Forum Settings
Forums

Are any battle shounen anime worthy of the title 'masterpiece'?

New
Which Battle Shounen is a masterpiece?
One Piece
18.9%
Naruto (Shippuden included)
11.4%
Bleach
2.8%
Fairy Tail
3.4%
Katekyo Hitman Reborn
1.1%
Hunter x Hunter 2011
30.3%
Dragon Ball Z
8.0%
Hokuto no Ken
1.2%
Yu Yu Hakusho
6.4%
None
16.4%
760 votes
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (31) « First ... « 10 11 [12] 13 14 » ... Last »
Feb 26, 2014 6:45 AM

Jan 2014
SetsukoHara said:

I really fail to see how Gon is that different from the rest of the bunch. He is still your regular happy go lucky, reckless, rather dumb and naive shonen protagonist. Obviously he would have 2 or 3 traits that differ from the rest, but when you look at it, Naruto and Yusuke aren't exactly the same character either, and people still call them generic because thay have the traits I mentionned earlier.

Pretty much this. Maybe they tend to share some resemblance to each other but they are all have some different traits therefore they are all (at least most of them) unique.

I don't really like him, though. Maybe CA arc will change my opinion...
Feb 26, 2014 8:14 AM
Dec 2013
I cant believe that One Piece and Naruto are ranked 2nd and 3rd in this voting...Im a fan of Naruto,but this anime is nowhere a masterpiece (50% of all episodes are pointless fillers and the Great War arc sucks ass)...neither is One Piece,not with these gazillion episodes and repetitive arcs...none of these anime on that list is a masterpiece
Feb 26, 2014 8:18 AM

Feb 2010
ToG25thBaam said:
tsudecimo said:

Wow in a good way or a bad way e_e

In a bad way, I guess. I mean, if you prefer One Piece over something, then that says a lot.

About your fine taste in anime.
I probably regret this post by now.
Feb 26, 2014 8:19 AM

Jun 2011
arikatoki said:
I cant believe that One Piece and Naruto are ranked 2nd and 3rd in this voting...Im a fan of Naruto,but this anime is nowhere a masterpiece (50% of all episodes are pointless fillers and the Great War arc sucks ass)...neither is One Piece,not with these gazillion episodes and repetitive arcs...none of these anime on that list is a masterpiece

I can't believe that every titles on the list actually.. have people voting for them. Cookie please.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Feb 26, 2014 9:48 AM

Jan 2014
arikatoki said:

Nothing in this world is a masterpiece either I guess, since you rated some of them 10 yet don't think they are masterpieces.

wanderingplayboy said:
SetsukoHara said:

I really fail to see how Gon is that different from the rest of the bunch. He is still your regular happy go lucky, reckless, rather dumb and naive shonen protagonist. Obviously he would have 2 or 3 traits that differ from the rest, but when you look at it, Naruto and Yusuke aren't exactly the same character either, and people still call them generic because thay have the traits I mentionned earlier.

Pretty much this. Maybe they tend to share some resemblance to each other but they are all have some different traits therefore they are all (at least most of them) unique.

I don't really like him, though. Maybe CA arc will change my opinion...

Don't you know? If 3 or more characters share just 1 or 2 similar traits, but are very different in a multitude of others, they are still all the same. That's elitist logic for ya.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Feb 26, 2014 9:49 AM

Jan 2013
I'm appalled that YYH doesn't have more votes.
Salmon is delicious.
Feb 26, 2014 9:51 AM

Jul 2012
briefly: Gon is not looking so happy go lucky lately. In fact he is fucking scaring me.
Feb 26, 2014 12:48 PM

May 2013
One Piece is a masterpiece

Yu Yu Hakusho is the ideal shonen with no filler
Feb 26, 2014 12:52 PM

Sep 2012
SetsukoHara said:

And about that CA thing, I don't know how it's that different from say Luffy in the ID arc who decided it wasn't a problem to let dozens of criminals out of prison because he had to save his brother? Seriously, what was so different? Gon's pissed off face? LOL.

I really like Gon, because I really like regular shonen protagonist (not as much as badass Grandpa, but still...), but don't make him what he is not.
He's significantly less annoying that the retard that is Naruto at least.

daintybiscuit said:
briefly: Gon is not looking so happy go lucky lately. In fact he is fucking scaring me.
I'm more surprised at the thing he's getting scary over instead of him just being scary.
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Feb 26, 2014 12:54 PM

Nov 2010
MadaraUchiha69 said:

Actually I believe the YYH anime was a little different from the manga. I've heard one of the first arcs was changed a bit and the ending was different.
Feb 26, 2014 12:57 PM

Jul 2012
Korrvo said:
SetsukoHara said:

And about that CA thing, I don't know how it's that different from say Luffy in the ID arc who decided it wasn't a problem to let dozens of criminals out of prison because he had to save his brother? Seriously, what was so different? Gon's pissed off face? LOL.

I really like Gon, because I really like regular shonen protagonist (not as much as badass Grandpa, but still...), but don't make him what he is not.
He's significantly less annoying that the retard that is Naruto at least.

daintybiscuit said:
I'm more surprised at the thing he's getting scary over instead of him just being scary.

gotta agree with that one. i know his opponent is very powerful (despite appearance) but man he is losing it! lol
Feb 26, 2014 1:45 PM

Feb 2013
ToG25thBaam said:
tsudecimo said:

Nah, that's just me creating shit storms :3

Enjoyed it while it lasted :)

wanderingplayboy said:

Actually as a new watcher, I'm curious about that 'different' claim. How is it different?

Main characters don't get to win/fight against the final villains. People die when they are killed.

That's one of the things I like about HxH. Gon doesn't always fight the main enemy just to beat him after powering up 15 times during the fight like Ichigo and Natsu.
Feb 26, 2014 1:54 PM

Nov 2013
Hajime No Ippo, FMA, Hunter x Hunter, One Piece are all deserving of a high status
Feb 26, 2014 4:33 PM

Dec 2012
tsudecimo said:
wanderingplayboy said:

Actually as a new watcher, I'm curious about that 'different' claim. How is it different?

Gon
The Narration in the invasion
Darker(?)

I can't think of anything else.

I will add anticlimactic fights to that.
Feb 26, 2014 8:17 PM

Jan 2013
IntroverTurtle said:
MadaraUchiha69 said:

Actually I believe the YYH anime was a little different from the manga. I've heard one of the first arcs was changed a bit and the ending was different.

The ending was changed for better,as for the first arcs i don't know.
Feb 26, 2014 8:24 PM

Nov 2010
riqueterremoto said:
IntroverTurtle said:
MadaraUchiha69 said:

The ending was changed for better,as for the first arcs i don't know.
It's actually possible that it had a worse ending? Did not know that.
Feb 26, 2014 8:35 PM
Jan 2013
Hunter best shonen ever
Feb 26, 2014 8:39 PM

Nov 2013
Hunter X Hunter, while I do enjoy One Piece immensly I appreciate HxH's comparatively realistic perspective on the whole genre. Realistic meaning ALL characters are most certainly mortal, MCs are talented but still ultimately small fry for most of the story, etc.
Feb 27, 2014 2:57 AM
Jun 2011
Talking about long-running shows. Usually there is no "soul" in these shows to call them masterpiece, it disappears at a certain point of popularity, then the show keeps going for pure commercial reasons.
The only "masterpice" thing I've seen with over a hundred episodes is Legend of the Galactic Heroes, but it's not a battle shounen)
Also Gintama was a masterpiece for me for a long time. I mean many episodes were really bad, but I had that feeling that the author was having fun while making it and it was great.
mehtocFeb 27, 2014 3:00 AM
Feb 27, 2014 3:53 AM

Feb 2014
Radioskpup said:
Hunter X Hunter, while I do enjoy One Piece immensly I appreciate HxH's comparatively realistic perspective on the whole genre. Realistic meaning ALL characters are most certainly mortal, MCs are talented but still ultimately small fry for most of the story, etc.

Realism=/=better
Feb 27, 2014 6:39 AM

Jan 2014
mehtoc said:
Talking about long-running shows. Usually there is no "soul" in these shows to call them masterpiece, it disappears at a certain point of popularity, then the show keeps going for pure commercial reasons.
The only "masterpice" thing I've seen with over a hundred episodes is Legend of the Galactic Heroes, but it's not a battle shounen)
Also Gintama was a masterpiece for me for a long time. I mean many episodes were really bad, but I had that feeling that the author was having fun while making it and it was great.

There's no "soul" in shonen, but there's soul in Clannad? Ha!
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Feb 27, 2014 7:36 AM
Jun 2011
RedRoseFring said:

Why ever mention it here? Clannad has got high quality animation and a good story without fillers, at least until the supernatural begins. I loved watching it, yes, and its commercial of course but there is a great difference between short high quality commercial show and a show of fillers, flashbacks and badly animated scenes playing on watcher's desire to know what's going to happen with the character he fell in love with some years ago. I did not give a 10 to Clannad for a reason. Anyway, I think the comparison is somewhat unrelated to the topic :)
Feb 27, 2014 8:17 AM

Jan 2014
mehtoc said:
RedRoseFring said:

Why ever mention it here? Clannad has got high quality animation and a good story without fillers, at least until the supernatural begins. I loved watching it, yes, and its commercial of course but there is a great difference between short high quality commercial show and a show of fillers, flashbacks and badly animated scenes playing on watcher's desire to know what's going to happen with the character he fell in love with some years ago. I did not give a 10 to Clannad for a reason. Anyway, I think the comparison is somewhat unrelated to the topic :)

Oh, but it IS related. You said shonen's don't have soul, and now you're talking about animation quality and fillers. So is one to conclude that good animation & no fillers = soul?
And how does LOGH have soul but shounen's don't?
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Feb 27, 2014 8:19 AM
Jul 2013
Why are people putting Clannad's name into Shounen discussion when it is Seinen? Do people not realize their demographics yet? Do they still think they're genres?

OT: Naruto.
Everyone in the community is shit taste.
Feb 27, 2014 8:22 AM

Sep 2013
mehtoc said:

I do agree. Once the creator starts to milk his popular series by continuing it for hundreds of chapters, it does lose its charm. And naturally the plot often gets shitty, like in Naruto.
Feb 27, 2014 8:53 AM

Apr 2011
66 votes for Nauro hauehauheau ;D This poll knows how to make me laugh. None, or DBZ (only because of sentiment).
Feb 27, 2014 9:50 AM

Jan 2014
TheGrandSage23 said:
Radioskpup said:

Realism=/=better

Realism =/= worse

I think his point is that HxH takes itself seriously so the action department is more believable and makes it more intense, which is a crucial part for an action-adventure series. And ultimately the story. Additionally, aiming to approach events and themes reflective of real-life perspectives in a more realistic way is actually better
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 27, 2014 9:52 AM

Feb 2010
dratlam said:
Why are people putting Clannad's name into Shounen discussion when it is Seinen? Do people not realize their demographics yet? Do they still think they're genres?

OT: Naruto.

Cause THAT'S the part of this thread title that doesn't fit Clannad. If we were talking about Battle SEINEN Clannad would be talked about non-stop.
I probably regret this post by now.
Feb 27, 2014 9:53 AM

Aug 2012
I'm deeply disappointed with the so may votes for Naruto Shippuden.

Who the fuck voted for Katekyo Hitman Reborn? Even Inuyasha is better

OP is a masterpiece anyway
Feb 27, 2014 10:02 AM

Dec 2012
lupadim said:

According to statistics?
Feb 27, 2014 10:07 AM

Aug 2012
tsudecimo said:
lupadim said:
According to statistics?
They are the only available source in that situation
Feb 27, 2014 10:10 AM

Aug 2013
Rurouni Kenshin and Saint Seiya need to be added to the poll.
Feb 27, 2014 10:12 AM

Nov 2010
DrGeroCreation said:
Remember that convo we had about DBZ Kai? It's the same with Rurouni.
Feb 27, 2014 10:15 AM

Aug 2013
IntroverTurtle said:
DrGeroCreation said:
Remember that convo we had about DBZ Kai? It's the same with Rurouni.
All it needed was just 5 more episodes to qualify :(
Feb 27, 2014 10:24 AM

Oct 2013
N
lupadim said:
tsudecimo said:
lupadim said:
According to statistics?
They are the only available source in that situation

Not always statistics show the quality of an anime but in this case I agree. HxH ranked No16...
"Laugh, and the world laughs with you; Weep, and you weep alone". Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Feb 27, 2014 10:25 AM

Aug 2012
Peopel that voted at HxH2011 definitely didn't catch with the anime yet. It is so damn slow, full of fillers and such. Like One Piece, yes, but One Piece's fillers and stretches have a charm.
Feb 27, 2014 10:27 AM

Dec 2012
lupadim said:
Peopel that voted at HxH2011 definitely didn't catch with the anime yet. It is so damn slow, full of fillers and such. Like One Piece, yes, but One Piece's fillers and stretches have a charm.

It doesn't have fillers. It's a remake.
Feb 27, 2014 10:28 AM

Aug 2012
tsudecimo said:
lupadim said:

It doesn't have fillers. It's a remake.
What? I thought all the shitty moments in the anime were fillers. It seems the Manga sucks as well.
Feb 27, 2014 10:41 AM

Jan 2014
judals said:
TheGrandSage23 said:
Radioskpup said:

Realism=/=better

Realism =/= worse

I think his point is that HxH takes itself seriously so the action department is more believable and makes it more intense, which is a crucial part for an action-adventure series. And ultimately the story. Additionally, aiming to approach events and themes reflective of real-life perspectives in a more realistic way is actually better

More realistic =/= better action.
Actually, many will say that the more outlandish the powers involved, the better the fight and more evident the creativity.

Also, applying real life perspective to a non-real life situation is not necessarily a good thing either. The perspective taken should be that of the world of the show itself, not our world.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Feb 27, 2014 10:46 AM

Jan 2014
The bigger the scale, the wider the audience, the less creative it gets.
With few exceptions.

That's what hxh does better, while fights are scarce, they surpass the other shonens in most aspects save for scale and the explosive looks of it.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 27, 2014 10:48 AM

Mar 2012
So few votes to Hitman Reborn? I'm surprised.
Kuroookoooooo-chin!
Feb 27, 2014 10:51 AM

Jan 2014
Kuro-chin said:
So few votes to Hitman Reborn? I'm surprised.

At least three votes were out of pity from people who were gonna vote on another, if that's any consolation
Feb 27, 2014 11:00 AM

Jun 2012
I'm more shocked at FT than KHR
Feb 27, 2014 11:48 AM

Oct 2013
lupadim said:

No charm whatsoever.. just your preference. 10 episodes of running and nothing literally happening is not charming. As it is my preference to like slow paced episodes of HxH...

Yea when HxH finishes it might be ranked in the top 10 as far as I am concerned. It was No17 yesterday and it's N016 today. All looks good.
"Laugh, and the world laughs with you; Weep, and you weep alone". Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Feb 27, 2014 12:10 PM

Jan 2014
judals said:
The bigger the scale, the wider the audience, the less creative it gets.
With few exceptions.

That's what hxh does better, while fights are scarce, they surpass the other shonens in most aspects save for scale and the explosive looks of it.

I completely disagree. The bigger the scale, the more room for creativity. That's kinda intuitive actually. That makes room for so much more as you please a wider audience. You get references to pop culture, childhood, different mindsets and overall greater variety.

I'd say that HxH's fight do not have as much variety as those of other shonen. And though it provides a set of intelligent fights, it is outshone by other shonen that can provide that and much more, from bombastic fights to symbolic, wacky, purely comedic, intense and even 1-shot fights. A fight does not have to be explosive to be good.

One thing that HxH does very well in fights in comparison to other shonen is the tension, and fight condition system, but not much else.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Feb 27, 2014 12:19 PM

Jan 2014
Yeah because DBZ is the most creative.
It actually takes away space from creativity. Look at Enel's lightning powers, there's no creativity, lightning tiger, lightning bunny, lightning poo,
100 volts, million volts, 5 million volts and so on.
Naruto, similarily now is just explosive this, elemental rasengan that, I give you the 59th half of my chakra. Compared to fights such as Kakashi vs Mist ninja, and the like.

If larger scale truly makes it easier to be creative then all the more testament for the shortcomings of authors who adapt that scale.

A writer that can do so much with a small power alone versus ones who just try to make them as 'epic' as possible.

How does it lack variety? It offers fights from choreographic, to psychological, to trickery and deception.

The lack of tension (due to improper/lackluster writing) and quality animation also contributes to not helping the rest win this case,
The others just offer beat-em-up and power of will fights over the course of 300+ episodes.
Feb 27, 2014 12:20 PM

Apr 2013
I consider Hunter X Hunter a masterpiece, yes.

lupadim said:
Peopel that voted at HxH2011 definitely didn't catch with the anime yet.

Well, you're wrong.
Feb 27, 2014 12:20 PM

May 2013
All I can say is that I'm pleasant suprised that HxH is leading this poll, these polls are usually a popularity contest. All series have their flaws, HxH is no exception but it's in my opinion the closest thing to 'a masterpiece'.

Naruto gets way to much hate, arcs like Land of Waves, Chunin exam, Sasuke retrieval, Hidan and Kakuzu, Itachi pursuit and Invasion of pain were all awesome. Personally I enjoy Naruto way more then One Piece.
''We don't know what kind of people we truly are until the moment before our deaths. As death comes to embrace you, you will realise what you are. That's what death is, don't you think?'' - Uchiha Itachi
Feb 27, 2014 12:25 PM

Jan 2014
SaSa-Zoldyck said:
All I can say is that I'm pleasant suprised that HxH is leading this poll, these polls are usually a popularity contest. All series have their flaws, HxH is no exception but it's in my opinion the closest thing to 'a masterpiece'.

Naruto gets way to much hate, arcs like Land of Waves, Chunin exam, Sasuke retrieval, Hidan and Kakuzu, Itachi pursuit and Invasion of pain were all awesome. Personally I enjoy Naruto way more then One Piece.

Itachi pursuit is one of the most overrated arcs, the character favortism plays an obvious part, but the arc itself was weak.
Hidan and Kakuzu is the series' swan song.
Chuunin exam was enjoyable but felt like a chinese knockoff of another exam arc imo. More fights, less tension.

Pain's invasion, I can agree on that, but the ending of the arc is where the series completely crumbled for me. It's betrayal.
Feb 27, 2014 12:30 PM

Jun 2013
judals said:
SaSa-Zoldyck said:

Itachi pursuit is one of the most overrated arcs, the character favortism plays an obvious part, but the arc itself was weak.
Hidan and Kakuzu is the series' swan song.
Chuunin exam was enjoyable but felt like a chinese knockoff of another exam arc imo. More fights, less tension.

Pain's invasion, I can agree on that, but the ending of the arc is where the series completely crumbled for me. It's betrayal.

Wanna know what really fucked up Pain ending in anime? Shitty adaptation? I mean, do you people even remember how Tendo Pain vs Kyuubi looked like? Same shit happened in Naruto- Naruto vs Sasuke..And there was a minute where Kyuubi attack on Konoha looked like a child drew it..I MEAN WHAT THE FUCK?
Ad Astra Per Aspera
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (31) « First ... « 10 11 [12] 13 14 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Visual Novels — General Thread

Shizuna - 3 hours ago

18 by Memore »»
3 seconds ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others? ( 1 2 )

WatchTillTandava - Yesterday

59 by Saiunknown »»
9 minutes ago

» Why do people complain about "rapey" characters in anime? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

50 by Phloup »»
9 minutes ago

» Is there any specific setting or theme you’re biased to

nishant0 - 56 minutes ago

8 by ToG25thBaam »»
10 minutes ago

» Tell me why older anime is better that newer anime. ( 1 2 )

fluffycow17 - Mar 24, 2021

61 by Saiunknown »»
15 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.