy it but dumb people bash it because they are, well, dumb.
May 3, 2011 4:30 PM

Jul 2009
insan3soldiern said:

I haven't seen Madoka so I can't really comment on her or that particular show but I wonder if people hated on Shinji as much when Eva originally came out? What I mean is, since Madoka is a new series and people looking at it in hypo-vision, maybe a few years down the road some person new to anime will pick up Madoka and complain about the things you mentioned.

But, to me, Shinji is probably one of the best male anime characters I've experienced.

I know what you mean. Maybe it's possible, but I saw some people complaining about Madoka's character just the other day sadly. I guess people will only take fake action heroes nowadays. I don't like it, characters shouldn't have to be badasses to be considered good.

Shinji is an amazing character. I've never seen one character go through so many different emotional stages in a series.

I also kind of agree with hottbill but not in the same way, while I think Evangelion is difficult to understand, you don't have to be intelligent to understand it. Understanding Evangelion relies on personal preference quite heavily, like most things. If you don't understand why Shinji is the way he is at certain parts of the series, you've already failed. The emotions in Evangelion are like a big puzzle that need piecing together.
May 7, 2011 7:16 AM

Jan 2010
Rebuild is overrated.
Jul 6, 2011 9:29 PM

Apr 2009
I can't see the reason why they made the Rebuild..the series is Epic enough..
maybe for the money..:(
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 16, 2011 7:07 AM

Jul 2009
/Necromancy!

Seen 15 eps so far and I dare to disagree with NGE fans (well unless something changes in any of the remaining eps).

The first thing is - the "psychological aspect" of the show. So far we have: the glory-hunting tsundere, the quiet girl, and a broken boy that can't get over his abandonment issues and overall is mentally unstable. Very deep indeed. He's 14yo you say. In case you didn't notice: 9-10yo kids are/were conscripted by guerilla units all over Africa, they were forced to fight, to kill; there's also the example of Lwów Eaglets - kids fought willingly to defend their city during the war; there were many scouts who joined forces with Resistance during the Second World War.

Realism is not realistic enough I guess.

And yet, a guy who's in a do or die situation, when he must fight or all is lost makes scenes like a little bobo. I bet, that if any actual 14 year olds were put into his boots, they would've peed in their pants out of fear. And then got the job done.

The second thing - Only The Chosen Ones Can Pilot It and Scientist Have Failed Miserably. You can't be serious with these two, ever. People in NGE knew what hit them, and that it's coming again. They had 15 years to prepare. And yet they failed to make mass-produced long range anti-angel weaponry? Especially since they actually made PROGRESS (AI, EVAs, Tokyo3)? That would've been understandable if there was some kind of "dark age," but there wasn't. And don't forget that progress accelerates during conflict. WTF? That brings us to the first - the chosen ones. Doh, not again... :|

Two major flaws out of hell-like-I-know-how-many, I'll draw more of them out when I have more time maybe.

My impression so far? NGE doesn't deserve the praise it gets.
Nov 20, 2011 6:24 AM
Jan 2011
@orzel286

Why are you criticizing a lack of realism using child soldiers when the series is more about Shinji's and other characters' psyche? His age is less important than the state of his mind. People respond differently to extremely stressful situations like frontline combat, both kids and adults. The realism here comes from the fact that Shinji's thoughts and emotions are well-explored and understandable. Besides Shinji usually got the job done anyway, while a lot of others would either run away or freeze.

Your second "major flaw" is indirectly answered in the 6th episode. They have a weapon that can pierce an AT field. To power it you need to re-route all the energy generated in Japan to that weapon. It's the question of resources and not science.
Nov 20, 2011 10:33 AM

Jul 2009
jl07045 said:
@orzel286

Why are you criticizing a lack of realism using child soldiers when the series is more about Shinji's and other characters' psyche? His age is less important than the state of his mind. People respond differently to extremely stressful situations like frontline combat, both kids and adults. The realism here comes from the fact that Shinji's thoughts and emotions are well-explored and understandable. Besides Shinji usually got the job done anyway, while a lot of others would either run away or freeze.

It really takes a second to notice that he's insane. He snaps time and time again. He leaves, says that he won't pilot eva and in the same ep he returns. Repeat x2-3. That's understandable? U mad?
He gets the job done? Not really - it's berserk eva that has to save the day usually.

Your second "major flaw" is indirectly answered in the 6th episode. They have a weapon that can pierce an AT field. To power it you need to re-route all the energy generated in Japan to that weapon. It's the question of resources and not science.

Wrong. ~Two angels were somehow destroyed by evas machine gun fire.

Yup, MACHINE GUN.

Shoot an angel from every gun UN has - no effect, place this "N2" mine - almost no effect, evas mg - it's super effective!

Take evangelions themselfes as an example - why are there so few of them? Nevermind WHAT evas actually are - it doesn't matter, it's logical that you'll mass produce most effective weapons (lolT34lol). And don't forget - this is a full scale war, with the fate of all mankind at sake; why aren't corporations like GM, Ford, Google (LOL) etc cooperating in order to produce evas quickly, in great numbers? My guess is - someone didn't give much thought about it or "this_is_a_great_setting_GTFO." And as a result there's a giant plot hole, either way.
Nov 20, 2011 12:14 PM
Jan 2011
orzel286 said:
He snaps time and time again. He leaves, says that he won't pilot eva and in the same ep he returns. Repeat x2-3. That's understandable? U mad?

The reasons why he snaps and goes back are explained, so they are understandable. Whether you can empathize with him is a whole different case. Apparently you can't or don't want to, which is fine by me, except that is not the fault of the show or anyone else.

About angels being destroyed by machine guns, that is also explained, in episode 3 if I'm not mistaken. An Eva can neutralize Angels' AT field which makes them susceptible to physical damage. It is explained what Evas actually are towards the end of the show. It also cannot be called a full scale war since the truth about Angels, Eva units etc is held by Seele and NERV and is unknown to general public, because both of the organizations have their own secret and shady plans. So these are not plot holes, this is just you not paying attention.
Nov 21, 2011 1:22 AM

Jul 2009
jl07045 said:

The reasons why he snaps and goes back are explained, so they are understandable. Whether you can empathize with him is a whole different case. Apparently you can't or don't want to, which is fine by me, except that is not the fault of the show or anyone else.

I can understand that he has some issues, but the way he acts is not understandable at all. Well, unless he is a woman or retarded. Who would need like ~20 eps to make his mind? Never heard the line "heroes are made of people too afraid to run away"? Never heard about "the cornered rat will fight to the end, against all odds"? Too bad for ya, becouse that's exactly how most of people function, while facing life threatening situations. And yet, he/she(lol) would rather run and die anyway. You can't be that pessimistic, trust me.

About angels being destroyed by machine guns, that is also explained, in episode 3 if I'm not mistaken. An Eva can neutralize Angels' AT field which makes them susceptible to physical damage.

Oh, yes evas can neutralize angels at field - with bare hands or a knife. And a machine gun. It's a complete nonsense! You tell me that mg is more powerful than artillery, or N2 mine, which is basically A FKN NUKE?

It is explained what Evas actually are towards the end of the show. It also cannot be called a full scale war since the truth about Angels, Eva units etc is held by Seele and NERV and is unknown to general public, because both of the organizations have their own secret and shady plans. So these are not plot holes, this is just you not paying attention.

Yes, it is a full scale war. Whole UN force is engaged in this humanity vs angels showdown. SAS was not a public knowledge during the second world war, and so what? You can't measure scale of conflict by numbers of secrets involved XD
Nov 21, 2011 1:45 AM
Mar 2011
this show is under rated casue of what it did for the industry in the rough times of the eiely 90's made it possible for sponsors wating to pour money back in to anime again
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Nov 21, 2011 11:10 AM
Jan 2011
orzel286 said:
Never heard the line "heroes are made of people too afraid to run away"? Never heard about "the cornered rat will fight to the end, against all odds"? Too bad for ya, becouse that's exactly how most of people function, while facing life threatening situations.

Whether I've heard of them and whether most people act that way is irrelevant. What is important is how Shinji acts, which is what the show is largely about. You can call him a woman or retarded for all I care, but this is just a case of the main character not meeting your expectations.

You can't be that pessimistic, trust me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clinical_depression
There you go.

Oh, yes evas can neutralize angels at field - with bare hands or a knife. And a machine gun. It's a complete nonsense!

No, with their own AT field, that was even shown in the 2nd episode. Be more attentive when you watch something.

You can't measure scale of conflict by numbers of secrets involved

Very well. However vital information was withheld from governments and different methods of fighting Angels other than those provided by NERV were sabotaged (episode 7). NERV and Seele made sure that they are the only ones capable of defeating Angels to further their goals, that was the core of my argument.
Nov 21, 2011 12:31 PM

Jul 2009
jl07045 said:

Whether I've heard of them and whether most people act that way is irrelevant. What is important is how Shinji acts, which is what the show is largely about. You can call him a woman or retarded for all I care, but this is just a case of the main character not meeting your expectations.

And yet people call her a "normal 14yo."
As a producer, you have to amuse most of plebeians - MC with mental disorder in a (let's say)"mecha" anime, with a "The Chosen Ones" cliche will do the trick, so you don't have to focus on the plot. True story.

BTW - "The chosen ones" by Dream Evil is one of my fav songs :3

No, with their own AT field, that was even shown in the 2nd episode. Be more attentive when you watch something.

That doesn't make a lot of sense anyway.

Very well. However vital information was withheld from governments and different methods of fighting Angels other than those provided by NERV were sabotaged (episode 7). NERV and Seele made sure that they are the only ones capable of defeating Angels to further their goals, that was the core of my argument.

Smells like.... CONSPIRATION! :P

But seriously, anime about conspiration without iluminati? WTF? :P

Oh, yes, China, Russia, US and other countries would easily let them do as they please. Prrffff.

Oh, I forgot - they didn't have intelligence agencies, money, etc to thwart SEELE and NERV before their rise to power, and acquire any plans, concepts they had! :P
Nov 21, 2011 2:20 PM
Jan 2011
orzel286 said:
As a producer, you have to amuse most of plebeians - MC with mental disorder in a (let's say)"mecha" anime, with a "The Chosen Ones" cliche will do the trick, so you don't have to focus on the plot. True story.

Then are you criticizing the show or the people watching it? The plot provides the context for the character drama that is at the centre of the show.

A high ability to suspend disbelief is very important to enjoy anything sci-fi or fantasy. You think Death Star (you can replace it with pretty much any outlandish technology in soft sci-fi) makes more sense?

Oh, yes, China, Russia, US and other countries would easily let them do as they please. Prrffff.

You're nitpicking and speculating without paying attention to what is said and shown on-screen.
Nov 21, 2011 2:52 PM

Sep 2011
ezaya said:
Do you guys think that this is an overrated anime..whyy?

Groundbreaking for it's era. Which inspire who-knows-how-many animes later...... Like in the present!
"Justice Never Dies!" - Kenji Endou, 20th century Boys
Nov 21, 2011 2:53 PM

Sep 2011
Hybrid00 said:
It only sucks if you're to stupid to understand it.

I love Eva. Favorite anime ever.

To stupid to spell correctly also
Nov 21, 2011 2:57 PM

Sep 2011
orzel286 said:
jl07045 said:

BTW - "The chosen ones" by Dream Evil is one of my fav songs :3

Smells like.... CONSPIRATION! :P

But seriously, anime about conspiration without iluminati? WTF? :P

Oh, I forgot - they didn't have intelligence agencies, money, etc to thwart SEELE and NERV before their rise to power, and acquire any plans, concepts they had! :P

SEELE is essentially the illuminati. But it is explained in the pores that they have guided human history for a LONG time. I think they started off as a Jewish organization in the 500s BCE
Nov 22, 2011 1:18 AM

Jul 2009
jl07045 said:

Then are you criticizing the show or the people watching it? The plot provides the context for the character drama that is at the centre of the show.

Both. Drama? Didn't notice.

A high ability to suspend disbelief is very important to enjoy anything sci-fi or fantasy. You think Death Star (you can replace it with pretty much any outlandish technology in soft sci-fi) makes more sense?

Of course it makes sense. You probably don't know about it, but Star Wars has like ~100000 years covered with books (many technology guides included), comics, games etc. So it's pretty easy to cover any plot holes, make death stars believable.

You're nitpicking and speculating without paying attention to what is said and shown on-screen.

If you payed attention - why didn't any of the countries do anything? :P
Oct 10, 2012 5:23 AM

Apr 2012
No.

It set a standard for the anime industry at the time and has since then been imitated by the thousands. While the ending is a disappointment on many levels, it only adds to the crazy uniqueness of this series.
Oct 14, 2012 8:17 PM

Mar 2010
Am I the only person who thinks the experimental non-narrative nature of the last 2 episodes are:

1) An artful attempt at trying to illustrate a world without self.
2) Praise worthy for it's mix of various animation styles (keep in mind, they didn't have the CG capabilities of today)

?
Mar 25, 2013 4:54 PM
Jan 2012
It's only overrated because of all the wrong reasons. Those two reasons are: fanservice and haters.

Honestly I get so sick of seeing Asuka, Rei, and other female characters being shown in such a provocative manner. I didn't watch and like Evangelion just for the fanservice. I'm not saying they shouldn't have put any in there but it SHOULDN'T BE the reason why you watched it in the first place.

That also kinda of leads to my point on haters. It's okay if you don't like the anime. It's okay if you think that it's not the best thing in the world. If you did understand it and you still didn't like it then it's fine! But don't start shoving the reasons why you hate it to fans who actually like it. "Shinji is a fucking pussy, etc."

And if you didn't understand it, then really you have no right to hate. Watching it without even trying to understand the characters and the plot is nothing but close-mindedness. If you didn't understand it, then don't hesitate to ask a fellow fan that will kindly explain to you what Evangelion was about. If you still didn't like, then it's fine as long as you don't try to shove it down fan's throats.

I personally love the original series and the ending. I prefer it over the movies which has a completely different plot for those who are more interested in action and not so dark plot. I'm not saying the anime was perfect but I think the plot itself is not overrated. It's just people that make it seem like a generic overrated anime. Btw how is this story generic? Enlighten me by telling me other series that is similar to this anime.
Mar 27, 2013 11:16 PM
Nov 2012
You can't say it's overrated when to this day it still fuels discussion and sells like hell (rebuild),
I used to mindlessly call many things overrated, but when you consider how much it's actually accomplished it's not overrated at all.
Jan 5, 2014 5:09 PM

Aug 2013
In my opinion, yes it is overrated because I don't think any aspects of it are good enough to justify all the hype. Though I'm not saying it's bad - it's obviously got something about it that it sparks debates even after all this time.

I don't think the action/fighting bits, even though they're quite well done, have enough substance in terms of actual plot/originality (robots driven by teenagers vs constant steam of aliens is not a very ground breaking concept tbh...).

In the later episodes, the plot abruptly stops to deal with the delving into Shinji's psyche, and this is where it all becomes a bit messy for me. His thoughts are so random and scrambled it just makes no sense. It's not particularly deep - it's just disguised to look deep.

The characters just go round in circles of saying the same things over and over, taking ages to come to a conclusion about themselves that we pretty much already knew.

Even if the psychological analysis of the characters is done pretty well, and manages to "mind fuck" the audience, it ultimately leads nowhere, as none of the characters learn anything meaningful out of it.

Everyone talks about how great the psychological aspects of the show are, yet they never actually say what those are. Can someone tell me exactly what did Shinji learn in the end after all that endless conversing with his subconsciousness about utter nonsense??

So in the end we end up with an anime that is half average mecha type battles which starts off quite good, but quickly descends into episode monster-of-the-week which gets a little dull after a while, because there's never any suspense - you know they are going to defeat the Angels. And a second half that deceives people into thinking it's some deep psychological break down of the characters.

As for End of Evangelion being supposedly "a better alternate ending". There was hardly anything good about it. The second half of the film just descends into utter chaos and a huge mess of grotesque imagery and religious symbolism that means nothing to me. It ends up raising more questions than it answers, and the ending is really not satisfying at all. Also, the characters are really... out of character in the film. Shinji is even more annoying than ever - even if his reasons for being like that are somewhat justified you still want someone to slap him.

So all in all, if you got a deeper meaning out of the pyscho-babble then you will have enjoyed this better. As for me, I thought it was good, just nothing ground breaking or too intelligent.

(No hating on my opinion please! I won't appreciate anyone replying to me and saying I'm stupid because I "didn't understand it properly". Everyone gets something different out of it - you can't make me feel what you feel after watching Eva. I feel my own feelings ^^)
Jan 5, 2014 5:22 PM

Jul 2013
I don't think it's overrated.
Jan 18, 2014 8:17 PM

May 2010
its well deserved, like over a decade of Evangelion and still awesome tho 2015 is no longer so far away.
Jan 21, 2014 6:59 AM
Jan 2014
I completely and utterly regret watching this show.

People say it has a deep meaning but how can you look for meaning in a show where you can't even trust the symbolisms used? In a good story almost everything can be looked at as a symbol with a greater meaning when considered in the big picture of it. In Evangelion symbols are added because they "look cool".

"Because Christianity is an uncommon religion in Japan we thought it would be mysterious. None of the staff who worked on Eva are Christians. There is no actual Christian meaning to the show, we just thought the visual symbols of Christianity look cool."
- Kazuya Tsurumaki, Assistant Director of Neon Genesis Evangelion

Then when people ask what the meaning behind he show is the creators just say "We're not going to tell you the meaning, we're not here to cater to you, find it yourself." What? How are we supposed to devise the meaning if we don't even know which parts have meaning? That's a major cop-out. I think the creator had no idea it would become this big and spark the discussion it has and he was scared that the show would lose it's popularity if he spoke honestly.

I think this show is popular because it's popular and that it has meaning because people give it meaning. Overall I'd suggest avoiding it. In the alternate ending the main character literally
Jan 21, 2014 7:21 AM
Mar 2011
its not over rated at all it s one of the most important anime ever made id say its underrated

Jan 27, 2014 4:00 PM

Apr 2013
If you don't get the story it's awful.
Feb 10, 2014 1:27 PM
Jul 2012
Cupquake said:
If you don't get the story it's awful.

It's still bad even when you "get" the story.

---------------

I don't care when it came out or how much the budget was, none of this should influence how good the script/story is, Dante Alighieri's Divine Comedy is still regarded as one of the greatest works ever written even though it is from around 1321.

So in regards to that i don't see where all the praise for NGE comes from, the story is mediocre with annoying and not well fleshed out main characters + over use of religious symbols without background.
The whole mystery aspect comes from the fact that they created a universe and didn't bother to explain shit, it's like they didn't know themselves what they are doing with the story so they pretended that it's more that it really is.
The "mindfuck" only applies if you are 12 or never heard the word psychology before because all NGE did was trying to incorporate a simple psychological concept while doing a piss poor job at explaining it thus it gets praised for being deep and a "mindfuck".
Unless i misinterpreted what you guys mean by "mindfuck" if it is about being depressing or picking up edgy subjects then go listen to Voyeur by Otep, it isn't more then a violence fantasy and pretentious as fuck while still being way better then what NGE did.

So from all i can gather NGE is nothing more then a very mediocre anime so please enlighten me why most of the reviews give it a 9 or 10?
Feb 10, 2014 4:47 PM

Apr 2013
undeadbizkit said:
I don't care when it came out or how much the budget was, none of this should influence how good the script/story is, Dante Alighieri's Divine Comedy is still regarded as one of the greatest works ever written even though it is from around 1321.

So in regards to that i don't see where all the praise for NGE comes from, the story is mediocre with annoying and not well fleshed out main characters + over use of religious symbols without background.
The whole mystery aspect comes from the fact that they created a universe and didn't bother to explain shit, it's like they didn't know themselves what they are doing with the story so they pretended that it's more that it really is.
The "mindfuck" only applies if you are 12 or never heard the word psychology before because all NGE did was trying to incorporate a simple psychological concept while doing a piss poor job at explaining it thus it gets praised for being deep and a "mindfuck".
Unless i misinterpreted what you guys mean by "mindfuck" if it is about being depressing or picking up edgy subjects then go listen to Voyeur by Otep, it isn't more then a violence fantasy and pretentious as fuck while still being way better then what NGE did.

So from all i can gather NGE is nothing more then a very mediocre anime so please enlighten me why most of the reviews give it a 9 or 10?

Uh yeah no.
I don't care for the budget either, faults & all it's still awesome. They have no obligation to explain shit, it is what it is, why go into detail about something that's for the most part a plot device?, obviously, useless info dumps are useless. They don't quite narrate the characters every thought but they were fleshed out enough, yes even Rei. I don't really see how you got there ....
I don't even know how you jumped no leaped to the conclusion that they didn't know what they were doing .... "Piss poor job", eh really?, I thought it was geniously written, form the 2nd episode. "Deep" is a vague word .... Yes the psychological concept is relatively simple but it's very real & it hits home, it's not a fricking thesis on unexplored ground like you expecting I'm afraid. "Mindfuck", truth be told I don't even know what this word really means, but if you simply just pay attention everything should make sense .... No thank you, I'll pass on your recommendation.
Feb 10, 2014 6:26 PM
Jan 2014
All I could say about it, it's that the Anime.. was a bit. How do I put this, C-O-N-F-U-S-I-N-G. Really.
In the end, the main character just give up and the whole Earth went KABOOM!

Overall, it was a interesting one.
But I H-A-T-E the ending.
Feb 11, 2014 5:10 AM

Jan 2014
This anime is still being mentioned/remade/talked about till today. That's how good it is. On MAL, it's not even in the top 50, that's just... surprising, so definitely underrated.

It's like saying Michael Jordan is not a top 50 player in the NBA. He's not the logo (Jerry West), but he put the NBA on the map, and this coming from someone who has never watched a single game of his, and I have complete confidence in stating that.

In 2014, I feel like if you can't appreciate what this show has done for anime, then you're really just a fan of your own ego. I'm sure it doesn't apply to everyone, but for the most, probably true.

It's liked denying dragon ball it's place in manga.
Feb 23, 2014 8:12 PM

Apr 2009
I just heard that "only smart people loves Eva". :)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 25, 2014 2:46 PM

Jan 2011
i think when one has to judge about an anime show he/she must always consider the time and circumstances it was made in. i cant compare NGE with a show nowadays, where graphics are eros for the eyes and where everyone can buy a DVD via internet. xP for the time it was made it was simply a masterpiece. i watched it years later and it was i would say my 20. anime or so and one of the first more sophisticated anime shows i ve seen, so it had a bigger impact on me than when i would watch it today with the other shows i watched in the recent years. but still i would rate it a 10, because i know it was aired somewhere in the middle 199X where anime shows were not so popular than today and kind of rare and more the kiddy-stuff with bangboomandfunnyshit and stuff if you know, what i mean. NGE changed that. it was different. and because of that shows like Trigun and Cowboy Bebop followed and the anime-fanbase grows very much. i am thankfull for that. so i think its not overrated. i watched the new movies and compared to the stuff nowadays the new movies were not so good, so i rated them lower than 10, although the first movie was nearly an exact copy of the first NGE episodes. if NGE would air today with the modern animation style lets say from KyoAni but every other aspect would be the same, i would rate it 8 (7+1 because i like stylish mechas and some darker future shit that do things not like Star Wars or Star Trek) or 9 (9 because of the very good KyoAni animations!).
summerwarsFeb 25, 2014 3:02 PM
Mar 5, 2014 9:51 PM

Mar 2013
The Most Overrated Anime ever. A close second is TTGL.

This anime and its movie certainly have some strengths, but the flaws are overwhelming.
Mar 10, 2014 10:42 PM

Dec 2013
I wouldn't call it overrated, because the reality is its widely considered a masterpiece, especially considering its impact on the anime industry. I think its cemented its place as a classic.

Still I would not consider it a masterpiece, personally, because I didn't find it entertaining enough and it didn't have a clear message. Those two things might have made up for the plot which contained one too many unexplained occurrences.

The plot doesn't really have that "well crafted" feeling. I think the plot was moved forward by far to many arbitrary things. I get that ultimately this show is all about the characters and I understand that a good story does leave some things open to the imagination of the viewer/ open to interpretation, but I think this show goes too far in that direction.
Love and Peace!!!
Mar 10, 2014 11:37 PM

Jul 2013
Thund3r1 said:
it didn't have a clear message.

I personally thought the show's messages were spelled out just fine. Essentially, the series asks the question "Is life worth living?" and provides the answer "It's up to you," considering how
And I mean that in the most sexually painful way possible.
Mar 11, 2014 12:53 AM

Dec 2013
JabonHR said:
Thund3r1 said:
it didn't have a clear message.

I personally thought the show's messages were spelled out just fine. Essentially, the series asks the question "Is life worth living?" and provides the answer "It's up to you," considering how

Thats a message one can get (especially if you interpret End of Evangelion that way) but I don't think its clear. I see Evangelion as something very expressive of the creators emotions and something that provokes thought on different issues. I think the large amount of ambiguity allows people to see different things in it, which is part of why I think of it like a work of art.

The message " You have to decide for yourself if life is worth living" seems like a valid message for the ending of the show, in addition to EoE, but I can't remember much else in the series that supports this message. Yes there's a big theme of "survival" as well as "choice" but I don't see that message in other episodes.

Question: is the term "Sea of LCL" used in the the series or EoE?
Love and Peace!!!
Mar 13, 2014 5:20 AM

Apr 2009
I think they really created Evangelion for those plot holes. I mean just like first impact which was never really explained in the series. Every person is free to make a theory about this one.
Mar 13, 2014 5:28 AM

Apr 2012
ezaya said:
I think they really created Evangelion for those plot holes. I mean just like first impact which was never really explained in the series. Every person is free to make a theory about this one.
First impact is the dinosaurs going extinct (I'm serious).
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

» Should i watch this ( 1 2 )

Lonely_kun - Apr 18

72 by daazexx »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Voltlighter - Nov 29, 2007

202 by sailorneptunelvr »»
Yesterday, 5:13 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

286 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 24, 4:58 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 9, 2007

173 by kermitpoke »»
Apr 24, 9:46 AM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

342 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 23, 6:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.