Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sayonara Zetsubou-Sensei
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 22, 2009 6:53 PM

Nov 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Conan~~~~~~!
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Aug 23, 2009 12:58 AM
Jul 2018
Last part with the train was really the best. By both the content and the art experience - pure awesomeness.
Aug 23, 2009 8:09 AM

Sep 2008
Speechless.... Greatest Art style ever!
Go Watch Sumomo momo Its epic. It has not gotten much attention... Episode 1
http://www.veoh.com/videos/v83597095dreGdW#comments
Aug 23, 2009 10:37 AM

Jul 2009
lol, theres somebody really loves this show (me too ;-) )

too bad there arent so many great shows like this. Only 4 per week for me, and 3 of them are aired between thursday and friday and then the sub for zetsubou sensei wont come out before tuesday :-( I am in despair!
Aug 31, 2009 9:47 PM

Sep 2008
Not a huge fan of the latter half, but the style was great.
My favorite part would have to be the time skip with Kaere. <3

However, Where's Oora?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 31, 2009 11:16 PM
Jun 2009
lol at the death note reference and drawing the sensei part
Sep 1, 2009 1:25 AM

Sep 2007
I am your father!

Anyway, Kino won the Zetsubou-sensei drawing contest, definitely. Most realistic portrait ever.

The last part was awesome, and rather nostalgic. During the entire segment, I had the song "Romancing Train" from the Final Fantasy Unlimited Ending in my head, which was the first Anime I ever watched since discovering fansubs. It already was great as it was but that feeling made it even better. ^^
Sep 1, 2009 1:51 AM

Sep 2008
The third part was nicely done. Epic on many counts.
Chicken + Dictionary + Dictionary = CMC. Eeyup.
Sep 1, 2009 2:25 AM

Aug 2008
Harumi's excitement when Itoshiki left man's building xD
Sep 1, 2009 4:05 AM

Jun 2007
Light admitted that he's Kira! Rofl.
Loved the artwork from the last part - reminded me of Inaka Isha.
Sep 1, 2009 7:43 AM
Jul 2018
Loved the train scene.

Sep 1, 2009 7:44 AM

Jun 2007
HoaRy said:
Last part with the train was really the best

My thoughts at first until I realised how old and overused some jokes are getting this season, even on interesting segments such as this. Politically incorrect, mass anime references and self-parodies are losing their "wow" touch for me.
Sep 1, 2009 7:51 AM

Jul 2007
One of the better episodes this season so far, IMO.
Really enjoyed the reverse surprise & predetermined destination parts.
Sep 1, 2009 11:56 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Brilliant episode. The references were very enjoyable and made me laugh a lot again.

And finally Chie-sensei got to speak a few lines. God I want more of her <3 .

The ending of the episode was almost cute, until they arrived. xD

[edit]: Lehman Brothers, lmao.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Sep 1, 2009 3:25 PM

Nov 2007
One of the best SZS episodes ever. I burst out laughing at "I'm your father". And the art style used in the last segment was hot.
Sep 1, 2009 5:56 PM

Mar 2009
I liked the first half of this ep. I didn't really like the last segment. I thought that it was funny when sensei was leaving the apartment and the girls were waiting outside. I also like when they did the time skip when they were old. I wish they would have shown everyone old though.

Sep 1, 2009 7:11 PM

Jul 2008
lolz confession training eh?
the second half artwork was quite different
lolz @ Darth Vader's appearance

KyokoBeat said:
I also like when they did the time skip when they were old. I wish they would have shown everyone old though.

same
Sep 1, 2009 7:57 PM

Apr 2008
rawrs ... kinda stupid

from wat ppl say .. we can tell whether they have alrdy made up their mind .. hahas

Sep 2, 2009 1:40 AM

Sep 2008
HoaRy said:
Last part with the train was really the best. By both the content and the art experience - pure awesomeness.
Being a fan is like having a penis. Its nice to be proud of it But don't pull it out in public and wave it in other's faces

Kyurem Black. Kyurem White. Together they are Pretty Kyurem.
Sep 2, 2009 8:27 AM

Jul 2008
Zero_r2 said:
HoaRy said:
But confession training was also awesome, cheers for Conan. ^^
Take a look at the world and laugh. -Januzs Korczak
Sep 2, 2009 10:29 AM

Nov 2008
Retsu-kun said:

My thoughts at first until I realised how old and overused some jokes are getting this season, even on interesting segments such as this. Politically incorrect, mass anime references and self-parodies are losing their "wow" touch for me.

I agree, it's not so fresh and amusing as the first and the second season, I like it, though. SZS gave itself very high level, and it's able to reach it. For me, it was the best episode of this season, almost gives you the old "woah, they're kinda right, lol" feeling. The second half showed authors don't give up and still try to be orginal. Anyway, the show the best parody ever, I love how they comment the election of new japaneese president :D
Sep 2, 2009 12:04 PM

Apr 2009
Star Wars and SZS? Can it get any more awesome?

Im still surprised at how accurate the portrait of social problems are in this show. I can relate very easily to the situations going on in SZS, and laugh at all the parodies and references. I may be biased, but it just doesn't get old for me. Sure, its not as fresh as it used to be, but isn't that impossible at this point? SZS sets very high standards, and Im still surprised at how high they've reached.

Sep 2, 2009 3:50 PM

May 2009
Decent episode, but for me it paled in comparison to last weeks'. The drawing song was quite good though.
Sep 2, 2009 4:22 PM

Jun 2008
Best episode of the season hands down, IMO.

It had very funny moments, I laughed the whole "reverse surprise" thing and most of the confessions were hilarious. It had touching moments too, the train segment was interesting and well-displayed social commentary with very good art. And the sound direction was flawless.

To make it short, everything I enjoy on SZS was on this episode. 5/5.
Sep 2, 2009 9:12 PM

Apr 2009
That was a good episode and all, but I suddenly found myself wondering....

Sep 3, 2009 7:54 AM
Jul 2018
Orio94 said:
That was a good episode and all, but I suddenly found myself wondering....

That thing appears in one of those (small) children's program, where such drawing songs usually appear. I think they write something like "Okasan to Issho" (Together with your Mother) after it, which is the most known out of it (it's on NHK then) - I used to watch it sometimes.
Sep 3, 2009 9:40 AM

Aug 2007
Ahaha, the confession part. Kira and Star Wars. The timeskip was funny as well. Indeed, the train scene rocks. If it was in an other anime, I wouldn't have liked it, I guess. Reminded me a bit of Antique Bakery, but ... better.
Dutch anime blogger with a love for Ikuhara's antics and proper storytelling.
Sep 3, 2009 12:13 PM

Jul 2008
haha yeah the conan part crack me up. and also a lot of other references. or the two who are talking about if they should watch the anime or not.

Sep 3, 2009 12:54 PM

Aug 2009
I loved the Death Note and Star Wars bit, but my favorite moment would have to be Harumi's yaoi fangirl excitement when Nozomu was leaving the one guy's place. That or the cheesy synth music they played while Kuniya was unzipping his jacket. I often find the subtler things funnier.
Ha-cha!
Sep 4, 2009 5:22 PM

Aug 2007
"What if I had died?!"
Ahh, it's been a while since he's said that!

Great episode. The art of the second part was amazing, as well as the train to put things off, lmao.
Sep 4, 2009 10:59 PM

Sep 2007
I have to disagree with the statements that this anime is declining from the first two seasons. Just the opposite, in fact - this one far exceeds the first season (particularly the second half of the first season).

heh, an anime that doesn't start to suck as it goes on... now that's a true reverse surprise.
Sep 5, 2009 4:28 PM
Dec 2007
Haha, that's true with the, 'things not happening are more surprising'. I was surprised when Kuniya was wearing the plain tshirt, too. It's nice to see that they're still keeping up the gag of him having a crush on Ai. It seemed more like Ai having a crush on him, though. Hah, that was expected of Harumi, getting so excited when that guy called up Itoshiki to 'listen to a song'. Damn that Chiri for interrupting a rather touching moment with Maria. Everyone's particular vision of 'visualizing their crimes' were pretty apt. Especially Harumi's. I could definitley imagine her doing something like that.

I wonder who that businessman in the class is who keeps showing him. I assume he's from some kind of previous gag, but my memory fails me. Lol at the random guy in the purple confessing, with the way he said, 'I'm confessing!'. Wonder if they were referring to Kannagi about the virgin thing. They most likely were. No wonder the detective felt confused. Hah, wouldn't mystery manga/anime/games be all that easier if the culprits confessed? But like Matoi mentioned, it'd be difficult for the industry. Blonde Ryuk? Oh my. Nice little apple background. SHAFT always manage to create such gorgeous backgrounds in this show, really eye-catching. Was rather pretty at the graveyard, when everything when in grey scale, save for the cherry blossoms. Oh lol, Maria looking exactly the same, save for grey hair. That part reminded me of the beach scene several episodes back, when everything collapsed around them.

Beautiful scene with Kafuka about to board the train. Very dreamlike, very surreal. Only SHAFT can do something like this, and get away with it. Shall be interesting to see what it's done like in the manga. For a little bit, I couldn't really concentrate on what was being said, and was totally in awe with the style. Also nice to see them breaking the fourth wall in a style that only SHAFT can do. Poor mangaka. Wonder who he's supposed to be. One would think it's SZS's creator, except the mangaka in the train was called, 'Kurayinosuke', and the creator is Koji Kumeta. The 'finally deciding on a woman' part caught me off guard, I must admit. Although it was a serious for a while, considering the nature of the series, I knew that that couldn't last for long. Nice little Aso reference, the 'otaku prime minister', who adores Rozen Maiden. The only reason I caught that was because of Shinku in the background. Absolutely gorgeous sequence, easily one of my favourites not not in this season, but during the whole series. The final part was done in such a bizarrely beautiful, poignant way, and the song only added to that.

The new ending is taking a long while to appear. Terashima Takuma's was pretty sweet, although it looks absolutely nothing like Itoshiki.
Sep 5, 2009 9:48 PM

Jan 2009
Awesome episode :D
Sep 6, 2009 8:37 AM

Mar 2009
I really liked it found it awesome as usual.

Sep 6, 2009 9:11 AM
Nov 2007
RetroElectro said:
the mangaka in the train was called, 'Kurayinosuke', and the creator is Koji Kumeta.

Mangain Kurayaminosuke is what Kumeta claims his posthumous Buddhist name will be.
Sep 7, 2009 7:54 PM
Dec 2007
I likes how they made a direct transition from episode 7 to 8 just to make an even stronger impact with the reverse surprise topic (to add to the surprises they added Chie-sensei who hasn't had any speaking roles since season 2). I agree, this anime has improved on season 2's slight decline. I think it's the fact that while still having a similar format to season 2, they are not being as strict as they were and are taking more liberties (like continuing a segement from episode to episode and the like). I still think they should alternate from 3 sections to 2 sections according to how long or short the original chapters where.

Sep 8, 2009 1:11 AM

Sep 2007
Leon-Gun said:
I still think they should alternate from 3 sections to 2 sections according to how long or short the original chapters where.

And I think they shoul only have 1 section. Each episode will only take about 10 minutes, but the series will run for a year instead of just a season. That would make me happy. <3
Sep 8, 2009 7:36 PM
Dec 2007
Spade said:
Leon-Gun said:
I still think they should alternate from 3 sections to 2 sections according to how long or short the original chapters where.

And I think they shoul only have 1 section. Each episode will only take about 10 minutes, but the series will run for a year instead of just a season. That would make me happy. <3
That could turn rather thin and tedious when they run into short chapters (you can only take enough rants about a single subject). I really think the first episodes of SZS had it down to perfection really: 2 sections which would interconnect in some way (or at some point). It wasn't until they veered a little into the "experimental" comedy/parody that it turned rather tedious. Then Season 2 started well but the strict 3 sections killed it. Suddenly it felt like 3 episodes in one, and suddenly you had the "I liked the start but the middle was boring" opinions. I think Season 3 has been going in the right direction again but it's still not quite there yet, still leaps over season 2 IMO.

Sep 9, 2009 12:59 AM
Dec 2007
mandoric said:
RetroElectro said:
the mangaka in the train was called, 'Kurayinosuke', and the creator is Koji Kumeta.

Mangain Kurayaminosuke is what Kumeta claims his posthumous Buddhist name will be.

Oh, really? I didn't know that at all. Thanks for the info. :)
Sep 9, 2009 3:00 PM

May 2008
Simply wow.
Sep 16, 2009 3:03 PM

Nov 2007
That was terrific, favorite of the season by far. I don't think there was a single point in the episode where I lost interest or wasn't entertained. Harmui's laugh when he came back from listening to music was perfect. Most of the stuff I really enjoyed has been mentioned in the thread already.
Sep 19, 2009 11:34 AM

Aug 2009
Nice episode, death note and star wars references were awsome!^^
Sep 28, 2009 7:50 AM
Jul 2009
good episode. the dark vader part was my favorite
May 28, 2010 10:21 AM

Sep 2009
Did anyone catch the baccano reference at the train. Where they put zetsubou sensei at the edge. I laughed :D.

Credit to WingZero619 from Animesuki!!
Jun 11, 2010 2:48 PM

Apr 2008
I don't think Kino's seiyuu quite understood what he was supposed to be doing for the Zetsubou Drawing song, hahahah.
Jun 27, 2010 12:59 PM

Mar 2008
my favorite of S3
Jul 17, 2010 8:53 PM

Jul 2009
i still don't have a freaking clue wtf the stories at the beginning mean
Don't forget.
Always, somewhere,
someone is fighting for you.
As long as you remember her,
you are not alone.
Nov 6, 2010 12:22 PM

May 2010
OMG tihs was freaking fantastic! I wasn't quite as love-struck with the last style though, it was unique but that doesn't automatically make it awesome. SZS has switched to random art styles before, and honestly I liked some of those more, like that random murder mystery-type episode. What I think is amazing about this episode, and really the whole season, is how they manage to make such a fantastic anime on such a low budget. I mean, the quality is god-awful, yet somehow this is my favorite anime that I'm watching right now. Like seriously, there's a clip in the OP where the only movement is an eyeball moving around a socket. You could probably get an animation like that for 10$ or less. Yet somehow this is just as, if not more, entertaining than most big budget shows. Anyways, sorry that had little to do with the episode...
“Money can't buy dere”
Aug 16, 2011 2:01 PM

Dec 2009
I don't know why but this had a "last episode" feeling to me lol (but I know it's not over yet, of course). This episode was great, the train scene was awesome (:
Oct 17, 2011 7:15 AM

Jun 2011
I was reverse surprised when I watch this episode...a lot of things not expected to happen happens..

Confession training also good, =)

LOL at Death Note and Detective Conan references
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Zan Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Sep 26, 2009

57 by AngelFlash »»
Sep 21, 2023 2:11 AM

Poll: » Zan Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Aug 29, 2009

53 by AngelFlash »»
Sep 17, 2023 1:28 AM

Poll: » Zan Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Jul 12, 2009

79 by AngelFlash »»
Sep 10, 2023 12:05 AM

Poll: » Zan Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

grapeofdeath - Sep 19, 2009

63 by 0451 »»
Jul 29, 2021 10:22 AM

Poll: » Zan Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei Episode 11 Discussion

removed-user - Sep 12, 2009

39 by 0451 »»
Jul 28, 2021 4:25 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.