Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (124) « First ... « 74 75 [76] 77 78 » ... Last »
Jul 17, 2015 9:13 AM

Apr 2011
For once, I actually agree with JD. HxH is one of the easiest battle shonen to get into, considering how it cuts the bullshit and gets to the meaty parts immediately.
Jul 17, 2015 9:19 AM

Jun 2013
Still I think one should go for the 99 first or manga, then go for the 2011. Mito and Kite not being in the beginning. Madhouse screwed up that part.
Jul 17, 2015 9:22 AM
Oct 2013
tsudecimo said:
Well the beginning of Bleach is quite dull, up until soul society is introduced.

I think the only battle anime that is good from the start or at least easy to get into from the beginning is Naruto, Nanatsu no Taizai, HxH and Soul eater.

Naruto is pretty slow if you´re not into the humor, I didn´t give a fuck about the series and was more annoyed than entertained about the bratty kid at first sight.
Kakashi was the first good thing to happen. But it drops it´s bombs fairly early and switches between slow and fast constantly.

One Piece is more like a gradual slow increase in quality untill it hiits the Grand line where the pacing problems start where it starts going from hell yeah too, meh.
Jul 17, 2015 9:36 AM

Dec 2012
There are literally only three episodes of comedy, that are not serious, where it introduces the main characters. Episode 4 is the bell test, and they go for the first serious mission on episode 6. So I don't know what you are talking about.
Jul 17, 2015 9:38 AM

Dec 2012
I pity those who don't appreciate the greatness of the Hunter exams, most creative arc. I think I like it better than the Chunnin exams.
Jul 17, 2015 9:41 AM

Jan 2014
JD2411 said:
RedRoseFring said:
HxH and KHR are especially harder to get into. Both have some of the slowest starts I've seen in anime.
I agree with KHR, but HxH? Really? It's the only battle shounen that skips the introduction arcs and goes straight into a main arc in the second episode (1st in 2011). If anything it's the easiest to get into since it doesn't have the MC killing fodder characters for 10+ episode before a serious arc starts.

I guess I should have clarified I meant the 1999 version. It will be easier to get into a remake when they cut things down.
The Hunter exam is also one of the less interesting arcs, and followed by the least liked arc. Then again, I guess that doesn't say much considering it's only really 2 arcs that get a lot of praise and the second is polarizing.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Jul 17, 2015 10:26 AM

Jun 2012
RedRoseFring said:

HxH and KHR are especially harder to get into. Both have some of the slowest starts I've seen in anime.

nah, Hunter Exam arc is one of the best ways to kick off a Shonen, it pretty much shows you from the get-go what HxH is going to be all about compared to other shonen and it's incredibly easy to marathon at that.

Daily Life is in it's own tier of bad, I've never seen an arc so hated even by it's own fandom
Jul 17, 2015 10:46 AM

Sep 2013
a-rootin-tootin said:
I've tried watching both Bleach and Naruto and gradually lost interest in both of them. I've considered giving Bleach another shot. The only one I haven't attempted to watch yet is One Piece. The only problem I have with these sorts of shows is their length and their potential for too many off-shoots and being dragged out longer than the story necessitates simply because they are hugely popular.

Still, One Piece looks like a lot of fun and I'm interested in giving it a go. And the entire concept behind Bleach keeps me intrigued enough that I want to go back and try watching it again. Naruto is meh, in my opinion.

Being longer makes them better, they don't have to rush everything in 12 or 24 episodes.
Characterization is important.
Fillers can be skipped.
Naruto was good until kishi sold out for chapter 700.
One piece has been mediocre for the past 4 years.
Listening to to the bleach haters will diminish the enjoyment too.
They don't even have a good reason to hate it either, they're just butthurt that bleach >> their sht favorites that don't even sell XD

Jul 17, 2015 10:48 AM

Jan 2014
Kaimon said:
RedRoseFring said:

nah, Hunter Exam arc is one of the best ways to kick off a Shonen, it pretty much shows you from the get-go what HxH is going to be all about compared to other shonen and it's incredibly easy to marathon at that.

Daily Life is in it's own tier of bad, I've never seen an arc so hated even by it's own fandom

Yeah, the KHR one is the worst, but I didn't find the Hunter Exam in the 99 version to be too much better.
It was basically half the series (30 episodes). I don't think it did a very good job showing what it would be all about when many people claim that the tone and purpose shifts throughout the series. I'd say Naruto (mostly the first series by itself though), One Piece, Soul Eater, Toriko and even Bleach are the series that really include all the elements from their introductions all the way through.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Jul 17, 2015 10:50 AM
Mar 2013
Kaimon said:
The daily life arc is fine and quite funny at times. It's only hated because it doesn't have muh action.
Jul 17, 2015 10:53 AM

Apr 2011
What is this daily life arc that you speak of?
Jul 17, 2015 10:56 AM
Mar 2013
yhunata said:
The first 20 episodes of Katekyo Hitman Reborn
Jul 17, 2015 10:58 AM

Apr 2011
JD2411 said:
yhunata said:

Ah, that.. yeah, that wasn't very good. Outright boring at times. From what I heard, it was supposed to be like that, but was turned into a battle shonen later on.
Jul 17, 2015 11:22 AM

Dec 2012
I skipped straight to the Varia arc. No regrets.
Jul 17, 2015 11:23 AM

Apr 2011
tsudecimo said:

Shame that you skipped the Mukuro arc. I thought that was one of the better arcs of the series.
Jul 17, 2015 11:28 AM

Dec 2012
yhunata said:
tsudecimo said:

Shame that you skipped the Mukuro arc. I thought that was one of the better arcs of the series.

I think he is boring, so I'm glad I did. Varia is the best arc for me.
Jul 17, 2015 12:28 PM

Oct 2013
yhunata said:
JD2411 said:

Ah, that.. yeah, that wasn't very good. Outright boring at times. From what I heard, it was supposed to be like that, but was turned into a battle shonen later on.

Oh really? I drop it around episode 5? So it gets better after 20 episodes? I might give this series another shot, but I also heard that the ending sucks so its probably not worth it.
Jul 17, 2015 12:31 PM

Apr 2011
keragamming said:
yhunata said:

Oh really? I drop it around episode 5? So it gets better after 20 episodes? I might give this series another shot, but I also heard that the ending sucks so its probably not worth it.

It gets better after the Mukuro arc starts and the Varia arc, which comes afterwards, is easily the best arc of the series. Then comes the Future arc, during which there are a few filler arcs, which is the longest arc in the entire series (over half the manga) and is pretty stupid at times. That's where the anime ends. I'd say give it a shot, hell even skip straight to the Mukuro arc. You're not gonna miss anything by doing so.
Jul 17, 2015 12:38 PM

Oct 2013
yhunata said:
keragamming said:

It gets better after the Mukuro arc starts and the Varia arc, which comes afterwards, is easily the best arc of the series. Then comes the Future arc, during which there are a few filler arcs, which is the longest arc in the entire series (over half the manga) and is pretty stupid at times. That's where the anime ends. I'd say give it a shot, hell even skip straight to the Mukuro arc. You're not gonna miss anything by doing so.

What episode does the Mukuro arc start at?
Jul 17, 2015 12:40 PM

Jun 2014
This is the first time I see people actively recommending to skip canon material, KHR must be one bad of a series.

Kaimon said:
RedRoseFring said:

Agreed. I was hooked from the start.

Talking about beginnings, I wonder why Toei modified that of One Piece, the anime's first episode is good but the manga's first chapter is so much better better.
Jul 17, 2015 12:40 PM

Apr 2011
keragamming said:

Not sure of the exact episode, but it's around episode 20, I think. Wait, I'll check the wikia.

EDIT: It seems to be exactly episode 20.
http://reborn.wikia.com/wiki/Kokuyo_Arc
yhunataJul 17, 2015 12:46 PM
Jul 17, 2015 1:02 PM

Jan 2014
Hmmm. I wonder if I should bother taking the time to write a full review for any series.

Probably start off a One Piece review like so:
"'Kaizoku Ou, orewa naru!"

There is no better way to build up expectations of an amazing journey, or an engaging story driven narrative and good sense of mystery than such a bold statement. Those expectations are definitely met with great gusto. For anyone who desires to understand why this series is so successful in Japan, I'm glad to say I gave the series a shot, and it is easy to see the appeal."
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Jul 17, 2015 1:02 PM

Dec 2012
Agafin said:
This is the first time I see people actively recommending to skip canon material, KHR must be one bad of a series.

Your logic is just amazing sometimes.

keragamming said:
but I also heard that the ending sucks so its probably not worth it.

Don't get why people care so much about the ending quality of anything. It was not adapted in the anime anyway. The ending of the anime is pretty good, albeit missing one thing that I would have loved to see.
Jul 17, 2015 1:05 PM

Oct 2012
keragamming said:
yhunata said:

It has one good arc with the rest being either shit or mediocre, plus a terrible ending to boot (at least the manga one).

Don't bother.
Jul 17, 2015 1:10 PM

Jan 2014
Actually, I don't think KHR is as bad as people say. The intro arc is certainly the worst I've seen in anime, but the following arcs were pretty decent, and Byakuran was a pretty interesting villain.

He's not as good as the first arc Aizen for instance, but his motivation is better than someone like Obito's and he's a generally less painful character to watch.
I'd not recommend it to watch though.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Jul 17, 2015 1:11 PM

Apr 2011
RedRoseFring said:
Actually, I don't think KHR is as bad as people say. The intro arc is certainly the worst I've seen in anime, but the following arcs were pretty decent, and Byakuran was a pretty interesting villain.

He's not as good as the first arc Aizen for instance, but his motivation is better than someone like Obito's and he's a generally less painful character to watch.

I wish they'd adapted the Simon arc.... I really liked that arc. It was my favorite after the Varia arc.
Jul 17, 2015 1:11 PM

Oct 2012
RedRoseFring said:

Saying he's better than Obito doesn't exactly make us think he's good.
Jul 17, 2015 1:17 PM

Jan 2014
DrizzyXP said:
RedRoseFring said:

Saying he's better than Obito doesn't exactly make us think he's good.

Good point.
I guess I should clarify that he's one of those villains that is pretty unpredictable and who's motives are mysterious.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Jul 17, 2015 1:17 PM

Jun 2014
tsudecimo said:
Agafin said:
I'm probably just traumatised since it's usually someone like Mikasa who would recommend to skip something which is not filler. Is it episodic like Conan or something?
Jul 17, 2015 1:19 PM

Apr 2011
Agafin said:
tsudecimo said:
I'm probably just traumatised since it's usually someone like Mikasa who would recommend to skip something which is not filler. Is it episodic like Conan or something?

Painfully so.
Jul 17, 2015 1:22 PM

Dec 2012
Agafin said:
tsudecimo said:

It's filler canon. It was supposed to be a gag manga, but it wasn't popular, so it changed to a battle manga (if you watch Bakuman they talk about this iirc)

Aside from the introduction of some of the main characters, you won't miss much if you skip.
Jul 17, 2015 1:23 PM

Jun 2014
Why do people dislike Obito again? I don't see how Aizen is better than him in anything except maybe charisma.
Jul 17, 2015 1:24 PM

Jan 2014
Hmmm. It's interesting to see that KHR generally has better reviews than Naruto.

For Naruto, you've got reviews like this:

Which is ironic considering similar reviews given by some of its fans for other shounen. Reciprocal blind bias maybe?
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Jul 17, 2015 1:28 PM

Jun 2014
tsudecimo said:
Agafin said:

It's filler canon. It was supposed to be a gag manga, but it wasn't popular, so it changed to a battle manga (if you watch Bakuman they talk about this iirc)

Aside from the introduction of some of the main characters, you won't miss much if you skip.

I see. I may check it some day,... but the artstyle is very bishounen.

"It was supposed to be a gag manga, but it wasn't popular, so it changed to a battle manga"

Lol, if you replace "wasn't popular" with "was too popular" you basically get Dragon Ball.
Jul 17, 2015 1:29 PM

Oct 2012
I cringe every time I see "one dimensional".

People really do not know how to use the expression, do they?
Jul 17, 2015 1:31 PM

Sep 2011
Agafin said:
Why do people dislike Obito again? I don't see how Aizen is better than him in anything except maybe charisma.

Honestly, I always thought the Aizen reveal was handled a lot better than Obito's. I'm probably in the minority here but I always had my suspicions that he had lived. Especially since we didn't know what happened to the girl in Kakashi's team; that is how she died before the reveal. The only other person I suspected was Itachi's best friend.

For some reason when I first watched Bleach I never suspected Aizen was alive and orchestrating everything. I guess I wasn't paying too much attention when I watched it years ago but the revealed surprised me. Also, I like Aizen as a character much more than Obito. Despite Obito being better written.
Jul 17, 2015 1:31 PM

Dec 2012
Agafin said:

I see. I may check it some day,... but the artstyle is very bishounen.

One of the reasons why it's popular, it has a huge female fanbase. I personally love the art, it's very aesthetically pleasing.

"It was supposed to be a gag manga, but it wasn't popular, so it changed to a battle manga"

Lol, if you replace "wasn't popular" with "was too popular" you basically get Dragon Ball.

.-.?

Dragonball was never a gag manga. It had battles and action from early on. The big difference is that it changed from mainly adventure to battle.
Jul 17, 2015 1:32 PM

Jan 2014
DrizzyXP said:
I cringe every time I see "one dimensional".

People really do not know how to use the expression, do they?

It's not much better than people who use "two-dimensional" as if that sets them apart.

Agafin said:

Probably the whole

Aizen despite his pathetic end didn't enter that realm of insufferability. His end was also technically less pathetic as there was no talk-no-jutsu involved.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Jul 17, 2015 1:33 PM

Sep 2011
tsudecimo said:

Dragonball was never a gag manga. It had battles and action from early on. The big difference is that it changed from mainly adventure to battle.

Eh, early Dragon Ball pre-tournaments was pretty much a gag manga even if it was issued under Action/Adventure Shonen. It played out a lot like Dr. Slump.
Jul 17, 2015 1:34 PM
Jun 2015
Agafin said:

He started a war where thousands died because of a girl (who had a childhood crush on), just silly

The moment the mask came off the interesting and mencaing Tobi was replaced with a lame whiner
Jul 17, 2015 1:35 PM

Jan 2014
Fullmetal89 said:
Agafin said:

Honestly, I always thought the Aizen reveal was handled a lot better than Obito's. I'm probably in the minority here but I always had my suspicions that he had lived. Especially since we didn't know what happened to the girl in Kakashi's team; that is how she died before the reveal. The only other person I suspected was Itachi's best friend.

For some reason when I first watched Bleach I never suspected Aizen was alive and orchestrating everything. I guess I wasn't paying too much attention when I watched it years ago but the revealed surprised me. Also, I like Aizen as a character much more than Obito. Despite Obito being better written.

Actually, that would put you in the majority.
Aizen's reveal was genuinely surprising because:

I didn't mind the Obito reveal that much, but the issue most people seem to take beyond it being predictable is his motivations.
RedRoseFringJul 17, 2015 1:38 PM
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Jul 17, 2015 1:37 PM

Jan 2014
8animet said:
Agafin said:

He started a war where thousands died because of a girl (who had a childhood crush on), just silly

The moment the mask came off the interesting and mencaing Tobi was replaced with a lame whiner

You phrased it in a pretty similar way to how I said it (check the spoiler):

"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Jul 17, 2015 1:37 PM

Oct 2012
RedRoseFring said:
It's not much better than people who use "two-dimensional" as if that sets them apart.

"Two-dimensional" at least can be correct when you talk about relevant characters inside one franchise. You can at least make the argument that they are two-dimensional, even if they aren't.

Not with "one-dimensional". If you know the least bit about a character's motivation, , objective, ideals backstory, or anything really, then he's no longer one-dimensional. And Naruto provides backstories and ideals and such in handfuls.
Jul 17, 2015 1:38 PM

Sep 2011
RedRoseFring said:

Aizen's reveal was genuinely surprising because:

I didn't mind the Obito reveal that much, but the issue most people seem to take beyond it being predictable is his motivations.

True, his motivation made sense but it was basically another vengeful Uchiha. Which had already been done with Sasuke and Madara. I also feel like Naruto talking him out of destroying the world was kinda meh. It didn't really matter since everything was quickly swept aside when Kaguya came out of nowhere so it didn't bother me that much.
Jul 17, 2015 1:39 PM

Oct 2013
yhunata said:
keragamming said:

Not sure of the exact episode, but it's around episode 20, I think. Wait, I'll check the wikia.

EDIT: It seems to be exactly episode 20.
http://reborn.wikia.com/wiki/Kokuyo_Arc

Thanks I'll think about it.
Jul 17, 2015 1:39 PM

Jun 2014
tsudecimo said:
Yeah but before the first tournament, it pretty much was as fullmetal said.
Jul 17, 2015 1:41 PM

Apr 2014
Agafin said:

I had no problem with his motives, big shit that happen because something personal is a normal thing.
What's made him disgusting is that after going that far, he just stopped halfways because the protagonist convince him with a small talk.
He should really learn from Bellamy how to became the "I pick the wrong path" type of villain.
Even if he know he's wrong and he regret what he did, at least he finished what he start.
Jul 17, 2015 1:42 PM

Jan 2014
DrizzyXP said:

"Two-dimensional" at least can be correct when you talk about relevant characters inside one franchise. You can at least make the argument that they are two-dimensional, even if they aren't.

Not with "one-dimensional". If you know the least bit about a character's motivation, , objective, ideals backstory, or anything really, then he's no longer one-dimensional. And Naruto provides backstories and ideals and such in handfuls.

Well, it's a step up, but not by much.

Such reviews also somehow inspire other similar ones. Consider this:

Which uses very similar language, terms and even similar ratings. There's something pretty ironic about it when you consider the reviewers :P
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Jul 17, 2015 1:44 PM

Dec 2012
DrizzyXP said:

Not with "one-dimensional". If you know the least bit about a character's motivation, , objective, ideals backstory, or anything really, then he's no longer one-dimensional.

Holy shit, someone that doesn't abuse the term. Surprising.

I've thought a bit about Gilgimash from Fate series, and I really think he is one of the few major supporting character that fit the term. Like no matter how hard I thought about him, I litearlly could not come up with one thing about him that does not revolve around his arrogance. His motivations, dialogue, objectives, reasons, everything comes down to his arrogance and nothing more.
Jul 17, 2015 1:47 PM
Jun 2015
RedRoseFring said:
8animet said:

You phrased it in a pretty similar way to how I said it (check the spoiler):

Didn't read that but you are definitely right
Obito should have stayed dead as far as I'm concerned (or at least not be the Big Bad)
Pages (124) « First ... « 74 75 [76] 77 78 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Would anime be better if they started to use more adult casts?

Thy-Veseveia - Jun 5

39 by JaniSIr »»
5 minutes ago

» Favorite word

JoeChip - Yesterday

35 by Shirayukin »»
5 minutes ago

» What cartoon did you come to learn was actually anime

JaniSIr - Yesterday

34 by LoveYourSmile »»
6 minutes ago

» Anime peaked in 1998

Iron_Leopard - Yesterday

44 by ForgotEyeWasHere »»
7 minutes ago

» Best anime of 2024 so far?

Fukoku - Yesterday

40 by perseii »»
10 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.