Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
May 19, 2020 11:11 AM

Apr 2020
Lol that bird. It was bigger and higher
Jun 22, 2020 6:08 PM
Jul 2014
probably my favorite episode so far!!! so much happened in it skdjf

getting to know more about luffy's past and his inspiration for becoming a pirate is really cool
shanks is amazing! i'm calling it now: shanks and luffy are related. they look too similar not to be related. maybe shanks is his father or uncle or something

he fricking ate the demon fruit just because it was there and looked delicious??? idk
and now he wants to be a pirate even though he can no longer swim sdfksjdfk okay that's weirdly inconvenient

i honestly like the concept of these mysterious demon fruits. they add more to the plot and make things interesting. i have a feeling it will be a key plot point in the future.

that scene where shanks gave him his hat 8^8 wow ngl that was very impactful and hit different. very well done scene!! we now understand more about luffy and his hat and i love that.
shanks is a good guy and not how you'd expect a pirate to act. probably the most selfless and generous pirate i've ever seen. very eye opening.
i have this hunch that though luffy will meet him again but not on very good terms and i'm dreading that thought. i want that pristine memory and perception of shanks to stay as it is u=u
Oct 30, 2020 8:39 AM

Jul 2020
Shank is my favorite so far
Apr 1, 2021 8:56 AM
Jul 2018
yes its really good
cant wait to see what happens
May 5, 2021 4:48 AM
May 2021
Well they censored luffy stabbing himself
May 29, 2021 7:06 AM

Feb 2020
Nice episode. Not much to say, remember it from the manga
Jun 27, 2021 1:40 PM
Apr 2021
Damn it also got me I really thought the bird is small then it got Luffy's head I can't stop laughing
Oct 31, 2021 9:18 AM

Jul 2021
Really liked this episode, I'm guessing the next is when he and Nami properly meet. Also I really loved the backing music when the clown guy was introduced
Dec 8, 2021 11:16 AM

May 2019
Oooh the fruit takes away ability to swim. Interesting. It's pretty smart to write in such a caveat for something so powerful.

Shanks is so cool. Some very meaningful backstory for Luffy's hat!
Feb 17, 2022 7:44 AM
May 2021
I really start to like this show

Shanks is a real one

finally luffy and the girl meet, I'm looking forward to the next episode

May 9, 2022 4:27 AM

Jan 2021
Bro it was on sight Shank’s crew didn’t even hesitate to shoot the guy pistols aren’t for threatening and it was sad when Shanks lost his arm he was cool
May 17, 2022 7:13 AM

Feb 2021
Wait there are sea dragons and giant ass birds in this world? Wtf?

Also, why can't Luffy swim after eating the Gum-Gum fruit? Is that just like a drawback for eating the devil fruit? Do all devil fruits have drawbacks of some sort?

So this Buggy guy has also eaten a Devil Fruit.

As of now Luffy and Zoro have been separated so I guess he'll be working with that mystery girl for a while.
◑ ━━━━━ ▣ ━━━━━ ◐
"Everything I've witnessed... This whole system you have built has always rejected me. Now I'm ready to reject it. That's why I destroy. That's why I took this power for myself. Simple enough, yeah? I don't care if you don't understand... That's what makes us... Heroes and Villains."
◑ ━━━━━ ▣ ━━━━━ ◐
Jun 1, 2022 10:14 AM
Apr 2022
Luffy and zoro pasts are sad 😢
Jul 23, 2022 3:34 PM

May 2020
The bird gag was pretty good. Shanks looks like Luffy's older brother or something. I'd prefer to see the backstory at the beginning of the series (like the manga apparently), but I guess they wanted to cut straight to the high-seas adventure for the show.
Jul 27, 2022 10:13 AM
Oct 2019
Enter Shank!!

Didn't expect Luffy and Shank backstory to be this early...

So once you eat Devil Fruit, you got power but can't swim?

Finally Luffy meet up with the mysterious girl.
Sep 14, 2022 12:36 PM
Oct 2020
dont rember but fiRE NAMII TNHICKL
Oct 1, 2022 12:14 PM
Sep 2022
R.I.P Shanks' arm tho. buggy didn't choose the best crew lol
Oct 15, 2022 10:51 AM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
Gawd Shanks, I always feel like crying in this episode T _ T He is such a good man with such an amazing crew. I am sure one day he will be proud of Ruffy T _ T <3

Nov 4, 2022 9:34 PM

Aug 2021
they did a good job getting luffy's backstory in despite straying from the manga, left a few small things out but all is forgiven
Nov 9, 2022 9:41 AM
Nov 2022
lastik adam da daradat bu anime bide lastik adam =D
Nov 25, 2022 5:07 PM
Nov 2022
This is the episode that started it all, Shanks passing the torch to Luffy using the hat as a symbol of that.
It was an emotional rollercoaster with fun scenes in between.
Shanks is such a great father figure to Luffy I hope they reunite at the end of the Show.

Looking forward to the next episode with Buggy.

OrataKopataNov 25, 2022 5:10 PM
Dec 12, 2022 12:30 PM
Dec 2022
It's getting interested the more you watch the more it's getting better
Dec 30, 2022 10:07 PM

Oct 2012
DracullaDDragon said:
DracullaDDragon said:
RIP without knowing the truth.
I pity such guys who comment on without watching it

@DracullaDDragon If you're going to make cryptic comments talking shit in people's profiles, then don't be a pussy and block responses in your own profile. The fact that you think there's a "truth" to anime opinions is hilarious. You sound like you have 8th grade syndrome and you're desperate for attention. I bet you flipped your bangs when you wrote "pity" lol. I bet you think you're special because you're into anime marketed at little kids.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Dec 31, 2022 11:42 AM
Dec 2022
katsucats said:
DracullaDDragon said:
DracullaDDragon said:
RIP without knowing the truth.
I pity such guys who comment on without watching it

@DracullaDDragon If you're going to make cryptic comments talking shit in people's profiles, then don't be a pussy and block responses in your own profile. The fact that you think there's a "truth" to anime opinions is hilarious. You sound like you have 8th grade syndrome and you're desperate for attention. I bet you flipped your bangs when you wrote "pity" lol. I bet you think you're special because you're into anime marketed at little kids.

Who are you???😂😂😂 I don't remember talking to idiots. Whatever, what I said, isn't that obvious!!! Only guilty one can take such complement personally. If you watch whole then comment, why take it personally.!? lmfao
Watch your own profile and calling me a pussy...hilarious😂
FYI, I'm not like you who need attention and search others everywhere like sociopath. Sir, it's my bad if you take any of my words personally. Don't be hurt, it was just my opinion and a complement though. And if u still mad, then it's all on you, why???? Because I didn't "pity" pointing on you. It's towards who just comments on any anime without watching it whole.
Dec 31, 2022 12:05 PM
Dec 2022
One Piece is one of the best.
Many my friends told me not to watch and that made me start this One and trust me it's going to be my one of favourite
Feb 18, 2023 9:10 AM

Feb 2023
Feb 25, 2023 3:45 AM
Jun 2021
Young luffy is so cute
Apr 3, 2023 1:19 AM
Apr 2023
The First Anime that makes me cry
Apr 17, 2023 8:37 AM
Sep 2022
yey finally luffy eating the fruit
Jun 1, 2023 10:00 AM
May 2023
Thee Episode was sooo good
Jul 16, 2023 11:55 PM
Aug 2018
Awesome episode that provides context and depth to Luffy's straw hat! Also, we get to meet Buggy, who shoots Luffy down from the sky, and he lands in front of Nami!
Jul 21, 2023 6:18 PM
Jul 2023
This is ASS 😭🔥
Sep 13, 2023 3:35 PM
Sep 2023
this show is just perfect
Oct 6, 2023 11:29 PM
Jul 2020
this anime is overrated it sucks boriiiiiiiiiiing!
Oct 19, 2023 6:55 PM

Nov 2015
so.. you ate a melon and... got rubber powers? :o not a fan of the big mouth gestures on this episode 2/5.

brucescrews said:
This anime series, just like in the manga, has tons of flashbacks and even more flashbacks within those flashbacks.

That sounds awful, thanks for the bad news 😢

Seabury said:
As nice as that fluffy moving backstory shit can be, I have to say that was my favorite part of the episode.

i was crying but i didn't know why exactly... moving scenes yea

-Kenshin- said:
There are a few things that I dislike, like the cartoonish animation and childish script,

some dudes lie when they said it got better afterwards you see, they don't want to admit that they wasted their time watching 1000+ eps hehehe.

Bloodeon said:
also how he got the straw hat!

he looks better without it anyways. straw hats are for girls you know?

Rasti_m23 said:
But it really pisses me off. Barely any people think it's one of the best episodes in one piece -.-

that's because in my experience I've watched better anime than one piece so I'm not impressed that early

RexOrion said:
Shanks is such a great father figure to Luffy I hope they reunite at the end of the Show.

idk man, smth tells me he ded already... with one arm his possibilities of survival are stretch now *pun intended*
Berry-VodkaOct 24, 2023 10:29 PM

💢

Nov 25, 2023 12:33 AM
May 2020
it was really good and stuff yk man
Nov 29, 2023 5:26 PM
May 2021
muito bom gostei muito muito bom é isso
Feb 1, 7:43 AM
Jun 2021
This anime is straight up Masterpiece
Mar 3, 3:51 PM
Jun 2021
this is peak fiction
Apr 28, 2:23 PM

Mar 2022
So I finally get to learn about why Luffy wears a straw hat in general. It was passed down to him by a dear friend in the form of Shanks. And Shanks himself is utterly awesome as a character, it was really horrific and sad that he lost one of his arms but for all the teasing he does at Luffy's expanse as a kid, he really does care for him like a father figure would. I honestly remember this flashback vaguely when I looked at the One Piece manga at a meetup in London once but I didn't get to go through the whole scene by the time I got to it. It's kind of a minor change because I do remember it happened in the beginning of the Manga but I couldn't remember that it was the very first thing in said manga. I really like that even though someone was bad mouthing Shanks, he just shrugs off, like a boss right there.

Gotta say it was quite a memorable moment for me. Though I wasn't expecting to laugh so hard at Luffy in the present day being dragged away by a fricking bird and having him encounter the mysterious orange haired girl who I know as Nami. So far the first couple of episodes are just Luffy getting his main crew but again it still has my full and undivided attention at the very least. Great fleshing out the lore there, another great episode and we also see how Luffy became the rubber man he is today. So while there was a lot of stuff happening in the past, there was still a lot to really like about this. Well played, One Piece, well played.
May 23, 8:04 PM

Jun 2020
Shanks is so cool.. All the characters are interesting.. :)

The moment where Luffy is given the straw hat was touching. And speaking of straw hat, it's slow sublime movement across and above the sails reminded me of Miller's Crossing opening scene. And finally Nami and Luffy meet! I hope.
Jul 3, 6:10 AM
Mar 2024
it was lovely ,i feel lonly after complinting one peice
Aug 13, 4:25 PM

Jan 2021
Shank's seems like a cool dude.
Aug 16, 11:34 AM
Nov 2023
shanks and his crew are so cool !!!!
Sep 8, 9:11 PM
Aug 2024
This episode was good showed a diffrent side of luffy of who he was when he was very young adding a new perspective.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hottest Woman in One Piece?

kian_lad20 - 2 hours ago

15 by Loaf_dontcare »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1120 Discussion

IzanaSolos - Yesterday

26 by Gator »»
1 hour ago

» What episode was one piece on when you were born? ( 1 2 3 )

Zakatsuki_ - Sep 15

123 by DanyyelTR »»
2 hours ago

» Copper lokes like stuff toy

Hickykissy - Sep 20

12 by JoyBoy »»
5 hours ago

» The most attractive person in the show? ( 1 2 )

tommygunn34 - Sep 17

90 by ShyBD »»
11 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.