New
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (24) « First ... « 20 21 [22] 23 24 »
Jun 20, 2015 11:01 PM

Apr 2013
Ducat_Revel said:
Jodyqt said:
Watching LoGH, Texhnolyze and Tatami Galaxy doesn't make you an elite. :D

Buying paintings by Renoir and Cezanne makes you elite. But, yeah, I get your drift, JohnnyBme.

Honestly, watch Ashita no Joe and something from the World Masterpiece Theater. I've done neither and that's why I'm a pleb. Not even buying paintings by Pollock or Klimt can cure me of my plebiness.
lol
Yes we are all plebians. I do not have my own private gallery of authentic collected art-works. Life is so hard being uncultured. I can't possibly realize the true significance of such artworks and appreciate their influence on my temperament. I shall now retreat into sarcasm cause if I consolate in anything else I will become susceptible to the pathological ways of the pleb. Thankyou Ducat for enlightening me.
JodyqtJun 20, 2015 11:19 PM
Jul 14, 2015 11:08 PM

Sep 2009
gummyghost said:
could someone recommend me more anime to watch based on my list I love horror and supernatural basically anything dark, twisted or tragic. I will sometimes watch other genres but I prefer the later.

Blood C
Serial Experiments Lain
Paranoia Agent
Find me on:

Gaiaonline - Maleedawl
League of Legends - Maleedawl
Steam - Maleedawl
Aug 5, 2015 7:29 AM

Jul 2014
Any recommendations for me?
Mind that my list is very incomplete because i'm lazy
Aug 28, 2015 2:56 PM

Jun 2012
Monster
Cowboy Bebop
Haibane Renmei
The Tatami Galaxy
Texhnolyze
♬♪♫
RateYourMusic
LastFM
♬♪♫
Aug 30, 2015 2:06 AM

Nov 2012
What about me? I'm a casual. :v
Aug 30, 2015 9:23 AM

Apr 2012
ryuuji_xvii said:

...I can't see your ratings.
Um, here's some random shows:
- Hunter X Hunter (2011)
- Zegapain
- Ghost in the Shell SAC
- Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
- Cowboy Bebop
- Eureka 7
- Mobile Suit Gundam

I have no way to tell what you like, so some of the recommendations are based on stuff you've seen that you may want to see more stuff like (Kill La Kill and Gurren Lagann, Bebop and Champloo and so on).
"The more inexperienced you are, the more you want to show off."
- Oreki, Hyouka
Aug 31, 2015 5:42 PM

Nov 2012
sushiisawesome said:
ryuuji_xvii said:

...I can't see your ratings.
Um, here's some random shows:
- Hunter X Hunter (2011)
- Zegapain
- Ghost in the Shell SAC
- Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
- Cowboy Bebop
- Eureka 7
- Mobile Suit Gundam

I have no way to tell what you like, so some of the recommendations are based on stuff you've seen that you may want to see more stuff like (Kill La Kill and Gurren Lagann, Bebop and Champloo and so on).

I'm sorry for not showing. It's under construction. :v
Thanks for the recommendations anyway!
Aug 31, 2015 8:54 PM

Feb 2013
Anything like Black Blizzard? I don't mean Gekiga or its themes (although something with its theme would be good too) but in how it's done. Basically i want short stories, not one-shot short but 1-3 volumes long. Kinda like the length of Solanin and shit.
Sep 4, 2015 8:09 PM

Jul 2011
Sure, give me something
Sep 11, 2015 3:56 AM

Feb 2014
Zolf_Furudo said:
Any recommendations for me?
Mind that my list is very incomplete because i'm lazy

I don't know if I'm the best qualified to give recs, but here:
The Tatami Galaxy
Mugen no Ryvius
Nichijou
Welcome to the NHK
Dirty Pair
Oct 1, 2015 2:22 PM

Sep 2010
need recommendations
something not to long (2 cours top) with mecha, gar, space or psychologic

PS: my body isn't ready for LOGH

"Be who you are and say what you mean, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind" - Dr. Seuss
Oct 12, 2015 10:48 AM

Jul 2015
How do you all feel about Neon Genesis? Is it worth the watch?
Oct 13, 2015 6:10 AM

Apr 2013
Bell-kunn said:
How do you all feel about Neon Genesis? Is it worth the watch?
If you like Freudian-Existentialist character studies. Than you probably will like it.
Oct 13, 2015 6:19 AM

Sep 2012
Some people don't like it because the plot is deliberately obscured, there's a massive tonal shift in the middle, and the main character gets knocked down to about where he started at the end.

But unless you really think you're going to be one of those people who hates every second of it, I would say it's worth watching just to see the best action scenes alone. And a lot of people love the whole show anyway, so it's not taking too much of a gamble. I would skip the last two episodes and watch End of Evangelion instead, though.
Oct 13, 2015 6:22 AM

Apr 2013
Xykko said:
need recommendations

Limiting yourself to 2 cour leaves a lot of options off the table, most great anime that I know of are 3-6 cour (not to say there aren't great anime outside those brackets) but I'll comply anyway.

Mouryou no Hako
Mousou Dairinin
Planetes
Moonlight Mile
Boogiepop Phantom
Dennou Coil
Casshern Sins
The Big O
Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei
Zegapain
Armor Hunter Mellowlink
Sci-Fi Harry (not a fan of it, but it fits)
Texhnolyze

All fit the bill in one way or another - not too many gar though unfortunately
Oct 13, 2015 9:32 AM

Sep 2010
^thx @jodyqt after i finish kono azora and virus buster serge i think i'll start with paranoia agent and texhnolyze. i laready started tatami galaxy but i wasn't very fond of the first episode due to the weird artstyle, but i'll give it a second chance

"Be who you are and say what you mean, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind" - Dr. Seuss
Oct 14, 2015 12:05 PM

Jul 2015
Popka said:
Some people don't like it because the plot is deliberately obscured, there's a massive tonal shift in the middle, and the main character gets knocked down to about where he started at the end.

But unless you really think you're going to be one of those people who hates every second of it, I would say it's worth watching just to see the best action scenes alone. And a lot of people love the whole show anyway, so it's not taking too much of a gamble. I would skip the last two episodes and watch End of Evangelion instead, though.

Thanks!
Oct 14, 2015 12:06 PM

Jul 2015
Jodyqt said:
Xykko said:
need recommendations

Limiting yourself to 2 cour leaves a lot of options off the table, most great anime that I know of are 3-6 cour (not to say there aren't great anime outside those brackets) but I'll comply anyway.

Mouryou no Hako
Mousou Dairinin
Planetes
Moonlight Mile
Boogiepop Phantom
Dennou Coil
Casshern Sins
The Big O
Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei
Zegapain
Armor Hunter Mellowlink
Sci-Fi Harry (not a fan of it, but it fits)
Texhnolyze

All fit the bill in one way or another - not too many gar though unfortunately

Zegapain is GOAT. I need to get on with that show. But the explosions look absolutely terrible.
Oct 16, 2015 5:22 AM
Oct 2014
Anyone who could give me some recommendations? I'm all ears!
Oct 16, 2015 5:26 AM

Apr 2013
Jona3070 said:

Hmmm, you might like:

Kemono no Souja Erin
Boogiepop Phantom
Planetes
Mouryou no Hako
Oniisama E...
Black Jack
Rose of Versailles
Oct 16, 2015 7:06 PM

Jun 2015
I might ask for a bit of consulting since... why not (finding something worth the watch is always great):

If my favourite shows are all of those I rated above 8, should I prioritize anything in my p2w? Or, given the scenario, am I missing something relevant in there? Thanks in advance ;D
Oct 18, 2015 12:20 AM

Feb 2014
Lordwen said:
I might ask for a bit of consulting since... why not (finding something worth the watch is always great):

If my favourite shows are all of those I rated above 8, should I prioritize anything in my p2w? Or, given the scenario, am I missing something relevant in there? Thanks in advance ;D

Again, I don't know if I'm the best at this but I'll try my best! Most of them were already on your to-watch list, but still...

[*]Humanity Has Declined
[*]Mugen no Ryvius (I tell almost everyone to watch this because holy shit)
[*]Paranoia Agent
[*]Baccano!
[*]Detroit Metal City
[*]Natsume Yuujinchou

Curiously enough, would someone give me some recs, too? I'm curious ;w;
Oct 18, 2015 1:24 PM
Oct 2014
Jodyqt said:
Jona3070 said:

Hmmm, you might like:

Kemono no Souja Erin
Boogiepop Phantom
Planetes
Mouryou no Hako
Oniisama E...
Black Jack
Rose of Versailles

You have a great taste of anime! so, yeah... I'm just gonna go through your completed list ;)
Oct 18, 2015 2:04 PM

Jun 2015
soulhackers said:
Lordwen said:

Again, I don't know if I'm the best at this but I'll try my best! Most of them were already on your to-watch list, but still...

[*]Humanity Has Declined
[*]Mugen no Ryvius (I tell almost everyone to watch this because holy shit)
[*]Paranoia Agent
[*]Baccano!
[*]Detroit Metal City
[*]Natsume Yuujinchou

Curiously enough, would someone give me some recs, too? I'm curious ;w;
Indeed I already had spotted the majority of those, with the exceptions of Detroit Metal City (I was kinda reluctant to add this when I first watched it, now that you named it it might be the third or the fourth time I'm in the indecisive spot) and Mugen no Ryvius, that goes to my p2w.
Now I'd try to do same but I'm kinda out of focuss today
Oct 20, 2015 12:10 AM
Oct 2015
Greetings,

Today I come to you asking for assistance. I would like to be recommended anime like LOGH. I will list all the anime I have seen.
1st Logh & Gaiden (The Best Thing in the world)
2nd HXH (Best Shohen ever)
Everything else under it is not rated but considered good.
Code Geass
Death Note
Black Lagoon
Steins Gate
Berserk
Serial Lain (Had more questions than answers lol)
Monster (Still Watching don't ruin it)
Rose of Versailles.
Cowboy Bebop
Dragon Ball

Baccano was meh
Count of Monto Cristo was meh
Attack on Titan was meh
Psycho Pass was meh
Katekyo Hitman Reborn! was terrible. I gave it a huge chance to be great.
Oct 20, 2015 12:15 AM
Nov 2009
Yamato and Mobile Suit Gundam. There isn't really much like LOGH, just go through all the dusty old 80-90's mecha shows.
Oct 20, 2015 12:31 AM

Apr 2013
Aside from Mugi's recommendations.

The closest thing I can think of to the quality of LoGH politically speaking are:

Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex + 2nd Gig
Taiyou no Kiba Dagram
Aoki Ryuusei SPT Layzner (First arc only)
Rose of Versailles

None of these though undertake the same degree of attention to detail nor are they as ambitious.
Oct 21, 2015 4:15 AM

Apr 2010
Guys, can you recommend some good/cool/must see/classic OVA's from 80's and 90's ? Maybe something like Roujin Z. It was fun.
Oct 21, 2015 4:22 AM

Feb 2014
galimx said:
Guys, can you recommend some good/cool/must see/classic OVA's from 80's and 90's ? Maybe something like Roujin Z. It was fun.

Try Megazone 23, M.D. Geist, and Tenshi no Tamago.
Oct 21, 2015 6:17 AM

Sep 2010
galimx said:

samurai gold, hell target, guyver, violence jack series, baou raihousa, madonna, warau hyouteki, battle royale high school, one pound gospel, fire tripper, dead heat, rding bean (one of my favorites).
in here you have a little bit of everything. enjoy

Oct 21, 2015 11:01 PM

Jan 2014
galimx said:

They recommended you a lot but from what I've heard and read Area 88 is a must watch ova from that time.
Oct 24, 2015 6:16 PM

Jul 2015
Can you recommend me a short series to watch as well?
Oct 24, 2015 6:44 PM

Jul 2013
I'd like a recommendation for a series (6 episodes or less), OVA, or a movie to watch. Preferably a lesser known, older work. Even if it's somewhat flawed that's fine too but it has to solid overall. It can't be on my list. Fire away!!! :)
Oct 25, 2015 8:45 PM

Oct 2012
Alright. I'm about 50 chapters from concluding my Tezuka marathon. It's been fun but sadly, it's drawing a close. I'll probably do a Tezuka marathon part II some other time to read works like Ayako and Hi no Tori. I'll probably do it when scans for the last two volumes of Hinako no Ki come out.

Anyway, does anyone have a bunch of manga to recommend me? Preferably under 5 volumes but if you think there's a 7-8 volume work that's really that good, then I'll probably get to it to. I'd be better if it's not something from my Reading or Plan to Read list as I'll get to those in time (have to read Drifting Life asap anyway.) Thanks a bunch to anyone and everyone who hits me up. :D
Oct 26, 2015 8:36 AM

Nov 2013
Any recommendations for someone who thinks he's an elitist, but in reality he probably has garbage tastes (read: me)? I don't think I've fully updated the list, but it should be enough to get a grip.
Oct 27, 2015 11:20 AM

Aug 2015
could you guys give me any recommendations preferably shorter series as I don't get much time due to work
Oct 31, 2015 4:35 PM
Jan 2014
Someone give me a recommendation pls. I need something good right now.
Nov 5, 2015 12:58 PM

Jul 2011
Jeanptg said:

I'd say Kino no Tabi.
Nov 5, 2015 3:28 PM

Apr 2012
Jeanptg said:

Took a look at your favorites, here's stuff that are similar to stuff you like:
Nodame Cantabile
Yu Yu Hakusho
Princess Tutu
Kill la Kill
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
FullMetal Panic
Natsume Yuujinchou
Kara no Kyoukai
Perfect Blue
Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso
"The more inexperienced you are, the more you want to show off."
- Oreki, Hyouka
Dec 13, 2015 4:29 AM

Jun 2015
I haven't read any manga yet tbh, based on my anime list what do you think I could start with, given the occasion?
Dec 13, 2015 8:36 AM

Oct 2012
Lordwen said:
I haven't read any manga yet tbh, based on my anime list what do you think I could start with, given the occasion?

Aaaah~ What a nice question.

Vinland Saga, Vagabond, Hoshi no Samidare, Otoyemegatari, Onanie Master Kurosawa, and Subarashii Seikai are all good manga to start with.

Later on, if the feel to read really grows on you, check out Planetes, Ran and the Ashen World, 20th Century Boys, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Kakukaku Shikajika, Oyasumi Punpun, Solanin, Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou, Homonculus, Eden: It's an Endless World, Children of the Sea, Blame!, and Akira. From then on, it'll really be up to you searching around for the things you gravitate to.

I'd also suggest reading A Drifting Life later on to get a glimpse of the history of manga. Tezuka works like Adolf and Buddha are good too.
Dec 13, 2015 8:56 AM

Sep 2010
do you want manga you haven't seen the anime adaptation or do you don't mind watching the adaptation? what genres do you to initiate?
for starters i'd suggest usagi drop manga (one of the most unpredictable endings ever), slam dunk ( read teh last chapter with the anime second opening as the soundtrack for maximum feels) and another ( the adaptation was few points below the manga, but it's not that great)
depending on which genre you prefer i can narrow down some choices for you

Dec 13, 2015 9:36 AM

Apr 2010
Lordwen said:

Depends what you like. Just a few out of my list:

If you like some good dark fantasy with great art then Berserk
If you like some epic viking adventure then Vinland Saga
If you like some good psychological manga that deals with human analysis then Homunculus.
If you like something calm with subtle storytelling and minimal dialogue then YKK.
If you want a good story about coming of age with melanholical feeling, realistic characters then Oyasumi Punpun (or something other from Asano Inio - like Solanin)
If you want a timeless classic with extraordinary writting and great character development then Ashita no Joe.
If you want something more ecchi with a lot of kinky stuff and funny moments then Prison School.
Dec 13, 2015 10:16 AM

Jun 2015
Xykko said:
do you want manga you haven't seen the anime adaptation or do you don't mind watching the adaptation? what genres do you to initiate?
for starters i'd suggest usagi drop manga (one of the most unpredictable endings ever)
OMG you're so evil, mate. Don't worry, I already got that one spoiled xDD

Thanks Ducat and galimx, I'll take a note on those you mentioned. Until now I only had this in my P2R:

20th Century Boys
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun
Kareshi Kanojo no Jijou
Mars
Omoide Emanon
Ookami to Koushinryou (but this is a LN, so finding it will be tough)
Orange (no clue)
Oyasumi Punpun (I see it everywhere)
Roman Album: Taishou Dennou Dadaism Emaki - Despera (it didn't get an anime adaptation, shame)
Solanin
Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou (obviously)
Dec 13, 2015 10:24 AM

Aug 2009
I know it's obscure (yeah, nobody cares about it anymore), but there exist something called Manga E-list. As you haven't specified anything and seem to be looking for good manga in general, it should cover you for a while.

Lordwen said:

Roman Album: Taishou Dennou Dadaism Emaki - Despera (it didn't get an anime adaptation, shame)

I don't think this has been translated.
metamorphiusDec 13, 2015 10:29 AM
Dec 13, 2015 10:35 AM

Sep 2010
Lordwen said:
Xykko said:
for starters i'd suggest usagi drop manga (one of the most unpredictable endings ever)
OMG you're so evil, mate. Don't worry, I already got that one spoiled xDD

Thanks Ducat and galimx, I'll take a note on those you mentioned. Until now I only had this in my P2R:

20th Century Boys
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun
Kareshi Kanojo no Jijou
Mars
Omoide Emanon
Ookami to Koushinryou (but this is a LN, so finding it will be tough)
Orange (no clue)
Oyasumi Punpun (I see it everywhere)
Solanin
Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou (obviously)

damn it, thought you'd fall for the troll manga counterpart of boku no pico :/

Any of ONE, Asano Inio, Urusawa, Inoue or Tezuka are great ways to start with good manga. if you like the horror genre you can also check ito junji horror manga colelction (the lst volume with frankenstein might be one of the best stories i've seen adapted in manga) and drifting classroom from the godfather of horror umezu kazuo (not quite horror but thrilling)

Dec 13, 2015 10:49 AM

Jun 2015
metamorphius said:
I know it's obscure (yeah, nobody cares about it anymore), but there exist something called Manga E-list. As you haven't specified anything and seem to be looking for good manga in general, it should cover you for a while.

Lordwen said:

I don't think this has been translated.
I completely overlooked that option. But it's been worth it at least, hehe.

Yeah I also think that probably isn't translated. And obviously the anime'd been more interesting. Same with Lain, the manga is really derisory in comparison with the anime.
Dec 13, 2015 12:02 PM

Aug 2009
I mentioned the Manga E-list because plenty of what has been recommended, especially Ducat's list of excellent titles, is already there.

Lordwen said:

And obviously the anime'd been more interesting.

I had Despera (what an awfully fitting name) on my ptw list for years until MAL finally removed it entirely. A moment of silence for the anime that was never meant to be.
Dec 13, 2015 12:35 PM
Nov 2009
Lordwen said:

Yeah I also think that probably isn't translated. And obviously the anime'd been more interesting. Same with Lain, the manga is really derisory in comparison with the anime.

The manga adds to the anime, it's not the manga version of the anime. Same for the PS1 game.
Despera would have been a direct adaptation afaik since it was written by Chiaki and Ryuutarou (probably with some Abe input).

Also add Pluto to your PTR.

metamorphius said:
I mentioned the Manga E-list because plenty of what has been recommended, especially Ducat's list of excellent titles, is already there.

Lordwen said:

And obviously the anime'd been more interesting.

I had Despera (what an awfully fitting name) on my ptw list for years until MAL finally removed it entirely. A moment of silence for the anime that was never meant to be.

The anime is still in the works apparently since Abe said they got a new director but Kineta wanted to wait for some more concrete info to add it to the DB again.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (24) « First ... « 20 21 [22] 23 24 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The New Manga Enlightenment Camp - All plebes and Untermenschen MUST attend

Exinqt - Aug 21, 2015

32 by Ducat_Revel »»
Jul 17, 5:02 AM

» 10 Steps to Becoming an Anime Elitist

Deago - Jun 2, 2023

2 by AaronRRedfield »»
Jan 11, 3:52 PM

» Winter 2024 Overview

Deago - Dec 20, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Dec 20, 2023 8:24 AM

» Summer 2023 Overview

Deago - Jun 14, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Jun 14, 2023 7:48 PM

» Spring 2023 Overview

Deago - Mar 14, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Mar 14, 2023 8:25 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.