Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jul 2, 2016 7:44 AM

May 2015
I'm not sure what you mean here^?

Anyway, if we accept your concept (which I do) and apply a label of "troll." I think we are left with a semantic problem. Meaning that there would remain a very large amount of people who consider themselves trolls or are considered trolls, who wouldn't remotely meet your qualifications.

As I read your original post, it sounded like you were describing, to an extent, the way I interpret epistemological pluralism.

I feel that there is a lot of nuance here worth exploring.

But I do I feel like I'm missing some context. Given this:
shotz_ said:
this was a cheeky way to follow up that conversation we just had.
And I know that in another thread (I didn't post, just read) that you were inaccurately accused of moral relativism, when it was really just epistemological pluralism (as a general methodology). I bring this up, because I often see people raise objections to your threads/comments that are resolved/irrelevant if we assume you are speaking from a subjective interpretation. I wonder if you are trying to establish a value here that is a form of epistemological pluralism?

And because I promised in another thread that I would try and make my posts more accessible to the general public:

For the lay person, Epistemological Pluralism (as I use it here) is an approach to understanding objective truth via exploring subjective interpretations. Meaning that we understand our limitations as humans, and we approach learning and knowing Truth like a panoramic photo. You can only take one photo at a given time, but if you take many photos from different perspectives, you can create a panorama that shows a much bigger "Truth." So epistemological pluralism asserts that we can get the most complete "picture" of objective Truth by exploring as many ideas, beliefs, concepts, etc... as we can. Acknowledging that each may contain a piece of the picture (a piece of truth) and then overlaying to create the panorama (establishing common elements or patterns).

So in reference to this aspect of OP's original post:
Trolls_Bane said:

If they are as you perfectly described, being able to switch views and fully argued for them like it's their own.
A epistemological pluralist would do this as a matter of course.
NeoVoltJul 2, 2016 7:48 AM
Jul 2, 2016 7:52 AM

Nov 2015
I'm pretty open to peoples opinion as long as
1.They aren't judgemental towards other people. In other words, they aren't dicks about it.
2. Their backing up of said opinion isn't shit, which most of the time, is..
Jul 2, 2016 1:25 PM

Nov 2015
NeoVolt said:
I'm not sure what you mean here^?

Anyway, if we accept your concept (which I do) and apply a label of "troll." I think we are left with a semantic problem. Meaning that there would remain a very large amount of people who consider themselves trolls or are considered trolls, who wouldn't remotely meet your qualifications.

As I read your original post, it sounded like you were describing, to an extent, the way I interpret epistemological pluralism.

I feel that there is a lot of nuance here worth exploring.

But I do I feel like I'm missing some context. Given this:
shotz_ said:
this was a cheeky way to follow up that conversation we just had.
And I know that in another thread (I didn't post, just read) that you were inaccurately accused of moral relativism, when it was really just epistemological pluralism (as a general methodology). I bring this up, because I often see people raise objections to your threads/comments that are resolved/irrelevant if we assume you are speaking from a subjective interpretation. I wonder if you are trying to establish a value here that is a form of epistemological pluralism?

And because I promised in another thread that I would try and make my posts more accessible to the general public:

For the lay person, Epistemological Pluralism (as I use it here) is an approach to understanding objective truth via exploring subjective interpretations. Meaning that we understand our limitations as humans, and we approach learning and knowing Truth like a panoramic photo. You can only take one photo at a given time, but if you take many photos from different perspectives, you can create a panorama that shows a much bigger "Truth." So epistemological pluralism asserts that we can get the most complete "picture" of objective Truth by exploring as many ideas, beliefs, concepts, etc... as we can. Acknowledging that each may contain a piece of the picture (a piece of truth) and then overlaying to create the panorama (establishing common elements or patterns).

So in reference to this aspect of OP's original post:
A epistemological pluralist would do this as a matter of course.

I was just expressing my amazement at the existence of this epistemological pluralism.

The context is insignificant. And yes I do agree that we're left with a semantics problem. Which I'll try resolving thus: If a troll aspires to be good at his art, then he should, and must, take seriously whatever opinion he's using currently to satiate his desires. And to take some opinion, which you do not wield, seriously will require you to lose your mental bearings and set your mind free -- for at least some time. The end-product of this repeated procedure is what I describe in the OP.
Jul 2, 2016 3:41 PM

May 2015
xEmptiness said:

OK. So we can establish a differentiation between trolls and shit-posters in that we require a troll to have actual substance.

What about posters that play at entering an argument when comedy is the primary goal? Like this guy -> BakkaGesuiSempai. Does comedic value qualify enough substance to establish "troll-ness"?

The other point I'd like to clarify is: What if an intelligent person, engaging in trolling, finds themselves on the wrong side of the argument? As in, they realize their position isn't the rational one. Generally, the reasonable thing to do would be to acknowledge and adjust one's position. Would this violate the purpose of trolling? If so, what would a troll do (WWTD)?
Jul 2, 2016 3:52 PM

Jun 2016
NeoVolt said:

OK. So we can establish a differentiation between trolls and shit-posters in that we require a troll to have actual substance.

What about posters that play at entering an argument when comedy is the primary goal? Like this guy -> BakkaGesuiSempai. Does comedic value qualify enough substance to establish "troll-ness"?

The other point I'd like to clarify is: What if an intelligent person, engaging in trolling, finds themselves on the wrong side of the argument? As in, they realize their position isn't the rational one. Generally, the reasonable thing to do would be to acknowledge and adjust one's position. Would this violate the purpose of trolling? If so, what would a troll do (WWTD)?

Fool! As one who has vast knowledge of the world and one that is not in the physical spectrum of which one engages in front of them, you cannot use my words of insight as comedy. I shall not allow it. My goal is to teach my fellow commoners how to engage in intelligent conversation involving others with valor and precision. As yes, this reminds me of a time I was wrong once. No, wait. I was mistaken and I had to educate as such for why they could not understand a being of my caliber. Rule 732 of my provisions; I shall always have the last word. You must always make sure those who try to combat you in wits that they shall effortless fail are shown no mercy. But you should always applause your opponent's that converse with one's self for their effort, so they shall learn how to behave with class and sophistication like myself.

"As someone who is unaware of the vital role that singing has played in the cultural history of mankind, you are in no position to question me. Ah yes, that reminds me of a song I wrote. The best song that has ever been written. A song so marvelous, mere listening to it shall forever change one's outlook on life. I shall sing it and you will listen. ""♫ Excalibur! Excalibur! From United Kingdom! I'm looking for heaven! I'm going to California! ♫"
Jul 2, 2016 4:30 PM

May 2015
BakkaGesuiSempai said:
NeoVolt said:

Fool! As one who has vast knowledge of the world and one that is not in the physical spectrum of which one engages in front of them, you cannot use my words of insight as comedy. I shall not allow it. My goal is to teach my fellow commoners how to engage in intelligent conversation involving others with valor and precision. As yes, this reminds me of a time I was wrong once. No, wait. I was mistaken and I had to educate as such for why they could not understand a being of my caliber. Rule 732 of my provisions; I shall always have the last word. You must always make sure those who try to combat you in wits that they shall effortless fail are shown no mercy. But you should always applause your opponent's that converse with one's self for their effort, so they shall learn how to behave with class and sophistication like myself.

Trolls are generally seen as negative. But this kind of brightens up the room.

I suppose your posts could be seen as an attempt to derail the topic?

I hate to ask you to break character, but I'm curious as to whether you would consider yourself a "troll" in the context of OP's concept? Also, do you look for a specific reaction, or just take what you get?
Jul 2, 2016 4:41 PM

Nov 2015
NeoVolt said:
xEmptiness said:

I guess that's where we get into the idea of various levels of trolling. If we separate trolling into 10 levels, then Bakka is at 1 (because he's a shitposter -- only a fool will take him seriously). The ideal troll which I describe is at 10, then.

Acknowledging one's mistake will not defeat the purpose of trolling. If we divide the purpose of trolling into 'intellectual stimulation' and 'rustling jimmies' then even being on the wrong side and admitting it, an intelligent troll can achieve both. Though, yes, he can continue trolling those who failed to discern his mistake. The difficulty here is that there seems to be no particular end goal to trolling nor even a rigid purpose. On a cursory look, entertainment seems to be the entire purpose of it. And that is what only makes sense because entertainment would encompass both intellectual stimulation and 'rustling jimmies'.
Jul 2, 2016 4:50 PM

Apr 2012
Honestly, a really good troll is just someone that debates an unpopular opinion and does it well. Also i doubt 99.9% of the trolls actually put in the work to understand multiple perspectives. Isn't that what a lawyer is too except the latter is more serious of course.

Jul 2, 2016 5:08 PM

Jun 2016
@NeoVolt Quote

I shall quote someone who truly knows my magnificent figure to partially explain myself to others so they can try to comprehend the wittiness and complexity of the character that is Excalibur to mere simpletons.

Truth that shall be said:

He should never break character when he is RPing as Excalibur!. And yes, you could define it as "trolling", however, you never break any rules, always on topic, always response in context to each post, and to use wit as a primary tool. It may look like shitposting, but there is a correct answer masked in every post. This is like using science terminology to refer to simple household items. So, yes, he could be defined as a "higher-minded version of trolling". Let me get some of my best examples.

Introduction

Just about everything in Forum Games including:

Kiyomice said:

Animals should have equal rights just as much as humans. Love IS LOVEE *breaks down crying*

pyschoIn said:

well I don't know what all you actually wrote as I stopped reading thoroughly after the second sentence...
*sighs* people these days.. .
go good sir/madam enjoy your tea and be careful not to kill the person accompanying with your stories.

Animetropolis said:

Just give your rate. I don't care your explication.

10 ^

He is truly acting 100% in character while trying to get the same "cringe effect" as the character would get in the series Soul Eater from interacting with him. If he was out of character and not intending for that goal, he would in fact be a shit poster. Also, Excalibur's character is actually really hard to do. It requires a specific way of thinking and reacting to even begin to actually portray him.

"As someone who is unaware of the vital role that singing has played in the cultural history of mankind, you are in no position to question me. Ah yes, that reminds me of a song I wrote. The best song that has ever been written. A song so marvelous, mere listening to it shall forever change one's outlook on life. I shall sing it and you will listen. ""♫ Excalibur! Excalibur! From United Kingdom! I'm looking for heaven! I'm going to California! ♫"
Jul 2, 2016 5:09 PM

May 2015
Zeally said:
Honestly, a really good troll is just someone that debates an unpopular opinion and does it well. Also i doubt 99.9% of the trolls actually put in the work to understand multiple perspectives. Isn't that what a lawyer is too except the latter is more serious of course.
Lawyers are trolls? Maybe, but we'd have to say that they would not be an "ideal troll." Since lawyers argue multiple perspectives but usually won't go as far as internalizing them.

xEmptiness said:
If we separate trolling into 10 levels, then Bakka is at 1 (because he's a shitposter -- only a fool will take him seriously).
Maybe in a similar class (comedic rather than incendiary)? but I wouldn't say he's a shit-poster. I enjoy his posts. They're whimsical.

Anyway, I think establishing your concept as the "ideal troll" clears pretty much everything up. If we establish an ideal, then we can say that individual cases, to varying degrees achieve or fail to achieve the ideal. So when we say "A troll is X" we aren't trying to establish universal or general absolutes. We are saying "An ideal troll is X." I think that fixes the lack of clarity I was feeling.
Jul 2, 2016 5:14 PM

Nov 2015
NeoVolt said:
Zeally said:
Lawyers are trolls? Maybe, but we'd have to say that they would not be an "ideal troll." Since lawyers argue multiple perspectives but usually won't go as far as internalizing them.

xEmptiness said:
If we separate trolling into 10 levels, then Bakka is at 1 (because he's a shitposter -- only a fool will take him seriously).
Maybe in a similar class (comedic rather than incendiary)? but I wouldn't say he's a shit-poster. I enjoy his posts. They're whimsical.

Anyway, I think establishing your concept as the "ideal troll" clears pretty much everything up. If we establish an ideal, then we can say that individual cases, to varying degrees achieve or fail to achieve the ideal. So when we say "A troll is X" we aren't trying to establish universal or general absolutes. We are saying "An ideal troll is X." I think that fixes the lack of clarity I was feeling.

Well, yes, his posts are whimsical but from the troll point of view, they really are shit..so shitpostings. (btw, best comedian on MAL right now is ModeratelyHuman)

I think @Zeally is on point with the lawyers actually. We haven't yet removed all distinctions between epistemological pluralism and the 'ideal troll' so one only needs to be be able to argue from some perspective as he would from his own in order to be an ideal troll. Because that would imply that the lawyer has a good understanding of that perspective and he can also take it seriously.
Jul 2, 2016 5:20 PM

Aug 2015
xEmptiness said:
NeoVolt said:

Well, yes, his posts are whimsical but from the troll point of view, they really are shit..so shitpostings. (btw, best comedian on MAL right now is ModeratelyHuman)

I think @Zeally is on point with the lawyers actually. We haven't yet removed all distinctions between epistemological pluralism and the 'ideal troll' so one only needs to be be able to argue from some perspective as he would from his own in order to be an ideal troll. Because that would imply that the lawyer has a good understanding of that perspective and he can also take it seriously.

So your mere opinion makes it a shitpost? If that's the case, your first post is a shitpost because he has no definitions of what defines a troll nor provides examples of one. What you feel =/= what actually counts as a troll. If everything you say is subject, but you try to define it as fact, is like an Anime Fan trying to discuss or justify reasons for what counts as "Ecchi" when such definitions already exist. I don't understand the logic you are trying to apply, but it is beyond faulty.

Also comedic =/= comedian. Comedians are trying to be funny. Comedic involves using satire sarcasm or showcases things in a way that is further from the standard norm of talking about things. Whether it is actually funny or not depends on the person and how successful the portrayal of the context/contrast is.
“There is no greater danger than underestimating your opponent.”Lao Tzu

Jul 2, 2016 5:23 PM

Nov 2015
LogicalInjustice said:
xEmptiness said:

So your mere opinion makes it a shitpost? If that's the case, your first post is a shitpost because he has no definitions of what defines a troll nor provides examples of one. What you feel =/= what actually counts as a troll. If everything you say is subject, but you try to define it as fact, is like an Anime Fan trying to discuss or justify reasons for what counts as "Ecchi" when such definitions already exist. I don't understand the logic you are trying to apply, but it is beyond faulty.

Yes, it is beyond faulty because it is not faulty. A troll has to be able to deceive others into thinking that he's serious regardless of the absurdity of what he's saying. Can you think Bakka is being serious here?

If he were a troll, he'd have deceived us into thinking that he was serious.
Jul 2, 2016 5:24 PM

May 2015
xEmptiness said:

Yes. You're right. A distinction would then be that a lawyers primary purpose isn't entertainment. While this doesn't seem significant, I think the form a lawyer's legal arguments would progress differently. Specifically because a trolls primary intent is not to win, where this is necessarily a lawyers intent.
Jul 2, 2016 5:26 PM

Aug 2015
xEmptiness said:
LogicalInjustice said:

Yes, it is beyond faulty because it is not faulty. A troll has to be able to deceive others into thinking that he's serious regardless of the absurdity of what he's saying. Can you think Bakka is being serious here?

Is he serious in making you think he is actually Excalibur? Instead of shitposting in anime speak or simply making quotes/references , he is actually trying to make you react the same way a character on Soul Eater would when you actually read his posts or skip them altogether. I have like one of his posts where someone actually understands what he was saying and answered back successfully.

Jul 2, 2016 5:29 PM

May 2015
LogicalInjustice said:

So your mere opinion makes it a shitpost?
It's not opinion, it's subjective. And subjectively correct. He established his own criteria of an ideal, and Bakka's posts could be said to not comply with that ideal.

Consider that we're still exploring the concept here. I don't think he's saying that it is objectively true that Bakka is a shit-poster. Just that we could qualify that via the ideal presented. But it still isn't opinion because he is establishing a framework that could be evaluated objectively.

EDIT: Meaning that it isn't an objective statement of value to call it shit-posting. It is just, if we apply the framework OP presented to Bakka's post as an attempt to apply it (which I requested for clarification of the concept) then we can say IF we apply the framework to Bakka's post then it doesn't meet the requirements of an ideal troll. It's just an experiment to further the concept.

EDIT EDIT: I said apply a lot in that Edit. Go read a thesaurus NeoVolt.
NeoVoltJul 2, 2016 5:37 PM
Jul 2, 2016 5:31 PM

Nov 2015
LogicalInjustice said:
xEmptiness said:

Is he serious in making you think he is actually Excalibur? Instead of shitposting in anime speak or simply making quotes/references , he is actually trying to make you react the same way a character on Soul Eater would when you actually read his posts or skip them altogether. I have like one of his posts where someone actually understands what he was saying and answered back successfully.

Never watched Soul Eater. But for all that has been made clear hitherto, he is not fitting the 'troll' criteria.

And your first sentence supports this.
Jul 2, 2016 5:49 PM

Aug 2015
xEmptiness said:

Never watched Soul Eater. But for all that has been made clear hitherto, he is not fitting the 'troll' criteria.

And your first sentence supports this.

Then how can you call him not a troll if he don't even know how he is trolling? This is an anime character in one of the most mainstream anime series.

http://www.internetmarketingninjas.com/blog/social-media/awesome-internet-trolls/

This user is well know on Reddit. He pops up on questions of all topics, giving hilarious answers to things in a scientific, often authoritative manner. Only everything he says it complete nonsense, and very funny. From explaining the psychology of a dog who keeps chewing on an owners lamp, to the connection between media tycoon Rupert Murdoch and former British PM Tony Blair, he is always worth reading.

It may not be at that caliber because he isn't using an original way of thinking, but to come up on the spot with what he says and how he says it can classify as a moderate troll attempt.

Here is what this "Excalibur" character is.

Looks like it's mainstream opinion that Excalibur is classified as a troll

As long as you cannot tell him apart from Excalibur and he isn't spamming only Fool! and Bakka! with meaningless one-liners, yes, that counts as a troll

There is also this article detailing types of trolling.

A troll could also be someone that convinces you of something silly or outrageous. A ‘good' troll manages to enrage or deceive the victim. A good troll also stays in-character no matter what.
Making up definitions according to your own experiences isn't going to change the facts of what types of trolls there are and what trolls actually are. So being on an anime forum specifically acting out Excalibur in all senses of the way, would be a type of trolling. If he did this somewhere where no one watched anime or people overall didn't know who the fuck he was, that would indeed be shitposting and failing at trolling.
LogicalInjusticeJul 2, 2016 6:05 PM

Jul 2, 2016 6:16 PM

Oct 2012
A troll is someone who wastes plenty of his own time with the sole intent to waste other people's times, gaining no extrinsic intellectual or emotional understanding in the process. He misconstrues things, misdefines things, takes things apart and puts them back together, for the derisive pleasure of baiting others to sink to his level, so that he could continue his hobby in pointless recursion.

xEmptiness said:
A good troll also stays in-character no matter what.
Someone who pretends to stay in character no matter what is a shit troll who makes it obvious just how revolting he is such that no person with half a wit should even attempt to engage with him. A master of disguise cannot possibly have his face painted the whole time. Real people are changing; caricatures remain still. People who pretend to have perfected caricatures, such as yourself, go backwards.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jul 2, 2016 6:25 PM

Aug 2015
katsucats said:
Someone who pretends to stay in character no matter what is a shit troll who makes it obvious just how revolting he is such that no person with half a wit should even attempt to engage with him. A master of disguise cannot possibly have his face painted the whole time. Real people are changing; caricatures remain still. People who pretend to have perfected caricatures, such as yourself, go backwards.

So anyone else with a valid opinion besides a rant that does not explain anything but one's opinion without in-depth, details, comprehensive response. I classify this as an example of shitposting. Translated into = Trolls suck, we should avoid them, we hate them personally and, they are fake people.

Jul 2, 2016 6:28 PM

Oct 2012
Looks like I hit too close to home. Good luck with your time wasting orgy. :/
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jul 2, 2016 6:48 PM

May 2015
katsucats said:
A troll is someone who wastes plenty of his own time with the sole intent to waste other people's times, gaining no extrinsic intellectual or emotional understanding in the process.
So are you saying that if one does gain understanding, then they cease to be a troll? I don't think it's reasonable to say that it's impossible for someone to gain understanding while trolling. Or is the premise that a "troll" wouldn't be receptive?

Also, if I am understanding you correctly, to generalize you are saying: "trolling lacks and detracts value"

This is directly at odds with OP's, to generalize and over-simplify "Ideal trolling is inherently virtuous." While not in complete agreement yet, I acknowledge that he's established a functional framework from which to argue the point. If we accept the qualifiers, we can't immediately dismiss the concept. You would have to address the whole "An Ideal troll is ideally open-minded," he presents, as well as show that being trolled can't be beneficial for the trollee. I suppose you could accept those and still argue that it's a net loss of value.

@katsucats, I'm curious as to how a Utilitarian approach to "the ideal troll" would resolve. Just remember, we can't include "failed" or "imperfect" trolls, only ideal ones.
Jul 2, 2016 7:07 PM

Oct 2012
NeoVolt said:
katsucats said:
A troll is someone who wastes plenty of his own time with the sole intent to waste other people's times, gaining no extrinsic intellectual or emotional understanding in the process.
So are you saying that if one does gain understanding, then they cease to be a troll? I don't think it's reasonable to say that it's impossible for someone to gain understanding while trolling. Or is the premise that a "troll" wouldn't be receptive?

Also, if I am understanding you correctly, to generalize you are saying: "trolling lacks and detracts value"

This is directly at odds with OP's, to generalize and over-simplify "Ideal trolling is inherently virtuous." While not in complete agreement yet, I acknowledge that he's established a functional framework from which to argue the point. If we accept the qualifiers, we can't immediately dismiss the concept. You would have to address the whole "An Ideal troll is ideally open-minded," he presents, as well as show that being trolled can't be beneficial for the trollee. I suppose you could accept those and still argue that it's a net loss of value.

@katsucats, I'm curious as to how a Utilitarian approach to "the ideal troll" would resolve. Just remember, we can't include "failed" or "imperfect" trolls, only ideal ones.
Yes, I reject the OP (which is a troll himself). A troll is uninterested in other perspectives, so whether he is open minded is irrelevant. What defines a troll is his motivation to detract value. Since a troll seeks to (to borrow your words for sake of simplicity) detract value, an "ideal" troll would be the end-game checkmate of utilitarianism; he would be a black hole of humanity.

However, I'm not interested in Utilitarian approaches or ideal trolls -- these are abstract concepts without any bearing on anything. A troll is empirical; it is a phenomenon. It is meaningless to talk about what a troll is without taking into account what people refer to -- in reality -- as a troll. I would say the OP's definition of a troll is just an unsound redefinition; as such, I'm not interested in debating the value of any such framework by itself.

Also, to be honest, I'm not interested in debating what makes a troll. I'd rather a more intellectually stimulating exercise, like learning about something that's actually useful. My opinion is here -- take it -- or better yet, don't take it for what it is -- that way, I won't receive any more annoying notifications on a topic started by a troll in order to engage you in his grand scheme of sophistry for his gratification in destroying meaning.

That's the whole reality behind his magic shtick.
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jul 2, 2016 7:25 PM

Sep 2013
Why take this approach to defining the persona of the troll? You guarantee yourself that no sensibe, "ideal" troll would ever validate your thesis.
Jul 2, 2016 7:27 PM

May 2015
katsucats said:
I would say the OP's definition of a troll is just an unsound redefinition; as such, I'm not interested in debating the value of any such framework by itself.
This seems an unqualified, semantic, rejection of the concept. If we remove the use of the word troll, the concept does represent a specific virtue that is very close to epistemological pluralism. Further, if you are attempting to dismiss it by labeling the OP a "troll," that is a clear ad hominem.

katsucats said:
Also, to be honest, I'm not interested in debating what makes a troll. I'd rather a more intellectually stimulating exercise, like learning about something that's actually useful. My opinion is here -- take it -- or better yet, don't take it for what it is -- that way, I won't receive any more annoying notifications on a topic started by a troll in order to engage you in his grand scheme of sophistry for his gratification in destroying meaning.

I think that's unlikely given observation of xEmptiness. Also, if true, it's irrelevant, at least for me.
Jul 2, 2016 7:27 PM

Feb 2016
xEmptiness said:
AllenVonStein said:
TL;dr whao lol do u really expect me to read...all that shit by you.

No. I don't expect idiots to read my posts. They contribute nothing of value regardless.
true
most trolls are in games anyways. theyd rather not stay here and read all day
Jul 2, 2016 7:39 PM

Oct 2012
NeoVolt said:
katsucats said:
I would say the OP's definition of a troll is just an unsound redefinition; as such, I'm not interested in debating the value of any such framework by itself.
This seems an unqualified, semantic, rejection of the concept. If we remove the use of the word troll, the concept does represent a specific virtue that is very close to epistemological pluralism. Further, if you are attempting to dismiss it by labeling the OP a "troll," that is a clear ad hominem.

katsucats said:

I think that's unlikely given observation of xEmptiness. Also, if true, it's irrelevant, at least for me.
Let me give this one last reply. Your use of big words does not intimidate me, trust me. My rejection of an unsound definition is very "qualified" (read my post). A rejection on semantic grounds (semantics is not a bad thing) is precisely what we need to do when we discuss things that revolve around actuality. There's a common understanding behind what words mean. Words are meaningless without semantics. If we remove the use of the word "troll", then our understanding of what this topic is about changes drastically, because the framework which you attempt to superimpose onto some real phenomenon loses importance immediately. Your argument is like the "what if we redefine God to a natural creator while keeping in mind the Bible?" argument. It is purely doublethink. Finally, ad hominem is the act of rejecting an argument based on an attack of character. I attacked his character, but I rejected his arguments based on what I've previously posted (read). Therefore, no ad hominem was involved. I think you should think more before waving your big stick. Truly intelligent people don't need to use big words; all they need to do is to connect what is.
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jul 2, 2016 8:36 PM

May 2015
katsucats said:
Your use of big words does not intimidate me, trust me.
There was no intent to intimidate. It's just how I talk. If you're unfamiliar with Epistemological Pluralism, I breifly described it in a previous post. Or if I am unclear, I am more than willing to clarify.

katsucats said:
My rejection of an unsound definition is very "qualified" (read my post). A rejection on semantic grounds (semantics is not a bad thing) is precisely what we need to do when we discuss things that revolve around actuality. There's a common understanding behind what words mean. Words are meaningless without semantics. If we remove the use of the word "troll", then our understanding of what this topic is about changes drastically, because the framework which you attempt to superimpose onto some real phenomenon loses importance immediately. Your argument is like the "what if we redefine God to a natural creator while keeping in mind the Bible?" argument. It is purely doublethink.
I understand what you are trying to say. I just think it's non sequitur. Meaning it doesn't follow. If we replace the word troll with "ideally open-minded individual" or something as I suggested, we do so only pragmatically, to remove any bias associated with previous experiences with "trolls." If we do this, it's a lot easier to see a generalized thesis in the original post.
xEmptiness said:

Idiots come up with labels of racist, homophobe, bigot, and the likes, to shut away differing opinions. They're never willing to listen to the 'reason' behind anyone else's views and then deem themselves open-minded. To them, open-mindedness is simply subscribing to the popular opinion. Only an "ideally open-minded individual" rises above this hypocrisy and shows the heights of enlightenment a human can reach.

Then?
then our understanding of what this topic is about changes drastically,
It doesn't at all. In context, replacing the word troll after circumventing bias, is exactly the right thing to do. Because OP's point is not really an intent to validate trolling, but instead to criticize self-proclaimed "open-minded" individuals via contrast. So the bias is an intentional, albeit ambiguous, nuance that implies some additional criticism. See "Idiots come up with labels of racist, homophobe, bigot, *troll* and the likes, to shut away differing opinions." Additionally, there is an implied argument that OP doesn't make, which lines up with Epistemological pluralism, which is: Establishing relational value between individuals based on "feelings" is primitive and counter-productive. To clarify, a persons ideas are valuable, their feelings are not. In fact feelings tend to get in the way of ideas (i.e. - reason) via bias. If we go with a more generally accepted definition of a troll, we could say that they (by messing with people via their feelings) act as agents of this^ principle.

While I don't personally subscribe to the methods of a traditional troll, and I prefer strict epistemological pluralism to OP's ideal troll; it stands that
NeoVolt said:
he's established a functional framework from which to argue the point
And the use of the word "troll" is appropriate given the context.
And the base concept represents a real virtue establishing the importance of engaging reason when interpreting the ideas of others.
And it is a valid criticism of those who don't.
NeoVoltJul 2, 2016 8:40 PM
Jul 2, 2016 9:05 PM

Oct 2012

I mean like, why would you take someone else's name, and then act like him, while noting that if you were smarter (i.e. not a troll?) you would have left this site? Haha. "Ideal" troll, my ass. An ideal troll knows how to cover his tracks. Check this out:

xEmptiness-wannabe might have set his board to private, but he can't control his friends' boards. I mean, I don't understand Pakistani, but read Chai_'s board:

Okay, so you told someone to delete the real xEmptiness's troll threads. Then you bragged about how you troll. And your dream is to make a dream team of trolls and shitposters on MAL. Check.

Look. Here's another of you telling someone to shitpost in your thread:

Now, wasn't there a Pakistani guy that got dumped by a German girl a while back? Is that you? Genio-bastard!

In fact, I don't need to speculate. Let me let you in on a little secret. You can see people's boards even if they put it private by clicking on the Conversation link and filling in their ID's. Example:

You know... what's funny is someone once said:

And you sure were, except you let your religion and cultural differences get in the way of *cough* open-mindedness, and now look at you: A professional MAL troll. Congratulations man, way to go! I hope you're satisfied with your life.
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jul 3, 2016 12:28 AM

May 2015
merryfistmas said:
@TheBrainintheJar

But if the end result is an intelligent discussion (highly unlikely) is it still fair to criticize them? Or to put it more clearly, shouldn't we differentiate between the trolls intention and the finished product in the same way we do with art and the death of the author? Now, this thread is a discussion on the mindset of these trolls, so the intention is very important, but a troll who causes butthurt with his intentionally inflammatory position may, as someone else has already pointed, call for a change in the intellectual fortitude of the butthurt individual. A man who experiences this butthurt and rejects it as trolling, and therefore does not change in any way is not worse off than before, but should he remain composed, or better yet, considers the opinion, even if it is for the sole purpose of depriving the troll of the satisfaction he thinks the troll is after, then OP is at least partially correct. Trolling, while not necessarily equating to high-mindedness can certainly lead to it. At worst it ends on butthurt, and at best, to enlightenment.

However, I think it's incorrect to assume trolling is a result of indifference rather than a desire to antagonize people. People who are merely indifferent do not play devils advocate for the sake of it, one plays devils advocate either to get a rise out of someone or out of genuine concern that many sides of an argument presented. Shit posting results from indifference, but is an indifference towards bettering oneself rather than in emotional investment in ones beliefs.

Let's separate our terms here.

A troll is defined as someone trying to get a rise out of people. Their position isn't necessarily contrary, but controversial. They will focus not on providing logical arguments, but hitting emotional weak points.

Devil's advocate is a person deliberately taking the contrary position in a discussion - which they may not agree with - in order to add to it. A person will play DA either to understand its side better, or to let the others experiment with dealing with an opposite opinion. We all should play DA once in a while and argue for what we disagree with.

If you feel butthurt over something on the internet, ignore it.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Jul 3, 2016 2:59 AM

Nov 2015

I love you. Thank you for making this interesting. I was getting bored.

katsucats said:
A troll is someone who wastes plenty of his own time with the sole intent to waste other people's times, gaining no extrinsic intellectual or emotional understanding in the process. He misconstrues things, misdefines things, takes things apart and puts them back together, for the derisive pleasure of baiting others to sink to his level, so that he could continue his hobby in pointless recursion.

xEmptiness said:
A good troll also stays in-character no matter what.

I didn't even say the part you quoted.

Your whole argument revolves around how I'm trying to copy Bernkastel (I'm not copying him -- I'm just his humble student ; _ ;) and that is really not an argument, you know?

Katsu. Please. Try to be a good intellectual instead of a salty one.
Jul 3, 2016 4:02 AM

Apr 2016
katsucats said:

I mean like, why would you take someone else's name, and then act like him, while noting that if you were smarter (i.e. not a troll?) you would have left this site? Haha. "Ideal" troll, my ass. An ideal troll knows how to cover his tracks. Check this out:

xEmptiness-wannabe might have set his board to private, but he can't control his friends' boards. I mean, I don't understand Pakistani, but read Chai_'s board:

Okay, so you told someone to delete the real xEmptiness's troll threads. Then you bragged about how you troll. And your dream is to make a dream team of trolls and shitposters on MAL. Check.

Look. Here's another of you telling someone to shitpost in your thread:

Now, wasn't there a Pakistani guy that got dumped by a German girl a while back? Is that you? Genio-bastard!

In fact, I don't need to speculate. Let me let you in on a little secret. You can see people's boards even if they put it private by clicking on the Conversation link and filling in their ID's. Example:

You know... what's funny is someone once said:

And you sure were, except you let your religion and cultural differences get in the way of *cough* open-mindedness, and now look at you: A professional MAL troll. Congratulations man, way to go! I hope you're satisfied with your life.

so much lulz and revelations in those screenshots
Jul 3, 2016 5:32 AM

May 2015
katsucats said:
I'm not sure how this is relevant. We've established OP is a troll? Doesn't he basically admit it in the first post anyway?

I'm not sure what your objection is, other than a personal one.
Jul 3, 2016 5:51 AM

Apr 2016
NeoVolt said:
katsucats said:
I'm not sure how this is relevant. We've established OP is a troll? Doesn't he basically admit it in the first post anyway?

So why does it matter of the relevance when the entire "discussion" is based on his definition of trolling? This validated the fact that he is a troll indefinitely and well, more evidence of the self-flattery.

I am not sure how this doesn't make the objection with the clear self-flattery and just general irony on a thread justifying how trolling is being open minded when OP himself has been revealed to be one.
Jul 3, 2016 6:40 AM

May 2015
Trolls_Bane said:
NeoVolt said:

So why does it matter of the relevance when the entire "discussion" is based on his definition of trolling? This validated the fact that he is a troll indefinitely and well, more evidence of the self-flattery.

I am not sure how this doesn't make the objection with the clear self-flattery and just general irony on a thread justifying how trolling is being open minded when OP himself has been revealed to be one.
I guess I entered into the discussion under the assumption that there was implied self-identification as a troll. In that context there isn't a clear distinction between presenting an argument for one's own position and "self-flattery."

Regardless, there is no objection to the supporting reasoning itself. We can say that the "only a troll" wording is a little over the top, but it could be adjusted without affecting the substance of what he's saying. Him being a troll is not relevant to whether an ideal troll is open minded or not. Its also not relevant to the criticisms against self-proclaimed "open-minded" people he references.

Also, katsucats being driven by a personal objection (or maybe even grudge) is supported by the personal attack he made against OP referencing a past relationship. This shows a lack of integrity on katsucats part in regards to rational discourse. He also seem s to think he's arguing from a moral high ground but has done nothing to qualify it. Until he makes an actually relevant argument, I'm kinda inclined to label him a shitposter, in the context of this thread.
Jul 3, 2016 6:55 AM

Nov 2015
The only thing I'm remotely bothered about is that katsucats revealed my dream ; _ ;

I've always wanted to do that since the day my clique got blanket banned on Gamespot.

Trolls_Bane said:
NeoVolt said:

Every argument ever given in defense of an opinion was self-flattery for the one with that opinion lol

People defend their positions. I'm merely doing that too. What makes this form of self-flattery any more immoral or any less rational than the one we all indulge in?
TranceJul 3, 2016 6:58 AM
Jul 3, 2016 7:01 AM

Feb 2016
The best trolls are able to draw emotion out of other posters (rage, annoyance, frustration, you get the point). It matters not how they do it, the results should tell the whole story. Take it from someone who was a pretty damn good troll before I got a life. It's not about hiding your intentions, its about letting your intentions be known, but those intentions not being too obvious.

Tl;dr Trolling takes effort, but too much effort makes it unfunny.
Jul 3, 2016 7:01 AM

Apr 2016
NeoVolt said:
Trolls_Bane said:

I guess I entered into the discussion under the assumption that there was implied self-identification as a troll. In that context there isn't a clear distinction between presenting an argument for one's own position and "self-flattery."

Regardless, there is no objection to the supporting reasoning itself. We can say that the "only a troll" wording is a little over the top, but it could be adjusted without affecting the substance of what he's saying. Him being a troll is not relevant to whether an ideal troll is open minded or not. Its also not relevant to the criticisms against self-proclaimed "open-minded" people he references.

Also, katsucats being driven by a personal objection (or maybe even grudge) is supported by the personal attack he made against OP referencing a past relationship. This shows a lack of integrity on katsucats part in regards to rational discourse. He also seem s to think he's arguing from a moral high ground but has done nothing to qualify it. Until he makes an actually relevant argument, I'm kinda inclined to label him a shitposter, in the context of this thread.

The self-flattery is rather obvious when the meaning of high-mindedness is being noble and open minded the fact that OP said that trolling is being high-minded and has been shown to be a troll firmly establishes that. How was it clear that he was a troll in his opening statements? Even by that context, he has proven to be a troll; he said being a troll in that definition is high-minded therefore self-flattery.

Whether he is a troll is relevant to this because it proves to be ironic and self-flattering and shows one's bias towards the argument. If I said I like food from restaurant A and is a chef there, my words are going to sound ironic, self-flattering and probably not taken seriously. Also, there doesn't seem to be any intent to discourse with what he did: which was to simply reveal OP to be a troll and show the absurdity of the situation, so I am really not getting this search for why he is doing this when it's made very clear.

I also find it uberly amusing you are calling him a shitposter considering what OP said about shitposters.
Jul 3, 2016 7:06 AM

Nov 2015
TheEntropy said:
The best trolls are able to draw emotion out of other posters (rage, annoyance, frustration, you get the point). It matters not how they do it, the results should tell the whole story. Take it from someone who was a pretty damn good troll before I got a life. It's not about hiding your intentions, its about letting your intentions be known, but those intentions not being too obvious.

How can you make your intentions be known without letting them be obvious? lol

Trolling really is just about hiding your intentions to get a certain thing done.
Jul 3, 2016 7:16 AM

Feb 2016
xEmptiness said:
TheEntropy said:

Trolling really is just about hiding your intentions to get a certain thing done.
You don't need to hide anything to troll. You just need to piss people off just to get a good laugh. Do you think that for example, Youtube or twitch trolls are hiding their intentions at all?
Jul 3, 2016 7:24 AM

Apr 2016
xEmptiness said:

Every argument ever given in defense of an opinion was self-flattery for the one with that opinion lol

People defend their positions. I'm merely doing that too. What makes this form of self-flattery any more immoral or any less rational than the one we all indulge in?

You didn't tell us that you were a troll. Being a troll is considered a shitty behavior on the internet. If someone just defends their position of doing something, it's fine. But if someone labeled what they are doing as being noble and somehow having higher moral principle despite its reputation to be just shitty behavior. That does make it self-flattery and you are praising yourself for that shitty behavior with these justifications of what you think you are doing despite what is being done.

But it is fine, what you said still stands and the trolling can be a sign of open-mindedness if they are able to sympathize completely with what someone else is saying so much that they can emulate it and argue like it's their own but it doesn't denote the fact that it is also an asshole move that doesn't do anything to help anyone in their pursuit of convincing another person and can be a sign of a person's intellectual dishonesty.
Jul 3, 2016 8:03 AM

Nov 2015
TheEntropy said:
xEmptiness said:

You don't need to hide anything to troll. You just need to piss people off just to get a good laugh. Do you think that for example, Youtube or twitch trolls are hiding their intentions at all?

That would be mere flamebaiting which may be a part of trolling but isn't trolling per se. Deception is integral to trolling.

Trolls_Bane said:
xEmptiness said:

You didn't tell us that you were a troll. Being a troll is considered a shitty behavior on the internet. If someone just defends their position of doing something, it's fine. But if someone labeled what they are doing as being noble and somehow having higher moral principle despite its reputation to be just shitty behavior. That does make it self-flattery and you are praising yourself for that shitty behavior with these justifications of what you think you are doing despite what is being done.

But it is fine, what you said still stands and the trolling can be a sign of open-mindedness if they are able to sympathize completely with what someone else is saying so much that they can emulate it and argue like it's their own but it doesn't denote the fact that it is also an asshole move that doesn't do anything to help anyone in their pursuit of convincing another person and can be a sign of a person's intellectual dishonesty.

You didn't give justification of why trolling is considered shitty behavior. If you didn't notice, the entire purpose of this thread is to take away that unjustified connotation from trolling and put it where it rightfully belongs.
Jul 3, 2016 8:58 AM

Apr 2016
xEmptiness said:

You didn't give justification of why trolling is considered shitty behavior. If you didn't notice, the entire purpose of this thread is to take away that unjustified connotation from trolling and put it where it rightfully belongs.

but it doesn't denote the fact that it is also an asshole move that doesn't do anything to help anyone in their pursuit of convincing another person and can be a sign of a person's intellectual dishonesty.
Jul 3, 2016 9:33 AM

Dec 2015
Why can't we all just compare our penis sizes like we did in the old days?
Jul 3, 2016 9:40 AM

May 2015
Trolls_Bane said:

Whether he is a troll is relevant to this because it proves to be ironic and self-flattering and shows one's bias towards the argument. If I said I like food from restaurant A and is a chef there, my words are going to sound ironic, self-flattering and probably not taken seriously.
But it still, logically, has no relevance to whether the food is good or not. Just as OP's self-flattery, logically, has no relevance to the rationality of his position. The difference between this thread and your restaurant example is that we don't have to drive any where to taste the food. We can evaluate for ourselves whether or not the concept presented here is reasonable or not. We can, and should, ignore OP's intent if we want to do so without bias.

What I find really ironic here are katsucats posts.
Trolls_Bane said:
I also find it uberly amusing you are calling him a shitposter considering what OP said about shitposters.
By "shitposter" I really meant my classic definition of what constitutes a "troll."

Let's consider katsucats posts:
-He hasn't contributed anything of value to the topic at hand
-He targeted a specific user with personal objections
-He's not engaging in rational discourse.
And
-He even went so far as to jab at a previous relationship (in an attempt to manipulate @xEmptiness's emotions).

These are just objective observations. It doesn't matter what may have occurred between these two previously. Going by my former definition, and in line with the generally accepted definition, in the context of this thread, katsucats is the "troll." That's ironic. Also, while OP couldn't have specifically predicted katsucats posts. It's my experience that his threads usually have multiple objectives. So he may have anticipated and even wanted something like this to happen. Meaning that it's possible that xEmptiness may have effectively trolled katsucats into being a troll. Double irony. Now that's amusing.
NeoVoltJul 3, 2016 9:46 AM
Jul 3, 2016 10:11 AM

Apr 2016
NeoVolt said:
Trolls_Bane said:

Whether he is a troll is relevant to this because it proves to be ironic and self-flattering and shows one's bias towards the argument. If I said I like food from restaurant A and is a chef there, my words are going to sound ironic, self-flattering and probably not taken seriously.
But it still, logically, has no relevance to whether the food is good or not. Just as OP's self-flattery, logically, has no relevance to the rationality of his position. The difference between this thread and your restaurant example is that we don't have to drive any where to taste the food. We can evaluate for ourselves whether or not the concept presented here is reasonable or not. We can, and should, ignore OP's intent if we want to do so without bias.

What I find really ironic here are katsucats posts.
Trolls_Bane said:
By "shitposter" I really meant my classic definition of what constitutes a "troll."

Let's consider katsucats posts:
-He hasn't contributed anything of value to the topic at hand
-He targeted a specific user with personal objections
-He's not engaging in rational discourse.
And
-He even went so far as to jab at a previous relationship (in an attempt to manipulate @xEmptiness's emotions).

These are just objective observations. It doesn't matter what may have occurred between these two previously. Going by my former definition, and in line with the generally accepted definition, in the context of this thread, katsucats is the "troll." That's ironic. Also, while OP couldn't have specifically predicted katsucats posts. It's my experience that his threads usually have multiple objectives. So he may have anticipated and even wanted something like this to happen. Meaning that it's possible that xEmptiness may have effectively trolled katsucats into being a troll. Double irony. Now that's amusing.

So many semantics going on. So he is shitposter but only by the classic definition of the word? He has contributed facts about the user and that fact concerns what was discussed in the thread. This is also his own definition of why trolling is high-minded, entirely ignoring people who just do it for the lulz and emulate position for fun which also doesn't take much effort, not contributing to the discussion between both side, rather souring it worst with intentional straw man and things that are used to rile people up.

Yeah, it is just self-flattery because the chef is complimenting himself about the quality of his own food. That is self-flattery, plain and simple. Sure, he has a logic on why the food tastes good but that does not take away the fact that he is complimenting his own restaurant despite its bad reputation and this analogued the trolling aspect. The fact that OP wasn't honest about whether he was a troll before he made this thread is what made this situation amusing to me and the intention of this user is quite clear, show him to be a troll and give a few jabs towards OP for being one.

I am seriously not getting all this credit you are giving him while just disparaging and disregarding the other guy. OP literally is complimenting himself for being a troll and he didn't even say he was one to begin with, you actually honestly not find the revelations that he is amusing? Wow.
Jul 3, 2016 10:28 AM

Dec 2015
The fact that your name is Trolls_Bane and you are actively "feeding" the troll is the most amusing part of this entire *ahem* discussion to me.
Jul 3, 2016 10:32 AM

Apr 2016
Vivisect said:
The fact that your name is Trolls_Bane and you are actively "feeding" the troll is the most amusing part of this entire *ahem* discussion to me.

I will like to give them the benefit of the doubt ;-)
Jul 3, 2016 11:22 AM

May 2015
Trolls_Bane said:
So many semantics going on. So he is shitposter but only by the classic definition of the word?
No semantics. Doesn't really matter what word we use. The four qualifiers I listed still apply.

Trolls_Bane said:

I am seriously not getting all this credit you are giving him while just disparaging and disregarding the other guy. OP literally is complimenting himself for being a troll and he didn't even say he was one to begin with, you actually honestly not find the revelations that he is amusing? Wow.
I think you're just misunderstanding which points are relevant to me. All I care about is the idea, not the OP at all. His idea gets zero credit other than what it has on it's own merit.

Also, there is no logical reason to apply semantic bias associated with the word "troll" in this context. Doing so only hinders a complete exploration of the idea.

As far as katsucats, primarily I am not considering him at all. I am only considering the ideas he presents. Since everything he's posted amounts to a personal objection to OP, I don't consider any of it relevant. Since judging an idea based on the reputation of the poster, or by the intent of the poster (self-flattery or whatever), both represent logical fallacies and have no relevance to whether the idea is a good one or not. Had katsucats objected to the idea itself, I would have been happy to engage in a discussion with him. And if you read my first replies, I ask for clarification and even prompt for objections to the idea presented by OP. I automatically offer respect to people willing to engage in rational discourse. And I tend to automatically assume that people want to engage.

However, it quickly became clear what katsucats intent was. Ending with his bringing up a past relationship of OP. At this point I concluded that he had no intention to engage in rational discourse. Since something like that is intellectually bankrupt. It all amounts to a personal attack.

Trolls_Bane said:
show him to be a troll and give a few jabs towards OP for being one.
This kind of moral relativism is self-contradictory. In this context, I find your position to be the one based on unqualified semantics. You are using a label of "troll" (self-applied being irrelevant) to justify personal attacks, while never qualifying any specific troll qualities of the OP. And even if you did qualify traits based on past posts, they don't apply here, in this context. AND even if they did, it would still be hypocritical to use them to justify personal attacks against the OP.
NeoVoltJul 3, 2016 11:29 AM
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Is MAL dead? ( 1 2 3 )

-Mayhem- - Nov 30, 2022

115 by Rndmguypassingby »»
17 minutes ago

» Jokes

Zettaiken - Jun 6

9 by Rndmguypassingby »»
18 minutes ago

» If you could time travel and teleport where and when would you go? ( 1 2 )

Paladin23 - Jan 25

69 by Rndmguypassingby »»
20 minutes ago

» What anime or anime episodes give you a nostalgic summer feeling?

heyaheya - Jun 6

20 by MalchikRepaid »»
20 minutes ago

» why spelling of english language is so hard? its the only language that has spelling competition?

deg - Jun 7

35 by Kikugi »»
28 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.