Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (12) « First ... « 8 9 [10] 11 12 »
Jan 21, 5:51 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Nice start to Frieren starting with her original group and showing how time has no effect on her body and how fast she perceives it... ending with Fern of course, this is where things truly start
Jan 21, 8:26 AM
Jan 2024
Such a good point of view for the longevity that non-human creatures would realistically have
Jan 21, 8:27 AM
Jan 2024
Such a good point of view for the longevity that non-human creatures would realistically have
Jan 22, 9:56 PM
Nov 2021
Exceptional art style, and beautiful soundtrack.
Jan 23, 7:28 AM
Aug 2023
all the chapters have a feeling o empty that is filling over the minutes
Jan 23, 7:28 AM
Aug 2023
all the chapters have a feeling of empty that is filling over the minutes
Jan 26, 7:09 AM
Dec 2019
it was cool. i guess i can understand frieren's sadness when she lost her friend
Jan 26, 10:50 PM

Oct 2013
Very interesting premise, with a story starting where most of fantasy (and not only) anime actually end; high production quality, especially its audiovisual side... Kind of ruined by the main character. Moeblob as she can get, having depth of a typical battle shounen's sidekick character. Her character design (potato-like face with quite long ears, even for elves in anime in general) and behavior (living for hundreds of years, having various adventures, but acting more like a kid). About the latter, I would even accept it as an idea for Frieren, if not this whole "I want to learn more about humans" theme, executed in Frieren just doing the same stuff after leaving her old comrades, despite seeming moved by Himmel's death and all. Dunno, I will watch the second episode, but I was not impressed that much. Aside from audiovisual elements, this show feels hollow.
Jan 27, 2:55 AM
Apr 2023
Only One Word: Good
Jan 27, 10:46 AM
Feb 2021
Simply just a masterpiece
Jan 27, 2:03 PM

Aug 2020
I shouldn't have heard about this show before watching.
Jan 27, 11:08 PM
Jan 2021
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Jan 28, 7:55 AM
Sep 2023
an entire hero's journey story told within one episode, and with all the focus on what happens after, makes for a very interesting watch.
Jan 28, 9:17 AM
Aug 2019
anime santai dengan grafis yang bagus
Jan 29, 10:11 AM
Feb 2021
This might be the single best first episode of any piece of media I have ever seen
Jan 29, 11:37 AM

Mar 2023
I'm here because 1. I saw a video about this show in my YT Recommendations, courtesy of Karu. 2. I saw, as of 1/29/24, it is the Top 1 best ranked anime on MAL, scored 9+, stealing the thrown from FMAB.

For once, we have a super popular fantasy that's not an isekai, but even at Episode 1, I can tell there's potential here. Something very special. The series kicked off having already defeated a Demon King. And in the most calm and relaxing way possible, we see characters age or pass on. An unconventional but remarkable beginning. This seems like a very comfy yet melancholic show—not in a tragic way, but a sentimental way. I'm excited to see where it goes. As of Ep 1, I can say that my eyes felt pressure/heavy at times. While the writing is subtle, it was able to emotionally move me. Aesthetically, the anime looks gorgeous. It feels like a world I'm about to get very immersed in.
Jan 30, 6:32 AM
Jan 2024
cốt truyện độc lạ
Jan 30, 3:20 PM
Oct 2019
Touched my heart.
Jan 31, 10:40 AM
Jul 2023
Judging by the reviews and ratings, this anime stands out from the rest, so far the 1st series has interested me, although the fantasy setting could have already become boring
Feb 1, 9:09 PM
Jan 2024
Beautiful episode, life can be so fleeting, we often don't feel the passage of time, we have to cheerish the people around us that we love and that love us.
Feb 2, 12:42 PM
Feb 2020
Amazing episodes
Feb 2, 3:30 PM
Oct 2023
peak fictionnnnnnnn
Feb 2, 4:14 PM
Sep 2022
Reply to CQLLIST
I actually like the OP song but it just doesn’t fit Frieren, even though the series itself does have some intense moments but it's also more about traveling no? I expected the vibe to be similar to Mushoku Tensei’s OPs but it is what it is.. Anyways the past arc consists of members from the Hero Party and they returned to the Royal Capital after defeating the Demon King. I guess due to the perception of time, they all definitely got that feeling when they were reminiscing about their 10-year adventure being too short, despite the fact that they already have such cherishable memories until the day it lasts.. They part ways for some self-discovery. Man they really did the animation great, though the firework would’ve been cool if it had more of a close-up. Himmel’s passing is quite an emotional one though, Frieren realizes she didn't know him well enough and decides to explore human life further as she continues her magical quest.
@CQLLIST
I actually like the OP song but it just doesn’t fit Frieren, even though the series itself does have some intense moments but it's also more about traveling no? I expected the vibe to be similar to Mushoku Tensei’s OPs but it is what it is.
I would have thought of Mushishi rather than Mushoku Tensei when it comes to travel, but i guess that works too.
Feb 4, 6:26 PM
Dec 2020
It was okay, nothing special
Feb 6, 8:48 AM
Jan 2024
Excellent start to a show. I really underestimated this series heavily thinking 'what's so good about a manga revolving on the aftermath of the defeat of the big villain?'. How wrong I was.. it's really a testament to how creative and fresh manga/anime can be. Plus it's purely a classic fantasy setting, which I prefer more compared to isekai genre.
Feb 6, 11:20 PM
Dec 2022
This is a tale of adventures in the days gone by. A reminiscing of sorts and fulfilling the remaining adventurers' dying wishes.

Do have to say that Frieren reminded me a bit of Sylphie.
SenseiSempai-sanFeb 6, 11:40 PM
Feb 7, 9:50 PM

Sep 2018
A tear jerking first episode.
Sorry, I'm not creative or active enough here to have a proper signature. I am most active on Twitter.

Feb 10, 10:48 AM
Oct 2015
A long life for an elf is far different from a long life to a human, Frieren encapsulates this.
Feb 10, 8:18 PM

Jul 2023
It's time to catch up with Frieren.

To be honest, I'm not yet hooked. It seems boring. But since this is highly rated, I trust that this would only get better. I'll just have to be patient.

So much time has been covered here, which is a little strange. It's an adventure anime but it did not start from the very beginning. It started at the end of Frieren and company's 10-year adventure. Then skipped 50 years later to remeet her company to see meteor shower then skipped to Himmel's death, then another 20 years to see that the priest is still alive. He gave her a grimoire that can potentially grant people immortality. And then she meets a mage with so much potential. She refused to mentor her but she might change her mind the next episode or so.

The point of all this is to show that Frieren's lifespan is vast, and human life is just fleeting.
patkarununganFeb 13, 8:39 PM
Feb 11, 11:05 AM
Trickster

Jun 2011
Finally getting a chance to watch this. A good first episode, but it wasn't as compelling as I've been lead to believe it is. I found it strange that they skipped another 20 years after the hero's death, as I was under the assumption that death was the beginning of Frieren's journey to understanding people. Skipping ahead 20 years after that just seems... strange.

Overall, just OK so far.
Feb 11, 11:11 PM

Feb 2020
Interesting start for sure.
Feb 12, 7:06 PM
Jul 2023
Good story, like the painting style of backgrounds.
Feb 12, 10:43 PM
Apr 2022
i like Fren mommy milkers
Feb 13, 7:11 PM
Sep 2020
great first episode different from other fighting the demon lord type stories
Feb 16, 9:03 PM
May 2021
It was smth new for me, I quite liked it
Feb 17, 9:39 AM
Apr 2022
Even in 1st episode I got emotional
Feb 21, 6:04 AM
Mar 2023
The episode is amazing!! I felt like I was watching a movie. The music is incredible, the animation is incredible, the story is original!
28 episodes is great to have so much content but for Frieren it's almost nothing.
Feb 24, 12:57 AM
Dec 2023
Empieza algo aburrido.
Feb 24, 4:45 AM
Jan 2017
Good start, very emotiannal, comtemplative
Feb 24, 12:33 PM
Oct 2020
One of a kind anime.
Feb 25, 12:13 AM
Oct 2023
I think this anime is not the hero we wanted but the hero we needed
Feb 25, 1:41 PM
Jul 2018
Jesus, i expected the little girl to just fire a small blast. Instead she fires a fkn kamehameha. Pretty funny lol. The art/animation is so unique tho, its oldish/grainish (grain can be a bit tiring on the eyes tho, like that cuphead game) yet feels high quality. With that being said if you just watched Apo-diaries which is a ridiculously colorful show most stuff look grainy lol

The magic so absurd tho. Elements be damned if you can just fire massive lasers

Gud thing she's wearing a dress with how much they show her butt in this show tho lol. I cant get over her weird stripes-shirt tho, the rest is so nice lol
removed-userFeb 25, 3:34 PM
Feb 25, 7:38 PM

Jul 2021
This is one of the best first episodes i have ever seen. Its not often i cry on a first episode of show but i did with this one. The cast of characters who defeated the demon king are amazing and im very sad they wont be here for the entire show. Especially Himmel, though we know so little about him and his little amount of screen time he is my favourite character in the show so far. His personality and design suit him well.

Along with the rest as well, i love them all the priest and his personality. The Dwarf and his design. And well i like Frieren just as much as Himmel. The scene at Himmels funeral was quite sad and seeing Frieren cry like that had me crying over are boy Himmel aswell.

I liked the design of the world and the towns in this anime aswell, maybe its cause i like fantasy worlds in general. The statue made for them was nice. Since the Dwarf seems to live longer than humans i hope we see him a bit throughout the show.

Fern seems like an interesting girl, and she has some powerful magic. I Frieren will actually take her in. The animation is also very good in this show and the metor shower parts were beautiful. Himmels monologue well the metor showers were happening were nice.

The book the priest gave to Frieren with all the spells supposedly containing a resurrection makes me very happy. I feel that at the end of the show Himmel will be resurrected.

I hope we see the gang together again someday.

Feb 26, 11:06 AM
Jul 2020
Man merkt das Dilemma des MC das alle Leute rundherum sterben
Feb 27, 5:41 PM
Jul 2019
teardrops in 30 minutes lol
Mar 1, 11:25 AM
Nov 2023
Episode moved slow but picked up in the middle
Mar 3, 11:24 PM
Oct 2021
Masterpiece of an episode
Mar 4, 4:51 AM
Jul 2023
Toxic FMAB ends here
Mar 4, 8:23 AM

Mar 2016
This week, I've finally decided to watch this so-called most awaited and hyped anime of the season! Or so they say...
It's been a looooooooong while since I watched the first season of a new series I'm unfamiliar with, but the time has come for me to resurrect my watching spree, starting from Sousou no Frieren

The OP is a blast! That upbeat tempo and instrumentals were on point but what tied up everything together was the voice of the passionate singer which mildly surprised me when I found out it was Yoasobi. Yeah, It's no wonder the OP song slaps this hard, I love it and the visuals were striking too. Although I also must agree with the others in this forum for how bizarrely different the theme of the OP is compared to what this show is about in itself. Nevertheless, I do not dislike it one bit. EDIT: HELL NAHHH. The OP fits 100% with the theme of the show people! THe lyrics is exactly describing Frieren's thoughts, feelings and motivation. If anything, this OP with its lyrics is perfect for this show!
The ED, in contrast, was much more fitting for the show and it's also more relaxed. However, damn those visuals are some of the finest from an ED that I've seen this year (March 2024)

Something tells me the OST sound composition will be of far greater quality than the usual OST used on most generic fantasy anime.

The first ep started wildly different from the usual fantasy anime, we started after the party of the heroes had just made their way back after defeating the demon lord before they were welcomed back by a kingdom after which the entire city celebrated in joy. Here we are met with our MC Frieren... The millennia-old elf loli-hag that are in a team with Himmel the hero Heiter the priest and Eisen the warrior. After cementing their legacy as the 4 heroes who defeated the demon lord, many would think they'd live their life in peace and glory, however to the millennia-old Frieren. 10 years was but a blink of an eye.

Here we see what she feels regarding her comrades. After reuniting with them 50 FUCKING YEARS LATER (pardon my Elvish language) she accompanies them all to see the once in 5 decades meteor shower. And thus the Hero, Himmel is laid to rest. A life of great adventure and wonderous memories, dying under the blazing meteor shower around his most cherished comrades, but that isn't what Frieren felt at all. Her sense of time and lack of 'living in the present' is so extreme, that she has little to no recollection of the man she had spent time adventuring for 10 years with. Her pained tears of regret can be felt in full. Alas, the time has passed to get to know Himmel better.

At the end of the ep it seems that Heiter is coming to the end of his life as well, this is 26 years after Himmel's death, I can't believe the drunkard lived that much longer than Himmel did despite being human all the same. His request to decipher a grimoire to be 'immortal' was suspiciously made so close with his request to take Fern in as her student. Well... we'll see how it goes...First ep made made it rather clear that this show is a journey wherein Frieren goes on an adventure with a new resolve to get to know the people around her better because life is a fleeting thing for humankind.

MADHOUSE is one of my favourite studios, and seeing this nice of an art style is quite a joy, I might not have watched this as the latest ep, but the show is still airing, so if anything. I AM on the hype train. Just in the last carriage :D
ShadowkillZMar 6, 9:42 PM
Mar 5, 5:36 PM
Sep 2017
peaceful and cool
Pages (12) « First ... « 8 9 [10] 11 12 »

More topics from this board

» Frieren-Anime to Manga

Fullmetaldak - Jun 4

15 by MarcWatcher76 »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » Madhouse producer, animation designer, and director for Frieren confirmed to be attending Anime Expo 2024

Zura_Janai123 - Yesterday

7 by Anime_Skaddiel »»
2 hours ago

» The person who helped stop a knife attack on the Taichung Metro in Taiwan said he helped because "Himmel would have done the same". ( 1 2 )

StevieRara - Jun 4

93 by hanaenvy »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » is fanservice the reason why this is highly rated? ( 1 2 )

FruitPunchBaka - Yesterday

64 by Naroomaki »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Sousou no Frieren Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 2

274 by MasterK »»
3 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.