Forum Settings
Forums

What is the most intelligent anime you've seen?

New
Pages (18) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Nov 12, 2012 1:18 PM

Oct 2012
thesums said:
Basically my favorite Animes which is good all the way through. I will rank the top 4
1. Sword Art Online:
Never have I been close to crying in films/anime/drama, need I say more? The whole meaning behind the Anime is really deep, and if you like romance, be prepared to be blown away. (Bonus: if you are addicted to MMOs this might help you cure this addiction because the MMO depicted in the Anime series will make your generic MMO, guild wars 2, Tera, WOW look like crap)

2. Death Note:
Many already put this as top, and I agree. While it has a good ending it is not one which will make you emotional...

3. Code Geas
Kind of similar to Death Note in ideology but plays out and ends different.

4. Gurren Lagann
This one needs a little time before it really gets to you, so keep an open mind for a few episodes. Despite it being not so famous, many who have seen it actually rank it as the #1. This one has a romance theme like SAO.

So...somehow intelligent = emotional?
If that was the case, you'll probably love the 'deepness' in Clannad...I think that might blow you away more than SAO.
Still though, what exactly is the justification of being "intelligent" when SAO is mostly about a guy trying to be macho man inside a game to get his girl at the end?

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
Nov 12, 2012 1:22 PM

Jun 2009
ghost in the shell

me liek ice cream
"everyone knows that the last toes are always the coldest to go."

Telavators-the mars volta
Nov 12, 2012 1:25 PM

Aug 2012
I would consider Legend of the Galactic Heroes to be the most intelligent anime I haven't actually seen. However, when discussing anime I've actually seen, I think that honor goes to Shin Mazinger. There's no hidden message or anything in it that needs to be over-analyzed. Besides, I've seen enough Gundam to know that anime with a message is often times pretentious, that was the worst thing about Gundam 00. However, the storytelling in Shin Mazinger is brilliant. Instead of following the usual cliche storytelling directions, it by far surprises the viewer. The dialogue is so fantastically written, it's filled to the brim with in-jokes and fourth-wall breakings.
Nov 12, 2012 2:31 PM
Sep 2012
Death Note, for sure.
Nov 12, 2012 3:12 PM
Sep 2012
Blood-C, the only acceptable answer.
Nov 12, 2012 3:13 PM

Jan 2009
"Intelligent" is too much but...Monster.
I have yet to see Legend of the Galactic Heroes.
Nov 12, 2012 3:42 PM
Sep 2009
Blares said:
id have to say if you really think about it mirai nikki and angel beats!

I hate to crap on someone else's opinion... but really?!

Anyway, I would have to say Ghost in the Shell. It is a stunning piece of sci-fi, it deals with very complex themes and provides a lot of food for thought. There are a lot of shows I would say are just as intelligently constructed, but few as intellectually driven, at least of what I've seen.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
Nov 12, 2012 3:45 PM

Apr 2012
Death note and Ghost in shell

Still gotta watch Steins; Gate
Nov 13, 2012 8:34 AM

Oct 2009
Yuru Yuri. Because ...
The truth behind Yuru Yuri world.
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Nov 13, 2012 9:27 AM

Dec 2009
Definitely not Monster.

Steins;Gate if every fucking thing has a logical answer. Nothing otherwise.

haven't watched LoGH yet.
Nov 16, 2012 5:28 AM
Oct 2012
hmm death note, code geass, steins gate, and most recently one outs.(pretty much all cuz of the main character)
Nov 16, 2012 5:36 AM

Feb 2011
I'd go with Death Note
Nov 16, 2012 6:39 AM

Oct 2011
Fukumoto's works(Kaiji, Akagi) felt pretty intelligent... though I'm not getting that intelligent part so I'm just throwing em out here because they mind boggled me. Besides, thriller games are "intelligent"... right? It's all about mind games.
Nov 16, 2012 6:58 AM

Jun 2012
Death Note, Higurashi - no naku koro ni, Madoka Magica are all very "intelligent" (whatever that means)
In some sense: "Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya" is also quite interesting.
All hail the Nutcracker Queen!
Nov 16, 2012 8:30 AM

Dec 2011
Jinrui Wa Suitai shimashita.
Nov 16, 2012 8:46 AM

Jan 2012
Death Note,Gallery fake,Spiral,I need to watch Lotgh too
Nov 16, 2012 8:49 AM

Nov 2012
Naruto. Hands down.
Nov 16, 2012 9:24 AM

Nov 2010
One Piece.
Nov 16, 2012 9:28 AM

Nov 2012
IntroverTurtle said:
One Piece.

I second that choice. One Piece and Naruto are the most intelligent animes of all times. Hardly arguable.
Nov 16, 2012 10:01 AM

Jul 2011
Personally, I'd have to say

- Texhnolyze
- Neon Genesis Evangelion
- Shigurui
- Legend of the Galactic Heroes
- Monster
- FLCL

If you'd like some more recommendations feel free to pm me n_n
Nov 16, 2012 10:36 AM

Oct 2008
Well, I'm on the Naruto wagon, surprisingly (even to myself...)
Death Note is another one.
I actually found Clannad and Air pretty intelligent too; or maybe I'm just stupid as fuck.
行けー幼子兵器!あれは木端微塵に粉砕しろ!
Nov 16, 2012 10:48 AM

Aug 2008
Fullmetal Alchemist.

If you study political theory or international relations at college level then you will understand why.
Nov 16, 2012 11:01 AM

Nov 2012
Rei-chan said:
Fullmetal Alchemist.

If you study political theory or international relations at college level then you will understand why.

I LOL'D. It's like arrogantly claiming that Full Metal Alchemist was meant for an audience that studies/studied "political theory or international relations at college level". This is revoltingly preposterous, yet utterly hilarious.
Nov 16, 2012 11:47 AM

Aug 2008
Sacrophagus said:

I LOL'D. It's like arrogantly claiming that Full Metal Alchemist was meant for an audience that studies/studied "political theory or international relations at college level". This is revoltingly preposterous, yet utterly hilarious.

But it clearly is not meant for politics/IR students and I didn't say that either so have fun missing the point. Arakawa herself even mentioned interviewing war veterans and researching the politics of war before creating FMA so I fail to see what is "preposterous" about that.
Nov 16, 2012 12:05 PM

Nov 2012
I wouldn't try to engage a battle of wits with such a ludicrous rhetoric if I were you.

I don't care what Arakawa said. YOU said : " If you study political theory or international relations at college level then you will understand why." meaning those who don't , won't find it as thought provoking and intelligent. Don't you feel ashamed ? You're CLEARLY insinuating that no one will fully comprehend or truely acknowledge of FMA intellectuallism only by holding that qualification.

If it would give you an ego-boost , feel free to go on with your burlesque diarrhea.

P.S : I'm no surgeon. Therefore Monster must be shit. Right ?
Nov 16, 2012 12:07 PM

Nov 2012
Death Note

Code Geass is not bad, too.
Nov 16, 2012 12:20 PM

Aug 2010
Hunter x Hunter and Serial Experiments Lain.
Bum Bum Dum Dum

Nov 16, 2012 2:51 PM

Aug 2008
Sacrophagus said:
I wouldn't try to engage a battle of wits with such a ludicrous rhetoric if I were you.

I don't care what Arakawa said. YOU said : " If you study political theory or international relations at college level then you will understand why." meaning those who don't , won't find it as thought provoking and intelligent. Don't you feel ashamed ? You're CLEARLY insinuating that no one will fully comprehend or truely acknowledge of FMA intellectuallism only by holding that qualification.

If it would give you an ego-boost , feel free to go on with your burlesque diarrhea.

There is a difference between studying politics AT college level and studying it IN college. You could watch a "college level" lecture/debate on youtube or on TV and come out with the same level of understanding as someone at a university. At not one point did I say someone would need a degree to understand FMA. The point of this topic was "intelligence" and I chose to interpret that as academic intelligence, of course there are many other forms of intelligence which others raised and all have equal merit. You were the one who chose to equate college level with qualifications, not me. Do not hold me responsible for your own preconceived notions of academic intelligence. To me college level just means a slightly higher level which is very accessible to anyone with a strong enough interest, considering the wealth of free resources on the internet regardless of a person's qualifications. You clearly have a chip on your shoulder, don't take it out on me :).

And I haven't watched Monster so idk, it may be bad. It's probably a good thing that you aren't a surgeon if you are that quick to jump to the wrong conclusion.
reiberryNov 16, 2012 2:56 PM
Nov 16, 2012 3:07 PM

Nov 2012
Rei-chan said:
Sacrophagus said:

There is a difference between studying politics AT college level and studying it IN college. You could watch a "college level" lecture/debate on youtube or on TV and come out with the same level of understanding as someone at a university. At not one point did I say someone would need a degree to understand FMA. The point of this topic was "intelligence" and I chose to interpret that as academic intelligence, of course there are many other forms of intelligence which others raised and all have equal merit. You were the one who chose to equate college level with qualifications, not me. Do not hold me responsible for your own preconceived notions of academic intelligence. To me college level just means a slightly higher level which is very accessible to anyone with a strong enough interest, considering the wealth of free resources on the internet regardless of a person's qualifications. You clearly have a chip on your shoulder, don't take it out on me :).

And I haven't watched Monster so idk, it may be bad. It's probably a good thing that you aren't a surgeon if you are that quick to jump to the wrong conclusion.

Nah , I'm en engineer. I'm also a troll.

Just brain teasing you as I do with others since your reply was notoriously interesting and I had to choose and antagonist perspective in order to do so hahaha
( I can go on by debating on the forms of intelligence eloquently but I have rehearsals tomorrow morning before going to the shitty studio and record some shitty guitar solos and stuff like that XDD )

Great conversation nonetheless (y)
Nov 16, 2012 3:09 PM

Oct 2012
Sacrophagus said:
Rei-chan said:
Sacrophagus said:

Just brain teasing you as I do with others since your reply was notoriously interesting and I had to choose and antagonist perspective in order to do so hahaha
( I can go on by debating on the forms of intelligence eloquently but I have rehearsals tomorrow morning before going to the shitty studio and record some shitty guitar solos and stuff like that XDD )

At least this guy is honest upfront.

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
Nov 16, 2012 3:51 PM

Aug 2008
Sacrophagus said:

Bloody engineering students, you always manage to rattle me. Pity I'll be missing out on the rest of your argument, I'm sure it would have been life changing :P

I could also do with a distraction from writing my assignment...
Nov 16, 2012 4:01 PM

Nov 2012
Rei-chan said:
Sacrophagus said:

Bloody engineering students, you always manage to rattle me. Pity I'll be missing out on the rest of your argument, I'm sure it would have been life changing :P

I could also do with a distraction from writing my assignment...

Hahaha! I know ! I keep procrastinating tasks and here I am, wanting only to check on my downloads, I find myself coming back to the forum :P
I'm adding you as a friend , would be great to have a deep philosophical conversation with you xD (y)
Dec 2, 2012 9:59 PM

Nov 2012
Will there ever be an anime as intelligent as the HBO series "The Wire"?
Dec 2, 2012 10:03 PM

Nov 2012
Steins;gate
Dec 2, 2012 10:30 PM

Jun 2009
death note, code geass, gundam wing is pretty intelligent too
Dec 2, 2012 11:49 PM

Oct 2012
Paranoia Agent, Satoshi Kon knew what he was doing.

Dec 2, 2012 11:55 PM

Sep 2012
One outs, Lain (not sure if OP meant logical), DN, CG, Akagi, don't really find much anime clever, more of a manga thing.
Dec 3, 2012 12:00 AM

Apr 2012
One outs
Dec 3, 2012 5:58 AM

Mar 2011
Code Geass, Spice and Wolf, Death Note
Haven't seen Tatami Galaxy and Legend of Galactic Heroes yet
Will try
Dec 3, 2012 7:35 AM

Oct 2012
From what I've seen, somewhat smart would be death note, steins gate and maybe code geass. But a thougt-provoking and thematically intelligent anime would have to be Kara no Kyoukai. Really made me stand and think. But seeing as i have yet to watch shows like LoGH, my pov is limited
Dec 3, 2012 7:50 AM

May 2012
Im never going to understand how Death Note is considered "intellectual" show, Naruto makes you think more about who Tobi was. So I guess all shows with 'whodunit'.
Dec 3, 2012 8:00 AM
Jul 2012
Hm... I would say that two recent animes that looked very intelligent to me are Hyouka and Shin Sekai Yori.

Well, I just loved the way all of the elements of an episode or an arc would fit together for the resolve of the mystery at the end.

And Shin Sekai Yori can look like a bunch of creepy and nonsensical episodes, but actually, if you have some notion about biology and evolution, it actually makes sense. After all, it's interesting to see what would happen with a humanity with the presence of psychokinesis. And if you compare the way society on Shin Sekai Yori works with the society of bonobos, they are, in fact, very similar.

I guess I should mention Steins;Gate. Ok, sending messages to the future with a microwave and a cellphone is probably impossible, but I actually could see all of that happening for real.
Dec 3, 2012 8:16 AM

Apr 2012
How do you assess the intelligence of something like K-ON? Is it for people who don't care about the big questions, or people who have figured them out to their satisfaction and don't need them in their entertainment?

Well, if you want things which aggressively show their intelligence off: well, I still don't know. How can you say whether Now and Then, Here and There or Lain is more intelligent? Even Lain or Haibane Renmei? There are just too many ways to exhibit it. I mean, what about Erin? Or Dennou Coil? How can you say any of those is objectively less intelligent than any other?

Edit: see, I just looked at the previous post, and Shin Sekai Yori, that's another good one.

(Death Note I think you'd describe as 'clever'. Which is a little bit different. (Until it stops even being that.))
logopolisDec 3, 2012 8:19 AM
Dec 16, 2012 6:40 PM

Dec 2012
Cowboy Bebop, it has a lot of substance behind it while still being accessable and extremely entertaining
Dec 16, 2012 7:29 PM

Sep 2012
I would say Spice and Wolf 1&2
Dec 16, 2012 8:51 PM

Sep 2012
FMA Brotherhood, or Code Geass.
Dec 16, 2012 9:01 PM

Nov 2012
FLCL.... I'm dead fkn serious

Edit: k jks
Dec 16, 2012 9:58 PM

Sep 2012
Monster
Texhnolyze
Dec 16, 2012 10:04 PM

Jul 2012
Macklovin said:
Hmmm. Maybe Texhnolyze?

PoeticJustice said:
Texhnolyze, nothing compares IMO.

Thank you for this, I'm interested.

Of course I have nothing to add that hasn't already been said. Perhaps Ergo Proxy, but only 5 episodes in it's hard to say for sure.
Pages (18) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» What do you think next-gen Ecchi anime could be?

Anjuro - 57 minutes ago

4 by Zarutaku »»
40 seconds ago

» Write your takes in anime and I'll prove you're incorrect. ( 1 2 3 )

Gashadokur0 - May 21

125 by Jipsi »»
6 minutes ago

» what is one popular anime character trope you're tired and sick of ??

ame - 3 hours ago

11 by LoveYourSmile »»
7 minutes ago

» When did the term “Japanimation” started to become “anime” and what was the cause of that?

funtime43_tr - Yesterday

29 by traed »»
25 minutes ago

» What's the most interesting thing that came out of an anime girl's mouth?

Catalano - May 21

25 by Jackof-allspades »»
45 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.