Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

Do you think Hunter X Hunter could have been the most popular anime if it wasn't for the hiatuses?

New
Do you think Hunter X Hunter could have been the most popular anime if it wasn't for the hiatuses?
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Mar 8, 2015 10:39 AM

Mar 2012
Naruto has over 200 million sales to HxH's 65 million and 72 volumes to HxH's 32, I'm pretty sure Naruto has better sales on average per volume.

When people say this and feel offended and call others condescending when they tell them something may be too complex for them.

End Zionazism

Sep 2011
Agafin said:
DoctorCaim said:
Four volumes of Naruto sold more than two volumes of Hunter x Hunter.

I'm still not seeing his point.
Agafin said:
Because it released twice as many volumes. In terms of sales per colume(the link I posted), they are more or less equalv

Here's the problem though, Naruto's avg volume sales fluctuate a lot. There was a time when they sold at around 3-4 mil. I'm not sure about HxH at it's peak but it's hard to calculate hypothetically how equal they would be. Since the avg's aren't static and HxH often goes into hiatus before finishing a volume. So it hurts sales once it actually releases, since so much time passes. As it stands Naruto has still sold more world wide regardless, and in Japan it's still above HxH's avg even without taking the hiatuses into account.

Anyways what Mikasa was originally saying is that HxH was the best selling manga in his original post. Which is factually untrue. Regardless of whether we are referring to World Wide, Japan sales or sales per volume. It's not even close to One Piece for example which has been number 1 for nearly a decade.

Jun 2014
Feaor said:
Naruto has over 200 million sales to HxH's 65 million and 72 volumes to HxH's 32, I'm pretty sure Naruto has better sales on average per volume.

Are you using Wikipedia? You shouldn't. The sales they provided for Naruto are worldwide sales while for other manga (like Bleach and most likely Hunter), they provided sales in Japan only. Hardly any comparison can be made. If we keep it to Japan only then both HxH and Naruto have average sales per volume of 2 million.
Mar 8, 2015 10:40 AM

Dec 2013
No, because it's not very appealing show at first glance as many others said. Even I doubted if I should watch it since it looked childish and not anything special. Oh how wrong I was.

Tbh, I'm not that sad or anything that it's not very popular ( thought it is popular more or less ). Massive popularity has its downsides.
Mar 8, 2015 10:41 AM

Sep 2011
Agafin said:
Feaor said:

Are you using Wikipedia? You shouldn't. The sales they provided for Naruto are worldwide sales while for other manga (like Bleach and most likely Hunter), they provided sales in Japan only. Hardly any comparison can be made. If we keep it to Japan only then both HxH and Naruto have average sales per volume of 2 million.

This thread was about world wide sales to begin with. The stuff on wikipedia is outdated but still proves the point.
Mar 8, 2015 10:42 AM

Jun 2014
Fullmetal89 said:
Agafin said:

Here's the problem though, Naruto's avg volume sales fluctuate a lot. There was a time when they sold at around 3-4 mil. I'm not sure about HxH at it's peak but it's hard to calculate hypothetically how equal they would be. Since the avg's aren't static and HxH often goes into hiatus before finishing a volume. So it hurts sales once it actually releases, since so much time passes. As it stands Naruto has still sold more world wide regardless, and in Japan it's still above HxH's avg even without taking the hiatuses into account.

Anyways what Mikasa was originally saying is that HxH was the best selling manga in his original post. Which is factually untrue. Regardless of whether we are referring to World Wide, Japan sales or sales per volume. It's not even close to One Piece for example which has been number 1 for nearly a decade.
Lolno. That never happened.
HxH was initially more popular than Naruto (most likely thanks to the hype from YYH) but it's popularity slowly decreased during the hiatus to Naruto's level.
Yeah, Mikasa was wrong about that, you shouldn't take such baseless statements seriously
Mar 8, 2015 10:45 AM

Mar 2012
Fullmetal89 said:
Agafin said:

This thread was about world wide sales to begin with. The stuff on wikipedia is outdated but still proves the point.

Except this whole debate was to put into account everything other than world wide current sales, it seems your interpretation of the thread is completely off.

It's point in the first place is to disregard the current numbers and assume that HxH had no hiatuses, and the effects and consequences of that.
End Zionazism
Mar 8, 2015 10:45 AM

Sep 2011
Agafin said:
Fullmetal89 said:

Lolno. That never happened.
HxH was initially more popular than Naruto (most likely thanks to the hype from YYH) but it's popularity slowly decreased during the hiatus to Naruto's level.
Yeah, Mikasa was wrong about that, you shouldn't take such baseless statements seriously

Actually yes it did happen sold 4.3 mil in 2008.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-01-02/2008-top-selling-manga-in-japan-by-series

Mind you that was only in Japan by the way.
Mar 8, 2015 10:46 AM

Mar 2012
Total copies... not volume....
What the f***

People seriously need to learn how to read.
End Zionazism
Mar 8, 2015 10:46 AM

Jun 2014
Fullmetal89 said:
Agafin said:

I think you didn't get what I said. The sales for Naruto listed there are worldwide while for Bleach, Hunter and probably other manga are Japanese only. In other words, it's inconsistent.
Mar 8, 2015 10:48 AM

Jun 2014
Fullmetal89 said:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-01-02/2008-top-selling-manga-in-japan-by-series

Oh, I though you were talking about sales per volume. My bad.
Mar 8, 2015 10:50 AM
Dec 2013
Nah, the lack of fights compared to other battle shounens (among other things) is probably the cause of its unpopularity. Hiatuses don't really make much of a difference.
wildhoodMar 8, 2015 10:53 AM
Mar 8, 2015 10:51 AM

Sep 2011
Agafin said:
Fullmetal89 said:

Actually I think we are both confused I thought the topic shifted to yearly sales when I started to read your post on Mikasa confusing the animenewsnetwork page on yearly sales to volume. Anyway yeah, you are right about the wikipedia stuff it's inconsistent I was checking the sources on the page.

Those 2008 numbers place volume 43 at 1.1 million and according to wikipedia this was Naruto's biggest year. So if HxH averages 1.1 million per volume then it's more than possible that it would catch up and eventually overtake Naruto's sales. In Japan.
Mar 8, 2015 10:53 AM

Mar 2012
Fullmetal89 said:
Agafin said:

Actually I think we are both confused I thought the topic shifted to yearly sales when I started to read your post on Mikasa confusing the animenewsnetwork page on yearly sales to volume. Anyway yeah, you are right about the wikipedia stuff it's inconsistent I was checking the sources on the page.

Fullmetal89 said:

Here's the problem though, Naruto's avg volume sales fluctuate a lot. There was a time when they sold at around 3-4 mil.

Delete your quotes before trying to be dodgy...
End Zionazism
Mar 8, 2015 10:55 AM

Sep 2011
Mikasa said:
Fullmetal89 said:

Fullmetal89 said:

Here's the problem though, Naruto's avg volume sales fluctuate a lot. There was a time when they sold at around 3-4 mil.

I don't need to delete anything. I said I was mistaken. I find it funny you saying I'm being dodgy when you started off you post here saying:

Mikasa said:
Not sure about the anime, but the manga is currently relatively the best selling manga of all time as such, it'd have the more sales than any manga given the same number of volumes as well as momentum of continuous releases.

Now you are backpedaling to competing with Naruto.
Mar 8, 2015 10:56 AM

Jun 2014
Yeah, you should be really careful when using Wikipedia, they are basically putting in the same list, the worlwide prints (not sales, you can check their source) of Naruto VS Japanese sales of other manga like HxH and Bleach.
Mar 8, 2015 10:57 AM

Oct 2012
Either way One Piece still crushes both Naruto and HxH in sales.
Mar 8, 2015 10:59 AM

Mar 2012
Fullmetal89 said:
Mikasa said:

I don't need to delete anything. I said I was mistaken. I find it funny you saying I'm being dodgy when you started off you post here saying:

Mikasa said:
Not sure about the anime, but the manga is currently relatively the best selling manga of all time as such, it'd have the more sales than any manga given the same number of volumes as well as momentum of continuous releases.

Now you are backpedaling to competing with Naruto.

This is the core of this thread. There's no backpedaling. The thread has nothing to do with current overall statistics, but comparative advantages.

You provided inaccurate figures, and failed to require equivalent ones in the same period of time.

Here are the facts
1. Naruto's volume sales are the same as HxH, albeit less consistent (despite having consistent releases)

2. Therefore, all other things equal (removing the accumulative sales of past volumes), HxH would sell as much, if not more than Naruto.
End Zionazism
Mar 8, 2015 10:59 AM

Jan 2013
Fullmetal89 said:
Agafin said:

Those 2008 numbers place volume 43 at 1.1 million and according to wikipedia this was Naruto's biggest year. So if HxH averages 1.1 million per volume then it's more than possible that it would catch up and eventually overtake Naruto's sales. In Japan.
Well HxH isn't achieving much worldwide if we're not getting statistics outside of Japan.

And from this archive:
http://web.archive.org/web/20140404160031/http://adnavi.shueisha.co.jp/mediaguide/2013/pdf/boys.pdf

Along with the sales made in 2014, Naruto just about doubles HxH's sales in total
Mar 8, 2015 11:03 AM

Feb 2015
HxH's format and lack of dub would keep it from climbing much higher in popularity.

What kid is going to want to read subtitles explaining the logistics of a fight when he/she could just watch Natsu scream "Oh you're gonna get it now!! Friendship!!!" and obliterate his opponent in Fairy Tail?
Mar 8, 2015 11:05 AM

May 2014
TheRefractingOne said:
HxH's format and lack of dub would keep it from climbing much higher in popularity.

What kid is going to want to read subtitles explaining the logistics of a fight when he/she could just watch Natsu scream "Oh you're gonna get it now!! Friendship!!!" and obliterate his opponent in Fairy Tail?

HxH isnt actually suited for kids , just sayin ...
FT and naruto on the other hand ...

Sep 2011
Mikasa said:

This is the core of this thread. There's no backpedaling. The thread has nothing to do with current overall statistics, but comparative advantages.

You provided inaccurate figures, and failed to require equivalent ones in the same period of time.

Here are the facts
1. Naruto's volume sales are the same as HxH, albeit less consistent (despite having consistent releases)

2. Therefore, all other things equal (removing the accumulative sales of past volumes), HxH would sell as much, if not more than Naruto.

Poison414 said:
Hunter X Hunter is actually very popular due to the 2011 Remake, but if the series wasn't plagued by hiatuses, do you think the series could have been as big as Dragon Ball Z, Naruto, One Piece or Sailor Moon? (I'm more so talking about the western world here)

Considering the OP was talking about popularity in the West your entire argument goes out the window. HxH is pretty much nonexistent in the west outside of anime fandom. It doesn't sell anywhere near as good as Naruto in the west.

If we are talking strictly about Japan and we are ignoring Togashi's personality and his hiatuses then it's more than possible that it would rival or overtake Naruto.

But we aren't talking about Japanese sales, even if hypothetical ones.

Jun 2014
DoctorCaim said:
Well HxH isn't achieving much worldwide if we're not getting statistics outside of Japan.
That's baseless. What about Bleach?
Mar 8, 2015 11:06 AM

Jan 2013
WAD1992 said:
TheRefractingOne said:

Why not?
Mar 8, 2015 11:09 AM

May 2014
DoctorCaim said:
WAD1992 said:

Why not?

maybe because of all the gory violent disturbing death scenes ...
Mar 8, 2015 11:10 AM

Jun 2014
Fullmetal89 said:
utside of anime fandom. It doesn't sell anywhere near as good in the west.
If we are talking strictly about Japan and we are ignoring Togashi's personality and his hiatuses then it's more than possible that it would rival or overtake Naruto.
The US =/= The West. It sells about half as well as Naruto in France (the second greatest manga market after Japan) and it's latest volume released there was 9th best selling of 2013. It also sells really well in Germany if I'm not mistaken which is probably an even bigger market than the US
Mar 8, 2015 11:11 AM

Mar 2012
Fullmetal89 said:
Mikasa said:

Here are the facts

Poison414 said:
Hunter X Hunter is actually very popular due to the 2011 Remake, but if the series wasn't plagued by hiatuses, do you think the series could have been as big as Dragon Ball Z, Naruto, One Piece or Sailor Moon? (I'm more so talking about the western world here)

Considering the OP was talking about popularity in the West your entire argument goes out the window. HxH is pretty much nonexistent in the west outside of anime fandom. It doesn't sell anywhere near as good as Naruto in the west.

But we aren't talking about Japanese sales, even if hypothetical ones.

West or east or both has nothing to do, how is that even a counter-argument?

OP's question was, even if west-specific, about the sales and overall franchise exposure had it been to the release frequency of the manga in Japan, and subsequently world wide

To which my answer, was, that numerically, stats show that it is more successful than Bleach and Naruto already (as opposed to your counter argument about manga volume numbers before you magically decided it has nothing to do with sales- the very ting we're discussing)
End Zionazism
Mar 8, 2015 11:14 AM

Jan 2013
WAD1992 said:
DoctorCaim said:
Why not?

Naruto has violence. Bleach has violence. Fairy Tail has violence.
Mar 8, 2015 11:15 AM

Mar 2012
Actually, I found the overall Naruto sales, and it seems Hunter x Hunter is in fact more popular overall in sales even including regular accumulation by volume number for Naruto

but not including end-manga accumulation boost
End Zionazism
Mar 8, 2015 11:16 AM

Jan 2013
Agafin said:
DoctorCaim said:
Companies/publishers/authors usually like to list their worldwide sales when a landmark in financials have been achieved.

Naruto, One Piece, Bleach, are all under the same publisher.
Mar 8, 2015 11:17 AM

May 2014
DoctorCaim said:
WAD1992 said:

im guessing u haven't seen HxH have u ?? :|
naruto/bleach/FT doesn't even have gore and NO they DONT have violence, your idea of violence is way of :|
Mar 8, 2015 11:18 AM

Jan 2013
WAD1992 said:
DoctorCaim said:

im guessing u haven't seen HxH have u ?? :|
naruto/bleach/FT doesn't even have gore and NO they DONT have violence, your idea of violence is way of :|
I have seen it. People get decapitated in Naruto
Mar 8, 2015 11:20 AM

May 2014
DoctorCaim said:
I have seen it. People get decapitated in Naruto[/quote]

im starting to think you're trolling me :P
in any case get me that scene with the decapitation, i sure as hell dont remember it :)
Mar 8, 2015 11:21 AM

Jan 2014
Actually, going over the data from 2007 onwards made available by Oricon, Naruto at its peak sold significantly more copies.
There doesn't seem to be much data for the years before that when they first started selling, but I'd assume HxH started out stronger seeing as it was the work of a well known author.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!

Mar 2012
Additionally, HxH sales went up by 16.7% from 2011 to 2012 (nothing came out in 2013) whereas Naruto went up by 16.1% from 2011 to 2013.
End Zionazism

Jun 2014
DoctorCaim said:
Agafin said:
Companies/publishers/authors usually like to list their worldwide sales when a landmark in financials have been achieved.

Naruto, One Piece, Bleach, are all under the same publisher.

No you didn't get me. What I mean is that you assumed that since we don't know Hunter X Hunter's Worldwide sales, then it's not doing much. My question is that there are other manga like Bleach whose worldwide sales are unavailable. Are you also going to say that it's because it didn't sell much?
Mar 8, 2015 11:23 AM

Jan 2013
WAD1992 said:
DoctorCaim said:

in any case get me that scene with the decapitation, i sure as hell dont remember it :)[/quote]There's also this in Bleach

In Naruto
PeenusWeenusCaimMar 8, 2015 11:29 AM
Mar 8, 2015 11:26 AM

Jun 2012
Certainly. If you look at Hunter x Hunter's weekly jump rankings from the late 90s and early 2000s when Naruto was just starting up, Zombie Powder was a thing, and Stone Ocean was still running you'd see that it was always up there right alongside titles such as One Piece and Prince of Tennis.

Of course every time it comes off hiatus nowadays you see it in the bottom five rankings, which isn't exactly a warm welcome from the Japanese.

I mean to say it could have been the most or second most popular Manga, but the Anime hasn't had any hiatuses so I'm going to assume we're referring to the series in general.

If we're going by sales per volume it's also close to the top and will probably eventually surpass titles such as Fist of the North Star and Rurouni Kenshin.
Mar 8, 2015 11:27 AM

May 2014
DoctorCaim said:
WAD1992 said:

in any case get me that scene with the decapitation, i sure as hell dont remember it :)
There's also this in Bleach

[/quote]

the naruto one if u dont mind :3
and seriously even with that bleach cant come close to the disturbing imagery of HxH.
i dont mean that in a good way :P
Mar 8, 2015 11:30 AM

Jun 2014
I think it would be more popular if it wasn't so violent.

Mar 8, 2015 11:32 AM

Mar 2012
Speaking of violence
End Zionazism
Mar 8, 2015 11:33 AM

Jan 2013
WAD1992 said:
DoctorCaim said:

There's also this in Bleach

the naruto one if u dont mind :3
and seriously even with that bleach cant come close to the disturbing imagery of HxH.
i dont mean that in a good way :P[/quote]Yeah well... Naruto has a swastika!

Mar 8, 2015 11:38 AM

Jun 2014
Feaor said:
Either way One Piece still crushes both Naruto and HxH in sales.

Oh I missed this. This thread is about how popular it would have been if there weren't any hiatus. Well, when it started in the late 90s, early 2000s(as in when there were no hiatus), it was about as popular as One Piece, both of them having initial prints of ~900k. Also this:

YorozuyaGinSan said:
Certainly. If you look at Hunter x Hunter's weekly jump rankings from the late 90s and early 2000s when Naruto was just starting up, Zombie Powder was a thing, and Stone Ocean was still running you'd see that it was always up there right alongside titles such as One Piece and Prince of Tennis.

Of course every time it comes off hiatus nowadays you see it in the bottom five rankings, which isn't exactly a warm welcome from the Japanese.

I mean to say it could have been the most or second most popular Manga, but the Anime hasn't had any hiatuses so I'm going to assume we're referring to the series in general.

If we're going by sales per volume it's also close to the top and will probably eventually surpass titles such as Fist of the North Star and Rurouni Kenshin.
Mar 8, 2015 12:08 PM

Oct 2014
No, but it deserves to be more popular
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 8, 2015 12:33 PM

Mar 2015
nope, i think.....
Mar 8, 2015 4:35 PM

Jul 2014
One of, not the most.
Mar 8, 2015 4:37 PM

Dec 2012
Maybe. Who knows.
Mar 8, 2015 4:38 PM

Jul 2014
WAD1992 said:
DoctorCaim said:

Fairy Tail's anime is heavily censored, there is no blood or gore, just scratches. HxH also features many philosophical topics.
Mar 8, 2015 4:41 PM

Feb 2013
WAD1992 said:

If you're still there
Mar 8, 2015 4:43 PM

Dec 2012
gedata said:

Where did you find those good scans?
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 96 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 14, 2013

191 by Nerdason »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 95 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 7, 2013

167 by Nerdason »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 94 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

247Eyes - Aug 31, 2013

173 by Nerdason »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 93 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Aug 17, 2013

209 by Nerdason »»
Yesterday, 4:02 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 92 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Aug 10, 2013

167 by Nerdason »»
Yesterday, 3:34 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.