Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

Do you think Hunter X Hunter could have been the most popular anime if it wasn't for the hiatuses?

New
Do you think Hunter X Hunter could have been the most popular anime if it wasn't for the hiatuses?
Mar 8, 2015 8:57 AM
Mar 2015
Hunter X Hunter is actually very popular due to the 2011 Remake, but if the series wasn't plagued by hiatuses, do you think the series could have been as big as Dragon Ball Z, Naruto, One Piece or Sailor Moon? (I'm more so talking about the western world here)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Mar 8, 2015 8:58 AM

Sep 2014
no
Mar 8, 2015 8:58 AM

Nov 2012
Maybe.
Mar 8, 2015 8:59 AM

Nov 2010
No, it doesn't have the appeal or the dub.
Mar 8, 2015 9:00 AM

Jun 2013
Anime generally isn't that popular in the western world so.. no.
Mar 8, 2015 9:05 AM

Jan 2013
No.

Now let me ask a question.

"Do you think HxH Hunter fans will stop the public dickriding?"
Mar 8, 2015 9:05 AM

Apr 2013
Nah, too many people are turned off by the bunch of kids as main characters. Even I was...
5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...
Mar 8, 2015 9:06 AM

Apr 2013
Hmm, probably no
Mar 8, 2015 9:07 AM

Nov 2014
Hiatus x Hiatus is good as it is.
Mar 8, 2015 9:08 AM

Oct 2012
DoctorCaim said:
Cmon, the answer to that question is very clearly no.
Mar 8, 2015 9:09 AM

Apr 2013
Who cares about popular?

The true test of popularity is once they're done airing anyway, see in 10, 15, 20, 25 years.

DoctorCaim said:
Mar 8, 2015 9:10 AM

Mar 2010
Yes when a anime has a hiatus it makes it less appealing to me. For example snk won't have another season until next year so it makes everyone wait.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Mar 8, 2015 9:12 AM

Sep 2013
HxH will be #1 on MAL in 1 or 2 years, so it will be the most popular.
Mar 8, 2015 9:16 AM

Mar 2012
Not sure about the anime, but the manga is currently relatively the best selling manga of all time as such, it'd have the more sales than any manga given the same number of volumes as well as momentum of continuous releases.

So as a result, perhaps the anime would have a far greater appeal too, world wide. But overall it's hindered by its complexity, the lack of which helped many series such as the Big 3, to be as popular as they are.
End Zionazism
Mar 8, 2015 9:17 AM

Jan 2015
Mikasa said:
Not sure about the anime, but the manga is currently relatively the best selling manga of all time as such, it'd have the more sales than any manga given the same number of volumes as well as momentum of continuous releases.

So as a result, perhaps the anime would have a far greater appeal too, world wide. But overall it's hindered by its complexity, the lack of which helped many series such as the Big 3, to be as popular as they are.

Relatively.

Oh man this is some serious public dick riding.

Mikasa said:

Yeah, luckily Steins Gate is really simple, so it locked up the #2 spot.
Mar 8, 2015 9:18 AM

Dec 2013
Mar 8, 2015 9:20 AM

Mar 2012
You quoted me twice.
And this is simple statistics.

As for Steins Gate, I didn't say complex shows don't get popular, but even the ones that do, would have half as much popularity as a dumbed down version of the same exposure.
End Zionazism
Mar 8, 2015 9:32 AM

May 2014
yes!!!
duhhh, its already #3 WITH the hiatus, if togashi actually managed to finish the story in time, we might have gotten an EPIC anime series , not to mention it appeals to all ages (hence a massive fanbase) so yeah why wouldn't it be ??!! :P
ZA_WAYDMar 8, 2015 9:35 AM
Mar 8, 2015 9:33 AM

Sep 2011
Mikasa said:

Care to share your sources for that? Because I'm pretty damn sure that One Piece holds that position at 345 million.

If HxH had continuous releases it would definitely be better known. I don't think it would reach the heights of One Piece or Dragon Ball, but it would be up there with Naruto and Bleach. Of course that will never happen because Togashi is a manic depressive who can't seem to maintain a regular schedule for more than 6 months.
Mar 8, 2015 9:35 AM

Mar 2012
Fullmetal89 said:
Mikasa said:

Care to share your sources for that? Because I'm pretty damn sure that One Piece holds that position at 345 million.

If HxH had continuous releases it would definitely be better known. I don't think it would reach the heights of One Piece or Dragon Ball, but it would be up there with Naruto and Bleach. Of course that will never happen because Togashi is a manic depressive who can't seem to maintain a regular schedule for more than 6 months.

Except it's already up there with naruto and double Bleach's. In this case only the first condition (number of volumes) is needed to outsell them.
End Zionazism
Mar 8, 2015 9:38 AM

Sep 2011
Mikasa said:
Fullmetal89 said:

Except it's already up there with naruto and double Bleach's. In this case only the first condition (number of volumes) is needed to outsell them.

In terms of world wide sales Naruto sits at 205 mil, Bleach at 82 mil and HxH at 65 mil. So again, where are you getting your 'simple statistics'? your ass does not count
Mar 8, 2015 9:40 AM

Dec 2012
Highly doubt it. Despite all its merits, especially in most of the fights and some of the characters, the series has some serious attention span issues. Most of the time it feels as if every arc was being written on the spot, and there's never a really serious overarching goal, aim or structure to the whole thing...

I personally don't think that even the crowd that made the Big 3 so popular could seriously get into it to the point of making it #1 but, then again, the Big 3 suck anyway, and the HxH comic is already insanely popular as it is, so what do I know?
PantsManMar 8, 2015 9:44 AM
Mar 8, 2015 9:41 AM

Aug 2011
Who cares if it would be more popular, it's already better then them and that's all that matters.
Mar 8, 2015 9:43 AM

Nov 2013
geralt said:
Nah, too many people are turned off by the bunch of kids as main characters. Even I was...

And what's the issue exactly with a younger cast? The series' maturity expands far further than two of the main characters' physical appearance.
Mar 8, 2015 9:44 AM

Mar 2012
Fullmetal89 said:
Mikasa said:

In terms of world wide sales Naruto sits at 205 mil, Bleach at 82 mil and HxH at 65 mil. So again, where are you getting your 'simple statistics'? your ass does not count

Volume sales average 1.1M each, and not to forget the accumulation sales for Naruto (people buying older volumes to catch up, as well as the sales after it ends) add to these numbers.
End Zionazism
Mar 8, 2015 9:45 AM

Sep 2011
PantsMan said:
Highly doubt it. Despite all its merits, especially in most of the fights, the series has some serious attention span issues. Most of the time it feels as if every arc was being written on the spot, and there's never a really serious overarching goal, aim or structure to the whole thing...

I disagree with this. I think Togashi does plan out the arcs well before writing them. I think he always intended for the Chimera Ant arc to end how it did. You could argue that the main character doesn't have a concrete goal like many other Shonen protagonists. I mean at the start of the series Gon wanted to find his dad and now it's a bit more complicated. It's not as clear cut as "I want to become Hokage, believe it!" or "I'll become the Pirate King."

Mikasa said:
Fullmetal89 said:

Volume sales average 1.1M each, and not to forget the accumulation sales for Naruto (people buying older volumes to catch up, as well as the sales after it ends) add to these numbers.

Going with your math there. HxH averages about 1.1 mil copies sold per volume. If we give HxH the number of volumes One Piece has 76 (the wiki page is outdated) multiply that with what HxH avg 1.1m per volume you get 83.6 mil copies sold. That's still way bellow the top manga. One Piece avgs around 4-5 mil per volume and Naruto is something like 2-3 mil. Mind you these are world wide estimates. HxH would still be around the same number of vol sold as Bleach. It's just not that popular world wide. I don't think that's a problem with the manga's quality but marketing. It also appeals to an older demographic which outside of Japan doesn't really care for anime or cartoons.

If the original HxH anime had been released in Toonami back in the early 00s when anime was exploding in the west. It might have seen better recognition and sales at least in the U.S.
FullmetalRaikouMar 8, 2015 9:57 AM
Mar 8, 2015 9:47 AM

May 2014
I think if it ever got dubbed by the likes of funamation and they made it a bit more for kids/teens (censors/ change some stuff) it could possibly be as big as Pokemon was. Of course that's just my opinion.
I've been here way too long...
Mar 8, 2015 9:49 AM

Jan 2013
Mikasa said:
Fullmetal89 said:

There are accumulation sales for HxH as well so I'm not seeing how this has anything to do with supporting your previous statements.
Mar 8, 2015 9:51 AM

Mar 2012
DoctorCaim said:
Mikasa said:

There are accumulation sales for HxH as well so I'm not seeing how this has anything to do with supporting your previous statements.

Not as much as a series with 72 volumes, a 2-year head-start of sales (last time HxH sales had an official update), and more importantly a series that had ended

How much did Naruto sell overall back in 2013? As in total sales?
End Zionazism
Mar 8, 2015 9:57 AM

Dec 2012
Fullmetal89 said:
I disagree with this. I think Togashi does plan out the arcs well before writing them. I think he always intended for the Chimera Ant arc to end how it did.

Oh no, don't get me wrong; the arcs in themselves tend to be rather solid (with the exception of the New York Shin one, which was honestly all over the place... F**k the New York Shin arc.)

However, the series in itself is just naturally extremely jittery. It's as if Togashi has an idea but then, mid-way in between an arc, he has a new inspiration, which he almost immediately phones in. "Oh, Jojo was pretty cool. Let's have stands now! Oh, haggling is awesome! Let's have some of that, too! Dodgeball? Shit, I could make something cool with that! Dodgeball it is, then!"

By lack of structure, I also mean that the succession of the arcs doesn't really flow well together. It's more of a series of loosely-tied scenarios and cool ideas the author had loosely strung together.

HxH is like an excellently done "scrapbook series". The individual content in itself is great, and there's enough rules and settings that could fuel five different series as it is, but it lacks polish and self-control from an overall point of view, which I think is what holds it back the most.

After the hiatuses, obviously.
Mar 8, 2015 10:00 AM

Sep 2011
PantsMan said:
Fullmetal89 said:
I disagree with this. I think Togashi does plan out the arcs well before writing them. I think he always intended for the Chimera Ant arc to end how it did.

Oh no, don't get me wrong; the arcs in themselves tend to be rather solid (with the exception of the New York Shin one, which was honestly all over the place... F**k the New York Shin arc.)

However, the series in itself is just naturally extremely jittery. It's as if Togashi has an idea but then, mid-way in between an arc, he has a new inspiration, which he almost immediately phones in. "Oh, Jojo was pretty cool. Let's have stands now! Oh, haggling is awesome! Let's have some of that, too! Dodgeball? Shit, I could make something cool with that! Dodgeball it is, then!"

By lack of structure, I also mean that the succession of the arcs doesn't really flow well together. It's more of a series of loosely-tied scenarios and cool ideas the author had loosely strung together.

HxH is like an excellently done scrapbook series. The individual content in itself is great, and there's enough rules and settings that could fuel five different series as it is, but it lacks polish and self-control from an overall point of view, which I think is what holds it back the most.

After the hiatuses, obviously.

I get what you are saying with the scrapbook analogy, I guess that does make sense. I think Togashi wanted to experiment with a lot of different things each arc feels different from the other. I still think that once the arc begins, it has a goal from start to finish. There does seem to be some disjointed theme changes throughout the series though. Like the transition between York New (which is my favorite actually lol) and Greed Island. I feel like Greed Island could have been it's own series separate from the HxH universe.
Mar 8, 2015 10:06 AM

Jan 2013
Mikasa said:
DoctorCaim said:

Not as much as a series with 72 volumes, a 2-year head-start of sales (last time HxH sales had an official update), and more importantly a series that had ended

How much did Naruto sell overall back in 2013? As in total sales?
Naruto sold 5.5 million and ranked 5th. Hunter x Hunter placed 8th.
In 2012, HxH ranked 8th.
In 2011, HxH ranked 13th.
In 2010, HxH ranekd 19th.

Also Naruto didn't end in 2013 so I'm not seeing support for that statement either. Nor is it supporting your aforementioned statements too. It's not "up" there imo.
Mar 8, 2015 10:09 AM

Mar 2012
... Do you not understand the words "total sales" and "overall"? I meant the overall sales since the beginning till 2013.

Your numbers show that there were 5-6 volumes of Naruto released vs 0,1 or 2 for HxH
End Zionazism
Mar 8, 2015 10:15 AM

Jan 2013
Mikasa said:
... Do you not understand the words "total sales" and "overall"? I meant the overall sales since the beginning till 2013.

Your numbers show that there were 5-6 volumes of Naruto released vs 0,1 or 2 for HxH
And? What are you even trying to prove? You're throwing random statistics and pseudo facts for what purpose? Wrong statistics while I'm at it.
Mar 8, 2015 10:17 AM

Mar 2012
Stop dodging my question -.-

And how are those fake? Naruto releases 5-6 volumes a year compared to HxH's 1, 2 or none
End Zionazism
Mar 8, 2015 10:18 AM

Jun 2014
In Japan? The manga is more popular than Bleach's and around as popular as Naruto. The anime is less popular than both. Without hiatuses, I could see it be more popular.

Worldwide? No, it doesn't have enough appeal. It would be more popular if it got a dub but that's about it. The only anime that I could call mainstream on a worlwide scale are Death Note, Code Geass, SAO, Dragonball/Z, Naruto, SNK, Pokemon, FMA03, Digimon, Sailormoon and NGE(if I'm not forgetting anything)
Mar 8, 2015 10:19 AM

Jan 2013
I'm not dodging your question. I'm asking, what's the purpose of the question? Naruto sold more than Hunter x Hunter and that's fact. What does number of volumes have to do with it selling less? Who fucking cares? Naruto sold more than Hunter x Hunter and that's an objective statement. Black Jack sold 176 million with 17 volumes in a 10 year period.
Mar 8, 2015 10:22 AM

Mar 2012
DoctorCaim said:
I'm not dodging your question. I'm asking, what's the purpose of the question? Naruto is sold more than Hunter x Hunter and that's fact. What does number of volumes have to do with it selling less? Who fucking cares? Naruto sold more than Hunter x Hunter and that's an objective statement.

-Naruto sold more than HxH
-Refuses to give out the specific number I asked for, which I explained above what it represents.

lol.
End Zionazism
Mar 8, 2015 10:23 AM

Jan 2013
Mikasa said:
DoctorCaim said:
I'm not dodging your question. I'm asking, what's the purpose of the question? Naruto is sold more than Hunter x Hunter and that's fact. What does number of volumes have to do with it selling less? Who fucking cares? Naruto sold more than Hunter x Hunter and that's an objective statement.

-Naruto sold more than HxH
-Refuses to give out the specific number I asked for, which I explained above what it represents.

lol.
No, that's because I don't have to. You're making the claim of HxH selling just as well as Naruto so you have the burden of proof in giving those statistics. I don't have to.
Mar 8, 2015 10:26 AM

Mar 2012
Actually you're making that claim that it sold more even with regards to the conditions I laid above, so you need to provide that specific figure.
End Zionazism
Mar 8, 2015 10:27 AM

Oct 2012
Also what the fuck number are you even looking for? In total number of sales Naruto has more than triple the number of sales that HxH has with 205m to HxH's 65m, also if you want to look at per volume sales SnK has a higher sales to volume ratio with 45m sales and 15 volumes.
Mar 8, 2015 10:27 AM

Jun 2014
DoctorCaim said:
No, that's because I don't have to. You're making the claim of HxH selling just as well as Naruto so you have the burden of proof in giving those statistics. I don't have to.

I think this is what he is referring to.
Mar 8, 2015 10:29 AM
Mar 8, 2015 10:30 AM

Jun 2014
Because it released twice as many volumes. In terms of sales per colume(the link I posted), they are more or less equalv
Mar 8, 2015 10:31 AM

Jan 2013
Four volumes of Naruto sold more than two volumes of Hunter x Hunter.

I'm still not seeing his point.

Jun 2014
DoctorCaim said:
Agafin said:

I think this is what he is referring to.
Four volumes of Naruto sold more than two volumes of Hunter x Hunter.

I'm still not seeing his point.
Agafin said:
Because it released twice as many volumes. In terms of sales per colume(the link I posted), they are more or less equalv

Mar 2012
Holy shit.

Mikasa said:

End Zionazism
Mar 8, 2015 10:33 AM

Jan 2014
Most likely not. It doesn't have the appeal to do so either way, and then there's the slow start coupled with the controversial aspects of the show.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Mar 8, 2015 10:35 AM

Oct 2012
Naruto has over 200 million sales to HxH's 65 million and 72 volumes to HxH's 32, I'm pretty sure Naruto has better sales on average per volume.
Mar 8, 2015 10:35 AM

Jan 2013
So that proves Hunter x Hunter is doing financially better than Naruto? lol.

Naruto still sold more than Hunter x Hunter.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 148 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Haine - Sep 23, 2014

915 by Thesk8er2000 »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Who is your Favourite character?

PushedCaraway - Mar 29

44 by PushedCaraway »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 126 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 22, 2014

780 by InkDruid »»
Apr 16, 12:40 PM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 59 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

FrostToaster - Dec 15, 2012

154 by red-tomato »»
Apr 16, 6:25 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 111 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 7, 2014

516 by DF_BR »»
Apr 15, 9:31 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.