Forum Settings
Forums

What was the first anime you rated a 10/nearly a 10?

New
Pages (8) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 »
Mar 16, 2016 6:59 PM

Dec 2015
I think it was Evangelion 2.0, since that was pretty much how I got into anime. Then, it would be Puella Magi Madoka Magica because HOLY CRAP IT'S A WORK OF ART and third would probably be Toaru Kagaku No Railgun S BECAUSEEEEEEEEEEEE it was awesome (You get a cookie if you got the reference)

Of course, this is excluding the Madoka movies since that would just be unfair.
Mar 16, 2016 7:27 PM

Mar 2016
The future diary, it got me really hooked thanks to Yuno!!
God do i wanna watch it again :'(
Mar 16, 2016 7:30 PM

Feb 2015
KawaiiPemmy said:

Reminds me of how Crazy was the following 1-3 EP's, and the end was pretty much better than what I thought it would be.
Mar 16, 2016 7:56 PM

Aug 2015
Samurai Champloo. Still a favorite to this day.

Mar 16, 2016 7:56 PM

Mar 2016
_Ako_ said:
KawaiiPemmy said:

Reminds me of how Crazy was the following 1-3 EP's, and the end was pretty much better than what I thought it would be.

Ikr! The story is amazing, theres no bullshit like the same shit over and over again, it kinda sucked when both of his parents died thou...
Mar 16, 2016 8:27 PM

Feb 2015
KawaiiPemmy said:
_Ako_ said:

Ikr! The story is amazing, theres no bullshit like the same shit over and over again, it kinda sucked when both of his parents died thou...

Well, the hole in the story would be Yuki's characterization. It seems flat throughout the story, then suddenly changed...
Mar 16, 2016 8:30 PM
Mar 2016
Mine is Air Gear (including the manga) favorite wise
One Piece for legit wise
Mar 16, 2016 8:43 PM

Mar 2016
_Ako_ said:
KawaiiPemmy said:

Well, the hole in the story would be Yuki's characterization. It seems flat throughout the story, then suddenly changed...

Well thats true but keep in mind that beacause his parents died he finally had a goal, something he lacked sinds the beginning of the game, and beacause he had reason, the game could finally take a turn. Yuki was always targeted so it's only fair that he strikes back with a little ( *cough, alot) of help from yuno
Mar 16, 2016 8:49 PM

Feb 2013
I think I have Death Note as a ten? That was my fourth anime.

I have the Hikaru no Go manga at a ten as well, at least I should, but the anime wasn't as good so I think it's a bit lower. That was my second anime.

I'm pretty lax on ratings.
Mar 16, 2016 8:51 PM

Feb 2015
KawaiiPemmy said:
_Ako_ said:

Well thats true but keep in mind that beacause his parents died he finally had a goal, something he lacked sinds the beginning of the game, and beacause he had reason, the game could finally take a turn. Yuki was always targeted so it's only fair that he strikes back with a little ( *cough, alot) of help from yuno

Lol... I agree, anyway, I think that the last EP was just rushed. Either way, Yuno is just the best.
Mar 16, 2016 9:06 PM

Mar 2016
_Ako_ said:
KawaiiPemmy said:

Lol... I agree, anyway, I think that the last EP was just rushed. Either way, Yuno is just the best.

I agree, Yuno is my goddess, love her concentration and ubsession even thou yuki can be a real dick
Mar 16, 2016 10:06 PM

Aug 2010
The fist anime I've ever watched, pokemon xD
Mar 16, 2016 10:24 PM

Sep 2014
Death Note and still think it's awesome. I'd recommend it to anyone looking to try out anime.

Add me on League of Legends: BigT - NA Server
Mar 16, 2016 10:43 PM

Aug 2015
Almost everyone rates their first anime a 10/10 as much as I know.
Mar 17, 2016 1:54 AM

Jun 2014
Loknir said:
Samurai Champloo. Still a favorite to this day.

Hear, hear! I think Samurai Champloo was my first 10/10 too. nothing has topped it yet for me.
Mar 17, 2016 4:02 AM

Aug 2015
Well i think Steins;Gate it was Really good
Liking traps is gay and liking Lolis is Pedophila.
Come at me bruh!
Mar 17, 2016 4:46 AM

Oct 2013
hmmm....memory is fuzzy

Death Note as a 10. After watching DBZ as a kid and a few other anime I never really seen anime anymore until 2010 where it hit me that DBZ was in fact anime.

Wanted something like DBZ since I was fed up of TV shows at the time and american cartoons just looked utter shit to me so a friend of mines suggested Death Note.

That was it.
My Manga List
My Anime List
Shabada shabadabadaba
I am DjG545 aka Dj Fo Fo aka The Mutha Fkn Name I'm Usin Now
Mar 17, 2016 4:50 AM

Oct 2014
Lovely Complex was the 1st anime i rated 10 :D
Mar 17, 2016 5:00 AM

Jul 2009
Mine was the first anime I ever watched, called The Bush Baby. I never knew it was anime at the time, though.

As for the first thing I watched that I knew was anime that I gave a 10...I think it was probably The Digimon Movie (specifically the 2nd part of it, with Diaboromon). Or Pokemon 2000. Whichever came out first.
Mar 17, 2016 5:06 AM
Dec 2015
Mar 17, 2016 5:09 AM
Jan 2016
It was Sword Art Online and Shingeki no Kyojin, I added them to MAL at the same time. SAO was probably the first to reach 10 in my head, though. Nothing has made me cry and laugh and feel as much as SAO. :)
Mar 17, 2016 5:09 AM

Jan 2016
That would be Gen Urobuchi/Akiyuki SHinbo's Madoka Magica.

That's after I've had about a hundred anime in my belt.

I also was hesitant to watch this too because at first I don't like Shaft's style and magical girls.

As for a near 10, that'll be Yahari. After about 30 anime in my belt.
ethotMar 17, 2016 5:14 AM
Mar 17, 2016 5:10 AM

May 2008
Clannad, but my favourite anime when I was younger was Azumanga Daiou. However, I'm not sure if that's because it's what got me into anime and I'm biased or if it's actually that good. I'll have to rewatch it.

It's hard to remember because my tastes have changed over time and I started watching anime over 10 years ago. I'm sure when I was 11 I would've given many different things a 10/10 than what I give now.
Mar 17, 2016 5:12 AM

Jul 2014
I don't remember what I watched first of Kokoro Connect or the Haruhi movie, I think it was Kokoro Connect.

Zazie122 said:
Clannad, but my favourite anime when I was younger was Azumanga Daiou. However, I'm not sure if that's because it's what got me into anime and I'm biased or if it's actually that good. I'll have to rewatch it.

I made the "mistake" of watching Nichijou before I watched Azumanga Daioh, made Azumanga not look that hot or make me laugh much in comparison. Still good, just not top tier.
Mar 17, 2016 5:19 AM

May 2008
Red_Tuesday said:

I made the "mistake" of watching Nichijou before I watched Azumanga Daioh, made Azumanga not look that hot or make me laugh much in comparison. Still good, just not top tier.

Azumanga is probably pretty dated now to be fair, it did come out early 2000s. People probably would find it a bit boring nowadays, but at the time I really enjoyed it (granted, series like Nichijou and Lucky☆Star and other slice of life things didn't exist yet). I can get why you didn't enjoy it as much though, it's more laid back than Nichijou is from what I know (Nichijou actually doesn't look too bad, I've only watched the OVA but I'll give the series itself a shot at some point).

I mean, nothing comes close to Azumanga due to it having Wakamoto Norio. I feel like I'd appreciate Chiyo's Dad a lot more now than I did as a kid.
Mar 17, 2016 5:21 AM

Nov 2015
steins gate its was my first 10 and one of my favorite anime ever
SliperySphincterJun 2, 2016 6:56 PM
Mar 17, 2016 5:24 AM

Jul 2014
Zazie122 said:
Red_Tuesday said:

Azumanga is probably pretty dated now to be fair, it did come out early 2000s. People probably would find it a bit boring nowadays, but at the time I really enjoyed it (granted, series like Nichijou and Lucky☆Star and other slice of life things didn't exist yet). I can get why you didn't enjoy it as much though, it's more laid back than Nichijou is from what I know (Nichijou actually doesn't look too bad, I've only watched the OVA but I'll give the series itself a shot at some point).

I mean, nothing comes close to Azumanga due to it having Wakamoto Norio. I feel like I'd appreciate Chiyo's Dad a lot more now than I did as a kid.

Oh I just mentioned Nichijou because it's the closest to AD in comedic genre. (Lucky Star is very different and is reference-driven, not slapstick, deadpan or non sequitor like Nichijou)

Mar 17, 2016 5:34 AM
Apr 2015
I'm not sure if it's Clannad After Story or FMA Brotherhood. Either way, they deserve it.

if i were still the same me 5 years ago I'd rate Shugo Chara a 10, but now i'm not, so it's just an 8.
Mar 17, 2016 6:11 AM

Apr 2011
code geass both seasons if we don't count the ones I have watched during childhood
Mar 17, 2016 7:09 AM

Feb 2015
Z-Dante said:
Almost everyone rates their first anime a 10/10 as much as I know.

I agree, but isn't 9/10 more suitable?
Red_Tuesday said:
Zazie122 said:

Oh I just mentioned Nichijou because it's the closest to AD in comedic genre. (Lucky Star is very different and is reference-driven, not slapstick, deadpan or non sequitor like Nichijou)

Lol... I still laugh at Nichijou even though I have watched it.
Mar 26, 2016 1:21 PM
Jul 2015
DEATH NOTE <3 looooove the anime & it's the first one i recommend to my friends who don't watch anime to tell them: "ANIME IS NOT JUST FOR KIDS" :p
Mar 26, 2016 2:05 PM
Mar 2016
Death note
Not many anime like death note can make you feel what it can make you feel whilst you watch it
Mar 26, 2016 10:57 PM

Mar 2016
^^^ Death note.^^^ Only just started using MAL but Death note was the first anime i see that i thought was a masterpiece.

Mar 26, 2016 11:23 PM

Dec 2012
Honey & Clover,even though I first seen it long long time ago when I couldn't score it on MAL it was still a 10/10 masterpiece.
Mar 27, 2016 12:03 AM
Feb 2015
This is a tough one cause I don't remember if I finished Hiiro no Kakera first or Wedding Peach. Hmm I would say both were the first anime I ever rated a 10.
Mar 27, 2016 12:33 AM
Dec 2014
Probably Berserk. Goddammit I love that ending.

Looked at the manga but it was pretty standard shit.
Mar 27, 2016 12:37 AM

Mar 2013
Fortunately for me Pandora Hearts was my first 10 and also the show that got me hooked into the mystery/thriller genre.
Happy Halloween
Mar 27, 2016 1:05 AM

Oct 2012
Minkey said:
Mine would be Attack on Titan, which was also the first anime I've watched.

OT, I think Paranoia Agent was the first anime I gave a 10/10.

Mar 27, 2016 11:47 PM

Feb 2016
Toradora. It was one of my first animes and introduced me to the genre of romance.
“One ought to hold on to one's heart; for if one lets it go, one soon loses control of the head too.”
Mar 27, 2016 11:50 PM
Jul 2014
One Piece, Hajime no Ippo, Hunter x Hunter (2011) or Fullmetal Alchemist. Can't remember. :D
Mar 28, 2016 10:36 AM

Jul 2015
Clannad: After Story.
Everyone knows this series was amazing.
Mar 28, 2016 10:36 AM

Aug 2015
Bakuman S2 and S3, S1 is a bit off but I gave it 9, the others are just excellent 10/10
Mar 28, 2016 10:38 AM

May 2014
Angel Beats. I know, I know.

Mar 28, 2016 10:42 AM

Mar 2016
I think it was Welcome to NHK ... So much lesson I got from this anime
"People who don't see that anime has changed are either wearing "glasses" or watching only a certain type (and or era) of anime"
"Having a low mean score doesn't necessarily mean one doesn't enjoy anime. Rating system is not a school grading system."
"Elitist is people who think he is superior than others. Not necessarily ones who insulting/critisizing your favorite anime or people who enjoy a certain type of anime"
"Fanboy is people who translating "your favorite anime is shit" into "you are shit".
"Being a fanboy is an indication of elitism"
Mar 28, 2016 8:15 PM

Feb 2015
Hunter x hunter 2011 was the first one I gave a 10 when I joinend MAL.
Mar 28, 2016 9:13 PM

Jun 2015
Mushishi. It is still one of the best series for me.
Apr 3, 2016 1:08 PM

Dec 2007
sorcery said:
Hey.
Very simple taste? You mean simpleton right? =)
I wonder what's with that will to label anyone demanding a snob? I consider myself a humanist in the noble sense of term. A human being must strive to become as knowledgeable as he can. It's a moral duty in humanism. When you think about it, "Otaku" is a very reductive appellation, in the sense it reduces one as being a consumer of Japanese culture. I do think if bar is set low for kids, it won't likely be any high later on. Even as a teen, I had been self demanding intellectually. Same goes for marketted kiddie stuff. Do you like being defined by a demographic? I don't. I am personally convinced fine entertainment should reach for both kids and grown ups.

Also, I disagree. People don't go for art necessarily because it's enjoyable. It has to embed a meaningful message, otherwise it's just a firework of colors. A firework is nice to watch, but I don't think you'd sit hours looking at it. I took offense as Homo Festivus called me a cynical. That literally means I have no morals. I more like think it's anime writers who don't give a shit because fans watch anyway, who are cynical. If you look closely at my review of Mudai, you'll know that I am an esthete by heart. I know about the dilemma of subjectivity.

If I sound bitter, it's because I have had my share of anime community stupidity. I keep going justly to discuss with guys like you who don't sound like complete drones.

Hey hey!

I would label myself a snob. I guess because people know it means. I think it will give other people an impression of me that is fair. But i would also say that i have shit taste because i watch and enjoy so many mediocre things. Gosh, all the slice-of-life on my list. It's ok if i give them a low score, right? :'(

This is one point where i seem to disagree with a lot of other snobs. I don't see the need for a tangible message in art. As far as i'm concerned art has one purpose, and that is to be beautiful. Although that beauty or enjoyment or whatever you might call it would be defined very broadly. Even a good downer is enjoyable. As long as it makes you satisfied/fulfilled/inspired/awed it is in a sense "enjoyable", right? But some people seem to insist that a great piece of art needs (or at least often include) some valuable insight into real life, which i find absurd. I generally consume art to get away from real life, because it can give me experiences that real life can't, or that i don't want it to. When i want real life i'll just go out and live it.

tl;dr: art for art's sake rather than art for a message's sake.

yhunata said:
Code Geass, also the very first anime that I willingly watched.

So you were forced to watch anime before that?
Apr 3, 2016 1:11 PM

Apr 2011
Volbla said:
yhunata said:
Code Geass, also the very first anime that I willingly watched.

So you were forced to watch anime before that?

I despised anime before I watched Code Geass. I was really close minded, anything that I couldn't understand was not worth my time and I could never understand how people liked "this gay shit".
Apr 13, 2016 12:41 AM

Oct 2009
Death Note

mukashi mukashiiiiiiiii

Apr 13, 2016 1:35 AM

Oct 2014
Either Attack on Titan or Noragami, I finished watching them around the same time.
Pages (8) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 »

More topics from this board

» What anime studio has the best track record for consistent bangers?

Reshiram_IX - Yesterday

41 by BatoKusanagi »»
1 minute ago

» If you can't do these two things in live action then you shouldn't be able to do them in anime

Iron_Leopard - Jun 9

39 by KayKimii »»
9 minutes ago

Poll: » Which of these shonen is the best in your opinion?

Yaaceen - Jun 9

48 by KayKimii »»
12 minutes ago

» Would you date an anime girl even if she ate her rice grains one at a time?

ItsXolo - Yesterday

12 by FZREMAKE »»
46 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you agree that One Piece being the top 1 currently airing anime suggests this Spring is weak? ( 1 2 )

18927 - Jun 6

59 by KayKimii »»
47 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.