Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (24) « First ... « 20 21 [22] 23 24 »
Jul 30, 2020 4:35 AM

Sep 2016
WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK WE ARE!!!!!????
Aug 8, 2020 2:31 AM

Feb 2019
What a journey this is.

This battle is on multi universes scale lol, poor Simon and Nia
Based Certified.
I love anime armpits.
Aug 12, 2020 3:14 AM
Apr 2020
In the end the hero is a nobody... sad truth
Aug 29, 2020 9:43 AM
Jul 2019
This is the definition of a bittersweet ending. Something that you like but feels like there's still regret lingering in it. Simon has already lost the most important person to him, why did you have to do the same to the second? I will miss Nia as much as I miss Kamina.

Anyway, never has a series blown me away like this. You just sit back, relax and take it all in. Disregard everything, just enjoy the action and let everything out. The visuals and animation are phenomenal. It's very rough, something you'll see in a sketch book but that allowed it to be more expressive and have power. The same goes for sound. The soundtracks are so catchy, you can't help but bop your head to it. The opening, Sorairo Days is one of the best OPs I've heard. It just slaps. The other one that you hear in the preview is one of the most uplifting songs ever. Hope in music form. Characters are well-written. It's amazing how they managed to flesh out Kamina in such a short time span. He's such a good character. I cried like a baby when he died, and a little tear comes out everytime he appears after that. That's how great a character he is.

I feel empty now. 10/10, masterpiece.

Oh, and I recommend watching this. Treat it as episode 28 of the series. It talks about different aspects of the series that a lot of people failed to see and also shows that it's not just an over the top super mecha show.
SomeGuyWithHairAug 29, 2020 11:56 PM
Sep 12, 2020 8:07 AM
Oct 2016
ending makes no sense, he acts like he could bring them back but chooses not to because???
Sep 16, 2020 2:46 PM

Feb 2012
Ok... why did some characters age so much in 20 years and others didn't

Yoko should only be in her 40s.

Viral didn't age because he's a Beastman

But why is Leeron still young as he was since the first arc?

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Dec 17, 2020 6:11 AM
Oct 2020
Oh My God! Just finished the whole series and this is by far one of the classics and best anime series that I've watched. I can't stop from being sad because of how good yhe story especially it's ending is. I can't even move on from what happened, I finished the series at night and gave me goosebumps. i truly can't move on from this series. BTW, are the movies just recaps? And if they're not recaps, what are the movies that are canon?
Dec 24, 2020 6:28 PM
Oct 2019
Kind of started losing interest awhile back. The final battle was ok; not that good. The whole series after the defeat of the spiral king was ok; not that good. And honestly, it downtrended well before then (after Kamina's death).

Oh, and, uh, what is up with pig mole boy turning back into a pig mole? Wasn't he a humanoid in the opening scene of the first episode?

I wasn't expecting Nia's death/disappearance, but it makes sense. And I think it's good storytelling. Simon was a loner/nomad all that time after defeating the anti spirals? Yoko never married either, and went back to teaching? That's just so lame.

6/10 overall, but I really liked this early on with Kamina. Oh well.
Dec 29, 2020 10:56 PM

May 2020
I thought the first 15 episodes of the series with the battle against Lordgenome and the beast men were amazing but I did not care as much for the back half of the show. My favorite episode of the last 11 was Yoko teaching the children. Boota becoming human for a while made no sense and Nia disappearing make me feel pretty indifferent. Still, it was a fun ride overall.
Jan 13, 2021 10:22 AM
May 2020
GakutoDeathGlare said:
lol, how does Kamina have almost 30,000 favourites? I bet if he didn't die so early on and was in the remaining 19 episodes, a lot more people would get tired of him and his never ending high energy. Having a spirited main character die so early, can't believe so many people fell for that and added him to their favs lol....

You didn't understand the point of Kamina

Kamina is a person put in complete hopelessness, the very edge of despair. He's not really that "High spirited" by nature. In his heart there is a weight of not going to the surface with his father. A worry of not being "strong enough".

BUT he chooses to put on a face IN ORDER TO MOTIVATE OTHERS into doing their best. He himself says it.

That's what makes him such a figure. He tries really hard to be an inspiring leader, to show no weakness to anyone, friend or foe. Not even to Simon (SPECIALLY not to Simon), in order to make them rise up and not be kept dfown or disappointed. He has to hold the spirit of the entire team, which of course crumbles when he dies, but EVEN then, they continue out of respect for his legacy.
Jan 16, 2021 12:11 AM

May 2020
Really sad ending...Simon just married Nia and left. I see another Simon though, nice!!
Jan 16, 2021 1:17 PM

Aug 2020
Great episode and anime. I just wish Simon could stay with Nia for a longer time. Overall, it was worth the watch.

Row row fight the power!

Jan 27, 2021 9:57 PM

Nov 2018
The very last scene where you see Simon come back as an old man was a beautiful and touching ending to the journey we all shared.
Jan 29, 2021 2:38 PM
Dec 2020
YOOOO !!! This was amazing !! Everything was just......hype! Honestly such a good watch. This was one of the few anime that made me go "Wow, this ended." Couldn't even sleep the night after, definitely one of my top anime!
ZioandStuffMay 17, 2021 5:27 AM
Feb 4, 2021 9:23 AM

Mar 2019
Fighter66 said:
GakutoDeathGlare said:
lol, how does Kamina have almost 30,000 favourites? I bet if he didn't die so early on and was in the remaining 19 episodes, a lot more people would get tired of him and his never ending high energy. Having a spirited main character die so early, can't believe so many people fell for that and added him to their favs lol....

You didn't understand the point of Kamina

Kamina is a person put in complete hopelessness, the very edge of despair. He's not really that "High spirited" by nature. In his heart there is a weight of not going to the surface with his father. A worry of not being "strong enough".

BUT he chooses to put on a face IN ORDER TO MOTIVATE OTHERS into doing their best. He himself says it.

That's what makes him such a figure. He tries really hard to be an inspiring leader, to show no weakness to anyone, friend or foe. Not even to Simon (SPECIALLY not to Simon), in order to make them rise up and not be kept dfown or disappointed. He has to hold the spirit of the entire team, which of course crumbles when he dies, but EVEN then, they continue out of respect for his legacy.

So Erwin Smith deserves atleast 50k right? Very similar character origins btw. Because of everything you mentioned, he does it better. He is humanity's greatest commander.
Sinzou wo Sasageyo!!

Anime was it's best 20000 years ago, when cavemen drew art with real depth.
Modern anime is all garbage. I miss great old days of anime.
Feb 15, 2021 12:42 AM

Feb 2020
It's finally over. Sadly this was not the type of series that I enjoy. Action is generally the most boring part of anime for me, so this was sleep-inducing most of the time. The only characters I liked were Rossiu, when he displayed some common sense in the first half of the second arc, and Yoko's midriff. I was not invested in the conflict either since I'm not a big fan of the "always be yourself, only believe in yourself"-philosophy. Sadly Trigger seems to always go for this (I know this is technically Gainax but the director of this founded Trigger and in the only other anime by Gainax that I have seen (NGE) this was not present).
3/10 glad it's over
I will now happily return to Gundam.
Mar 8, 2021 1:49 PM

Nov 2017
Great ending 9/10. Kind of wish Simon ended up with Yoko instead of them both being alone. At least everyone was happy but it was for sure bittersweet as so many people died. Series overall is a life message about not giving into doubt in life.
Mar 16, 2021 8:46 AM
Aug 2018
Guys, Simon says "creates the heavens" or "pierce the heavens" in the last episode?

I don't know if the translation was wrong, because the kamina ever said "pierces the heavens"
Apr 16, 2021 5:05 PM

Mar 2021
Man this series will forever be one of my all time favorites. Even on a rewatch everything still hits the same as if it was my first time watching. This is probably the most hype episode of anime I've ever watched tbh and I don't think anything will top it. I fucking love Gurren Lagann so much.

10/10
“Without love, it cannot be seen.”
May 19, 2021 3:59 PM
Jul 2018
Well, that was one hell of a ride. Definitely one of the most puzzling series for me. There was so much I loved about this. The fights look amazing. The soundtrack is good when it tries. And kamina and viral and two fantastic characters. However, there's also a lot that I hate about this. For a show that was sold to me as nonstop off the wall action, there was a lot of this that dragged. On top of the 2 recap episodes and a beach episode, from kamina death to timeskip was just boring monster of the week with no stakes. If I could rate that section alone it would be a 2/10, seriously.
But, while parts of this dragged, other parts were pretty awesome. Namely this last fight, that was cool. Obligatory happy ending is obligatory, no complaints there. Old rossiu and Simon look weird, lol.
Honestly have no idea what to rate this. Part of me wants to give this a 4 while another part wants to give this an 8. I don't know, I had fun with it for the most part so that's all that matters.
May 23, 2021 6:36 PM
May 2021
FierceVinegar said:
ending makes no sense, he acts like he could bring them back but chooses not to because???

I think it's because even if Spiral Power could bring back the dead, it wouldn't truly accomplish anything. People have to learn to let go and move on, making way for the new people. To keep bringing back Nia or the others would reinforce stagnancy (which is pretty much what the Anti-Spiral was trying to accomplish). Not to mention the consequences of abusing Spiral Power potentially leads to the Spiral Nemesis, which could easily happen if you keep reviving the dead (this is under the pretense that people usually respond with "just bring her back for a little while longer!" How long is long enough? Many people will continue to extend their lives for one reason or another. Gurren Lagann is about moving forward and accepting that while our time is limited we can and should keep going.)

Bayon_ said:
Guys, Simon says "creates the heavens" or "pierce the heavens" in the last episode?

I don't know if the translation was wrong, because the kamina ever said "pierces the heavens"

Kamina uses the word "pierce", and Simon does too until the end when he does use "create". He's basically saying that the Anti-Spiral's reign of stagnancy will end, making new space for all Spiral races to expand and develop.

Sorry for rambling, I ended up just reading a couple of posts and wanted to share my thoughts.
May 23, 2021 8:50 PM
Aug 2018
velencourte said:

Bayon_ said:

Kamina uses the word "pierce", and Simon does too until the end when he does use "create". He's basically saying that the Anti-Spiral's reign of stagnancy will end, making new space for all Spiral races to expand and develop.

Sorry for rambling, I ended up just reading a couple of posts and wanted to share my thoughts.

That's it, I even researched later if he really said "create", and yes, it is "create"
May 24, 2021 2:01 AM
Oct 2016
[quote=velencourte message=63251111]
FierceVinegar said:

I think it's because even if Spiral Power could bring back the dead, it wouldn't truly accomplish anything. People have to learn to let go and move on, making way for the new people. To keep bringing back Nia or the others would reinforce stagnancy (which is pretty much what the Anti-Spiral was trying to accomplish). Not to mention the consequences of abusing Spiral Power potentially leads to the Spiral Nemesis, which could easily happen if you keep reviving the dead (this is under the pretense that people usually respond with "just bring her back for a little while longer!" How long is long enough? Many people will continue to extend their lives for one reason or another. Gurren Lagann is about moving forward and accepting that while our time is limited we can and should keep going.)

yeah but they didnt die naturally they died in battle so its not about stagnancy or about moving on its about correcting errors that shouldn't have happened
Jun 25, 2021 7:59 AM
Aug 2020
The second half was way better than the first, but I really disliked that gutpunch at the end. Why the heck did Nia have to die after all this?
Storm1988Jun 25, 2021 9:39 AM
Jul 2, 2021 2:21 PM
Daydreamer

Mar 2020
It's amazing how this show can be so ignorant/GAR and brainful/intellectual at the same time. The last battle was so epic and climatic that it was teardropping. The bittersweet ending was so unfair for my tastes. The last arc, especially last episodes shout for a 10/10 but the first part wasn't at the same level, still solid tho, and there were some little flaws and things that didn't convince me in general, so I think I will stick with "only" 9/10, maybe a 9,2 if we want to count the decimals. I could give a heartfelt vote and turn this into a 10 anyway, but no, too bittersweet ending. Overall amazing series, at the beginning I didn't understand how this was considered a masterpiece by the majority of the viewers, it felt more like a solid action/shounen-ish mecha anime, even a bit childish because of some villains, but with the last arc it showed successfully the great phylosophy behind the story and became much deeper, more mature while still keeping its badass spirit.
I can understand now why it's rated so high, and I agree with it being a top tier anime, 9/10 definitely gives the justice it deserves.
Thrasher96Jul 4, 2021 3:55 AM
Jul 4, 2021 4:04 AM

Apr 2016
i dont get the hype of this show. It took me over 1 year to complete this show (with many breaks). This is my top 1 series where I fell asleep most often while watching.

Although I think the idea with the spiral and the deeper meaning behind it is good, it just makes the series veeery predictable. Unbelievable how many "Epic" or "Awesome" comments there were, or "I cry like a baby" because of the death of a supporting character. I dont care any of the deahts.

Since I still liked the first episodes and the OP and ED are really good, I give the series 5/10

Jul 4, 2021 10:20 AM

Apr 2020
TTGL Writer: OK its the series finale we need it to be EPIC! But how much more epic can I make this. Oh well here goes. So what if um, we use the physical manifestation of the COSMIC UNIVERSE to defeat the villain. OK great! Done!

What show can possibly top this?
Jul 19, 2021 9:04 AM

Sep 2020
Oh boy, poor Yoko. She'll remain single :(
Anyway, Kamina would be so proud of what his brother did.

9/10.
Jul 31, 2021 2:37 PM
Dec 2012
I can't believe I wait so long to finally watch this amazing anime. I literally cried.
Jul 31, 2021 6:27 PM
Jul 2018
huh well, for an ending episode this was one of the best ive ever seen. however, cant really say i liked the rest of the series nearly as much so overall ill give this a 5 or 6 i guess.
Aug 15, 2021 9:26 PM

Aug 2020
Really good conclusion to a very good anime.

8/10 for the anime.
Oct 12, 2021 2:07 PM
Feb 2021
Bitter-sweet ending I guessed because main characters didn't get to get together and had to be separated. Many lifes were lost in the battle against Anti Spiral king
while yesterday enemy becomes the today allies. Lordgenome also joined the battle to vanquish Anti Spiral. Feels like, they(As) were just deluding whole time being under the wrong impression of Spiral force obliterating universe because of the spirit and power they possessed. Nia dissipated after marrying with Simon, other got to live happily and Simon was a old man living his life alone doing what he was best for and It was what make him to carve the best future for tomorrow. Everyone grew old while Viral still protecting the Universe working with human whom he despised most in the beginning. I wish he would have got married. Encapsulating the whole thing, anime was done perfectly, battles were nice, emotions flows while watching to the end and most importantly I like the message conveyed by the ending, "Human spirit is limitless".
Nov 2, 2021 4:25 AM

Mar 2021
Holy fuck the hype in that fight is insane. The scales are astronomical, just wow. Mechas throwing galaxies at eachother, GODDAMN THAT WAS SO HYPE.

The ending is really nice, I cried at a lot of the scenes that were shown. Simon growing old also hit me hard :(

I LOVE THIS SHOW!!!!!!!! It's definitely one of my favorites now. JUST PURE MACHO OVER THE TOP TESTOSTERONE HYPE. MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OdabraniNov 2, 2021 4:30 AM

Dec 18, 2021 9:23 AM
Nov 2020
"We evolve. Beyond the person we were a minute before. Little by little, we advance a bit further with each turn. THAT'S HOW A DRILL WORKS!" -Simon.
Dec 25, 2021 8:30 AM

Jul 2021
Awesome ending for a fantastic journey. Too bad Simon didn't get such a happy ending.
Jan 11, 2022 4:23 AM
May 2021
Omg this was one hell of a final episode. Just amazing 🔥🔥🔥🔥. Sad to see after so much accomplishment Simon lost Nia and even at the time of wedding. That was really sad man. Both the lovers of Youko died ( Kamina and Kitan) poor girl. And the series ended with bittersweet ending with everyone in old age. Now they are trying to stop spiral nemesis. And tr ye hero Simon just wandering the earth. Great series 10/10 🔥🔥🔥
Jan 13, 2022 2:02 PM
Mar 2017
Really an average show for me. It wasn't bad but a bit over the top and not that I love sappy endings but c'mon. Simon loses Nia and more or less dissappears right after. Yuki also kinda does the same. The 2 main characters get no happy ending whatsoever :(
6.5/10 and I'm generous and round up but it wasn't really that good :/
Jan 26, 2022 2:55 AM

Oct 2020
Pretty decent ending. I wouldn't say I'm fully satisfied with how it ended but this anime as a whole was still really good.

They shouldn't have killed Nina, I know why they did that but still :(

I like how after so many years Leeron still looks young lol.

3/5 ending, it was ok.

Overall I'd rate this anime a 7/10.

"FALL OFF YOUR HORSE!" - Gyro Zeppeli
Feb 8, 2022 5:35 PM

Jan 2016
That was a damn good show. Entertaining and the battles were satisfying. I would have give it a full 10, but because there were so many asspulls I’ll give it a 8.5/10. Not sure why they looked like they aged 60 when they’re probably in 40’s. Rip to the Yoko and Simon shippers though.

Feb 24, 2022 1:17 AM

Dec 2020
Detector1977 said:
Really an average show for me. It wasn't bad but a bit over the top and not that I love sappy endings but c'mon. Simon loses Nia and more or less dissappears right after. Yuki also kinda does the same. The 2 main characters get no happy ending whatsoever :(
6.5/10 and I'm generous and round up but it wasn't really that good :/
I get you, it's like show couldn't decide which way it wants to head. But falls into cliche overused tropes instead.

For me the peak was episode 8. Then it follows something very similar to Tri-gun. So yeah 5-6/10 whatever feels adequate.
Apr 15, 2022 5:32 AM
Dec 2020
A solid way to end this series, could've added 1 more episode for the aftermath of the battle, but ig it's alright.
Imo 8/10
Apr 15, 2022 5:11 PM
Jul 2018
Great ending, they were fighting on the galaxies like they were nothing for them.
Yoko & Simom both characters get the sad ending and Nia also died.
I truly wanted Simom to end up with Nia and live a happy life.
Amazing series, I loved it from start to finish!
For me 8.5/10 anime!
removed-userApr 15, 2022 5:51 PM
Apr 23, 2022 6:17 AM
May 2019
After the first episode, I knew I was really going to like this show
After episode 5, I thought "I @#$%ing love this show!!"
And I gotta admit. I greatly preferred the first half to the post time skip. But I also understand why they didn't do like other shows and keep that story going forever. They had a plot and message they felt was very important, and they wanted to be certain that they would bring it to a definite conclusion. I have a lot of respect for that because some shows have no idea how to advance the plot or write an ending to an otherwise good story. Ash in Pokémon for example seems like he's going to be a kid and an amateur trainer.
If I had to have any criticism. I wish they would have kept up with the comedy and concentrated more on the main characters. But I could have probably watched three seasons with the original trio and still wanted more. lol
Man, they really did all of our main characters dirty with that ending. And yes again, I understand why. But ya just can't keep making me love these characters and constantly pull the rug out from under me like that! "And everyone lived and died as a single, lonely old maid. The end." Too cruel Gainax. And it only makes me headcannon an alternate universe where Simon is with Nia and Kamina is with Yoko and they're all adventuring happy together. But that's just all me rambling. Damn good show
Jun 1, 2022 7:04 PM

Dec 2020
I was skeptical when I started this anime and it was a bit up and down for me for the first 5 episodes but I'm glad I finished it.

This goes down as one of the best anime endings of all time and best final episodes(s) along with the ones that preceded it.

Jun 9, 2022 7:18 PM

Feb 2021
It took the energy of an entire universe for humans to get their own point across
Aug 17, 2022 7:04 PM

Apr 2018
Holy shit, that's a fight on the biggest scale possible. Throwing galaxies left and right, jumping on them and even creating an attack that is on pair with the creation of the universe? This are some next level feats. Anti-Spiral almost managed to grab the Earth itself but Gai-Durran makes the impossible possible and defeated him. That was for sure one of the sickest battles ever. Another time skip on top of a timeskip? Everyone's old while Viral is still young as ever. Simon's out there doing side quests as an old geezer. A beautiful ending nontheless...

Well, Gurren Lagann was full of epic and emotional moments. It did take me 3 monhts to watch episode 13-17. Everything after Kamina's death felt a little bit less enjoyable for me. Even though TTGL had a very great cast, their deaths weren't as great but whatever. If Kamina was there till the end, this would be a 10/10 in my book. Simon did grow into a fine man later on, on pair with Kamina.

Aside from the characters and story, the animation and soundtrack where phenomenal for a 2007 adaptation. The OST near the end and the insert song were just incredible.

It's a 8/10. Sadly, did not enter my favorite list.

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Aug 31, 2022 3:41 PM
Aug 2021
it made me cry 0\10
Sep 3, 2022 4:20 PM
Sep 2022
Un anime muy epico diria que el mas epico que he visto en mi vida , es casi perfecto se lo recomendaria a cualquiera
Sep 27, 2022 5:47 PM
Jul 2022
Great ending to a classic show
Sep 28, 2022 5:19 AM

Jun 2019
The Ending was packed with Epicenes.
Never have I seen an Anime so well paced with such perfection... this was an experience.

"Who the Heck do you think I am!" :D
Pages (24) « First ... « 20 21 [22] 23 24 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

windy - Sep 1, 2007

162 by TheStarscream759 »»
May 30, 8:04 PM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

windy - Aug 25, 2007

180 by TheStarscream759 »»
May 30, 7:33 PM

» Too much sexism and homophobia here, I feel bad

Dije - May 10

22 by KayKimii »»
May 10, 9:40 AM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Krelian - Apr 25, 2007

204 by Trash_Monkeyy »»
Apr 16, 11:27 AM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

windy - Aug 19, 2007

174 by TheStarscream759 »»
Apr 1, 12:51 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.