Forum Settings
Forums

Most overhyped anime, that doesn't deserve that popularity

New
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »
Jan 7, 2022 1:27 PM
Mar 2021
Tokyo ghoul is just random edgy crap slammed into 12 episodes with trash characters and an a terrible plot

Future Diary is basically overrated for the same reasons as tokyo ghoul

Anohana was mid

im sorry
hi
Jan 7, 2022 1:38 PM

Nov 2020
Renn said:
MarkVijet said:
Demon Slayer, Fairy Tail
You shouldn't forget that this thread simply asked for your opinions, not objective statements. If you dislike an anime and can't understand why others may like it, it's overrated in your opinion
Then just say you dislike it instead of using a term that implies everyone who likes it is wrong?
You can of course, but this thread specifically asked you to name overhyped anime. And besides, MAL's forums would be a really boring place if everyone always wrote in an inoffensive manner, don't you think?
Jan 7, 2022 1:40 PM

Apr 2019
EVA, elitists make it out to be some masterpiece talking about symbolism and shit. gave it the best chance I could give it by watching half way through. just couldn't get engaged.
Jan 7, 2022 3:13 PM

Oct 2008
Steins;Gate - I watched "Black Rock Shooter" and I will say that the character design there, ONLY LOOKS GOOD THERE. Hououin Kyouma is a bad MC.

Gintama - A parody, see I can forgive "One Piece" for being both ugly and boring. But for Gintama to spit on it's pretty character design, by being unfunny to the point of cringe and having more filler than plot episodes, that's a sin.
Jan 7, 2022 3:37 PM
Chosen
Jan 2016
For me, it's easily SAO. I just can't stand how the plot goes from the game to the substandard romance plot. Just wasn't for me. I wish it would've explored more of the game than it did, like the more recent isekai shows.

I also think Hellsing is a terrible show with one of the absolute best MCs in history. Outside of Alucard, that show was a snoozefest.
Jan 7, 2022 4:00 PM

May 2019
mb cowboy bebop

but honestly, my hero academia. it's story isn't the most innovative and it's kinda fallen off yeah. and when i see how low mha's quality is compared to other hidden gems i just become disappointed
Jan 7, 2022 7:07 PM

Mar 2020
AnimeDownUnder said:
Trynalbe said:
yeah, same goes with jojo and one piece

I don't think the jojo's or one piece fans are bad, Jojo fans are just funny and they don't take themselves seriously everything is just a joke and a meme or reference it's pretty light hearted but the anime is actually good so it's justifiable fanboyism.

One piece basically at first it may sound like they're trying to make one piece sound like the best anime ever, but that's probably because it's definitely one of the best. So once again justifiable fanboyism

When it's the honest truth then it's not toxic, it's only toxic if there is delusion involved and when they start to talk bad about other anime to make their sound better. One piece & jojo's fans don't do this, instead they just defend their anime as being good, not toxic at all

I didn't say that jojo and OP fans are toxic but well you got the point. You know, as far as jojo fans could go toxic, they would never going as far as AoT fans where they sending hate and threat to the studio, or maybe harassing their staff. Mostly jojo fans treat jojo low quality animation as a joke where AoT fans treat low quality animation in AoT as a weapon to hate staff who made it.
Jan 7, 2022 8:37 PM

Aug 2017
Erased is the most overrated anime ever made. It's trash.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Jan 7, 2022 9:23 PM

Mar 2017
Overlord. The MC and everyone close to him deserve to die a horrible death.

Takagi-san. The two main characters are a bully and an idiot.
A møøse once bit my sister...
Jan 7, 2022 10:46 PM
Aug 2013
Trynalbe said:
AnimeDownUnder said:

I don't think the jojo's or one piece fans are bad, Jojo fans are just funny and they don't take themselves seriously everything is just a joke and a meme or reference it's pretty light hearted but the anime is actually good so it's justifiable fanboyism.

One piece basically at first it may sound like they're trying to make one piece sound like the best anime ever, but that's probably because it's definitely one of the best. So once again justifiable fanboyism

When it's the honest truth then it's not toxic, it's only toxic if there is delusion involved and when they start to talk bad about other anime to make their sound better. One piece & jojo's fans don't do this, instead they just defend their anime as being good, not toxic at all

I didn't say that jojo and OP fans are toxic but well you got the point. You know, as far as jojo fans could go toxic, they would never going as far as AoT fans where they sending hate and threat to the studio, or maybe harassing their staff. Mostly jojo fans treat jojo low quality animation as a joke where AoT fans treat low quality animation in AoT as a weapon to hate staff who made it.

I don't think AOT has ever suffered the problem of low quality animation, maybe different animation style that is different and changing the characters design now that is an issue. Since it breaks the consistency from manga to previous seasons and all. But overall the only thing bad about the final season of AOT was just the story was kinda boring at that part and focusing on characters nobody cares about like that annoying girl Gabby
~AnimeDownUnder~

Jan 7, 2022 11:30 PM
Jul 2018
The fanservice anime like Dragon Maid.
Jan 8, 2022 12:10 AM

Mar 2012
Fruits Basket - the drama is overdone, author is literally begging the viewers to feel sad for the characters, every character that shows up in the shows has a bad past, even Tohru's friends who are not part of the whole Souma and curse still have a sad past. Tohru herself is a bland and boring character with no personality other than being overly forgiving and good to everyone plus she has a really annoying way of speaking and weird obsession with "poor cat was left out" bullshit.

Hunter x Hunter - It's just your typical battle shounen, YuYu Hakusho which comes from the same author is in fact far better.

Spider isekai, Slime isekai, Mushoku Tensei - typical otaku power fantasy that are overhyped.

Jan 8, 2022 12:46 AM

Mar 2021
Naruto and MHA. Naruto cause some guys think it as the best thing humans have ever created. NGL it's good but these guys hype it like it's the best anime ever created. MHA only the anime cause the pacing is just too slow
Jan 8, 2022 12:47 AM
Haru Choi

Mar 2012
Did you even try to watch either of those anime's that you say you hate so much? or are you just coming into the forums and whiney for the sake of whiney?

Jan 8, 2022 12:49 AM

Mar 2020
Pedoshoku Tensei
Shit Ass Online
JoJo
Chainsaw Edgy
Garbage Slayer
Tokyo Shitgers
Erashit
Steins;Garbage
My Shit Academia
Jujutshit Kaisen
Attack on Mikasa's Ass
The Rising of the Cringe Hero
Boring Note
Jan 8, 2022 1:15 AM

Mar 2021
Trynalbe said:
You may not like this but Tokyo Ghoul used to be so overrated and overhyped. Back then on 2015-2016, edgy mfs who watched tokyo ghoul thought they were psychopath and start posting cringe in their Facebook. Tokyo ghoul was so overrated af that it gave birth to people like this on the internet back then.

How tf is this a valid reason to hate the show. Tokyo Ghoul was good, the edge just made it better
Jan 8, 2022 2:10 AM

Aug 2018
DBZ, it's just popular cuz everyone watched it as a kid so they look at it through nostalgia.

"I want to show that woman the true Yoshikage Kira. I want her to hear how I feel deep inside. That I want to take your slender neck into these hands and strangle you to death."

Jan 8, 2022 2:31 AM

Jan 2021
I think that every popular and hype anime gives the general viewer what they wants to see ( or was giving what the general viewers what they wanted to see at the time the anime was airing ). Therefore, I don't think any popular anime do not deserve it's popularity even how bad it became when you start to view it more critically, because it understand what the general audience wants to watch and gives it. So it is normal and not undeserved for it to be popular.
Jan 8, 2022 3:41 AM
Dec 2017
For me it's mushoku tensei, oddtaxi, ousama ranking, jojo, monster, shinsekai yori, monogatari series
Jan 8, 2022 3:54 AM
Feb 2021
Attack on Titan or FMAB (I love fmab but the fanbase is annoying and treat it like the most perfect story ever)

Tokyo Revengers too - at least AoT and FMAB are good
Jan 8, 2022 5:10 AM

Dec 2021
Well I will write down the most popular anime of all time ever. Somehow these anime gain popularity, attention, praise and appreciation considering how bad they are in writing and have a myriad of intolerable flaws. This is why I can't take the anime community seriously which is what casuals develop

Code Geass
Attack on Titan
Death Note
My Hero Academia
Naruto
One Punch Man
FMAB
Steins Gate
Dragon Ball Z
Tensura
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Mob Psycho 100
Haikyuu
The Rising of the Shield Hero
Black Clover
Konosuba
Overlord
Kaguya-sama Love is War
Jojo's Bizzare Adventure
FMA 2003
Bunny Girl Senpai
Dr. Stone
Anohana
Gurren Lagann
Kill la Kill
Tokyo Ghoul
Cowboy Bebop
Fairy Tail
The Promised Neverland
Bleach
Jujutsu Kaisen
One Piece
Erased
Your Lie in April
Re:Zero
Angel Beats
Demon Slayer
No Game No Life
Your Name

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate them. It's just that they don't deserve whatever they've got
Jan 8, 2022 6:34 AM

Feb 2020
Infui said:
Tokyo ghoul is just random edgy crap slammed into 12 episodes with trash characters and an a terrible plot

Anohana was mid

im sorry

Yeah, Your Lie in April too.

Jan 8, 2022 7:47 AM
May 2021
For me, it's Neon Genesis Evangelion.
ASOIAF is the best piece of fiction

Jan 8, 2022 9:14 AM
Mar 2021
Aldiin99 said:
Infui said:

Anohana was mid

im sorry

alright but at least explain why its overrated
hi
Jan 8, 2022 9:17 AM

Feb 2020
Infui said:
Aldiin99 said:

alright but at least explain why its overrated

shit plot, shit end, shit everything.
Jan 8, 2022 9:33 AM

Oct 2019
Another overrated thread? Welp, time to piss some weebs off. Here we go.
My hero academia
Tokyo ghoul
Demon slayer
One punch man
Cowboy bepop (just boring af to me personally)
Toilet bound hanako kun
Yuri on ice
Angel beats
Kuroshitsuji/black butler
Bungou stray dogs
Elfen Lied
No game no life (I personally prefer the prequel over the entire series)
Your name
Sword art online (everyone probably agreed with this one)
I might be fans of some of these but definitely overhyped imo. Go ahead elitists, attack me, I will be pleasantly waiting with my cup of tea and I will be laughing at your salt knowing you can't handle some kid's taste.
NoonDaMoonJan 8, 2022 9:37 AM
Jan 8, 2022 11:20 AM

Jul 2013
Pretty much Steins;Gate and Demon Slayer. One is a visual novel series and the other is battle shounen, the two kinds of Japanese media that I have no interest in.

So yeah! I'm not into visual novels. I'm not even the biggest fan of any Type Moon franchises. I don't even like Ace Attorney which pretty much insults a lawyer's intelligence.
Jan 8, 2022 12:07 PM

Feb 2020
NoonDaMoon said:
My hero academia
Tokyo ghoul
Demon slayer
One punch man
Toilet bound hanako kun
Yuri on ice
Angel beats
Bungou stray dogs
Elfen Lied
Your name
I might be fans of some of these but definitely overhyped imo. Go ahead elitists, attack me, I will be pleasantly waiting with my cup of tea and I will be laughing at your salt knowing you can't handle some kid's taste.

Yeah, i agree. But i must add some anime's like Dr.Stone, Stein's Gate, AoT, Code Geass.
Jan 8, 2022 12:33 PM
Jul 2021
Everything popular is bad. You are cool
Jan 8, 2022 12:42 PM
Aug 2021
Aldiin99 said:
For me, ofc is it Jojo and One Piece! I just hate that anime's.

Most overyhped anime, that doesn't deserve that popularity. Leave a comment below.
you haven’t even watched Jojo or one piece and your saying their overhyped lmao
Jan 8, 2022 12:46 PM

Jun 2021
demon slayer
jujtsu kaisen
MHA
SAO .
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 8, 2022 12:46 PM

Jun 2021
demon slayer
jujtsu kaisen
MHA
SAO .
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 8, 2022 12:55 PM
Nov 2021
Aldiin99 said:
For me, ofc is it Jojo and One Piece! I just hate that anime's.

Most overyhped anime, that doesn't deserve that popularity. Leave a comment below.

id have to think more about it but to me jojo is definitely one of them. I assumed it was suppose to make me laugh but the jokes were wack. When they introduced stands the fights turned wack. I dropped it after part 3 i just didnt think it was good like at all.
Jan 8, 2022 12:59 PM
Nov 2021
TheAceAttorney said:
Aldiin99 said:

There are fans like that everywhere, and you certainly can't judge a fandom because of a couple of people.
And ofc Tokyo Ghoul isn't overrated!

You said you can't judge an Anime based on it's fanbase, but that's the most predominant reason why people hate JoJo. I don't blame them, though.

And yes, any trendy 2013-2016 Anime is so absurdly overrated, it's honestly laughable:
-AOT 1st Season
-Tokyo Ghoul
-Akame Ga Kill
-Noragami
-Haikyuu
-Fate/UBW (Although more deserving than the other entries, it is not better than Zero c'mon now)

I thought haikyuu was great but after three seasons i kinda stopped watching it bc it got super repetitive "But castro its a sports anime what you expect" Well rocky was a sports movie but they did other things than just boxing with haikyuu its literally JUST volleyball thats it that gets repetitive after awhile
Jan 8, 2022 1:00 PM
Nov 2021
TheAceAttorney said:
lasaga33 said:
Demon Slayer.

But again, this thread is a stupid one. Anime is subjective, if you don't like the anime, then the anime is not for you. Don't. Fucking. Watch. It

Edit : Oh, and just because you don't like the anime. Doesn't mean it's overrated.

I agree this thread is rather dumbfounded, however, it is important to also watch bad shows, especially if you want to critique things well. I still need to force myself to watch bad shows.

its not dumb hes asking you what you personally find overrated if you think its overrated then to you its overrated
Jan 8, 2022 1:04 PM

May 2021
Aldiin99 said:
DinoPapiro said:
Understandable, just out of curiosity where did you stop? Also, you dont need to like them but they have their ratings for a reason

Just because he has good ratings doesn't mean he's good, just as not having good ratings doesn't mean he's not good, simply.

The thing is numbers don't lie. The score is calculated as an average based on the majority's votes. This means if the score is high, then it probably is good for most people. If you didn't like it an anime with high scores, then that means you are in the minority, therefore you can't say it's bad because only you thought so. However, "good" is a subjective thing, and I have no problem with you thinking xxx is bad even if it's liked by many people. I also have popular anime that I gave a low score to. Just keep it to yourself, there's no need to insult others who liked it.
Jan 8, 2022 1:07 PM

May 2021
Cestlavie_ said:
Steins Gate
I can understand why people like it but it was boring till the end for me

And Re Zero
What do people see in that simp of an mc

Ah I completely agree with you on this one.
Jan 8, 2022 9:42 PM

Mar 2020
TarifKabir said:
Trynalbe said:
You may not like this but Tokyo Ghoul used to be so overrated and overhyped. Back then on 2015-2016, edgy mfs who watched tokyo ghoul thought they were psychopath and start posting cringe in their Facebook. Tokyo ghoul was so overrated af that it gave birth to people like this on the internet back then.

How tf is this a valid reason to hate the show. Tokyo Ghoul was good, the edge just made it better

season 2 sucks ass lol, I heard that season 2 took a different ending from the manga which explains why the pacing is so horrendous. Season 1 was great though, I don't hate the overall series btw, maybe someday I'll get into the manga and collect the physical copies.
Jan 8, 2022 9:50 PM

Mar 2020
AnimeDownUnder said:
Trynalbe said:

I don't think AOT has ever suffered the problem of low quality animation, maybe different animation style that is different and changing the characters design now that is an issue. Since it breaks the consistency from manga to previous seasons and all. But overall the only thing bad about the final season of AOT was just the story was kinda boring at that part and focusing on characters nobody cares about like that annoying girl Gabby

IMHO I don't even mind about the change of artstyle and the change of character design. Jojo changed it's artstyle through part and it's still look fine. Well yeah AoT s4 p1 has some good animation and some janky cgi animation, but those janky scenes are still acceptable for my eyes, but unfortunately for some people the cgi is like an unpleasant sight to them, so that's why some people hate aot s4 p1. Well I personally don't hate aot s4 p1 though
Jan 8, 2022 10:00 PM

Jan 2008
Aldiin99 said:
NoonDaMoon said:
My hero academia
Tokyo ghoul
Demon slayer
One punch man
Toilet bound hanako kun
Yuri on ice
Angel beats
Bungou stray dogs
Elfen Lied
Your name

Yeah, i agree. But i must add some anime's like Dr.Stone, Stein's Gate, AoT, Code Geass.

I agree with Dr.Stone. I'd say Stein's gate is decent-good and you have shit taste. AoT was good the first season but I haven't watched much past so I can't comment. Code Geass was good and not overrated at all. You also have to consider the time periods these anime came out. Some of them were very influential to the industry for their time.
Jan 8, 2022 11:46 PM

Mar 2021
Trynalbe said:
TarifKabir said:

season 2 sucks ass lol, I heard that season 2 took a different ending from the manga which explains why the pacing is so horrendous. Season 1 was great though, I don't hate the overall series btw, maybe someday I'll get into the manga and collect the physical copies.

I've read the manga, and honestly, they butchered season 2 of the anime so hard and the worst part is, is that Sui Ishida approved of the changes! Tokyo Ghoul Root had so many events out of order and a plotline impossible to follow I won't spoil the manga but we get a completely different and better ending in the manga. Though you may not enjoy the TG re manga as that took a while to sit right with me (namely 39 or so chapters maybe 60).
Jan 9, 2022 8:15 AM

Dec 2020
Kasutoro-Kun said:
TheAceAttorney said:

I agree this thread is rather dumbfounded, however, it is important to also watch bad shows, especially if you want to critique things well. I still need to force myself to watch bad shows.

its not dumb hes asking you what you personally find overrated if you think its overrated then to you its overrated

I meant this thread's purpose is dumbfounded, I've seen these threads countless times
"Did you forget already? In my word the color "red" doesn't exist. These must be...my tears. Ever since I woke up from my coma...I think I've been waiting for this very moment. You'd do well to remember this, Maya. The only time a lawyer can cry is when it's all over."
(Ace Attorney T&T: Bridge to the Turnabout)
"I'm my worst critic." (Kendrick Lamar)
Jan 9, 2022 8:15 AM

Dec 2020
Kasutoro-Kun said:
TheAceAttorney said:

I meant this thread's purpose is dumbfounded, I've seen these threads countless times
"Did you forget already? In my word the color "red" doesn't exist. These must be...my tears. Ever since I woke up from my coma...I think I've been waiting for this very moment. You'd do well to remember this, Maya. The only time a lawyer can cry is when it's all over."
(Ace Attorney T&T: Bridge to the Turnabout)
"I'm my worst critic." (Kendrick Lamar)
Jan 9, 2022 8:20 AM

Mar 2021
Monogatari series for me, i think it's mostly very boring. Although i loved Kizumonogatari. Just a personal opinion so

“๐™„๐™› ๐™ฎ๐™ค๐™ช ๐™—๐™š๐™œ๐™ž๐™ฃ ๐™ฌ๐™ž๐™ฉ๐™ ๐™ค๐™ซ๐™š๐™ง๐™˜๐™ค๐™ฃ๐™›๐™ž๐™™๐™š๐™ฃ๐™˜๐™š ๐™–๐™ฃ๐™™ ๐™–๐™ง๐™ง๐™ค๐™œ๐™–๐™ฃ๐™˜๐™š, ๐™ฎ๐™ค๐™ช’๐™ก๐™ก ๐™™๐™ž๐™š.”

“๐“๐ก๐ž ๐ฐ๐ž๐š๐ค ๐š๐ซ๐ž ๐๐ž๐ฌ๐ญ๐ข๐ง๐ž๐ ๐ญ๐จ ๐ฅ๐ข๐ž ๐›๐ž๐ง๐ž๐š๐ญ๐ก ๐ญ๐ก๐ž ๐›๐จ๐จ๐ญ๐ฌ ๐จ๐Ÿ ๐ญ๐ก๐ž ๐ฌ๐ญ๐ซ๐จ๐ง๐ . ๐ˆ๐Ÿ ๐ญ๐ก๐š๐ญ ๐š๐ง๐ ๐ž๐ซ๐ฌ ๐ฒ๐จ๐ฎ, ๐จ๐ฏ๐ž๐ซ๐œ๐จ๐ฆ๐ž ๐ฒ๐จ๐ฎ๐ซ ๐๐ž๐Ÿ๐ข๐œ๐ข๐ญ๐ฌ.”

“๐—ข๐—ป๐—น๐˜† ๐˜๐—ต๐—ผ๐˜€๐—ฒ ๐˜„๐—ต๐—ผ ๐—ฐ๐—ผ๐—บ๐—ฝ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ๐—ต๐—ฒ๐—ป๐—ฑ ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ถ๐—บ๐—ฝ๐—น๐—ถ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ผ๐—ป๐˜€ ๐—ผ๐—ณ ๐˜„๐—ฎ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ป ๐—ฏ๐—ฒ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ฝ๐—ฎ๐—ฏ๐—น๐—ฒ ๐—ผ๐—ณ ๐—ฏ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ด ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—บ๐˜€.”
Feb 6, 2022 5:42 PM

Sep 2020
KnY, the fights probably no way better or maybe almost the same with my hero academia, except this brings flashback and random backstory like naruto bs, what's even the point of nezuko being the only good evil, where's the explanation and how she is an ally
Feb 7, 2022 6:59 AM

Feb 2020
Blondyyy said:
KnY, the fights probably no way better or maybe almost the same with my hero academia, except this brings flashback and random backstory like naruto bs, what's even the point of nezuko being the only good evil, where's the explanation and how she is an ally

Yeah, but animation and opening are so perfectttt
Feb 8, 2022 4:52 PM

Sep 2020
Aldiin99 said:
Blondyyy said:

Yeah, but animation and opening are so perfectttt

Ratio, so that's why indeed demon slayer isn't a 1-3 anime because it has great(a bit overrated) animation
Nov 8, 2022 3:16 AM

May 2022
Made in Abyss and To Your Eternity lame asl.

Nov 8, 2022 3:26 AM

Feb 2021
-Mention- said:
Aldiin99 said:

I like Naruto, because I grew up with him, now I'm wondering how you can say Tokyo Ghoul is overhyped, bro that's sad.
now you remind me of this gif image...

Lmao that was a great roast ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

Nov 8, 2022 3:28 AM

Feb 2021
Lame thread. But if I had to name a few I'd say the DB series, and the first 30-35 episodes of One Piece

Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »

More topics from this board

» Can someone please help me fine the name of an old anime ( no pics available)

Karimhi - Jun 8

5 by Karimhi »»
1 minute ago

» How do you feel about the By Any Means Necessary drip jacket?

GinInYourJuice - 37 minutes ago

1 by Zarutaku »»
5 minutes ago

» How did the (first 10) anime end up on your favorites list?

JaaShooUhh - 5 hours ago

19 by Dachitosoru »»
13 minutes ago

Poll: » Would you sacrifice the rest of your life if you could spend one year with your favorite character? ( 1 2 )

Shizuna - Jun 3

62 by Coaghim »»
17 minutes ago

» WHat's an anime that would be great if a genderswapped version was made?

TheBlockernator - 24 minutes ago

1 by Serafos »»
22 minutes ago
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.