Forum Settings
Forums
New
Style or Substance?
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
May 24, 2018 3:51 PM

Sep 2016
Arimias said:
Substance for sure. While style is greatly appreciated, it's not necessary all the time.

Love your signature, that’s all I wanted to say
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 25, 2018 7:54 AM
Jun 2017
I'd prefer both if possible. But if I had to pick, then I'd take substance any day.
May 25, 2018 8:06 AM

Jun 2015
Why not both?

Style holds substance, telling as much as words in many ways.
The two aren't mutually exclusive.

May 25, 2018 8:14 AM

Sep 2017
substance, i care for the plot and its presentation(the story telling not the style) much more than i do for the style of an anime, examples are how i hated killing bites and magica madoka, both have great animation, OST and all, but man i hate everyone in both series. mirai nikki too.
a new unique style is simply appreciated, i really like onepiece,XXXholic, mononoke, the tatami galaxy, but these have decent stories as well and not mere animation and style.
i didn't realize how much i care for the plot until after i watched killing bites. great actions and animation and dumb ass story.
May 25, 2018 8:24 AM

Dec 2015
Substance achieved through style? (bad directing would make any good intention crumble)
May 25, 2018 8:58 AM

May 2016
Something can be good with a good substance and with a bad style, but it's better if it's visually appealing. (coughHigurashicough)

Something can't be good without substance but it helps to ignore the problems if you have style. (coughWolf Childrencough)

I prefer substance over style because during the first time, having good visuals helps a lot but during rewatch (or even just a time later)... The flaws become evident. However if the visuals are bad but the story and characters are good, it can grow on you.
May 25, 2018 9:26 AM

Dec 2012
The best possible outcome would be something that has both style and substance.
"The name's Gambit. Remember it."
-Gambit "X-Men '97"

May 25, 2018 2:06 PM
Sep 2017
A mix of both preferably. It reallly depends how I'm feeling. If I just want to kick back and watch some cool stuff I'll watch something with style over substance like Kabaneri Of The Iron Fortress or even maybe to appreciate the audiovisual components that go into constructing a show. If I feel down curious about exploring the world of anime I'll watch something with interesting and captivating themes and characters (or simply themes and characters that appeal to me). Almost all of my favourite shows appeal to me on a more personal level but I'd say I'm a sucker for sick looking sakuga and cool fights.
May 25, 2018 5:43 PM

Apr 2018
A show can have an intricate and well-written story and dynamic characters but if I don't like its tone then I ultimate won't appreciate it as much as an aesthetically-pleasing show.

Personally, I think something like Monster and Death Note is super well written but I'd rather watch something like Land of the Lustrous purely because of how beautiful that show looks and sounds. d:
May 25, 2018 5:53 PM
May 2018
Im alot more likely to start something if it has a good style. Im automatically turned off of alot of older not as clean looking shows so im less likely to watch them and ill have less patience for it if the beginning is bad. However really I watch for the story so id still absolutely prefer substance. Once i get started if a show sucks I dont care how pretty it is Im dropping it. If its ugly I can get over it. There are plenty of good looking shows that are actually enjoyable i could watch instead if it was a bad anime. Just good art really isnt enough.
May 25, 2018 8:39 PM

May 2018
Substance. I enjoy anime with good story Juuni Kokuki, Seirei no Moribito,Kemono no Souja Erin,Kimi no Na Wa, Shouwa Rakugo, Space Brothers,Code Geass,Your Lie in April etc.
Papa_ScorchMay 25, 2018 8:48 PM
May 25, 2018 10:14 PM

Feb 2015
CGDCT have style and substance so I do not really need to choose which one do I really want.
May 26, 2018 7:12 PM

Dec 2017
Both, I like watching for the animations, character, and etc.
Yeah right there is no way a doujin about vomit exists.
Good song https://soundcloud.com/yeungkakit33/op4-hekireki-last-alliance
Tsumino account is BigMaraIppo
Another Good Song Listen to テスト by mukami #np on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/mukami/77a
Ashita no Joe and Megalo box are disappointing anime.
My reviews:https://myanimelist.net/profile/Botan-Chan45/reviews
Best Naruto Op: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByCNZxOBVWM&list=RDByCNZxOBVWM&index=1
discord name: Chitoge Kirisaki#9564
https://discord.gg/nGKu6zx my discord server for plebs
May 26, 2018 7:17 PM

Nov 2015
If an anime has only style and no substance, then I personally find it really boring. I've watched a few anime with pretty bad animation and designs because I thought the story was interesting enough for me to try it. Although I can't say I've ever done the opposite.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Anime facts you didn't know before

LenRea - May 24

30 by LenRea »»
2 minutes ago

» Isekai Sub-Genres Have Become Genres.

Gashadokur0 - 4 hours ago

7 by Lucifrost »»
14 minutes ago

Poll: » what is your stance on "i don't wanna watch that anime, the art style sucks" ? ( 1 2 )

ame - Yesterday

58 by Israel_Is_Evil »»
21 minutes ago

» Is flowing hair animation just poor man's gainaxing?

Catalano - 1 hour ago

3 by Anjuro »»
49 minutes ago

» why the double standard?

Cielord - 3 hours ago

12 by WatchTillTandava »»
51 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.