Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Jun 13, 2020 10:08 PM

Mar 2014
This whole episode was like the 3 Stooges trying to commit suicide, comical even though the context is way more serious. And that twist at the end was crazy

And the trio came off as really wholesome, probably because a little girl met with 2 strange men online and they genuinely cared about her well-being
Jun 17, 2020 3:08 PM

Jul 2016
So they were already dead? But how come Shounen Bat could see them?
Jul 24, 2020 12:26 PM
Nov 2019
This was so great and genious
Jul 27, 2020 9:51 AM
Aug 2019
i've been looking for the anime with the attempted suicide thing for almost 5 years since i saw the clip on facebook. i gave up but i found it instead when i didnt look for it anymore.how ironic but im so happy. i love zebra and im sad that they died but i could't really understand how and when.
Jul 29, 2020 7:49 PM
Jul 2020
This episode was an unexpected, but surprisingly rewarding side story, yet the animation did seem to dip in quality slightly. More stiff and unmoving, with jagged edges to characters and their shapes as they moved, the roughness around the edges of production really showed throughout the episode but it didn’t deter from the potency of the dark, yet comedic tone of the story. Cheerful music and playful sound design throughout the episode helped spark smiles during seemingly sadistic moments of quiet desperation.

I also think that the ending shot of the “Happy Family Planning” is related to the groups unlikely chemistry and seemingly familial union. This idea is presented when the group fails to hang themselves and Nanome says that she doesn’t, “want to be left behind,” which signifies her want for kinship. Despite being passed on from this world, it seems the three friends have finally found something to keep living for. I’m excited to see where the series goes next while finding out more about Shounen Bat’s true nature and identity. Whether the show leans into the psychological or supernatural at this point, it doesn’t seem like it’s going to give viewers a minute to relax or let their guards down.
Aug 14, 2020 11:35 PM

Jul 2020
So they were already dead after all.

I still didn’t get the condom metaphor at the end.
Aug 31, 2020 11:22 PM

May 2015
This episode hit me hard
I sometimes have this thought that I might have died already. Like when I'm driving full speed while dizzy and arrive to my destination, or when I feel pain cuz of an illness and I wake up the next day and the pain is gone.
You might already be dead but you won't notice. You'll continue your everyday life until you achieve all the goals you planned before dying.

Best episode I watched in a long time. Amazing stuff.
Nov 8, 2020 9:02 PM

Feb 2020
Just watched this and it is already one of my favorite episodes of all time of any anime I've watched so far.

First thing that caught my attention was when Zebra saw the man who jumped in front of the train walk away and none of the pedestrians seemed to see him.

Then when Fuyubachi took out his "last pill" in which he has already taken and a group of crows were over them cawing. Crows usually symbolize a bad omen like bad luck or death in literature.

Finally what really convinced me they were dead was the ladies reaction to the photo in which Fuyubachi, Kamome, and Zebra photo bombed.

I'm starting to think Lil Slugger is also dead and a powerful spirit on a mission
Dec 27, 2020 3:58 AM

Feb 2018
My favorite episode so far, you could tell they were already dead by the train scene, since Zebra saw the guy's ghost
Jan 26, 2021 4:10 PM

Aug 2012
Probably one of the worst episode I have ever watched, made me almost drop the show in the middle of it.
Feb 17, 2021 4:17 PM

Mar 2016
This is my favourite episode ngl.

just wanna feel wanted by someone other than the police 😫
Feb 26, 2021 7:04 AM

Aug 2018
I interpreted the title (Healthy Family Planning & Condoms) as a hint as to why Kamome wanted to commit suicide; she was an unwanted child from an accidental pregnancy.

Best episode so far imo.
Mar 4, 2021 10:46 AM
Dec 2020
One of the best episode of all time in anime history.
Mar 20, 2021 3:11 AM
Nov 2016
So pretty much what I think happened is that the girl died 1st and the 2 guys followed after.

- When fuyubachi and zebra were looking for materials for carbon monoxide suicide, you can see kamome watching them but they didn’t notice her. This is because kamome had already died and they couldn’t see her spirit. My guess is that she committed suicide away around sometimes after her call got ignored by fuyubachi because she saw them as family when she had no one left. I’m not sure how she died though. I haven’t caught any context clues from that yet.

- the when looking at the building, the windows were shut tight, thus the only way for kamome to go inside the building is by walking through the doorway. However, if she were alive, zebra and fuyubachi would have caught on and seen her with them the moment she walked in. (Abandoned building tend to have a lot of debris and glass shatters, so there should’ve been creaking, or the sound of glass, along with other noises when kamome walked in)

-after fuyubachi and zebra took to carbon monoxide poisoning and pills, they went to sleep till zebra was awoken by a phone call from kamome. However when zebra saw kamome sitting on the other side of the room, she didn’t have her phone in hand. This probably means that she called them spiritually, after fuyubachi and zebra died.

-There’s always that question of why she came back to them in her spirit form when they clearly ignored her and she had to die by herself. I thought it was because she doesn’t remember her death and that she died. I think that the whole time, kamome thought she was alive but she had died already. She probably went back to them because she has no one to go back to, which is probably the reason why she wanted to pass away.

-meanwhile, fuyubachi and zebra both died after the carbon monoxide poisoning and the pills. After taking the pills, they both fell asleep. Then when zebra received the call from kamome, thats when they officially died.

- the reason why I don’t think they died from the crane machine because the trio would be walking around bloody and dirty from the debris, and dirt, kind of like what happened to the train guy who was all bloody and had ripped up clothes when he died. This means that the the trio should’ve died from something that isn’t dirty and bloody.

- they definitely didn’t die after the crane machine incident because the building workers would be staring at the trio when they were lying on the floor next to their work and when kamome was crying.
Mar 20, 2021 3:13 AM
Nov 2016
Zenhashi said:
Probably one of the worst episode I have ever watched, made me almost drop the show in the middle of it.

Well the theme is more childish on the outside but when looking deeper into the plot, it’s actually a bit darker than it seems.
Mar 20, 2021 3:20 AM
Nov 2016
MoonPhos said:
So they were already dead? But how come Shounen Bat could see them?
That was the copycat. I forgot his name but he died in the last episode. I think they just saw the dead copycat unless the real shounen bat can see ghosts or smthing. Either that or everyone in the hotel they’re sleeping in is dead already. I didn’t see anyone’s shadow there.
Mar 21, 2021 4:18 PM

Aug 2012
dangogirl7334 said:
Zenhashi said:

Well the theme is more childish on the outside but when looking deeper into the plot, it’s actually a bit darker than it seems.

By episode 8 I guess I was past enjoying/caring for the show, didn't look past the surface to look for deeper meanings. To be quite honest I don't even remember much about this episode. Definitely not my cup of tea.
Mar 23, 2021 3:10 AM

Aug 2012
This episode is how I first heard about this show. It was listed on an video about the best stand-alone anime episodes, I think it may have specifically been to show non-anime fans, but regardless when I found out there was an a black comedy episode about people trying to commit suicide and constantly failed I was immediately sold. That was years ago, so it wasn't an effective sales pitch, but I was really excited to finally experience that episode, and it's probably my favourite of the series.

I'll admit, despite having several flags raised I didn't piece together that they were dead until after the episode. The only thing I didn't make note of was the shadows, but it only further elevates the episode. So many tells to the episodes twist, and coming on here to understand the condom note was great. The only issue with this episode is the production was a bit wonky, and some shots looked pretty bad, though thankfully the second half was mostly great. I also love that we give little insights into why they might wanted to have commit suicide, just enough context to understand it. Except maybe for Kamome, I've read some theories that she was an unwanted child, hence the condoms at the end, which is another interesting take I can totally see.

The note that Fox was Kozuka was a great way to connect it to the previous episode. As much as I enjoyed it, I was a little upset at how stand-alone it truly was. The earlier episodes did a good way to tie the earlier efforts together, like with Harumi's introduction in episode two before starring in three. But Kozuka's suicide and him being Fox from the chatlog while small, was a smart reveal that tied this episode into the chronology of the series well enough. To the point where I'm glad I didn't just watch it isolated, so I liked that reveal a lot. Also watching the show made the Shonen Bat joke all the funnier, hilarious moment.
Mar 23, 2021 3:45 AM

Nov 2018
Easily the best episode of the series.
They were all dead for most part and became a family while being dead huh.
I hate everyone equally
Jul 30, 2021 1:40 AM

Mar 2018
PANDEMlC said:
The show keeps moving and since you really never believe what you're seeing you overlook the obvious until they slap you in the face with it.

This sums it up pretty nicely for me as I didn't realize it till I looked at this thread and rewatch before the group photo where the shot pans down to their legs with no shadows and then pure shock overtook me as I come to the realization of how insanely good this episode is.

Probably my favorite yet, up there with my favorite episodes overall even.
Celest__Jul 30, 2021 1:46 AM
Jul 31, 2021 12:58 AM

Feb 2018
Most of the explanations for the "Happy Family Planning" don't account for the "Extra Thin Condoms" subtitle, which likely refers to their halfhearted attempts to commit suicide (post-actual death) as well as the group-suicide dynamic in itself. If their conviction is absolute, why avoid the most efficacious means to achieve it? They are depicted as an inadvertent "Happy Family" nearly the entire episode (excusing the moment when Komome is shown alone on the bridge, which likely precedes her own death) — with a content, intact, and caring community, they lack the drive to die, so they go about pursuing that end only indirectly, performatively. The continued presence of their mission, however, comforts them, precluding the self-examination (What would be their purpose, then?) that would shatter their peace of mind (and threaten their newfound happiness; the delusion scene).

To interpolate some existentialism: Purpose is its own reason. The (self-conscious, meta-) search for purpose is superfluous, and often undesirable.
NordstjaernanJul 31, 2021 1:27 AM
Aug 24, 2021 11:21 PM

May 2019
This was absolutely chilling.
Sep 1, 2021 11:31 AM

Jun 2020
Lmao. I hadn't even guessed that they died until I came here. Guess I am an idiot. Need to go back and re-watch the episode.
Sep 1, 2021 11:37 AM

Jun 2020
Wow. What an absolutely amazing episode. Probably one of the best I have seen recently. Peak Satoshi Kon.
Sep 4, 2021 10:52 PM

Sep 2014
This was an amazing episode, really funny in a dark kinda messed up way too lel.

I feel like there is some deeper meaning here, too, especially with that last shot

I get the feeling they are already dead as well, but I why can Shounen Bat see them? I'm not sure. Also of note: The old man uses his last pill like 3 different times
Oct 16, 2021 5:26 AM

Jul 2016
the noose part though lmaooo
Dec 11, 2021 9:23 AM
Nov 2020
I could never forget this episode. I love it so much!
Dec 25, 2021 8:45 AM

Dec 2021
Story-wise this episode was probably my favorite so far, but tf happened to the art-style?
Jan 8, 2022 1:28 AM

Aug 2019
Oznerol7 said:
Story-wise this episode was probably my favorite so far, but tf happened to the art-style?
me too...its my favorite too...art style was like this because they became ghost....shounen bat running from them...lol..
Mar 12, 2022 1:04 PM

Jun 2021
Ig once they ate sleeping pills and inhaled CO both of the elders died. May be that girl jumped from the bridge coz she was able to appear in their room even if they sealed the entrance. From then on the shadows disappear.
Jun 15, 2022 1:18 PM
Oct 2019
About the 'happy family planning' at the end of the episode, it's a condom commercial and i think it means that you should think twice before having kids since many people suffer in this world. I think that is what they meant and what i could interpret.
Aug 22, 2022 4:58 AM

Jun 2020
It's honestly incredible how they're able to create such a memorable, lasting, and complex characters and situations in the time constraint of 23 minutes. Well with only 5 episodes left, I wonder how they'll be able to wrap everything up. This series is wonderful.

To be honest though, Ep 5 and this could also be considered filler, the only reason they're canon is because they're connected. Something like an intertwined filler. Not complaining tho, it's fucking amazing.

This episode really reminded me of the Suicide Offline Meeting from NHK.

Oct 15, 2022 9:29 PM

Jul 2015
Now this is an banger, if every episode was this good it would be the easiest 10/10 ever.

妄想... 温かい

Oct 17, 2022 10:36 PM

Dec 2018
RazorBeamz said:
I realized they were dead when the girls getting their picture taken freaked out.

I hated this episode before reading this thread LOL... so that's why they screamed.
Nov 15, 2022 1:42 PM
Jun 2021
I think this will be my favorite episode.
Watching those 3 dumbasses trying to kill themselves and failling everytime and then them chasing "shounen batto" was just hilarious.

Also, it was kinda sweet how the two man went in pure shock when they discovered that the third person who was planning to die with them was a little kid, ran from her, and later tried to trick her into not dying and became friends with her. A strange group of suicidals, but cute and funny in a way.

Edit: Reading other people's comments of the episode made me realise that they were really ghosts after the building's destruction. And I think that this make the episode even better for me. Definitely my favorite until now and it's gonna be hard to change that.
gipeNov 15, 2022 1:54 PM
Nov 27, 2022 5:08 AM

Jun 2012
An excellent episode criticizing Japanese society.

1) Fuyubachi and Zebra died in the abandoned building at the beginning of the episode, Kamome died before finding them in the building, because when she calls Zebra, her voice is far away and suddenly she appears inside the building just like a ghost would. Since the demolition of the building, they don't have a shadow, even when chasing the shounen bat.

2) Zebra saw the ghost of the guy who jumped on the subway, showing that they were already dead

3) Kamome chose to die because her parents don't pay attention to her, that's why she always runs after others, she's afraid of being alone again. Zebra is gay, and probably chose death because he was abandoned by her love. Fuyubachi always carries a bag of sweets and seems to have an attachment to Kamome's image, which may represent that he chose death because he was abandoned by his children/grandchildren, a common thing in Japan due to the high life expectancy. All 3 are alone and abandoned by their family. I believe the note at the end about "family planning" means something like "you won't raise a family if you use a condom" or "you can't kill yourself if you never born".
Mada mada dane
Dec 2, 2022 3:19 AM

Jul 2017
Besides shounen bat comically appearing in one scene, this episode didn't seem connected to the main story. I didn't mind it that much, but i can only hope for the following episodes to continue the Plot.
But it's also possible that the Anime doesn't want to give a clear answer to who shounen bat is and it's just supposed to be stories that are happening including shounen bat.
The previous episodes could have been the first of these stories, that has now concluded.

I really liked this episode though. I love how naturally and innocently the grown up characters interact with the young girl. This Anime doesn't sexualize the female characters and we all know that that's not always the case in anime. I like how this episode deals with suicide and how positive it is in a weird way. The adult characters want to safe the life of the girl and they genuienly care for her.
serialexperimetsDec 2, 2022 3:26 AM
Mar 24, 2023 2:24 AM
Jul 2018
It's a funny departure from the usual but still in the dark suspect matter.
May 29, 2023 2:13 PM
Oct 2021
Así que al final sí que lograron su cometido, a mi parecer, el primer intento ya había funcionado para ambos, de la niña no lo tengo muy claro, obviamente no se dieron, pues continúan probando otros métodos, hasta el final, parece que el anciano sí que lo nota (la pastilla), para mí lo dejó claro cuando se sacaron la foto, me pregunto que habrán visto que les causó el susto. Realmente disfruté mucho este episodio, mi favorito sin duda aunque no tenga mucho que ver con la historia principal, los lazos que forman me parece muy genuinos, la escena del tipo del tren está buenísima  y me encantó que a pesar de que se mantiene en un todo un poco cómico, el trasfondo principal no se pierde. Estoy segura que daba para más, sin dudarlo vería una versión extendida.
Jul 23, 2023 4:21 PM

Jan 2013
I think it’s very likely the girl died first out of them. When Fuyubachi and Zebra run away from her, they show him ignoring her phone call and Fuyubachi takes out his pills and says “this is the last pill” before consuming it. This makes me think they somehow gave the girl the monoxide carbon pill and she died, maybe even asking for help as she did but they just left her, hence Fuyubachi ignored her phone call. They show the chatroom messages showing the girl asking for a way to die without suffering and Fuyubachi suggests sleepijg pills or monoxide poisoning or whatever. They show the girl looking at them from the bridge from afar. Just my theory.

Very very creepy ep.
Sep 18, 2023 5:10 AM
Aug 2022
That was a good one, also showing shonen bat to be a yokai thing maybe?
Jan 31, 6:47 AM

Mar 2020
Oh man, this episode was trippy.
Feb 6, 3:53 AM
Jan 2021
I'm seeing that a lot of people enjoyed this episode, but it really frustrated me. This show constantly builds up tension and a dark atmosphere in a masterful way, and then has all of that come crashing down with filler episodes that go in a complete opposite direction to the atmosphere built. This episode would've been fantastic as a separate short story, but I'm really not a fan of irrelevant episodes that contribute nothing to a show (especially if they feel out of place in comparison to the other episodes).

It really didn't progress the plot at all, neither. Sure, we now know that imposter SB (FOX) wanted to commit suicide (and possibly did), but what was actually achieved with this episode? Maybe it's showing us that SB is indeed paranormal considering that SB was able to see them? Shounen bat had a shadow though, so with the logic shown from the episode, he couldn't have been a spirit.

Hopefully the next one is somewhat connected to the plot, and sticks to themes consistent with the rest of the show.
lkj509Feb 6, 4:00 AM
Today, 2:11 AM
May 2024
This episode is genius, I didn't understand until afterwards
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mousou Dairinin Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

katsup - Apr 3, 2008

216 by au6ust »»
May 7, 7:24 AM

Poll: » Mousou Dairinin Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Arashi89 - Aug 7, 2009

90 by pennyisirl »»
Apr 21, 7:53 PM

Poll: » Mousou Dairinin Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Arashi89 - Aug 7, 2009

68 by LithiumHead9 »»
Mar 6, 1:01 AM

Poll: » Mousou Dairinin Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

LibreKoi - May 24, 2009

63 by lkj509 »»
Feb 7, 2:41 AM

Poll: » Mousou Dairinin Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

LibreKoi - May 24, 2009

62 by lkj509 »»
Feb 7, 1:45 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.