Forum Settings
Forums

Japan/Asia remaking American/western films

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 1, 2011 7:04 PM

Jan 2010
Lol if they remake Pearl Harbor and The Last Samurai
Jan 1, 2011 8:16 PM

Jan 2010
Lupin123 said:
Lol if they remake Pearl Harbor and The Last Samurai

I think Memoir of a Geisha would be a good remake for Japan maybe like 50 years from now.
Jan 1, 2011 8:50 PM

Apr 2010
I don't mind japan making remakes of classics. I agree that most remakes do suck horribly compared to the originals but i don't understand why people care. i mean even if the remake is made and sucks the original is still there. If i find that i dislike a remake i just deny its existence and go on with my life. also I could see a yakuza version of scarface but not an asian version of the godfather and i could see an asian fight club as long as they don't use martial arts. I think any remakes of horror films would be good because they can easily be adapted to other cultures.
Jan 1, 2011 10:19 PM

Jul 2008
Funny people keep mentioning "Scarface", since it's a re-make itself, of Howard Hawks' classic "Little Caesar". And movies like "Fight Club" already have very strong Asian analogs, like 1994's "Tokyo Fist".

Anyways, amusing focus aside, Asia has done quite well on the original idea front, so there's no need to think they need to rely on braindead remakes as much as the Hollywood market has.
Jan 2, 2011 12:38 AM

Dec 2010
alexcampos said:
NONE, I'm not against Japan remaking American movies, but I am against remaking CLASSICS, you don't mess with them, nothing good comes out of remaking a good movie.

Just Ask:

Planet of the Apes
King Kong
Psycho
House of Wax
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre....there are many more, but I'll stop here
This.

I swear if they try to replace Al Pacino, then I will, with great honor and dignity: rant, rave, riot, troll and be pissed if they screw up his roles. The Godfather was one of my favorite series and I can't fathom some remake ruining my experience like M. Night Shyamalan's Avatar: The Last Airbender. God forbid, bless our souls, and I will bless the Japanese directors with good luck. They're gonna need it. -_-
Jan 2, 2011 2:02 PM

Jan 2010
ElJomz said:
I don't mind japan making remakes of classics. I agree that most remakes do suck horribly compared to the originals but i don't understand why people care. i mean even if the remake is made and sucks the original is still there. If i find that i dislike a remake i just deny its existence and go on with my life. also I could see a yakuza version of scarface but not an asian version of the godfather and i could see an asian fight club as long as they don't use martial arts. I think any remakes of horror films would be good because they can easily be adapted to other cultures.

Oh it's not only Japan. I want HK, China, and Korea to remake American film. You see it help balance out the foreign remake scale in US. I have always thought a lot of our film can be remade for Asian market. You know I know a film that Hong Kong can remake.

Yes, Heat. I love this film because of the action and the plotline, and I always thought this movie could be adapted for Hong Kong audience.

My cast: Andy Lau to play De Niro's character (Neil McCauley becomes Neil Leung in the HK remake), Tony Leung or Richie Ren could play Al Pacino's character (Vincent Hanna become Vincent Han in the HK Remake) and I would want Ekin Cheng to play Val Kilmer's character (Chris Shiherlis becomes Chris Ng in the remake).

I would love it if Johnnie To could direct the HK remake, he's like the Michael Mann of HK. I think he can pull of this remake.

@Youngvagabond: Actually, Japan is going to remake more American film, I think you should've read my opening post, and look at the link. Japan has already remade Sideways, Ghost, and now they're going to remake An Affair to Remember and Working Girls. Japan had already has remade 2 French film. How long do you think until most of us will complain how Japan is going on the same level by remaking American film and foreign film?
Jan 2, 2011 2:49 PM

Sep 2007
I don't like remakes.

It's not that there are no good remakes, because there are a few, but the good:bad ratio is out of whack to the extent that you can almost guarantee that a remake of a classic will not live up to its predecessor.
Jan 2, 2011 3:24 PM

Jul 2008
mdo7 said:
I would love it if Johnnie To could direct the HK remake, he's like the Michael Mann of HK.

I think that's a tremendously unfair comparison to Johnnie To. To is ten times the director Michael Mann ever was, even when Mann was making good movies in the 90s, before he became another Hollywood hack in the last decade.

mdo7 said:

@Youngvagabond: Actually, Japan is going to remake more American film, I think you should've read my opening post, and look at the link.

Yes, I know, I saw that.

mdo7 said:
Japan has already remade Sideways, Ghost, and now they're going to remake An Affair to Remember and Working Girls. Japan had already has remade 2 French film. How long do you think until most of us will complain how Japan is going on the same level by remaking American film and foreign film?

I honestly don't know that much about the Japanese film industry economically like I do the Hollywood one, so I don't know if it's the same desperate cash grab from a dying industry like what we're seeing here.

Still, note that I wrote "as much as"; even with the films you mentioned above, that's a very small percentage of new Japanese films. However, I have noticed a lot more Japanese films are being adopted from novels or manga, although that's not entirely bad.
Jan 2, 2011 6:20 PM

May 2007
This is nothing new. Hollywood and Hindi cinem and Asia making classic remakes.

Hollywood is not the biggest film industry in the world. Hindi cinema is way bigger. And the fact is that Hollywood makes plenty of remakes on classic movies.

I would like more Japanese movies overall remake or not enything will make me happy :)
Jan 2, 2011 7:37 PM

Jan 2010
YoungVagabond said:
mdo7 said:
I would love it if Johnnie To could direct the HK remake, he's like the Michael Mann of HK.

I think that's a tremendously unfair comparison to Johnnie To. To is ten times the director Michael Mann ever was, even when Mann was making good movies in the 90s, before he became another Hollywood hack in the last decade.

Mann hasn't lost his talent unless you have evidence to back this up. I like his recent film, Collateral. The film was very interesting. I wouldn't called Michael Mann-Johnnie To comparison a unfair comparison. Johnnie To's film to me is like how Michael Mann would do.

I honestly don't know that much about the Japanese film industry economically like I do the Hollywood one, so I don't know if it's the same desperate cash grab from a dying industry like what we're seeing here.

Still, note that I wrote "as much as"; even with the films you mentioned above, that's a very small percentage of new Japanese films. However, I have noticed a lot more Japanese films are being adopted from novels or manga, although that's not entirely bad.

That's true. As long as Japan is remaking American films everytime we remake a Asian film, I guess fair is fair for me.

invalidlink said:
]Ignoring that and more to the point, every Japanese horror has been badly remade just for the money.

and what about Japan remaking American movie, are you going to say about that??
Jan 2, 2011 7:50 PM

Jul 2008
mdo7 said:

Mann hasn't lost his talent unless you have evidence to back this up. I like his recent film, Collateral. The film was very interesting. I wouldn't called Michael Mann-Johnnie To comparison a unfair comparison. Johnnie To's film to me is like how Michael Mann would do.

Have you seen his last two films, "Miami Vice" and "Public Enemies"? The first was crap, and the second was mediocre. Collateral was made all the way back in 2004.

I admit I haven't watched "Heat" yet, but nothing else I have seen by Mann, even in his prime in the 90s, remotely compares to something like "Full-Time Killer" or "Running out of Time".
Jan 2, 2011 8:49 PM

Jan 2010
YoungVagabond said:
mdo7 said:

Have you seen his last two films, "Miami Vice" and "Public Enemies"? The first was crap, and the second was mediocre. Collateral was made all the way back in 2004.

I admit I haven't watched "Heat" yet, but nothing else I have seen by Mann, even in his prime in the 90s, remotely compares to something like "Full-Time Killer" or "Running out of Time".

Public Enemies is good to me (although it's your opinion and people have said it's a good film), and Miami Vice, well, that's peopel opinion. So you haven't seen Heat or any other Michael Mann beside the 2, see you need to watch more of Mann's film. Also I've watched plenty of To's film and yes I think to me he is like Michael Mann of Hong Kong but in a different way. I also think he can pull of a remake of Heat if Warner Bros would allow their HK branchand if I was them, my first director of my choice is Johnnie To.
Jan 2, 2011 9:59 PM

Jul 2008
mdo7 said:

Public Enemies is good to me (although it's your opinion and people have said it's a good film), and Miami Vice, well, that's peopel opinion.

Dude, even if you did like them, the point is that they're very standard Hollywood fare, and in no way comparable to Mann's earlier action films.

mdo7 said:
So you haven't seen Heat or any other Michael Mann beside the 2,

Read more carefully next time. I never said how many total Mann films I have seen, only that I have not seen Heat.

I have seen "Public Enemies", "Miami Vice", "Collateral", "Ali", "Last of the Mohicans", and "Manhunter". (6 of the 12 films he has directed in his career) There is absolutely no comparison between the first four and the last two, but none of them were great, let alone the masterpieces I have seen from To, one of my favorite directors.

mdo7 said:
Also I've watched plenty of To's film and yes I think to me he is like Michael Mann of Hong Kong but in a different way. I also think he can pull of a remake of Heat if Warner Bros would allow their HK branchand if I was them, my first director of my choice is Johnnie To.

There's not going to be a Hong Kong remake of Heat, for about a dozen different reasons.
Jan 3, 2011 6:05 AM

Aug 2010
If it turns out good then let them make whatever movie they want. Besides, these movies are for the Japanese market, so most of America won't even see it.
Jan 3, 2011 8:16 AM

Jan 2010
YoungVagabond said:
There's not going to be a Hong Kong remake of Heat, for about a dozen different reasons.

and what would be the reason. As I said, Asai can remake film. Nothing can stop them. Hong Kong can remake Heat if they want to. But it would be cool to see that happen. Geez if Japan can remake Ghost and Sideways, and Hong Kong can remake Cellular into Connected. What makes you think Heat can't get a Hong Kong remake? You better back this up with evidence.
mdo7Jan 3, 2011 9:10 AM
Jan 3, 2011 8:20 AM

Jan 2010
prismheart said:
If it turns out good then let them make whatever movie they want. Besides, these movies are for the Japanese market, so most of America won't even see it.

Actually, the chinese remake of Cellular, Connected will come to US on Blu-Ray for fans of HK film to see. Also Zhang Yimou's remake of Blood Simple will also come to US. Sony bringing that film to US. So I think the Japanese remake of Ghost and Sideways could come to US at some point.
Jan 3, 2011 2:23 PM

Jul 2008
mdo7 said:
YoungVagabond said:

and what would be the reason. As I said, Asai can remake film. Nothing can stop them. Hong Kong can remake Heat if they want to.

They can, but the point is that there is no reason for them to do so, and thus, they won't. You keep mentioning remakes of "Ghost" and "Sideways", but those are sufficiently original premises different than those in previous Asian films.

Meanwhile, there are already a few hundred Hong Kong films with almost identical premises to "Heat". Why would they pay potentially high licensing fees to make the same pictures they already have for the last 25 years? It's not like "Heat" is some well-known IP in Asia either, so even for a desperate cash-grab, it makes no sense to remake that particular film.

mdo7 said:
You better back this up with evidence.

Cut this "you better back this up!" bullshit. You sound like an idiot with his panties in a knot throwing a temper tantrum.
Jan 3, 2011 6:59 PM

Jan 2010
YoungVagabond said:
mdo7 said:
YoungVagabond said:

and what would be the reason. As I said, Asai can remake film. Nothing can stop them. Hong Kong can remake Heat if they want to.

They can, but the point is that there is no reason for them to do so, and thus, they won't. You keep mentioning remakes of "Ghost" and "Sideways", but those are sufficiently original premises different than those in previous Asian films.

Meanwhile, there are already a few hundred Hong Kong films with almost identical premises to "Heat". Why would they pay potentially high licensing fees to make the same pictures they already have for the last 25 years? It's not like "Heat" is some well-known IP in Asia either, so even for a desperate cash-grab, it makes no sense to remake that particular film.

mdo7 said:
You better back this up with evidence.

Cut this "you better back this up!" bullshit. You sound like an idiot with his panties in a knot throwing a temper tantrum.

Whoa calm down OK. Look I just created this thread for people to be aware that Asia is remaking American film. It's up to Hong Kong if they want to remake Heat or not. Beside, I always thought a lot of our American film can be remade for Asian market. I don't see any problem with it. We remade too much of their film, so I think it's fair that Asia should remake our. Beside Heat isn't the only film that could maybe get a Hong Kong remake, I know a lot of other American film that could get Asian remake.
Jan 3, 2011 8:22 PM

Aug 2010
mdo7 said:
prismheart said:

Actually, the chinese remake of Cellular, Connected will come to US on Blu-Ray for fans of HK film to see. Also Zhang Yimou's remake of Blood Simple will also come to US. Sony bringing that film to US. So I think the Japanese remake of Ghost and Sideways could come to US at some point.

Do you mean straight to DVD. Then it will probably be a niche sort of thing and most people still won't see it.
Jan 3, 2011 10:11 PM

Sep 2009
I don't have nothing agains, since the movie be good
"The second place is the first place of the losers"
"God is big, God is strong and when He wants there isn't who wants"
"Everybody has a limit. My limit is over the others"
Ayrton Senna da Silva
------------------------------------------------------------------

Brazilian, Rio, Soccer, Geek, Gamer, Vivaldi Browser mod and beta tester

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.