Forum Settings
Forums

Advanced MPC-HC Setup Guide - with madVR (v1.2) (Read note on first post)

New
Pages (28) « First ... « 26 27 [28]
Aug 18, 2016 6:32 AM

Feb 2015
Having built a new PC, I decided to try out MPC-HC, following this step-by-step guide. Got everything working just fine and then compared it to VLC. Visually, I'm not seeing much difference really. Even when comparing 2 same frames, zooming in on them, I only notice MPC's subtitles slightly sharper, that's about it. Sound, however, is a little more noticeable, and of better quality in MPC, so that's nice. Whether or not it's worth all the extra trouble, it's kind of hard to say...
Dec 14, 2016 6:37 PM

Oct 2011
Khaled1323 said:
just installed everything, any setting you guys recommended ?
Also what the setting for madVr scaling algorithms ?

i run in 980ti and i7-4770 and this is osd http://prntscr.com/dggdse

i recommend checking out madvr's forum on doom9 - there is tons of very informative stuff regarding resizing algorithms, etc. madvr's developer, madshi, has just created a new resizing algorithm called NGU that does wonders with resizing (especially standard def older anime) - it's very sharp and yet doesn't cause aliasing or ringing like most very sharp resizers and the performance hit is quite low compared to nnedi3 with supersampling - your 980ti can probably run almost anything you throw at it regarding madvr. doom9 forum link:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=146228 (tons of info, but takes some time to sort through it - try going to the end of the forum for ngu comparisons to other algorithms)
also, here is a page explaining what all the different settings on madvr do:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1709584#post1709584
and one more:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=259188
good luck and hope you find the information helpfull - you might as well put that monster gpu to work (wish i could afford one - i'm currently stuck with a 950 gtx due to crap finances)!
Dec 14, 2016 10:39 PM
Jul 2018
I'm on Linux, and I use the player that should never be named.
Jan 4, 2017 4:54 PM

Jan 2017
Faederwulf said:

How bad are we talking here? DivX bad? :p
Jan 4, 2017 6:31 PM
Jul 2018
doa9206 said:
Faederwulf said:

VLC. It gets a bad wrap with anime watchers.
Jan 8, 2017 4:32 AM

Oct 2011
Faederwulf said:
doa9206 said:

that's because vlc renders color by processing it wrong, is incredibly overburdened by programming bloat that causes all kinds of fun stuff like jittery pans and blocking, also it uses far more processing power than it should - if you're on linux i highly recommend mpv player which does everything well right out of the box and can do everything (and more) that mpc-hc + madvr can do with some minor tweaking of the config file - a great player for those on linux (or windows or ios) - personally i still stick to using mpc-be + madvr because i don't know a ton about programming/config files and i love madvr's new ngu resizing algorithm (makes 480p files look as good as 1080p), and also i'm a lazy bastard. i use mpv as my backup player if i come upon videos which mpc-be can't handle (which is very rare).......
octal9Jan 8, 2017 4:43 AM
Jan 8, 2017 11:53 PM
Jul 2018
octal9 said:
Faederwulf said:

that's because vlc renders color by processing it wrong, is incredibly overburdened by programming bloat that causes all kinds of fun stuff like jittery pans and blocking, also it uses far more processing power than it should - if you're on linux i highly recommend mpv player which does everything well right out of the box and can do everything (and more) that mpc-hc + madvr can do with some minor tweaking of the config file - a great player for those on linux (or windows or ios) - personally i still stick to using mpc-be + madvr because i don't know a ton about programming/config files and i love madvr's new ngu resizing algorithm (makes 480p files look as good as 1080p), and also i'm a lazy bastard. i use mpv as my backup player if i come upon videos which mpc-be can't handle (which is very rare).......

The problem with MPV is that there's no function to turn the sound up/down using the arrow keys or scroll wheel. In fact, I'm not sure how to change the sound on Linux MPV at all.
Jan 9, 2017 11:27 PM

Oct 2011
there's actually a way to do your own key bindings as well as mouse bindings (i'm not quite sure how myself) - check out the manual that comes with it, i think it's somewhere in there - mpv has endless ways of modding it - you can even extend the player via user scripts - there's a github for them: https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv/wiki/User-Scripts - again, if i wasn't so damn lazy and on windows it would probably be my main player - also users post config files over on 4chan from time to time if you're not up for writing yr. own (and yes, i know this is all way off topic, but it seems the guy who started this subforum has been m.i.a. for a very long time, so why not?)....
Feb 12, 2017 9:36 AM
Jan 2017
How can I use my AMD Radeon R7 M265 series Graphic card for madVR. It is using my Intel HD GRaphics 5500 and giving low performance. Please help
Feb 13, 2017 6:30 AM

Oct 2011
LordHikki said:
How can I use my AMD Radeon R7 M265 series Graphic card for madVR. It is using my Intel HD GRaphics 5500 and giving low performance. Please help
check out the madvr forum on doom9: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=146228
i'm not well versed on how to do this as i have a single gpu computer but the folks on doom9 should probably be able to tell you how, as many people have the same problem. if this doesn't work i found this method (seems to be the advice of most places i looked online):

Open catalyst control centre. If you haven't yet installed catalyst, just go ahead and download it from AMD site ,after entering your laptop details on the site itself.
Open CCC
Go to Settings icon on top right corner, set to Advanced view.
Go to power options/switchable graphics settings
If your application or game is visible in the list go ahead and change its status to High performance .
If it isn't present, add the application file (.exe) and then change its settings to High performance.
Now go to the battery icon, right click, select mobility option
Choose either balanced or high performance.
Now go back to CCC, under power options make sure the settings are changed to Maximise performance on the required power mode ( balanced/high).

good luck and enjoy anime the way it should look! i'm currently running a gtx 950 and can run most madvr settings on high or very high without dropping frames (if the video is 24fps or less and scaled to no higher than 1080p - i have to use lower settings for 30fps or higher and/or scaling to ultra hd). you should be able to run at least medium settings with your amd as the card you have is not a whole lot less powerful than my gpu (check out this comparison on gpu boss: http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-R7-M265-vs-GeForce-GTX-950)....
octal9Feb 13, 2017 6:44 AM
Feb 13, 2017 6:50 AM

Nov 2008
Is there any way to get the regular seekbar to show in fullscreen? I don't like the seekbar of MadVR.

Feb 14, 2017 5:03 AM
Jan 2017
octal9 said:
LordHikki said:
check out the madvr forum on doom9: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=146228
i'm not well versed on how to do this as i have a single gpu computer but the folks on doom9 should probably be able to tell you how, as many people have the same problem. if this doesn't work i found this method (seems to be the advice of most places i looked online):

Open catalyst control centre. If you haven't yet installed catalyst, just go ahead and download it from AMD site ,after entering your laptop details on the site itself.
Open CCC
Go to Settings icon on top right corner, set to Advanced view.
Go to power options/switchable graphics settings
If your application or game is visible in the list go ahead and change its status to High performance .
If it isn't present, add the application file (.exe) and then change its settings to High performance.
Now go to the battery icon, right click, select mobility option
Choose either balanced or high performance.
Now go back to CCC, under power options make sure the settings are changed to Maximise performance on the required power mode ( balanced/high).

good luck and enjoy anime the way it should look! i'm currently running a gtx 950 and can run most madvr settings on high or very high without dropping frames (if the video is 24fps or less and scaled to no higher than 1080p - i have to use lower settings for 30fps or higher and/or scaling to ultra hd). you should be able to run at least medium settings with your amd as the card you have is not a whole lot less powerful than my gpu (check out this comparison on gpu boss: http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-R7-M265-vs-GeForce-GTX-950)....

Thanks for the help. The performance increased a little bit but the frame dropes are still there in exclusive mode on medium settings. Now I am watching on defaults settings of madVR which was running absolutely fine. Thanks again for replying.
Feb 15, 2017 5:03 AM

Oct 2011
LordHikki - if haven't already, try running madvr in windowed full screen rather than full screen exclusive - you may have less frame drops (i recently switched to non-exclusive mode and have much better stability/less frame drops than before + i don't have to wait forever for the video player to switch in and out of full screen mode and can see chapter markers in the seek bar).
Feb 15, 2017 5:10 AM

Oct 2011
Ezekiel said:
Is there any way to get the regular seekbar to show in fullscreen? I don't like the seekbar of MadVR.
the only way to get the regular seek bar is to switch out of exclusive mode (although you can't output full 10 bit in this mode, which in my opinion isn't much of a drawback, as the only monitors/tv's that can render in full 10 bit are very rare and/or extremely expensive) (or you could use the piece of s#$t potplayer - i wouldn't recommend this as potplayer is way bloated, does frequent call backs to some server in korea, and steals almost all of its' code from open-source projects like mpc, lav filters, xysubfilter, etc. while remaining closed source and giving none of the above projects credit). it's nigh on impossible to see the difference between a 10 bit or 8 bit monitor - for me the most important thing in a monitor is accurate color rendering and the ability to either match the videos frame rate exactly or to run at an exact multiple of the frame rate. this is especially important in anime as it's very easy to notice judder in fast motion or in pans. currently i'm running a benq that can run up to 144hz and it is the best computer investment i've ever made - i don't have to run smooth motion at all, so no blurriness or judder. the first time i saw anime run smooth as silk was beautiful! as i said above non-exclusive mode really has very few drawbacks and is as stable or more than exclusive mode. in the old days this was not the case, but it's real nice now!

p.s. - love the avatar - i'm currently re-watching the sopranos for the nine trillionth time - has there ever been a more perfect tv show (other than the lame-ass ending)?
octal9Feb 15, 2017 5:31 AM
Feb 15, 2017 6:06 AM

Nov 2008
octal9 said:
Ezekiel said:
the only way to get the regular seek bar is to switch out of exclusive mode (although you can't output full 10 bit in this mode, which in my opinion isn't much of a drawback, as the only monitors/tv's that can render in full 10 bit are very rare and/or extremely expensive) (or you could use the piece of s#$t potplayer - i wouldn't recommend this as potplayer is way bloated, does frequent call backs to some server in korea, and steals almost all of its' code from open-source projects like mpc, lav filters, xysubfilter, etc. while remaining closed source and giving none of the above projects credit). it's nigh on impossible to see the difference between a 10 bit or 8 bit monitor - for me the most important thing in a monitor is accurate color rendering and the ability to either match the videos frame rate exactly or to run at an exact multiple of the frame rate. this is especially important in anime as it's very easy to notice judder in fast motion or in pans. currently i'm running a benq that can run up to 144hz and it is the best computer investment i've ever made - i don't have to run smooth motion at all, so no blurriness or judder. the first time i saw anime run smooth as silk was beautiful! as i said above non-exclusive mode really has very few drawbacks and is as stable or more than exclusive mode. in the old days this was not the case, but it's real nice now!

p.s. - love the avatar - i'm currently re-watching the sopranos for the nine trillionth time - has there ever been a more perfect tv show (other than the lame-ass ending)?
Wow, no wonder the transitions to fullscreen were always ugly on my setup. It was exclusive fullscreen mode. Thanks. My MX27AQ is only 8 bit, so no worries there.

I thought the ending was brilliant. But yeah, best TV show I've ever seen.

Feb 16, 2017 8:59 PM
Jan 2017
Ezekiel said:

Here are the steps to get regular seek bar.
First start any video, right click on the video and under Filters select madVR. Click on edit settings.
Now expand rendering and go to exclusive mode. Here uncheck show seek bar. That's all. Hope it helps.
LordHikkiFeb 16, 2017 9:03 PM
Feb 21, 2017 4:59 PM
Sep 2010
What to use for sub render? Internal? XySubfilter? Xy-VSfiler? After KCP died ive installed everything on my own from the newest builds, but the XySubfilter crashes on some anime or has major performance issues while doing some subs, as for now im using internal only for problematic anime. Dont bother saying assfiltermod as it has so many bugs that its worse than any of the previous mentioned ones.
Feb 25, 2017 6:19 AM

Oct 2011
Shineek said:
What to use for sub render? Internal? XySubfilter? Xy-VSfiler? After KCP died ive installed everything on my own from the newest builds, but the XySubfilter crashes on some anime or has major performance issues while doing some subs, as for now im using internal only for problematic anime. Dont bother saying assfiltermod as it has so many bugs that its worse than any of the previous mentioned ones.
a good alternative to xysubfilter is mpc-hc/mpc-be internal sub filter - it can do just about everything xysubfilter can do and has better performance - my only gripe about it is that you can only use integer numbers (i.e.: internal filter can set border width/shadow width/etc. only to whole numbers, while xysubfilter can use numbers with up to 4 digits after the decimal point - this is very important to me as i like to adjust the subs to look just right + i enjoy tinkering with my settings anyways). on the subject of assfilter mod - this project has much future promise as it runs much faster than xysubfilter and is still in active development, unlike xysubfilter which is currently pretty much dead - the downside is it can't be used in mpc-be and can't currently render vobsub or pgs (although the guy running the project says this is in the works. i'm using it in mpc-hc for stuff with .ass subs and running mpc-be with xysubfilter for everything else (the developers on be say they're not interested in adding support until assfilter mod becomes more functional). hopefully this happens soon because my personal choice for preferred player it mpc-be (much better user interface and many more updates than hc).
Jun 21, 2017 2:53 PM
Jun 2017
Please update the setup!!
May 9, 2021 1:49 AM

Nov 2011
It's been a while since I had to change PC, now I need to reset my MPC-HC, some of the parts are not mentioned in the guide (supposedly edited out I would imagine), details for xySub filter or LAV, and the graph for setting up madvr seems to be missing too. I am used to MPC-HC, it worked perfectly for me, can someone show me the updated guide please? many thanks
Pages (28) « First ... « 26 27 [28]

More topics from this board

» Are you using Linux???

DesuMaiden - May 2

25 by Thereisnoonehere »»
3 hours ago

» What are you playing right now? (v2) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Oct 4, 2020

3567 by Skyla »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » Nintendo the rising king of console industry!?

rohan121 - May 7

21 by Kurt_Irving »»
9 hours ago

» What Are Your Favorite Games? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ZeroTatsuyaYu - Mar 13, 2016

291 by Wobenroehseve »»
9 hours ago

» total games on your steam library ( 1 2 )

deg - Feb 22

60 by tinshard »»
11 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.