Forum Settings
Forums
New
How many years is acceptable for you to date someone?
Must be of same age group
2.5%
1-2 yrs
14.3%
3-5 yrs
38.7%
6-10 yrs
13.6%
Age is nothing but a number
30.9%
447 votes
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (8) « First ... « 6 7 [8]
Jan 24, 2010 5:37 PM

Nov 2008
personally, older than me by 1-8 years is acceptable for me.
Jan 24, 2010 5:56 PM

Apr 2008
Is it that bad if my dad who is 60 just got engaged to a 26 year old and I am 24? lol He is just an old pervert I swear....
SevenJan 24, 2010 6:01 PM
Jan 24, 2010 6:03 PM

Feb 2009
For me, i'd say 1-3 years.

For others, I could care less. Minus my friends and sisters. If they dated some slime who was 11 years older, i'd express my feelings on it. But, it truly depends on the person.

Though, I do have a friend that dated a seventh grader when she was a senior. That was a strange situation. o_O She isn't a friend much anymore.

Jan 24, 2010 6:15 PM

Aug 2009
I've been thinking about this lately. In a way I think it would be fun dating someone of a totally different age. A couple of months ago this guy started talking to me on the subway and I found out he was still in high school (he assumed I was his age and not my real age which is 22, I look really young) and afterwards I was like 'what would have happened if I had given him my number or something, and gone out with him. I could have gone to high school parties in this city (which is a much bigger and crazier one than where I grew up), I could have relived my highschool experience (which was quite crappy the first time around) and pretended I was still 17, lolololol" And then I was like"NONONONO that is just creepy". It's not illegal here I'm pretty sure, but still creepy. I must be having a quarter life crisis to be having those thoughts XD

Anyway, then after that I was thinking about what it would be like dating a man much older than me. And my thought process was kind of like this "well, it would be almost like a Lolita love story since I still look 17. And he would probably have tons of money and could take me out for nice dinners and stuff. And I could stay at his fancy apartment instead of my crappy student bachelorette mouse hole in the wall".

And then I realized that older men have feelings too and that it is probably quite insensitive to date one just because his apartment has a gorgeous view of the downtown area *sighs wistfully*

Anyway, then I remembered that I don't particularly like dating and am quite happy being by myself. Ah well.

Jan 24, 2010 6:32 PM
Nov 2008
I find this "...standard age rule..." where one must take away such a number and add such a number is ludicrous. I believe that at the time when 'it' happens at that moment when two feel that present time is right, then go for it. Your sub-conscience mind at the time will supersede your vote here. Having that said, I didn't vote.

What makes me think this you might ask, I know an old couple that lives not too far from me that have an eleven year gap in their age.

Oh yeah, and at the moment I'd say 1-2 years. I don't know for sure if I'll actually live up to it or not. As far as I'm concerned, if there is a standard rule, besides legal of course, the matter will be dealt with by your common-sense... unless you're some kind of an extreme-entrepreneur. (...sarcasm)
Jan 24, 2010 6:37 PM

May 2009
naeCeal said:
I believe that at the time when 'it' happens at that moment when two feel that present time is right, then go for it. Your sub-conscience mind at the time will supersede your vote here. Having that said, I didn't vote.

Now that's the kind of thinking that gets you into trouble. XD

Also, you know, you could have voted for "Age is nothing but a number". Isn't that basically what you're saying?
Jan 24, 2010 6:50 PM
Nov 2008
xxxHolic_Waltz said:
Now that's the kind of thinking that gets you into trouble. XD

Funny that you mention it. I had this typed out and ready to post, but knowing the level of sensitivity of the topic here, I hesitatedstalled to post it immediately. XD

xxxHolic_Waltz said:
Also, you know, you could have voted for "Age is nothing but a number". Isn't that basically what you're saying?

Nope, because age is more than a number here, and it is considered as you age. Only that I don't agree with the standard rule that was posted earlier on in this thread. Non-the-less, I do see what you mean. Also, I tend to throw in some of my current thoughts that pass through my mind at the time into my posts, so expect the unexpected when you see my post (...usually for "argument's sake" itself). XD
Jan 24, 2010 7:00 PM

Jan 2010
when people are teenagers its all iffy. It just depends on their personalities.

when your older I say kudos to the guy who can pick up a young hot chick.

my uncles 47 and with a 28 year old. She has huge boobs and tattoos so I gave him a high five lol.

I'm straight (I just had one incident XD) and I hang out with guys too much lmao

Jan 24, 2010 7:22 PM

May 2009
naeCeal said:
Nope, because age is more than a number here, and it is considered as you age. Only that I don't agree with the standard rule that was posted earlier on in this thread. Non-the-less, I do see what you mean. Also, I tend to throw in some of my current thoughts that pass through my mind at the time into my posts, so expect the unexpected when you see my post (...usually for "argument's sake" itself). XD

Lol, I can see that train of thought passing on by... I used to do that with essays. >_<"

Anyway I like to think age is, in all actuality nothing but a number. One that certain people make a fuss about. It's really up to the individual to figure out if they want to seek the companionship of someone younger, their age, or older. If it is an issue, although physical age alone isn't usually the biggest concern. At least I hope it isn't, there are far worse things to worry about than a mere age gap. Although it's not out of the ordinary for people to honestly "click" and worry about trivial things such as age difference later on and how they will be perceived by their friends/family members.

Bringing it back to the OP's point. Regardless of an age gap. If they're both happy, then who cares if someone thinks it is or is not socially acceptable? I know I wouldn't nor do I look at a couple with some sort of disgust when I see a significant age gap.
Jan 24, 2010 8:02 PM
Nov 2008
xxxHolic_Waltz said:
Lol, I can see that train of thought passing on by... I used to do that with essays. >_<"

Hahah, yes! I do it all the time in all honesty. I try to keep my frame of mind static upon seeing a topic on the board, but it doesn't turn out that way in the end, and in turn people interpret my post as my actual personal view. XD

The reason why I do that, is because I see an opening to take the opposite side in an argument just for the sake of it, contrary to my actual beliefs. I view it as an opportunity to get my slice of the cake, so to speak.

xxxHolic_Waltz said:
Anyway I like to think age is, in all actuality nothing but a number.

Don't we all? XD

xxxHolic_Waltz said:
It's really up to the individual to figure out if they want to seek the companionship of someone younger, their age, or older.

...only that you must consider how much younger that person you want is... or worse yet, older. (...on a male's side)

xxxHolic_Waltz said:
there are far worse things to worry about than a mere age gap.

Do tell.

xxxHolic_Waltz said:
Although it's not out of the ordinary for people to honestly "click" and worry about trivial things such as age difference later on and how they will be perceived by their friends/family members.

I see your point. However consider this, If one is shy, it's not easy to just not be shy, as some would say. You get the gist.

xxxHolic_Waltz said:
If they're both happy, then who cares if someone thinks it is or is not socially acceptable? I know I wouldn't nor do I look at a couple with some sort of disgust when I see a significant age gap.

That is quite true. Nothing to say there. ...unless you notice a young guy with an old lady.
ChellleFeb 10, 2010 7:52 AM
Jan 24, 2010 8:44 PM

Jun 2008
Well at my age (14) 5 years is a big age gap, whereas when you're older it doesn't make that much of a difference. Right now, I wouldn't date more than 2 years older or younger.
Jan 25, 2010 5:05 AM

May 2009

Lol, I'm too half asleep and lazy to specifically quote sections. So I'll just spoiler the entire quote so it isn't a huge post. XD

Anyway, I'd rather not get into specifics, since I don't particularly like posting details about my personal life but when I was around 15. I got into a relationship with someone around 6-7 years older, which lasted about 7 years or so as well. While the age gap, was an issue at times. There are, like I said, tons of things to think about in a relationship than just that. That is partially why I think age is nothing but a number, especially since people don't really act their sometimes and why I don't see anything wrong with age gaps in relationships. They (relationships) all require work, some more than others.
Jan 25, 2010 11:56 PM

Jan 2010
Ehh, i'm a male myself.

I don't mind dating a 18 year-old when i'm like 40. :P
Mar 8, 2010 3:38 PM

Aug 2009
i can go 10years up or down..but more than that is kinda..no thank you..^^;;;
Mar 8, 2010 5:34 PM
Feb 2010
Scud said:
I don't date people.

lol, is your real name Suzumiya Haruhi?

I'd only date someone same age or up to 4 years older, though that'd probably change as I age. The reason is that I'd like someone who can share the things I'm going through right now (school, graduating, then searching for a job, building a career, etc.). I don't want someone who's seen it all and walked all the way there and back; I want someone to walk with, same pace and place.

Mar 8, 2010 5:38 PM

Mar 2010
So I'm not the only one who doesn't date? Damn, there goes unique through the floor boards.

Well in any case, most likely anyone old with a way younger gf, the girl is a whore. And really likes the taste of dust.
Mar 8, 2010 6:00 PM

Oct 2009
Mystere said:
Scud said:
I don't date people.

lol, is your real name Suzumiya Haruhi?

I'd only date someone same age or up to 4 years older, though that'd probably change as I age. The reason is that I'd like someone who can share the things I'm going through right now (school, graduating, then searching for a job, building a career, etc.). I don't want someone who's seen it all and walked all the way there and back; I want someone to walk with, same pace and place.

I'm along the same lines except I'd date someone 3-5 years older or 3-4 years younger than me.
Mar 13, 2010 6:44 PM

Oct 2008
There's this 33-year-old rock star I'd dig into ;] , 17-16 years isn't too bad I think haha...
Mar 13, 2010 7:04 PM

Dec 2009
why limit yourself with an age barrier?
thats the real question
Mar 13, 2010 7:34 PM

Dec 2009
I have a family friend who is a mensa genius, he's got an IQ of over 180 or something
he married a woman twice his age when he was 17 and they are some of the happiest and nicest people I've ever met.

age is kinda relevant, but maturity is what really matters.
Mar 13, 2010 7:36 PM

Aug 2008
Launchpad said:
thats the real question

The closer the age-range... the greater the commonalities. But yea... sometimes, it is better to expand the age-range... when needed.
Click on this. I dare you. | MAL Fantasy Football League | Currently Watching List

RWBY Club. RWBY is anime. Deal with it.

Mar 14, 2010 4:09 AM

Jan 2010
Depends. The older the person, the larger the gap can be(up to a certain point). A 10 year gap in your teens is creepy and just wrong, but ok when your like 40. The certain point would depend on the person(15 for me).
Score Criteria:
Apr 12, 2010 3:59 AM
Mar 2010
I like 30 years old Korean women.
Apr 12, 2010 4:09 AM

Jan 2010
There should never be an age gap.
Its just that this world has come to a point where many would stereotype when seeing a couple with a large age difference as just 'weird'
Face it, its weird I agree, but its not wrong as long as what is going on is sensible.

KyuuAL said:
Launchpad said:
thats the real question

The closer the age-range... the greater the commonalities. But yea... sometimes, it is better to expand the age-range... when needed.

Exactly, and its not as if we see 3 or more out of 10 couples doing so.

Apr 12, 2010 6:17 AM
Feb 2010
I'm seventeen, eighteen at the end of the year. Right now, I wouldn't date anyone older than 20.
Apr 12, 2010 8:30 AM

Aug 2007
stirfry said:
There should never be an age gap.
Its just that this world has come to a point where many would stereotype when seeing a couple with a large age difference as just 'weird'
Face it, its weird I agree, but its not wrong as long as what is going on is sensible.

KyuuAL said:
Launchpad said:
thats the real question

Exactly, and its not as if we see 3 or more out of 10 couples doing so.

The problem though is if it's an older guy dating a younger girl then most likely all he cares about is sex.
Apr 12, 2010 10:53 AM

Oct 2007
The number of people who voted age is nothing but a number (which can be considered >10 years) freaks me out.

3-5 at most is optimum for me

life is a dream
~death is reality
Apr 12, 2010 10:58 AM

Oct 2009
It's better than seeing an 80 year old granny bitching with her 34 year old honey,right?
Apr 12, 2010 11:01 AM

May 2008
If it's legal, then what's the problem?
Apr 12, 2010 11:19 AM

Mar 2010
xXnagashiXx said:
The number of people who voted age is nothing but a number (which can be considered >10 years) freaks me out.

Eh, yea I choose this option
Yup said:

lol, legal is different in each state but you could say your following the lowest state's rules if questioned.
Apr 12, 2010 11:29 AM

Feb 2008
Yup said:

Every country has it different. In Vietnam it is against law, for people to date if they have not yet reached the age, of adulthood. I'd say it much more about morale and dignity (maybe morale only). Well, if two people truly loves each other, so why not.
The Tao that can be told is not the eternal Tao. The name that can be named is not the eternal name. The nameless is the beginning of heaven and Earth. The named is the mother of the ten thousand things.
I do not recall, Jesus ever saying "build churches, temples, and kill those who doesn't follow christianity..." nor he said "christianity is religion".
News for VN immigrants in EU: vietinfo.eu

Apr 12, 2010 11:51 AM

Aug 2007
xXnagashiXx said:

You should be freaked out you hot, hot loli.
Apr 12, 2010 6:28 PM

Nov 2008
I'd say 6-10 years would be the max.Most likely I wouldn't share near enough stuff in common to make it work with someone 15+ years older than me.
Apr 13, 2010 12:06 AM

Mar 2010
I voted 3-5, but I'm probably less likely to go lower than I am to go higher. I'm 23 myself, so I'd prefer not to date a girl I can't go out to a bar/club/whatever with because she's under 21. I tend to date women older than myself anyways though, but I think yeah over 28 would be kind of pushing it. But hey, you never know. Love can be crazy like that.
Apr 13, 2010 12:43 AM

Sep 2009
I voted 6-10, though I could probably go up to 15 - older guys though, not younger. The person I'm interested in right now is ~12 years older than me anyway, so it's not that big a deal to me. I wouldn't really date younger guys, never been into that.
Apr 13, 2010 5:18 PM

Oct 2009
12 weeks at the most, otherwise its just disgusting
IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAND !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Apr 13, 2010 7:35 PM

Jul 2008
love is love. if u feel connected to the person and feel ur on the same wavelength and the younger person is mature enough to handle that short of relationship then wuts the problem. of course I don't like seeing a 14 year old dating a 30 year old..that just wrong in so many ways but when ur older i don't really see any problem. I'm 20 and I could date a guy over 30 if I happened to like the guy but then again I don't think I could ever date anyone under my own age.

I didn't want to hurt you but you're pretty when you cry. I didn't really love you but I'm pretty when I lie.

Apr 13, 2010 7:59 PM

May 2008
If they love each other enough then sure. As long as it isn't anything iilegal.
For me though, I can only see myself dating someone 2~3 years older than me.

Apr 13, 2010 9:48 PM

Aug 2007
Leffy said:
love is love. if u feel connected to the person and feel ur on the same wavelength and the younger person is mature enough to handle that short of relationship then wuts the problem. of course I don't like seeing a 14 year old dating a 30 year old..that just wrong in so many ways but when ur older i don't really see any problem. I'm 20 and I could date a guy over 30 if I happened to like the guy but then again I don't think I could ever date anyone under my own age.

I already mentioned why it's usually bad for girls to date a much older guy.
Apr 14, 2010 12:40 AM

Feb 2009
One of my friends, who is 24, is getting married to a 43 year old. thats just too old for myself, my limit is somewhere like 5/6 years older, 5 years younger however is too young, i wouldnt go past 2 or even 1 year younger
Apr 14, 2010 5:38 AM

Mar 2010
I know two couples with big age differences - one's 15 and 25. Another's 18 and 50-something. Not nice.
Apr 14, 2010 5:47 AM

Aug 2009
3-5 is my ideal gap although I don't think it really matters when love is involved.
Apr 14, 2010 7:19 PM

Dec 2008
For me, personally I wouldn't go anymore than maybe 5 years younger or older. But in my family, I have relatives that have 15 year age gaps.

Also, one of my friend's parents have a 25 year age gap.
How long would it take to earn 50 million yen, Karasawa? - Katsuya
No longer than it would take to get to the bank, provided I have a gun. -Karasawa
I'm through talking with you. -Katsuya
Apr 14, 2010 9:22 PM

Feb 2010
cb27ded said:
For me, personally I wouldn't go anymore than maybe 5 years younger or older. But in my family, I have relatives that have 15 year age gaps.

Also, one of my friend's parents have a 25 year age gap.
people nowadays fret over couples with 5 year age gaps or something like that, while in the past there were 60 year olds marrying 15 year old girls..

Apr 29, 2010 1:18 AM

Apr 2010
4 tha most part i feel its not a big deal as long as the 2 ppl feel a connection nd r on the same page but sumtimes tooo old or yung iz a prob
like 18 + 60 wtf wuld u do with a 60 year old person
[Catchy, cool, insightful quote]
Apr 29, 2010 1:50 AM

Feb 2009
for me 6-10 yrs maybe is the good limit...
personally, me and my BF have an age gap of 7 yrs and we're fine with it.. hope it lasts :)
there's no much big deal about it' if both of you are okay with it and you two get along well..

but tell you, i had this BF before, we had an eight yrs gap.. at first it was okay but then as days, weeks, months, goes on... he become skeptical and grew conscious of our age gap.. though, it was an influence from his group of friends that made him think that our age gap is a big problem... and it was really difficult to fix it up...
Infatuation can only hold the mind for a max. of 4 months
Apr 29, 2010 3:10 AM

Sep 2008
MondayBlues said:
people nowadays fret over couples with 5 year age gaps or something like that, while in the past there were 60 year olds marrying 15 year old girls..

see that's where I'd draw the line....instead of marriage, that sounds more borderline to slave-trading....i mean can you even imagine wanting to bump'n'grind with a 60yr old at 15?? you can only see that kind of thing in hentai where the dad or mom is in debt and they sell off their kids....totally wrong
Apr 29, 2010 4:22 AM
Sep 2009
I know of a woman in her 20s engaged to a 53 year old guy.

Definitely creepy.
Apr 29, 2010 4:27 AM

Jul 2009
For me.
Nothing more than 8 years older.
As for younger I guess there is no limit =P
あらあら。。。^^
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (8) « First ... « 6 7 [8]

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.