Forum Settings
Forums

Is there a popular manga you just can't stand?

New
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »
Aug 4, 2014 4:17 PM

Oct 2013
I shouldn't judge One Piece because I haven't read it but it looks so stupid and not to mention it's 700+ chapters long as I'm writing this response. I don't like the artwork either, too goofy/kiddy looking.
Aug 4, 2014 8:37 PM

Mar 2012
KaniowskiKun101 said:
I shouldn't judge One Piece because I haven't read it but it looks so stupid and not to mention it's 700+ chapters long as I'm writing this response. I don't like the artwork either, too goofy/kiddy looking.

"I shouldn't judge", yep you should just stick to that until you give it a proper chance. I didn't understand the craze at first and was quite critical of it being over-hyped but now that I'm all caught up I can honestly say that it is my favorite Manga of all time.

Take this opportunity to go read it. If you think Bleach is so great, then you are in for a treat with One Piece. Objectively and Subjectively, it is by FAR the superior product.
Aug 5, 2014 9:22 AM

Nov 2012
fairy tail. because it sucks.
IF YOU LIKE DEATH PARADE, GO WATCH BARTENDER!!!
my animesongs chord thread : here bro
Aug 5, 2014 12:08 PM

Dec 2008
Yes, although I am rather chill about the matter these days.

Goodnight Punpun. It is hard to voice reservations when the majority of the reviewers gave it a positive score. The majority of those who believe it to be a timely masterpiece are currently in their late teens, so I am starting to question if I am simply outside of the target audience. I began reading it at the age of 19 and back then it was relevant to my life and my state of mind. But I grew as a person and my the things that bothered and made me anxious as a teenager seemed insignificant. I learned to accept myself and there was a new life for me. Punpun, on the other hand, did not rise above his self-absorbed behaviour and kept wallowing in self-pity.

Now that I look back on the experience, it has just hit me that Punpun himself was never interesting or particularly relatable to me as a character. What I most enjoyed about the manga was the deiction of the characters' childhood and early teenage years. I do enjoy reading series that depict the darker side of life because I know that it exists, but again, the line between what I believe to be a believable portrayal and a bad one is very thin. For example, I think that the collection of short stories by Endo Hiroki (with the exception of a few) is amazingly executed because the author and I are on the same wavelength, thus his narrative and ideas are relatable to me. I also enjoy the works of Furuya Minioru (Himizu, Ciguatera). I cannot explain it very well on a rational level because it has to do with emotional connection to the narrative and the characters.
Aug 5, 2014 7:52 PM

Mar 2014
Is terra formars actually racist? People have recommended the manga to me but I don't want to read it if it sucks.
sullynathanAug 5, 2014 7:56 PM
Aug 5, 2014 7:56 PM

Oct 2013
sullynathan said:
Is terra formars actually racist? People have recommended the manga to me but I don't want to read of it sucks.

I read the first volume it was pretty good. Characters die without getting that much development from what I've seen. The mangaka also seems to hate female characters in it. The anime will be releasing this year though. I don't think it's racist. People say it's racist because the roaches are black which is dumb imo.
Aug 5, 2014 8:00 PM

Mar 2014
I've only read a few manga and none of them are inherently bad in my opinion. Right now I have to say that I can't stand the direction that muira is taking berserk. It seems like he is dragging the series on for years and years with little amounts of chapters and no end in sight.
Aug 5, 2014 8:13 PM

Oct 2013
sullynathan said:
I've only read a few manga and none of them are inherently bad in my opinion. Right now I have to say that I can't stand the direction that muira is taking berserk. It seems like he is dragging the series on for years and years with little amounts of chapters and no end in sight.

I told a lot of people that I prefer story progression over good art any day, because that's what I seem to be getting in these chapters good art. The manga is going on too much breaks it just makes me loose interest in the series and that's sad since it's one of my favorites.
Aug 5, 2014 9:48 PM

Sep 2013
sullynathan said:
Is terra formars actually racist? People have recommended the manga to me but I don't want to read it if it sucks.
well they only say racist thing to china, terra formar is quietly enjoyable for me because i like bugs
Aug 6, 2014 1:02 AM

Mar 2014
keragamming said:
sullynathan said:

I told a lot of people that I prefer story progression over good art any day, because that's what I seem to be getting in these chapters good art. The manga is going on too much breaks it just makes me loose interest in the series and that's sad since it's one of my favorites.

I'm not losing interest yet in berserk because it takes little effort to read manga and I'm a patient person. I just feel like there is a lot left to be covered in the berserk manga and muira doesn't pace himself correctly. If you're a writer you should at least have a deadline to release things.
At this pace of releasing manga chapters whenever he feels like berserk could go on for another 10 years.
Sep 10, 2014 3:31 AM

Apr 2012
Pknoctis said:
OreImo. The genre just disgusts me.

...and what genre might that be? Romance? Comedy?

Pond said:
Nisekoi. I used to genuinely like it but I'm basically just hate-reading it now. Nothingofnotehashappenedforoverfiftychapters.....

Agree'd. They keep introducing crappy characters then don't bother fleshing them out. I want more focus on Chitoge, Seishirou and Marika.
Sep 10, 2014 3:42 AM

Oct 2008
GE: good ending, just makes me puke....
Sep 10, 2014 10:25 AM

Feb 2014
Most shoujo, specifically Vampire Knight and OHSHC.

Sep 11, 2014 3:40 AM

Mar 2012
I hate, despise and curse Kuroko no Basket. 276 chapters of utter sh*t that i read until the very end because of reasons that are unknown even to me, i hate myself for reading that idiotic manga, i also cry myself to sleep because i finished it, and the worst are the people all over praising it because of how "good" it is. I could literally talk all day about how much it sucks, i'm not even kidding here.
Sep 13, 2014 12:38 PM
Sep 2014
Some of my friends recommended One Piece to me, I watched the first episode, and flicked through a few pages of the manga but wasn't hooked onto it. I'm not going to judge though, because that was 1-2 years ago. I'll give it another try this year.

One series I didn't like was Clannad. I'm going to get a lot of backlash for this, but I don't know. Maybe I had a lot of expectations for it and it didn't meet them, or because it was a high-school setting, but I couldn't stand it at all.
no mom this isnt a phase
i am getting rid of all the titans
つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 13, 2014 12:42 PM

Jan 2013
Bleach
Sep 19, 2014 6:44 PM

Jun 2014
Yeah, a lot, like naruto, it's too long though it's good.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 19, 2014 6:46 PM

Sep 2012
I liked Kimi no Iru Machi all the way up until I finished it.

Then I looked back and marveled in horror at the garbage I had wasted a significant portion of my life on.
Sep 20, 2014 2:02 PM
Jul 2018
One Piece, Naruto, Bleach, Fairy Tail. I don't really have a "reason" that I can create for you, but I just find them dull, and unappealing.
Sep 21, 2014 2:48 PM

Apr 2014
Any manga series where homosexual ships are formed by the fanbase. Completely kills the mood for me.
Oct 21, 2014 5:40 AM
Oct 2014
Mirai Nikki: the mc, yuno and everything is just urgh ಢ_ಥ
Oct 21, 2014 5:44 AM

May 2013
+1 to Nisekoi because I really enjoyed the anime but after reading the manga, I am positive that the author is milking it.
The world shall know the truth soon.
Oct 21, 2014 7:35 AM
Jan 2014
Fairy Tail. I will never understand how people can enjoy that crap.
I had so much hope for this manga in the beginning... it's a shame, really.
Oct 21, 2014 9:58 AM

Nov 2012
All of the ecchis which dominate like all the top spots.
And Fairy Tail, childish and not creative.
Oct 21, 2014 12:32 PM
Dec 2013
Beelzebub. Couldn't even finish reading the first chapter.
Oct 21, 2014 12:33 PM

Dec 2013
Hum... Not really.
FragOutFire said:

Why am I a Berserk fan? All I ever experience is pain.

We are in the eclipse and Miura has sacrificed us
Oct 22, 2014 5:12 PM

Mar 2014
One Piece
Bleach
Naruto
Shaman King
Oct 23, 2014 1:21 PM

Oct 2014
Naruto,
I used to really like it,
but after the war started......
you know the rest.
Nov 15, 2014 3:12 PM

Oct 2013
one piece. i can't stand how the mangaka is not original with characters, he just picks a known symbol or personality and puts it in the story, not to mention he doesn't stop so there are more people and more arcs.

Nov 15, 2014 6:00 PM

Jun 2012
shinomonogatari said:
one piece. i can't stand how the mangaka is not original with characters, he just picks a known symbol or personality and puts it in the story, not to mention he doesn't stop so there are more people and more arcs.

I don't think we read the same manga
Jan 2, 2015 7:00 PM
Dec 2014
Toradora!!! I hate it burn it with fire!
One does not simply watch anime.
Jan 2, 2015 8:43 PM

Nov 2014
^I actually felt the same way about Toradora, until I found out it was based off a light novel AND the anime is ahead of the manga. So while I did not enjoy the manga very much, I plan to watch the anime in hopes of a better ending rather than a hiatus.

Also Maid-sama. Yes it was funny, but the male protagonist was goddamn awful. I was revolted. I almost want to classify it as a shonen manga because any girl worth rooting for would never let that guy get his hands on her.

And kinda Tonari Kaibutsu-kun (think that was the name).. Not exactly popular, but it did get an anime adaptation. Stupid characters. bleugh.
Jan 2, 2015 8:47 PM

Sep 2013
shinomonogatari said:

+1

Even the main characters are 2 dimensional at best, even after so many chapters.
Jan 2, 2015 8:49 PM

Nov 2013
Battle Royale. Art is so bad to the point where it makes my head hurt. And the pacing is awful - the annoying character background story telling inbetween battles and the unengaging walls of text that follow in the midst of it
Jan 2, 2015 9:12 PM

Nov 2014
luteum said:
shinomonogatari said:

+1

Even the main characters are 2 dimensional at best, even after so many chapters.

Examples of these known symbols/personalities?
This should be fairly obvious, but they'd have to be examples from series after One Piece was serialized or at least after the character was introduced..
Jan 3, 2015 1:46 AM

Nov 2014
Oyasumi punpun & Kimi no iru machi (not really popular but people liked it a lot)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 3, 2015 1:53 AM

Jan 2014
I tried to read Bleach, but, somehow, it just isn't my taste. The art wasn't really bad, maybe I'll give it a shot again. Also finished Naruto,but almost dropped it because those battles were uninteresting.
Jan 3, 2015 8:41 AM

Jan 2015
Attack on Titan, the action scenes are just bad, I can't understand anything! And I can't distinguish characters because of the crappy drawing. I liked the story, though, maybe I'll watch the anime, I heard it's better in those things.
Jan 3, 2015 11:55 AM

Jul 2014
Yelenicus said:
Yes, although I am rather chill about the matter these days.

Goodnight Punpun. ...

Oh, very interesting. I had a lot of reservations about reading Punpun, mainly because people always post the picture, where Punpun is holding hands with his friends, so I thought that it was some hipster manga about friendship. In the end I liked the story. I can't say that I've experiences the same sort of angst that Punpun did, but I liked how the mangaka showed that sometimes a person simply can't get over his or hers own psychological problems. Also, unfortunately, I understood most of the Punpun's symbolic transformations. Though I didn't like the latest part - I would prefer it to go down in a darker, bloodier way.
On the other hand I can't get into Ciguatera, no matter how many times I try. And I know that people detest Freesia that I absolutely love.

I think that's how psychological works are - you either get them or not. Doesn't even depend on quality.
Though now that I think about it, if it rang true for you at some point and then you get over the same problems yourself, MC can be especially irritating.

----------------------
As for the original question, there's a lot. I dislike many shoujo titles (I guess, I am simply too old for them...), some shounen (One Piece and Fairy Tail included, btw), most of the BL subtext manga. Among the latter I hate Loveless with passion, I just can't stand the combination of fetishes used in it. I guess, that's the only manga that causes almost physical revulsion in me.

Oh, and I don't get the Hitman Reborn's popularity at all.

tanteiRE said:
And kinda Tonari Kaibutsu-kun (think that was the name).. Not exactly popular, but it did get an anime adaptation. Stupid characters. bleugh.

I agree. I've just tried to read it (as a way to getting back into shoujo), and it really is kinda... not ok in many ways.

Many people mentioned SnK. I believe it's logical, since it's poorly drawn.
Jan 3, 2015 1:48 PM

Oct 2014
Doesn't look like there's any other Tokyo Ghoul manga haters besides me. It just didn't click for me, maybe because I watched the Anime first? It's always bewildered me that Tokyo Ghoul reached Shingeki no Kyojin-ish levels of popularity.

And Beezlebub as well. Read 3 or so volumes and I didn't find the comedy appealing.
Jan 5, 2015 1:10 AM
Dec 2014
Shirayukishi said:
All of the ecchis which dominate like all the top spots.
And Fairy Tail, childish and not creative.

It's funny you mention it. Haha someone asked me if Fairy Tail should be on Toonami(Late night show for anime viewers) and I said No. It is to childish and I can't see it being in what people call the top 3 now that Naruto is gone.
Jan 5, 2015 1:11 AM

Dec 2014
The big 3 shonen[Naruto, Fairy Tail, Bleach]
Jan 5, 2015 1:19 AM
Dec 2014
tanteiRE said:
^I actually felt the same way about Toradora, until I found out it was based off a light novel AND the anime is ahead of the manga. So while I did not enjoy the manga very much, I plan to watch the anime in hopes of a better ending rather than a hiatus.

Also Maid-sama. Yes it was funny, but the male protagonist was goddamn awful. I was revolted. I almost want to classify it as a shonen manga because any girl worth rooting for would never let that guy get his hands on her.

I found the female protagonist from Toradora beyond unlikable. She was rude and just plan bitchy and her woo is me outlook on life got old fast, I can't see what guy in his right mind would want a girl like that. I preferred her best friend hehe. Don't get me wrong I like a tsundere as much as the next guy but she was horrible personality wise. :3

Maid sama the guy Usui was a little extreme to put it nicely. He was a stalker and was just toooo perfect. It made me roll my eyes alot.

Tonari Kaibustu is my weak spot however. I fell in love with Haru so maybe that why I don't hate the show par say. But if he was taken out I might agree with you about its blahh factor XD
Jan 5, 2015 1:55 AM
Jul 2018
Agree with everyone who said Kenichi is garbage.
Jan 5, 2015 1:58 AM
Oct 2014
Fairy Tail.....
Jan 5, 2015 5:09 AM

Mar 2014
N201_ASYLUM said:
Deadman Wonderland

As a fan of Deadman Wonderland, I have to agree that it's overrated. Although, I have to disagree about its being
, as you said in your spoiler. It's far, far from being that. For me, it's a fun series with some compelling characters. It's nothing special or deep, for sure, but it's enjoyable. My biggest issue is with the demoting of certain characters: Yo and his sister, plus the lady with the sword, who became a walking pair of boobs. The fact that I can't remember the names is testament to how little the mangaka seemed to care about them...

As for me, here are the ones I didn't like:

Attack on Titan (http://myanimelist.net/manga/23390/Shingeki_no_Kyojin)
So, so many people raved about the anime - and, I admit, it looked pretty interesting to me - and I took the bait. Silly, silly me. I've only read one volume, but I can safely say that I will not be going back to this. I must admit that I found the premise compelling (though far from original, in terms of a post-apocalyptic, pseudo-historical setting, and a settlement surrounded by a wall), the artwork different enough to be interesting, and the design of the Titans to be fantastic.

However, everything else felt... flat. The characters were boring and very much the same as characters I'd seen before. The plot felt derivative, and the deaths felt pointless and empty; I just didn't care.

It's a shame, really, but there it is...

Blue Exorcist (http://myanimelist.net/manga/13492/Ao_no_Exorcist)
I read one volume, and it did nothing for me. It was derivative and predictable. As a reader, I'm very interested in demons and the like, but this felt sterile and didn't bring anything special to the table. I won't be going back to this.

Soul Eater (http://myanimelist.net/manga/908/Soul_Eater)
What is it? Really, what is it that makes this so 'good'? One volume only, and I loathe it. There was just no substance. It was madcap, frantic, almost scatological in its humour, and I just couldn't latch on to anything. Perhaps it was the fact that the majority of the first volume was a 'prologue'. As a prospective writer, I know that prologues do more harm than good in fiction, and this was one of those times. It was not necessary, and it seriously hurt the manga.

And don't get me started on the ecchi!
Bittenfeld said:
To tell you my honest feelings, Admiral Müller, as the groom at a wedding ceremony, the Kaiser is simply just a handsome man, I'm afraid to say. But as the supreme fleet admiral who leads entire fleets, he's really a godly person. Don't you think so, too?
Müller said:
I think he's quite godly as a groom, too.
Jan 5, 2015 7:06 AM

Oct 2013
case closed. this monotone panel structure...

Jan 5, 2015 7:57 AM

Aug 2013
nisekoi
Jan 5, 2015 8:06 AM

Feb 2014
I hate everything published in WSJ. That cancerous magazine hasn't published one good manga yet it's the most successful one. (faith in Japanese lost)

Fairy Tail, such bullshit I can't even...

Shingeki No Kyoujin - not on Fairy tails garbage level but I can't stand the praise it gets. Maybe if drawing was better and lines clearer. I'm lost 70% of time.
slovak125Jan 5, 2015 8:22 AM
Between the adult world and the world of kids,

there, Holyland exists.
Jan 5, 2015 8:08 AM
Oct 2014
slovak125 said:
I hate everything published in WSJ. That cancerous magazine hasn't published one good manga yet it's the most successful one. (faith in Japanese lost)

Fairy Tail, such bullshit I can't even...

Shingeki No Kyoujin - not on Fairy tails garbage level but I can't stand the praise it gets. Maybe if drawing was better and lines clearer. I'm lost 70% of time.

Everything?
There's: Ruroni Kenshin, Yu Yu hakusho, HxH and Gintama which are all great
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »

More topics from this board

» Tamanoi Peromekuri

GinIonSui - 6 minutes ago

0 by GinIonSui »»
6 minutes ago

Sticky: » The 'Help Identifying This Manga/Character' Thread v3 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Mar 19, 2022

1099 by actual_human »»
4 hours ago

» When and how did you get introduced to manga?

ColdBlackTeaFan - Jun 13

13 by Zorpanur »»
6 hours ago

» What manga by junji ito has nudity?

KcmcPro - Jun 14

5 by asoyboy »»
6 hours ago

» When do you consider a manga to be "long" ( 1 2 )

Curlybrace101 - Sep 3, 2023

75 by Synrax »»
Yesterday, 2:06 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.