Forum Settings
Forums

Why do members of the Gintama community over inflate Gintama's MAL scores?

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (7) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 »
Jan 16, 2018 2:06 PM
May 2017
Paul said:
spacebishijesus said:

acting like you know what I'm actually like when I'm not baiting on online websites. irl I'm better than you.

Anyone can tell what you're actually like simply by reading this topic. You thinking you're better than me has absolutely nothing to do with this discussion and the fact that you need to bring it just goes to show your ignorance and superiority complex you have towards trying to prove your right and 'better'.

You can't make inferences as to the entirety of someone's personality by way of analysis of how someone acts when they're flaming/baiting et cetera. Also, personally calling me out when this discussion isn't about me isn't mature or level headed and is just as telling about your own behavior as what you purport to be my own.
Jan 16, 2018 2:08 PM
May 2017
danangafnan said:
Adonc said:
That's what happens in the Gintama fanbase in reaction to the hundreds of 1's that come in. I imagine that would happen to ANY fanbase on MAL if it gets hated as much as Gintama (certain people think it's their "job" to set the score right, so they create fake accounts, and yes, it creates cancer)

I mean you can't judge it so quickly that it was from Gintama fans. It can be like this "Hey, I want to make Gintama gets more hate from Saiki fans so I will set my score with 1 and Gintama 10 and then some people from Saiki fans will make Gintama score low". And it would be the dumbest move if the fake account is really from Gintama fans. Because it won't make Gintama get higher score just make it gets more hate and then gets lower score.

People don't think like that though. Besides we've already had evidence somewhere in this threat to suggest that they are Gintama-fan run. But I agree that it is not likely 100% of Gintama fans, nor are they the only fanbase that do this.

Not that that is an excuse.
Jan 16, 2018 2:11 PM
May 2017
Paul said:
spacebishijesus said:

acting like you know what I'm actually like when I'm not baiting on online websites. irl I'm better than you.

Anyone can tell what you're actually like simply by reading this topic. You thinking you're better than me has absolutely nothing to do with this discussion and the fact that you need to bring it just goes to show your ignorance and the superiority complex you have towards trying to prove your right and 'better'.

In the same way you don't know which university I currently study at based on my post you cannot infer how I act irl on the basis of a FAKE PERSONA I've been adopting for shits and giggles. Nor would I attempt to make the vapid and unsubstantiated claim I know you based on your post; i.e. my claim that I am better than you was in jest in line with what I just explained. Interesting you still got fired up regardless and failed to recognise in-authenticity.
Jan 16, 2018 2:12 PM

Nov 2009
I rate things a 10 if I think they're worth a 10.

I think many Gintama installments are masterpieces. Oddly when I started it, I legitimately expected to hate it, but instead I ended up loving it. Many people don't enjoy it's style of comedy, and there's nothing wrong with that. The top MAL scores really don't mean anything because it's a matter of taste. If you don't enjoy specific types of anime, then no amount of people rating it a 10 will make you enjoy it. Like what you like and let other people like what they like.
Jan 16, 2018 2:13 PM

Aug 2012
Because it's a solid show. Gintama has great, developed characters, and the viewers get invested to the universe and said conflicts. Most people that get through the first 200 episodes will likely leave it a high rating.
Gintama also happen to get better by the sequels, hence why the title is so spread throughout the upper rankings. Even though I don't always laugh at the most exaggerated jokes, it's still enjoyable. Gintama has a different approach towards anime than any other series I know. It's a very different, long running show.
Jan 16, 2018 2:13 PM
May 2017
IntoOpenWaters said:

I think many Gintama installments are masterpieces. Oddly when I started it, I legitimately expected to hate it, but instead I ended up loving it. Many people don't enjoy it's style of comedy, and there's nothing wrong with that. The top MAL scores really don't mean anything because it's a matter of taste. If you don't enjoy specific types of anime, then no amount of people rating it a 10 will make you enjoy it. Like what you like and let other people like what they like.

Yes, I am aware of what subjectivity is.

sure man, I never advocated the denial or restriction of what people enjoy.
Jan 16, 2018 2:14 PM
May 2017
Monster said:
Because it's a solid show. Gintama has great, developed characters, and the viewers get invested to the universe and said conflicts. Most people that get through the first 200 episodes will likely leave it a high rating.
Gintama also happen to get better by the sequels, hence why the title is so spread throughout the upper rankings. Even though I don't always laugh at the most exaggerated jokes, it's still enjoyable. Gintama has a different approach towards anime than any other series I know. It's a very different, long running show.

Fair enough.

"Gintama has great, developed characters, and the viewers get invested to the universe and said conflicts." You can't make this claim on the basis that not everyone finished Gintama, but nevertheless for those that liked it that is a legit reason .
Jan 16, 2018 2:15 PM

Jan 2008
spacebishijesus said:
Paul said:

Anyone can tell what you're actually like simply by reading this topic. You thinking you're better than me has absolutely nothing to do with this discussion and the fact that you need to bring it just goes to show your ignorance and superiority complex you have towards trying to prove your right and 'better'.

You can't make inferences as to the entirety of someone's personality by way of analysis of how someone acts when they're flaming/baiting et cetera. Also, personally calling me out when this discussion isn't about me isn't mature or level headed and is just as telling about your own behavior as what you purport to be my own.

Calling you out? I don't think you even understand what you yourself are doing.

You can't judge someone by how they act when they're baiting or flaming? Um, yes, yes you can. Even without that, you can judging someone by the fact they feel the need to bait and flame in the first place. Though since apparently you're saying I'm not allowed to judge you, then you're basically admitting to this entire topic being bait and flame towards a specific fandom.

And please stop quoting multiple times and just edit your post.
Jan 16, 2018 2:18 PM

Dec 2016
danangafnan said:
Adonc said:
That's what happens in the Gintama fanbase in reaction to the hundreds of 1's that come in. I imagine that would happen to ANY fanbase on MAL if it gets hated as much as Gintama (certain people think it's their "job" to set the score right, so they create fake accounts, and yes, it creates cancer)

I mean you can't judge it so quickly that it was from Gintama fans. It can be like this "Hey, I want to make Gintama gets more hate from Saiki fans so I will set my score with 1 and Gintama 10 and then some people from Saiki fans will make Gintama score low". And it would be the dumbest move if the fake account is really from Gintama fans. Because it won't make Gintama get higher score just make it gets more hate and then gets lower score.
I doubt someone would rate every season of Gintama a 10 and everything else in the top ten a 1 just to accumulate hate for the Gintama fandom, especially because it's hard to find fake accounts like this without digging through the "recently updated" sections of high-rated anime.
Jan 16, 2018 2:19 PM
May 2017
Paul said:
spacebishijesus said:

You can't judge someone by how they act when they're baiting or flaming? Um, yes, yes you can. Even without that, you can judging someone by the fact they feel the need to bait and flame in the first place. Though since apparently you're saying I'm not allowed to judge you, then you're basically admitting to this entire topic being bait and flame towards a specific fandom.

"entire topic being bait and flame towards a specific fandom."

is it not apparent, given the response this post has garnered, that this is indeed the case.

I don't feel a need to do this. Perhaps if I did I would have more posts to my name on MAL(I'd levy that at least %50 are from this thread alone). Nor do I do it on most other platforms because I ghost or am a legitimate active participant .

"though since apparently you're saying I'm not allowed to judge you"

by all means, waste time "judging" me. But the image of me will be highly distorted; that is your claim you can infer anything (especially meaningful) with regard to my personality, disposition or life is just false.

And no, multiple quotes are easier. If you don't want to read them, then don't. You don't have to be here. Certainly doesn't look like you're enjoying yourself.
Jan 16, 2018 2:23 PM

Nov 2009
spacebishijesus said:
IntoOpenWaters said:

I feel like you read my post in a negative tone, which isn't how I meant it.

Saying "Like what you like and let other people like what they like" is basically a default comment for all of the threads about "Why is the score for this crappy show that I dislike so high?" I don't see the point in questioning this sort of thing if you claim to understand what subjectivity is.

Besides, if you're aware of the definition of subjectivity, why is the title of this thread about fans "over-inflating" the score? Yes, there will always be stupid fake accounts for inflating random anime's scores (Case in point: Violet Evergarden), but it's not "over-inflating" a score if you legitimately believe something is worthy of a 10.
Jan 16, 2018 2:23 PM
Jan 2018
spacebishijesus said:
IntoOpenWaters said:

So what others enjoy is subjectivity, but your opinion is objectivity.

What are you really, a grade schooler? get a life. Things don't always go your way.
Jan 16, 2018 2:24 PM

Dec 2016
Countdown till this thread gets locked?
Jan 16, 2018 2:26 PM
May 2017
barumungu said:
spacebishijesus said:

What are you really, a grade schooler? get a life. Things don't always go your way.

If you meant my post was objective, then no you're wrong; this was never claimed and I don't believe this to be the case. I don't even think Gintama is the worst anime I've ever seen.

The fact your account is so new is fairly suspect too.

Sep 2017
Adonc said:

i predict in the next 2 hours or so.gd
Edward Elric > your waifu

May 2017
Adonc said:

it's taken way too long tbf, I doubt they'll bother unless it's reported too much

Nov 2016
spacebishijesus said:

That's true, but the way you present your arguments, your profile and your attitude reek of bias.

I also think your concept of "haters" is ridiculous and is synonymous with PC culture and the like.

That's not to say I don't condone irrational hatred, but that's apparently different from your definition.

No same understanding. thats exactly it. Irrational hatred.
Jan 16, 2018 2:27 PM
May 2017
IntoOpenWaters said:
spacebishijesus said:

I feel like you read my post in a negative tone, which isn't how I meant it.

Saying "Like what you like and let other people like what they like" is basically a default comment for all of the threads about "Why is the score for this crappy show that I dislike so high?" I don't see the point in questioning this sort of thing if you claim to understand what subjectivity is.

Besides, if you're aware of the definition of subjectivity, why is the title of this thread about fans "over-inflating" the score? Yes, there will always be stupid fake accounts for inflating random anime's scores (Case in point: Violet Evergarden), but it's not "over-inflating" a score if you legitimately believe something is worthy of a 10.

because I think some people may intentionally give Gintama a score they don't think it actually deserves for the reasons stated in my post/

no I didn't view it negatively either
Jan 16, 2018 2:28 PM
May 2017
kisb said:
spacebishijesus said:

That's true, but the way you present your arguments, your profile and your attitude reek of bias.

I also think your concept of "haters" is ridiculous and is synonymous with PC culture and the like.

That's not to say I don't condone irrational hatred, but that's apparently different from your definition.

although I don't hate Gintama, my dislike is rational; the fanbase is toxic and pugnacious and the show bores me to tears (not that the latter is relevant)

Aug 2016
Adonc said:
danangafnan said:

I doubt someone would rate every season of Gintama a 10 and everything else in the top ten a 1 just to accumulate hate for the Gintama fandom, especially because it's hard to find fake accounts like this without digging through the "recently updated" sections of high-rated anime.

Unfortunately, there are some people who do this as you said. But believe me the reverse version of it is much more common. Just look at % of 1 scores of Gintama sequels and others animes at the top. You can see that easily. For example, FMAB has %0.3 1 scores but Gintama° has %1.8 1 scores which is 6 times more. Gintama.:Shirogane no tamashii hen has %3.6 1 scores btw. And when you consider that these are sequels, it is obvious that this is the work of haters. Because nobody watches sequels of an anime that s/he gave it 1. But I don't hate FMAB because of this. I love it too. People shouldn't be biased.
Jan 2018
spacebishijesus said:
barumungu said:

If you meant my post was objective, then no you're wrong; this was never claimed and I don't believe this to be the case. I don't even think Gintama is the worst anime I've ever seen.

So you think people are born, do things, etc at the same time, then if there's anyone new in a forum that account must be a fake?

yeah... yeah..
Jan 16, 2018 2:29 PM

Dec 2016
spacebishijesus said:
Adonc said:

it's taken way too long tbf, I doubt they'll bother unless it's reported too much

Dlwuik said:
Adonc said:

It would be funny as hell if some mod just moved this huge-ass thread into the Gintama board
Jan 16, 2018 2:31 PM
May 2017
barumungu said:
spacebishijesus said:

So you think people are born, do things, etc at the same time, then if there's anyone new in a forum that account must be a fake?

yeah... yeah..

didn't say you were fake I said you were suspect. I just find it interesting. but checking out your post history I think I believe you're legit. also you didn't rebut my point regarding your objectivity and subjectivity point, which only exists so you can use these buzzwords and ergo attempt to let them argue your point for you without you applying or properly explaining why you invoked them to begin with.
Jan 16, 2018 2:31 PM
May 2017
Adonc said:
spacebishijesus said:

Dlwuik said:

It would be funny as hell if some mod just moved this huge-ass thread into the Gintama board

is there a gintama board on MAL? lmao that'd be hilarious though
Jan 16, 2018 2:32 PM

Jun 2011
I don't know why we can't have a listing of top anime with the best scoring in the franchise being the representative in the top anime. It would just be nice to see the list be a little more diverse...
The anime community in a nutshell.
Jan 16, 2018 2:33 PM

Nov 2016
spacebishijesus said:
kisb said:

although I don't hate Gintama, my dislike is rational; the fanbase is toxic and pugnacious and the show bores me to tears (not that the latter is relevant)

Okay ... to conclude

your dislike of the show is rational but the score is not. its based on your view of the fanbase
EOF
Jan 16, 2018 2:34 PM

Jan 2008
spacebishijesus said:
Paul said:

is it not apparent, given the response this post has garnered, that this is indeed the case.

I don't feel a need to do this. Perhaps if I did I would have more posts to my name on MAL(I'd levy that at least %50 are from this thread alone). Nor do I do it on most other platforms because I ghost or am a legitimate active participant .

by all means, waste time "judging" me. But the image of me will be highly distorted; that is your claim you can infer anything (especially meaningful) with regard to my personality, disposition or life is just false.

And no, multiple quotes are easier. If you don't want to read them, then don't. You don't have to be here. Certainly doesn't look like you're enjoying yourself.

No worries, I don't need to judge your life as a whole, I never planned to nor do I care to go to such lengths, simply you as who you are on this site and your stance on the specific topic. Taking in the fact that you're asking me to leave the topic because I don't enjoy discussion about discouraging a fanbase only adds more to that list.
Jan 16, 2018 2:35 PM
May 2017
Energetic-Nova said:
I don't know why we can't have a listing of top anime with the best scoring in the franchise being the representative in the top anime. It would just be nice to see the list be a little more diverse...

that's pretty much just a gintama filter though so it's not worth implementing on a cost benefit basis.

especially since second seasons are as rare as they are and OVAs are typically never received as well as their TV anime counterparts.
Jan 16, 2018 2:35 PM
Jan 2018
Adonc said:
Holy crap, what did I walk in on? I just wanted to call out this loser https://myanimelist.net/profile/Hesham1112 and I walk in on straight cancer. Well, from what I've seen, whenever a new Gintama season comes out people on both sides reactively spam scoring and that can be attributed to the fact that MAL allows scoring before anime starts airing. Either way, this will be the last season of Gintama, so...

If you have any proves, I think you can post that accounts here.

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=245618
Jan 16, 2018 2:36 PM
Jan 2018
spacebishijesus said:
barumungu said:

yeah... yeah..

didn't say you were fake I said you were suspect. I just find it interesting. but checking out your post history I think I believe you're legit. also you didn't rebut my point regarding your objectivity and subjectivity point, which only exists so you can use these buzzwords and ergo attempt to let them argue your point for you without you applying or properly explaining why you invoked them to begin with.

I just don't think there's any merit to debate with a grade schooler who don't know exactly what they're saying.

bye. I have a life. Not like you.
Jan 16, 2018 2:36 PM

Nov 2016
Energetic-Nova said:

just curious.. what things would you consider when measuring to determine top anime
Jan 16, 2018 2:37 PM
May 2017
Paul said:
spacebishijesus said:

No worries, I don't need to judge your life as a whole, simply you as who you are on this site and your stance on the specific topic. Taking in the fact that you're asking me to leave the topic because I don't enjoy discussion about discouraging a fanbase only adds more to that list.

I didn't ask you to leave at all. I suggested that if it's not fun or worth your time then you don't have to be here.

"simply you as who you are on this site and your stance on the specific topic." that's absolutely fine, why raise it? even though it is misguided.

"discouraging a fanbase" tbh if more people didn't overinflate scores then maybe gintama would less often be the object of criticism and laughter. in that view my thread could have a positive outcome.
Jan 16, 2018 2:37 PM
May 2017
barumungu said:
spacebishijesus said:

I just don't think there's any merit to debate with a grade schooler who don't know exactly what they're saying.

bye. I have a life. Not like you.

from your poor english and lack of reponse I'm going to assume you're actually very young yourself.
Jan 16, 2018 2:38 PM

Feb 2015
Because they think it deserves that rating.
It's a great comedy that I can see why it has such a wide appeal and it's a great shonen when it's in it's serious arcs.
There's a lot more to grip you than the typical shonen.
The main characters' past for one is not just thrown out just like that like in most shonen. It's only getting hinted at and we're getting shown some really vague scenes over the course of the story, and you want to know more of course so each of those keeps you interested in the characters, alongside their quirkiness and absurdity that they have and how mature they can be when it actually counts.

Given the series length it would take time to explain why people like Gintama so much and it's not something I am up for atm. But it's not without a reason. I am not one of the people inflating it with 10s but I do think it's great and still deserves a solid 8 or 9.

But in short, Gintama fans give it 10s because they think it deserves a 10, to them, they're not over inflating anything.
Anime List|Manga List | Discord: Azureal#2963
Jan 16, 2018 2:39 PM

Dec 2016
barumungu said:
Adonc said:
Holy crap, what did I walk in on? I just wanted to call out this loser https://myanimelist.net/profile/Hesham1112 and I walk in on straight cancer. Well, from what I've seen, whenever a new Gintama season comes out people on both sides reactively spam scoring and that can be attributed to the fact that MAL allows scoring before anime starts airing. Either way, this will be the last season of Gintama, so...

If you have any proves, I think you can post that accounts here.

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=245618
Already did a long time ago, along with a bunch of other boosters/droppers :-)
Jan 16, 2018 2:40 PM
May 2017
kisb said:
Energetic-Nova said:

just curious.. what things would you consider when measuring to determine top anime

good production value or good use of staff and budget

engaging themes that are relevant and don't become overused or convoluted.

great sakuga moments

shows that don't pander

tight script

strong directorial intent.

if any of those apply to gintama then I just didn't like it enough despite that or I did'nt like how it was presented
Jan 16, 2018 2:41 PM
May 2017
kisb said:
Energetic-Nova said:

although that discussion is better suited to another thread I may make elsewhere at some point. what about you?
Jan 16, 2018 2:42 PM
May 2017
SigmaticDoc said:
Because they think it deserves that rating.
It's a great comedy that I can see why it has such a wide appeal and it's a great shonen when it's in it's serious arcs.
There's a lot more to grip you than the typical shonen.
The main characters' past for one is not just thrown out just like that like in most shonen. It's only getting hinted at and we're getting shown some really vague scenes over the course of the story, and you want to know more of course so each of those keeps you interested in the characters, alongside their quirkiness and absurdity that they have and how mature they can be when it actually counts.

Given the series length it would take time to explain why people like Gintama so much and it's not something I am up for atm. But it's not without a reason. I am not one of the people inflating it with 10s but I do think it's great and still deserves a solid 8 or 9.

But in short, Gintama fans give it 10s because they think it deserves a 10, to them, they're not over inflating anything.

confused; you suggest here "am not one of the people inflating it with 10s" that people inflate but then deny it with "Gintama fans give it 10s because they think it deserves a 10, to them, they're not over inflating anything"

what was the takeaway supposed to be?
Jan 16, 2018 2:46 PM

Nov 2016
spacebishijesus said:
kisb said:

great sakuga moments

shows that don't pander

tight script

if any of those apply to gintama then I just didn't like it enough despite that or I did'nt like how it was presented

sorry
meant like the formula for MAL itself to use for scoring top anime
because people keep saying its not representative and i dont understand that
Jan 16, 2018 2:46 PM

Mar 2017
spacebishijesus said:
danangafnan said:

People don't think like that though. Besides we've already had evidence somewhere in this threat to suggest that they are Gintama-fan run. But I agree that it is not likely 100% of Gintama fans, nor are they the only fanbase that do this.

Not that that is an excuse.

But it's not just you can accept it easily the fact that it was from Gintama fans. It can be anyone. And some fans already gave good reason why they loved it. The best reason so far was from the first Shanimembib comment. I know how haters feel because I was a hater too. My thought back then was "Wtf with this poop joke anime on top MAL". Like I said before the show is really good(even me and some fans as haters at the very first place) but it has really slow start, most fans get hooked after 50+ episodes. Is it worth? For me yes. Because Gintama has some of the best story arcs I've ever seen. Maybe you should ask some fans "How long does Gintama take to get good? Tell me your story about how you become Gintama fans" I bet you'll find that some fans have problem at the first 50+ episodes even drop it many times but after that it will get better and better. And you can find the reason why fans love it so much without making such hate and misunderstand.

Maybe some fans pushed you because they saw you have Konosuba in your favorite. So they thought that you would like Gintama too because they share the same type comedy(tsukkomi boke with dirty joke). The difference between Gintama and most comedy anime is Gintama can make jokes into drama, plot device, life lesson or tragedy and it really works well. And...I never found anime that can make a joke turned into tragedy and not just as simply comedy.
Jan 16, 2018 2:47 PM

Jul 2015
I'm not even going to weigh in on this topic because I couldn't get through 5 episodes so I don't understand the appeal.

BUT

Just wanted to point out I think this thread broke the record for most comments in the shortest amount of time. Its been a day and there's almost 300 comments. Shits wack.
Jan 16, 2018 2:48 PM
May 2017
kisb said:
spacebishijesus said:

great sakuga moments

shows that don't pander

tight script

sorry

I think as broken as the current system is we can't do much better. To make it less contrversial and contentious the steam model could be adopted (likes vs dislikes as opposed to scores) which is also more valid and telling than mere arbitrary numbers.
Jan 16, 2018 2:48 PM
May 2017
existentialist said:
I'm not even going to weigh in on this topic because I couldn't get through 5 episodes so I don't understand the appeal.

BUT

Just wanted to point out I think this thread broke the record for most comments in the shortest amount of time. Its been a day and there's almost 300 comments. Shits wack.

really? huh I'll take that. although the reason as to the amount of replies is pretty hysterical ngl lmao
Jan 16, 2018 2:50 PM

Jun 2014
Your title is partially correct.

Gintama is not inflated by the users who rate the show but rather the scoring system in place. A phenomenon known as the sequel effect has been ever present and probably won't change (although I think it should be abolished). Then there is the fact that many users who dropped the show early on won't have their rating considered due to the 20% viewing rule. This rule should not be adjusted as it encapsulates a majority of anime nowadays which are getting shorter in length. Long-running shows are fading out of existence.

Some Gintama fans just give the same rating to stay consistent, I understand where they are coming from but each season should be assessed independently. The Gintama sequels only have viewers who enjoyed the show which naturally produces higher scores as a result.

I enjoy the show but it getting constant headlines about it plaguing the top anime list is aggravating to say the least. Any topic relating to Gintama scores is a broken record at this point.
All credit goes to Sacred.
Jan 16, 2018 2:50 PM
May 2017
kisb said:
spacebishijesus said:

great sakuga moments

shows that don't pander

tight script

sorry

I completely agree it's not representative too. Angel beats is really high up there and NO ONE talks about it anymore. just because it was popular then doesn't mean it is now (same can be argued for gintama) and therefore the lists are so unrepresentative it's not funny
Jan 16, 2018 2:51 PM
May 2017
FireEmblemIke24 said:
Your title is partially correct.

Gintama is not inflated by the users who rate the show but rather the scoring system in place. A phenomenon known as the sequel effect has been ever present and probably won't change (although I think it should be abolished). Then there is the fact that many users who dropped the show early on won't have their rating considering due to the 20% viewing rule. This rule should not be adjusted as it encapsulates a majority of anime nowadays which are getting shorter in length. Long-running shows are fading out of existence.

Some Gintama fans just give the same rating to stay consistent, I understand where they are coming from but each season should be assessed independently. The Gintama sequels only have viewers who enjoyed the show which naturally produces higher scores as a result.

I enjoy the show but it getting constant headlines about it plaguing the top anime list is aggravating to say the least. Any topic relating to Gintama scores is a broken record at this point.

yeah we've had this discussed before and it's definitely a more extreme example that also seems to defeat the point of scores.
Jan 16, 2018 2:52 PM

Jul 2015
spacebishijesus said:
existentialist said:

BUT

really? huh I'll take that. although the reason as to the amount of replies is pretty hysterical ngl lmao

Yeah sifting through this thread is kind of hard, you are a patient man lol.
Jan 16, 2018 2:53 PM

Jan 2008
spacebishijesus said:
"discouraging a fanbase" tbh if more people didn't overinflate scores then maybe gintama would less often be the object of criticism and laughter. in that view my thread could have a positive outcome.

Which I've already mentioned in my first post.

Paul said:
There is nothing wrong with the scores, what's wrong is MAL's system of categorizing its franchise individually instead of as a whole. I'm sure someone's mentioned it already if not many, but Gintama suffers from the sequel effect on MAL, in which people who don't like it won't bother with the next and the ones who do continue and obviously the majority of who enjoy it will rate it highly.

In which you responded that you were already aware of this effect.

So using your own words, in that view, this thread is completely pointless if you already had the answer to your own topic.

Bottom line. There is no inflation. It's simply fans of the series enjoying what they watch and handling it the way MAL has it set up, so if you want anyone to blame, blame MAL's way of handling rating franchises.
Jan 16, 2018 2:53 PM
May 2017
existentialist said:
spacebishijesus said:

Yeah sifting through this thread is kind of hard, you are a patient man lol.

yeah I don't think enough people appreciate how difficult it is to talk to rabid fanboys whilst remaining civil, disinterested and well-mannered; I have no real ill-intent behind this thread at all in all honesty
Jan 16, 2018 2:54 PM
May 2017
Paul said:
spacebishijesus said:

Which I've already mentioned in my first post.

Paul said:
There is nothing wrong with the scores, what's wrong is MAL's system of categorizing its franchise individually instead of as a whole. I'm sure someone's mentioned it already if not many, but Gintama suffers from the sequel effect on MAL, in which people who don't like it won't bother with the next and the ones who do continue and obviously the majority of who enjoy it will rate it highly.

In which you responded that you were already aware of this effect.

So using your own words, in that view, this thread is completely pointless if you already had the answer to your own topic.

Bottom line. There is no inflation. It's simply fans of the series enjoying what they watch and handling it the way MAL has it set up, so if you want anyone to blame, blame MAL's way of handling rating franchises.

you're ignoring decent amounts of evidence that suggest otherwise, to the point that it is common census that Gintama scores are not fair or truly representative.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (7) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » The most overrated characters that everyone loves ( 1 2 3 )

Lizz_Aleister - Dec 1, 2020

122 by Semester1 »»
8 minutes ago

» Love live

Vapor_AU - 2 hours ago

20 by MasterTasuke »»
17 minutes ago

» Anime which quality considerably decreased with production of new series

Shabo-kun - 2 hours ago

5 by S4N »»
26 minutes ago

» Who is the greatest anime bro of all time?

SgtBateMan - 43 minutes ago

0 by SgtBateMan »»
43 minutes ago

» Similar sounding Anime opening/ending songs

erikkamirs - May 3, 2020

16 by Dumb »»
55 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.