Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »
Mar 3, 2021 6:43 PM
Jan 2018
Gilgameshuu said:
Someanime said:

Don't mind them;

@Gilgameshuu was always more compatible with melancholy than Hector, his job is to nitpick.

The others are either Tsunderes or shocked by how good this episode was, easily the best and the next ones will even surpass it; when was the last time we had a well-written female character in an Isekai? Never!

I don't know why you're so angry lol, I found the Episode good it's just that some people will be disappointed because of the buildup from last episode, the Episode rating already proves it. Don't know why you keep on trying to start an argument with everyone, I'm a source reader, and I was just a bit disappointed with the fight. Am I not allowed to express my opinion?

Kinda crazy how this episode have low rating, that emilia trial was completely blow my mind and satisfying as hell how she finally freed from haunting past and accept the reality, it's like adding finishing to the cake.

and yes, i'm a novel reader too and the fight sucks, can't deny, it was not the highlight of this season after all. I think they should invest more budget to scenes like Emilia falling to lake and that mirroring thing. The Budget for fight scenes can be put in Arc 5 (REALLY HOPE it was not DISSAPOINTING) or else I cry.
Mar 3, 2021 6:59 PM

Dec 2014
It's settled then, it hurts when Emilia cries but it also hurts just as hard when Echidna tears up too. I don't know why but I just felt so sad when she teared up and said she hated Emilia. :(

E.M.T has come a long way, I'm proud and happy.
Mar 3, 2021 7:32 PM
Jul 2017
Gilgameshuu said:
Someanime said:

Don't mind them;

@Gilgameshuu was always more compatible with melancholy than Hector, his job is to nitpick.

The others are either Tsunderes or shocked by how good this episode was, easily the best and the next ones will even surpass it; when was the last time we had a well-written female character in an Isekai? Never!

I don't know why you're so angry lol, I found the Episode good it's just that some people will be disappointed because of the buildup from last episode, the Episode rating already proves it. Don't know why you keep on trying to start an argument with everyone, I'm a source reader, and I was just a bit disappointed with the fight. Am I not allowed to express my opinion?

When your pfp is Regulus' back, it's hard not to be critical. Also, you're allowed to express your melancholy. I was just pointing out that you do nothing other than that. How about appreciating the length of the episode? I'm not angry btw.
Mar 3, 2021 7:35 PM

Apr 2020
I had to say, Emilia's 2nd trial is one of the best scenes of the 2nd cour of Re:Zero 2. I SAID IT!

Emilia bonding out with Fortuna and Betelgeuse is one of the most bittersweet moments I've seen for a while. On one hand, you have this sweet couple bonding with a very young, and charming Emilia. But on the other, Tappei pulls a prank and we know that this world may never exist anymore. Even Echidna is goddamn crying on Emilia's ideal world, she really envies Emilia's life on some regard. And once Emilia fell into the lake, it somewhat tells me that Emilia already accepts herself and her present life. The second trial is over, and what awaits her is a large crowd of the Irlam villagers and the demihumans of the Sanctuary. They cheer for Emilia as she will finally take the last trial, while also knowing that Ram & Puck are fighting Roswaal the Clown (wow they didn't show us the fight scene, oh well). This is the first and last time we're going to witness the 3RD TRIAL, and oh boy something tells me this will be great. We will finally look into a possible disastrous future of Re:Zero, let's go!!!

Meanwhile, in the mansion, Garfiel is valiantly fighting Elsa. I LOVE THAT HE SMACKS ELSA'S HEAD INTO A WALL, WAY TO GO!!! Frederica manages to save Rem, while Subaru is thrown from Beatrice's library, pissing her off. They manage to escape the mansion, as Frederica will face off Meili and her hippopotamus. Oh boy, last 3 episodes of Re:Zero, LET'S SEE HOW THIS ALL ENDS!
Mar 3, 2021 7:48 PM
Jul 2018
I don't think this episode was terrible, but once again, while I'm very curious about the plot and where it's going, I'm having difficulty caring about most of the characters.

While they're both completely different shows, Re: Zero kind of reminds of Breaking Bad, in that they're both shows that heavily rely on character drama, and dramatic scenes to hook the audience. But in Breaking Bad, all the drama feels nuanced, whereas in Re: Zero, I feel like the show is rubbing a metaphorical soap in my face constantly while telling me to feel for the characters.

The characters don't feel like real people to me at all; they act like anime characters. Their personalities are mostly one-note. Most of them don't have any engaging flaws that I can connect to, like in Neon Genesis Evangelion; an anime that consists of some of the most realistic characters in anime. A lot of the characters in Re: Zero, like the loli maid, barely have any personality or screen time. Yet in this episode, they keep trying to create these emotional moments for characters that I don't feel warrant it. Although I think Emilia is the most nuanced character; as she feels the most down to earth, and her flaw (which the anime LOVES to point out constantly) of being emotionally reliant on other people, is interesting, and very realistic. Even though I think he's a terrible character, Subaru's arc was also interesting.

And the monologues, Jesus, I was just waiting for Subaru to yell at Beatrice to shut the f*ck up; these characters are constantly having these melodramatic monologues. And it's not that monologues can't work; I think the monologues in Fate/Zero were fantastic; except in Fate/Zero, I recall that there were very few monologues, and those few monologues, like between Kirei and Gilgamesh, were about philosophical ideas, such as the nature of sin and whatnot. I feel that you can take all the monologues in Re: Zero, and cut each of them in half.

Why is it that shows like Breaking Bad can convey the emotional turmoils, flaws, and whatnot, without characters constantly having self-pity or psychoanalyzing monologues, but Re: Zero can't? Why are light novel adapted anime like this? And no, it's not because they're adapted from books; I've read quite a few books; and none of the books I read rely on characters having so many unnecessarily long stupid monologues.

But there were some stuff I liked in this episode: I thought Subaru telling Beatrice she was an idiot was hilarious, and that she should get up and grow up a pair. I can't help but feel that the subtext here is: Subaru is at a point in the anime where he's already gone through his, "emo phase." So I think he's essentially frustrated with characters like Emilia, and especially Beatrice, for not getting over those phases. Especially Beatrice, given she sat on her ass doing nothing for 400 years. I also really liked how Echidna seemed angry, but jealous of Emilia; I think the subtext here has something to do with Echidna not liking how Emilia seems to be able to get over her past, whereas Echidna can't (whatever her inner turmoil is).

But hey; most people really like this anime and this episode, and to them I say, cool, more power to you.
Mar 3, 2021 7:50 PM

Feb 2013
Enrav1x said:
swirlydragon said:

LAKE SCENE WAS SO BEAUTIFUL!!!! OMG!!!
I also loved Fortuna wearing a hat xD
Loved Emilia's second trial. I wish this was her reality instead of what it ACTUALLY IS NOW! :(
Tappei PLEASE MAKE THIS A REALITY T.T
I want to see Emilia happy with Fortuna like she was in her second trial! But all she gets is suffering.
I wish Emilia lived with Fortuna, Arch, Geuse, etc in Elior forest forever :(
"happiness reflected in the water"

I think it's more about how Emilia is more self-aware than before Subaru's kiss. The whole image reflected in their eyes effect was to convey one looking deeply to each other, and now Emilia is looking to herself finally, making a journey of self-discovery. This imagery conveys it very well in my point of view.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Mar 3, 2021 7:53 PM

Jan 2013
gianni said:
_zrush said:

If you don't like the dialogue, then stop watching lol

Another gatekeeper of anime. Can people not post their opinions on a public forum anymore?

Nope..Fan bois are in full force for this subpar anime. Gonna see the boring trash through to give it a fair score it deserves.
Mar 3, 2021 7:57 PM

Mar 2019
First Half: Great

Second Half: Very Good

Conclusions: #TeamBetty Always & Forever.
Nyan-Pasu!... [ Ara Ara ] [ Waifus ]
Mar 3, 2021 7:57 PM
Jul 2018
LyST_02 said:
Why did they have to end it when Emilia wanted to finish her third trial...

I mean, I think it's a good cliffhanger; especially when some important stuff happened in this episode.
Mar 3, 2021 7:59 PM
May 2020
I liked the part with the characters
Mar 3, 2021 8:22 PM

Jan 2013
I just realized how many things are happening at the same time! At least we got the 2nd trial cleared out.

Emilia has grown so much, i still can't believe that. She dealt with the trial easily but this third one will be hard, especially after what Echidona said. And i still can't believe that Beatrice wasn't convinced yet, she's such a pain, Subaru should have optimized the speech as he did with Emilia, non stop go go go.

Can't wait for the next episode!
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Mar 3, 2021 8:34 PM

Feb 2013
ViktorLocke said:
(...) I'm having difficulty caring about most of the characters.

While they're both completely different shows, Re: Zero kind of reminds of Breaking Bad, in that they're both shows that heavily rely on character drama, and dramatic scenes to hook the audience. But in Breaking Bad, all the drama feels nuanced, whereas in Re: Zero, I feel like the show is rubbing a metaphorical soap in my face constantly while telling me to feel for the characters.

The characters don't feel like real people to me at all; they act like anime characters. Their personalities are mostly one-note. Most of them don't have any engaging flaws that I can connect to, like in Neon Genesis Evangelion; an anime that consists of some of the most realistic characters in anime. A lot of the characters in Re: Zero, like the loli maid, barely have any personality or screen time. Yet in this episode, they keep trying to create these emotional moments for characters that I don't feel warrant it. Although I think Emilia is the most nuanced character; as she feels the most down to earth, and her flaw (which the anime LOVES to point out constantly) of being emotionally reliant on other people, is interesting, and very realistic. Even though I think he's a terrible character, Subaru's arc was also interesting.

And the monologues, Jesus, I was just waiting for Subaru to yell at Beatrice to shut the f*ck up; these characters are constantly having these melodramatic monologues. And it's not that monologues can't work; I think the monologues in Fate/Zero were fantastic; except in Fate/Zero, I recall that there were very few monologues, and those few monologues, like between Kirei and Gilgamesh, were about philosophical ideas, such as the nature of sin and whatnot. I feel that you can take all the monologues in Re: Zero, and cut each of them in half.

Why is it that shows like Breaking Bad can convey the emotional turmoils, flaws, and whatnot, without characters constantly having self-pity or psychoanalyzing monologues, but Re: Zero can't? Why are light novel adapted anime like this? And no, it's not because they're adapted from books; I've read quite a few books; and none of the books I read rely on characters having so many unnecessarily long stupid monologues. (...)

Well, you see, there are two types of narrative used in most books, plays, movies and even anime: existentialist-ly or lyrically. The first form is established with chronicles authors from the 1800s with the dawn of romantic literature and the rise of Realist movement. It's also the case that the whole world was changing with events such as Enlightenment movement, Industrial Revolution, WW1 and WW2... In middle of all that, the romantic phase ceased to give place to Realism, which gave birth, in middle of these events and even moved them in some way, the EXISTENTIALIST philosophy. So they completely obliterated the old form of conveying, which the Enlighten usually seen as "romantic". Realist and after existentialist literature and other stories alike are focused in a very verisimilar development of the characters, depicting all of their angst and joy from life through methodically building up true-like situations in details, so all readers can fully project themselves in as it was happening to them directly, however it might build niche'd narratives only. You can even search for the praise Fyodor Dostoyevsky received from Sigmund Freud, the same one who inspired Hideaki Anno on making the psychoanalysis points in Evangelion. I think Breaking Bad is also inspired in that way, as most great American and British TV series tend to do. The thing is that it's not the only way you can tell a story.

Lyrics, songs, old chronicles, they all come from epics of old mythology... They are all told and spoken in lyrical structure. It works with archetypical references (Carl Jung vibes here) mixed with (1) epic deeds from the main characters, which can withstand the status quo barrier and do something greater than it's expected from them; (2) and with musical/lyrical poetry. The most common structure is called "The Monomyth" a.k.a "The Hero's Journey", as Joseph Campbell once described, although it's not followed in all cases. Over the years, that form of composition suffered several changes, as it's more seen nowadays as only the "referential narrative", as I would call it, which essentially means that it's not interested in develop all characters as human beings and rather as avatars of a deeper meaning that might be in the collective consciousness, so they are appealing to most everyone, since it can be understood in an universal "language" rather than focusing in a specific problem that only regionals can relate to. Although I might say that some realists/existentialist authors could achieve the same deed, fusing it's heavily developed characters in an epic scenario. situation or even world crisis, such as the mentioned before, Dostoyevsky and Anno.

What does Re:Zero do? I do think that Subaru carries the weight of the world and gets rolled over every time, as Sisyphus does, because of Return by Death, so he's more an existentialist character. Contrary to him, I think most characters in Re:Zero serves more of a way of dealing with archetypical emotions, situations and trauma that people might get in, so they are mostly avatars to me that eventually can be more personified as the anime goes. The "melodramatic" parts, as you described, are to tell us more about these characters and get us not only to know them, but how different people from Subaru would deal with similar problems regarding being hold by the past, dissatisfied with the present and too anxious about the future.
So Re:Zero mix these two kinds of narrative all at once, not as many good anime do, but quite like them (Subaru is in an epic world, so he has to deal with archetypical characters and situations that are way above his control, but these archetypes are way verisimilar to human beings and real situations than your typical adventure/isekai anime). So I don't think expecting greatly developed characters right the way would be a smart choice. It'd be rather great to appreciate the message behind the scenarios presented to you so far in the show and having some characters growing great, just as Emilia is doing. Although I suspect that she's getting quite cocky because of Subaru's and villagers' cheers, so it may be interesting to see if the third test can really breaks at least a little of all that optimistic turn of events we've been seen thus far since the start of Season 2 Part 2.
TebaldiMar 6, 2021 5:31 AM

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Mar 3, 2021 9:16 PM
Jul 2018
Tebaldi said:

Well, you see, there are two types of narrative used in most books, plays, movies ans even anime: existentialist-ly or lyrically. The first form is established with chronicles authors from the 1800s with the dawn of romantic literature and the rise of Realist movement. It's also the case that the whole world was changing with events such as Enlightenment movement, Industrial Revolution, WW1 and WW2... In middle of all that, the romantic phase ceased to give place to Realism, which gave birth, in middle of these events and even moved them in some way, the EXISTENTIALIST philosophy. So they completely obliterated the old form of conveying, which the Enlighten usually seen as "romantic". Realist and after existentialist literature and other stories alike are focused in a very verisimilar development of the characters, depicting all of their angst and joy from life through methodically building up true-like situations in details, so all readers can fully project themselves in as it was happening to them directly, however it might build niche'd narratives only. You can even search for the praise Fyodor Dostoyevsky received from Sigmund Freud, the same one who inspired Hideaki Anno on making the psychoanalysis points in Evangelion. I think Breaking Bad is also inspired in that way, as most great American and British TV series tend to do. The thing is that it's not the only way you can tell a story.

Lyrics, songs, old chronicles, they all come from epics of old mythology... They are all told and spoken in lyrical structure. It works with archetypical references (Carl Jung vibes here) mixed with (1) epic deeds from the main characters, which can withstand the status quo barrier and do something greater than it's expected from them; (2) and with musical/lyrical poetry. The most common structure is called "The Monomyth" a.k.a "The Hero's Journey", as Joseph Campbell once described, although it's not followed in all cases. Over the years, that form of composition suffered several changes, as it's more seen nowadays as only the "referential narrative", as I would call it, which essentially means that it's not interested in develop all characters as human beings and rather as avatars of a deeper meaning that might be in the collective consciousness, so they are appealing to most everyone, since it can be understood in an universal "language" rather than focusing in a specific problem that only regionals can relate to. Although I might say that some realists/existentialist authors could achieve the same deed, fusing it's heavily developed characters in an epic scenario. situation or even world crisis, such as the mentioned before, Dostoyevsky and Anno.

What does Re:Zero do? I do think that Subaru carries the weight of the world and gets rolled over every time, as Sisyphus does, because of Return by Death, so he's more an existentialist character. Contrary to him, I think most characters in Re:Zero serves more of a way of dealing with archetypical emotions, situations and trauma that people might get in, so they are mostly avatars to me that eventually can be more personified as the anime goes. The "melodramatic" parts, as you described, are to tell us more about these characters and get us not only to know them, but how different people from Subaru would deal with similar problems regarding being hold by the past, dissatisfied with the present and too anxious about the future.
So Re:Zero mix these two kinds of narrative all at once, not as many good anime do, but quite like them (Subaru is in an epic world, so he has to deal with archetypical characters and situations that are way above his control, but these archetypes are way verisimilar to human beings and real situations than your typical adventure/isekai anime). So I don't think expecting greatly developed characters right the way would be a smart choice. It'd be rather great to appreciate the message behind the scenarios presented to you so far in the show and having some characters growing great, just as Emilia is doing. Although I suspect that she's getting quite cocky because of Subaru's and villagers' cheers, so it may be interesting to see if the third test can really breaks at least a little of all that optimistic turn of events we've been seen thus far since the start of Season 2 Part 2.

First off, I want to thank you for being polite. The few times I have posted on anime discussion, I have been bombarded with condescending replies, because of my negative opinions.

However, I am confused by much of your post: I tried looking up what existential storytelling refers to. Based on your post, I assumed that existential storytelling refers to a different type of storytelling; not the philosophy of existentialism, which basically states, "Life has no meaning, but we can create our own meaning." However, I haven't found any sources that explains existential storytelling as a form of storytelling. Rather, existential storytelling implies that the story refers to the philosophy of existentialism.

Regarding lyrical storytelling, I haven't found a source on Google that specifies what exactly lyrical storytelling is; other than it referring to storytelling in songwriting.

I can understand why Re: Zero can be seen as a kind of epic; since it's very fantasy based. But that's the only connection I see it to being an epic.

"(1) epic deeds from the main characters, which can withstand the status quo barrier and do something greater than it's expected from them"
But that's most main characters in story in general; most protagonists in storytelling tend to do greater things than they are expected to do.

"(2) and with musical/lyrical poetry. The most common structure is called "The Monomyth" a.k.a "The Hero's Journey", as Joseph Campbell once described, although it's not followed in all cases."
I think it's safe to say most anime that are about something out of our reality; such as fantasy, supernatural, tend to follow the hero's journey. I don't understand how this connects to Re: Zero in a meaningful way.

"Over the years, that form of composition suffered several changes, as it's more seen nowadays as only the "referential narrative", as I would call it, which essentially means that it's not interested in develop all characters as human beings and rather as avatars of a deeper meaning that might be in the collective consciousness, so they are appealing to most everyone, since it can be understood in an universal "language" rather than focusing in a specific problem that only regionals can relate to."
I don't understand how a character can appeal to more people, by behaving less as a person, and more of a theme.

"Although I might say that some realists/existentialist authors could achieve the same deed, fusing it's heavily developed characters in an epic scenario. situation or even world crisis, such as the mentioned before, Dostoyevsky and Anno."
I don't understand what Re: Zero has anything to do with existentialism; the world that Subaru inhabits very much has meaning; society functions normally, for the most part. It's not a dark apocalyptic landscape of any sort.

"What does Re:Zero do? I do think that Subaru carries the weight of the world and gets rolled over every time, as Sisyphus does, because of Return by Death, so he's more an existentialist character."

I don't understand how you can compare Subaru to Sissyphus; because Sissyphus is cursed to roll a boulder up a hill, only for it to come back down, forever; yet he has to continue doing the exact same thing, over and over again, with no different results. That is the embodiment of absurdism.

Again, I don't understand how Subaru represents exisentialism in any way; the world around him, his life, clearly had meaning from the get go.

"Contrary to him, I think most characters in Re:Zero serves more of a way of dealing with archetypical emotions, situations and trauma that people might get in, so they are mostly avatars to me that eventually can be more personified as the anime goes."

What kind of archetypical emotions? The characters' issues in Re: Zero are quite out there, and different from our reality. For example, Beako's whole promise schtick that she stuck with for years, I don't understand how this parallels to reality?

Plenty of great stories portray each of their characters as representing something; but they do so while developing them as people.

"The "melodramatic" parts, as you described, are to tell us more about these characters and get us not only to know them, but how different people from Subaru would deal with similar problems regarding being hold by the past, dissatisfied with the present and too anxious about the future."
That's the thing; I don't need to watch the characters monologue for 5 minutes about their crisis's to understand the basic gist of their problems. For example, when Emilia monologued about how much she wants to be like everyone else she met, by going through every character, she could've easily just said, "I want to be strong like the other people I've met," while the anime would show a quick visual montage of the other characters. Re: Zero seems to love to indulge in its dialogue; I can't help but feel the writer wasn't told, or didn't consider, cutting out any of the fat from the original draft of the dialogue.

"So Re:Zero mix these two kinds of narrative all at once, not as many good anime do, but quite like them (Subaru is in an epic world, so he has to deal with archetypical characters and situations that are way above his control, but these archetypes are way verisimilar to human beings and real situations than your typical adventure/isekai anime)."
How are they similar to actual people? The characters in Re: Zero are very quirky, and their situations are far beyond reality. For example, Subaru constantly yells, strikes poses, particularly in season 1. This isn't how a normal human being acts; this is how a cartoon character acts. Rem and Ram would constantly finish each other's sentences. Ram is ridiculously stoic, and condescending to Subaru for absolutely no reason.

" So I don't think expecting greatly developed characters right the way would be a smart choice. It'd be rather great to appreciate the message behind the scenarios presented to you so far in the show and having some characters growing great, just as Emilia is doing. Although I suspect that she's getting quite cocky because of Subaru's and villagers' cheers, so it may be interesting to see if the third test can really breaks at least a little of all that optimistic turn of events we've been seen thus far since the start of Season 2 Part 2."

I don't think a story's message matters, if I don't care about the execution of that message. And the message is kind of monologued, in this episode, with how Subaru told Beatrice to stop focusing on the past. And how in the previous episodes, Roswaal was constantly criticized directly by the other characters for sticking to the past. Emilia is the only character I think, who wasn't a victim of a psychoanalysis monologue.
Mar 3, 2021 9:58 PM
Sep 2020
I feel like they realised they wasted mad amounts of time with episodes 1-7, like they started making the episodes 30 minutes long, I wonder why. I was wondering how they would find the time to end this arc with only 4 episodes left, and clearly they decided to give themselves extra time since they didn't have enough.

It's so disappointing, especially when part 1 of season 2 was so great. I found they had already built enough intrigue and was excited to see it come together, but part 2 insists on building even more intrigue. As a seasonal show, episode 1 should have come out of the gates swinging, but they decided to double dip the world and this arc in several more layers of intrigue. I watched every episode weekly so it's been a while since I've seen episodes 1-7, but I could not tell you for the life of me what happened. I know I liked Garf's trial and it was really interesting to see why he has the scar. If I'm being honest, I probably wouldn't have disliked this part 2 if it was all released at the same time and I was able to binge watch it. It's not really made for a weekly viewing, there are too many small details that the show loves taking it's time to dwell on. This episode is just another example, they have like 6 different unique things going on at the same time: Beatrice's whole shebang, Garf vs. Elsa, Frederica vs. Mayla, Subaru and co. vs. The Guiltylowe, Ram and Puck vs. Roswaal, AND Emilia's Trial, all of which would get their own episode dedicated to them if it was a different anime. However, they CANT give them their own episodes, they only have 3 episodes left. Thinking back on part 2, I know for a fact Otto didn't deserve a whole episode dedicated to him, when we have all this to get through in only 3 episodes. Episode 3 was like, only the kiss between Subaru and Emilia with a little bit of a Garf fight. Sure he got his invisible hand, but they still need to go into more detail about it and show him learn to use and learn the consequences of doing so, they are creating more things to explain and show when they can't afford to. I find they are focusing on the wrong things, giving so much time to little moments of character growth or showing them agonize over decisions when there are really big and important events that they still need to show. I think this episode was really good, but again, the majority of the episode was just talking and explaining and building things up, instead of actually doing anything.

I understand that it's an adaptation of a light novel and that they are apparently doing an amazing job. However, it is an "adaptation", it's supposed to transform it from a book into a weekly show. The way of telling a story through a novel is very very different from telling a story in an anime or live action television show. Each episode of Re:Zero season 2 part 2 is apparently around 2 chapters of the light novel. The problem is that if you were reading the Re:Zero light novel and you could only read 1 or two chapters a week, it would probably suck. Books tend to take their time when telling a story (with exceptions obviously), and give much more refined attention to small details. The reason people don't care if a chapter in a book has very little happen in it (in my opinion) is because it's released all bundled together. If chapters started being sold separately at a weekly basis, authors would change the way they told the story to make sure something exciting happened every chapter. Most books don't really do that, because it's exhausting, and really exciting things need build up to have the proper impact. If exciting things happened every chapter, the reader would become numb to the excitement and the really important stuff would have less of an impact. Of course this is all based on my own personal experience with books and the books that I have read; I haven't read every book ever (also I'm not talking about manga, I have never read one and I don't really want to, and from what I've heard they do the "exciting thing happens every volume" thing and I don't read light novels since I don't like the way they handle translators: they sort of hide them and they don't give a bio or anything). I think Re:Zero should have put more consideration into the weekly viewing experience and been more harsh with what to keep and what to cut. Or, they should have waited and released them all at the same time. Or maybe it's my fault for watching it weekly. Re:Zero season 1 and season 2 part 1 is one of my favourite anime ever, period, and I think it is as close to perfect as any anime or live action show will ever get. But, I binged those seasons, with the exception of the last 4 episodes of season 2 part 1 I think. And honestly, looking back, I wonder if I would have felt the same if I had watched them weekly when they first came out. I definitely would have not liked it as much, and maybe I would have hated it.
Mar 3, 2021 10:00 PM

Aug 2019
Pretty big emotional roller coaster of an episode, things at the mansion are heating up now, Garf giving Elsa a run for her money and trying his best, i'm rooting for you brother. Subaru trys to evac Beatrice out and convince her to not be tied down in what's written in Roswaal's book of 100 original jokes, as well as the 400 year old contract she made. Maylie appears, this time with a big hippo. Ngl, although they haven't been shown a lot, Frederica and Petra's relationship really warms my heart and i love it, hopefully Frederica can make this last lap. Subaru carrying a sleepy Rem, Otto and petra resort to a secret backdoor exit, before fucking guiltylowe (what a name) appears. Things are looking extremely close rn.

Emilia's 2nd trial was great, she took it pretty well overall. Personally that whole scene hit a ton of heart strings for me, as the thought of a future were all the Pandora and seal jazz never happens, everyone lives, Fortuna, Geuse and Emilia living a happy life together as a family with the slight romance sparks between Fortuna and Geuse, and Emilia being innocent seiso, instead of the cursed fates they meet in reality, was something i always wanted. So them actually showing it really got me tearing up as ngl, their depiction of this happy future, was pretty spot on to my own depiction. Atlas fate is a cruel mistress, and there's a reason why its labelled an "unthinkable present". *sigh* I guess this is my second shot of copium

Echidna shedding tears of emotion was not something i thought was going to happen, but i guess it really shows how much she's developed since meeting Subaru and Emilia at the very start of Sanctuary, but also shows she's not just all witch of greed and no heart. A good reminder to why i love her character so much as well in the series.

Pretty meaty cliff-hanger as now we're in uncharted waters and don't know what could happen, those 8 words near the end were enough to hype me, thinking about the possibilities that could happen is going to eat at me all week lol.
Mar 3, 2021 10:10 PM
Aug 2019
SrPlatin_ said:
I don't know if it's this arc in particular or the fact that i am a few years older compared on when I started watchin Re Zero but this is starting to feel, for me at least, really boring.

Did we already passed the peak of Re Zero and the rest is just more of the same (or worse) or the pase starts to go a little bit faster on the following arc?
Less of the peak more of a starting line of Re:Zero. From here on after arc 4 it'll consistently get better.
Mar 3, 2021 10:10 PM
Jul 2020
Maaaan, the quality of animation breaks my heart but it is what it is. 5/5 episode as usual
Mar 3, 2021 10:36 PM
Feb 2016
Antearion said:
ChainxBastard said:
1) She didn't let him finish, which was an unexpected outcome.

2) You missed the point. Emilia's second trial was about accepting her CURRENT present (Subaru and the others) while rejecting her blissful present (life with Fortuna and Geuse). Whats more, one line alone was deeper than more characterization I've seen in a very, very long time.

And that's when she said in a quite indignant and annoyed manner, "Geez, just how long have I been protected?" If you watched the Frozen Bonds OVA (which it referenced) then you'll understand even more.

And finally, when she said how she looked LESS like Fortuna than she thought, was beyond any other character moment we've seen besides Subaru in Episode 18. Emilia is not only finding out more about who she WAS (past), but also, who she currently IS and WANT to be, which we saw flashes of in Season 1 even though she played a more passive role.

I used to be very neutral on Emilia at best and somewhat down on her, but now she's my second favorite character and watching her on screen is a gift. She's literally blowing me away with each scene. It's like watching a butterfly come out of a cocoon before your very eyes.

If you can't see that then maybe you need to rewatch the series.

1. You don't start off the sentence by calling someone a dumbass and expect them to let you finish lol. That's more of a lie advice lol. I feel like common sense wise he would just not have said that.

2. I got the point. It's not as deep as you making it. She accepted and that's good, but it hasn't been put into action. Hell she still being protected lmao. The second trail did not help with this. It's different for Subaru however, he accepted the RBD until he had to face the realities he may have left behind. The people that were effected by his death. The point I was making was, it didn't land as intend IMO. I didn't have to see her go on a picnic lol. I got the point and all the meaning, but I already knew the point because of the first trail lol.

3. I don't know need to re-watch the series. You (and some others) are just fan-boying lol. Nothing wrong with that lol. To me it wasn't an impactful episode and a lot of parts didn't make any sense. The writing was bad here or at least in the anime version.

1) He anticipated her response and replied in a blunt manner (because this is something he knew was going to happen of course) whereas in the previous loops he was far more sympathetic. It was dumb of him to be blunt, but that was the point.

2) The fact that you keep focusing on the picnic is what makes me think that it went right over your head. I already highlighted the dialogue that pretty much spoonfed you her growth in maturity and you gloss it over because she was having a picnic. I suggest you rewatch it.

3) You do need to rewatch and I'm not being condescending. There are details that you have missed in S1 and up until now in S2 that will in fact give you a more holistic view of Emilia as a character but again, if you're not open to doing so that's fine but I don't feel like holding people's hands right now. It's your opinion that it's bad, and I think your opinion is coming from a place of ignorance.
Mar 3, 2021 10:38 PM
Feb 2016
Vooo said:
gianni said:

Another gatekeeper of anime. Can people not post their opinions on a public forum anymore?

Nope..Fan bois are in full force for this subpar anime. Gonna see the boring trash through to give it a fair score it deserves.

Cool another troll. Time to report. Enjoy. You dedicate yourself to bait people every episode, but now we won't have to deal with you anymore.
Mar 4, 2021 12:02 AM

Apr 2020
Wow, that was quite the opening scene. Some really good fight animation. Elsa looks even tougher than I thought she is. Now that she is fighting Garfiel I think we can scale her power well.

Betty knows that Roswaal instigated this plan.
Ah, man Subaru. You were that close. Don't mess around when she is feeling that emotionally unstable. Damn, what the hell a hippo-dog thing. And that purple hair girl too. Oh, so her name is Maylie. Damn the other creature looks even Ghastly.
Oh shit, the unthinkable future thing! Subaru went nuts at this part.
Oh wow, so a future in which Fortuna and Guese did not die. Guese subconsciously winning women as always. Emilia is also setting them up lol.
Man, Emilia met with some admirable people in her life. She called Geues "To-sama", nice!
Wow, she got Echidan all emotional.

The villagers are here to greet Emilia!
"Face the disaster that is yet to come", this is new. A glimpse of the future maybe? or a high possibility? This is definitely not going to be a good one.
--AbiSa--
Mar 4, 2021 12:10 AM

Jun 2019
Vooo said:
gianni said:

Then why bother watching trash anime? if i were you i would drop it
Mar 4, 2021 12:28 AM

Jun 2015
Once more they slapping us down with another awesome eps. There is so many story threads happening with a large number of characters, but there stories are so interwoven and intense my memory leaves none behind and all I want is to see what happens next week!
To have you, Id give a billion lives A-Chan best girl
Mar 4, 2021 12:30 AM
Nov 2016
This was a pretty good episode, not gonna lie, it got me a bit emotional and the OST used was beautiful as well.

This is one of my favorites episodes in this season, probably my 2nd favorite one. I'm liking Emilia a bit more too, she's receiving some great character development.

Can't wait for the next episode.
Mar 4, 2021 1:27 AM
May 2019
Fantastic episode as usual, I especially loved the shot of Emilia seeing her reflection, She never looked in the mirror because of the hate she got but now she can thanks to Subaru she now accept herself and believe in herself, Watching Fortuna and Geuse really hurts since we know what really happened, One thing I didn't get is that why Echidna was crying?
Mar 4, 2021 1:39 AM
Oct 2015
gianni said:
TRASH.

Just give me the action already. Too much useless dialogue in the trial.

I’ve been disappointed with the useless dialogue this season too. But this episode’s dialogue was actually pretty great.
Mar 4, 2021 1:42 AM
Aug 2015
All the build up and we are getting close to the climax. In season one it was done perfectly.. This season and latest episode were boring overall. I swear if Subaru dies after all of his "work" again by something unexpected and the whole thing resets..I will be mad.
Mar 4, 2021 1:43 AM

May 2017
yo the 2nd trial was beautiful as fuck. favorite moment of the season so far.
Mar 4, 2021 5:17 AM

Dec 2012
Kinda lackluster episode

Mar 4, 2021 5:47 AM

Jul 2014
I know a lot's going on at this point in the story, but I feel like this episode would have definitely benefitted from choosing to focus itself on one of its two big plot threads, rather than doing both in one sitting like this. That said, Emilia's version of the 2nd Trial was very compelling and didn't go too over the top in terms of beating its point home like her 1st Trial so often did.

The battle at the mansion is also proving interesting, but the Beatrice plot line is still stuck where it has been for a while; her entire conversation with Subaru was almost identical to the previous one, other than Subaru refusing to be "that person" because he doesn't want to kill Beatrice.
Mar 4, 2021 5:56 AM
Jul 2018
these 4 different plot points going at the same time is not working for weekly anime onlys, they should just rearrange it.

I can only imagine how much it would piss me off after them teasing garfiel vs Elsa fight for 2 damm weeks.

Who do you blame though, LN? for this format or studios? for being faithful to the LN
Mar 4, 2021 8:16 AM

Oct 2016
Another fantastic episode! The Elsa vs Garf fight so far has been great, not Sakuga by any means but it's great. Always loved Elsa's knife sound effect, it's kind of annoying but also badass at the same time. Petra trying to smooth talk Meili was hilarious lmao.

Fuck, Emilia's "Unthinkable present" was so fucking sweet but also so fucking depressing, What could have been. Emilia calling Archi her "onii-chan" was great as well. I can't tell if Echidna was touched deep down, that is why she is crying but that is kind of un-Echidna-like, maybe she's really just crying of disgust. That scene were Emilia jumped into the lake was so fucking beautiful. And seeing Emilia be supported by the villagers and the sanctuary people is so nice after everything she has been through.

Damn, so much shit happening at the same time though. We got the Emilia trial, Garf vs Elsa, Frederica vs Meili, Subaru and Beatrice and Ram/Puck vs Roswaal, holy fuck. I am really looking forward to the next episode, that "Unimaginable future" is kind of worrying, I wonder what we're going to see.
Mar 4, 2021 8:22 AM

Oct 2020
Kinda lackluster episode

The duality of man
Mar 4, 2021 8:28 AM

Oct 2020
these 4 different plot points going at the same time is not working for weekly anime onlys, they should just rearrange it.

I can only imagine how much it would piss me off after them teasing garfiel vs Elsa fight for 2 damm weeks.

Who do you blame though, LN? for this format or studios? for being faithful to the LN

Same. Even in the web novel, it seemed quite strange to me that the chapters intersect. In that instant I knew that to some it would not seem fluid. But I love the show so much to notice it. I am simp from this anime
Mar 4, 2021 8:33 AM
Apr 2019
That 2nd trial of Emilia is interesting and also I'm a bit underwhelmed towards Garf vs Elsa fight, though it's still a good episode.
Mar 4, 2021 9:54 AM

Dec 2015
Can anyone explain to me what's the deal with Echidna's hatred towards Emilia? Is this going into spoiler theory perhaps? I really don't get her.
Mar 4, 2021 9:58 AM

Jul 2020

Oh nah wtf why best gir; crying

Mar 4, 2021 11:20 AM

Jan 2010
Oh god pls, stop...
After 2 seasons of flashbacks we deserve some action for good sake. I can't see this emilia show anymore, she's boring and lunatic, the trial was so cringe and useless. I was hoping Echidna to strangle her from behind.
I get it!! She's alone and she must fight harder, I swear it, can we move on now? Subaru's trial wasn't so long, I know that the author is trying to raise Emilia's fanbase because she's the FL and lose against all the secondary characters, but the more she steals time in the episodes the more I hate her.
Mar 4, 2021 11:31 AM
Feb 2021
Waller said:
I know that the author is trying to raise Emilia's fanbase because she's the FL and lose against all the secondary characters, but the more she steals time in the episodes the more I hate her.

I'm not going to comment about anything else you said, as I don't think that's worth engaging with, but this material was written around the time the first Re:Zero LN volume came out. The author is not trying to "raise the fanbase", please stop spreading disinformation because you are angry.
Mar 4, 2021 2:03 PM
Nov 2020
This show is starting to feel like a slice of life with action
Mar 4, 2021 3:24 PM
Nov 2016
By now most of you should know me and are probably aware that I'm a guy that disliked Emilia and hate the cringe moments in this anime but these flashbacks actually made me like Emilia more and this episode was pretty good for me, this is probably my 2nd best episode of this season.

The action scenes in this episode wasn't that good though but I don't mind, I'm not watching this anime for the action, I've never found the action scenes to be good here to begin with, I'm just watching it for the story.

I just wish they reduce the cringe moments but overall, it's a pretty decent season for me.
Mar 4, 2021 4:09 PM

Jul 2016
Waller said:
Oh god pls, stop...
After 2 seasons of flashbacks we deserve some action for good sake. I can't see this emilia show anymore, she's boring and lunatic, the trial was so cringe and useless. I was hoping Echidna to strangle her from behind.
I get it!! She's alone and she must fight harder, I swear it, can we move on now? Subaru's trial wasn't so long, I know that the author is trying to raise Emilia's fanbase because she's the FL and lose against all the secondary characters, but the more she steals time in the episodes the more I hate her.

Re:Zero was never about the action and we haven't got a single season of flashbacks yet.
And that's what Re:Zero is, a story about Subaru and Emilia. If you hate her so much and don't want to see her at all you'll hate all the following arcs.
You're surely better to drop the show now and spend your time on things you'll like more.
Mar 4, 2021 4:26 PM

Feb 2021
gianni said:
_zrush said:

If you don't like the dialogue, then stop watching lol

then stop offending them by saying such things
Mar 4, 2021 4:31 PM

Feb 2021
shane_nichols said:
dompsterfire said:
I hope they show more of ram and puck vs roswaal and the fight in the mansion later.

Betty once again making me feel depressed. Subaru got kicked out tho lmao.

We're getting the third trial next week.

1st trial: Confront the past.
2nd trial: Behold an unthinkable present.
3rd trial: Face the disaster that is yet to come.

hyped for next week!
Will the next episode spend 29 minutes of just fuckin Emilia and her dumb third trail?
if you wanna shit please use bathroom
Mar 4, 2021 8:44 PM

May 2020
Fun Fact: This is the "first" time Emilia has ever looked at her reflection, part of her contract with Puck states that he will be the one to fix for hair every morning, when he was gone it was Ram who would fix her hair, she was also not allowed to look at a mirror or go near any large body of water. She has been scared and ashamed of herself because of how she looks that is the same with that of the Witch of Envy, but in this episode, she has learned to accept that part of herself, and stop being afraid of what other people think and move forward

Note: by first time I didn't mean this is literally the first time, but it was a very long time since she has last looked at herself like this.
Mar 5, 2021 2:25 AM
Jul 2018
episode was more focused on emilia in my opinion I didn’t really like the fight of the mansion it was kind of interesting to know more about how it feels to be feeling with her past.
Mar 5, 2021 2:38 AM

Apr 2008
BistroClancy said:
I feel like they realised they wasted mad amounts of time with episodes 1-7, like they started making the episodes 30 minutes long, I wonder why. I was wondering how they would find the time to end this arc with only 4 episodes left, and clearly they decided to give themselves extra time since they didn't have enough.

It's so disappointing, especially when part 1 of season 2 was so great. I found they had already built enough intrigue and was excited to see it come together, but part 2 insists on building even more intrigue. As a seasonal show, episode 1 should have come out of the gates swinging, but they decided to double dip the world and this arc in several more layers of intrigue. I watched every episode weekly so it's been a while since I've seen episodes 1-7, but I could not tell you for the life of me what happened. I know I liked Garf's trial and it was really interesting to see why he has the scar. If I'm being honest, I probably wouldn't have disliked this part 2 if it was all released at the same time and I was able to binge watch it. It's not really made for a weekly viewing, there are too many small details that the show loves taking it's time to dwell on. This episode is just another example, they have like 6 different unique things going on at the same time: Beatrice's whole shebang, Garf vs. Elsa, Frederica vs. Mayla, Subaru and co. vs. The Guiltylowe, Ram and Puck vs. Roswaal, AND Emilia's Trial, all of which would get their own episode dedicated to them if it was a different anime. However, they CANT give them their own episodes, they only have 3 episodes left. Thinking back on part 2, I know for a fact Otto didn't deserve a whole episode dedicated to him, when we have all this to get through in only 3 episodes. Episode 3 was like, only the kiss between Subaru and Emilia with a little bit of a Garf fight. Sure he got his invisible hand, but they still need to go into more detail about it and show him learn to use and learn the consequences of doing so, they are creating more things to explain and show when they can't afford to. I find they are focusing on the wrong things, giving so much time to little moments of character growth or showing them agonize over decisions when there are really big and important events that they still need to show. I think this episode was really good, but again, the majority of the episode was just talking and explaining and building things up, instead of actually doing anything.

I understand that it's an adaptation of a light novel and that they are apparently doing an amazing job. However, it is an "adaptation", it's supposed to transform it from a book into a weekly show. The way of telling a story through a novel is very very different from telling a story in an anime or live action television show. Each episode of Re:Zero season 2 part 2 is apparently around 2 chapters of the light novel. The problem is that if you were reading the Re:Zero light novel and you could only read 1 or two chapters a week, it would probably suck. Books tend to take their time when telling a story (with exceptions obviously), and give much more refined attention to small details. The reason people don't care if a chapter in a book has very little happen in it (in my opinion) is because it's released all bundled together. If chapters started being sold separately at a weekly basis, authors would change the way they told the story to make sure something exciting happened every chapter. Most books don't really do that, because it's exhausting, and really exciting things need build up to have the proper impact. If exciting things happened every chapter, the reader would become numb to the excitement and the really important stuff would have less of an impact. Of course this is all based on my own personal experience with books and the books that I have read; I haven't read every book ever (also I'm not talking about manga, I have never read one and I don't really want to, and from what I've heard they do the "exciting thing happens every volume" thing and I don't read light novels since I don't like the way they handle translators: they sort of hide them and they don't give a bio or anything). I think Re:Zero should have put more consideration into the weekly viewing experience and been more harsh with what to keep and what to cut. Or, they should have waited and released them all at the same time. Or maybe it's my fault for watching it weekly. Re:Zero season 1 and season 2 part 1 is one of my favourite anime ever, period, and I think it is as close to perfect as any anime or live action show will ever get. But, I binged those seasons, with the exception of the last 4 episodes of season 2 part 1 I think. And honestly, looking back, I wonder if I would have felt the same if I had watched them weekly when they first came out. I definitely would have not liked it as much, and maybe I would have hated it.

Personally, I agree with you.

I think that this S2 (this second part in particular) was handled badly in terms of narrative and rhythm. Feels like the authors mostly limited to do the bare minimum without really doing anything to exploit the potential of animation storytelling. Even the drawing and animation quality is very hit-or-miss, S1 was hugely superior in that regard.

The actually are quite a few good ideas, but they seem to be used with no clear direction.

Maybe the pandemic is also to blame for this.
Mar 5, 2021 2:51 AM
May 2018
Re:Zero went from a suspense anime to a REALLY FUCKING SLOW slice of life. And don't get me wrong, I like slice of life, 3-gatsu is my favorite anime ever, but this shit is just too slow and this arc is way too long.
This part 2 doesn't deserve the thriller tag, remove it. The long-awaited fight was cut in the middle so Emilia can look herself in the mirror and speak 10 sentences in almost 20 minutes, just unbearable, sorry.
mczprkMar 5, 2021 2:55 AM
Mar 5, 2021 2:57 AM

Jan 2019
mczprk said:
Re:Zero went from a suspense anime to a REALLY FUCKING SLOW slice of life. And don't get me wrong, I like slice of life, 3-gatsu is my favorite anime ever, but this shit is just too slow and this arc is way too long.
This part 2 doesn't deserve the thriller tag, remove it. The long-awaited fight was cut in the middle so Emilia can look herself in the mirror and speak 10 sentences in almost 20 minutes, just unbearable, sorry.

You know Emilia never looked at mirror before so that makes her character development & that scene amazing? But ok, some people not get it.

People was crying first trial took 3 Episodes now they are crying it took 11 Minutes. It seems people going to complain anything anyway.

I hope people who binge watch entire season later can understand this masterpiece.

Looking for better series than Re:Zero
Mar 5, 2021 3:17 AM
May 2018
Okeanix said:
mczprk said:

You know Emilia never looked at mirror before so that makes her character development & that scene amazing? But ok, some people not get it.

People was crying first trial took 3 Episodes now they are crying it took 11 Minutes. It seems people going to complain anything anyway.

I hope people who binge watch entire season later can understand this masterpiece.

Masterpiece? You're letting the Emilia pillow do the talk for you, bud.´

They literally cut the only moment of suspense we have had this season, in a thriller anime, and after episodes and episodes of buildup, so the worst character in the series could have a picnic and look herself in the mirror. I couldn't care less, terrible structure and pacing.

Mar 5, 2021 3:24 AM

Jan 2019
mczprk said:
Okeanix said:

Masterpiece? You're letting the Emilia pillow do the talk for you, bud.´

They literally cut the only moment of suspense we have had this season, in a thriller anime, and after episodes and episodes of buildup, so the worst character in the series could have a picnic and look herself in the mirror. I couldn't care less, terrible structure and pacing.

You know Re:Zero is Fantasy Drama before than Thriller right? You kinda forgot Re:Zero is 8 Season Series and main character development is very important. This buildup is not just for this arc alone.

You want Subaru to die every episode? This time you will complain there is no progression. So people can complain anything ever happens, you can't make everyone happy.
OkeanixMar 5, 2021 3:28 AM

Looking for better series than Re:Zero
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu 2nd Season Part 2 Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Koito91 - Mar 24, 2021

618 by coelhopreto »»
Jun 14, 9:25 PM

Poll: » Did you like part 1 or part 2 of season 2 better?

castle2001 - May 26

19 by QcDiablo »»
Jun 11, 7:07 AM

» Rem have become most favourite anime female character!!! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ZXEAN - Jan 29, 2021

298 by Megaman-is-hard1 »»
May 16, 8:46 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu 2nd Season Part 2 Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Koito91 - Mar 10, 2021

534 by ymirstear »»
May 10, 4:29 PM

» am i the only one who thinks re:zero season 2 is just kinda okay? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

shmoomp - Jan 27, 2021

411 by AboutFollower03 »»
Apr 18, 8:56 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.