Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fullmetal Alchemist
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (13) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 » ... Last »
Apr 7, 2009 2:17 AM

Apr 2007
The OP was nice, though I fall victim to my own nitpickery when it comes to the video. Envy flip around on some sort of bridge normally, and Gluttony's weight can break it in two? Yeah, right. Whatever. I'm going to close my eyes whenever that part comes up. Though that -is- assuming this will stay ever-so-faithful to the manga. This episode isn't exactly proof of that =P

But I'm only being this naggy because I love FMA that damned much >_>

ED had wonderfully cute animation, though I probably need a couple of episodes to get used to the music.

This episode was only average. It was nice to see the characters again, though this killed the "Look! The armour must be the Fullmetal Alchemist! *ignores Ed seething in the background*" joke for me. Exactly how many times in a row did they use it? *grumbles* I mean, I completely admit "Ed is short!" jokes belong to FMA, but, meh. I was actually looking towards to this remake because they weren't supposed to abuse the joke, just like they don't in the manga. Maybe it's because I still don't like Al's voice actor. Wish they had changed his instead of Mustang's. But the new one's doing a good job, maybe I just need to 'get into' him.

Cihan said:
I think we're all waiting for the arcs after a little Chinese girl with a panda shows up, to be honest.

Word. Along with a certain Chinese boy with fainting spells.
Apr 7, 2009 3:41 AM

Oct 2008
knave said:
And if you weren't so dumb and knew what an opinion was, maybe people would not laugh at you. So what if he gave it an 8 or a 10? It's his opinion, dumbass.

You are right Knave I think I went a little too far with pointing out Fai's opinion and have retracted it, I wouldn't want to be passive aggressive.

Example: Oh wait, did they teach you what passive aggressive means in High School yet Knave?
Orion1Apr 7, 2009 4:10 AM
Apr 7, 2009 4:49 AM

Jan 2008
Awesome start. The music and the animation was epic. Hope this one will last longer than the previous one.
Apr 7, 2009 6:05 AM

Sep 2008
Pretty awesome episode! It's really great to relive the Fullmetal Alchemist series :D

Loved the ED :D

Apr 7, 2009 6:11 AM
Sep 2008
While the production quality and detail on things like Ed's automail arm is a 100% positive increase from original series, I actually preferred the originals animation for characters and environments. It was more realistic. I feel like they spilled over some of the animation style of Soul Eater into this new work, and it makes for a more cartoony feeling.

Everything else was great though.
Apr 7, 2009 7:26 AM

May 2008
awesome fma bk ^_^

cant wait for next episode loved the ed wasnt sure with the op, hope this is longer than 50 episodes!
Apr 7, 2009 8:19 AM

Jul 2007
Kabyk said:
While the production quality and detail on things like Ed's automail arm is a 100% positive increase from original series, I actually preferred the originals animation for characters and environments. It was more realistic. I feel like they spilled over some of the animation style of Soul Eater into this new work, and it makes for a more cartoony feeling.

Nope, its just that Character designs are more closer to manga. :)
Apr 7, 2009 8:47 AM
Sep 2008
Fai said:
Kabyk said:

Nope, its just that Character designs are more closer to manga. :)

I was referring to the colors more than anything. Both series are bright and vibrant, but original Ed's coat has a slight earthy tint to make it seem like it's a legitimate piece of clothing you'd find in a real life store. Not too much different is the new one, but its bright enough to believe its an anime apparel but not something you'd see someone in real life walking down the street wearing.
Apr 7, 2009 10:08 AM

Aug 2007
Fai said:
Cihan said:
An 'original' episode? Thats hilarious. I thought the reason this remake existed was to actually follow the manga? I swear the makers are just laughing at all the fans while their pockets get stuffed with cash. (well, not like we're paying to watch it on TV anyway)

Marketing decision.

Seeing FMAv2 start with Lior again, would fool most of the watchers that it is teh "same" as Fma1, reducing the customer count.

THey HAD to start with something different

Bullshit they had to. It just proves anime studios are full of morons.

Knave said:
Orion1 said:
Fai said:
ROFL.Ok, that was the last one. I will refuse to take you seriously from now on xDDD

If you want to Marginalize me to make yourself feel more superior, then I'd like everyone else who reads this to realize that you gave Ganz and "8" and Sol Bianca: The Legacy a "10". Nuff Said.

And if you weren't so dumb and knew what an opinion was, maybe people would not laugh at you. So what if he gave it an 8 or a 10? It's his opinion, dumbass.

So what? Rating something after only one episode is a stupid thing to do.
Apr 7, 2009 10:09 AM

Feb 2009
I am new to the this series, although I have watched 13 or so episodes of the previous one, and to be honest i thought it was absolute shit! I am beginning to wonder whether this will actually stick to the manga and how long this series wll be?!
Apr 7, 2009 1:11 PM

Feb 2009
My one and only word for this ep - Awesome.
Apr 7, 2009 2:00 PM

Apr 2009
i really liked the episode.
good start
Apr 7, 2009 2:22 PM

Feb 2009
I didn't love it. but it is FMA so of course I'm gonna watch it.
but really, was everyone's face this fat!? especialy ed.
BONES is very good at animation, but I prefer the original animation D:

tho...the music is awesome!! XD
Apr 7, 2009 3:14 PM

Oct 2008
Drunk_Samurai said:
So what? Rating something after only one episode is a stupid thing to do.

I agree. Read the beginning of the conversation starting Here
Orion1Apr 7, 2009 3:19 PM
Apr 7, 2009 3:31 PM

Jul 2008
This was quite impressive. I loved how they played with the graphics this time and added great effects, makes it A LOT more entertaining to watch :]

The OP and ED songs were great too! The ED song has such cute animation xD

So far, from the first episode, it seem quite promising.
Bleed for me.

Apr 7, 2009 3:56 PM
Sep 2008
liked it alot.
cant wait for ep2 now
Apr 7, 2009 5:25 PM

Jan 2009
Sami092 said:
I am new to the this series, although I have watched 13 or so episodes of the previous one, and to be honest i thought it was absolute shit! I am beginning to wonder whether this will actually stick to the manga and how long this series wll be?!

Apr 7, 2009 5:41 PM

Oct 2008
Fai said:
NoBadsign said:
To me, it seems that this next episode and, probably some of the episodes that follow, will be pretty unnecessary. Seriously, does anyone out there watching this not know Ed and Al's origin or could not find anyone else who did who could explain it to them?

Well, it is necessary since their origins and background DIFFER from FMA1 ;]

Not from what I say.

Mom dies... they use alchemy to resurrect her... things go wrong. Aside form the whole issue with Sloth I really don't see a difference.

NoBadsignApr 7, 2009 5:47 PM
Apr 7, 2009 6:09 PM

Jan 2009
NoBadsign said:
Fai said:
NoBadsign said:
To me, it seems that this next episode and, probably some of the episodes that follow, will be pretty unnecessary. Seriously, does anyone out there watching this not know Ed and Al's origin or could not find anyone else who did who could explain it to them?

Well, it is necessary since their origins and background DIFFER from FMA1 ;]

Not from what I say.

Mom dies... they use alchemy to resurrect her... things go wrong. Aside form the whole issue with Sloth I really don't see a difference.

only real difference was it was in the middle and it was shorter but the stories identical
Apr 7, 2009 7:01 PM
Apr 2009
well im not too into reading the manga of an anime but i was hoping that this would be the continuation of the first series/movie, or is this the end of the show?

just want some feedback on whoever might know about this
Apr 7, 2009 11:44 PM

Oct 2007
if any one noticed Kimblee's voice is soooo GAY lol
Apr 8, 2009 1:49 AM

Jul 2007
NoBadsign said:

You obviously forgot the Gate scene?

But then there's small things like
and other stuff. It does not go the same way as in animeeither .

And let's not forget that they will cover not only the "home" stuff, but the "exam" too, which was completely different(and better) in manga than in FMA1.
Apr 8, 2009 2:49 AM

Nov 2008
I forgot a lot of characters in FMA and it rekindled my love for them.
Apr 8, 2009 2:55 AM
Jul 2018
Wow, that was awesome. The OP/ED were great, I especially enjoyed the ED. The animation and coloring of the episode was fantastic. Looking forward to the next ep.
Apr 8, 2009 9:21 AM

Aug 2008
I was hoping for continuation of original series - not alternative story/filler. Anyway still good title with nice animation and awesome music.
Apr 8, 2009 10:13 AM

Jul 2007
Ximinez said:
I was hoping for continuation of original series - not alternative story/filler.

Its not a "filler". Its original story, which came before FMA1, since this is FMA manga adaptation (with exception of anime original first ep)
Apr 8, 2009 10:17 AM

Jan 2009
Genesis02 said:
well im not too into reading the manga of an anime but i was hoping that this would be the continuation of the first series/movie, or is this the end of the show?

just want some feedback on whoever might know about this

its a redo to follow the manga more closely
Apr 8, 2009 10:48 AM

Aug 2007
Fai said:
Ximinez said:
I was hoping for continuation of original series - not alternative story/filler.

Its not a "filler". Its original story, which came before FMA1, since this is FMA manga adaptation (with exception of anime original first ep)

This is supposed to be based off the manga. Anything in the anime that is not in the manga is filler.
Apr 8, 2009 11:02 AM

Aug 2008
Drunk_Samurai said:
Fai said:
Ximinez said:

This is supposed to be based off the manga. Anything in the anime that is not in the manga is filler.

By original story I meant previous anime series. I haven't read manga. Sorry for misunderstanding ;)
Apr 8, 2009 11:41 AM

Dec 2007
kashim said:
OP music is godawful unless you like jpop. Gotta wait for hd raw.

Actually, J-Pop is one of the better Pop genres currently out there in my opinion.

Sure, it's not as awesome as some Technical Death Metal or Experimental stuff, but it warms your heart and is awesome in its on way. At least there are much worse unintelligent pop out there, something out of hell that you won't see on your TV in your country.

The op is pretty much well done, both music-wise, content-wise and animation wise.

And about the series, the first episode was refreshing, and so far, I enjoyed this single episode more than I enjoyed the whole previous Full Metal Alchemist anime franchise, which I generally disliked. Even if it's an original episode not following the manga, it had some nice qualities to it and refreshing atmosphere.
Apr 8, 2009 3:10 PM
Aug 2008
I liked the episode, though I'm not too much familiarized with the manga.
Apr 8, 2009 3:36 PM
Dec 2007
The new design is not that great and I don't really like the protagonists' hair. Also, the animation and art are not that impressive overall seing that we are now 5 years after the first FMA. That's for the complaints.

Now for the good side of things, everything else is far better than the first series, with a great and intelligent introduction as well as some script development already and above all a fantastic direction, even better than Mizushima's. Good vibe and huge potential for this one, it should be better than the first series, I'm convinced of it after this first episode. I don't say it often, so: good job BONES !

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Apr 8, 2009 3:39 PM

Sep 2008
I just loved it, seeing Edward & C. again was awesome. I can´t wait for the 2nd episode!!

Apr 8, 2009 8:15 PM

Apr 2008
Jacut said:
The new design is not that great and I don't really like the protagonists' hair. Also, the animation and art are not that impressive overall seing that we are now 5 years after the first FMA. That's for the complaints.

Now for the good side of things, everything else is far better than the first series, with a great and intelligent introduction as well as some script development already and above all a fantastic direction, even better than Mizushima's. Good vibe and huge potential for this one, it should be better than the first series, I'm convinced of it after this first episode. I don't say it often, so: good job BONES !

The hair did look kind of off and I don't understand why everyone is bugging out about the first FMA's animation seeing as it was phenomenal and still holds up now today. But it was a good start to a "re-telling" of the story
Apr 8, 2009 9:12 PM

Apr 2008
LOVE-LY </Sailor Moon>

I missed Hughes and Armstrong. Welcome back FMA. That was lots of fun. I think the cast did well. As for the "Miki Problem", it is pretty different but charming. I could be biased cause I like Miki and yeah he doesn't sound as strong as the 1st version.

Edit: Oh yeah, another common argument

OP Animation: Awesome
OP music: Scary..

Those are more thoughts
Apr 8, 2009 11:01 PM

Feb 2008
Crisp98 said:
FMA: Brotherhood Episode 1 .... was Terriawful ....... terrible and awful all in 1 .... slight prequal / retellings / or original stories from back then are going to be horrible just like this episode was, wish it was just going to pick up where FMA / the movie left off ,or perhaps a few years later with the brothers still in the other world, then I'd be 1 happy camper but Alas my dream is gone.

2/10

Haha, you're damned and I think your outdated. There are already too much info about this series and you're still thinking about this being a sequel... XD

LOL!

Anyways, why is this discussion board talks about the music rather than the anime?! Haha! For me, the OP/ED are awesome and I really love it. So it's okay!!!

The anime starts off cool already even though it's just a filler for introduction part; next episode will be better and cannon. :D
Apr 8, 2009 11:34 PM

Jul 2007
Crisp98 said:
FMA: Brotherhood Episode 1 .... was Terriawful ....... terrible and awful all in 1 .... slight prequal / retellings / or original stories from back then are going to be horrible just like this episode was, wish it was just going to pick up where FMA / the movie left off ,or perhaps a few years later with the brothers still in the other world, then I'd be 1 happy camper but Alas my dream is gone.

2/10

Its been ages already since it was clear that it is a remake of original series, this time actually following manga plotline, instead of nazi-alternative world fagotry.

FMA2 ignores FMA1 and follows manga plot.

Manga concepts are different from FMA1, thus overall storyline of FMA2 is different from FMA1.

But if you still want some conclusion to that nazi-alt-world-stuff or the anime-original/filler storyline of fma1 go thar:
http://myanimelist.net/anime/931/Fullmetal_Alchemist:_Kids

babykeiji said:

The anime starts off cool already even though it's just a filler for introduction part; next episode will be better and cannon. :D

IF all fillers were at the level of quality of this....
Apr 9, 2009 5:02 AM

Nov 2008
i loved the OP and especially the ED omg it was a long time i didnt see that kind of animation!!! and the "i will fuse al to make myself look bigger" was rofltastic ^^
the animation was great i hope it stays like that
Apr 9, 2009 5:15 AM

Jan 2009
Finally got to see this. The first FMA series is one of my favourites so it was some trepidation and anticipation that I watched this first episode of this reworking of the Elrich brothers saga.

I have to say that it didn't take long for that joyous sense of familiarity to creep in upon seeing the two brothers and the rest of the FMA cast in action once again. At first I was a little confused about the timeline as I was not aware that this was reboot (as such) and as someone who not read the Manga I imagine there will be plenty of new material to devour and savour over the course of this series.

My only minor grumble - something which I noticed in the first series - is the overuse of comedy: vis-a-vis the chibi/sweatdrop/blank faces effect that is more suited to a School Rumble type show. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate good humour in Anime but I feel for a series of this nature it is a little incongruous - although I understand this was the intent of the manga-ka, so I guess I will have to live with it.

The animation is clearly a step above that of the original series which itself boasted some top notch visuals; and since YUI is one of my favourite artists, I have no complaints about the choice of music either! ;)

So, in conclusion, this for me was a fine and encouraging portent of things to come for the remainder of the series.
Apr 9, 2009 5:47 AM
Sep 2008
ManInBlack said:
Finally got to see this. The first FMA series is one of my favourites so it was some trepidation and anticipation that I watched this first episode of this reworking of the Elrich brothers saga.

I have to say that it didn't take long for that joyous sense of familiarity to creep in upon seeing the two brothers and the rest of the FMA cast in action once again. At first I was a little confused about the timeline as I was not aware that this was reboot (as such) and as someone who not read the Manga I imagine there will be plenty of new material to devour and savour over the course of this series.

My only minor grumble - something which I noticed in the first series - is the overuse of comedy: vis-a-vis the chibi/sweatdrop/blank faces effect that is more suited to a School Rumble type show. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate good humour in Anime but I feel for a series of this nature it is a little incongruous - although I understand this was the intent of the manga-ka, so I guess I will have to live with it.

The animation is clearly a step above that of the original series which itself boasted some top notch visuals; and since YUI is one of my favourite artists, I have no complaints about the choice of music either! ;)

So, in conclusion, this for me was a fine and encouraging portent of things to come for the remainder of the series.

Well, they pumped a lot into the first episode. Seemed more like a test to veteran FMA viewers to see what they remember rather than a story introduction. It was a great intro ep, but honestly, I can't see it being good from a "new viewer" context. A lot of story-specific words, established chars doing their established thing without an intro. (STRONG-ARM ALCHEMIST! *TWINKLE*!!!)

I felt it was a fantastic ep, but my friend not very into the story was confused and I had to explain things to him. Thats a bad thing for first eps.
Apr 9, 2009 6:09 AM

Jan 2009
that was the best 1st episode of anything ive seen in ages, now this is how to remake an anime yo. totally interesting in terms of story, animation, voice work and music. i'm hooked :D
Apr 9, 2009 6:58 AM

Jan 2008
Kabyk said:

Well, they pumped a lot into the first episode. Seemed more like a test to veteran FMA viewers to see what they remember rather than a story introduction. It was a great intro ep, but honestly, I can't see it being good from a "new viewer" context. A lot of story-specific words, established chars doing their established thing without an intro. (STRONG-ARM ALCHEMIST! *TWINKLE*!!!)

I felt it was a fantastic ep, but my friend not very into the story was confused and I had to explain things to him. Thats a bad thing for first eps.

That's probably the truest criticism I've seen of this episode, which I felt was amazing. They DID show a lot of things/use a lot of terms that only the initiated would have already known.
Apr 9, 2009 7:14 AM

Jan 2009
Kabyk said:

A very fair and valid point.

One can only assume that the thinking behind was that the producers took it for granted that the core viewership for this series was very likely to be those already familiar with the FMA story, thus this opening episode was more of a refresher/reintroduction for those fans to welcome them back to this series and perhaps also a taster for what is to come in relation to the different tone this adaptation will have from the first series.

In many ways a brave move but how many other series have wee seen where they start off with a bang and the backstory and exposition of the main characters doesn't appear until a good few episodes into the run? Newer viewers may be confused for the moment but what is to say that - from following the Manga - the original story will once again unfold as the series progresses?

Having not read the Manga I am not qualified to do much more than speculate for the moment so I will happily concede to anyone who has read the Manga and can confirm how the story is likely to play out here. :)
Apr 9, 2009 11:03 AM

Aug 2007
At least Edward's voice is much more tolerable this time. It doesn't sound like a whiny 7 year old.
Apr 9, 2009 1:26 PM

Dec 2007
Interesting so far, it was hyped that it was supposed to be based more closely on the manga but if my memory serves correct such an event never happened. It did seem geared more toward the veteran FMA fans since Isaac's speech about what the country is really doing would make sense to them. The animation is about on par with the movie which is good, the motions are a lot more fluid, also the hair is done much differently but I'm not complaining. So far I'm liking the music from the first series better, but the OP and ED are good.

#NBHNC
Apr 9, 2009 1:38 PM

Feb 2009
I saw the new episode and I really enjoyed it. I liked the idea of drawing a transmutation circle and coming back to use it later. Plus, seeing all the characters again felt like a "welcome back" episode. Seeing Armstrong this early in the series was a nice surprise for me since I thought he was funny.
Apr 9, 2009 2:38 PM
Apr 2008
I just love Fullemetal Alchemist and this episode was just awesome.
Apr 9, 2009 3:10 PM

Oct 2008
Finally I saw the episode..just amazing, It was a good stars!!!
Apr 9, 2009 4:19 PM
Jul 2008
Drunk_Samurai said:
At least Edward's voice is much more tolerable this time. It doesn't sound like a whiny 7 year old.

You do know it is still the same seiyu?
Apr 9, 2009 4:30 PM

Feb 2009
Yarashi said:
Drunk_Samurai said:

You do know it is still the same seiyu?

I remember reading a news article on MAL that said they brought back the same people to do Ed and Al's voice.
Pages (13) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 56 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

DeviantKaos - May 9, 2010

208 by Ronin_4011 »»
Jun 2, 11:58 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 55 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

DeviantKaos - May 2, 2010

232 by Ronin_4011 »»
Jun 2, 11:33 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 45 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

removed-user - Feb 21, 2010

178 by DryAmeer »»
Jun 2, 5:24 AM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 46 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

removed-user - Feb 28, 2010

216 by Ronin_4011 »»
Jun 2, 3:07 AM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 64 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Jul 4, 2010

976 by iwakur4 »»
Jun 2, 1:26 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.