Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (11) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
May 1, 2012 8:55 AM

May 2010
Cjizzle said:
I don't care what peoples say, evolution never happened between human and animals and probably never happened between animals.Now i can't prove God is real to anyone here. But i beleive a creator created the living creatures, makes sense to me, at least. If God is eternal he is also almighty. Think about it, can something randomly pop out of nothingness without being eternal. If there was a beginning to the universe, there must be a will behind it. Everything humans does is directed by our thoughts. I beleive each and everyone of us have a spirit which animates the body and that is the real us.

- Couldn't God have created creatures to evolve? Would save him a lot of creation time methinks.
If you're going to put up a show of torture...I'm sorry, but I'd rather leave the stage. – Furude Rika, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni
May 1, 2012 8:58 AM

Jun 2008
Why's the big bang difficult to comprehend? Furthermore no relativity is required, unless you want 'proof' of it. But the idea of cosmic birth requires no relativity.

I should say that spatial expansion itself is not something to 'understand,' though.
You're asking a question I really can't answer.

It mostly comes down to personal experience but I'm the type of guy who have trouble understanding physics more than biology (am I a minority? Maybe). I mean, I learned about big bang and evolution around the same time in high school, probably. And reading these two pages on wiki, big bang still sounds more difficult to understand than evolution. Then again, I essentially took a full year course on evolution in university so that might be why I'm biased.

Mar 2008
Cjizzle said:
I don't care what peoples say, evolution never happened between human and animals and probably never happened between animals.Now i can't prove God is real to anyone here. But i beleive a creator created the living creatures, makes sense to me, at least. If God is eternal he is also almighty. Think about it, can something randomly pop out of nothingness without being eternal. If there was a beginning to the universe, there must be a will behind it. Everything humans does is directed by our thoughts. I beleive each and everyone of us have a spirit which animates the body and that is the real us.
Now can you describe what you think the theory of evolution is? Also the big bang doesnt say something came from nothingness thats creationism youre thinking of.

The spirit animates the body huh? Guess you wont be needing all those tendons and muscles and brain then. Unless you mean t hat in a different way.

Apr 2009
Diassia said:
Cjizzle said:

- Couldn't God have created creatures to evolve? Would save him a lot of creation time methinks.

No i beleive different kinds that are similar are called species.
May 1, 2012 9:01 AM

Sep 2008
traed said:
seishi-sama said:
We've had this thread just about a year ago...

I strongly support the idea that everything was brought to Earth by aliens. And whoever created aliens and how did they evolve is a different story.

But if I were to choose between the two, I'd pick creationism over evolution hands down, despite not being religious at all. I just don't find the idea of evolution appealing, if you catch my drift. I don't really care about scientific proof (not that evolution theory has much), there was a time when science was called magic after all.
In other words youre scared of being an animal like everything else here and youre related to the common ancestor of apes so you ignore it all together?

I wonder why people always pick out the least important parts of my messages to pick on, and completely ignore the actually important ones?
Maybe they didn't evolve enough...
May 1, 2012 9:03 AM

Mar 2008
Cjizzle said:

...... in other words you beleive in evolution partially without realizing it. Species are from variations of evolutionary process.
May 1, 2012 9:03 AM

May 2010
Cjizzle said:
Diassia said:
Cjizzle said:

That still doesn't really back up your argument. Species evolve.
If you're going to put up a show of torture...I'm sorry, but I'd rather leave the stage. – Furude Rika, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni
May 1, 2012 9:04 AM

Oct 2009
Cjizzle said:
Diassia said:
Cjizzle said:

There's this really neat book called "The Origin of Species"! Read it sometime :D

May 1, 2012 9:05 AM

May 2010
lucjan said:
Cjizzle said:
Diassia said:
Cjizzle said:

There's this really neat book called, "The Origin of Species"! Read it sometime :D

Agreed and seconded. I think people can probably find it on GoogleBooks for free.
May 1, 2012 9:05 AM

Mar 2008
seishi-sama said:
traed said:
seishi-sama said:

I strongly support the idea that everything was brought to Earth by aliens. And whoever created aliens and how did they evolve is a different story.

But if I were to choose between the two, I'd pick creationism over evolution hands down, despite not being religious at all. I just don't find the idea of evolution appealing, if you catch my drift. I don't really care about scientific proof (not that evolution theory has much), there was a time when science was called magic after all.
In other words youre scared of being an animal like everything else here and youre related to the common ancestor of apes so you ignore it all together?

I wonder why people always pick out the least important parts of my messages to pick on, and completely ignore the actually important ones?
It wasnt picking on and its not unimportant its just pointing out your driving force isnt reason its just what you want to believe which is fine if you admit that much. The whole alien thing I think is a possibility but even the people who believe that believe in evolution.
May 1, 2012 9:06 AM

Oct 2009
For those wondering about the Big Bang, and for Tachii who has difficulty understanding its physics, this book is a godsend - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0521416175/ref=wms_ohs_product

This'll help people understand the Big Bang isn't just a random, ass-pull of a guess.

May 1, 2012 9:07 AM

Mar 2012
Interesting, original, points in this debate are few and far between, most of the time (including most things I read in here, while I did just skim) it's all been done to death.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
May 1, 2012 9:07 AM
Jul 2018
Tachii said:
Problem with Big Bang is how it's so much more difficult to comprehend than evolution. You can't expect a layman to understand big bang without diving into relativity or something. But evolution is pretty simple to understand and it has a buttload of evidence supporting it.

So when you say "go do some research" it's more like "go take a whole year in physics" or something to understand the big bang theory.

Of course when I say this I'm not denying the credibility of the established theory. Just that I understand why people have more trouble ensuing credibility to this than something like evolution.

Taking physics would only lessen your belief in the big bang theory. A theory that needs hypothetical, unseen factors like dark matter for the physics to make sense needs ironing out whichever way you look at it. It needs theoretical, unprovable evidence to be applicable, which is a bigger reason why the Big Bang theory loses a lot of credibility. The theory of evolution has come a much longer way and can be observed largely through scientific analysis, whereas the Big Bang theory can only be partly observed and the rest has to be surmised.
May 1, 2012 9:08 AM

Feb 2012
lucjan said:
I advise anyone interested in Creationism to check this out (It's a photo gallery) — http://imgur.com/a/GdENP#0

That is creationism.

I don't know a single self-respecting creationist who actually believes some of the drivel the Creation Museum puts forth. The Museum is equivalent to an evolutionist saying that humans evolved from chimpanzees -- it's not indicative of the best arguments creationists have.
May 1, 2012 9:09 AM

Jan 2011
traed said:
seishi-sama said:
traed said:
seishi-sama said:

It wasnt picking on and its not unimportant its just pointing out your driving force isnt reason its just what you want to believe which is fine if you admit that much. The whole alien thing I think is a possibility but even the people who believe that believe in evolution.

I'm picking up more of a socio-economic/philosophical slant here.

Evolution, in other words, advocates for maximum income inequality, survival for the fittest(i.e. DEATH for everything else), unequal rights and treatment, etc...

Either that, or there's something wrong with being descendants of apes/other biological beings.

「みんながいるからだ。」 - 棗鈴
May 1, 2012 9:09 AM

Mar 2008
lucjan said:
For those wondering about the big bang, and for Tachii who has difficulty understanding its physics, this book is a godsend - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0521416175/ref=wms_ohs_product

This'll help people understand the Big Bang isn't just a random, ass-pull of a guess.
Personally I understand science things with visuals from videos much easier than reading. I watch the Science channel quite often.
May 1, 2012 9:10 AM

Sep 2008
traed said:
It wasnt picking on and its not unimportant its just pointing out your driving force isnt reason its just what you want to believe which is fine if you admit that much.

The world would've become a really boring place if everything was driven by reason. And I've experienced too many things that would be called "supernatural" and which can't be explained by common logic or science to get all reasonable about things like life, Universe and everything.

Oct 2009
Hakuromatsu said:
lucjan said:
I advise anyone interested in Creationism to check this out (It's a photo gallery) — http://imgur.com/a/GdENP#0

That is creationism.

I don't know a single self-respecting creationist who actually believes some of the drivel the Creation Museum puts forth. The Museum is equivalent to an evolutionist saying that humans evolved from chimpanzees -- it's not indicative of the best arguments creationists have.

The idea of creationism is ridiculous in itself. I have argued with creationists (thank god not in real life) over these kinds of topics, and it's overwhelmingly frustrating. I think the museum is blunt, which makes it seem over the top, but creationism is blunt and ridiculous as well. In reality, it's all over the top.

Apr 2009
Diassia said:
lucjan said:
Cjizzle said:
Diassia said:
Cjizzle said:

There's this really neat book called, "The Origin of Species"! Read it sometime :D

Agreed and seconded. I think people can probably find it on GoogleBooks for free.

No thanx i'm 100% sure its a book based on lies build upon other lies that cover other lies and so on ;)
May 1, 2012 9:11 AM

Oct 2009
Cjizzle said:
No thanx i'm 100% sure its a book based on lies build upon other lies that cover other lies and so on ;)

... wat!?

May 1, 2012 9:12 AM
Jul 2018
lucjan said:

The idea of creationism is ridiculous in itself. I have argued with creationists (thank god not in real life) over these kinds of topics, and it's overwhelmingly frustrating. I think the museum is blunt, which makes it seem over the top, but creationism is blunt and ridiculous as well.

I'd point out the logical fallacies with this, but I'm not sure you'd listen.

Creationism and evolution aren't mutually exclusive.

Oct 2010
seishi-sama said:
I don't really care about scientific proof (not that evolution theory has much), there was a time when science was called magic after all.

Nah, there's only proof of geological changes, fossils, oceanographic registers, in situ evolution (do you know about modern endosymbiotic processes?), genetic, morphologic and molecular comparisons, and lots of studied cases of adaptive responses even in a relatively low amount of time. I think that's not enough, lol.

Actually, we have to deal with the fact that the theory of evolution may never be proved 100%, but the level of accuracy is high enough to have it into account, and even if it was revealed to be false, the solution is not substituting it with another theory which doesn't even have a level of accuracy because there is nothing that proves it.

In fact, the theory of evolution has changed with the interpretation of the evidence, being natural selection as a driving force the only aspect that has kept being the same in the different models of evolution since Darwin. For example, it was long believed that the evolution of the animal groups we know today was the result of an adaptive radiation, that is, the diversification from very few groups at the beginning, but currently it's more widely accepted that it is the result of the survival of a few groups among a high immensity that ended up disappearing.

Oct 2009
sleeplesstown said:
lucjan said:

The idea of creationism is ridiculous in itself. I have argued with creationists (thank god not in real life) over these kinds of topics, and it's overwhelmingly frustrating. I think the museum is blunt, which makes it seem over the top, but creationism is blunt and ridiculous as well.

I'd like to hear these "fallacies."

May 1, 2012 9:13 AM

May 2010
lucjan said:
Hakuromatsu said:
lucjan said:

That is creationism.

The idea of creationism is ridiculous in itself. I have argued with creationists (thank god not in real life) over these kinds of topics, and it's overwhelmingly frustrating. I think the museum is blunt, which makes it seem over the top, but creationism is blunt and ridiculous as well. In reality, it's all over the top.

I think its a good idea not to argue such things in real life. Much stabbing would probably incur. Thinking about it, I don't think I've ever met a real life creationist in person. Most of the people I became friends with at school and uni fully accepted evolution.

That Creationism gallery is very interesting though, I'd never seen those pictures before.
May 1, 2012 9:14 AM

Jan 2011
sleeplesstown said:
Tachii said:
Problem with Big Bang is how it's so much more difficult to comprehend than evolution. You can't expect a layman to understand big bang without diving into relativity or something. But evolution is pretty simple to understand and it has a buttload of evidence supporting it.

So when you say "go do some research" it's more like "go take a whole year in physics" or something to understand the big bang theory.

Of course when I say this I'm not denying the credibility of the established theory. Just that I understand why people have more trouble ensuing credibility to this than something like evolution.

Taking physics would only lessen your belief in the big bang theory. A theory that needs hypothetical, unseen factors like dark matter for the physics to make sense needs ironing out whichever way you look at it. It needs theoretical, unprovable evidence to be applicable, which is a bigger reason why the Big Bang theory loses a lot of credibility. The theory of evolution has come a much longer way and can be observed largely through scientific analysis, whereas the Big Bang theory can only be partly observed and the rest has to be surmised.

As a student of cosmology I find your post very irritating and an insult.

Dark matter IS the problem with modern cosmology. Without even getting into Quantisation of Gravity, we face major issues in a dark halo of gravitational mass which we can't see, that's why Dark Matter. It is NOT something Big Bang cooked up, as far as I know. It is an experimental fault that we cannot erase.

Another observation we find fairly puzzling comes from the studies of high Z objects(i.e. very very far and very very 'young' objects) The Universe's expansion, supposedly, has a dark energy accelerating it. This means you gain kinetic energy by existing and over time you'd be pulled apart.

Inflationary cosmology, or even cosmology in general, is not my forte, because I can't really tell you anything about the FRW metric, but I can tell you that our observations are highly disturbing.

「みんながいるからだ。」 - 棗鈴
May 1, 2012 9:14 AM

Jun 2008
lucjan said:
For those wondering about the Big Bang, and for Tachii who has difficulty understanding its physics, this book is a godsend - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0521416175/ref=wms_ohs_product

lolwtf, 200 pages for 120 bucks? Is Amazon on crack?

All else aside, damn I gotta go to volunteer atm. I did attempt to read a book related to string theory but got bogged down by schoolwork and procrastination. I can't even remember the title anymore.
May 1, 2012 9:15 AM

May 2010
Cjizzle said:
Diassia said:
lucjan said:
Cjizzle said:
Diassia said:
Cjizzle said:

Lol! Are you serious or just trying to wind me up? Papers have been written for decades on such things. There is just so much proof... I just don't understand.
May 1, 2012 9:15 AM
Jul 2018
lucjan said:
sleeplesstown said:
lucjan said:

The biggest one is that you're cherrypicking your arguments and generalizing the opposition as the same kind of people who bomb abortion clinics.
May 1, 2012 9:16 AM

Mar 2008
Cjizzle said:

Poe alert

May 1, 2012 9:16 AM

Oct 2009
Tachii said:
lucjan said:

lolwtf, 200 pages for 120 bucks? Is Amazon on crack?

All else aside, damn I gotta go to volunteer atm. I did attempt to read a book related to string theory but got bogged down by schoolwork and procrastination. I can't even remember the title anymore.

It's like $10 in the individual seller category. But it's a really amazing book. It's more an introduction to the whole topic than a detail description on the Big Bang's technicalities, though.

sleeplesstown said:
lucjan said:
sleeplesstown said:
lucjan said:

The biggest one is that you're cherrypicking your arguments and generalizing the opposition as the same kind of people who bomb abortion clinics.

You're going to need to be more specific.

When I "generalize" a belief, it's because a belief possess certain elements unique to itself. When you believe evolution is false, and that the Earth is a 6000 year old hairball of God almighty, what else is there to interpret?

May 1, 2012 9:18 AM
Jul 2018
Zmffkskem said:
sleeplesstown said:
Tachii said:

As a student of cosmology I find your post very irritating and an insult.

Dark matter IS the problem with modern cosmology. Without even getting into Quantisation of Gravity, we face major issues in a dark halo of gravitational mass which we can't see, that's why Dark Matter. It is NOT something Big Bang cooked up, as far as I know. It is an experimental fault that we cannot erase.

Another observation we find fairly puzzling comes from the studies of high Z objects(i.e. very very far and very very 'young' objects) The Universe's expansion, supposedly, has a dark energy accelerating it. This means you gain kinetic energy by existing and over time you'd be pulled apart.

Inflationary cosmology, or even cosmology in general, is not my forte, because I can't really tell you anything about the FRW metric, but I can tell you that our observations are highly disturbing.

I'm aware, I agree with you.
May 1, 2012 9:20 AM

Apr 2009
traed said:
Cjizzle said:

Poe alert

I never mentioned the Bible by the way lol honestly i'd rather beleive that i was created by an almighty creator than evolving from a monkey that randomly pop out of nothingness by the will of randomness lol
May 1, 2012 9:20 AM

Oct 2009
Cjizzle said:

I never mentioned the Bible by the way lol honestly i rather beleive that i was created by an almighty God than evolving from a monkey that randomly pop out of nothingness by the will of randomness lol

This guy has to be a troll...

May 1, 2012 9:22 AM

May 2010
Cjizzle said:
traed said:
Cjizzle said:

Poe alert

I never mentioned the Bible by the way lol honestly i'd rather beleive that i was created by an almighty creator than evolving from a monkey that randomly pop out of nothingness by the will of randomness lol

... That didn't even make sense. It didn't 'pop' out of nothingness. What are you on?
May 1, 2012 9:22 AM

Feb 2012
lucjan said:
When I "generalize" a belief, it's because a belief possess certain elements unique to itself. When you believe evolution is false, and that the Earth is a 6000 year old hairball of God almighty, what else is there to interpret?

You're describing the profile of a "typical" creationist. Not creationism itself.
May 1, 2012 9:23 AM

Apr 2009
lucjan said:
Cjizzle said:

I never mentioned the Bible by the way lol honestly i rather beleive that i was created by an almighty God than evolving from a monkey that randomly pop out of nothingness by the will of randomness lol

Now i'm a troll because i give my opinion and disagree with yours. Lol
May 1, 2012 9:23 AM

Jan 2011
I'm not sure why almighty God wasn't popping out of nothingness by will of randomness.
But I guess evolving would be popping out of nothingness by will of randomness.

「みんながいるからだ。」 - 棗鈴
May 1, 2012 9:24 AM

Oct 2009
Hakuromatsu said:
lucjan said:

You're describing the profile of a "typical" creationist. Not creationism itself.

I'm afraid I don't really understand what you're getting at. Aren't Creationists synonymous with Creationism?

Jun 2011
Cjizzle said:

If you don't understand, and you're not willing to learn, then I guess there is nothing more to be said.

Jun 2008
lol @ the continuing response to cjizzle.

Just let it go guys. It's not going anywhere (although I myself is kinda against letting ignorance persist, but what can ya do, it's the internet).
May 1, 2012 9:26 AM

Mar 2008
Cjizzle said:
traed said:
Cjizzle said:

Poe alert

Didnt say you mentioned it.

Idealistic preference and the allusion of self importance above all other creatures arent really the best reasons to believe something. Just sayin'

Also again you fail to understand not only the big bang but evolution as well and perhaps how you were born from your mother even for all i know. The big bang wasnt something out of nothing and people didnt evolve from monkeys we have a common ancestor with apes. Humans are a type of primate.
May 1, 2012 9:26 AM

May 2012
(-□-;) Ok guys here is MY theory, even if the big bang has been proven do you think that religious people will believe that?
They will say god created the big bang.
And even if the christian god came here do you think that atheists will believe that?
They will say he is just a poor old man.
So stop wasting your time, this discussion is pointless, let us kill this topic once and for all.............(。◕ ‿ ◕。) please?
----------------------------------------------------------------
peace | paz | pace | paix
fred| friede | friður | vrede
мир | mir | mír | miers | pokój
keamanan | kedamaian | kapayapaan | ความสงบ
امن | صلح | سلام | barış
अमन | 和平 | 平和 | 평화
rauha | béke | taika
May 1, 2012 9:27 AM

Mar 2008
lucjan said:
Cjizzle said:

I called poe before you called troll so if anyone asks I beat you to it. http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Poe%27s_Law
May 1, 2012 9:27 AM

Apr 2009
Zmffkskem said:
I'm not sure why almighty God wasn't popping out of nothingness by will of randomness.

I beg to differ if God is eternal and i beleive he is, he has always been there during eternity.
May 1, 2012 9:28 AM

Sep 2008
jal90 said:

Actually, we have to deal with the fact that the theory of evolution may never be proved 100%, but the level of accuracy is high enough to have it into account, and even if it was revealed to be false, the solution is not substituting it with another theory which doesn't even have a level of accuracy because there is nothing that proves it.

I think one of the main principles of science is "Everything is false until proven true", and I'd like to think that "true" means "100% true". So from the scientific point of view, 99% proven or 0% proven should be equally false. It's like with that Higgs boson, everyone thinks it exists, but nobody has proven it yet.
May 1, 2012 9:29 AM

May 2010
seishi-sama said:
jal90 said:

I think one of the main principles of science is "Everything is false until proven true", and I'd like to think that "true" means "100% true". So from the scientific point of view, 99% proven or 0% proven should be equally false. It's like with that Higgs boson, everyone thinks it exists, but nobody has proven it yet.

It's difficult to prove anything 100% true.
May 1, 2012 9:30 AM

Oct 2009
traed said:
lucjan said:
Cjizzle said:

I called poe before you called troll so if anyone asks I beat you to it. http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Poe%27s_Law

lol, fine, you can have... whatever you win. Anyways, I have to go for the moment, so I won't be able to respond to anything directed towards me for a little while.

May 1, 2012 9:32 AM

Apr 2009
lucjan said:
traed said:
lucjan said:
Cjizzle said:

lol, fine, you can have... whatever you win. Anyways, I have to go for the moment, so I won't be able to respond to anything directed towards me for a little while.

Ok see ya
May 1, 2012 9:32 AM

Mar 2008
Cjizzle said:
Zmffkskem said:

I beg to differ if God is eternal and i beleive he is, he has always been there during eternity.
Of course an eternal god completely ignores all the complexities involved in such a god coming into existence in the first place. Not to mention if an eternity was before us then that means an endless amount of time was before us which means we shouldnt be here even if we werent always here.
May 1, 2012 9:36 AM

Oct 2010
seishi-sama said:
jal90 said:

I'd say that works for skeptic philosophy rather than science. Scientists work with concepts of probability and statistics and compare different theories choosing the one that so far has the biggest amount of evidence. The fact there is not a way to reach an absolute truth in many terms doesn't mean that part of the scientist's work isn't to find, discriminate and accept the most probable of them as a basis for their work. Otherwise, it would be a mess.
Pages (11) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Any teenage users on this site ( 1 2 )

AngelMilky_15 - Jul 4, 2023

59 by Zarutaku »»
9 minutes ago

» Can you be a good person and a bad person at the same time?

MeanMrMusician - Jun 12

18 by traed »»
19 minutes ago

» Ladies of mal, how do you feel about random compliment text messages?

TheBlockernator - Jun 12

9 by LoveYourSmile »»
32 minutes ago

Poll: » Earth is coming to an end... ( 1 2 )

MRno1knows - Jun 1, 2013

86 by Ezeved-kun »»
1 hour ago

» Why does the World need Switzerland?

vasipi4946 - Aug 20, 2022

39 by Said_enough »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.