Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (20) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 10 » ... Last »
Jul 8, 2012 3:40 AM

Feb 2012
MorningGlory said:
MidnightPride said:

1 Huge thing though is I wouldn't mind grinding for hours if I had VR but, doing it on a mmo can make it feel really boring :S

And thats why we need full body VR!!
MMRpg is not all about grinding. Its also about making new friend and ChitChatting.. ^.^
Well , this is just opinion. Some player focus really hard on just lvling just like the green king from AW. While I seen some people remain on level 1 just to chitchat and make friend just like Kawahara Reki lol
( His avatar always show level 1 only )

Thats the thing is that I tend to be a solo player and, when I am playing it's not like theres a real way to meet people so unless someone says something to me I tend not to say much. :P
Jul 8, 2012 3:42 AM

Mar 2011
Nice 1st ep and I can't stop listening the ED.
Jul 8, 2012 3:55 AM

Jun 2010
First of all, WTF?! 18 pages for the first episode topic discussion after a day? That is like a record? :o

As a big fan of MMO, I say this is a cool Anime. This is nowhere near Accel World. Though I love Hime, I hate Haruyuki. The character here in SAO seems to have a lot of emotional problems. That's kinda disappointing.

I couldn't care less what happened in the novel but as an Anime fan who saw SAO for the first time. I say it's ok. Quite disappointed in the first half but the second half made me realize why is it the most anticipated show this season.
Jul 8, 2012 4:01 AM

May 2010
Pretty nice start and I like it but my concern is that why is the main hero had a homo like relationship I hope they get rid of that as soon as possible !!
Jul 8, 2012 4:05 AM

Dec 2009
Oh for the discussion earlier about whether this will be chronological, the next episode will be called "Beater" you guys should know what that implies.

NettoAzureJul 8, 2012 4:10 AM
Jul 8, 2012 4:17 AM

Jun 2012
OMG I CANT WAIT FOR THE NEXT EPISODE this is way better than Accel World (personal opinion tho but I'm still gonna continue watching Accel World). Come to think of it the story reminds me of .hack//signs but instead of one person not loggin out its 10,000 people. *-* I cant sit still now BRING ME THE NEXT EPISODE!!
Jul 8, 2012 4:17 AM

Oct 2011
MidnightPride said:
MorningGlory said:
MidnightPride said:

1 Huge thing though is I wouldn't mind grinding for hours if I had VR but, doing it on a mmo can make it feel really boring :S

MMRpg is not all about grinding. Its also about making new friend and ChitChatting.. ^.^
Well , this is just opinion. Some player focus really hard on just lvling just like the green king from AW. While I seen some people remain on level 1 just to chitchat and make friend just like Kawahara Reki lol

Thats the thing is that I tend to be a solo player and, when I am playing it's not like theres a real way to meet people so unless someone says something to me I tend not to say much. :P

It's exactly like MidnightPride says.
For me mmorpgs are all about grinding. And raids. And grinding. All this while being alone or with a close friend. It's not a place for me to socialize, and I usually don't because I don't wanna waste time talking to others.

@Netto
Jul 8, 2012 4:21 AM

Jul 2011
MyAmy said:
Pretty nice start and I like it but my concern is that why is the main hero had a homo like relationship I hope they get rid of that as soon as possible !!

this has already been cleared on the last pages, i will repeat what i said:

their just taking the piss out of each others real looks like buddies, like notsureifsrs said kirito is girly looking while klein looks old, in the LN it describes it this way although it may not come across the same way in the anime

its a pretty emotional moment for kirito and klein, they knew each other for only a little while but they became friends easily, if you want slightly more detail open spoiler

Netto_Azure said:
Oh for the discussion earlier about whether this will be chronological, the next episode will be called "Beater" you guys should know what that implies.

Jul 8, 2012 4:35 AM
Jun 2008
I play online game as well. TBh, I spend 80% time chitchating because grinding is a bit boring.
Well, no point playing online game if you don't have conversation with people. Might as well, play non-online single player game....
Jul 8, 2012 4:36 AM

Jun 2011
lolwtfbbq. 18 pages and ranked #31 already? o.o

I personally was expecting more, only being introduced to the series via the ecstatic outcry by the fans of the light novel, but i still thoroughly enjoyed it. I know this is based on the light novel, but if they could've just fleshed out Kayaba's reason to effectively indirectly murder 10000 people a bit (a lot) more, it could've been better. "I just wanted to admire my work" or whatever he said is an invalid reason. That aside, I've always been a major fan of virtual reality shows, and based on the already huge fanbase that this has, the light novel must be really something. So, fans of the SAO light novel, I'll be in your care for now. :)

4.2/5

I'm really hoping for a three-cour or more airtime for this.
Jul 8, 2012 4:37 AM

Nov 2007
Wow, the anime is just how I imagined it would be... being a light novel reader myself. Hopefully it keeps its quality throughout the whole season.

8.72 score... ranked 31st already xD
The News Club: Quality News/Discussion (anime, CDs, manga, novels, games, seiyuu), & sales data (daily, weekly, mid-year, yearly).
Jul 8, 2012 4:41 AM

Feb 2012
CrimsonLight said:
MidnightPride said:
MorningGlory said:
MidnightPride said:

It's exactly like MidnightPride says.
For me mmorpgs are all about grinding. And raids. And grinding. All this while being alone or with a close friend. It's not a place for me to socialize, and I usually don't because I don't wanna waste time talking to others.

@Netto

It's in a way the same with me I do enjoy games better when I'm playing with friends but, most friends don't play mmos and, it feels strange walking up to someone in a mmo and, be like "Hey you wanna be friends?" lol
Jul 8, 2012 4:42 AM

Jul 2009
This was so awesome!
I loved everything about it!
It's probably going to be one of my season favorites :D
Jul 8, 2012 5:05 AM

Jul 2011
DAFUQ!!! 31st!? thats waay tooo damn fast, this anime hasn't even gotten to the good parts of the LN yet let alone the best and its already that high!? at this rate it might even be able to surpass its own LN novel rank 10th

onedaysnotice said:
lolwtfbbq. 18 pages and ranked #31 already? o.o

I personally was expecting more, only being introduced to the series via the ecstatic outcry by the fans of the light novel, but i still thoroughly enjoyed it. I know this is based on the light novel, but if they could've just fleshed out Kayaba's reason to effectively indirectly murder 10000 people a bit (a lot) more, it could've been better. "I just wanted to admire my work" or whatever he said is an invalid reason. That aside, I've always been a major fan of virtual reality shows, and based on the already huge fanbase that this has, the light novel must be really something. So, fans of the SAO light novel, I'll be in your care for now. :)

4.2/5

I'm really hoping for a three-cour or more airtime for this.

its only 2 cour 26 episodes but there might be more seasons after this as it only seems to cover the first 2 Volumes of the LN

if your a fan of virtual reality you will most likely enjoy this, i recommend you tread carefully in this forum as it is loaded with spoilers and you will enjoy the ride more if you dont know what happens im speaking from experience, but i think it will be more enjoyable learning the story from the anime than the LN so im pretty jealous because i already know what happens and will enjoy it less :(
Jul 8, 2012 5:10 AM

Apr 2011
waaay exceeded my expectations. very nice. should be better than accel world
Jul 8, 2012 5:19 AM

Jul 2011
im starting to feel sorry for accel world now, there is a clear difference in terms of quality, story and even rank for both animes and it seems like SAO is gonna completely overshadow Accel world, which is a shame because although i like SAO better Accel world is still a great anime

EDIT: no wait SAO has already overshadowed AW in my book, hell there even airing at similar times, i can imagine people watching SAO instead of AW if it airs at the same time
Jul 8, 2012 5:25 AM

Apr 2010
any idea how many episodes this anime will have?
Jul 8, 2012 5:30 AM

Apr 2010
It's .hack all over again. I'm fucking pumped.
Jul 8, 2012 5:30 AM

Sep 2008
Wildsleven said:

I heard they'll make 2 seasons according to the 2nd PV, which means this anime will be somewhere between 24 to 25 episodes.

And also, for sure, I expect someone will make another thread entitled "Is Sword Art Online overrated? " or something like that.
ShoutaAzumaJul 8, 2012 5:33 AM
Jul 8, 2012 5:36 AM
May 2009
i watched it 1 out of 18 new anime released this week.,
i bet its going to be a great anime especially in a MMORPG gamer like me XD player of aion online at the same time a anime/manga otaku XD

waiting for episode 2. . .
Jul 8, 2012 5:52 AM

Jul 2011
ShoutaAzuma said:
Wildsleven said:

I heard they'll make 2 seasons according to the 2nd PV, which means this anime will be somewhere between 24 to 25 episodes.

And also, for sure, I expect someone will make another thread entitled "Is Sword Art Online overrated? " or something like that.

yea thats for sure, its also certain a bunch a trolls will turn up and start taking the piss or haters who dont like what they see
Jul 8, 2012 5:54 AM

Jan 2010
Great first episode. A bit creepy with the scene after the credits. "2000 people died within the first month", creepy as hell.
Jul 8, 2012 6:13 AM

Apr 2012
One word... AWESOME
Jul 8, 2012 6:26 AM

Jan 2010
Can't wait to see the rest of the anime, it's looking to be a great anime to watch. :D

Jul 8, 2012 6:29 AM

Dec 2011
Naise episode!! The animations were great and sounds/BGMs are placed at the right timing at the right mood! Everything was near perfect, the plot was great, much anticipation and well-planned introduction for a new kind of life! Pinch of comedy to spice up the tenseness(Is this even a word? LOL)

I hope they introduced more characters though...

9/10 :)
uhh...
Jul 8, 2012 6:35 AM

Jul 2011
^ if you look carefully at the part after kayaba introduces the rules, they show some of the characters that are going to be introduced, nice bit of foreshadowing there :)
Jul 8, 2012 6:58 AM

Feb 2010
That is one Awesome Episode! Can't wait

9/10
Jul 8, 2012 7:00 AM

Jul 2007
A decent start. So far the plot seems pretty solid. The animation isnt bad either.
I have a soft spot for mmorpg type stories like this, 1/2 Prince, and Id - Fusion Fantasy which is sort of like a mmorpg.
TrieJul 8, 2012 7:13 AM
Jul 8, 2012 7:01 AM

Dec 2011
¬ Expectations Fulfilled ☑
Imo None of the releases this summer have left a high and long lasting first impression so far, but this one finally did.

¬ Non generic Main character personality, Beautiful Art, Great music and Griping story line all achieved in the first episode. If it continues with this quality, it does have the potential to be the best anime this summer.

I certainly hope its more than 24 episodes. ( っ '๐')つ Need more im hooked~
Jul 8, 2012 7:11 AM

Sep 2011
wow, already 19 pages... Been waiting for this for a long time
"Justice Never Dies!" - Kenji Endou, 20th century Boys
Jul 8, 2012 7:18 AM

May 2012
I can smell the "It is overrated"
it's close

no shit, the first episode was indeed a decent 4/5, but it will become crap anyway, I myself think it will get overrated already
the cast will be horrible
Sore Wa Himitsu Desu
Jul 8, 2012 7:19 AM

Apr 2012
great opening song (LiSa -Crossing Field) with great quality art
Jul 8, 2012 7:24 AM

Feb 2009
Looks awesome!! :D
Jul 8, 2012 7:30 AM

Mar 2011
TheWitcher said:
it's close

no shit, the first episode was indeed a decent 4/5, but it will become crap anyway, I myself think it will get overrated already

How could you know that its going to be crap and said the cast will be horrible....
Just sit and watch, then judge it later

The score will automatically adjust after some time, and then you could say it's overrated or not
Jul 8, 2012 7:35 AM

Jul 2011
the last time i saw this many pages was in the guilty crown thread but that was mostly hate <_<
Jul 8, 2012 7:40 AM

Jul 2011
Vizi_Reality said:
TheWitcher said:
it's close

How could you know that its going to be crap and said the cast will be horrible....

The score will automatically adjust after some time, and then you could say it's overrated or not

considering the fact that it made it to such a high ranking even though it is only the beginning and hasn't even touched the good parts in the LN is plausible, to be honest from what i read in the LN i predict the rank will fluctuate but it will remain under 200
Jul 8, 2012 7:41 AM

Mar 2012
Who else is reminded of Greed Island? :P
End Zionazism
Jul 8, 2012 7:43 AM

Aug 2009
I wonder if there will be an event where pvp would be enabled :D

Jul 8, 2012 7:49 AM

Mar 2011
I can smell the haters/troll coming

Hahahaha

But seriously it's gonna be a decent(epic if u want) anime .. it's impossible to troll us w/ the story(like the famous GC) since they're following the LN(w/c is great)

Jul 8, 2012 7:56 AM

Oct 2011
The first 4 - 5 pages are always the legitimate posters and fans, meanwhile, the last 15 or so pages have been sprinkled with trolls and haters.

I, myself, really liked the first episode. It did well answering any questions that the viewer might have had, showed off the show's more lavish production values, and gave us all a feel for the mood of the show. I love how they actually balance the number of male characters with the number of female characters - that's already a sign that the show will have more class than half of the anime out currently.

After watching the first episode, I have to say I like the characters. The pink'haired friend looks nice enough, and has a likable personality. Kirito himself seems to be hiding something, but he doesn't want to let that stop him from succeeding.

The idea of being trapped with no way out is a horrifying one indeed, especially with the fact that your family could accidentaly kill you if they tried to pull off the NervGear..

I had shivers down my spine when it showed: "2000 players died within the first month. Nobody had past level 1."

For an anime with such a light color-palette, it has some dark undertones. As long as the anime doesn't stray from the light novel, I'll watch it instead. If I hear the light novel was better, I may read it.
"Evidently... There's no such thing as 'meaning' in this world. But that in itself is wonderful... isn't it? Since if there isn't a set meaning, then you can just find one on your own."
- Filicia Heideman, So Ra No Wo To
Jul 8, 2012 8:06 AM

Oct 2007
BRSxIgnition said:
After watching the first episode, I have to say I like the characters. The pink'haired friend looks nice enough, and has a likable personality. Kirito himself seems to be hiding something, but he doesn't want to let that stop him from succeeding.
I doubt he has anything crazy hiding other than being friendless in real life.

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
Jul 8, 2012 8:12 AM

Jan 2008
Better than I expected for the first episode. I almost skipped this anime for this season. Hope no whiny charas later.
Jul 8, 2012 8:13 AM

Feb 2012
Interesting and this is quite reminds me once when i used to play mmorpg games. Looking forward and hope rank 31 isn't the bullshit.
Jul 8, 2012 8:14 AM

Feb 2012
BRSxIgnition said:
The first 4 - 5 pages are always the legitimate posters and fans, meanwhile, the last 15 or so pages have been sprinkled with trolls and haters.

I, myself, really liked the first episode. It did well answering any questions that the viewer might have had, showed off the show's more lavish production values, and gave us all a feel for the mood of the show. I love how they actually balance the number of male characters with the number of female characters - that's already a sign that the show will have more class than half of the anime out currently.

The idea of being trapped with no way out is a horrifying one indeed, especially with the fact that your family could accidentaly kill you if they tried to pull off the NervGear..

I had shivers down my spine when it showed: "2000 players died within the first month. Nobody had past level 1."

For an anime with such a light color-palette, it has some dark undertones. As long as the anime doesn't stray from the light novel, I'll watch it instead. If I hear the light novel was better, I may read it.

I don't think that is the case in this thread I didn't see many trolls / haters and, there was a good bit of discussion going whether it was about sustaining the body in real life or some stuff that involved a lot of spoilers.
Jul 8, 2012 8:22 AM

Feb 2009
MysteriousTache said:
Considering that this is a standard MMORPG , just with the condition that when your HP becomes 0 you die IRL, you can be sure that there is something about PvP.
Jul 8, 2012 8:23 AM

Oct 2011
MidnightPride said:

I don't think that is the case in this thread I didn't see many trolls / haters and, there was a good bit of discussion going whether it was about sustaining the body in real life or some stuff that involved a lot of spoilers.

Yeah, that's why I said "sprinkled" not "filled", hahaha - but seriously, I can't wait to see more.
"Evidently... There's no such thing as 'meaning' in this world. But that in itself is wonderful... isn't it? Since if there isn't a set meaning, then you can just find one on your own."
- Filicia Heideman, So Ra No Wo To
Jul 8, 2012 8:24 AM
Jul 2012
MysteriousTache said:

Jul 8, 2012 8:26 AM

Dec 2009
Amazing first episode !
yuno6.jpg
Jul 8, 2012 8:26 AM
Mar 2008
i have been waiting for this anime to be aired since the animenewsnetwork reported that SAO anime would be produced (around 9 months ago),n there u go,the first episode doesn't fail to awe me!!!9 months of being waiting is worth~:D
Jul 8, 2012 8:30 AM

May 2012
Vizi_Reality said:
TheWitcher said:
it's close

Ok, overrated or not - we'll see
but just you wait till the tsundure shows up
she'll be the typical "strong" girl that won't be opened at all at first and then she will become the romantic girl that would risk her life and stuff
oi, they did a horrible thing by adding romance at all
Sore Wa Himitsu Desu
Pages (20) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 10 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bippo - Dec 15, 2012

904 by Saidai_otaku »»
Yesterday, 8:22 AM

» Overall do you enjoy watching SAO? What do you like about it? :) ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Apr 15

75 by IoriSei »»
Jul 27, 11:24 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

belatkuro - Aug 25, 2012

534 by tri_david »»
Jul 23, 7:55 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 6, 2012

1303 by tanf36016 »»
Jul 17, 5:49 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 3, 2012

692 by ORESTHSXL »»
Jul 14, 5:28 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.