Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »
Apr 5, 2012 11:13 PM

Dec 2010
btw where’re all those hilarious reviewtards?
LOOOOOOL
「J>K>W」
事実。
Apr 6, 2012 12:01 AM
Jan 2012
Nothing but a wave in the Sea of Mediocrity.
Apr 6, 2012 12:37 AM

Jan 2009
think i need more time to get use to Medaka's voice even though i was fine with her VA's other roles ...
Apr 6, 2012 1:11 AM

Jan 2009
Nobody else is saying it, so I guess I get to be the one. That first episode was a complete turn off.

I don't think they could have made a more disgustingly conceited and "perfect" female lead. Immediately one of the more hatable characters I have come across. To make it even worse, she IS as great as makes her self out to be. Am I the only one irritated by this?
The character designs overall seem very bland and so unwavering from the stereotypes, that it is pretty disappointing. Sticking to typical character types so closely does not make the characters unique, it makes them extremely mediocre and not likeable.

You can obviously tell I havn't read the manga, but I watched this on recommendation from a friend who did. Apparently it gets better, but I am extremely skeptical. Maybe if Medaka dies in the next few episodes, I guess. If this was supposed to be a parody of mediocre comedic romance, then someone screwed that up because it just came across as painful to watch.

I will probably watch at least one more episode or two, but it is so hard not to just drop this off first impression. "Gets better later" doesn't provide much enticement when the first episode does nothing to draw you in.
Apr 6, 2012 1:15 AM

Jan 2011
There was actually a lot less fanservice than I thought there would be. I liked it and the comedy was pretty entertaining. Looking forward to the rest.
Apr 6, 2012 1:49 AM

Jul 2009
for those that are turned off by the prospect of them finding a lost dog in the next episode, you'll be greeted with one awesome trait from medaka in that story.

In some way, she is like Shichika from Katanagatari.
Apr 6, 2012 1:50 AM

Aug 2011
Not too bad, I'm looking forward to when they actually start the real arcs, and it doesn't look like it'll take too long to do because they already highlighted the enforcers.

Looks like a bunch of people will be dropping it before they even introduce the rest of the core cast, a shame I guess. But the manga did take a few chapters to really get going too.
Apr 6, 2012 2:03 AM

Jan 2011
Does it get any good in the later episodes? First episode was so bad...had to force my way through. Such unoriginal bullshit...
Apr 6, 2012 3:38 AM

Aug 2010
I liked it, especially Medaka's character. The OP/ED was fine, and even Kato Emiri's Ryuuko-like performance didn't drive me insane. I would have loved to have Kuroko as a narrator like in Ookami-san. 4/5.
Apr 6, 2012 3:48 AM

Oct 2011
I regret ever watching subDESU for this(I'm the type who goes for whatever the first release is, now I'm gonna be more careful). When Zenkichi called himself a tsundere, I just facepalmed... also, I looked at the terrible approval rating this group had with this anime... sigh...
I get the general idea of the story at least; hopefully the fail translation of this first episode didn't mess up any plot points, this looks interesting.
Apr 6, 2012 4:23 AM

Dec 2008
jeroz said:
for those that are turned off by the prospect of them finding a lost dog in the next episode, you'll be greeted with one awesome trait from medaka in that story.

In some way, she is like Shichika from Katanagatari.

Uhh I think you mean Nanami................

Tonight... we are young... so let's set the world on fire, we can burn brighter, than the sun...
Apr 6, 2012 4:31 AM

Jan 2009
messedup said:
Does it get any good in the later episodes? First episode was so bad...had to force my way through. Such unoriginal bullshit...

The manga isn't especially good, and personally I found the first 20 chapters of the currently 140-strong manga to be the best ones.

I watched it to see how Gainax would handle the show, but I'll drop it since I can't bear going through the whole story again. Some good Seiyuu choices in this one, though.
Apr 6, 2012 4:58 AM

Sep 2011
Well, the first episode disappointed me. Had high hopes since it's originally written my Nisio Isin, but I guess that Akiyuki Shinbo is the only person who can make his works look not so cringe-worthy.

3/5. Might drop it after Episode 2.
Apr 6, 2012 5:13 AM

Jun 2008
Khajata said:
Well that was quite disappointing. I recently just got caught up with the manga so when I heard that the anime was right around the corner I got really pumped. That the first couple of scenes were just ass-shots and breast-shots kinda bothered me. I'm all for fanservice, but introduce the character first.

I cannot approve of the animation direction. I noticed at least five blatant examples of QUALITY and that's just embarrassing for the first episode. Zenkichi's face is just ruining the series for me. I do not remember his chin being that pointy in the manga.

Though I have to admit that I have fallen in love with Hansode. I didn't like her character all that much in the manga (I always thought she looked a tad too much like a squirrel) but she has captured my heart in the anime.

Regardless, I cannot imagine this series lasting for very long. It just doesn't present itself to an animated adaption. It all seemed so cartoony, almost like the hygienics from Panty and Stocking. It just doesn't work with this animation style.
What cartoony moments exactly? Please don't preconceive the animation for what it is than what it actually is. This also assumes the manga didn't have any cartoony-like moments, which is also a misconception.

The adaptation was pretty faithful. Zenkichi's face, are you serious? I just caught up to the manga last month too and I didn't notice anything wrong with his face.

Considering you've read the manga, you should know the manga's "art quality" isn't as top notch either. Sounds like another case of too much expectation.
garridy said:
I will probably watch at least one more episode or two, but it is so hard not to just drop this off first impression. "Gets better later" doesn't provide much enticement when the first episode does nothing to draw you in.

You'll be disappointed. Nothing really changes until probably episode 4, and that's just one more introduction of a new character. Probably nothing really happens until around episode 7-8 or something.

And even with that said, the literal change from one genre to another is not exactly a "gets better" thing either. It's simply a change in taste. I almost dropped it when they went for all out action shounen on me.
Apr 6, 2012 5:43 AM

Jun 2010
I was kinda expecting for medaka to have a tougher voice something like erza's voice(fairy tail.

well at least its now in anime form I'm gonna continue until its over or if I get bored.
reading the manga anyways.
Apr 6, 2012 6:14 AM

Dec 2009
Boring so far.
Apr 6, 2012 6:31 AM

Dec 2011
Jonouchi619 said:
Elite60 said:
lol, the blue haired guy sounded exactly like Oga, Tatsumi from Beezlebub (probably the same VA).

Seeing pantsu shots in the OP was all I needed to know that the show will be tilted towards the ecchi side at times.

I suppose you may have subconsciously thought this because he resembles Kamina from Gurren Lagann a little bit and Kamina has the same VA as Oga. He does have that quality to his voice so I also had a similar thought, but Medaka Box doesn't show up in that's VA's list of roles.

EDIT: I'm not so sure he isn't the VA anymore...He sounds pretty damn close to Katsuyuki Konishi. I haven't found the credit for the character anywhere, but I'll bet it's Katsuyuki Konishi.

It says he is the VA for Moji now in the MAL page, and I'm fairly certain he is just because Moji sounded, looked, and acted like a slightly wimpier Kamina with no glasses; other than that, they are almost clones.
Apr 6, 2012 6:56 AM

Jul 2009
Each time i was reading Medaka Box manga i was imagining that Marina Inoue will voiced Medaka, what a let down, not that i dislike the current VA
Apr 6, 2012 7:11 AM

Jan 2012
Maybe I should have done a bit of further research about this anime before watching this. Seems like generic fanservice type series but we will see if it becomes something interesting.
Apr 6, 2012 7:51 AM

Jan 2012
I totally like Medaka!
Zenkichi's cute <3
And it's not a typical school life thing so it's my type of anime ;)

10/10

Apr 6, 2012 8:06 AM

Feb 2012
Medaka Box's Pilot Episode is good. 7-8/10 for me. I like the feel of this genre. I sorta hope that it does it's thing and not disappoint any of the viewers in the future. Since I am not a manga reader, I'll stick to this one and we'll see if it will surprise anyone.

Good Episode so Far. I like It. Waiting for the 2nd next week.
Apr 6, 2012 8:26 AM

Nov 2008
messedup said:

You gave Highschool DxD an 8.

Okay.
Apr 6, 2012 8:43 AM

Mar 2012
It was great ^^ looking forward to the next episode~ hm, i spot two male tsunderes~ (Hyuga & Zenkichi) and tall, dark and bishoujo~ (Medaka-chan) and MOE~! <3 (Shiranui ^o^)
Apr 6, 2012 8:48 AM

Jan 2009
I liked it! 9/10
Apr 6, 2012 8:53 AM
Apr 2012
Looks good so far but I hope next episode is more exciting.
Apr 6, 2012 9:21 AM

Jan 2011
FlashFumo said:
messedup said:

Okay.

Boobie-Bonus!
But I guess I am a little too harsh with this because of stuff like Highschool DxD. It's like the same thing over and over again...and they only change the haircolor of the friggin woman. You got stuff like Maji de Watashi ni Koi Shinasai!, then stuff like Highschool DxD (which stands a little bit out because of the whole demonic part and the nudity of course) and now it's Medaka Box. The only difference is that so far there isn't anything that makes Medaka Box stand out. Maji almost had the same problem, but they had some over the top action with women who had bionic-prostetics etc.
Of course this is all temporary, because only one episode has aired and i don't know what will happen.
Apr 6, 2012 9:23 AM
Nov 2010
It looks interesting, I'll keep watching it...
I agree that there might be too much ecchi, but we'll see...
Apr 6, 2012 9:51 AM

Aug 2008
I loved first ep of Medaka box so much!
Although the premise like President and high-school was so cliched as hell,But this show can turn those premise into entertaining and lovable show at least.Mainly because of Main characters Zenkichi and Medaka,They're so adorable.And from the OP. the rest of the members in council look interesting as well.

More than that,over the top action and execution helps this show a lot.I liked it.And wow,...Fanservice didn't bother me at all in this show.so strange...
Looking forward to next week!!
Apr 6, 2012 10:40 AM

May 2010
I don't know about this. As a NisioIsin work, I was expecting much higher but . . .

-_-
Apr 6, 2012 10:53 AM

Jul 2010
I really like it! love,action,comedy .. :D
Apr 6, 2012 10:59 AM
Mar 2012
FlashFumo said:
messedup said:

Okay.

This.

Deardrops said:

You see the thing is, japan doesn't care if us foreigners watch it or not, japan doesn't care if you dislike ecchi or not because that's what japanese otakus like, and as harsh as it may sound, anime wasn't made for us, so wether these immature people (Not everyone here, i'm talking about those who're crying about ecchi) would watch it or not doesn't affect the anime industry at all.

Yeah, you're right. It is a privilege to get these at all. So it's not like what we say will affect anyone.
DegreeApr 6, 2012 11:06 AM
Apr 6, 2012 11:36 AM

Apr 2010
Eh it was OK. It had a strange feeling to it, not very exciting or really great. I will give it a 7/10 for now and keep going for a few more episodes. If I don't like it around episode 3 or 4 I will drop it.
Apr 6, 2012 11:36 AM

Jul 2010
Color me pleasantly surprised. This was actually pretty interesting. I'm going to give this show a go.

Shiranui is such a troll, I love it.

Apr 6, 2012 12:33 PM
Nov 2010
messedup said:

Boobie-Bonus!
But I guess I am a little too harsh with this because of stuff like Highschool DxD. It's like the same thing over and over again...and they only change the haircolor of the friggin woman. You got stuff like Maji de Watashi ni Koi Shinasai!, then stuff like Highschool DxD (which stands a little bit out because of the whole demonic part and the nudity of course) and now it's Medaka Box. The only difference is that so far there isn't anything that makes Medaka Box stand out. Maji almost had the same problem, but they had some over the top action with women who had bionic-prostetics etc.
Of course this is all temporary, because only one episode has aired and i don't know what will happen.

Zenkichi doesn't stand out to you? There are plenty of differences between Medaka and DxD, attempting to relate the two because Medaka reminds you of Rias is a little far-fetched for me. Especially since the similarities between the two are mostly physical.
Apr 6, 2012 12:58 PM

Nov 2008
Deardrops said:
FlashFumo said:

Okay.

Because highschool DxD was original, and unique.

notsureifserious.jpg
Apr 6, 2012 1:42 PM

Nov 2008
Deardrops said:

Nah seriously, if you didn't like it because boobs scare you then it's alright, that's your opinion, because the fact that it did pretty well and the sales were very decent is still there.

I'm very much not trolling. And I really don't care if it did well. I mean, Baccano bombed in Japan and that show was more epic than most epic things.

Boobs don't "scare" me. DxD was just a really boring piece of shit with an excuse plot and extremely annoying characters. All it had going for it were the tits.

This show, Medaka Box, has ecchi in moderation and is penned by Nisioisin, author of Bakemonogatari. Therefore it is superior.
Apr 6, 2012 2:01 PM

Nov 2008
Deardrops said:
http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showpost.php?p=1972211&postcount=14
I don't see your baccano anywhere on the list, so it didn't "bomb" in japan.

By "bomb" I mean "did really badly". It sold like frozen shit.
Apr 6, 2012 2:08 PM

Nov 2008
Deardrops said:
Oh, well yeah, because Japanese otaku's preferences and tastes are different to ours, because shit like Bakemonogatari, Madoka, K-on etc etc etc, basically Fanservice and moe is predominant in japan, while shows like Fairy tail, Clannad, Baccano, Naruto, One piece are more popular in the west and outside japan.

Did you just exclude Clannad from "moe" and "popular in Japan"? Because... lol. Everything you just said is popular in Japan because it's either moe fanservice or shonenshit. Except for Baccano, which is a largely western-styled, fanservice-free mystery/action show. Basically nothing the otaku are interested in.

And while I may love Bakemonogatari, (because that is original and unique) Japanese otaku do eat up all the pandering moe and ecchi crap. Like, derp, DxD.
Apr 6, 2012 2:24 PM

Mar 2012
A good school life, romantic comedy, slice of life show imo.
It might get redundant tho... like helping someone every ep...
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/LuckyMango

http://myanimelist.net/mangalist/LuckyMango

Feel free to comment on my profile for anime recommendations.
Ill try my best to help! Remember don't message me. Comment!
Apr 6, 2012 2:25 PM

Dec 2011
Seems like this will be quite the entertaining show.
Apr 6, 2012 2:42 PM

Oct 2011
First episode was kinda boring IMO, it just felt a little cliched to me.
I will still watch the series tho. Hope it gets better in the later eps.
Oh, and btw, KAMINA?!?!:
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 6, 2012 3:33 PM

Nov 2008
Pretty good first episode.
Apr 6, 2012 4:50 PM

Jan 2008
Imo the first episode was just mediocre. Hopefully it becomes better the next episodes.
Apr 6, 2012 5:48 PM

Oct 2010
Well that was pretty epic. looking forward to the rest of the series.
Apr 6, 2012 7:37 PM

Jul 2011
It's pretty meh. The main chick is very cliched and has bad character design. Maybe it'll get better.

Seems to be chock full of sexual innuendo. Medaka's "box" that helps people no matter the problem. The offscreen thing she did to the thugs and glasses, who even falls in love with her. Guess she's pretty good at yaru-ing people haha.
The chip in my mind, it summons me.
I gave my life to your machines.
Apr 6, 2012 7:45 PM

Dec 2007
ITT: People need to read the Medaka Box TV Trope page, then watch the first episode again.

Knowing that it was a parody going in made some things SO obvious and gave this first episode a new layer to everything.
Jumping in Headfirst - I hear reading it causes immortality. Warning. Reading may not actually cause immortality.
Apr 6, 2012 9:17 PM

Jun 2009
All I can say it is about damn time this show got made. I really enjoyed it.
Apr 7, 2012 1:19 AM

Jan 2010
First new (non-sequel) show of the season for me. A bit incoherent but I'm hoping that it's just a problem of getting a lot of stuff established in the first episode. To have done it well, they would have needed an extra ten minutes or so. But I think it has some promise and may just turn into a decent show.
Apr 7, 2012 2:36 AM

Jan 2011
LeopardTheGreat said:
messedup said:

Boobie-Bonus!

Zenkichi doesn't stand out to you? There are plenty of differences between Medaka and DxD, attempting to relate the two because Medaka reminds you of Rias is a little far-fetched for me. Especially since the similarities between the two are mostly physical.

Why should he stand out? He is the same like the guys from the other shows I mentioned. The kinda weak guys that gets into trouble or even danger because of a woman they either love or knew since they were kids. And then we have the woman of course...the strong sexy leadership-type that can also be pretty soft and nice. It's just all the same...
Apr 7, 2012 2:37 AM

Mar 2008
She has the same mindset as I do so id probably enjoy this even though first half of the episode i felt a little bored. I dont feel right except for times im helping people.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Medaka Box Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Apr 11, 2012

158 by RaidenSteiner »»
Oct 22, 2023 6:01 PM

» Moji, Mahibi

Ugliz - Mar 10, 2014

1 by gust4835 »»
Sep 4, 2023 8:20 AM

Poll: » Medaka Box Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Yumekichi11 - Apr 18, 2012

99 by Hayley2877 »»
Dec 19, 2022 9:50 AM

» Any differences?

StaleNut - Nov 4, 2022

3 by StaleNut »»
Nov 4, 2022 6:12 AM

Poll: » Medaka Box Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 13, 2012

123 by Attackonfiller »»
Jan 25, 2022 2:41 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.