Forum Settings
Forums

What are some anime series that few people would think of as bad?

New
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Oct 26, 2020 8:04 PM

Jan 2020
Gintama tbh. The only time I see someone who hates it, the main reason is always that they dropped it really really early on (where the story is at it's weakest) or they never even watched it in the first place.

Oct 26, 2020 8:40 PM
Apr 2020
Your Name

Also Legend of the Galactic Heroes ig
Oct 26, 2020 8:42 PM

Apr 2020
I always thought that Hunter x Hunter 2011, Gurren Lagann and KonoSuba were unanimously loved anime. I understand if you don’t like KonoSuba because of the story/characters or some shit, but it’s not supposed to have anything good about it besides the comedy... it’s supposed to make fun of isekai.
Oct 26, 2020 8:56 PM

Mar 2020
Every series will have those many people who think the show is bad however I think Love is War is a show hated by only a small amount of people.
Oct 26, 2020 10:52 PM
Aug 2018
petran79 said:
StarManOfAtmora said:
Versailles no Bara, or most Dezaki anime, really. Lots of people seem to love melodrama, I think they should experience some works from the master of it himself.

Mostly Versailles though since I think it's his most universally acclaimed one, even though he only directed the second half of it.

Only if they are watched as retro. Back in mid-2000, Snow Queen flopped because it tried to compete with new anime and people didn't like the animation, character designs and direction. It was very underrated and if it weren't for Live Evil that took few years to sub it, no one would have bothered.

I was two years old when Snow Queen aired so I have no idea how to put it into the context of when it aired, good show regardless. Regardless, Snow Queen was aimed at a very young audience, doesn't suprise me that young teenagers to folks in their mid thirties woudn't appreciate it.

I don't get why you think older anime can't "compete" for attention with newer ones. I know people who basically only watch new anime, but who love Ashita no Joe and Legend of the Galactic Heroes. As for whether they have to be watched with the mindset that "this is old," to be enjoyed, I really don't understand that sentiment. Elaborate?
Oct 26, 2020 10:54 PM
Aug 2018
Lucifrost said:
StarManOfAtmora said:
Versailles no Bara, or most Dezaki anime, really. Lots of people seem to love melodrama, I think they should experience some works from the master of it himself.

Mostly Versailles though since I think it's his most universally acclaimed one, even though he only directed the second half of it.

I thought the 1st half was more melodramatic.

You need to watch more Dezaki if you don't think his shows are melodramatic. Or you're just misunderstanding them.
Oct 26, 2020 11:11 PM

May 2008
Moyashimon, maybe? Legend of the Galactic Heroes is another possibility.

ABSSSSS said:
Attack on Titan. Only idiots don’t like that masterpiece.

Considering your normie taste, I wouldn't start calling people idiots for not liking gateway anime. AoT is quite overrated.

high_face said:
I always thought that Hunter x Hunter 2011 ... were unanimously loved anime.

Think no more! I don't like HxH, especially not the Chimera Ant arc. But, it is an anime that has very little "haters", if you will; you'll mostly find fans preferring the '98 version rather than outright disliking it. Kinda sucks.
Oct 26, 2020 11:25 PM

Jul 2012
Vinland Saga. I've haven't watch it yet, but I heard virtually everybody loves that anime. Also, definitely Legend of the Galactic Heroes.
"You don't have to believe in yourself, because I believe in you." - Drax the Destroyer
https://dawnhibiki.carrd.co/

Mirishita ID: L3N93SKX
Discord: DawnHibiki #6454
Oct 26, 2020 11:27 PM

Jan 2020
Legend of Galactic Heroes , Monogatari series , and Vinland Saga , I don't see much people shitting both of these titles
Хайде, хайде, хайде, това е първата зона, брато, първа зона, първа зона, добре, добре, добре, това става тук горе, отива тук горе, само спокойно, само спокойно... Ха, отдясно е, навсякъде отдясно отдясно къде е дясното ти о да добре добре добре тихо мълчаливо не успях да се съсредоточа върху това ЕХ ТЪПАК КОГАТО СИ БАВНО БАВНО ... ой е путката на моето момиче прасе куче, аз Чувствам се добре, о, мамо, *шамар*, какво е това госпожице татко-
Oct 27, 2020 12:39 AM
Jul 2018
StarManOfAtmora said:
petran79 said:

Only if they are watched as retro. Back in mid-2000, Snow Queen flopped because it tried to compete with new anime and people didn't like the animation, character designs and direction. It was very underrated and if it weren't for Live Evil that took few years to sub it, no one would have bothered.

I was two years old when Snow Queen aired so I have no idea how to put it into the context of when it aired, good show regardless. Regardless, Snow Queen was aimed at a very young audience, doesn't suprise me that young teenagers to folks in their mid thirties woudn't appreciate it.

I don't get why you think older anime can't "compete" for attention with newer ones. I know people who basically only watch new anime, but who love Ashita no Joe and Legend of the Galactic Heroes. As for whether they have to be watched with the mindset that "this is old," to be enjoyed, I really don't understand that sentiment. Elaborate?

It also mattered that during that time proper fansubbing and licensing of older series in English was in a worse state than today, so it was more difficult to promote older series in the fansub promotion wars.

I meant new anime using older Directing and animation techniques, usually by veterans. Eg Snow Queen used the classic Dezaki/Sugino still frame insertion to give it a manga/kamishibai look. That was a staple in the 70s,mainly done to save frames while also conveying stronger emotions than standard animation.

Using this method at a time when all focus was on the innovative film techniques of action anime or auteurs like Satoshi Kon, did not help the series at all to becone popular.

In a similar way, Sinbad 2015 movies used traditional animation techniques and character design, also made by veterans and it looked as if they were done 20-30 years ago. Even Ghibili stopped doing that. Did not help either, despite the very unique and unforgettable story.
Oct 27, 2020 12:59 AM

Jan 2019
I rarely see people hate on Fate/Zero, I checked many people's list and the lowest I think is 6/10, which isn't bad as 6 for most people is above average
Oct 27, 2020 1:17 AM

Apr 2020
ive still yet to see someone hate on 3gatsu no lion, ive seen people hate clannad but not clannad after story, sora yori mo tooi basho too.
Oct 27, 2020 1:29 AM

Mar 2019
Least hated anime would be the one that is least watched.

Anime was it's best 20000 years ago, when cavemen drew art with real depth.
Modern anime is all garbage. I miss great old days of anime.
Oct 27, 2020 5:55 AM

Jul 2014
high_face said:
I always thought that Hunter x Hunter 2011, Gurren Lagann and KonoSuba were unanimously loved anime. I understand if you don’t like KonoSuba because of the story/characters or some shit, but it’s not supposed to have anything good about it besides the comedy... it’s supposed to make fun of isekai.

The humor being repetitive is one of the main criticisms I've seen against it. Being supposed to be funny won't prevent people from not finding a show funny, and that goes for any comedy anime.
Oct 27, 2020 6:38 AM

Mar 2017
Berserk 1st season;
Monster;
Steins Gate;
Hajime No Ippo;
Hunter x Hunter 2011;
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood.

These are the shows that come to my mind.
While it's sure that everyone has their opinion about any anime, I still think that these are the shows I've watched that have the lowest number of haters and for good reasons.
I would include Mushishi as well, but the nature of the show being an episodic anime might get some people bored of it.
Oct 27, 2020 6:50 AM

Apr 2016
Definitely 3-gatsu no Lion. Some people may think it is a quite boring for its slow pacing or just don't like the genre combo (drama/slice of life) but to think that Sangatsu no Lion is bad? Nah, not even close.

Same goes to Natsume Yuujinchou as well. These two are hidden gems and I am glad I watched them.

Oct 27, 2020 6:58 AM
Dec 2019
Maybe Death Note? Don't mind the anime after Mello and Near's appearance.It doesn't exist to me.
Oct 27, 2020 7:35 AM

Apr 2016
Steins;Gate, like the others have said. Maybe even 3-gatsu.

Oct 27, 2020 7:36 AM

Jan 2018
Hrybami said:
ABSSSSS said:

This statement is borderline fascist bro.

well so is what the characters are doing int he current chapters.
i dont wanna spoil anything but holy fuck ,eren, calm down
Oct 27, 2020 7:37 AM

Jan 2018
IgorPsc91 said:
Puella Magi Madoka Magica. I never saw nobody saying bad things about this great show

i know somebody who thinks the pacing is bad and rated it 6/10

but that dudes opinion is basically RNG anyways
Oct 27, 2020 7:38 AM

Jan 2018
NubFix said:
I rarely see people hate on Fate/Zero, I checked many people's list and the lowest I think is 6/10, which isn't bad as 6 for most people is above average

fate zero is amazing

anything out of urobuchis pen is gold
Oct 27, 2020 7:39 AM

May 2020
See first off you will like what you like. Everyone will tell you some or the other show to watch but it all depends on you on your preferences and tastes. You can love something even if its bad. In my case its Domestic Girlfriend, many people think its bad but I fell in love with that series.
I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Oct 27, 2020 7:48 AM

Jan 2018
SXJXY said:
See first off you will like what you like. Everyone will tell you some or the other show to watch but it all depends on you on your preferences and tastes. You can love something even if its bad. In my case its Domestic Girlfriend, many people think its bad but I fell in love with that series.

i think people take issue with domestic girlfriend being poorly executed.
the idea and premise is absolutely amazing
Oct 27, 2020 7:50 AM

Feb 2016
StarManOfAtmora said:
Lucifrost said:

You need to watch more Dezaki if you don't think his shows are melodramatic. Or you're just misunderstanding them.

The 1st half of Rose of Versailles is most definitely more melodramatic than the 2nd half. I don't need to watch more Dezaki, because he makes everything worse.
その目だれの目?
Oct 27, 2020 12:00 PM
Mar 2020
Sakarii said:

ABSSSSS said:

Considering your normie taste, I wouldn't start calling people idiots for not liking gateway anime. AoT is quite overrated.

high_face said:
I always thought that Hunter x Hunter 2011 ... were unanimously loved anime.

Think no more! I don't like HxH, especially not the Chimera Ant arc. But, it is an anime that has very little "haters", if you will; you'll mostly find fans preferring the '98 version rather than outright disliking it. Kinda sucks.

Lmao did you just say I have a normie taste for liking Aot lmao I’m done. Aot is not a normie show even a 5 year old toddler can tell the difference but hey this is the internet I should have seen this coming. You mean a show with politics, corruption, genocide, racism, oppression, wars, powers struggles between nations, historical references like the holocaust, has a whole historia factor relevant to the show like how the titans powers came to be, how they passed down, how they were used, fabricated history, mindblowing world building, it follows real world logic, it has a whole chapter in the manga which links to the first ep which links the entire story together and ties everything up and again it’s mindblowing, everything is presented realistically, logically, and intricately with every little detail is important ITS NOT A NORMIE SHOW BUDDY LMAO don’t compare it to shows like mha, demon slayer, and other normie one dimensional cliche shows with average shounen plot. if you think Aot is overrated and normie you have not seen beyond s1 of Aot lol only s1 was normie with Titan vs human action but it’s s2 where the story actually starts building and s3 p2 is AMAZING if you actually go to the top rated show you’ll see it at #7 highest rated ever. Guess what s4 story is even better (wayyy better) you can go ahead and say goodbye to all the shows in top rated because in a few years Aot will be on top of every list in mal like fmab is now but hey why am I arguing with someone who thinks Aot is normie anyway lol😂
Oct 27, 2020 12:58 PM

Jun 2020
I don't think I've ever seen people hate on Monster, Mononoke, and FMAB.
Oct 27, 2020 3:09 PM

Feb 2011
JomyS said:
I don't think i've ever met a person who completed Monster and didn't like it

It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance.
Oct 27, 2020 3:54 PM
Jul 2018
I think an anime that fits that description rather well would be FMA brotherhood. I have seen people call the original 2003 series bad and poorly paced but I can count the people that I have seen call FMA brotherhood bad on my right hand
Oct 27, 2020 7:26 PM

Jun 2020
ABSSSSS said:
Sakarii said:

Lmao did you just say I have a normie taste for liking Aot lmao I’m done. Aot is not a normie show even a 5 year old toddler can tell the difference but hey this is the internet I should have seen this coming. You mean a show with politics, corruption, genocide, racism, oppression, wars, powers struggles between nations, historical references like the holocaust, has a whole historia factor relevant to the show like how the titans powers came to be, how they passed down, how they were used, fabricated history, mindblowing world building, it follows real world logic, it has a whole chapter in the manga which links to the first ep which links the entire story together and ties everything up and again it’s mindblowing, everything is presented realistically, logically, and intricately with every little detail is important ITS NOT A NORMIE SHOW BUDDY LMAO don’t compare it to shows like mha, demon slayer, and other normie one dimensional cliche shows with average shounen plot. if you think Aot is overrated and normie you have not seen beyond s1 of Aot lol only s1 was normie with Titan vs human action but it’s s2 where the story actually starts building and s3 p2 is AMAZING if you actually go to the top rated show you’ll see it at #7 highest rated ever. Guess what s4 story is even better (wayyy better) you can go ahead and say goodbye to all the shows in top rated because in a few years Aot will be on top of every list in mal like fmab is now but hey why am I arguing with someone who thinks Aot is normie anyway lol😂
Sorry ta' burst your bubble, but AoT absolutely is a normie show. You think having politics, racism, historical references etc. somehow make your show more esoteric? This is one of THE MOST beginner-friendly shows you could name, of course it's a "normie show." Let's be logical here bro
Oct 27, 2020 7:44 PM

Dec 2014
Konosuba, best isekai anime out there.
Signature removed. Check your inbox
Oct 27, 2020 7:56 PM

Oct 2020
Hunter X Hunter 2011, for real everybody, praises this series to high heaven yet out of the five arcs (now six in the manga) only two are good.
Oct 27, 2020 8:00 PM

Nov 2007
"the anime fandom" (at least the chunk of it that posts on this site) and "the shonen demographic" overlap so substantially that people in this thread CANT IMAGINE many people not liking popular shonen anime lol... so funny man. imagine if we had a thread full of people who believed it were impossible for anyone to dislke ouran or fruits basket.

I feel like when it comes to anime, the films tend to have broader appeal and are less easy to fit into the shonen/shoujo/slice of life/horror etc boxes. stuff like the girl who leapt through time, spirited away etc. tend to attract people of all ages, genders, etc. as for series, there really aren't too many I can think of... especially when you take into account how many people refuse to watch shit because it "looks old," for example...

maybe cowboy bebop? little witch academia? something yuasa masaaki directed (though I know some people hold the ridiculous opinion that anime with unusual art is like... harder to get into for some reason)?
Oct 27, 2020 8:03 PM

Nov 2013
Hajime no Ippo I guess? Its the first thing that came to mind, a good sports anime. Most popular battle shounens do have people who dislike them, but I guess this ones not too widely hated.

Cant consider comedy shows because thats really subjective, and the viewer's impression of the show lives and dies by whether or not they find the jokes funny.
Oct 27, 2020 8:05 PM

May 2018
Samurai champloo, i mean, it's just so good in every way and it's fun. I also hate to be cliche but, most mainstream Ghibli movies are the gold standard of 'for all viewers' - I do find that some people dislike the less popular ones though

✧・゚: *✧・゚:* 愛してる *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

Oct 27, 2020 8:16 PM

Apr 2020
D-ohnuts said:
high_face said:

The humor being repetitive is one of the main criticisms I've seen against it. Being supposed to be funny won't prevent people from not finding a show funny, and that goes for any comedy anime.

Not finding it funny is a valid reason to not like a COMEDY anime. But I find it dumb that people are saying that the story/characters are bad in a parody isekai.
Oct 27, 2020 8:26 PM

May 2018
StarManOfAtmora said:
Lucifrost said:

Dezaki....loves melodrama. I think rose of versailles is a bad example of this but 0___0 I mean...all of Aim for the Ace and Oniisama e are just soaking in it.

✧・゚: *✧・゚:* 愛してる *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

Oct 27, 2020 8:39 PM
May 2020
Made in Abyss. All of my weeb friends like it. I can't find any minus points on this anime. If i could then it's probably a minor problem and this anime is still great. I wouldn't understand why people will hate this anime.
Oct 27, 2020 11:18 PM
Mar 2018
not an anime but first half of berserk. as long as youre not put off by its gore and rape, its really hard to dislike berserk and the GA arc objectively
Oct 28, 2020 12:24 AM

Jun 2020
I don't understand how people can hate Kimi no Na wa, only trolls and people that intentionally want to hate it, hate the anime.

I said keep your hands on the table
Oct 28, 2020 5:25 AM

Feb 2020
BrawlerJoe said:

Monster is underrated masterpiece.

Erm? Underrated, you say? Dude, it's ranked like #40th on MAL's leaderboard. That's anything BUT underrated. I think you meant it's 'not as popular as it should be'.
pls play jet set radio future for the microsoft xbox. thanks
Oct 28, 2020 5:29 AM
Jul 2018
im not sure about a majority of people, but my friends, family and mutuals all really enjoy one piece
Oct 28, 2020 5:30 AM

Jul 2015
mojito_ said:
BrawlerJoe said:

Monster is underrated masterpiece.

Erm? Underrated, you say? Dude, it's ranked like #40th on MAL's leaderboard. That's anything BUT underrated. I think you meant it's 'not as popular as it should be'.

I meant that most of people don't understand why it is so great.
I met people many of them, they were making fun of monster cos they didn't understand what was the point of anime and they said that it was boring af. I even remember video on youtube some boys laughing loud about monster and saying "so who was the monster anyway? nevermind it sucks!!" and that kind of people.
Oct 28, 2020 5:47 AM
Dec 2017
shounen classics like naruto, one piece or hunter x hunter, some big names like berserk or mangas from urasawa naoki or tezuka osamu,
Oct 28, 2020 6:24 AM
Mar 2020
CuteAssTiger said:
Hrybami said:

This statement is borderline fascist bro.

well so is what the characters are doing int he current chapters.
i dont wanna spoil anything but holy fuck ,eren, calm down

Eren is the man. He’s doing the right thing to get what he deserves and everyone else deserves, it’s just that the others wanna be basic shounen cliche characters and try to fuck his plans up. They stupid af thus granting them the name “cringevengers”
Oct 28, 2020 6:29 AM

Feb 2016
shrapn3l said:
"the anime fandom" (at least the chunk of it that posts on this site) and "the shonen demographic" overlap so substantially that people in this thread CANT IMAGINE many people not liking popular shonen anime lol... so funny man. imagine if we had a thread full of people who believed it were impossible for anyone to dislke ouran or fruits basket.

Fans of Ouran and Fruits Basket seem to believe it impossible for someone to dislike those anime. I don’t think either of them is even remotely funny. And I hate most of Yuasa’s anime. I agree with your statement on movies.
その目だれの目?
Oct 28, 2020 7:02 AM

Jun 2016
allBrawNnoBrains said:
ABSSSSS said:

Sorry ta' burst your bubble, but AoT absolutely is a normie show. You think having politics, racism, historical references etc. somehow make your show more esoteric? This is one of THE MOST beginner-friendly shows you could name, of course it's a "normie show." Let's be logical here bro
Hey, don't be too hard on him, @ABSSSSS is still in his puberty. Let him enjoy politics in his beloved shounen show.
Oct 28, 2020 7:19 AM
Jan 2019
Gintama

Liking or not liking it is a completely different matter, but I believe that it is impossible to hate Gintama unless you simply want to for the sake of it.

Also great fandom.
Oct 28, 2020 7:47 AM

Jul 2014
high_face said:
D-ohnuts said:

Not finding it funny is a valid reason to not like a COMEDY anime. But I find it dumb that people are saying that the story/characters are bad in a parody isekai.

One might dislike a character or find them bad in a comedy or parody series for the same reasons they might dislike the series itself or aspects of it, if they dislike the humor associated with the character(s). They might also criticize the story if they don't find it strong enough to make up for the other perceived shortcomings.
D-ohnutsOct 28, 2020 8:36 AM
Oct 28, 2020 9:38 AM
Dec 2019
Edocchi said:
allBrawNnoBrains said:
Hey, don't be too hard on him, @ABSSSSS is still in his puberty. Let him enjoy politics in his beloved shounen show.
Agreed that AoT is bad but you have Assassination Classroom in your favorites which is also a shonen and even worse lmao.
Oct 28, 2020 2:19 PM

Sep 2020
I really dont understand several hate on Code Geass and tons of hatred to Hunter x Hunter. Both of them are masterpiece in each category
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» Do you look down on people who watch dubbed anime?

Iron_Leopard - 4 hours ago

27 by Stomiks »»
13 seconds ago

» What's your most anticipated anime from summer 2024 ?

ZXEAN - 14 minutes ago

5 by RaiYou »»
17 seconds ago

Poll: » Do you agree that One Piece being the top 1 currently airing anime suggests this Spring is weak?

18927 - Jun 6

49 by _--UwU--_ »»
3 minutes ago

» Would anime be better if they started to use more adult casts? ( 1 2 )

Thy-Veseveia - Jun 5

56 by JaniSIr »»
11 minutes ago

» Age of Anime, Relevance, Staying Power and Regional Disconnect

Pages_Pages - 2 hours ago

1 by Theo1899 »»
14 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.