Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (124) « First ... « 108 109 [110] 111 112 » ... Last »
Apr 8, 2016 10:47 AM
Mar 2014
ichii_1 said:
Togashi is serious about returning this time, maybe the anime will come back withing this decade.
google translate version :)
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1491103#msg45522372

I just hope it's not another 1 chapter tease i can't handle that annymore.
Apr 11, 2016 6:50 AM
Oct 2013
bigivelfhq said:
8/4/20

Day of 2nd episode and only a small increase

I already called that the execution of the Anime version was a terrible idea.
BNHA is slow as fuck. Toei or Pierrot would have been better choices for an adaptation, with decent animation, let´s say Naruto canon or early One Piece quality would do.
Apr 11, 2016 7:41 AM

Oct 2013
My error, the day that Hero Academia aired in TV is 10, not 9. It was able to get 4 old volumes in the Top 50, let's hope this time it is able to stay, or even improve, that mark until the next episode.

One Piece strangely got volume 16 in the ranking in number 382. Normally only 3-4 of the most "recent" old volumes appear in the Ranking(top 500)

Golden Kamuy and Assassination Classroom are also in boost. Golden Kamuy when it gets an anime adaptation, somewhere in the future can possible be a big thing.
Apr 11, 2016 7:46 AM

Mar 2015
bigivelfhq said:
Golden Kamuy when it gets an anime adaptation, somewhere in the future can possible be a big thing.
i would jizz my pants if it actually happened. but i think it gonna full cencored.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Apr 11, 2016 9:08 AM

Sep 2013
So much for the next naruto XD LMAO

The real next big thing is Hinomaru Zumou, it will revive the sumo industry itself.
Apr 11, 2016 9:54 AM

Oct 2013
bigivelfhq said:
8/4/2016

**7º - My Hero Academia volume 8
*66º - My Hero Academia volume 7
*73º - My Hero Academia volume 1
*74º - My Hero Academia volume 2
*81º - My Hero Academia volume 3
*90º - My Hero Academia volume 6
*91º - My Hero Academia volume 4
*97º - My Hero Academia volume 5
143º - My Hero Academia Smash! volume 1

Boost already decreasing. Let's see if by the day of the 2nd episode it increases

9/4/2016

**5º - My Hero Academia volume 8
*67º - My Hero Academia volume 7
*75º - My Hero Academia volume 1
*77º - My Hero Academia volume 2
*75º - My Hero Academia volume 5
*80º - My Hero Academia volume 3
*82º - My Hero Academia volume 4
*84º - My Hero Academia volume 6
186º - My Hero Academia Smash! volume 1

Day of 2nd episode and only a small increase

10/4/2016

**5º - My Hero Academia volume 8
*36º - My Hero Academia volume 1
*39º - My Hero Academia volume 2
*40º - My Hero Academia volume 7
*44º - My Hero Academia volume 3
*63º - My Hero Academia volume 4
*67º - My Hero Academia volume 6
*69º - My Hero Academia volume 5
217º - My Hero Academia Smash! volume 1

Sorry for my ignorance, but this is the manga boost correct? You also said it was able to get four old volumes in the top 50. So does that mean I should expect to see 4 old volumes of boku no hero in the top 50 weekly manga thread this week? Like how does this work? Is it like a stalker thread?
Apr 11, 2016 10:18 AM

Oct 2013
@keragamming

The Top 50 Oricon is a weekly ranking, this one is a daily.

This one also doesn't have sales numbers, just ranking, so we don't really know how it sold, just know that it sold less or more than something else.
This means that something can be 1st in one day and 2nd all other days of the week, and still end up 1st in the weekly ranking(1st days sold 100k more than the 2nd, each of other days of the week sold 10k less than the previously 2nd. Making a 100k-60k = 40k more sales)

Last Top 50 Oricon weekly ranking ended in Apr 3, so from April 4 to 10 is the values that will appear in this week Top 50 Oricon weekly ranking.

Looking from April 4 to 10, we have that volumes 1,2,3,4, 7 and 8 are the only ones that possible will appear in the weekly ranking, because each one of them appeared at least 1 time in the Top 50. Volume 8 will certainly appear, because it appeared all weeks inside the interval. Volume 7 is the next one with biggest chances, it appeared 5 times in the Top 50. Volume 2 and 3 appeared 4 times. Volume 4 probably will not appear, given that only 1 week got in the ranking.
So if I'm gonna guess My Hero Academia will get from 2 to 4 volumes in the Top 50 weekly ranking this week.
Apr 11, 2016 10:33 AM

Oct 2013
bigivelfhq said:
@keragamming

The Top 50 Oricon is a weekly ranking, this one is a daily.

This one also doesn't have sales numbers, just ranking, so we don't really know how it sold, just know that it sold less or more than something else.
This means that something can be 1st in one day and 2nd all other days of the week, and still end up 1st in the weekly ranking(1st days sold 100k more than the 2nd, each of other days of the week sold 10k less than the previously 2nd. Making a 100k-60k = 40k more sales)

Last Top 50 Oricon weekly ranking ended in Apr 3, so from April 4 to 10 is the values that will appear in this week Top 50 Oricon weekly ranking.

Looking from April 4 to 10, we have that volumes 1,2,3,4, 7 and 8 are the only ones that possible will appear in the weekly ranking, because each one of them appeared at least 1 time in the Top 50. Volume 8 will certainly appear, because it appeared all weeks inside the interval. Volume 7 is the next one with biggest chances, it appeared 5 times in the Top 50. Volume 2 and 3 appeared 4 times. Volume 4 probably will not appear, given that only 1 week got in the ranking.
So if I'm gonna guess My Hero Academia will get from 2 to 4 volumes in the Top 50 weekly ranking this week.

Oh, so is that type of boost considered to be impressive or average?
Apr 11, 2016 11:08 AM

Oct 2013
For now is good, we're only in the first week influenced by the anime. Many things can change.
Is worth notice though that a ton of other series had a bigger boost during these time.
For example, Nanatsu no Taizai started getting a boost even before the anime 1st episode and getting many days(from the 1st week) with all 10 volumes in the top 50(in reality in Top 40).

I believe for the first week looks similar with Tokyo Ghoul, with getting a boost and than starting to decrease as the week continues, until the next episode comes out. Still Tokyo ghoul did better getting days with 9 volumes of 12 in the Top 50(Hero Academia only has right now 8 volumes).
Apr 11, 2016 11:24 AM

Apr 2013
keragamming said:
Oh, so is that type of boost considered to be impressive or average?

I used to check it daily back when One Punch Man was airing and I don't remember ever seeing any of its backlog volumes reach that high. Gotta say most of them were in the 20/30/40s, though. I'm expecting most of BNHA to have most of its volumes rank and sell about 20/25k this week, which is good.
5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...
Apr 11, 2016 11:48 AM

Oct 2013
Ok, cool I got it. So when the anime finishes this may sell between 600k-700k like opm maybe?
Apr 11, 2016 11:54 AM
Oct 2013
keragamming said:
Ok, cool I got it. So when the anime finishes this may sell between 600k-700k like opm maybe?

Even better TBH. BNHA had a higher fanbase before the OPM Anime aired, so depending on how people over in Japan receive it it can even climb up to top 10.
Apr 11, 2016 12:09 PM

Sep 2011
Last time I'll say this

Talking about sales to discuss what the next big thing will be is allowed. However, turning this thread into a general sales thread is not allowed. If you do this, I will be forced to remove your post.

I will ignore the rule-breaking posts this time. The next time I won't.
Apr 11, 2016 12:24 PM

Oct 2013
Isterio said:
keragamming said:

Even better TBH. BNHA had a higher fanbase before the OPM Anime aired, so depending on how people over in Japan receive it it can even climb up to top 10.

No it isn't opm sold like 500k before the anime aired, opm has a bigger fanbase than boku no hero.

@Tyrel is this allowed since we are talking about the next big thing which is supposedly boku no hero acadamia?
Apr 11, 2016 12:33 PM

Sep 2011
keragamming said:
Isterio said:

No it isn't opm sold like 500k before the anime aired, opm has a bigger fanbase than boku no hero.

@Tyrel is this allowed since we are talking about the next big thing which is supposedly boku no hero acadamia?
If you're talking about it becoming the next big three in terms of anime, yes. You need to remember this is not a manga sales thread...
Apr 11, 2016 10:32 PM
Oct 2013
Tyrel said:
keragamming said:

If you're talking about it becoming the next big three in terms of anime, yes. You need to remember this is not a manga sales thread...

Well in a sense we do as the Anime in this case works only in conjunction with the Manga. If the Manga doesn´t sale the Anime won´t be popular and the other way around. We are interested in the effects of the Anime towards the manga and if the impact is big enough it could be responsible for a second season.

Therefore we do talk about the Anime indirectly at least as the Manga and Anime work off each other.

I doubt that an Anime only adaptation has the potential to reach the status the "Big 3" had so this should be perfectly discussable, furthermore we do not spoil any Manga material because we do not talk about the Manga material, but what impact the Manga can have for it´s future and that includes the Anime.
Apr 11, 2016 10:33 PM

Sep 2011
Isterio said:
Tyrel said:

Well in a sense we do as the Anime in this case works only in conjunction with the Manga. If the Manga doesn´t sale the Anime won´t be popular and the other way around. We are interested in the effects of the Anime towards the manga and if the impact is big enough it could be responsible for a second season.

Therefore we do talk about the Anime indirectly at least as the Manga and Anime work off each other.
From what I've seen, manga sales have been talked about in here too much without any talks going toward its anime counterpart. And then there's actual manga talk in here which isn't allowed.
Apr 11, 2016 10:39 PM
Oct 2013
Tyrel said:
Isterio said:

From what I've seen, manga sales have been talked about in here too much without any talks going toward its anime counterpart. And then there's actual manga talk in here which isn't allowed.

Yes but this discussion was directly linked towards the impact the Anime had towards those sales. It´s no manga sales debate but rather a discussion about how "potential Big 3 Animes" impact their Manga counterparts.

Even the Manga that currently do not have an Anime adaptation were discussed in conjunction with their Anime, with the exception of Hinomaru-Zumou and even that comment was based on a potential adaptation due to it´s popularity.

Whenever bigivelfhq posted the sales count it was after a new episode came out so shouldn´t this be technically a legitimate discussion?
Apr 12, 2016 12:57 PM

Nov 2010
Goddamn it just change the name of this thread to general shonen thread that encompasses both anime and manga (manga in spoiler) and everything related to them.

There is no big three anymore and there will be no new big three, because big three refers to Naruto, Bleach and One Piece, period.

If you don't want to then close it forever because it's ridiculous. There's nothing to talk about here anymore with those dumb rules.
Apr 12, 2016 1:13 PM

Jun 2012
Fucking Jozu in a One Piece fighting game before Garp or Lucci, RIP

Dahaka_ said:
Goddamn it just change the name of this thread to general shonen thread that encompasses both anime and manga (manga in spoiler) and everything related to them.

There was a manga thread for Shonen way back when that seemed to appease all sides but it got taken down because reasons :/
Apr 12, 2016 3:04 PM

Apr 2014
They trying to hard to apply some 'rule' to this thread even though this thread itself is an abnormalities on AD board.

how can someone talk about the next big mainstream shonen without talking about the sales of the manga ? and not to mention that this thread wasn't always talking about manga sales, it's just BNHA was having an anime adaptation right now and of course the talk about it's sales will increase because we want to see how far it could go.

Really, i wish they could cut this thread some slack, just let the discussion flow naturally and let it slide when you saw some post that violate the rule of this thread as long as it's still inside the scope of battle shonen and as long as it's civil.

This thread suffered greatly when they blame this thread for the havoc that caused by certain user even though there's nothing particularly wrong with the topic this thread used to talk about.
Apr 13, 2016 4:10 AM
Dec 2013
Man, Boku no Hero Academia's pacing. Ep 1 = ch 1. Ep 2 = ch 1. Ep 3 will supposedly cover ch 2 and 3. And here I thought that it'd be a rushed adaptation, when in fact it's the complete opposite. I wouldn't mind the slow pace so much if it was a longrunning anime, except it isn't. But hopefully it gets a second season 6 months from now, like with Bones' own Akagami no Shirayuki-hime. I think the first season will adapt 21 chapters or something. No way will this franchise become huge like the Big 3.

According to a Chinese streaming site, Twin Star Exorcists will be 4 cours, even though the manga (which runs in a monthly magazine) currently only has 29 (long) chapters. If that really is the case, then I'm expecting this to diverge from the manga halfway through. This anime could become a hit.

First episode of Hunter x Hunter (2011) English dub will air in 3 days. Hunter x Hunter chapter 350 to be released in 5 days (scanlations will probably take longer). Hoping for 20 chapters in a row from Togashi, before going back to hiatus.

32 more chapters of Bleach, and it'll be longer than the Naruto manga. :O

Dressrosa arc in the One Piece anime is the first arc in the anime to go on for more than 100 episodes. And it still hasn't finished yet.
wildhoodApr 13, 2016 6:45 AM
Apr 13, 2016 4:37 AM
Mar 2012
8track said:
Man, Boku no Hero Academia's pacing. Ep 1 = ch 1. Ep 2 = ch 1. Ep 3 will supposedly cover ch 3 and 4. And here I thought that it'd be a rushed adaptation, when in fact it's the complete opposite. I wouldn't mind the slow pace so much if it was a long-running anime, except it isn't. But, hopefully, it gets a second season 6 months from now, like with Bones' own Akagami no Shirayuki-hime. I think the first season will adapt 21 chapters or something. No way will this franchise become huge like the Big 3.

I imagine the anime will pick up the pace as it gets into the plot? it's pretty common for the first episode to be really slow because the first manga chapter is generally longer and there's a lot in it. With that said I agree that it being too slow will only hurt the anime, especially if Bones don't intend to do another season soon...honestly, I was really surprised that this series only got 12 episodes since something like Shokugeki no Souma got 24 and the hype is bigger for BNHA at least in Japan.

Also Bones is pretty notorious for changing the plot of their adaptions so that is extremely possible.
Apr 13, 2016 5:28 AM

Oct 2013
The second episode made the hype for My Hero Academia increase exponentially. Right now is in the direction of a really huge increase in popularity. Hoping it keeps like this.

About the pacing. I totally prefer slow pacing to fast pacing, so I'm liking how things are being made. It would be great if more series would follow this example(Tokyo Ghoul with a slower adaptation pace would be so much better).
Is unfortunate about the 13 episodes, but I hope they find a scheme where we are able to get a good and regular stream of episodes, something like major that got around 25 episodes per year, for 6 seasons.
Apr 13, 2016 8:33 AM

Jun 2014
The first episode of Boku no hero was meh imo. I however had very low expectations for it from the get go so I can't say I'm disappointed.

About the manga sales, only the first volume out of the backlog volumes managed to make the The Top 50 on Shoseki ranking for its first week. It supposedly sold about 19k copies. All the other volumes were in the ranked from 50 to 78 with all of them selling well over 11k. So it's likely that no volume except the latest one will make the Top 50 on Oricon's list (to be released in a few hours) but the series as a whole will probably make the Top 10 weekly sales by series thanks to the new volume plus at least 100k from older volumes. So far, I'm seeing an OPM type of boost for it. That is, an additional 200k to 250k over its regular sales. So about 500-600k per volume per year. I doubt it'll reach Bleach or Naruto levels at their peaks.
AgafinApr 13, 2016 8:48 AM
Apr 13, 2016 1:19 PM
Sep 2014
Boku no hero academia is in its way to surpass one piece popularity in japan:D
Apr 13, 2016 4:31 PM

Oct 2013
I heard black clover is going to have a big Announcement next week. Anime adaption maybe?
Apr 13, 2016 4:36 PM

Mar 2015
keragamming said:
I heard black clover is going to have a big Announcement next week. Anime adaption maybe?
source pls? i am very exited about it.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Apr 13, 2016 4:42 PM

Jul 2015
Looks like Togashi stepped up his game and worked a lot during his injury. The art is looking amazing
Apr 14, 2016 2:29 PM

Sep 2013
saddy34 said:
Looks like Togashi stepped up his game and worked a lot during his injury. The art is looking amazing
is he the one who drew Netero and the adult Gon in this pannel..? it looks pretty neat..
Apr 21, 2016 9:55 AM

Sep 2013
Jump always does this sort of thing, you can clearly see the significance of a series by the group shots.
The ones not in puzzle form are the main series.
The one they are carrying are better positioned than the one not carried.

The new wsj big 3 is op, haikyuu and bnha.

Saiki Kusuo no Sainan has an Important Announcement in a about 2 weeks.
An anime, I think a domain name like that was just created.

Toriko is dead last in this weeks ranking too btw :'(
But you can see by the puzzle, that it's still more significant than the half of the series atleast.
ichii_1Apr 21, 2016 10:05 AM
Apr 22, 2016 10:12 AM

Jun 2014
Agafin said:
So far, I'm seeing an OPM type of boost for it. That is, an additional 200k to 250k over its regular sales. So about 500-600k per volume per year. I doubt it'll reach Bleach or Naruto levels at their peaks.

My gut has been telling me for weeks that this won't be the next Naruto like it's been hyped up to be. It's tv ratings so far are confirming that.
Apr 22, 2016 10:53 AM
Oct 2013
Agafin said:

My gut has been telling me for weeks that this won't be the next Naruto like it's been hyped up to be. It's tv ratings so far are confirming that.

This was actually the most interesting discussion recently.
Imo the show is 10 years too early. It could become the next Naruto if people would let Naruto rest finally and the overwhleming shadow of One Piece would not keep any new manga from growing.

The other fuckup was to go with a 12 episode adaptation. Personally I´d say the Studio didn´t trust enough in the source material to do proper investments, which dooms the series for mediocrity.
Apr 28, 2016 1:03 PM

Oct 2013
Isterio said:
Agafin said:

Imo the show is 10 years too early. It could become the next Naruto if people would let Naruto rest finally and the overwhleming shadow of One Piece would not keep any new manga from growing.

The other fuckup was to go with a 12 episode adaptation. Personally I´d say the Studio didn´t trust enough in the source material to do proper investments, which dooms the series for mediocrity.

I agree that it's 10 years too early. But also a good chunk of this generation that has been following naruto and one piece are burnt out from battle shounen series. Trend has change, battle shounen aren't the top dogs as they use to be. Just take a look at the manga sales.

Boku no hero is still popular in Japan, but I think it would've been even more popular if it had came out 10 years later with a fresh new generation.
Apr 28, 2016 1:33 PM
Oct 2013
keragamming said:
Isterio said:

I agree that it's 10 years too early. But also a good chunk of this generation that has been following naruto and one piece are burnt out from battle shounen series. Trend has change, battle shounen aren't the top dogs as they use to be. Just take a look at the manga sales.

Boku no hero is still popular in Japan, but I think it would've been even more popular if it had came out 10 years later with a fresh new generation.

Na, burnout would mean that people aren´t interested in the genre anymore. Looking at the charts though that´s plain wrong. People still do like their One Piece over in Japan and although I don´t think Oda can top the sales of Marineford, except he kills a Strawhat they´´ve been never higher than before consistantly. One Piece reigns no 1 simple as that.

It´s like you´re trying to plant a tree but there is that humongous fir tree in your garden that doesn´t allow any sunlight to get through. That´s how One Piece is for the Battle Shounen genre.

Naruto has probably suceeded to become timeless, 20 years from now people will still rewatch the series, recognize it through all the age groups and still keep playing the games or buy the merchandise. The same applies to One Piece to an even higher extent. Dragon Ball showed how it´s done. 30 years after it finished airing it´s still relevant. Any series that manages that made it.

But both series only could survive and bloom into what they were because Dragon Ball was absent, during their prime. Would they have accomplished the same fanbases if Dragon Ball was still around? Fuck no.

Boku No Hero has to surpass One Piece during it´s lifetime or it´ll be just another Deathnote, Attack on titan or Code Geass. Good series in their own regards and Deathnote even managed to outsell One Piece a year or two but the series is gone now. All of them will be potential classics but none of them will be timeless.
IsterioApr 28, 2016 1:41 PM
Apr 28, 2016 2:24 PM

Oct 2013
Isterio said:
keragamming said:

Na, burnout would mean that people aren´t interested in the genre anymore. Looking at the charts though that´s plain wrong. People still do like their One Piece over in Japan and although I don´t think Oda can top the sales of Marineford, except he kills a Strawhat they´´ve been never higher than before consistantly. One Piece reigns no 1 simple as that.

It´s like you´re trying to plant a tree but there is that humongous fir tree in your garden that doesn´t allow any sunlight to get through. That´s how One Piece is for the Battle Shounen genre.

Naruto has probably suceeded to become timeless, 20 years from now people will still rewatch the series, recognize it through all the age groups and still keep playing the games or buy the merchandise. The same applies to One Piece to an even higher extent. Dragon Ball showed how it´s done. 30 years after it finished airing it´s still relevant. Any series that manages that made it.

But both series only could survive and bloom into what they were because Dragon Ball was absent, during their prime. Would they have accomplished the same fanbases if Dragon Ball was still around? Fuck no.

Boku No Hero has to surpass One Piece during it´s lifetime or it´ll be just another Deathnote, Attack on titan or Code Geass. Good series in their own regards and Deathnote even managed to outsell One Piece a year or two but the series is gone now. All of them will be potential classics but none of them will be timeless.

I think you misundstand me. Excluding one piece and naruto, I think this generation is burnout by battle shounen series after following those series for like over 10 years now. That's why newer battle shounen series aren't doing as good.

That's a pretty bias thing to say don't you think? So basically you're saying a series has to last over 20 years to be considered to be timeless? What makes one piece so special? Or basing this simple off Japanese manga sales?

I could easily counter that argument and say death for eg is a much bigger series than one piece in the west. Death note, snk, fmab, code geass, cowboy bebop are the most recommended anime. I know mal doesn't say much, but one piece should be #1 on membee count since its been airing so long, but that's not the case you know why? Because a lot of people are turn off by the amount of ep it has and how cartoony it looks so it doesn't get recommended much because of that. So how can it be timeless if it's not recommended to newer generation/viewers?

Also classic and timeless is basically the same. Point is, whether you're talking only about Japan or in the west, there is no real way to tell if a series will be timeless or not, all you can do is wait and see. So saying a series will have to sell more than one piece to be considered timeless is ridiculous. Not every mangaka want their series to last 20+ years.

Also boku no hero currently isn't even close to death note, snk, code geass ect level to be even considered to be lump with them. It isn't even the most popular anime of this season. Lol

Also if we are talking about strictly about Japan and manga sales. What makes a series timeless for you? Does it has to sell over 200 million to be considered one? Do you take into consideration on how many years it lasted for?
keragammingApr 28, 2016 2:56 PM
Apr 28, 2016 4:17 PM
Oct 2013
keragamming said:

I think you misundstand me. Excluding one piece and naruto, I think this generation is burnout by battle shounen series after following those series for like over 10 years now. That's why newer battle shounen series aren't doing as good.

That's a pretty bias thing to say don't you think? So basically you're saying a series has to last over 20 years to be considered to be timeless? What makes one piece so special? Or basing this simple off Japanese manga sales?

I could easily counter that argument and say death for eg is a much bigger series than one piece in the west. Death note, snk, fmab, code geass, cowboy bebop are the most recommended anime. I know mal doesn't say much, but one piece should be #1 on membee count since its been airing so long, but that's not the case you know why? Because a lot of people are turn off by the amount of ep it has and how cartoony it looks so it doesn't get recommended much because of that. So how can it be timeless if it's not recommended to newer generation/viewers?

Also classic and timeless is basically the same. Point is, whether you're talking only about Japan or in the west, there is no real way to tell if a series will be timeless or not, all you can do is wait and see. So saying a series will have to sell more than one piece to be considered timeless is ridiculous. Not every mangaka want their series to last 20+ years.

Also boku no hero currently isn't even close to death note, snk, code geass ect level to be even considered to be lump with them. It isn't even the most popular anime of this season. Lol

Also if we are talking about strictly about Japan and manga sales. What makes a series timeless for you? Does it has to sell over 200 million to be considered one? Do you take into consideration on how many years it lasted for?

I didn´t mean to insult or evaluate one series above the other, that´s purely subjective and if anything I could just express my opinion at best.
What I wanted to say with the term "timeless" was the impact the product/art will have on the industry and the legacy it will leave behind.
In terms of Movies a good example would be Star Wars. Star wars will most likely be remembered 100 years into the future if civilization doesn´t undergo drastic changes, I applied the same principle on those franchises. The Godfather is a jewel "a timeless" movie in the sense of being a quality Movie that´ll be remembered as such by people who want to watch it, but compared to Star Wars and it´s impact as a franchise it´s miniscule, while Movie fans consider the first Godfather the superior Movie.

As far as the comparision for the western and eastern market go, I´m inclined to say that, western comics have a higher impact on the west than Manga ever will.
Sure Naruto, Deathnote and SNK will be more popular in their decent audiences overseas, but the actual market remains in Japan.Superman will never have the popularity and or prestige Astro Boy or Dragon Ball have in Japan, which makes the markets for each other only secondary and that´s fine.

Therefore I do judge the impact where it matters. What I´m saying is Death Note will be forgotten 10 years after it´s ending, ofc smaller groups of people, like fandoms and nostalgia veterans will highly regard the series and even some newcomers will pick it up, but the overall attention remains with the Battle Shounen that follow Dragon Balls archetype, specifically One Piece and secondary Naruto.
Apr 28, 2016 4:55 PM

Oct 2013
Isterio said:
keragamming said:

I didn´t mean to insult or evaluate one series above the other, that´s purely subjective and if anything I could just express my opinion at best.
What I wanted to say with the term "timeless" was the impact the product/art will have on the industry and the legacy it will leave behind.
In terms of Movies a good example would be Star Wars. Star wars will most likely be remembered 100 years into the future if civilization doesn´t undergo drastic changes, I applied the same principle on those franchises. The Godfather is a jewel "a timeless" movie in the sense of being a quality Movie that´ll be remembered as such by people who want to watch it, but compared to Star Wars and it´s impact as a franchise it´s miniscule, while Movie fans consider the first Godfather the superior Movie.

As far as the comparision for the western and eastern market go, I´m inclined to say that, western comics have a higher impact on the west than Manga ever will.
Sure Naruto, Deathnote and SNK will be more popular in their decent audiences overseas, but the actual market remains in Japan.Superman will never have the popularity and or prestige Astro Boy or Dragon Ball have in Japan, which makes the markets for each other only secondary and that´s fine.

Therefore I do judge the impact where it matters. What I´m saying is Death Note will be forgotten 10 years after it´s ending, ofc smaller groups of people, like fandoms and nostalgia veterans will highly regard the series and even some newcomers will pick it up, but the overall attention remains with the Battle Shounen that follow Dragon Balls archetype, specifically One Piece and secondary Naruto.

It has been 10 years since the anime has been release and even more for the manga and the series is still the most recommended anime on the net, it's even getting a live action movie. What you're saying can be apply to any series that has ended. Naruto has ended, it isn't the "hot" series anymore, the spin off series is keeping it alive basically. Dragon ball super isn't hot only the hardcore dbz fans care about that series, the new anime are kicking its ass. Basically this happens to every series. The part I mark in bold applies to every mega hit series. There legacy will live on, but they certainly wont be that same mega hit series that they use to be.

Now ofcourse that doesn't mean these series aren't classic it just means they aren't the new fresh series like what they use to have been, they will be remembered but they certainly will not be "hot" even after they ended, this is the age of the internet, as one hype series ends another one will Immediately takes its place.

Btw anime is a more popular medium than manga in the west, I was refering about those series anime.

Also since you're talking about Japan and manga sales. If death note that beat one piece but you don't see it as a timeless series, then really what can? That's why I'm asking what exactly are you measuring this on? Sales? What amount is considered timeless?

And again, I'll repeat battle shounen aren't the "hot" series these days. Just take a look at the manga sales chart for the last 5 years. They will make a big return someday, but for now they will have to settle for where they are now.
keragammingApr 28, 2016 5:05 PM
Apr 28, 2016 5:02 PM
Aug 2012
replace bleach with dragon ball super then you have the big 3
Apr 28, 2016 5:21 PM
Oct 2013
keragamming said:
Isterio said:

It has been 10 years since the anime has been release and even more for the manga and the series is still the most recommended anime on the net, it's even getting a live action movie. What you're saying can be apply to any series that has ended. Naruto has ended, it isn't the "hot" series anymore, the spin off series is keeping it alive basically. Dragon ball super isn't hot only the hardcore dbz fans care about that series, the new anime are kicking its ass. Basically this happens to every series. The part I mark in bold applies to every mega hit series. There legacy will live on, but they certainly wont be that same mega hit series that they use to be.

Now ofcourse that doesn't mean these series aren't classic it just means they aren't the new fresh series like what they use to have been, they will be remembered but they certainly will not be "hot" even after they ended, this is the age of the internet, as one hype series ends another one will Immediately takes its place.

Btw anime is a more popular medium than manga in the west, I was refering about those series anime.

Also since you're talking about Japan and manga sales. If death note that beat one piece but you don't see it as a timeless series, then really what can? That's why I'm asking what exactly are you measuring this on? Sales?

And again, I'll repeat battle shounen aren't the "hot" in series these days. Just take a look at the manga sales chart for the last 5 years.

You´ve gotta take a look at the bigger picture and not cherrypick events. One Piece created it´s own theme park in Japan, a restaraunt is the most sold manga of all time and the best selling japanese franchise. It´s cultural impact is superior even if Death Note managed to outsell it during 2006 in Manga sales once.

Regading future impact, it´s based on assumption for Naruto, but Dragon Ball managed to restart an Anime series, 30 years after it´s initial conclusion, that has good numbers in Japanese TV.

And no the 200000 idiots including you and me that visit this site monthly do not have bigger wallets than the 5-6 Million Japanese that follow those series.
It doesn´t matter what gets recommended, I gave you the example with the Godfather, though regarded the superior Movie by critics and Movie fans Star Wars was bought by Disney for 2 billion, while they could get the rights for the Gofather for maybe 50 mil.
Apr 28, 2016 6:27 PM

Oct 2013
Isterio said:
keragamming said:

Also since you're talking about Japan and manga sales. If death note that beat one piece but you don't see it as a timeless series, then really what can? That's why I'm asking what exactly are you measuring this on? Sales?

And again, I'll repeat battle shounen aren't the "hot" in series these days. Just take a look at the manga sales chart for the last 5 years.

You´ve gotta take a look at the bigger picture and not cherrypick events. One Piece created it´s own theme park in Japan, a restaraunt is the most sold manga of all time and the best selling japanese franchise. It´s cultural impact is superior even if Death Note managed to outsell it during 2006 in Manga sales once.

Regading future impact, it´s based on assumption for Naruto, but Dragon Ball managed to restart an Anime series, 30 years after it´s initial conclusion, that has good numbers in Japanese TV.

And no the 200000 idiots including you and me that visit this site monthly do not have bigger wallets than the 5-6 Million Japanese that follow those series.
It doesn´t matter what gets recommended, I gave you the example with the Godfather, though regarded the superior Movie by critics and Movie fans Star Wars was bought by Disney for 2 billion, while they could get the rights for the Gofather for maybe 50 mil.

Let me get this straight, the argument isn't about one piece I'm sure after it ends its impact will still be remembered. My argument is why these series can't be timeless like one piece. Just incase you misunderstand me.

I don't know about death note, but I know snk has its own them park, its own burger, its own liquor, toilet tissue you name it. Does that qualify snk as a timeless classic then? Or does it need to last for 20+ years and sell over 300 million to be considered one?

Also I'm not only talking about mal, death note is thee most
recommended anime of last decade and this current decade. I'm talking about millions of people here, but the topic is about manga sales in Japan so whatever.

Don't bother shoehorning quality into this, that's subjective and it will get this argument no where. So get that godfather/one piece comparison out of here. A lot of people don't consider one piece a good series. I don't want to get into this objective vs subjective argument. Correct me if I misunderstand what you were saying there.

But basically you're saying criticaly acclaimed series like onepiece is the equivalent of the godfather while series like death note, snk, fmab, code geass ect are the equavalent of star wars and are not that good in quality and therefore isn't considered "timeless" did I get that right?

Lmao! Waoh! If anything full metal alchemist brotherhood alone can be regarded as that since that series is liked by almost everyone. Dude keep your fanboy level down a bit and be a bit more realistic. I didn't even notice what you were writing at first.

After having this discussion with you I can say that you're a much bigger fanboy than I could ever be. I'm a big snk fan and not even I would put snk to such a high pedestal, I know snk isn't perfect nor is it as loved as fmab for eg. I think that 3 million per volume sales is blinding you a bit. lol
keragammingApr 28, 2016 6:53 PM
Apr 28, 2016 8:59 PM

Sep 2013
BNHA is overrated anyways < that's why it's hard for something to get mainstream, everybody shits on it and it's hard to get big.
I'd say world trigger will be more successful as a franchise than bnha will.

Reminder that Toriko got a kid's anime and handicapped it from ever reaching it's full potential.
Maybe it will get a new anime with bnha under performing and alot of series ending.

Bleach 72 Cover
http://www.shonenjump.com/j/comics/assets_c/2016/04/bleach072-thumb-400x635-3477.jpg
Apr 29, 2016 1:08 AM

Sep 2011
Stop talking about the manga which is beyond the anime, please.

As OP says:
'Discussing recent episodes; please use the episode discussion threads in the respective sub-boards.'
Apr 29, 2016 5:59 AM

Oct 2013
keragamming said:

Let me get this straight, the argument isn't about one piece I'm sure after it ends its impact will still be remembered. My argument is why these series can't be timeless like one piece. Just incase you misunderstand me.

I don't know about death note, but I know snk has its own them park, its own burger, its own liquor, toilet tissue you name it. Does that qualify snk as a timeless classic then? Or does it need to last for 20+ years and sell over 300 million to be considered one?

recommended anime of last decade and this current decade. I'm talking about millions of people here, but the topic is about manga sales in Japan so whatever.

Don't bother shoehorning quality into this, that's subjective and it will get this argument no where. So get that godfather/one piece comparison out of here. A lot of people don't consider one piece a good series. I don't want to get into this objective vs subjective argument. Correct me if I misunderstand what you were saying there.

But basically you're saying criticaly acclaimed series like onepiece is the equivalent of the godfather while series like death note, snk, fmab, code geass ect are the equavalent of star wars and are not that good in quality and therefore isn't considered "timeless" did I get that right?

Lmao! Waoh! If anything full metal alchemist brotherhood alone can be regarded as that since that series is liked by almost everyone. Dude keep your fanboy level down a bit and be a bit more realistic. I didn't even notice what you were writing at first.

After having this discussion with you I can say that you're a much bigger fanboy than I could ever be. I'm a big snk fan and not even I would put snk to such a high pedestal, I know snk isn't perfect nor is it as loved as fmab for eg. I think that 3 million per volume sales is blinding you a bit. lol

Attack on Titan doesn't have its own Theme Park, the Theme Park it had(still has?) was a Universal Studio's one, that also included Evangelion, Monster Hunter and Resident Evil. A lot of other series had Universal Studio making a temporary Theme Park for them, including One Piece that I believe has one every year. Dragon Ball, One Piece and Death Note will have a merged one this year.
What Isterio was talking is the series having a permanent and exclusive Theme Park. One Piece has the One Piece Tokyo Tower Theme Park. I don't believe any other anime series ever had such a thing, and if one has it is probably Gundam or Pokemon or some other series like them.

About the "critically acclaimed" Isterio was saying the opposite. That One Piece is equivalent to Star Wars, and the rest Godfather. So they are considered "better" than One Piece, but One Piece has a bigger presence and so is "more" timeless than the rest.

If I'm not mistaking who Isterio is, he is a One Piece hater. So nowhere close to being a fanboy
TyrelApr 29, 2016 3:38 PM
Apr 29, 2016 6:21 AM
Oct 2013
bigivelfhq said:

About the "critically acclaimed" Isterio was saying the opposite. That One Piece is equivalent to Star Wars, and the rest Godfather. So they are considered "better" than One Piece, but One Piece has a bigger presence and so is "more" timeless than the rest.

If I'm not mistaking who Isterio is, he is a One Piece hater. So nowhere close to being a fanboy.

Thanks for clarifying this.

Regarding my hate for One Piece I´d gladly point you towards this http://myanimelist.net/profile/Isterio .

I do hate the current Anime but that´s Toeis fault. And I do hate Dressrosa in Manga and Anime form. I´m following the series for 12 years by now and I won´t praise anything it does. Imo One Piece´s best Saga and with it it´s best writing stretches from Shabody Archipelago till timeskip.The same way Naruto peaked during the Pain arc.

We still got great content afterwards, for both series, like Madara or Sabo´s return. But I rated Dressrosa a 4. I hated Doffy´s crew, the people and the pacing.
Doffy imo is just a wannabe Crocodile.
Crocoldie was itroduced by feeding one of his man to his pets, Doffy can go fuck himself and his 5 minutes till Namek explodes bullshit. Furthermore I´m not as mindblown by every little reveal after the Doffy dissapointment and the G4 mediocrity. I gave the Kaido reveal a 5/5 but I wanna see the guy do stuff.
IsterioApr 29, 2016 6:25 AM
Apr 29, 2016 7:29 AM

Oct 2013
bigivelfhq said:
keragamming said:

Attack on Titan doesn't have its own Theme Park, the Theme Park it had(still has?) was a Universal Studio's one, that also included Evangelion, Monster Hunter and Resident Evil. A lot of other series had Universal Studio making a temporary Theme Park for them, including One Piece that I believe has one every year. Dragon Ball, One Piece and Death Note will have a merged one this year.
What Isterio was talking is the series having a permanent and exclusive Theme Park. One Piece has the One Piece Tokyo Tower Theme Park. I don't believe any other anime series ever had such a thing, and if one has it is probably Gundam or Pokemon or some other series like them.

If I'm not mistaking who Isterio is, he is a One Piece hater. So nowhere close to being a fanboy.

Ok, kinda had a feeling that I may have misundstand him. This is the part that confuse me.

"Star wars will most likely be remembered 100 years into the future if civilization doesn´t undergo drastic changes, I applied the same principle on those franchises"

I thought those series he was referring to was death note, snk, code geass ect. So I thought he was putting them in the same boat as star wars with these series. And godfather with one piece? But thanks for clearing that up. One piece being more timeless would not stop these series from still being timeless though.

His point makes more sense now, the thing is, I still think these series can hold there own even without making such a impact to the industry as one piece. Also who knows what the future lies for snk after its completed. So one piece is

@Isterio no need to go to such a length to prove that you don't like one piece, that misundstanding would clear up everything. Your point makes more sense now, I still would argue that these series or some of them will still be timeless.

We don't know what the future holds so all this is just speculation. That argument is pretty strong though not denying that.
keragammingApr 29, 2016 7:41 AM
Apr 29, 2016 8:02 AM
Oct 2013
keragamming said:

Ok, kinda had a feeling that I may have misundstand him. This is the part that confuse me.

"Star wars will most likely be remembered 100 years into the future if civilization doesn´t undergo drastic changes, I applied the same principle on those franchises"

I thought those series he was referring to was death note, snk, code geass ect. So I thought he was putting them in the same boat as star wars with these series. And godfather with one piece? But thanks for clearing that up. One piece being more timeless would not stop these series from still being timeless though.

His point makes more sense now, the thing is, I still think these series can hold there own even without making such a impact to the industry as one piece. Also who knows what the future lies for snk after its completed. So one piece is

@Isterio no need to go to such a length to prove that you don't like one piece, that misundstanding would clear up everything. Your point makes more sense now, I still would argue that these series or some of them will still be timeless.

We don't know what the future holds so all this is just speculation. That argument is pretty strong though not denying that.

I stated that I won´t utter any opinions towards those shows. You can look up my opinions by looking at my profile. One Piece certainly is one of my favorite shows of all time, though I do not like it´s current content I know that the quality will come back eventually. My argument was solely based on the achievements of the series up to date compared to other franchises of the same genre.

I could point out that One Piece has nothing on Pokemon or Transformers and that it´s miniscule compared to them as a franchise, but Pokemon is primary a game franchise and Transformers a Toy franchise, even if both of them have advertising Anime and cartoon shows to compliment them.

But judging solely Anime/Manga One Piece has the biggest growth/size as a franchise, with the exception of maybe Gundam/Dragonball.
My argument regarding Naruto as a series was, that it potentially could grow into a similar but not equal size franchise because of the demand through the western market and it´s adaptability into fightning games (Naruto games tend to sell twice as much as One Piece Beat em up´s worldwide).
That however will never be compareable to the eastern demand for merchandise or content and only secondary in the west compared to bigger franchises like Marvel or DC.

Or to put it in simpler words, the majority of children in Japan will always prefer One Piece toys and figurines over their Attack on Titan or Naruto equivalents. Likewise more Otaku will prefer their Nami&Rovin body pillows over the ones with Mikasa or Sakura. While in the west children will always prefer their spiderman shoes and superman Lunch boxes over their Naruto or Attac on Titan ones.
Therefore I consider it unlikely for those series to reach the same amount financial and cultural impact that One Piece already has reached today, which i referred to as timeless. Not the individual pov in regards to the artistic value of something, but in terms of memorability towards thje general public.
IsterioApr 29, 2016 8:09 AM
Apr 29, 2016 8:33 AM

Oct 2013
Isterio said:
keragamming said:

I stated that I won´t utter any opinions towards those shows. You can look up my opinions by looking at my profile. One Piece certainly is one of my favorite shows of all time, though I do not like it´s current content I know that the quality will come back eventually. My argument was solely based on the achievements of the series up to date compared to other franchises of the same genre.

I could point out that One Piece has nothing on Pokemon or Transformers and that it´s miniscule compared to them as a franchise, but Pokemon is primary a game franchise and Transformers a Toy franchise, even if both of them have advertising Anime and cartoon shows to compliment them.

But judging solely Anime/Manga One Piece has the biggest growth/size as a franchise, with the exception of maybe Gundam/Dragonball.
My argument regarding Naruto as a series was, that it potentially could grow into a similar but not equal size franchise because of the demand through the western market and it´s adaptability into fightning games (Naruto games tend to sell twice as much as One Piece Beat em up´s worldwide).
That however will never be compareable to the eastern demand for merchandise or content and only secondary in the west compared to bigger franchises like Marvel or DC.

Or to put it in simpler words, the majority of children in Japan will always prefer One Piece toys and figurines over their Attack on Titan or Naruto equivalents. Likewise more Otaku will prefer their Nami&Rovin body pillows over the ones with Mikasa or Sakura. While in the west children will always prefer their spiderman shoes and superman Lunch boxes over their Naruto or Attac on Titan ones.
Therefore I consider it unlikely for those series to reach the same amount financial and cultural impact that One Piece already has reached today, which i referred to as timeless. Not the individual pov in regards to the artistic value of something, but in terms of memorability towards thje general public.

Alrighty sir, I hear you load and clear.
keragammingApr 29, 2016 8:36 AM
Apr 29, 2016 11:47 AM

May 2013
Since Naruto ended and Bleach is irrelevant, i guess that this thread is over.

One Piece has lost a lot of his steam with the years, only recently it started to be good again.
Naruto went to absolute shit in the last arcs and from a parody of ninja, it became a parody of a ninja parody.
I think that the Soul society's arc was supposed to be the final arc of Bleach, Kubo just had no idea of what to do after it.

I'm the only one disappointed by the ridiculous low impact One Piece is having on the manga community. Just look at the other legendary series like Hokuto no Ken or Dragonball. They completely changed the manga industry and inpired thousands of mangaka. What is Onepiece leaving to us? Fairy Tail?
I think the problem is that Onepiece copied a lot of things from Dragonball's style, so despite being the most successfull manga in the world he isn't innovating the manga industry, rather it's artificially keeping the old Dragonball's style alive for decads.

I don't think that Boku no Hero has what it takes to be a new big three,
it has good characters and character design but that's it. The story is at One punch man level of simplicity and the fights most of the time are just a showcase of the usual superpowers that have been already done too many times by the millions of superheroes comics. I've heard that people consider it pretty much a superhero comic made for people who hate everything made by western artists.

Despite all this the manga is still pretty good and manages to keep you interested, the only thing I really dislike is the same problem that Bleach has: The utter and absolute absence of any scenary's porn.

Just look at this crap:

there's an entire arc based on this place and with almost 10 assistants this is the best thing they can make?

Take a look at Naruto's stadium for comparison:

Literally a million times more soul.
Daw11Apr 29, 2016 11:50 AM
Apr 29, 2016 12:09 PM

Sep 2013
Daw11 said:
Since Naruto ended and Bleach is irrelevant, i guess that this thread is over.

Despite all this the manga is still pretty good and manages to keep you interested, the only thing I really dislike is the same problem that Bleach has: The utter and absolute absence of any scenary's porn.

Naruto anime is still ongoing and Bleach is just on the down low waiting for the anime to come back.

Lack of scenery is artistic choice by Kubo to focus on the characters, I don't know if bnha mangaka is the same.
Pages (124) « First ... « 108 109 [110] 111 112 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » what is your stance on "i don't wanna watch that anime, the art style sucks" ? ( 1 2 )

ame - 9 hours ago

51 by ToG25thBaam »»
36 seconds ago

» Isekai Sub-Genres Have Become Genres.

Gashadokur0 - 29 minutes ago

3 by Anjuro »»
7 minutes ago

» Most underrated anime you have seen? ( 1 2 )

HotHamlet - May 13

50 by eblf2013 »»
10 minutes ago

» Anime facts you didn't know before

LenRea - May 24

28 by Halqifibrax »»
16 minutes ago

» What are the most iconic anime scenes

Gashadokur0 - Yesterday

8 by Daviljoe193 »»
17 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.