Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »
Apr 8, 2021 12:55 AM
May 2019
Kaiseki said:
Koguma is a high school girl with no parents, no money, no hobbies, no friends, and no future goals, but it looks like she's really happy while riding the Honda super cub.

The animation was pretty good, and I never thought I could see the Honda CBR650R in an anime.

I'm looking forward to the next episode
is it an actual Motor cycle or is it more like a motor scooter/moped.
Apr 8, 2021 12:57 AM

Apr 2020
Jpl79 said:

which one? the cbr650r or the super cub?
Apr 8, 2021 12:58 AM
May 2019
Something tells me this anime is sponsored by Honda and I can't put my finger on it. All jokes a side I like how calm this show is, I'm always in the mood for a good club anime.
Apr 8, 2021 1:03 AM
May 2019
Kaiseki said:
Jpl79 said:

the one the protagonist was riding.
Apr 8, 2021 1:09 AM

Apr 2020
Jpl79 said:
Kaiseki said:

the one the protagonist was riding.
Honda Super Cub is indeed a motorcycle, not a scooter. Autoweek confirms this, cmiiw
Apr 8, 2021 1:23 AM
Mar 2021
An interesting and relaxing start, I really like the atmosphere and the last song played fits perfectly.
Apr 8, 2021 1:31 AM
Aug 2020
definitely not sponsored by Honda >.<
Apr 8, 2021 1:34 AM
Nov 2016
I love animes that show a lot with little. This is the case here. Much of this comes from director fujii, who has this minimalist approach as a feature. I really like that and I will keep an eye on this and your next works.
Apr 8, 2021 2:18 AM

Nov 2013
”Up until yesterday, I didn’t have anything. But... starting today, I have my Cub.”

Surprisingly my favourite anime of the season so far!
Love the simplicity of the story. There’s something quite nice about the pacing of the story. Not much happens, but there’s a beauty to its simplicity. Reminds me of Yesterday so Utatte in that aspect, the calm/silence at times really highlights the tone of the series.

The VA fits the role perfectly, it’s impressive that it’s her debut!
Really well done by the production staff as well— nice music choice... I enjoyed the bits of classical, the gorgeous art, the sound design, and then the change in colour design when Koguma finds some colour in her ‘monochrome world’.

Absolutely beautiful, I love these kind of stories.
I feel myself rooting for good things to happen to her as I watch through the episode.

No complaints so far, looking forward to more.
Definitely a gem of this season!
herricklukApr 8, 2021 2:22 AM
Apr 8, 2021 2:32 AM

Jan 2019
Super Cub? More like SUPER COMFY !

sad to see it bombed with negative scores by bots
Apr 8, 2021 2:54 AM
Aug 2015
is the vote bot? most people in comment give positive review
Apr 8, 2021 3:07 AM
Jul 2020
That smile can cure depression though. Anyways that was a cute first episode with the beautiful visuals and it sets a tone in the atmosphere that is very much relaxing. I like to see how far the story progressess.
LinatoriApr 8, 2021 3:45 AM
Apr 8, 2021 4:58 AM

Oct 2017
dai_san_gen said:
is the vote bot? most people in comment give positive review

Yes it is.

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1911356
Apr 8, 2021 5:16 AM

Oct 2016
Yo this was so good! We must protecc Koguma's smile, her smile is so precious. Now this, this is a worthy show to fill the void Yuru Camp left in my heart.

The visual and sound design was so good, I love how the show suddenly gains color depending on what Koguma was feeling. The lack of music at the beginning really helped show the somber atmosphere, and then when the music finally kicked in was beautiful. I will look forward to Koguma gaining friends.

I love the depressingly comfy atmosphere, though as we go on, hopefully it's just comfy.
Apr 8, 2021 5:26 AM

Nov 2017
Clair de lune and a motorcycle, what a perfect combination. Oh I miss my honda supercub when I used it at highschool.

Apr 8, 2021 5:28 AM
Jul 2020
The first episode itself gave me the Yuru Camp vibe thus the animation; it looks great! Definitely waiting for newer episodes I want to feel more comf-cute vibes with Koguma <33
Apr 8, 2021 5:47 AM

Mar 2012
The most boring thing I've watched. Also just another highschooler who lives alone without parents.
Apr 8, 2021 5:57 AM

Feb 2018
This is so fu*ing wholesome. Definitely a must watch for me.
Apr 8, 2021 6:53 AM

Jul 2014
That was probably one of my favourite opening episodes to a slice of life series ever. Going without OST for long stretches of the episode, as well as barely having Koguma speak at all (discounting her opening monologue, she doesn't say a word for the first 6 and a half minutes of the episode) is an incredibly bold move to start a series like this with, but it immediately and effectively conveys how empty Koguma's life is until she gets the Cub. Then, having the colour palette brighten for just a moment as she gets on it for the first time and then remain bright as she's riding it demonstrates just how much this means for her. In other words, through colour palette and OST (or, more often than not, the lack thereof) alone, this show has gotten me 100% invested in Koguma and I just want to see her smile more and more going forward; we get a few this episode, and each one feels so, so rewarding already.

The only complaint I could really lodge at this is how awkward the CG biking looks and that the cuts between the CG wide shots and drawn close-ups is kind of jarring, but it is understandable that it would be easier to do the movement in CG than in traditional animation.

An excellent episode, and I'm very excited to keep up with this show for the season.
Apr 8, 2021 6:55 AM

Oct 2019
Really love it, the ost fits perfectly with the beautiful animation. The main character is cute as fuck, i wonder what the second episode is going to be about, maybe they'll introduce a new character. Maybe it would be the cheerful type
Apr 8, 2021 7:50 AM

Jan 2012
I hate it. Probably the most this season, because it felt just very off, when i watched it.
And a friend showed me the manga and i know exactly why i hate it.

The manga has different expressions of the girl, hell even the old guy at the station has different expressions, while they like defined suffering in the Anime.

sanleiApr 9, 2021 8:22 AM
Apr 8, 2021 7:51 AM
Feb 2021
a nice start ! the episode really captured how her life is plain and boring but the bike brings her the excitement she needs. lovely animation too. looking forward to future episodes.
Apr 8, 2021 8:11 AM

Jun 2019
So boring, oh my god.
Apr 8, 2021 8:59 AM

Feb 2015
Sponsored by HONDA.

It was very... calm. I don't know if I'll be able to watch the entire season, I could get bored fast by this CGDCT. However, there were a few realistic and relatable situations in this first episode, it wasn't bad.

We never have enough Debussy, so I hope there'll be more.

Apr 8, 2021 9:17 AM

Nov 2016
Now this was nice. Quality slice for this season is safe.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 8, 2021 9:20 AM

Nov 2017
SHINOBI-03 said:
Anime_Jesus said:

Have you considered the bike had probably been sitting in storage for along time, and he’d rather just let go of it? Or it was just the cheapest thing he had and the only thing she could afford? You’re not gonna get luxuries if you only have a few hundred dollars.

My main concern here is the killing part. He talked about the bike like it was cursed or something and he sold it to a new customer who could be killed later disregarding the previous accidents.

Relax man. This isn’t a psychological horror. They just need a reason to have the scooter be $100 and they picked that. It doesn’t go any deeper than that. Not everything is so deep.
Apr 8, 2021 9:51 AM

Feb 2020
Funny and relaxing start.

SerafosJan 13, 3:19 AM
Apr 8, 2021 10:17 AM
Mar 2021
Well. I am a big fan of Claude Debussy so it hooked me for the first minutes.
I love Koguma who is shy, but still wants to buy the motocycle.And I like the art of the character too. But I am still wondering how is she able to buy a motocycle if she has no money ?
This anime is based on Yamanashi Prefecture like Yuru Camp.
Let's see how it goes.
PopulusApr 8, 2021 10:29 AM
Apr 8, 2021 11:14 AM

Jun 2016
yooo this got hooked mee !!!
super cub in my country is Astrea Legend haha ...

i loved this motorcycle and SoL theme
Apr 8, 2021 1:59 PM
Apr 2020
I was really excited for the premiere of this and did it exceed my expectations? Yes it did. I was captivated by the animation and cinematography from the very first minute, watching this feels like I’m watching a calm aesthetic vlog but make it an anime, SoL are sometimes boring to me but this is SoL at it’s peak I’m looking forward to more episodes!
Apr 8, 2021 2:22 PM
Oct 2019
I have never seen an anime so quiet but so rich in sound at the same time. That's plus the gorgeous backgrounds, the kawaii character designs, and that lovely complex simplicity. Fantastic first episode, difficult to watch without smiling non-stop. It reminds me a lot of Yuru Camp, visually and in the feeling of tranquility in a rural / natural environment. The only difference is that this one has a more melancholic tone, part of that comes from the main character, which is super interesting. The only downside is the use of CGI in some scenes (I'm not a fan of CGI) but that's just nitpicking.
Apr 8, 2021 3:14 PM

Feb 2019
RayReynolds said:
I'm not quite sure who the audience for this show is either. People who just want to look at landscapes and listen to elevator music? I guess at least it's not full of the main character's internal narration. You definitely can't say that there's too much talking here, exposition or otherwise. You don't need much when you're just going to be putting up montage after montage of biking around the village. And the big crisis at the end? She ran out of gas and didn't realize it. General Hospital eat your heart out.

I'm honestly not sure what else there even is to say. This could have easily been a five minute episode on length of content, but I'm pretty sure the "nothing happens, tune out your brain and let twenty minutes of your finite life pass by in a blur" is the point. But then just go listen to some dumb ASMR thing on YouTube if that's your bag. God only knows how they stretch this out to an entire season. Usually these kinds of shows are just vehicles for "cute girls doing nothing," but this one seems to be much more focused on selling Honda motorcycles… by looking at shots of landscapes. Not the strangest advertisement for a motor vehicle I've ever seen, but I doubt the most effective.

Watching characters do something you also enjoy doing while learning things you also had to learn at one point. <- that's why people aside from the usual SOL crowd will likely enjoy it

there are 2 problems with your theory

1.-she doesn't do things that I enjoyv

2.-I have never bought a motorcycle and learned to use it
Apr 8, 2021 4:18 PM

Jan 2012
This show is so relaxing <33

Apr 8, 2021 4:26 PM

Apr 2021
Ah yes, this will definitely fill the gap after Yuru Camp ended, so far very chill and enjoyable ep.1.

btw, anybody know whats in these packages?
Apr 8, 2021 4:49 PM

Nov 2018
it's been a while since I watched top quality SoL and this was so good it made me tear up by the end of the episode, definitely going to be one of my fav shows of this season
Apr 8, 2021 5:02 PM
Apr 2016
Really loved it! I actually teared up watching this for some reason, whether it was the relaxing atmosphere or whatever it was, I really enjoyed it. Looking forward to this Slice of Life.
Apr 8, 2021 5:05 PM

Aug 2020
This episode was very cute. Koguma's life gets some colors after the bike's purchasing. The changing of her personality is interesting to see. This is an anime focused more on landscapes and actions than on words. The first time she speaks is in around the 5-minutes mark, but even with less words the story is entertaining in its own way. Can't wait for the next episode.

Apr 8, 2021 7:53 PM

Apr 2021
Mal should investigate and fix this quickly
This is certainly bots’ doing

Apr 8, 2021 7:56 PM
Jun 2020
Excellent first episode, personally I liked it and besides those it has classical music. Satisfied with the result.
Although I do hope that in the next chapter the plot begins to take course.
Apr 8, 2021 7:59 PM
Jun 2020
Woodmann said:

Woodmann said:

It's true, that mistake has been like this since I read the final chapter of Shingeki no kyojin.
Apr 8, 2021 8:43 PM

Jul 2012
Ok, this was beautiful.
I was expecting something like Yuru Camp but this looks more serious and drama-filled, which is interesting.
I loved its slow paced and chill nature. Definitely looking forward watching more!
Apr 8, 2021 8:46 PM
Apr 2019
I wanna buy a motorcycle right away!!!
Apr 8, 2021 9:54 PM
Dec 2018
Last season we have Non Non Biyori and Yuru camp and now this.
Great start. Hope she can find good friends soon
Apr 8, 2021 10:15 PM

Oct 2008
omg! such a chill peaceful show!
also, The VA looks is also similar to Koguma! nice!
5/5.

Apr 8, 2021 11:29 PM

Apr 2012
"Koguma have a new adventurous life" How adventrous are we talking? In the manga her mom just LEFT. Finding her could be an adventure! Bōsōzoku? Took off with an American biker? TO OAKLAND, CA? Hokuto City Horkew Kamuy MC/1%?
Apr 9, 2021 1:01 AM

Nov 2019
Great episode.
I loved that the start is not about a girl who transferred to new school and she has to join a club.
Apr 9, 2021 1:02 AM

Jan 2019
I did not expect to watch this anime but after I saw it turned out to be pretty good too, and the moment when she had a new bike reminded me of the first time I had a bike and couldn't wait to ride it for the next day, Koguma its pretty cute tho
Apr 9, 2021 3:02 AM

Jun 2019
This show is so relaxing. Also, Koguma is so adorable. Every time she smiles, my heart feels lighter. She's so precious. Loved the first episode. Looking forward to more of this show.
Apr 9, 2021 3:32 AM

Nov 2013
Art was very good. Relaxing show, similar to Non non biyori, but with a much sadder tone, considering how she has no parents and is alone and stuff.

This may well be my hidden gem of the season!
Apr 9, 2021 4:33 AM
Jul 2018
That was such a relaxing episode with beautiful scenery, designs and the amazing sound design. Animation in someone's like the butter spreading was so beautifully done although the CG shots looked horrible. Overall, it could have a little bit better, I guess the show lacks a bit of charm, but more characters will be introduced later on, so that's probably not going to be a problem for later on.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Super Cub Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 23, 2021

126 by Vene »»
May 27, 9:14 AM

Poll: » Super Cub Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 9, 2021

106 by ninjaberserker »»
Apr 30, 9:55 AM

Poll: » Super Cub Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 26, 2021

73 by ninjaberserker »»
Apr 29, 4:32 AM

Poll: » Super Cub Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 19, 2021

90 by ninjaberserker »»
Apr 29, 12:12 AM

» So how many episodes did you make it before buying a Super Cub? ( 1 2 )

Skarker25 - Apr 24, 2021

50 by ninjaberserker »»
Apr 28, 9:59 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.